Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Father's Day with Joo Won  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most fun father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

• Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
  2. 2. Who is the strictest father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

• Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
  3. 3. In which drama do you wish that Joo Won’s character should be closer to his dad? (choose as many as you want)

• Alice
    • My Sassy Girl
    • Yong Pal
    • Naeil’s Cantabile
    • Good Doctor
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant
    • Bridal Mask
    • Ojakgyo Family
    • King of Baking, Kim Takgu

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/23/2021 at 11:41 AM

@kireeti2 was talking about how they're underutilizing characters such as Min Hyuk and Do Yeon... I am actually finding it more unfair that SBS is leaving out Min Hyuk and Do Yeon from making videos..specially MH..JG-MH has many important scenes but so far SBS has only shared MH part in two video..so is the case for DY. That doesn't look or feel well.

Latest making video..

I have a feeling SBS is trying to overutilize KHS and JW's popularity in this aspect but in many ways a drama is a team effort. Not including other important cast in the making seems disrespectful.

sharing two gifs those are either deleted or yet to be released..

Who is pinching JG's cheek!

JW with KSY..everyone is waiting for their moment. What do you think this scene might be? Them sloving cases in JG's apartment? 

• Like 4
  • Replies 58k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Latest making video..

Lol, that last scene in the video is hilarious, like I was also surprised that Joo won opened the car door or it was supposed to be locked from inside

:D

I have a feeling SBS is trying to overutilize KHS and JW's popularity in this aspect but in many ways a drama is a team effort. Not including other important cast in the making seems disrespectful.

I feel the same way, we know that Joo won and Kim Hee Seon are big but I don't think any good drama would like to totally bank on stardom of the main characters, that's really a bad strategy and will eventually lead to low ratings, case in point "The King: Eternal Monarch". A good drama should  have to utilize all the cast members properly in order for the drama to be successful.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
14 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

In fact while I was watching angry comments I was like I would like JG to ignore everything and believe in Ajusshi. Because that would show his emotional growth since his mother left him. Also I could see no matter how suspicious Ajusshi was he seemed so conflicted, tired, indecisive.. And throughout whole time his care for JG seemed so genuine. It would have been really unreal and OOC if they showed that Ajusshi was using JG the whole  time..  

Most of the criticism I've seen on this front has nothing to do with Go Hyung Seok at all. Instead, it has been that 1) this is out-of-character for someone with alexithymia like Jin Gyeom, and 2) even if he is starting to experience greater emotional depth, as a police officer, it's his responsibility to put his own feelings aside and seriously consider Go Hyung Seok as a suspect.

And I definitely get that: more often than not in dramas, the good characters are the ones who choose a broader moral justice over their own friends and family (e.g. the ever-popular trope of the chaebol heir who turns in their corrupt CEO parent - and if the police doesn't work, then they go to the media). Not only that, but despite knowing how things do ultimately work out, we can't ignore the harsh reality that if Go Hyung Seok really had been bad (which, for instance, was what we saw Yoon Tae Yi starting to think), then Jin Gyeom's choice to give him the benefit of the doubt would have cost him his life. Jin Gyeom was taking a huge gamble here, and we need to be honest about that.

However, I can also in turn give Jin Gyeom the benefit of the doubt because having to choose that "broader moral justice" is way easier said than done. And I think it's interesting that the writers chose to show us the deep emotional conflict that it actually involves...in a person with alexithymia.

Actually, come to think of it, I actually think that Jin Gyeom's case of alexithymia is generally mild - or at least that he's improved significantly over the years. lol - I've recently just started watching Secret Forest (aka Stranger) with my family, and it's been fun looking at two different characters with alexithymia at the same time. It didn't take me long to notice the differences between Jin Gyeom and the male lead in Secret Forest, with the main one being that while the male lead in SF seems to struggle feeling any sort of emotional response to a situation, Jin Gyeom does feel (albeit less and at a slight delay compared to most people) and instead struggles more with identifying and articulating those feelings. Also, the male lead in SF is oftentimes shown picking up people's emotional cues and thinking about them (e.g. "He's saying this, but he's doing that - this person's lying."), whereas Jin Gyeom...is kinda terrible at noticing and responding to other people's emotions.

For example: the whole running gag about listening to music, where after being explicitly taught by Tae Yi that most people like to listen to songs for their emotional value, starts pulling that out over and over again in attempts to comfort her...only to have to be explicitly taught a second time that what music you choose matters as well. lol - It was like watching a more stone-faced version of Park Si On trying to keep up with Cha Yoon Seo's lessons all over again :lol:

When JG was accused of murder in high school he thought it was okay that people was accusing him becuse the situation was against it, all the proofs are against him.. So when his mom said that she'd only believe him and asked him if he did it he told her " What difference does it make if you trust me?" and his mom replied "To me that's most important-- because you're my son." Before this JG may never have the idea that belief and opinions can be objective depending of relationship.

Going back to that bit from when he was in high school, I think another huge lesson that Jin Gyeom learned was that even if he didn't care what others thought about him (he still doesn't, ten years later), those who love him can still feel hurt on his behalf. And he starts to sympathize (empathy might still be beyond him, but I definitely think he felt sympathy) for his mom after seeing how much crap she had to put up with on a regular basis just to defend him.

