Jump to content

Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]


Father's Day with Joo Won  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the most fun father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
      0
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
      0
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
      0
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
      0
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
      0
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
  2. 2. Who is the strictest father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
      0
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
      0
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
      0
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
      0
  3. 3. In which drama do you wish that Joo Won’s character should be closer to his dad? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice
    • My Sassy Girl
      0
    • Yong Pal
      0
    • Naeil’s Cantabile
    • Good Doctor
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant
    • Bridal Mask
      0
    • Ojakgyo Family
    • King of Baking, Kim Takgu

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/23/2021 at 11:41 AM

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I don't know if it's just my problem...I somehow always got teleported in another page whenever I am writing something long in Soompi forum. If I'm lucky the post gets saved but if I'm not it's gone. And I've to rewrite it again.. so mad right now at whatever causing the problem.:triumph:

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Maybe it's because of the backspace. It happens to me a lot, whenever I unconsciously use backspace when the pointer is in not in the editing section.Also,it happens a lot when I am using both the web tabs at the same time while I am switching from one tab to another tab

 

I can't say it's happened to me, but it may have to do with what you use to access Soompi (a computer with mouse - which is what I have, a computer with touchpad, a phone, etc.).

 

JW, IVY, and BoA are all slated to appear at the Blue Dragon Film Awards - Wait, what? I'm sure it's just coincidence (since JW's performance is with IVY specifically), but...what?

 

JW gifted winter coats to the Ghost team - Aw, that's cute :blush: JW's always encouraging people to dress warmly and stay healthy, so this is so him :thumbsup:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • coolreborn

    11648

  • stearly

    5983

  • mrdimples

    4935

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

5 minutes ago, kittyna said:

JW, IVY, and BoA are all slated to appear at the Blue Dragon Film Awards - Wait, what? I'm sure it's just coincidence (since JW's performance is with IVY specifically), but...what?

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person :blush:

 

 

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

JW's cameo on IVY's recent YouTube Vlog

:loolz: Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

I could also think of Hwang Chang Sik and Park Bok Ja.

Yeah, I thought this pair too, but turns out these two married for love and was not a typical arranged marriage

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person :blush:

 

 

:loolz: Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

Yeah, I thought this pair too, but turns out these two married for love and was not a typical arranged marriage

 

Hello! I guess you are really a fan of boa, well that's the opposite for me...:thumbsup: Not a fan or a hater i just feel not good to see connections between them like his manager following boa again even after his old ig deleted. When joowon is still in the army i see comments here and there which i really dont like her fans said things about joowon (probably not all of them) So...Now its a coincidence that they'll be together in one event the writer just deliberately put their names in an articles :smile:, i just wish happiness between them and they might as well meet in blue dragon award. :smiley:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mystylee33 said:

Hello! I guess you are really a fan of boa,

Not exactly, I got to know about BoA because of Joo won. And I am only excited about their patch is because of joo won. Like, he mentioned several times in his interview that he always try to make his relationship last longer and would like to stick with the first woman he might(after debuting as an actor). So, it must have been hard for both to go through break-up and I think their getting back together would be a great. Also, it's just wishful thinking(not some kind of fan demand) and as an adults, these two can do choose their own partners regardless of anyone's disapproval

57 minutes ago, mystylee33 said:

i just wish happiness between them and they might as well meet in blue dragon award.

Same here, a photo in the event of Joo won and BoA would be nice and reassuring that they are on good terms :blush:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mystylee33 said:

So...Now its a coincidence that they'll be together in one event the writer just deliberately put their names in an articles

 

Of course - clearly, linking those names together sells, and I walked right into it :lol:

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person

 

3 hours ago, mystylee33 said:

i just feel not good to see connections between them like his manager following boa again even after his old ig deleted. When joowon is still in the army i see comments here and there which i really dont like her fans said things about joowon (probably not all of them)

 

To be honest, @mystylee33, this is the first time I've heard anything other than it just being an amicable break-up. Like, I had no idea that fans were criticizing either party involved online. While there's no way we'll ever know if the criticisms are true (especially since I don't know what they were), it does mean that I have to be prepared for the possibility that JW played an active role in it. That's probably to be expected during a breakup, but I never actually consciously considered it until now - I used to just think, "Oh, it happened? Okay. That sucks, but it's life." without delving much into why.

