Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

.Go Hyung Seok (i.e. our beloved Go Ahjussi) from Alice. I do admit that there are some other characters where the actual situation is a better match, but I think that the stakes involved (and the overall serious tone of this subplot in both Les Mis and Alice) make this a good fit.

I really like this choice of yours :approves:. It is the best fit out of all the characters for this musical, he does live a guilty life since he replaced his old self and living his life. Even though it is his old self life, we was living other persons life because of the parallel universe concept.

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

ol - Good thing this isn't a contest, because my responses wouldn't stand much of a chance. 

Lol! You are being too modest, after reading your response I sort of started hating my own choices, because they feel like they are out of sync with the musical:bawling:

• Like 2

There are TONS of new photos out today from JW's DAZED feature.

Usually, I try the nearly impossible and attempt to cover all my bases with linking to Instagram posts. But you know what? Scratch that - there are too many pics this time, and I am bound to miss or repeat something. So here's the original Naver link instead. Knock yourselves out :glasses:

I'll also be popping by later tonight with the final round of this latest Musical Theatre Challenge, so stay tuned!

• Like 2

So, here I am with the third and final set in this latest Musical Theatre Challenge - couples and pairs!

Once again, since it's been a while since I've done a couples/pairs round, forgive me if I do end up coincidentally repeating anything from before.

Spoiler

Musical Theatre Challenge, Take Two: Couples/Pairs (Round Three)

So, the question here is the same as always: which two characters from JW's dramas do you think of when you hear each song, and why? 

Since we're dealing with pairs this time, there are a few extra guidelines to keep in mind:

1. Repeating individual drama characters is okay, but each pair must be unique. For example: you can answer Park Si On + Cha Yoon Seo for one prompt, then Park Si On + Kim Do Han for another.
  2. Major and supporting characters are both allowed. As always.
  3. Try to think more about the relationship/dynamic between the musical characters than the actual situations they're in. The more characters are present in any given moment, the more unique to those characters the scene will be - so don't expect many strong parallels to the dramas this time.

(Also, it's come to my attention from previous rounds that video links that work for me here in Canada may not work everywhere due to YouTube's zoning restrictions. Given that, if any of the videos don't play for you, please let me know, and I'll try to find an alternative audio-only source if there is one :thumbsup:)

Again, there are no right or wrong answers here - it's all just for fun! :) 

1. "To Break in a Glove" from Dear Evan Hansen

Characters: Larry and Evan

Context: After the sudden death of his son, Larry tries to make up for lost time by bonding with Evan, whom he mistakenly believes was his son's close friend. Evan, despite knowing the truth (which is that he and Larry's son weren't close at all) goes along with it because he wants Larry to be the father figure he never actually had growing up.

2. "Waltz for Eva and Che" from Evita (Lyrics)

Characters: Evita and Che (I know I've evoked Evita numerous times in these challenges, but I think it's my first time featuring Che, so....)

Context: After suddenly passing out during a church service, Evita dreams about a confrontation with Che - an ordinary Argentinian citizen who serves as something like her conscience and the musical's narrator. He is frustrated that she and her husband have failed to follow through on their campaign promises and accuses her of only seeking power for selfish motives.

Spoiler

Spoiler for the musical: this is also when it's revealed that Evita is terminally ill and has been aware of it for some time.

3. "Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)" from The Sound of Music (Lyrics)

Characters: Maria and Liesel

Context: After a painful breakup with her boyfriend (he joined the Nazi party and she couldn't condone that), Liesel approaches Maria - her former governess, and now stepmother - for relationship advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYf_TaNUOvk (Note: embedding doesn't work here, so just click the link)

4. "In a Crowd of Thousands" from Anastasia

Characters: Dmitry and Anya

Context: Dmitry tells Anya of the time in his childhood when he had caught a glimpse of the former Russian royal family, focusing his account on the youngest princess, Anastasia. Anya, who suffers from amnesia surrounding her own childhood, finds the events he describes strangely familiar....

5. "Devil Take the Hindmost" from Love Never Dies (Lyrics)

Characters: The Phantom and Raoul

Context: In this sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, two rivals for Christine make a final wager over which one of them she loves more.

Spoiler

You don't have to take this point into consideration if you don't want to, but the actual terms of the bet are really messed up, in my opinion. As noted in the song, they decide that if Christine performs a song that the Phantom composed for her that night, it means she loves him more and Raoul (her husband) will leave. But the whole reason behind the concert is so that she could raise money to help Raoul pay off his debts. And, in typical "alpha male" fashion, neither of them think to actually tell her about the wager??? Like, how's the girl supposed to make an informed decision this way???  :headbang:

Okay, rant over - back to the challenge!