Here, Ajusshi said to him that it may not have been a good idea to let Jin Gyeom live alone. JG said that he didn’t wanted to live Ajusshi’s house.. which means that he was very at home in their place.. Enough that he didn’t want his own place like young people or adopted people would usually like to do. This coming from a blunt person like JG spoke volume to me.

For me, the defining moment in this character relationship arc was when Jin Gyeom met up with Go Hyung Seok right after watching the video, in Episode 10 (and now, looking at both scenes side-by-side, that's got to have been a deliberate choice from the stylists for them to be wearing almost the same costumes). Ahjussi senses that Jin Gyeom did see something and that he's struggling to speak up about it, and he even tries to encourage Jin Gyeom to just say it. And you can tell from the look on his face when Jin Gyeom says "No" that he actually knows it's a lie, especially when Jin Gyeom immediately follows that with, "I really have improved a lot, and I have you to thank for that. So please, just stay by my side like this for a long time."

lol - Watching this scene a second time for the purpose of this reply, I realize that people who focused on Jin Gyeom's throwing away the USB afterwards missed the point of these moments. Jin Gyeom is, in fact, doing the thing that most K-drama good guys do: he's making it known to Go Hyung Seok that he's giving him the benefit of the doubt in hopes that his beloved "Ahjussi" would come clean on his own.

And I sense that Go Hyung Seok noticed that, and I like to think that if subsequent events (i.e. the switch between Evil and Good Seok Oh Won, the kill order for Jin Gyeom, etc.) hadn't happened so quickly, he would have confessed to Jin Gyeom about being in the motel during their fishing trip.

And I am skeptic about the fact that evil JG is actually the killer of Omma.. That just doesn't feel very right. Also teaser are usually not what they look like.. But this evil JG definitely is a serious issue..we see rash on both JG. So I am very curious how they'll link up the stories.

Right now, if we consider the parallel universes theory that informs most of Alice, my guess is that Tae Yi went into the parallel universe where Jin Gyeom was actually evil and killed his mother. We see the same events playing out at the end of Episode 12 as they did in Episode 1, but they turned out just differently enough that we could tell this is most likely a darker Jin Gyeom than the one she knows. For example, we see that Jin Gyeom is alone when he finds the kids graffitiing his house and he reacts with more aggression - in this version of 2010, he doesn't get to see how saddened his mother is on his behalf, so he never experiences that twinge of conscience that the Jin Gyeom we know did in the same incident. Also, the butcher that we see in Episode 12 is less sympathetic towards Jin Gyeom than the one we see in Episodes 1 and 5. Which makes me think that people who knew "our" Jin Gyeom personally when he was growing up knew that he was a good person underneath the intimidating, stone-faced exterior, but that that might not be true for the 2010 Jin Gyeom that Tae Yi sees now during her time travel.

However, again, this is not the universe that "our" Jin Gyeom inhabits, meaning that what we see of Park Sun Young's death here is not what happened to "our" Jin Gyeom either. The Episode 13 preview seems to imply that this Sun Young was strangled or smothered in her sleep by Evil!Jin Gyeom, but we definitely know that that's not what happened in "our" Jin Gyeom's timeline.

4 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I feel the same way, we know that Joo won and Kim Hee Seon are big but I don't think any good drama would like to totally bank on stardom of the main characters, that's really a bad strategy and will eventually lead to low ratings, case in point "The King: Eternal Monarch". A good drama should  have to utilize all the cast members properly in order for the drama to be successful.

Dramas are often cast so that up-and-coming actors are "carried along" by more popular or veteran actors. The hope is ultimately that enough viewers will become intrigued by the new faces that they will be able to snag greater opportunities in the future. In The King: Eternal Monarch, for instance, a lot of the show's popularity was riding on Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun, but I saw a ton of interest in Woo Do Hwan afterwards. Maybe something similar will happen with Kwak Si Yang and Lee Da In here - Alice is the first time many viewers are seeing either of them, and the feedback for KSY at least has been overwhelmingly positive.

However, this is a potential drawback for pre-produced dramas: underutilization of supporting characters who are starting to become fan favourites. In a liveshoot drama (which was the model used predominantly in the past), it was easy to add more scenes for these characters along the way, but with a pre-produced drama, what's done is done. Even the making videos were probably already made well in advance and are just being released as-is.

Who is pinching JG's cheek!

Looks like Ahjussi, after he was attacked outside the restaurant and Jin Gyeom saved him :) 

JW with KSY..everyone is waiting for their moment. What do you think this scene might be? Them sloving cases in JG's apartment? 

Maybe? It's hard to tell if the characters will get along just from watching the actors, but considering how casually Min Hyuk's dressed here, it's possible that this is after they make up :) 

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

What? I thought it was Kim Hee seon ? I don't think it's Detective Ko 

Like @kittyna, I guessed it as a scene with Ajusshi too.. Remember this scene? He's wearing same thing.