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

 

He used to do that during the 2013/2014 run as well, which he showed during his dressing room tour on Life Log. At the time, he said that he'd do arm curls just before the show starts since Sam is wearing a singlet in his first moments on stage (he's the sort of person whose muscles look visibly larger after even just a bit of physical activity).

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, I thought this pair too, but turns out these two married for love and was not a typical arranged marriage

 

Actually, do we know which of the older generation couples in JW's dramas had arranged marriages? I don't really remember, to be honest - like, some are obvious given the context (e.g. Gyun Woo's parents or Lee Kang To's parents), but otherwise, it's harder to tell unless it's mentioned explicitly. Not to mention that even now, many marriages in Korea are a modified version of the older tradition: where parents set up meetings for possible matches for their kids, but it's up to the kids whether they actually like each other and want to proceed with dating or marriage. The really hardcore "marriage of convenience" type does still exist, though - at least in dramas.

 

Note: I do remember that Hwang Chang Sik and Park Bok Ja had a love match (I used them for my answer due to the general bickering-but-actually-caring vibe between them), but I'm not sure for most of the others. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kittyna said:

do we know which of the older generation couples in JW's dramas had arranged marriages?

I don't know about other older couples, but in "Ojakgyo" Chang Sik and Bok-ja were shown as couple who had an arranged marriage. Like, during their conversation, it was Bok-ja who brings up a past incident  where  Chang Sik jumped in a river or in a pit because his mom sort of opposed his marriage with her, something like that. So, I sort of eliminated this couple for for the said musical , since the couple in the musical seems to had a arranged marriage and then they gradual fell in love with each other

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

but in "Ojakgyo" Chang Sik and Bok-ja were shown as couple who had an arranged marriage. Like, during their conversation, it was Bok-ja who brings up a past incident  where  Chang Sik jumped in a river or in a pit because his mom sort of opposed his marriage with her, something like that.

 

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing or hearing something like that. I think it had to do with how Park Bok Ja didn't have a good family background, so her (future) mother-in-law was opposed to the wedding at first - but things eventually worked out in the end.

 

As for the other older couples...yeah, it's kind of sad that we generally get a ton of really dysfunctional relationships among the older generation in JW's dramas, but no real idea of how they came to be in the first place. For example, in cases where the husband/father turned out to be abusive - how did they end up getting married in the first place, what went wrong afterwards, and what red flags (if there were any) did they or their partners miss along the way?

 

Not that, say, being in an arranged marriage explains everything - even matches that started off romantically could go south in really disastrous ways - but it does make me wonder just how many of the parents in JW's dramas loved each other at all to start with.

 

I dunno...thoughts?

 

Spoiler

For instance, although there's reason to believe that Cha Yoo Jin's parents had an arranged "marriage of convenience" (given the fact that his mother's from a chaebol family), I actually went with the idea of it being a love match in my own Seolleim in Salzburg fanfic universe.

 

However, in my imagining, it was a relationship that was flawed from the start, because I saw it as being thoroughly one-sided: his mother racing to marry the first guy (who does encapsulate the Byronic "tall, dark and handsome" trope) she had a crush on almost straight out of high school (if you do the math, she's 22 when Yoo Jin is born, and that's pretty unusually young for the 1990s). And it really was just an infatuation, but the point is that it led to a really skewed relationship where she was the one who consistently caved to her husband's wishes (again: infatuation) and he never saw the need to learn to reciprocate. And that, as anyone could imagine, leads to a whole ton of problems - especially as she starts to notice him treating their son like a doormat as well.

 

By the way - why did I go for this approach? Because I saw enough similarities between Yang Sun Young and Seol Nae Il's temperaments - as well as Cha Dong Woo and Cha Yoo Jin's - that such a narrative serves as a constant reminder to myself as a writer at what could have go wrong between Yoo Jin and Nae Il if either of them isn't willing to put serious effort into their relationship. ;) 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Translation Part 1:

(Did the first five Q/A of this video for now. I will upload the 2nd part later.)

 

 

KIND JOOWON: Ask Me Anything!