6. "Do You Love Me?" from Fiddler on the Roof

Characters: Tevye and Golde

Context: As his grown-up daughters start insisting on marrying for love instead of going for traditional arranged marriages (which were the norm in their Orthodox Jewish community), Tevye thinks back on his own relationship with his wife and wants to know how she truly feels about him.

7. "One Short Day" from Wicked (Lyrics)

Characters: Glinda and Elphaba

Context: Due to her inborn magical powers, Elphaba is able to secure a coveted audience with the famous Wizard of Oz in the Emerald City. She invites her friend, Glinda, to join her and make the excursion a fun girls' day out.

8. "Red and Black" from Les Miserables (Lyrics)

Characters: Enjolras and Marius

Context: A group of university students meet up to finalize their plans for an upcoming anti-government protest. Enjolras, the leader of the group, is all revolutionary fervor; but for some reason, his friend, Marius, appears distracted.

lol - I think there are only a handful of couples in this :sweat_smile: But there's nothing wrong with answering a JW drama couple for any of these prompts if you think that's what fits best :glasses:

• Like 2

Yeah, Joo won seem to be busy with other celebrity works like giving interview and photo shoots. But something interesting had caught my eyes, "coincidence?", and also joo won's manager starting following  BoA's Instagram account from last week. I know, I sound like a conspiracy theory peddler and reading too much into it,but,  is there is patch-up in the horizon? :omg:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Detective Go and Park Ji Gyeom. I sort of think it is a role reversal when it comes to drama, since Detective Go is one the who was pretending to be a caring father PJG never had, but the relationship dynamics is similar to the musical characters' relationship

2. "Waltz for Eva and Che" from Evita (Lyrics)

Han Yeo Jin. She sort of was in a similar situation but it is due to poising by her secretary. Nevertheless, she was questioning her conscience for the decision she had taken. And coming to Che character, I would choose Kim Tae Hyun, since he has literally became her voice of conscience and reason when she tried to take rash decisions .

3. "Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)" from The Sound of Music (Lyrics)

Baek Ja Eun and Park Bo Ja. I think these two fit the for these tow musical characters. Like, Bo Ja was the one Ja Eun always turned to whenever she needed advice or wanted to confide something. These two also have similar relationship dynamics as of the musical characters' relationship.

Nae-Il and Franz Stesemann, no particular reason, but after listing to the musical and reading about the characters in the musical, these two popped up in mind. Also, I think in the musical Dimtry was trying to remind Anya about her ability and potential, just like Stesemann tried to get the best out of Nae-Il

Okay, rant over - back to the challenge!

Nah, it is totally justified. I think the musical drama is still dominated by male directors or was, due the this these kind of plots are glorified which indirectly fueling the toxic masculinity and keeps men and women in traditional role in perpetuity:expressionless: . But these kind of plots are just toxic and furthers the notion that girl/woman in a relationship is like prize won by the alpha male and not an equal companion with whom he is going to share his life :blush:

5. "Devil Take the Hindmost" from Love Never Dies (Lyrics)

Cha Yoo jin and Lee Yoon Hoo, I know these two don't have any toxic rivalry, but they initially behave and saw Nae-Il has someone they should win to prove that they are the better person and disregarding her feelings and opinion. So, I think these two fit perfectly in this musical

Before answering this one, I must point out these two were adorable and musical was such heartwarming to watch. Like, even though they married traditional, they were so compatible with each other they didn't realize they have actually fallen in love with each other. Now, coming to my response, I think I will choose Detective Go and Kim In-Sook. For starters I think they would have got married for traditional reason and slowly started falling in love with each other to the point that Detective Go traveled back in time to take care of her. And these two are adorable just like the two characters in the musical

7. "One Short Day" from Wicked (Lyrics)

I must admit, finding pair for his musical was difficult and taxing. I mean, in Joo won's drama there is abundance of Bromance, but there is little emphasis on sisterhood or bond between two female characters.I think I will go with, Moon so-Jin colleague of Yoon Tae-Yi, I thought of going with Yoon Tae-Yi and Oh Si-Young, but there was no screen time or flashback of their relationship. So, it was hard for me to imaging them as best friends or someone who would go have girls' day together. I also ponder on choosing Yoon Tae Yi and Kim Do Yeon but the climax sort of ruined it and made it impossible to see me them also as  best friends.

