Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

(Okay...so somehow, my draft didn't save when I tried to switch from one page to another to reply to comments on both - and sometimes, Soompi will save a draft even after I've posted the real thing...what gives?)

11 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

1st one is Ojakgyo team cheering on Joo Won first movie Special Investigation Unit. It's sad them two of them has left this earth. RIP.

Thanks for sharing this! I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it is pretty surreal to realize that two of the main cast members have already passed away by now. I guess that's a testament to just how long ago Ojakgyo Brothers actually was: a lot can happen in nine years...

Firefighter is movie based on real event. Chances are relationship here will be pretty platonic and serious too.

Another is because it'll be a serious one as it's based on real tragic event and he got to act with seasoned movie actors.

I didn't know that Firefighter was based on a true story - would anyone happen to know which incident it refers to?

After I got fond of K-Drama I seldom watch k-movie. These days I mostly watch movies that my favourite drama actor-actress are doing.

Don't worry; I never actually got into watching Korean movies to start with. I have seen a few - and I do have a list of films to get through - but I somehow never get around to it. Maybe it's because most of the films I have seen lack the narrative depth that I've come to expect and love from the K-dramas - 2 hours just might not be enough for the stories I want to see being told :P 

And, in case anyone's wondering - no, I haven't watched Parasite. :P To be honest, I'm definitely happy for its Oscar win and I've heard great things about its social commentary - but I've also heard that it's graphically violent at times, and that scares me.

8 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

(Back in the time when we didn't have selfie camera)

Oh, man - that takes me back. Hey, at least JW has a flip phone that could do this. I still remember when people tried to take selfies with their actual cameras :P 

I have to say, though, that for someone who can't see the screen, JW's got a really good aim (based on what we can see of the phone's screen).

• Like 2
  • Replies 57.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Okay...so somehow, my draft didn't save when I tried to switch from one page to another to reply to comments on both - and sometimes, Soompi will save a draft even after I've posted the real thing...what gives?)

Frequently happens with me.. so I try to write in word file first if I have time. But I sometimes don't remember to that. Things get lost. But after I'm done with my post I sometimes see it being saved later. :sweatingbullets:

I didn't know that Firefighter was based on a true story - would anyone happen to know which incident it refers to?

I can't be 100% sure but this could be the actual event.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2003/01/05/socialAffairs/Six-Seoul-Firemen-Perish-When-Building-Collapses-/1885289.html

In mydramalist it says it's a 2001 hongje-dong fire event but I didn't find any on that year.

https://mydramalist.com/57419-firefighters

I have seen a few - and I do have a list of films to get through - but I somehow never get around to it. Maybe it's because most of the films I have seen lack the narrative depth that I've come to expect and love from the K-dramas - 2 hours just might not be enough for the stories I want to see being told :P 

And, in case anyone's wondering - no, I haven't watched Parasite. :P To be honest, I'm definitely happy for its Oscar win and I've heard great things about its social commentary - but I've also heard that it's graphically violent at times, and that scares me.

That happens sometimes with me too.. I just feel sometimes with kmovies that the story is missing something or may be the presentation and organization is missing something. But of course there k movies that I loved too..Many of the melodramatic movies are my favourite. Also I'm more of a drama person. I just love how KDramas has enough episode so I can enjoy it but not long enough that it needs season. Because don't feel like committing my self to season based shows. Part 1/Part 2 is tolerable but Season style is not my type.

I didn't watch Parasite. I didn't watch Train to Busan. They say even those who never watch Korean things before have watched these two..I didn't watch Joo Won's 'Don't click'. I don't really enjoy horror. But sometimes I feel like watching it. He looks so cute there.

Oh, man - that takes me back. Hey, at least JW has a flip phone that could do this. I still remember when people tried to take selfies with their actual cameras :P 

I have to say, though, that for someone who can't see the screen, JW's got a really good aim (based on what we can see of the phone's screen).

Chances are he's taking photos with fans phone for them. Joo Won does that with fans who are really close to him or he knows them for a long time. I saw a video of him doing that on Army Fest 2017.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I see. Well, I wonder which aspect of the incident (if it is this one) the movie will address: what happened in the initial fire, the aftermath, or both. If it's the first one, though...why do I have a feeling this may not end well for JW's character? :sad1:

By the way, I thought it was interesting just how detailed the article got into some of the deceased firefighters' stories and backgrounds. That's not the sort of thing that would get much focus where I live (at least not in the initial reporting - maybe in a second, follow-up report, though), so it was both really sad, but also really fascinating, to read.

Also I'm more of a drama person. I just love how KDramas has enough episode so I can enjoy it but not long enough that it needs season. Because don't feel like committing my self to season based shows. Part 1/Part 2 is tolerable but Season style is not my type.

I can't really do the seasons approach all that much - maybe it's because, if you watch in "real time", that means you're committing years to watching a particular show, and my real life busy-ness doesn't always allow for that. Nor could I, like so many others here in North America, binge watch a series in a shorter period of time either. However, the biggest weakness to a season-style drama (which is the norm here) is that the stories either end up stretching on endlessly; or, if a show is unfortunate enough to get cancelled after fewer seasons than the writers anticipated, they end up cutting off on some really awkward point.

lol - I guess I like my stories long and in-depth, but still ultimately finite :P 

I didn't watch Parasite. I didn't watch Train to Busan. They say even those who never watch Korean things before have watched these two..I didn't watch Joo Won's 'Don't click'. I don't really enjoy horror. But sometimes I feel like watching it. He looks so cute there.

I...didn't watch Train to Busan either. Just not a horror or zombie apocalypse fan :P However, it's worth noting that Shim Eun Kyung had a brief appearance there as Patient 0 (i.e. the first infected person) on the train, and I've heard good things about that particular performance.

(Speaking of apocalyptic stories, one drama that's been highly recommended to me but that I'm still too scared to watch is D-Day. First, it's because I was already terrified by the earthquake segment in Descendants of the Sun and didn't need that experience repeated again. But now, just as I thought I was ready for it, COVID-19 happened, and...nope. Nope. Not interested in watching a medical disaster drama when I could just see that by turning on the news.)

