Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

his is the only answer of yours that I'm confused about - like, I don't recall Han Do Joon ever being a parent.....

Lol! My bad, I did is the parent word. After reading the most worst/evil, I just assumed it was about villain. :P

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

3. The worst/most evil JW drama parent

Now that I have read the question properly, I have few doubts. In what context should I choose the character? Like, should I choose them on the  basis of being evil towards the leads or generally evil in nature?

Anyway, I will go with Nam Yeo-Kyung and Shim Kab-Nyeon. I am choosing them in the context of worst, like, these two are very controlling in nature and would never be considerate towards others opinion, especially if they are younger than them.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Basically, the only character he plays whose pitch matches his own is Park Si On

My thoughts exactly, his voice sometimes feels like I am listening to a kid just like Park Si-On

• Like 2
  • Replies 58.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that I have read the question properly, I have few doubts. In what context should I choose the character? Like, should I choose them on the  basis of being evil towards the leads or generally evil in nature?

Yeah - this one's a bit open-ended, depending on what you think counts as a bad parent. ;) 

Anyway, here I am with my own answers:

1. The scariest JW drama villain/antagonist

Ooh...this one's tough, because with JW's dramas, the antagonists are either really tame or really dark. Probably because it's still fresh in my mind - and the implications of having an evil self running around and completely ruining your life is just terrifying - I'm gonna say the Evil version of Park Jin Gyeom here.

Anyone from the Kimura clan in Gaksital would be a close second - but I'm saving those for later ;) 

2. The most laughably ineffective JW drama villain/antagonist

It's probably because of the drama's overall tone being way on the light/fluffy side, but I'm gonna go with the Chairwoman from Nae Il's Cantabile here. She's the closest thing to an actual antagonistic character in the show, but her tactics - and how easily they're either ignored or overcome by our main characters - are laughably cartoonish.

In all fairness, though, I think that the main characters' arcs in Nae Il's Cantabile are not protagonist vs. antagonist, but protagonist vs. self (i.e. Yoo Jin, Nae Il, and Yoon Hoo's biggest obstacles are all things within themselves).

3. The worst/most evil JW drama parent

Again, this comes down to what exactly counts as a bad or evil parent. It's true that a number of the parents (especially fathers) in JW's dramas are abusive pieces of you-know-what, I think it's even worse when a parent condones or actively encourages unethical behaviour in their own kids. So with that in mind, I think I'd go with a tie between Seo In Sook and Han Seung Jae here, as they both take this approach to raising Gu Ma Jun and it's just disturbing.

4. The most sympathetic JW drama villain/antagonist (i.e. they're definitely evil, but you still feel bad for them)

Kimura Shunji for me, hands down. I know he doesn't start off evil, but his path is such a slippery slope of one slight step to the dark side after another that it's just heartbreaking to watch his entire downfall.

5. The best male JW drama antihero

On a similar token, I'm going to go with Lee Kang To. He starts off so, so bad, and even his upward climb isn't perfect. Plus, I love how conflicted he was with being called a "hero" at all.

6. The best female JW drama antihero

For me, I'm going to say Han Yeo Jin. She does have heroic potential when she chooses to do what's right, but when she does go dark...you do NOT want to mess with her.

7. The scariest evil mastermind

And this is where I'm going to put Kimura Taro, for obvious reasons ;) 

8. The best femme fatale

Actually, come to think of it, the whole "femme fatale" trope doesn't show up all that often in JW's dramas, does it? So I'm going to agree with @kireeti2 here in answering Chae Hong Joo/Ueno Rie as the best one.

9. The JW drama villain/antagonist/antihero most likely to be an actual psychopath

And coming back full circle to Alice, I'm going to go with Evil Seok Oh Won. Evil Jin Gyeom was scarier, but he lacked the glib charisma and narcissism of an actual psychopath, in my opinion. Evil Seok Oh Won, though...the way he taunts his victims before offing them (or, in the case of Jin Gyeom, trying to) is just cruel. Like, he literally takes pride in being able to trick people into thinking he's still the good one :confounded:

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

By the way, I could help but notice that these three Female characters have lot of similarities apart from being extrovert and PJG. Like, all the three characters are good at what they do and are tenacious in nature, and never likes to be ordered around especially by PJG. :P

I think that's what I liked about the female leads in Alice. And I also liked that as strong/tough they were in their distinct ways, there's no dichotomy between being strong and being feminine. 2020 Tae Yi and Do Yeon are both more tomboyish, but Sun Young is, for all intents and purposes, a pretty conventional mother and housewife...and she's definitely tough as nails! 