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

8. "Red and Black" from Les Miserables (Lyrics)

Kim Tae Hyun and Man-Sik, not an ideal pair for this musical, but after seeing the musical, it gave a vibe of a comrade betraying his fellow comrade, so, just like in musical, Man-Sik also sort of gave up Kim Tae Hyun in order to save himself. So, I think this pairing comes close with this musical. Or, if it is too far fetched, I would like to choose a backup pair, Lee Kang To and Lee Kang San, after researching a bit I found out that Marius was a pro royalist, just like Kang To was pro Imperial and later, both have changed their views.

Even though this challenge was lengthy, I did not find it as exhausting as the male version of musical challenge for some reason, maybe its because of the diverse nature of the musical. :blush:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, Joo won seem to be busy with other celebrity works like giving interview and photo shoots. But something interesting had caught my eyes, "coincidence?", and also joo won's manager starting following  BoA's Instagram account from last week. I know, I sound like a conspiracy theory peddler and reading too much into it,but,  is there is patch-up in the horizon?

Or it can be evidence that the break-up was amicable, or it can mean nothing at all :P Whatever the answer is, it's up to the actual parties involved to decide.

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:
8 hours ago, kittyna said:

Before answering this one, I must point out these two were adorable and musical was such heartwarming to watch. Like, even though they married traditional, they were so compatible with each other they didn't realize they have actually fallen in love with each other. Now, coming to my response, I think I will choose Detective Go and Kim In-Sook. For starters I think they would have got married for traditional reason and slowly started falling in love with each other to the point that Detective Go traveled back in time to take care of her. And these two are adorable just like the two characters in the musical

Okay, I hadn't thought of these two, but now I'm just squeeing, because that's just so cute to imagine :fullofhearts:

Cha Yoo jin and Lee Yoon Hoo, I know these two don't have any toxic rivalry, but they initially behave and saw Nae-Il has someone they should win to prove that they are the better person and disregarding her feelings and opinion. So, I think these two fit perfectly in this musical

Don't worry; I feel you. And they both have moments when they call each other out on it - e.g. Yoon Hoo accuses Yoo Jin of being disrespectful towards Nae Il, but Yoo Jin throws that right back at him when Yoon Hoo ends up being the one ignoring her wishes during the duet rehearsals. 

Nah, it is totally justified. I think the musical drama is still dominated by male directors or was, due the this these kind of plots are glorified which indirectly fueling the toxic masculinity and keeps men and women in traditional role in perpetuity:expressionless: . But these kind of plots are just toxic and furthers the notion that girl/woman in a relationship is like prize won by the alpha male and not an equal companion with whom he is going to share his life :blush:

To be fair, the fact that the two men are wagering on a woman's affections does make sense in socio-cultural/historical context (I think the musical's set sometime in the 1890s). Nor am I the sort of person who expects stories set in the past to adhere to modern ethical standards.

For me, the part that wasn't fair was that they didn't inform her of this plan or what her decision to perform would actually mean - which makes me question just how much either of them love her. We eventually see her husband seemingly pulling this epic 180 by asking her not to sing and she's just getting increasingly confused. She does figure out at the end that there's something going on in terms of the men's rivalry (not the actual wager, but just that one wants her to sing and the other doesn't); but it's still rather dicey since, without knowing the actual ramifications involved, I feel like she's screwing herself over either way.

Nae-Il and Franz Stesemann, no particular reason, but after listing to the musical and reading about the characters in the musical, these two popped up in mind. Also, I think in the musical Dimtry was trying to remind Anya about her ability and potential, just like Stesemann tried to get the best out of Nae-Il

I would never have thought of this, but it's cute :blush:

Kim Tae Hyun and Man-Sik, not an ideal pair for this musical, but after seeing the musical, it gave a vibe of a comrade betraying his fellow comrade, so, just like in musical, Man-Sik also sort of gave up Kim Tae Hyun in order to save himself. So, I think this pairing comes close with this musical. Or, if it is too far fetched, I would like to choose a backup pair, Lee Kang To and Lee Kang San, after researching a bit I found out that Marius was a pro royalist, just like Kang To was pro Imperial and later, both have changed their views.