I've watched JW's more lighthearted films - Catch Me and Fashion King - and they were fun as just light entertainment. Campy and over-the-top, yes, but that was also kind of the point ;) 

That happens sometimes with me too.. I just feel sometimes with kmovies that the story is missing something or may be the presentation and organization is missing something. But of course there k movies that I loved too..Many of the melodramatic movies are my favourite.

As for something that's deeper...my personal favourite Korean movie that I've watched so far is The Throne. On the one hand, it's about Joseon-era court politics and whatnot, but on the other hand, it's a very human tragedy about a deteriorating father-son relationship. That micro perspective, combined with some really strong acting, is what pushed it to the top for me :) 

Chances are he's taking photos with fans phone for them. Joo Won does that with fans who are really close to him or he knows them for a long time. I saw a video of him doing that on Army Fest 2017.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too - and I think that's a really awesome memento to receive for the fans who do run into him :)

Finally, I just want to give a little nod to this cute moment from the "Room of Memory" interview - It's funny that it came almost right after JW said he wasn't worried or scared, almost like the show's writers went, "Okay, then - we'll give you something :naughty:" And by the way, am I the only one who got vague Alice in Wonderland vibes from this bit as well? You know, what with the old Victorian-style room, the teacup, the masked interviewer, etc.?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I see. Well, I wonder which aspect of the incident (if it is this one) the movie will address: what happened in the initial fire, the aftermath, or both. If it's the first one, though...why do I have a feeling this may not end well for JW's character? 

JW probably mentioned it briefly in SBS radio show that while doing this movie most of the actors got to learn more deeply about the tragic event. I already assumed JW is playing one of the firefighters who died. And if look at list of actor who's playing Firefighter that's exactly 6 like the story above. These guys can be the main 6 firefighter who died. It's such a tragedy the reason the six firefighters ended up staying in that place is because they were trying to save someone who's not there in the first place and later suspected to be the reason of the fire.

I overlooked the real character stories given in the news because I just briefly glanced on it. But I now you said it I went to read the whole news.

Joo won probably is playing this role and Lee Yoo Young probably the Fiance?

Park Joon-woo, 32, another of the victims, was scheduled to marry his fiancee in a week. Weeping, the fiancee, Chang Mi-kyung, showed reporters the cell phone message she had received from Mr. Park the night before the fire. It read: "I'll always care for you."

Just having a guess..

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Speaking of apocalyptic stories, one drama that's been highly recommended to me but that I'm still too scared to watch is D-Day. First, it's because I was already terrified by the earthquake segment in Descendants of the Sun and didn't need that experience repeated again. But now, just as I thought I was ready for it, COVID-19 happened, and...nope. Nope. Not interested in watching a medical disaster drama when I could just see that by turning on the news.)

D-Day was quite different.. as far I remember I liked it. And I liked that it had a vibe of multiple character focus done in a good way. I liked DOTS too, those tragic moments were really hard to take but tragedy didn't last long as it was a Rom-Com Melo.. But sometimes I also avoid apocalyptic stories specially earthquake. I remember once I went watching an Avenger movie (most probably part 2) with my friends. It was my first time watching Avengers and last because I'm not that into Marvel or DC. So that movie showed something like earthquake. I remember I was just waiting for the show to end because all I could remember was the event of Nepal Earthquake that happened that year. And I was thinking Nepal is a country that's close to mine. What if it happens here! Oh...

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Finally, I just want to give a little nod to this cute moment from the "Room of Memory" interview - It's funny that it came almost right after JW said he wasn't worried or scared, almost like the show's writers went, "Okay, then - we'll give you something :naughty:"

I like how he was adamant on not admitting that worries and teasing the interviewer but later he just ends up being sincere that he has lots of worries.. I love how interactive he is though he may've felt a bit lonely (as if talking by himself) as the interviewer was far form him. 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

JW probably mentioned it briefly in SBS radio show that while doing this movie most of the actors got to learn more deeply about the tragic event. I already assumed JW is playing one of the firefighters who died. And if look at list of actor who's playing Firefighter that's exactly 6 like the story above. These guys can be the main 6 firefighter who died. It's such a tragedy the reason the six firefighters ended up staying in that place is because they were trying to save someone who's not there in the first place and later suspected to be the reason of the fire.

Considering that there's so much more to be told after the accident itself, I feel like this film may take a non-chronological approach (e.g. investigating the cause of the fire on the one hand while showing what happened in flashbacks on the other). But it's hard to say.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

I overlooked the real character stories given in the news because I just briefly glanced on it. But I now you said it I went to read the whole news.

Joo won probably is playing this role and Lee Yoo Young probably the Fiance?

Park Joon-woo, 32, another of the victims, was scheduled to marry his fiancee in a week. Weeping, the fiancee, Chang Mi-kyung, showed reporters the cell phone message she had received from Mr. Park the night before the fire. It read: "I'll always care for you."

Just having a guess..

It's interesting that the production has kept the casting so secretive thus far. Like, the film's already finished shooting, and we still don't know which characters anybody's playing. 

However, I think your hypothesis makes sense - JW's definitely the maknae out of the six main male actors, and this firefighter is also the maknae out of the three whose stories were given in greater detail. Also, come to think of it, the whole "final text/call" thing is totally something JW would actually do. But dang it - I was hoping he'd get a heartwarming story about the good things firefighters do for people, and this is just sad :criesariver:

But sometimes I also avoid apocalyptic stories specially earthquake. I remember once I went watching an Avenger movie (most probably part 2) with my friends. It was my first time watching Avengers and last because I'm not that into Marvel or DC. So that movie showed something like earthquake. I remember I was just waiting for the show to end because all I could remember was the event of Nepal Earthquake that happened that year. And I was thinking Nepal is a country that's close to mine. What if it happens here! Oh...

For me, I think it's remembering footage from major building collapses like 9/11 (which many people where I live saw unfolding in real time). Like, there's something so horrifying about how hundreds - if not thousands - of lives could be lost just like that, and there's literally nothing they could do about it to escape because it all happens so quickly.