• Like 2

And, for the second - bigger - interactive I have for this Halloween weekend's villain-themed goodness: yet another Musical Theatre Challenge.

Spoiler

Musical Theatre Challenge: Villains/Antagonists Edition

You guys know the drill: for each of the songs listed below, share which villain/antagonist from JW's dramas comes to mind, and why.

To make things easier, the songs I've chosen are all sung by the antagonists (who may or may not be villains) in their respective shows. Remember that villains are actually evil/immoral, whereas antagonists are simply opposed to the protagonist (regardless of morals).

And once again, as always, there are no right or wrong answers here. Don't repeat JW drama characters, but otherwise, let your imagination go nuts :) 

1. "Stars" (from Les Miserables)

Musical character: Javert

Context: A police officer doggedly - almost obsessively - chases after an ex-convict (who's actually turned a new leaf and made a successful life for himself) in the mistaken belief that anyone who was bad once would always be bad.

2. "The Room Where It Happened" (from Hamilton)

Musical character: Burr

Context: After years of staying on the sidelines despite growing jealousy at Hamilton's meteoric rise in political influence, Burr finally decides that he's waited long enough and needs to act now. This song is a turning point in his character as he then starts actively seeking to take Hamilton down.

3. "Wonderful" (from Wicked)

Musical character: The Wizard of Oz

Context: As the main power/influence in the land of Oz, the Wizard - like any sly politician - justifies his position by painting himself as a hero.

4. "The Neva Flows" (from Anastasia)

Musical character: Gleb

Context: A Soviet officer recounts the night his father, a Bolshevik revolutionary, took part in the execution of the Russian royal family - and while his father was traumatized by his actions, Gleb himself believes that it was all for the greater good.

5. "I Will Prevail" (from Wonderland - Lyrics)

Musical character: The Mad Hatter

Context: The Mad Hatter - who, in this version of the classic Alice in Wonderland story, is actually a manifestation of Alice's darker side - revels in her position as the power behind the throne in Wonderland.

6. "Mother, Did You See?" (from Love Never Dies - Lyrics)

Musical character: Mme. Giry

Context: A mother reacts after receiving word that the first love of the Phantom - whom her daughter has a one-sided crush on - has come back into his life. Naturally, she worries that the ten years her daughter has spent faithfully by his side won't be enough.

7. "Poor Unfortunate Souls" (from The Little Mermaid Lyrics)

Musical character: Ursula

Context: A witch tricks the mermaid into trading her voice for a chance to experience life as a human. Bonus points here for some rather chauvinistic comments about women in general ;) 

8. "The Madness of King Scar" (from The Lion King)

Musical character: Scar

Context: After usurping the throne by killing his brother, Scar becomes paranoid at the thought that his subjects will now rise up against him.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

And, for the second - bigger - interactive I have for this Halloween weekend's villain-themed goodness: yet another Musical Theatre Challenge.

Two challenges in one day? You are over- working yourself and group members :P

39 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Shunji Kimura

46 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Jung ki-Joon

47 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Lee Ho Joon

49 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Evil Pak Jin Gyeom

50 minutes ago, kittyna said:

5. "I Will Prevail" (from Wonderland - Lyrics)

Lee Chae Young

51 minutes ago, kittyna said:

6. "Mother, Did You See?"

Nurse Hwang

52 minutes ago, kittyna said:

7. "Poor Unfortunate Souls"

Actually the link is showing that video is not available. So, I am going with the lyrics. Gyen Soon

54 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Do Joon, I feel like he is in similar situation like scar,like, he declared that his sister is in coma , who was the real heir of the company. And he constantly making sure that the board members doesn't know about his secret that he put her in a sleep induced coma.

• LOL 2
24 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Two challenges in one day? You are over- working yourself and group members :P

Technically two different days - but I also have to account for time zone differences (i.e. that it's Saturday in Asia while still Friday for me here).