Like Kang To, Marius does eventually join the revolutionary side - for him, though, it's more that his family's strongly royalist and he starts off just buying what he's taught. But as he discovers more about France's history, he changes his mind and starts hanging out with Enjolras and co. Still, when push comes to shove, Marius isn't a fervent revolutionary: a forced separation from the girl he's in love with is what pushes him to fight for real.

Okay - a number of your answers also overlapped with my own first instincts (especially #1 and #2), so I'll need some time to think of alternatives before posting :) 

It looks like JW's got another extensive interview lined up

• Like 2

For me, the part that wasn't fair was that they didn't inform her of this plan

Well, that would require her consent, and the concept of consent, particularly for women is a recent phenomenon. So, if we are talking about 19th century set, I don't think what a woman or girls wants was never considered important in the decisions which effects their lives. P.S- If you think my explanations are  like  mansplaining or crossed a line, do point it out. Because I always feel like my responses sometimes cross a line or two and can be condescending:sweat_smile:

Or it can be evidence that the break-up was amicable, or it can mean nothing at all :P Whatever the answer is, it's up to the actual parties involved to decide.

Maybe you are right, I might reading too much into it. But their paths are crossing a lot lately, from Covid-19 challenge to SBS interview. But, I do have little hope that they might get back until they started dating somebody, which I think it is permitted as long it doesn't take toxic form. :blush:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

P.S- If you think my explanations are  like  mansplaining or crossed a line, do point it out. Because I always feel like my responses sometimes cross a line or two and can be condescending

Well, if someone does end up seeing your response as mansplaining, that's their prerogative - but I don't. :foryou:

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, that would require her consent, and the concept of consent, particularly for women is a recent phenomenon. So, if we are talking about 19th century set, I don't think what a woman or girls wants was never considered important in the decisions which effects their lives.

Yeah. As I said before, writing a story set in a different context from today will always be complicated due to how much societal views have shifted over time. There is room for stories that inject modern-day values into an earlier context (e.g. My Sassy Girl, to use an example from JW's dramas), but some narratives can only exist due to someone having an archaic (by our standards) worldview. Like King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu for instance - because let's be real: if the characters were retroactively fitted with our perceptions of gender equality, the whole premise of the story wouldn't exist :P At least the drama doesn't shy away from the negative implications of intense patriarchy.

And now for my own responses to the challenge:

So... @kireeti2 may have already picked the best choice for this one :P Larry and Evan's attempt at bonding over baseball really reminded me of the flashback fishing scene between Go Hyung Seok and Park Jin Gyeom in that the lesson initially seems to be about something trivial, but actually contains a valuable life lesson that Evan needed at that time. :) 

But that means I need a back-up response, and after thinking on it a bit, I'm going to go with Master Pal Bong and Kim Tak Gu. I could see Pal Bong as the sort of person who ostensibly seems to be teaching a practical skill - in this case, baking - but is actually more interested in developing his students' characters. And while Tak Gu is receptive to his teaching, it's that same earnestness that painfully reminds Pal Bong of the sorrow he feels for (to use a line from the song) the "kid who's lost control" - i.e. Ma Jun.

2. "Waltz for Eva and Che" from Evita 

Again, my first instinct (Han Yeo Jin and Kim Tae Hyun) has already been mentioned. :P So I'm also going with my second choice/back-up response: Chae Hong Joo/Ueno Rie and Lee Kang To. Even though Kang To starts off just as ambitious as Rie is, he tends to inadvertently have the effect of becoming her voice of reason and keeping her accountable for her own actions. The key difference here, though, is that Kang To isn't particularly aware that he's doing that until we get towards the drama's end.

3. "Sixteen Going on Seventeen (Reprise)" from The Sound of Music 

Even though the question she poses in the drama is about parental rather than romantic love, I'm deeply reminded of the discussion that Yoon Tae Yi has with her adopted mother: where she doubts she has what it takes to be a good parent and where, despite not knowing what's really going through her daughter's mind, her mother reassures her that yes, in fact, she does.

This one's a bit tough because, unlike Anastasia, the whole "reawakening of childhood memories that reveal the leads had met before" trope tends to carry major negative consequences in JW's dramas :P But be that as it may, I'm going to go down that path anyway and suggest either Park Jin Gyeom and 2020-Yoon Tae Yi or Gyun Woo and Princess Hye Myung, since both pairs have some sort of chance encounter in childhood and only come to understand the ramifications of that encounter when they are adults.