But for me, the concern with D-Day - in addition to the earthquake footage - is about all the issues that doctors and frontline medical workers have to face. Living so close to the United States, I saw and read so many news stories and social media posts about just how traumatizing COVID-19 has been for the frontline workers (the desperation to save lives coupled with the fact that resources are way too limited to do so), and I know that's a major theme in D-Day as well.

Looks like we've both been shaken by disasters that didn't directly affect us but that affected people close enough to us that it still felt like they did. ;) 

I like how he was adamant on not admitting that worries and teasing the interviewer but later he just ends up being sincere that he has lots of worries.. I love how interactive he is though he may've felt a bit lonely (as if talking by himself) as the interviewer was far form him. 

Another thing I liked is that some parts of the interview were just him reacting to the old footage - it's like the producers left it up to him what stories he wished to tell :) 

• Like 3

Okay, I anticipate that things will be quiet on the updates front for the next little bit - at least until the Blue Dragon Awards. However...I can't be the only one who always half-expects to log on to Soompi and find some sort of announcement about theatre closures/restrictions in Seoul, right? You know, what with the number of COVID-19 cases still going up in the Seoul area, further restrictions being placed on crowd sizes, etc. It'd be unfortunate if that happens and Ghost gets cut, but if it does, I can't be the only fan who hopes that JW would concede gracefully.

(Sorry; I know that's a pretty depressing note to start on, but it is what crosses my mind now whenever I see "South Korea" flashing across my TV screen in a news headline.)

That being said, though I am popping by today with a collection of miscellaneous goodies - some more directly related to JW than others :P 

Once again with the awesome fanart - I have to say, I've been consistently blown away by this artist's speed. Like, how many new pieces have I shared so far???

Should anyone get a chance to travel to Seoul, here's the real Chinese restaurant they used when filming Alice. Obviously, the name is different from the drama version, but if anyone wanted to check out a shooting location for themselves, here you go.

Finally, something that's not directly JW-related, but that still reminded me of him - or, more specifically, a character he played. Long story short, December of 2020 was slated to be a huge deal in the classical music world, since it marks the 250th anniversary of Beethoven's birth. COVID-19 obviously threw a monkey wrench into a lot of the planned tributes in Germany and Austria (concerts, museum exhibitions, etc.), but I did stumble across this interview/mini-recital hosted by the Haus der Musik in Vienna, and...well, this six-year-old kid just really gave off "mini Cha Yoo Jin" vibes for me. I'm not sure exactly what's reminding me of him here; but when I visualized mini-Yoo Jin giving interviews at that age (a thing I have for his backstory in Seolleim in Salzburg), he would have looked and sounded similar to this.

Before anyone asks: no, I don't understand the vast majority of the German, either. So, for instance, the interviewer (who's a professional violinist) asks him why he chose to play piano. It sounds like there may be a family connection here, because he mentions that his father's a "dirigent" (i.e. "conductor"), after which I hear something about "klavier spielen" (i.e. "plays the piano"). She also asks him about his approach to the piece he's chosen to perform - I can't make out what he answers, but just that it's in contrast to "traurig" (i.e. "sad") and "schnell" (i.e. "fast/quick").

So...something about being from a musical family, and something about not just playing fast for the sake of it...? Maybe - or maybe I might just be really bad at mishearing things for the handful of individual German words I do know :P Anyway, just thought I'd share the video because I thought it was cute, in a musically nerdy sort of way.

• Insightful 2
11 hours ago, kittyna said:

Okay, I anticipate that things will be quiet on the updates front for the next little bit - at least until the Blue Dragon Awards. However...I can't be the only one who always half-expects to log on to Soompi and find some sort of announcement about theatre closures/restrictions in Seoul, right? You know, what with the number of COVID-19 cases still going up in the Seoul area, further restrictions being placed on crowd sizes, etc. It'd be unfortunate if that happens and Ghost gets cut, but if it does, I can't be the only fan who hopes that JW would concede gracefully.

(Sorry; I know that's a pretty depressing note to start on, but it is what crosses my mind now whenever I see "South Korea" flashing across my TV screen in a news headline.)

I thought you guys already know.. Ghost Production actually cut some of its performance from 5th December till 19th December at least. So Ghost team are actually having a break from performance in order to maintain covid safety in time of increasing cases.

Also even if a decision is being it'd not just be Joowon's decision. It will probably be productions decision along with other community or govt. Authorities who are in control of making decisions and suggestions what and when to avoid. 

I hope Ghost team do not get disheartened rather take the chance to get some much needed rest.

Translation:

"Musical Ghost 12/5 (Sat) ~ 12/19 (Sat) Discontinuation Notice

In accordance with the Seoul City Corona 19 Prevention Stage Upgrade Policy, Musical < ghost > The performance will be suspended for 15 days.

※ Interrupted performance episode: 12/5 (Sat) ~ 12/19 (Sat)

※ Batch cancellation time: From 12/4 (Fri) onwards

※ Resumption of performances: Resumption from 12/20 (Sun) performance"

I'm glad to see Ghost production abiding by proper safety measures. Because so far we have seen multiple times seating capacity has been decreased due to Covid rules and now they cut the performance for long time in order to see the situation.

There's also some news that Blue Dragon award might be postponed and take place in upcoming January. But I think the news has not been confirmed yet.

12 hours ago, kittyna said:

Once again with the awesome fanart - I have to say, I've been consistently blown away by this artist's speed. Like, how many new pieces have I shared so far???

Wow.. that's some art! :wow2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I thought you guys already know.. Ghost Production actually cut some of its performance from 5th December till 19th December at least. So Ghost team are actually having a break from performance in order to maintain covid safety in time of increasing cases.

No, I didn't know about this - I thought that what would happen to Ghost would be similar to what happened on Broadway, in my city, or in Europe, where theatres were simply ordered closed by government mandate as part of a larger sweeping lockdown. So I thought I'd only find out about this from checking up on general Hallyu news or even international/world news.