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Lee Ho Joon

Gyen Soon

You're gonna have to remind me who these two are, because the names don't ring a bell. Chances are, I'll know from a description, though ;) 

And speaking of time zone differences, it's still October 30 for me, but already, the Halloween greetings and fan posts are starting to show up on Instagram (and will be winding down by the time I get up tomorrow morning :P). And, well, totally guessed that someone would use this idea.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Gyen Soon

She was the friend who betrayed Mok Dan, like, she was part of the circus as well and is informant for Japanese army

40 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Lee Ho Joon

He is the head of the VIP floor(I forgot the floor number) and in-charge of Han Yeo-Jin's health. Like, he was good in the beginning but turned evil due to circumstances.

I hope you asked about description because you forgot about these two characters and not because these two characters doesn't go with the musical character, if it is the latter case, do let me know I will change my choices. :)

49 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Lee Ho Joon

I was surprised that you forgot about this character. Like, I thought you knew Yong Pal back of your hand;). I can understand about Gyen Soon character, she had little screen time in Bridal Mask and the drama is 8 year old.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I hope you asked about description because you forgot about these two characters and not because these two characters doesn't go with the musical character, if it is the latter case, do let me know I will change my choices.

I did say I'd remember with a description - I just forgot the names ;) So don't worry; now that I know who you're referring to, I understand your choices.

As for my own responses, I had enough time yesterday to set up the challenge in time for Halloween for you guys, but I haven't even started working on that yet. So it might be a while :P 

Another Evil Jin Gyeom Halloween post

• Like 2
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원 - Finished Drama: Alice

And here I am with my own answers to my Musical Theatre Challenge. lol - Told you guys it would take a while, and even now, I think some of my responses are a bit silly, so don't take them too seriously ;) 

Spoiler

Musical character: Javert

So, with the whole concept being that we're dealing with a police officer antagonist, like @kireeti2Gaksital seemed the most natural drama for me to go to. However, rather than Shunji, I'm going to answer Kimura Taro, and here's why: Shunji hates what he's doing and what he's become, but Taro seems to genuinely believe he's acting for the greater good of the Empire.

Musical character: Burr

I remember answering once in another challenge that the dynamic between Burr and Hamilton in Hamilton was similar to that between Park Tae Yong and Kim Tae Hyun in Yong Pal. Like Burr, Tae Yong believes that he should have an innate advantage over Tae Hyun because of factors like socio-economic status: he's most likely from an upper-middle class background and an elite university, whereas Tae Hyun is, for lack of a better term, from the gutter (with the bold attitude to match). So, Tae Yong's always been a bit of a bully: shooting snide remarks in Tae Hyun's direction, foisting less desirable patients on him, etc. However, as Tae Hyun rises in favour in the eyes of their professor, the 12th floor doctors, etc., Tae Yong decides that he needs to take things a step further if he wants to pull ahead...and reports Tae Hyun to the police as Yong Pal.

Musical character: The Wizard of Oz

So, this answer may be crack, but hear me out: I actually wound up thinking of The Teacher from Alice. I know that the Teacher (who I do see as separate from the teenage Evil Jin Gyeom, by the way) is a far darker persona overall, but I think the way he's somehow wound up revered as this eminent god-like figure by the time travelers is quite similar to what we see with the Wizard. Also, since we don't know when or how the Book of Prophecy came about, or who wrote it, it actually crossed my mind once that the Teacher may have written it himself as a way to justify his actions ("I'm not bad - I'm just doing it to prevent all of us time travelers from disappearing!") by painting 2050 Tae Yi/Park Sun Young as some sort of traitor to Alice (which is what the Wizard does to Elphaba with a whole smear campaign to make her the Wicked Witch of the West).

Musical character: Gleb

Not gonna lie: this one was tough for me. I knew I wanted someone who's mostly cool and calculated - someone who takes pride in a belief he's fighting for a higher cause and who also looks down on those who would waver or show mercy at the last moment. At the same time, I wanted someone who felt like he would spout propaganda or represent some sort of corrupt official body (we see that Gleb dismisses rumours that someone from the royal family might have survived in a glib "don't you worry your pretty little head" sort of way). Also, Gleb eventually receives orders to find and kill Anya (the female lead) in response to speculation that she actually might be a surviving royal. So, all those factors now lead me to choose Gi Cheol Am from Alice.