I wish I could say which one I'd prefer more, but it's really a true tie in my head and I just keep going back and forth between them. So, you know what? I'll pose the question to you guys: which pair do you think fits better?

5. "Devil Take the Hindmost" from Love Never Dies 

Okay, considering the sheer amount of dysfunction involved in just about every relationship in question (between both men, between either of them and Christine, etc.) and the additional angle of an illegitimate son, I'm going to answer Gu Il Jong and Han Seung Jae from King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu for what I hope are obvious reasons ;) 

Spoiler

By the way, the fact that the Phantom uses the fact that Christine's son is a musical prodigy as evidence that the child is actually his gave me this totally nonsensical - but actually kinda funny - thought: what if, in some bizarre twisted alternate universe, Cha Yoo Jin is not actually Cha Dong Woo's son? Like, Cha Dong Woo is talented, but there's reasonable argument that he's more in it for the recognition whereas Yoo Jin's the actual prodigy with an inborn love and aptitude for music - so where the heck did Yoo Jin get that from? 

Of course, there's nothing in Nae Il's Cantabile to actually suggest this - it really is just a product of my overactive imagination - but it's still a thought. :P

There aren't that many happily married ahjussi/ahjumma couples in JW's dramas - most tend to be pretty dysfunctional - but in addition to Captain Go and his wife, I could also think of Hwang Chang Sik and Park Bok Ja. They've been through thick and thin together, and care deeply for each other and their kids as well. Of course, they have more than their fair share of bickering, but what old married couple doesn't? The point is that the disagreements they face end up bringing them closer together in the long run :) 

7. "One Short Day" from Wicked 

I haven't thought about this until @kireeti2 brought it up, but there really aren't all that many sets of female BFFs in JW's dramas. I wonder why. Right now, the first one that comes to my mind is Seol Nae Il and Choi Min Hee, so I think I'll stick with that as my answer. The two of them are super-close despite their vastly differing tastes and personalities, and it's really just cute and sweet :) 

By the way, even when we move on to the older characters, Nae Il's Cantabile also wins for having the best pair of ahjumma-BFFs in any of JW's dramas: Song Mi Na and Yang Sun Young ;) It did cross my mind to have them as my main answer, but we don't really get to see what they were like when they were young, so....

8. "Red and Black" from Les Miserables 

Finally, this is where I'm going with my most experimental answer: Gi Cheol Am and Yoo Min Hyuk. Personality-wise, they don't really fit with the characters from Les Miserables in question - and whereas Marius does end up coming around to Enjolras's side, Cheol Am and Min Hyuk have a total break and become enemies. But, if we were to consider the events in Alice from Gi Cheol Am's perspective, I think there's reasonable argument that he'd find Yoo Min Hyuk too "soft" and unable to devote himself fully to Alice due to his residual feelings towards Yoon Tae Yi. So, crazy as it sounds, I'm just going to go with this answer anyway.

So, that's it for my answers - let me know what you think :) 

JW's cameo on IVY's recent YouTube Vlog

• Like 2

(I don't know if it's just my problem...I somehow always got teleported in another page whenever I am writing something long in Soompi forum. If I'm lucky the post gets saved but if I'm not it's gone. And I've to rewrite it.. so mad right now at whatever causing the problem.:triumph:)

Hey guys, Hope you are well. As I lost my long post let me just put those short news that we can look forward to in this Friday. You guys probably know it already from SNS and talked about it.

First up we have the anticipated second part of Seensee interview on JW's GHOST experience.

EoS7MayU4AEz5Xa?format=jpg&name=small

And Secondly at KST 8:30 show at KBS JW will appear They will make him take trip down memory lane. Few days ago I was wondering when we will see him promoting GHOST at KBS. And here he is... and they'll not only talk about GHOST KBS actually prepared special collection of clips from their highest rated drama from Joo Won.

Just puting the translation of JW part.

Joo-won, Choi Ae's work → Behind the story revealed... Who is the #1 star with wealth + honor? (Live throughout the year)

Article input 2020.12.03 04:31 PM

[Ex-Sports News, Intern Reporter Kim Young-ah] Actor Joo-won's most loved work and the story behind the work are told.