By the way, now that you mentioned it, I backtracked on my "joowon" tag search on Instagram and finally found the cluster of Instagram posts when this happened. lol - turns out I missed it because it was buried by everything surrounding JW's appearance on KBS by the time I checked :P 

Also even if a decision is being it'd not just be Joowon's decision. It will probably be productions decision along with other community or govt. Authorities who are in control of making decisions and suggestions what and when to avoid. 

I'm glad to see Ghost production abiding by proper safety measures. Because so far we have seen multiple times seating capacity has been decreased due to Covid rules and now they cut the performance for long time in order to see the situation.

I never thought that any decision would be initiated by JW or any of his fellow cast members. Rather, as you've pointed out, my hope has only been that when the suspension/closure/lockdown/whatever did come, JW would just accept it gracefully - because experience from here in North America has taught me that, no, not all celebrities actually would :unsure: But it seems like that's the general direction everyone with Ghost is going in, at least publicly :thumbsup:

(Of course, it'd only be natural for JW and co to be disappointed - but I'm glad that they're not letting that get in the way of the overall message about public health and safety.)

Because interestingly enough, knowing that performances have been suspended temporarily...is actually a relief for me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I've always been worried that Ghost's cast and crew would insist on performing (or complain about government-mandated cancellations on social media) - and I think I've also been worried about what continuing to consume Hallyu-related content whilst a pandemic is going on says about my ethics as a fan (because the only way to consume is for more to be produced). But now the decision's been made, public health has won out as a priority, and I find myself feeling proud that my first reaction is to think that Ghost made the right choice.

• Like 3

So, I just found out about this now because it showed up in my YouTube recommendations, but there was a little mini-feature about Kim Tae Hee on the same KBS program JW appeared in:

It's just a coincidence, of course - but I thought it was a cute one :) 

I also want to announce that in addition to working slowly (but surely!) on the Seolleim in Salzburg finale, work has also started on my Christmas Special for this year. I won't reveal which drama it's for right away (need to have written enough for a good teaser first), but I do think you guys will consider it an appropriate choice for 2020. :) 

Just for the record, I've done Christmas Special fics twice in the past: one for Nae Il's Cantabile in 2017 and one for Yong Pal in 2019.

• Like 1

And Ghost performance suspension got extended till 28th December until further notice.

Translation:

12/6 (Sun) Following the government's 2.5 step social distancing measures, the Seoul Metropolitan Government issued a guideline to extend the reinforced measures from 12/8 (Tue) 0 o'clock to 12/28 (Mon) 24 o'clock. Accordingly < ghost > The performance of the performance during and after the temporary suspension period of Please check the contents of the image.

Again I hope Team Ghost won't be too disheartened. Covid is just making things so difficult for people in so many different level.

Oh and Blue Dragon got postponed too..

https://www.soompi.com/article/1441620wpp/41st-blue-dragon-film-awards-shares-details-about-ceremony-including-performers-and-red-carpet-event

(A source from the awards ceremony stated, “There is growing social concern over the uncontrolled rise in COVID-19 cases, so we have decided to guard as much as possible against further spread and postpone the ceremony for the safety of the filmmakers. We ask for the understanding of all the actors, film industry personnel, media personnel, and audience members involved, and pray that the COVID-19 situation will soon be contained.”

Another statement read, “More than any other year, the 41st Blue Dragon Film Awards had a highly competitive and diverse lineup of nominees. Rather than just an awards ceremony, it was meant to give hope and comfort to the film industry, which has suffered due to COVID-19. But the explosive rise in COVID-19 cases means that we must put the filmmakers’ safety first and postpone the ceremony.”)

If the situation doesn't improve I fear year end drama award will get cancelled or postponed. Even if it miss the timing I hope it will have a chance to take place rather than get cancelled. I remember JW saying he was watching year end awards ceremonies in Tv in Army and it felt really wired to him missing that for the first time since TV debut. He expressed he just want to enjoy sitting there doesn't matter if he wins or not. So, hopefully situation will improve and the year end drama awards will take place even if it's posponed. 

So chances are we won't be getting our expected JW stuffs anytime soon unless he personally updates something on IG or vlive. As long he's safe and sound it's alright. He will probably feel down that this is happening, last time his performance got affected because of cold this time the whole word is affected by Covid. I hope he makes some time to chat with fans via vlive. That'll be a mood booster for fans and himself as well.

Above all I hope and pray the world heals soon from covid 19.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

And Ghost performance suspension got extended till 28th December until further notice.

On the bright side, joo won will be able to take break or would likely start reading new scripts for next drama, now that he has time at his disposal.

34 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Again I hope Team Ghost won't be too disheartened. Covid is just making things so difficult for people in so many different level.

I did not know COVID-19 cases are surging in South Korea, I thought they got it under control. :worried: Now that Vaccine is around the corner I thought there will be ease of restrictions, guess Korean authorities are not taking any chances.

Joo won's Instagram update

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Though his caption is a smiley, his masked expression doesn't look smiley (because his eyes are looking full) It looksrather down.Or is it just me?

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:
4 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

28th December until further notice.

On the bright side, joo won will be able to take break or would likely start reading new scripts for next drama, now that he has time at his disposal.

I also like to think on bright side and also believe safety should always be the major concern. But the following things I'm writing are my observation of overall situation as a whole.

I also thought JW and team Ghost should take it as much needed rest when the suspension was till 17th but now that it got extended it might be rather uncomfortable for them- whether it could be resumed after that or not. Also Ghost Production team has many things planned for congratulating Korean CSAT examinees, Christmas and New year celebrations. All of these were supposed to be on December-January. JW had major show in both Christmas and New Year. And prior to this a long suspension has been decided in order to ensure safety. Considering all circumstances Team Ghost will bound to be sad. But it's also not just Team Ghost there are many other musical and stage played going around in South Korea. They probably had same things planned and got postponed. So overall mood of the platform will be in a disheartened mood that they have to postpone performance at the time of festivities.

Anyways, I just hope things comes around soon and everyone be safe and sound.