5. "I Will Prevail" (from Wonderland)

Musical character: The Mad Hatter

Okay, while Evil Park Jin Gyeom, or the Teacher (or both) would be the shoo-in response here, the Mad Hatter in Wonderland is female, so we need to look for a girl :P And while I'm not familiar enough with Wonderland as a musical to know if this is a good match (I literally stumbled across this song for the first time while preparing this challenge), something about the sly cunning of the character and the fairy tale references in the song - which make me think of a dark princess of sorts - make me think of Jung Da Yeon from My Sassy Girl. Because let's face it: she's a way more satisfying villain to watch than her father ;) 

6. "Mother, Did You See?" (from Love Never Dies)

Musical character: Mme. Giry

If you will permit me to bend the story a little - such that the words reflect her feelings for herself rather than on her daughter's behalf - I could see some similarities here to Oh Si Young from Alice. We see that Si Young and 2050 Tae Yi were friends at one point, but when they went their separate ways in 1992, Si Young convinced herself that Tae Yi was the one in the wrong for breaking Min Hyuk's heart and that she might actually have a chance to win him around to her side by stepping in as his close friend. However, when 2020 Tae Yi comes into the picture, Si Young comes to the hard realization that Min Hyuk would only ever see her as a friend; yet, rather than being content with this or wishing him happiness, she lets her own jealousy consume her.

7. "Poor Unfortunate Souls" (from The Little Mermaid)

Musical character: Ursula

Here, I wound up thinking of Lee Chae Young from Yong Pal, actually. Like Ursula, she's got a great deal of behind-the-scenes influence: an asset that she likes to flaunt to those around her. So we see Chae Young offering all sorts of advantages and protections to the people she wants to get close to or control (like Tae Hyun or Han Yeo Jin); however, her help always comes with a price. In the case of our two leads, she wants to take Tae Hyun as her lover, and she wants Yeo Jin to let her have him. Um...okay? At least we can say she's determined.

As for Ursula's chauvinistic comments about women (i.e. that men like a girl who doesn't speak up for herself), we can see that Chae Young does play dumb in front of her husband and his staff, even if she's actually a lot craftier under the surface.

Musical character: Scar

Yeah, so I also think that Han Do Joon from Yong Pal is the best fit here, so you guys will just have to forgive the repeat :). However, as a silly back-up answer, if we were to just narrow down Scar's character to his jealousy towards his brother and how unhinged he gets...Kimura Kenji from Gaksital also has those qualities :P 

lol - Looking back at my answers, I guess I have to commend the writers of Alice for giving us quite a broad range of villains to choose from :naughty:

And, on an entirely different (and only vaguely JW-related note), I recently started watching My Wife's Having an Affair This Week. Why "vaguely JW-related"? Look it up ;) 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kittyna said:

And, on an entirely different (and only vaguely JW-related note), I recently started watching My Wife's Having an Affair This Week. Why "vaguely JW-related"? Look it up

Lol! It took me a while to understand your statement, I thought Joo won had some cameo or something but when I looked at the cast, I understood what you were saying ;)

• LOL 2

Lol! It took me a while to understand your statement, I thought Joo won had some cameo or something but when I looked at the cast, I understood what you were saying

Actually, I think a cameo would have been fun, but considering that JW and BoA hadn't gone public about their relationship at the time (the series was from late 2016, and they went public in early 2017), it would probably have been too obvious if he did.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Actually, I think a cameo would have been fun, but considering that JW and BoA hadn't gone public about their relationship at the time (the series was from late 2016, and they went public in early 2017)

I think they started their relationship in early 2017, I think they were just friends when Joo won was helping or giving tips to BoA about acting for her drama. Maybe, they realized their feelings after completion of the drama. Anyway, its really hard to know exactly when they started dating, since both are really private and never likes to reveal their personal things in public domain.

Wow! The chemistry between these two is off the charts. I sort of enjoyed interaction between these when I have first seen them on "Global Request Show". I wouldn't mind watching a drama if these two are in lead roles. I sort of Joo won having good chemistry with Park Ji Yeon than with IVY, not that its IVY's fault, she has better chemistry with other musical actors than Joo won.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think they started their relationship in early 2017, I think they were just friends when Joo won was helping or giving tips to BoA about acting for her drama. Maybe, they realized their feelings after completion of the drama. Anyway, its really hard to know exactly when they started dating, since both are really private and never likes to reveal their personal things in public domain.

I remember at the time the news broke out that longtime fans were saying they'd already been together for a while and just chose to go public after rumours started. But then again, sometimes it's hard to determine when a friendship transitions into a romantic relationship, even for the actual parties involved. So it's also true that only the two of them will ever know for sure.