 

(00:18-00:42)

Q-1:  I’m Joo Won oppa’s longtime fan. During the Ghost musical premier I watched your performance more than 30 times. I’m so happy to see your performance again. It’s your first musical since you were discharged from army. Do you have any expectation?

Answer: Now I’m at the right age to express Sam well. Fans may find this Sam a bit cooler and more fitting.. So I feel this is the right age to play Sam better.

 

 

(00:43-01:27)

Q-2:  I have recently got fond of Musicals. I learned about musical Ghost for the first time and heard that it is different from other musical because of its use of high-tech facilities and lighting. Which stage or scene the audience should focus on more or should not miss?

 

Answer: In our performance every stage keeps moving. (He shows the movement with his hands) They’re moving like robot. The stages switch automatically. I think you probably have not seen stage like this. So it’s really fancy. As Sam is a ghost, you can see him passing through a closed door and holding objects in air like magic. It’s a work that is really spectacular and drama (in the musical) is also solid.

 

(01:28-01:50)

Q-3:  Joo Won, please appeal to us 3 reasons why we should watch GHOST?

 

Answer: (Come to watch musical GHOST if you’re -)

          1.       Someone who shares memory with movie ‘Love and Soul’

          2.      Someone who is in love/a relationship right now

          3.      To meet me.. Come to see me ~ everyone.

 

(01:51-03:01)

Q-4 :  How is the harmony with your partners? Especially the Mollys are same as 7 years ago so I wonder how it is.

 

Answer: Eunhye Noona (Ivy) is continuing in musicals (for these years) so her singing and acting become more relaxed than it was before and it gained a lot of depth. Jiyeon (Park Ji Yeon) like myself- we’re one year apart. As an actress Jiyeon developed good energy during this 7 year period. She is really doing very well and she developed (as an actor on stage) a lot; the way she express and immerse as Molly is so well it makes me think that this 7 years has not been wasted. Both of them have matured as Molly. That’s why our harmony is good, the fact that we worked together before helps too.  During first time we started awkwardly but now we became better at our expression of the appearance as lover.

 

(03:04-04:21)

Q-5:  Musical ‘GHOST ‘is known for its difficult numbers (songs). Which one is the most difficult yet your favorite?

 

Answer: The one song that I like yet find difficult is ‘I had a life’. It’s in the end of Act 1- when Sam finds out that he got betrayed. It’s a song that expresses the feeling of Sam’s world falling apart in a moment. I like it most because it’s (the moment) really dramatic. It breaks my heart and it’s also a moment when Sam really needs a hug. This song is about a lot of things happening after Sam’s death and it is sung when Sam’s emotion is really at high point- I become so overwhelmed with emotions. It may be wise to control my singing and acting at that scene but the situation makes it really impossible to do so. That’s why it’s quite an attractive scene.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not translated yet (I hope KBS World gets around to these), but in the meantime, here are the clips from the interview I've found so far:

 

 

 

 

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

 

9 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Q-5:  Musical ‘GHOST ‘is known for its difficult numbers (songs). Which one is the most difficult yet your favorite?

 

Answer: The one song that I like yet find difficult is ‘I had a life’. It’s in the end of Act 1- when Sam finds out that he got betrayed. It’s a song that expresses the feeling of Sam’s world falling apart in a moment. I like it most because it’s (the moment) really dramatic. It breaks my heart and it’s also a moment when Sam really needs a hug. This song is about a lot of things happening after Sam’s death and it is sung when Sam’s emotion is really at high point- I become so overwhelmed with emotions. It may be wise to control my singing and acting at that scene but the situation makes it really impossible to do so. That’s why it’s quite an attractive scene.

 

Yep - he's always been big on those all-encompassing scenes where he's fully immersed into the role :) 

 

Tracking down JW's recent fashion 

 

It's not included here, but I do hope someone manages to find out what he was wearing during the KBS interview - I really, really liked that look on him :coolshades:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

Yeah, me too. Because the similarities ended with season 3 of American version.

 

10 minutes ago, kittyna said:

(I hope KBS World gets around to these

I don't think that's gone happen. I think it is designed for the consumption of local fans. Had it been streamed on KBS world, then we could have expected for  translation.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

It's not translated yet (I hope KBS World gets around to these), but in the meantime, here are the clips from the interview I've found so far:

Not only it's not translated KBS hasn't resleased the full segment of Joo Won's appearance in 'Room of Memory'. The actual segment is longer than these three clips. May it's available for Koreans but not for international. I just hope they release the full segment.