Joo wonah~ 

Don't worry.. things will come around. Fighting! 

EoU4-b-VEAIU_AA?format=jpg&name=medium

Picture Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Knote_p/status/1334535519766605826

• Like 3
6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I did not know COVID-19 cases are surging in South Korea, I thought they got it under control. :worried: Now that Vaccine is around the corner I thought there will be ease of restrictions, guess Korean authorities are not taking any chances.

In all fairness, the cases are c. 600 a day in all of South Korea right now - it's still one of the countries with the lowest case counts in the world (39,432 cumulative cases at the time I'm writing this, according to Johns Hopkins University), nor has it managed to overtake the first wave yet in terms of number of daily cases (unlike most other countries). So this isn't yet a situation of, say, tons of people being infected, hospitalized, or killed.

However, South Korea's government has a history of being extremely cautious about the pandemic, such that it introduces restrictions at even slight increases in cases (e.g. closing bars after a cluster in Itaewon). It's part of the broad approach that has helped them so far, and I'd rather Korea be overly cautious now than try to maintain the status quo and regret it later.

(And, hey, at least they don't have people actively flouting or protesting the rules in the name of "freedom" - as if our freedom to go out matters more than people's actual lives. Like, I could sympathize with those who protest for the sake of their livelihoods, but just because "you can't tell me what to do"...oy :headbang: If you're confused, just be glad it doesn't happen where you live.)

Also, re: vaccines - it will take months (if not longer) for enough of a herd immunity to have built up in order for restrictions to be eased. Where I am, vaccines will be distributed in small batches to the most high risk individuals first (it's the Pfizer vaccine, which must 1) be stored at extremely cold temperatures, and 2) not be jostled in transit lest it start to deteriorate), so I think we'll be in it for the long haul. It's also why I'm not breathing that sigh of relief about vaccines just yet - we still can't afford to loosen up.

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

So chances are we won't be getting our expected JW stuffs anytime soon unless he personally updates something on IG or vlive. As long he's safe and sound it's alright. He will probably feel down that this is happening, last time his performance got affected because of cold this time the whole word is affected by Covid. I hope he makes some time to chat with fans via vlive. That'll be a mood booster for fans and himself as well.

Maybe - but I hope he gets a chance to just be by himself for a while first. He (and the rest of the Ghost team) probably has a lot to think about right now.

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Also Ghost Production team has many things planned for congratulating Korean CSAT examinees, Christmas and New year celebrations. All of these were supposed to be on December-January. JW had major show in both Christmas and New Year. And prior to this a long suspension has been decided in order to ensure safety. Considering all circumstances Team Ghost will bound to be sad. But it's also not just Team Ghost there are many other musical and stage played going around in South Korea. They probably had same things planned and got postponed. So overall mood of the platform will be in a disheartened mood that they have to postpone performance at the time of festivities.

I also want to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, this is a preemptive or preventative suspension - that's way better than it being a reactive suspension (i.e. in response to an outbreak that's been linked to theatre performances or even Ghost specifically), especially for the emotional/mental health of the team. I remember that JW used to be the sort of person who'd ruminate or blame himself a lot when things went wrong - my hope is that this time around, he could look on the bright side and understand that this isn't about any mistake on his or his friends' part, but something they could do to help others.

• Like 2

"you can't tell me what to do"...oy 

Well, we are  busy blaming each other, so, it is not like that situation is bright in my country. We just got lucky, because of the young population, and due to unreliable testing and data by center and state level governments our side of cases are showing lower than expected and also there were instances where officials tried to sabotage or just ignored the deaths due to COVID-19.

it's the Pfizer vaccine, which must 1) be stored at extremely cold temperatures

Well, Moderna Vaccine requires much less cooling than Pfizer(more like it needs cooling of a regular refrigerator) and it is said to 94.5% effective.And also there are other vaccines in pipeline as well. Most of the experts are saying that by second quarter of 2021 we will have at least 4 to 5 vaccines to choose from and they might be much less expensive than the above said vaccine and hopefully accessible to all.

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

because his eyes are looking full)

Joo won's eyes always look like that, I mean they are sharp and it is very hard to make out his expression by looking at his eyes.

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

other musical and stage played going around in South Korea.

So, other musicals have also got cancelled ?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, we are  busy blaming each other, so, it is not like that situation is bright in my country.

That's not too far a cry from what's been happening here in Canada either. Okay, so no political party is blaming another per se, but unlike during the first wave (when parties on opposing sides set aside their differences to work together to fight the pandemic), there's been a lot more politicking and general criticism floating around. And once you involve the public as well...you know the saying: "You can't please everybody." 

So, the way I see it, rather than get too into the politics, I'm more interested in just adapting to the situation as it changes. I need to stay home unless it's absolutely essential? Okay. We have a vaccine now but need to wait for others to get it first? Okay. 

We just got lucky, because of the young population, and due to unreliable testing and data by center and state level governments our side of cases are showing lower than expected and also there were instances where officials tried to sabotage or just ignored the deaths due to COVID-19.

I did notice that India was really fortunate re: the fatality rate, and what you're saying about COVID-19 mostly affecting young people helps explain that. I wish I could say the same here, but it's still cutting a swath through the older population, especially those in retirement, long term care, and nursing homes; as well as other disadvantaged communities (the working class, racialized people - especially Indigenous - etc.).

And also there are other vaccines in pipeline as well. Most of the experts are saying that by second quarter of 2021 we will have at least 4 to 5 vaccines to choose from and they might be much less expensive than the above said vaccine and hopefully accessible to all.

Yeah - I think that Canada has its eye on...5 different vaccines? I think? The numbers are a bit fuzzy in my head now, but I do think we're considering Moderna and AstraZeneca as well, at least. Pfizer's just the first one for which the whole approval process got finished.

But I do find accessibility concerning, especially on a global scale. Everyone's wanting to get their hands on the same vaccines, so it's almost inevitable that wealthier countries will get them first - and where does that leave the rest of the world? Socio-economic inequities are going to be exacerbated by this, but I can't fault anyone for wanting to be first in line.