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Wow! The chemistry between these two is off the charts. I sort of enjoyed interaction between these when I have first seen them on "Global Request Show". I wouldn't mind watching a drama if these two are in lead roles. I sort of Joo won having good chemistry with Park Ji Yeon than with IVY, not that its IVY's fault, she has better chemistry with other musical actors than Joo won.

I don't know if Park Ji Yeon also does screen acting (and her bio is hard to search for to begin with, since there's a more popular singer/actress with the same name. But if she does, that would definitely be fun :) 

Article summarizing an interview JW did last month about Ghost - He talks about how he wants to continue doing both stage and screen acting in the future, and how doing a stage show is different from filming a drama.

• Like 2

Here is her profile, apparently she did few side roles in popular dramas. Like, Life, The King Of Eternal Monarch and Stranger 2

Speaking of dramas like Life and Stranger 2, I really hope JW picks a cable drama sometime soon. It may be a stereotype, but I tend to associate Korea's cable networks with meatier or more complex roles. So, I feel like those would really help push and challenge JW as an actor.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, kittyna said:

It may be a stereotype, but I tend to associate Korea's cable networks with meatier or more complex roles. So, I feel like those would really help push and challenge JW as an actor.

Yeah, I have thinking the same thing. Like, Joo won had never done a drama in Cable networks, which are known for producing Korean dramas which are unconventional, like, they show more creativity and are much bolder in story line, which might be seen as scandalous in traditional networks like SBS, MBS and KBS. I think Joo won is the only actor who has not yet done a cable network drama, although he appeared in few interviews in cable networks. And also, I feel like Joo won's international reach will increase if he does a drama in cable network, since the cable networks always have translations for their drama promos. I hope he takes his next drama which produced by JTBC, then he can go to "Knowing Bros"for promoting his drama, and meet Lee Soo-Geun :P

• Like 2

Yeah, I have thinking the same thing. Like, Joo won had never done a drama in Cable networks, which are known for producing Korean dramas which are unconventional, like, they show more creativity and are much bolder in story line, which might be seen as scandalous in traditional networks like SBS, MBS and KBS

I feel like, before and after Alice, my wish list for JW's future projects hasn't really changed much:

• A more cerebral cable network drama - especially now that I've finished watching Stranger (which was great, by the way) I'd love to see him taking a role like the lead there
  • A serious sageuk - I don't care if he's a royal, a scholar, a warrior, or something else entirely. Just a sageuk that's not a rom-com
  • A villain or antagonist role - @kireeti2, do you remember when I said during the early episodes of Alice that I thought Jin Gyeom was dark and you were like, "No, he isn't"? And then we agreed that yeah, he wasn't. And then Episode 12 happened :P Basically, Evil Jin Gyeom's whetted people's appetite for JW playing the bad guy, so I think I've seen fans asking for this again. Actually, we kinda always do ;) 
  • A husband or father role (or both) - Lord knows when he'll get there, but I do want to see it at least once. Like, I know he's played married characters before (or at least characters who get married), but I want to see him in a role where that's part of the character description to begin with. So...yeah, I wanna see him in an Ahjussi role rather than an Oppa one for once. (Actually, he doesn't even get Oppa often; it's mostly him as the Dongsaeng!)

I hope he takes his next drama which produced by JTBC, then he can go to "Knowing Bros"for promoting his drama, and meet Lee Soo-Geun

lol - If that should ever happen, I'd love to see how Lee Su Geun reacts to him now. He was one of the 1N2D hyungs who was always prompting JW to open up and show his mischievous side more, so I think it'd be fun to see what he thinks of JW now :) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kittyna said:

So...yeah, I wanna see him in an Ahjussi role rather than an Oppa one for once

I think he did acted as a Ajhussi and as a Husband (briefly) in Ojayako Brothers. But yeah I would like to see more of these characters with much more complexity and lot of conflicts

do you remember when I said during the early episodes of Alice that I thought Jin Gyeom was dark and you were like, "No, he isn't"? And then we agreed that yeah, he wasn't. And then Episode 12 happened :P Basically, Evil Jin Gyeom's whetted people's appetite for JW playing the bad guy, so I think I've seen fans asking for this again. Actually, we kinda always do

Lol! That really was surprise to me, seeing evil and good character of joo won in one drama.