While I was looking out for the whole segment. I found this.

Joo won second one to be invited in this corner after veteran actor Choi Soo Jong. It feels good to know that. If you look at the shows original wiki page you'll see this corner was only in first episode of the show and then at episode 18 where Joo Won appeared. The class... :coolshades:

Wiki page link: https://ko.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/연중_라이브_(2020년)

 

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

 

I on the other hand always wanted to know Joo Won's reaction on this. Always hoping it would be either asked by fans or by interviews. Glad finally it was addressed by KBS, the home of Good Doctor. And I love how he tells it with a confidence yet with cuteness that " I am better as I am the original." 

I want to say to Joo Won- Yes, you're the the best.

 

I like the introduction part. The masked interviewer asked him 'How did you come here?". Joo Won cheekily replied -"By Car." :lol:

 

Also loved this part of the first clip (00:58-01:20)

..….....

Interviewer: From your facial expression it looks like you're worried? Do you have worries?

JW: oh..I'm not particularly worried about something.

Interviewer looks sad because it doesn't goes well with his scripts! Ha ha...

Interviewer: You don't have worries?

JW: Yes..

Interviewer: Can't you just tell that you have worries.

JW: I don't have any.

:lol:

JW: I have lots of worries. Living is series of worries, anyways.

.........

He had such a cheeky entrance to the show. I love overall vibe. 

 

 

I also love in they briefly mentioned all most all of his dramas except one. They even included all 3 from SBS. Usually TV stations try to avoid mentioning other rival stations show unless it's really important to mention. Love how they are being professional about it.

 

I really hope this full segment will be shared so international people can have access even if it's not translated. I agree with @kireeti2 in this regards that KBS will not provide translation. Before all the things usually got translated by KBS World but now things have changed. But I at least expect them to release full clip of the show. KBS usually are more international friendly in this regard. I really found it unusual they they didn't uploadt it full on YouTube.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I am better as I am the original

Indeed he is the best, actually when we compare both of the Good Doctor characters, Joo won's acting came-off as unique. American version feels a bit unoriginal, for instance, it feels like the character is mix of other characters with autism which were already played by other actors.

17 hours ago, kittyna said:

between Yang Sun Young and Seol Nae Il's temperaments - as well as Cha Dong Woo and Cha Yoo Jin's

But Cha Yoo Jin already made it clear that he is going to live like his father. So, I don't see any issues in their relationship, at least it will be not as bad his parent's relationship. And also, why do I sense that you doesn't like this particular couple i.e Cha Yoo Jin's parents. But I do feel like they did love each other in their initial marriage days i.e the honeymoon period of the married couple and then the actual issues came up, like, incompatible personalities and divergence of opinions on, how to raise Cha Yoo Jin. I also think they did come to terms that they can never be as normal couple and accepted their dysfunctional relationship and started to concentrate on raising Cha Yoo jin, which I see as the main reason why they didn't had second child. And the treatment regarding Cha Yoo jin would have been final and last flash point and Sun Young took the decision thinking it was in best interest of cha Yoo jin and divorced her husband and took the custody of Cha Yoo jin

But, I found the Chinese version parents of male lead had much  nuanced explanation. It explains clearly why the male lead hates his father. But in Korean version they never explained it in detail why Cha Yoo jin was nervous about his father(apart from one or two flashback scenes where he was indifferent to Cha Yoo jin) and why he needs his approval, since it was made clear that he was capable and he knows it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also, why do I sense that you doesn't like this particular couple i.e Cha Yoo Jin's parents. But I do feel like they did love each other in their initial marriage days i.e the honeymoon period of the married couple and then the actual issues came up, like, incompatible personalities and divergence of opinions on, how to raise Cha Yoo Jin. I also think they did come to terms that they can never be as normal couple and accepted their dysfunctional relationship and started to concentrate on raising Cha Yoo jin, which I see as the main reason why they didn't had second child. And the treatment regarding Cha Yoo jin would have been final and last flash point and Sun Young took the decision thinking it was in best interest of cha Yoo jin and divorced her husband and took the custody of Cha Yoo jin