Joo won's eyes always look like that, I mean they are sharp and it is very hard to make out his expression by looking at his eyes.

He's always had very expressive eyes; but oftentimes, those eyes show multiple overlapping emotions, which makes them hard to read from just a photo :P 

Regardless, my guess is that he added the smiley face on his Instagram post to show fans who were concerned about Ghost's suspension that he's still okay :thumbsup:

So, other musicals have also got cancelled ?

It...would be really odd if they didn't, wouldn't it? I don't have any official news on the subject, but since this involves 1) government guidelines, and 2) public health and safety, it would be rather unusual if other shows don't start cancelling after Ghost does (if they haven't done so already). Because, well, who wants to be the villain in that story?

By the way, I tried to go on SeenSee's Instagram to check, but it looks like they just have Ghost on right now, so everything they're doing is accounted for. In the meantime, I stumbled across this interesting post: the MBTI types of all the major characters. Interesting to see that Sam Wheat is an ISTJ - but I'm still not sure on JW himself :P 

(Speaking of MBTI, I have also added a Master List of all my MBTI portraits so far to the "About Me" part of my profile page.)

Finally, forgive me if this feels inappropriate right now in the midst of all this news about show cancellations amid COVID-19, but I did want to post something more lighthearted as well. See, I woke up to a gorgeous scene outside due to an overnight surprise snowfall, and that gave me the idea to throw together a winter-themed round of Scattergories!

Spoiler

Scattergories: Snowy Winter Edition

There's really only one rule: for each prompt, just say which JW drama character comes first to mind.

As always, repeats are allowed; and, as always, pay attention for if I'm asking for a guy, a girl, or a couple

Good luck - and have fun! :Pandabulous:

1. The JW drama guy most likely to say winter is his favourite season (Bonus question: why is it his favourite?)

2. Conversely, the JW drama guy who just wants winter to end because he hates the cold (Bonus question: why does he hate it?)

3. The JW drama girl most likely to swamp her Instagram account with a gazillion snow pics

4. The JW drama couple most likely to enjoy a snowball fight

5. The JW drama girl most likely to cook up tons of warm and delicious comfort food during the winter (Bonus question: what's her favourite dish to make?)

6. The JW drama couple most likely to vacation at a ski resort

7. The JW drama couple who'd spend a date at an outdoor skating rink

8. The JW drama guy most likely to constantly bicker with his girlfriend/partner over whether he's dressed warmly enough

9. The JW drama couple who'd just prefer to curl up on the couch and watch a movie (Bonus question: what kind of movie?)

10. The JW drama girl most likely to try to steal her boyfriend/partner's sweater and wear it herself (Bonus question: how does he react?)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, kittyna said:

1. The JW drama guy most likely to say winter is his favourite season (Bonus question: why is it his favourite?)

Park Si-On, so coming to the "Why" part of the question. He already mentioned it, how much he likes Christmas (explicitly) while describing how much he like Cha Yoon Seo. So, I am taking it for granted that his favorite season is winter. And also, during his time in orphanage I think this season would have been only time he get to spend time with the Director and get to eat his favorite food items, so, his childhood experience may also made the winter  season as his favorite season

2. Conversely, the JW drama guy who just wants winter to end because he hates the cold (Bonus question: why does he hate it?)

Lee Kang To, given that how poor his family has become after his father opposed the imperial army, and given that how cold Korea can get during the winter season, his mom and brother would have struggled to keep themselves warm, since access to warm clothing is for privileged people in those times. It's funny how this hasn't changed even in 21st century, due to climate change my part of the country is experiencing unprecedented low temperatures, which effects people from lower socio-economic strata hardest.

3. The JW drama girl most likely to swamp her Instagram account with a gazillion snow pics

Kim Deo Yeon, probably she will have lot of photos with Park Jin Gyeom with his poker face. I thought of going with Nae-il but she really didn't strike as a person who likes to upload or take photos for Instagram's sake

5 hours ago, kittyna said:

4. The JW drama couple most likely to enjoy a snowball fight

Lol, you have to ask, there is scene of this Hwang Tae Hee and Bae Ja-Eun having as snow ball fight on their honeymoon.

5. The JW drama girl most likely to cook up tons of warm and delicious comfort food during the winter (Bonus question: what's her favourite dish to make?)

Yoon Tae Yi(2020), she will problem stay inside the house and do her research. And also, we already know that she can cook, so, she probably will stock up her fridge with ingredients to make delicious food throughout the winter. I am not able to think what her favorite food is and since she was raised by parents who run Chinese restaurant, so, her favorite dish might be some Chinese dish.

6. The JW drama couple most likely to vacation at a ski resort

Hwang Tae Hee and Bak Ja Eun

7. The JW drama couple who'd spend a date at an outdoor skating rink

Han Pil Hoon and Kim Kyung-Ja ,Just to have a different couple

8. The JW drama guy most likely to constantly bicker with his girlfriend/partner over whether he's dressed warmly enough

Kim Do Yeon  and Park Jin Gyeom, Do Yeon would be the one who is going to constantly nagging Jin Gyeom for not wearing warm clothes.

9. The JW drama couple who'd just prefer to curl up on the couch and watch a movie (Bonus question: what kind of movie?)

Hwang Tae Hee and Baek Ja Eun, since they are married, so they have high  probability  of staying together during  winter holidays, I am thinking of their time in USA , obviously it is not possible for them to this back in Korea. I think they would rather watch 1 Day 2 Night show than a movie .

10. The JW drama girl most likely to try to steal her boyfriend/partner's sweater and wear it herself (Bonus question: how does he react?)

Nae-il and obviously cha Yoo Jin would be pissed and start giving her lecture about why she should not wear his sweater, since it will not give her optimal protection from cold

You are bonus questions are like the extra information in an assignment which makes the assignment difficult to very difficult. Not that I am complaining, but I had to dive deeper into the drama and search for the answers, and sometimes I may not get the answer, for instance,  the favorite food question, since in the drama there is no explicit mention of the favorite food of any character, except for few characters like Grandma from Ojakgyo Family. Nevertheless, bonus questions made the it fun and more engaging with the task. If it were easy, I think I wouldn't had enjoyed it

That's not too far a cry from what's been happening here in Canada either.