On KBS 2TV's'All Year Live', which airs on the 4th, videos that will attract viewers' attention will be released, from the famous scenes of the works that Joo-Won made a big success to the first place in the 'Diamond Spoon Star' that is finally released. In addition, a pleasant meeting with two protagonists Jo Yeo-jeong and Go Jun, the two protagonists of 'Cheating, Die', and the pleasant interview scenes of the protagonists of the movie 'New Year's Eve', which has been hot before the release, will be released throughout the year.

http://scf.static.kbs.co.kr/image/NBCONTENTSMYLOVEKBS/NBCONTENTSMYLOVEKBS_70000000394127_20201203_20201203160700___EDITOR_02.png

First of all, in the 'Room of Memory', which summons the lost past of the stars, we meet the past of Joo Won, who is a guarantee check for ratings and 'Actor to Believe'. Joo-won, who debuted in 2006 with the musical 'Alta Boys', has reached 14 years of debut this year. Famous scenes such as 'Bakery King Kim Tak-gu', 'Gakshi Mask', and 'Good Doctor' will be summoned.

The story behind Joo-won, who has exuded an unrivaled presence in every piece, reveals the story behind the work and the work he loves most will be revealed. Joo-won has been active in musicals and entertainment as well as his high-level singing skills and aegyo. You can meet all of Joowon's 'universal entertainer'.

News Link: http://m.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1360624#_enliple

Main News: http://mylovekbs.kbs.co.kr/index.html?source=mylovekbs&sname=mylovekbs&stype=magazine&contents_id=70000000394127&section_id=10207&utm_source=twitter

I'm pretty excited for tomorrow. :happy2:

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

(I don't know if it's just my problem...I somehow always got teleported in another page whenever I am writing something long in Soompi forum

Maybe it's because of the backspace. It happens to me a lot, whenever I unconsciously use backspace when the pointer is in not in the editing section.Also,it happens a lot when I am using both the web tabs at the same time while I am switching from one tab to another tab

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I don't know if it's just my problem...I somehow always got teleported in another page whenever I am writing something long in Soompi forum. If I'm lucky the post gets saved but if I'm not it's gone. And I've to rewrite it again.. so mad right now at whatever causing the problem.:triumph:

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Maybe it's because of the backspace. It happens to me a lot, whenever I unconsciously use backspace when the pointer is in not in the editing section.Also,it happens a lot when I am using both the web tabs at the same time while I am switching from one tab to another tab

I can't say it's happened to me, but it may have to do with what you use to access Soompi (a computer with mouse - which is what I have, a computer with touchpad, a phone, etc.).

JW, IVY, and BoA are all slated to appear at the Blue Dragon Film Awards - Wait, what? I'm sure it's just coincidence (since JW's performance is with IVY specifically), but...what?

JW gifted winter coats to the Ghost team - Aw, that's cute :blush: JW's always encouraging people to dress warmly and stay healthy, so this is so him :thumbsup:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kittyna said:

JW, IVY, and BoA are all slated to appear at the Blue Dragon Film Awards - Wait, what? I'm sure it's just coincidence (since JW's performance is with IVY specifically), but...what?

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person :blush:

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

JW's cameo on IVY's recent YouTube Vlog

:loolz: Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

I could also think of Hwang Chang Sik and Park Bok Ja.

Yeah, I thought this pair too, but turns out these two married for love and was not a typical arranged marriage

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person :blush:

:loolz: Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

Yeah, I thought this pair too, but turns out these two married for love and was not a typical arranged marriage

Hello! I guess you are really a fan of boa, well that's the opposite for me...:thumbsup: Not a fan or a hater i just feel not good to see connections between them like his manager following boa again even after his old ig deleted. When joowon is still in the army i see comments here and there which i really dont like her fans said things about joowon (probably not all of them) So...Now its a coincidence that they'll be together in one event the writer just deliberately put their names in an articles :smile:, i just wish happiness between them and they might as well meet in blue dragon award. :smiley:

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mystylee33 said:

Hello! I guess you are really a fan of boa,

Not exactly, I got to know about BoA because of Joo won. And I am only excited about their patch is because of joo won. Like, he mentioned several times in his interview that he always try to make his relationship last longer and would like to stick with the first woman he might(after debuting as an actor). So, it must have been hard for both to go through break-up and I think their getting back together would be a great. Also, it's just wishful thinking(not some kind of fan demand) and as an adults, these two can do choose their own partners regardless of anyone's disapproval

57 minutes ago, mystylee33 said:

i just wish happiness between them and they might as well meet in blue dragon award.