 

I don't dislike them per se - if anything, I'd say I'm more nervous or wary about them than anything else. They are, as you pointed out, a classic case of how a completely normal relationship can still go wrong, and there's something about that that I think ends up feeling very...well, real. Like, there's none of that melodramatic stuff about affairs or severe domestic violence in this relationship (unlike most of the other dysfunctional marriages in JW's dramas). Instead, in them, I see something that could happen to anyone, even with the best of intentions: a couple that started off caring for each other whilst dating could end up realizing they're incompatible once the honeymoon phase wears off. For instance, this couple has two issues that could seriously derail a marriage: a skewed power dynamic, and divergent values when it comes to raising the kids. 

 

Note: when I say "a skewed power dynamic", I don't mean it in the sense of, say, gender norms. Instead, I mean it as the level of commitment and maturity that each person should bring into a relationship: if it's always one person caving and the other person taking them for granted, that's never gonna work in the long run. And while Nae Il's Cantabile doesn't address Cha Dong Woo and Yang Sun Young's marriage directly, it's not too hard to extrapolate from their respective personalities that Dong Woo was the one who did the "taking for granted" and where his love is contingent on whether he gets his way. Yeah...that's a huge red flag, even without all the high drama that we see from the other parental couples in JW's dramas.

 

As for where Yoo Jin and Nae Il come into this, well...were it not for the fact that Yoo Jin, as you pointed out, was committed to not making the same mistakes his parents did, I think a similar dynamic would have developed in his relationship with Nae Il. He needed to learn to consider things from her point of view and take on more of a guiding role - as opposed to a commanding or domineering one, which is where I think his father messed up. And seeing him actually succeed in learning that over the course of the drama was really satisfying :thumbsup:

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But, I found the Chinese version parents of male lead had much  nuanced explanation. It explains clearly why the male lead hates his father. But in Korean version they never explained it in detail why Cha Yoo jin was nervous about his father(apart from one or two flashback scenes where he was indifferent to Cha Yoo jin) and why he needs his approval, since it was made clear that he was capable and he knows it.

 

Yeah, in terms of raising Yoo Jin himself, the waters get really murky, and I've had to come up with my own imagined interpretation for what's going on. Long story short, Yang Sun Young definitely believes that Cha Dong Woo was abusive (not just strict, but actually emotionally abusive); Cha Dong Woo believes that he was just being the strict "Asian dad" who was trying to do the right thing; and Yoo Jin is...probably somewhere in the middle. Like, on the one hand, he could see where his father was coming from and he still wants to actually meet his father's standards; yet on the other hand, there's no denying that his father's comments and behaviour over the years really hurt. So, in my own fics, for instance, when discussing his childhood, Nae Il's the one who's more likely to just say Cha Dong Woo was abusive (albeit still in a simplistic "anyone who pushes their child beyond the child's wishes is bad" sort of way), whereas Yoo Jin's not so sure.

 

By the way, re: Cha Dong Woo's indifference towards Yoo Jin in the flashback scene, I think the reason why Yoo Jin thought that was hurtful wasn't really in what was said, but the perceived meaning behind it, which I addressed in my most recent Seolleim in Salzburg fic:

 

Spoiler

As I take my seat on the piano bench, I allow myself one last look over the audience before fully devoting my attention to the music. My gaze lingers a fraction longer on Abeoji, seated at the end of the row closest to me, Chae Do Kyung beside him. Arms and legs crossed loosely, he leans back casually in his seat, a challenging glint in his eyes.

 

Of course you will succeed. What else do you expect? That’s what makes you the son of Cha Dong Woo.

 

Those same words, spoken by any other parent to any other child, would be a massive encouragement. Only I know the sting hidden behind them: succeed, be on top, make a name for yourself in Europe…or else.

 

Geu rae. Arasseo. Fifteen years, we’ve had to wait. But no more. Now, at long last…I’m finally ready.

 

Did Cha Dong Woo actually mean it that way? Hard to say, since he was also rather preoccupied with reading his own score in the flashback. But what matters is that Yoo Jin took it as an example of conditional (rather than unconditional) love - however, Yoo Jin's also not a particularly reliable narrator ;) 

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, me too. Because the similarities ended with season 3 of American version.