Well, at least you guys have decentralized government and lot of social capital to lean on to. In India we have high centralization and lack of social capital, which is going to make it difficult for us to navigate through this pandemic. And the people in power are just busy polarizing the public so that they can win every election, it's like winning an election became an end rather than mean for the people in power. Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves, if they know  the kind of people who have been elected to run the country and people can't seem past their hate and contempt for each other

On 12/9/2020 at 7:15 AM, kittyna said:

So, I just found out about this now because it showed up in my YouTube recommendations, but there was a little mini-feature about Kim Tae Hee on the same KBS program JW appeared in:

OMG!!! She hasn't aged at all :love:

• Awesome 2
11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Park Si-On, so coming to the "Why" part of the question. He already mentioned it, how much he likes Christmas (explicitly) while describing how much he like Cha Yoon Seo. So, I am taking it for granted that his favorite season is winter. And also, during his time in orphanage I think this season would have been only time he get to spend time with the Director and get to eat his favorite food items, so, his childhood experience may also made the winter  season as his favorite season

I remembered the Christmas comment, too :) And I also like your idea about Si On's childhood - it's one I hadn't thought about (i.e. that maybe he'd only get visits from Dr. Choi during holidays due to his busy schedule), but it makes sense.

Lee Kang To, given that how poor his family has become after his father opposed the imperial army, and given that how cold Korea can get during the winter season, his mom and brother would have struggled to keep themselves warm, since access to warm clothing is for privileged people in those times. It's funny how this hasn't changed even in 21st century, due to climate change my part of the country is experiencing unprecedented low temperatures, which effects people from lower socio-economic strata hardest.

And I really like your line of reasoning here. Incidentally, I wound up thinking the same thing, but ended up with a different answer ;) 

Yoon Tae Yi(2020), she will problem stay inside the house and do her research. And also, we already know that she can cook, so, she probably will stock up her fridge with ingredients to make delicious food throughout the winter. I am not able to think what her favorite food is and since she was raised by parents who run Chinese restaurant, so, her favorite dish might be some Chinese dish.

Maybe Chinese, or maybe some sort of Koreanized Western food - since I remember that she made pasta for Jin Gyeom :) 

Nae-il and obviously cha Yoo Jin would be pissed and start giving her lecture about why she should not wear his sweater, since it will not give her optimal protection from cold

:loolz: That's awesome! And then Nae Il would just be like, "Well, that means I get to snuggle up next to you" :P 

Yeah, Cha Yoo Jin - just give up already...you're never gonna win this ;) 

You are bonus questions are like the extra information in an assignment which makes the assignment difficult to very difficult. Not that I am complaining, but I had to dive deeper into the drama and search for the answers, and sometimes I may not get the answer, for instance,  the favorite food question, since in the drama there is no explicit mention of the favorite food of any character, except for few characters like Grandma from Ojakgyo Family.

The Bonus Questions are more just me being curious about what you end up imagining in the main prompt - I don't expect the answers to be found in the dramas themselves.

And the people in power are just busy polarizing the public so that they can win every election, it's like winning an election became an end rather than mean for the people in power. Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves, if they know  the kind of people who have been elected to run the country and people can't seem past their hate and contempt for each other

If I didn't know you were referring to India, I'd feel like this was talking about the United States. That's an example of an extremely decentralized government: where states could pretty much just do their own thing, which has saved some - as their governors imposed restrictions regardless of what the White House says - but could easily go the other way around for the more anti-lockdown states once Biden is sworn in. So it looks like either extreme doesn't work all that well when running a massive country...unless we're thinking of China, which definitely has an extremely centralized government.

(By the way, for anyone who's interested, this TED talk explains, among other things, just how the Chinese government bureaucracy is structured, and dang.... Like, city officials are practically running small countries once you account for population. Maybe, @kireeti2, this wouldn't surprise you given India's population, but for me here in Canada, the numbers are just astounding.)

And now, for my Scattergories answers:

1. The JW drama guy most likely to say winter is his favourite season (Bonus question: why is it his favourite?)

Just to have a different answer from "Park Si On" (although that really was an awesome one), I'm going to say Cha Yoo Jin here. Again, it's because of nostalgia: considering that Yoo Jin spent his childhood in Austria, where people go completely all-out for Christmas, New Year's, the Carnival ball season (Jan/Feb), etc., I think he would associate the season with many positive memories. Plus, I somehow just think he's the sort of person who'd like the pristine look of freshly fallen snow - not sure why, though.

2. Conversely, the JW drama guy who just wants winter to end because he hates the cold (Bonus question: why does he hate it?)

I had the same line of reasoning as @kireeti2 (i.e. that one would dislike winter if one lacked the means to keep warm), but saw it in a more 21st century context - hence, my answer of Kim Tae Hyun. I know the whole "rooftop house" is romanticized a lot in K-dramas, but actually living in one...kinda sucks. Newer ones may be better, but the sort that Tae Hyun grew up in would be hastily constructed and not up to code (since many were originally storage units rather than houses), and could be extremely cold in winter and hot in summer due to poor insulation. And that's not even counting the perpetually broken windows, courtesy of his father's drunken rages and what I imagine would be insufficient funds to repair or replace them every single time.

Mind you, with a chronically ill sister to take care of, chances are that Tae Hyun's own discomfort would be the least of his worries - but it doesn't mean he wouldn't feel frustrated for her sake.

3. The JW drama girl most likely to swamp her Instagram account with a gazillion snow pics

Since Instagram was founded in 2010 and Ojakgyo Brothers takes place in 2011, I don't think Baek Ja Eun would have done this a lot during the time of the drama itself. However, in the subsequent years, as Instagram became increasingly popular in Korea, I think she would get into it as a hobby.