Same here, a photo in the event of Joo won and BoA would be nice and reassuring that they are on good terms :blush:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mystylee33 said:

So...Now its a coincidence that they'll be together in one event the writer just deliberately put their names in an articles

Of course - clearly, linking those names together sells, and I walked right into it :lol:

Well, that explains why Joo won's manager started following BoA on Instagram. I guess there is no patch up after all, but it is good to know that they relationship ended on good terms, like if it was bad one, they wouldn't had participated events like these, where they have to see each other in person

3 hours ago, mystylee33 said:

i just feel not good to see connections between them like his manager following boa again even after his old ig deleted. When joowon is still in the army i see comments here and there which i really dont like her fans said things about joowon (probably not all of them)

To be honest, @mystylee33, this is the first time I've heard anything other than it just being an amicable break-up. Like, I had no idea that fans were criticizing either party involved online. While there's no way we'll ever know if the criticisms are true (especially since I don't know what they were), it does mean that I have to be prepared for the possibility that JW played an active role in it. That's probably to be expected during a breakup, but I never actually consciously considered it until now - I used to just think, "Oh, it happened? Okay. That sucks, but it's life." without delving much into why.

Lol, it is so funny, joo won is even working out in dressing room. I guess it helps him keep calm before performance or he is not able to go to gym due to tight schedule

He used to do that during the 2013/2014 run as well, which he showed during his dressing room tour on Life Log. At the time, he said that he'd do arm curls just before the show starts since Sam is wearing a singlet in his first moments on stage (he's the sort of person whose muscles look visibly larger after even just a bit of physical activity).

Actually, do we know which of the older generation couples in JW's dramas had arranged marriages? I don't really remember, to be honest - like, some are obvious given the context (e.g. Gyun Woo's parents or Lee Kang To's parents), but otherwise, it's harder to tell unless it's mentioned explicitly. Not to mention that even now, many marriages in Korea are a modified version of the older tradition: where parents set up meetings for possible matches for their kids, but it's up to the kids whether they actually like each other and want to proceed with dating or marriage. The really hardcore "marriage of convenience" type does still exist, though - at least in dramas.

Note: I do remember that Hwang Chang Sik and Park Bok Ja had a love match (I used them for my answer due to the general bickering-but-actually-caring vibe between them), but I'm not sure for most of the others. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

do we know which of the older generation couples in JW's dramas had arranged marriages?

I don't know about other older couples, but in "Ojakgyo" Chang Sik and Bok-ja were shown as couple who had an arranged marriage. Like, during their conversation, it was Bok-ja who brings up a past incident  where  Chang Sik jumped in a river or in a pit because his mom sort of opposed his marriage with her, something like that. So, I sort of eliminated this couple for for the said musical , since the couple in the musical seems to had a arranged marriage and then they gradual fell in love with each other

• Like 2

• Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

but in "Ojakgyo" Chang Sik and Bok-ja were shown as couple who had an arranged marriage. Like, during their conversation, it was Bok-ja who brings up a past incident  where  Chang Sik jumped in a river or in a pit because his mom sort of opposed his marriage with her, something like that.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing or hearing something like that. I think it had to do with how Park Bok Ja didn't have a good family background, so her (future) mother-in-law was opposed to the wedding at first - but things eventually worked out in the end.

As for the other older couples...yeah, it's kind of sad that we generally get a ton of really dysfunctional relationships among the older generation in JW's dramas, but no real idea of how they came to be in the first place. For example, in cases where the husband/father turned out to be abusive - how did they end up getting married in the first place, what went wrong afterwards, and what red flags (if there were any) did they or their partners miss along the way?

Not that, say, being in an arranged marriage explains everything - even matches that started off romantically could go south in really disastrous ways - but it does make me wonder just how many of the parents in JW's dramas loved each other at all to start with.

I dunno...thoughts?

Spoiler

For instance, although there's reason to believe that Cha Yoo Jin's parents had an arranged "marriage of convenience" (given the fact that his mother's from a chaebol family), I actually went with the idea of it being a love match in my own Seolleim in Salzburg fanfic universe.

However, in my imagining, it was a relationship that was flawed from the start, because I saw it as being thoroughly one-sided: his mother racing to marry the first guy (who does encapsulate the Byronic "tall, dark and handsome" trope) she had a crush on almost straight out of high school (if you do the math, she's 22 when Yoo Jin is born, and that's pretty unusually young for the 1990s). And it really was just an infatuation, but the point is that it led to a really skewed relationship where she was the one who consistently caved to her husband's wishes (again: infatuation) and he never saw the need to learn to reciprocate. And that, as anyone could imagine, leads to a whole ton of problems - especially as she starts to notice him treating their son like a doormat as well.