 

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I on the other hand always wanted to know Joo Won's reaction on this. Always hoping it would be either asked by fans or by interviews. Glad finally it was addressed by KBS, the home of Good Doctor. And I love how he tells it with a confidence yet with cuteness that " I am better as I am the original." 

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Indeed he is the best, actually when we compare both of the Good Doctor characters, Joo won's acting came-off as unique. American version feels a bit unoriginal, for instance, it feels like the character is mix of other characters with autism which were already played by other actors.

 

"I am better as I am the original" - Well, that's just cheeky, isn't it. :smort:

 

Since JW doesn't brag often, it's always worth noting what he focuses on when he does: like his "I'm more innocent" comment in 2010 (when he was asked how he was different from Kang Dong Won and TOP), or his "I'm going to keep acting until I die - let's see how many of us are left then" in 2015 (when asked his opinion on his popularity compared to other actors his age). I'm pretty sure he's baiting or teasing the press when he makes comments like this, though, rather than actually being full of himself ;) 

 

As for the American vs. the Korean versions of Good Doctor, I only watched the first episode of the American version, so I can't comment much on the actor's portrayal of the main character. However, given that the general public/netizen approach to depictions of autism are very different in both countries, I could understand where the differences might come from. Remember, @kireeti2, that one negative review I sent you that argued that Park Si On was an exaggerated - and thus offensive - depiction of autism? Yeah, I think the American portrayal would probably go down better here, as aegyo like Si On's just doesn't translate over very well: rather than coming off as cute or innocent (like in Korea), it ends up feeling like infantilization and that's the last thing anyone wants in a depiction of autism.

 

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I really hope this full segment will be shared so international people can have access even if it's not translated. I agree with @kireeti2 in this regards that KBS will not provide translation. Before all the things usually got translated by KBS World but now things have changed. But I at least expect them to release full clip of the show. KBS usually are more international friendly in this regard. I really found it unusual they they didn't uploadt it full on YouTube.

 

Maybe they still need to be slow because of copyright concerns? Like, maybe the full version is available for streaming on some more official website (or might still be re-broadcast on TV), so they're holding off on releasing it on YouTube until later.

 

I dunno; it's just a guess.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kittyna said:

that one negative review I sent you

That review was not negative, it was culturally biased. It is more like it did not adhere to some sort of standard autistic behavior. Like, the reviewer sort already assumed that autistic people act in certain way and standardized it, like some product standard. But failed to understand that not all the autistic people behave in uniform way. I still it the reviewer was just upset because the Joo won's depiction as an autistic person did not fit the reviewers so called standard.

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

as aegyo like Si On's just doesn't translate over very well: rather than coming off as cute or innocent (like in Korea), it ends up feeling like infantilization and that's the last thing anyone wants in a depiction of autism.

Even in American version they have shown the protagonist like some kind of child in the beginning episodes, but he grew with each episode and learned how to adapt with his workplace. Just like in Korean version, we can see that Park Si on is not in-charge of the new resident and acts in a mature way rather than like a child like he use do in the initial episodes. And speaking of cuteness, everything that touches K-drama turns into cute thing, that's just how the industry operates and like every country as their own popular culture, K-drama as this thing of over-cuteness in their art, so I don't see any fault in that

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Since JW doesn't brag often, it's always worth noting what he focuses on when he does: like his "I'm more innocent" comment in 2010 (when he was asked how he was different from Kang Dong Won and TOP), or his "I'm going to keep acting until I die - let's see how many of us are left then" in 2015 (when asked his opinion on his popularity compared to other actors his age). I'm pretty sure he's baiting or teasing the press when he makes comments like this, though, rather than actually being full of himself ;) 

 

I actually like this amount of cheekiness in him in certain cases. Because sometimes he's too hard on himself. Like this one...He has all the right to brag. He as an young and rising actor gave Park Sion a depth that's really iconic. If there are works who are particularly attributed to Joo Won, they're Gaksital and Good Doctor. They still call him by those character in entertainment because he went through total transformation for these two roles. While Gaksital is a popular Manhwa, Good Doctor was a fresh story. People have played autistic person before but Joo Won still did his own research and made sure to give some personal touch to it. His acting has been critically acclaimed we all know that. So he is just not only The Original, he has actually become the Standard in KDrama world at least. As other remake are adopted from Korean one so of course their performance will be compared to Korean Actor. Some viewers who are more fond of US shows says the original actor over did it. But I'd rather tell them -why not you ask your actor to overdoing the over all posture and gesture as well so we see who's effort results better!