A serious sageuk - I don't care if he's a royal, a scholar, a warrior, or something else entirely. Just a sageuk that's not a rom-com

Perhaps, a serious movie like Great Battle would do. I am really not a fan of rom-com when it comes to Historical dramas. Now that Rom-com dramas are not getting much ratings, especially in Korea, I think joo won will definitely choose a serious role for his next drama, and given that he already did a serious role for his upcoming movie "Firefighter" I hopeful that he would choose his next project which as some action and lot of conflicts with his character

lol - If that should ever happen, I'd love to see how Lee Su Geun reacts to him now. He was one of the 1N2D hyungs who was always prompting JW to open up and show his mischievous side more, so I think it'd be fun to see what he thinks of JW now

I think the whole point of "Knowing Bros" show is to bring out funny side of their guest, so, I guess if Joo won goes to that show everyone will try to bring out funny side of joo won, not just Su Geun

I've finished watching Stranger

Stranger 1 or 2? I sort of find the season 2 draggy and had no spark like the first season had. It's like more of a tussle between corrupt cops and prosecutors, in season one the tussle between the lead and corrupt prosecutors comes after the case gone wrong, in the second season it does starts with the case but the case as no solid ground or dept to justify the tussle between the cops and prosecutors. But it did well in domestic market like ratings were steadily increasing, but again it was the case for all the cable network dramas, lot of cable network dramas have now crossed the 4% rating with ease

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think he did acted as a Ajhussi and as a Husband (briefly) in Ojayako Brothers.

He played a husband, but I wouldn't say Hwang Tae Hui was really an "ahjussi" sort of character - the running gag in the show was that he should have been an "oppa" (once you consider his age alongside Ja Eun's), except that he felt really awkward being called that and so Baek Ja Eun called him "ahjussi" instead.

But yeah I would like to see more of these characters with much more complexity and lot of conflicts

That's what I mean: complexity or conflicts. Generally speaking, JW has had a decent track record for choosing such roles for himself, but I would like to see him continue further in that direction and really be able to stay on in the industry as a character actor.

I think the whole point of "Knowing Bros" show is to bring out funny side of their guest, so, I guess if Joo won goes to that show everyone will try to bring out funny side of joo won, not just Su Geun

Speaking of funny variety shows, I finally had the chance to watch the Radio Star episode, now that Alice is done. It was great to see how much more relaxed JW was here compared to his previous talk show appearances: he's gotten better at bouncing off the hosts and fellow guests, and he also appears to be more willing to laugh at himself. If nothing else, he shared way more about the funny or awkward incidents from Alice filming than he did for previous dramas (e.g. his thoughts about the rooftop scene, or even his part as teenage Jin Gyeom).

By the way, I can't be the only one who thinks that as embarrassing as his early impression in front of Kim Hee Sun was (i.e. passing out after just one glass of wine right in front of her), it probably helped to better establish the dynamic between their respective roles as mother and son. ;) 

But even with the changes, there was enough of the JW I knew from before that I could sense he hadn't changed much over the years. For instance, he was still the serious/diligent straight shooter type during his enlistment (funny that the editors chose the same type of "Joseon man" CGI effect here as the editors for Win Win did in 2012), he still cringed when IVY talked about the bugs in her garden, and he still did look away awkwardly during the more sensual opening of Choi Jung Won's dance. Those little tiny adorkable parts of him were still there, and I loved that :) 

Another favourite JW moment from this show for me: when the hosts brought up how he cried at the Alice press conference, and he was defending himself by being all, "I was just tearing up; I don't cry that much in real life," you could see all his fellow Ghost cast members staring at him like, "Um, yeah, you do." :lol:

Stranger 1 or 2? I sort of find the season 2 draggy and had no spark like the first season had. It's like more of a tussle between corrupt cops and prosecutors, in season one the tussle between the lead and corrupt prosecutors comes after the case gone wrong, in the second season it does starts with the case but the case as no solid ground or dept to justify the tussle between the cops and prosecutors.

The first one. To be honest, watching Stranger with family alongside watching Alice on my own...yeah, in hindsight, that was pretty nuts :P Both dramas featuring leads with alexithymia aside, it was crazy how both of them had all these twists and turns where you were never quite sure who was good and who was bad. Stranger had the more conventional "evil boss revealed from the start" structure, though.

Also, from other dramas, it feels rivalry between the police and the prosecutors is a common trope - which feels really weird to me, because I'm always like, "But aren't you technically on the same side...?" I asked my mom about it while we were watching Stranger, and she said it's likely that they just both want to get the credit for cracking the case.

• Like 2
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]