By the way - why did I go for this approach? Because I saw enough similarities between Yang Sun Young and Seol Nae Il's temperaments - as well as Cha Dong Woo and Cha Yoo Jin's - that such a narrative serves as a constant reminder to myself as a writer at what could have go wrong between Yoo Jin and Nae Il if either of them isn't willing to put serious effort into their relationship. ;) 

• Like 2

Translation Part 1:

(Did the first five Q/A of this video for now. I will upload the 2nd part later.)

KIND JOOWON: Ask Me Anything!

(00:18-00:42)

Q-1:  I’m Joo Won oppa’s longtime fan. During the Ghost musical premier I watched your performance more than 30 times. I’m so happy to see your performance again. It’s your first musical since you were discharged from army. Do you have any expectation?

Answer: Now I’m at the right age to express Sam well. Fans may find this Sam a bit cooler and more fitting.. So I feel this is the right age to play Sam better.

(00:43-01:27)

Q-2:  I have recently got fond of Musicals. I learned about musical Ghost for the first time and heard that it is different from other musical because of its use of high-tech facilities and lighting. Which stage or scene the audience should focus on more or should not miss?

Answer: In our performance every stage keeps moving. (He shows the movement with his hands) They’re moving like robot. The stages switch automatically. I think you probably have not seen stage like this. So it’s really fancy. As Sam is a ghost, you can see him passing through a closed door and holding objects in air like magic. It’s a work that is really spectacular and drama (in the musical) is also solid.

(01:28-01:50)

Q-3:  Joo Won, please appeal to us 3 reasons why we should watch GHOST?

Answer: (Come to watch musical GHOST if you’re -)

1.       Someone who shares memory with movie ‘Love and Soul’

2.      Someone who is in love/a relationship right now

3.      To meet me.. Come to see me ~ everyone.

(01:51-03:01)

Q-4 :  How is the harmony with your partners? Especially the Mollys are same as 7 years ago so I wonder how it is.

Answer: Eunhye Noona (Ivy) is continuing in musicals (for these years) so her singing and acting become more relaxed than it was before and it gained a lot of depth. Jiyeon (Park Ji Yeon) like myself- we’re one year apart. As an actress Jiyeon developed good energy during this 7 year period. She is really doing very well and she developed (as an actor on stage) a lot; the way she express and immerse as Molly is so well it makes me think that this 7 years has not been wasted. Both of them have matured as Molly. That’s why our harmony is good, the fact that we worked together before helps too.  During first time we started awkwardly but now we became better at our expression of the appearance as lover.

(03:04-04:21)

Q-5:  Musical ‘GHOST ‘is known for its difficult numbers (songs). Which one is the most difficult yet your favorite?

Answer: The one song that I like yet find difficult is ‘I had a life’. It’s in the end of Act 1- when Sam finds out that he got betrayed. It’s a song that expresses the feeling of Sam’s world falling apart in a moment. I like it most because it’s (the moment) really dramatic. It breaks my heart and it’s also a moment when Sam really needs a hug. This song is about a lot of things happening after Sam’s death and it is sung when Sam’s emotion is really at high point- I become so overwhelmed with emotions. It may be wise to control my singing and acting at that scene but the situation makes it really impossible to do so. That’s why it’s quite an attractive scene.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's not translated yet (I hope KBS World gets around to these), but in the meantime, here are the clips from the interview I've found so far:

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

9 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Q-5:  Musical ‘GHOST ‘is known for its difficult numbers (songs). Which one is the most difficult yet your favorite?

Answer: The one song that I like yet find difficult is ‘I had a life’. It’s in the end of Act 1- when Sam finds out that he got betrayed. It’s a song that expresses the feeling of Sam’s world falling apart in a moment. I like it most because it’s (the moment) really dramatic. It breaks my heart and it’s also a moment when Sam really needs a hug. This song is about a lot of things happening after Sam’s death and it is sung when Sam’s emotion is really at high point- I become so overwhelmed with emotions. It may be wise to control my singing and acting at that scene but the situation makes it really impossible to do so. That’s why it’s quite an attractive scene.

Yep - he's always been big on those all-encompassing scenes where he's fully immersed into the role :) 

Tracking down JW's recent fashion 

It's not included here, but I do hope someone manages to find out what he was wearing during the KBS interview - I really, really liked that look on him :coolshades:

• Like 2