Of course US remake will have it's own personal touch influence by the customs and environment there. I'm not saying they can't say that Freddie is doing amazing but if they compare it with Joo Won or say US remake is better -that's where is my problem. Good Doctor wouldn't be a noticble drama to US if not it's not played in the level Joo Won did. I think before the remake decision Good Doctor received an international award. I will try to look for the news.

 

 

Because we seldom see Joo Won brag about himself this kind moment are precious to me. Rather than baiting or teasing the media or someone else I'd say it's his moment of conviction and strong confidence. I am sure we all have little moments like this where we know that we're better than other in something particular. I don't know about you guys but I do have moments like this. Like I may not be best at other things but I totally excel at this than other people around me. I may not say it aloud but in my mind I believe it anyway and sometimes when others acknowledge it I don't deny it. So I find these little moments very humane and endearing in JW. Because he doesn't always brag. But when he does, it showes he's highly attached to that particular thought.

 

Sometimes he affirms his strong belief infront of everyone so he could hold on to them.. like he's constantly saying it infront of everyone - "I'll try be a a person who smells human." Meaning he'll not be indulged in celebrity lifestyle or be treated as a star who is hard to reach. I think him always stating it is way of him giving himself a reminder that he has be grounded and be modest always so as not to steer away from this conviction.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

That review was not negative, it was culturally biased. It is more like it did not adhere to some sort of standard autistic behavior. Like, the reviewer sort already assumed that autistic people act in certain way and standardized it, like some product standard. But failed to understand that not all the autistic people behave in uniform way. I still it the reviewer was just upset because the Joo won's depiction as an autistic person did not fit the reviewers so called standard.

 

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And speaking of cuteness, everything that touches K-drama turns into cute thing, that's just how the industry operates and like every country as their own popular culture, K-drama as this thing of over-cuteness in their art, so I don't see any fault in that

 

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

As other remake are adopted from Korean one so of course their performance will be compared to Korean Actor. Some viewers who are more fond of US shows says the original actor over did it. But I'd rather tell them -why not you ask your actor to overdoing the over all posture and gesture as well so we see who's effort results better!

Of course US remake will have it's own personal touch influence by the customs and environment there. I'm not saying they can't say that Freddie is doing amazing but if they compare it with Joo Won or say US remake is better -that's where is my problem. Good Doctor wouldn't be a noticble drama to US if not it's not played in the level Joo Won did. I think before the remake decision Good Doctor received an international award. I will try to look for the news.

 

I also think that the broader context matters here. There used to be a lot of really damaging stereotypes about anyone who was neurodivergent or who had some sort of neurological or developmental disorder - and one of them was, in fact, that people with autism were somehow more "innocent", "childlike" or "pure" than everybody else because of their tendency to take social interactions at face value. For example, if someone has difficulty recognizing sarcasm, figurative language, or tone of voice, that could be extended to mean they're some little angel that's incapable of lying. And whereas, in the original Korean context, those traits are seen as primarily positive traits (Park Si On becomes something of a moral compass for the hospital), it backfires when viewed through a North American lens where, historically, associations between autism and being "feeble minded" and notions of eugenics were actually a thing.

 

So, in search of a more "adult" portrayal of autism, the American adaptation delved more deeply into Shaun Murphy's love life when compared to the Korean original, to use an example (like, he actually ends up sleeping with his girlfriend, if I recall correctly - and, well, I can't visualize Park Si On getting that far with Cha Yoon Seo anytime soon!). And, in my opinion, the adaptation also scrapped the idea of setting the story in the pediatric ward for the same reason: in the Korean version, Si On's very deliberately placed in parallel with the patients.