4. The JW drama couple most likely to enjoy a snowball fight

Hwang Tae Hui and Baek Ja Eun have that moment in the drama :) But if I want to add someone different...I'm going to say Park Si On and Cha Yoon Seo. Okay, so Si On would generally suck at it (:P), but both he and Yoon Seo have this mischievous streak that makes them open to childish play :) Maybe it could even turn into a larger thing if, say, several members of the pediatrics team end up on break at the same time.

5. The JW drama girl most likely to cook up tons of warm and delicious comfort food during the winter (Bonus question: what's her favourite dish to make?)

I'm going to go with the unconventional choice here and say Hye Myung. Although she wouldn't have many opportunities to do this growing up in the palace, once she actually starts learning traditional Korean and Chinese medicine, I imagine she would want to get involved with the food prep herself after she's married. I'm not entirely sure what specific dish she'd like to make the most, but I do think it would be some sort of healing soup or stew.

6. The JW drama couple most likely to vacation at a ski resort

Just because of sheer accessibility if we assume they live in Europe...Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il. I don't know just how much skiing they'd do, but I do like to imagine them heading to a chalet for a weekend from time to time.

7. The JW drama couple who'd spend a date at an outdoor skating rink

Here, I'm going to say Hwang Tae Hui and Baek Ja Eun, simply because I've had this mental image for a long time now of the two of them on a trip to New York City (including the famous Rockefeller Center's skating rink) while they're living in the US.

8. The JW drama guy most likely to constantly bicker with his girlfriend/partner over whether he's dressed warmly enough

Again, it might be an unorthodox choice, but I thought of Kim Tae Hyun and Han Yeo Jin. Even though we mostly see her as the one in poorer health, we also see that she's very much concerned for his comfort. And once she's recovered and strong enough to do so, I think she'd start to put her foot down about making sure he takes care of himself - especially since, all things considered, Tae Hyun doesn't have the best track record in that department :P He's the sort who's constantly rushing around trying to cover for everyone else, so I could visualize him trying to, say, run out of the house without a proper jacket during an emergency call.

Yes, I know it's strange given what I've said in #2 about his aversion to the cold - but Tae Hyun's the sort who tends to act without thinking. So I think he'd run out like that first, take care of whatever the emergency is, then come back and be all, "****, it's freezing!" At which point Yeo Jin's just like, "See? What'd I tell you? Maybe you should listen next time" ;)

9. The JW drama couple who'd just prefer to curl up on the couch and watch a movie (Bonus question: what kind of movie?)

I really like @kireeti2's choice of Hwang Tae Hui and Baek Ja Eun, but just to have something different, I also want to add Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il. For me, it's mostly just down to Yoo Jin being something of a homebody, and it being easier for him to convince Nae Il to stay home than for her to convince him to go out :P As for what they'd watch, I think they'd both be interested in some sort of human drama - maybe a biopic or something. 

10. The JW drama girl most likely to try to steal her boyfriend/partner's sweater and wear it herself (Bonus question: how does he react?)

lol - For some bizarre reason, I actually wound up imagining Kim Do Yeon and Park Jin Gyeom here. Maybe it's because I just think she's cute, and it seems to fall in line with her tendency to just plant herself in his life regardless of what he thinks. As for Jin Gyeom's reaction...I think he'd just be confused :P 

• Insightful 2
22 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Si On would generally suck at it

That's why I didn't pick this couple, since it does involve certain degree of violence, I sort of assumed Si-On might not have fun playing snow ball fight with Cha Yoon Seo, since he will be afraid that she might get hurt

26 minutes ago, kittyna said:

As for Jin Gyeom's reaction...I think he'd just be confused

Or maybe he will buy more sweaters for her the very next day :lol:

30 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, for anyone who's interested, this TED talk explains, among other things, just how the Chinese government bureaucracy is structured, and dang.... Like, city officials are practically running small countries once you account for population. Maybe, @kireeti2, this wouldn't surprise you given India's population, but for me here in Canada, the numbers are just astounding.

No, it is not similar like Chinese structure, they do have some degree of decentralization when it comes to development works of the provinces and cities. Where as in India States have less autonomy and city administration rely on states for staff and funds. Now, with the current party at the center which has been far more authoritarian than previous regimes , which  have weakened the federal structure and the pandemic has exacerbated it.

36 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I'm going to go with the unconventional choice here and say Hye Myung

Not unconventional but it does bring fresh perspective for this character. I totally forgot about her interest in making medicines and always tried to do her work on her own.

39 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Just because of sheer accessibility if we assume they live in Europe...Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il.

I thought of this couple too, but I sort of assumed that they'll be busy with their shows and musicals , and will not have time to visit any ski resorts as long as they are in Europe, since their main purpose to live Europe is to study and do musical performance

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

That's why I didn't pick this couple, since it does involve certain degree of violence, I sort of assumed Si-On might not have fun playing snow ball fight with Cha Yoon Seo, since he will be afraid that she might get hurt

I see....I hadn't thought of that, actually. I was just thinking that Si On's aim would be so bad as to render him essentially harmless (i.e. that he'd just miss by a long shot) - but, yes, it is possible for a snowball to go awry and hit someone like that.

Or maybe he will buy more sweaters for her the very next day :lol:

lol - Now, that would be a sight, wouldn't it ;) 

Not unconventional but it does bring fresh perspective for this character. I totally forgot about her interest in making medicines and always tried to do her work on her own.

My understanding is that, in many cultures across history, it was up to the women (regardless of social class) to know a little bit about their culture's respective traditional remedies. However, I do think Hye Myung would take it to a level all her own :) 

I thought of this couple too, but I sort of assumed that they'll be busy with their shows and musicals , and will not have time to visit any ski resorts as long as they are in Europe, since their main purpose to live Europe is to study and do musical performance

lol - Well, they gotta take breaks sometime, right? :P But I also think they'd take advantage of wherever they end up performing to go on quick one/two-day side trips (one such example will show up in the upcoming Seolleim in Salzburg finale, for instance).

Just came across this on Instagram: K-drama actors in the Joseon era gat (i.e. hat). Usually, these collage/compilation posts don't include JW, but this one did, so enjoy!

• Like 2
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]