 

I also want to point out that whoever was in charge of translating the Korean Good Doctor into English...really started off on the wrong foot. First of all, there was the whole "curing autism" fiasco (which was probably a mistranslation where "treating autism" was intended); but even more than that, there was Si On's actual character description of someone who's "mentally ten years old". My guess is that the translator meant he had the social skills of a ten-year-old, but...yeah, that's really cringe-y, no matter how you put it.

 

Of course, as @kireeti2 pointed out, the misunderstandings sort themselves out if one watches the Korean version with an understanding of, say, how aegyo plays into Korean culture. But if you saw that description and watched the drama without knowing that context...no wonder at least one person thought the drama was mocking autism rather than actually being sympathetic towards it.

 

Personally, I think that both JW and Freddie Highmore did amazing jobs with their respective takes on the character - but it's probably better to treat Park Si On and Shaun Murphy as two distinct entities rather than comparing them, since their contexts are so different ;) 

 

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Because we seldom see Joo Won brag about himself this kind moment are precious to me. Rather than baiting or teasing the media or someone else I'd say it's his moment of conviction and strong confidence. I am sure we all have little moments like this where we know that we're better than other in something particular. I don't know about you guys but I do have moments like this. Like I may not be best at other things but I totally excel at this than other people around me. I may not say it aloud but in my mind I believe it anyway and sometimes when others acknowledge it I don't deny it. So I find these little moments very humane and endearing in JW. Because he doesn't always brag. But when he does, it showes he's highly attached to that particular thought.

 

For me, what stands out is that all things considered, JW is still his own worst critic. He's always looking for ways he could improve his performance rather than just reaching a point where he thinks he's good. However, when it comes to being compared to others...I think JW's aware that he's a strong actor. He knows that his approach is distinctly his own, and he takes pride in that, but I like that he doesn't take it to the point of bashing anyone else's work. 

 

Well, with the one exception re: crying scenes, when he said once (without mentioning names) that some actors would ask for a retake if their nose runs :P 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Found two old videos I'm watching for the first time.

 

1st one is Ojakgyo team cheering on Joo Won first movie Special Investigation Unit. It's sad them two of them has left this earth. RIP.

 

https://movie.daum.net/person/video?id=134344&vclipId=32773

 

And next one is 'It's him' team cheering for CSAT examinees..

 

https://movie.daum.net/person/video?id=134344&vclipId=49565

 

Joo Won acted with Lee Yoo Young again in Firefighter. I find her to be pretty good actress. Interesting ly they've worked 2 times excluding the upcoming but none of them were romantic storyline. I don't know what kind of relationship they'll have this time..Firefighter is movie based on real event. Chances are relationship here will be pretty platonic and serious too.

 

After I got fond of K-Drama I seldom watch k-movie. These days I mostly watch movies that my favourite drama actor-actress are doing. Looking forward to for premiere of Firefighter for maimly 2 reasons other than the obvious- It has Joo Won in it. One is we are going to get lots Promotional activity in multiple channels and platforms. Another is because it'll be a serious one as it's based on real tragic event and he got to act with seasoned movie actors.

 

And oh- we'll get to see Joo Won in uniform again and this time in a bright one-

 

 

EYv0bDmUcAAVbAi.jpg

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqNYO4pLRYvDyBhbUhiJa

 

Edit:

Oh oh... Finally found the full video of 'Room of Memory.' A sweet fan uploaded it on her IG. 

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIb3rB8pG9d/

 

Can't thank her enough. :fullofhearts:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Joo Won acted with Lee Yoo Young again in Firefighter.

I hope they release the movie on Netflix, so that we would get to see the promotional videos with English subs.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Interesting ly they've worked 3 times excluding

I only remember two; one was "Fatal intuition" and other was short film about alien hunting. What was the other one?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:
2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Interesting ly they've worked 3 times excluding

I only remember two; one was "Fatal intuition" and other was short film about alien hunting. What was the other one?

 

 

 

Edited my post. It was a typo. It's two :sweatingbullets:

 

Leaving some old pictures of cute JW.

 

EoeZ-kTUcAAzHKI?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Back in the time when we didn't have selfie camera)

 

EnVZjvBWMAIY7a_?format=jpg&name=small

 

Engu6bAVcAAwj52?format=jpg&name=small

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..