EiuyAUlVgAISCw1?format=jpg&name=large

You guys remember we talked about that photo Da In uploaded, we assumed it to be taken on the day Jin Gyeom died. Now that we are ahead with the story, the picture turns out to be exactly from Ajusshi's death scene. So interesting that Alice team tried to focus on the details as both scenes occurred in the same day.

EkA6ROOVoAE3qn7?format=jpg&name=small

Pretty Alice team picture.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

What? I thought it was Kim Hee seon ? I don't think it's Detective Ko 

17 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Like @kittyna, I guessed it as a scene with Ajusshi too.. Remember this scene? He's wearing same thing.

:loolz: Oh, my God - here we were, guessing from clues in costumes (for me, it was the curly/frizzy hair), when the answer was in the caption the entire time! It literally says "Go hyungsa", which means "Detective Go". :headbang:

18 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

You guys remember we talked about that photo Da In uploaded, we assumed it to be taken on the day Jin Gyeom died. Now that we are ahead with the story, the picture turns out to be exactly from Ajusshi's death scene. So interesting that Alice team tried to focus on the details as both scenes occurred in the same day.

I noticed that, too. Actually, the first time I saw behind-the-scenes photos from this bit - the one with just four cast members - I was like, "Wait...that looks like when they filmed Jin Gyeom's death scene, but that's way too little fake blood on JW." So I suspected there was something else going on, but had no way of knowing what exactly ;) 

And, yes, I noticed the date - October 15, 2020 - as well :) So, when Tae Yi went forward in time to 2021, she went to the 2021 in the parallel universe where Jin Gyeom died - but in "our" universe, it's Go Hyung Seok who dies instead.

• Like 3

By the way, I don't know if anyone here actually did go and check out the "My Ultimate Oppa" poll, but I went and cast my vote, and that allowed me to see the results so far.

Seeing JW's stats so far raises an interesting question for me re: the results. And I want to pose it to you guys to hear your response: would you rather JW be popular or underrated - and why?

It's actually really thought-provoking once you let it sit in your brain for a while (and if you are willing to be brutally honest with yourself), so I'm curious where you guys end up going with this :) 

Note: while it is possible for someone to be both popular and underrated at the same time, assume for the purposes of this thought experiment that you have to choose either one.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, kittyna said:

would you rather JW be popular or underrated - and why?

I think joo won is underrated when it comes to his acting. His acting some what on par with veteran actors like "Kang Ho Song" and "Kwak Do Won". But I think he is not getting enough recognition because he is doing more dramas instead of movies. Like, you see Korean movie actors are not very popular in overseas like the K-drama stars, since K-drama's usually use lot of K-pop artist who are already popular in overseas and try to get make the drama as popular as they can regardless of story and acting. And also, I see drama cast members often promote their dramas via Variety shows like Running Man which is also popular worldwide and in "The Knowing Bros" which is also gaining popularity in recent times. I think biggest draw back of Joo won's skills are being able to recognized is because of the rom-com dramas which his agency often makes him do like "Catch Me", "7 Grade Civil Servant" . Joo won is more cut out for serious roles and his lack of baby face makes him less compatible with Rom- Com type dramas or Movies. In Alice his acting was exceptional when he was doing a serious scenes like fighting and car chase scenes, and also the way he threatens the future kid was really cool scene. Overall, I think Joo won is underrated because of the incompatible roles that he chooses or his agency makes him do, he should be taking some serious roles from crime thrillers or psychological thrillers and also I think he would do excellent job as a villain. 

And I do think he is popular in Korea and few parts of South East Asia due to his past dramas, I think his Yong pal drama is still intact, but I think it will eventually fade away if he doesn't do a drama which fits his acting and personality. So, for your question I think Joo won is popular(in a limited way) and underrated at the same time. It is the case with most of the actors from K-drama, they are often underrated even though they do exceptionally well in their dramas. 

And also, I think he would do well in the story line where the male lead is an underdog, since Korean dramas are really good at make the dramas in which male or female lead are underdogs, baring few like "Backstreet Rookie" in which both the leads were underdogs but failed to garner views, maybe because of poor writing and relying too much on cliches. So, I think joo won would have no problem portraying as an underdog male lead since he has already done it in his previous dramas like in "Bridal Mask" and "Fashion King"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First of all, tons of stills from the recent press call performance of Ghost

(Again, there are so many pictures posted by so many different people that there's bound to be some overlap - apologies in advance.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGWcrmXsCJY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGWyWmOpFYz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGWynHyJwQz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGW0eE8JA0i/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGW0ippJxxZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGW2eXIJxnp/

JW also posted a V Live video about Ghost as well. It hasn't been translated into English at the time that I'm writing this, but keep your eyes open for potential future fan-subs :) 

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But I think he is not getting enough recognition because he is doing more dramas instead of movies. Like, you see Korean movie actors are not very popular in overseas like the K-drama stars, since K-drama's usually use lot of K-pop artist who are already popular in overseas and try to get make the drama as popular as they can regardless of story and acting.

That's an interesting point. JW actually has an advantage in terms of acting skills because his initial experience was on stage (school theatre productions, musicals, etc.). And in Korea, at least, seeing someone who has done theatre then being cast in a drama is an indication that that person's going to be good to watch :) I have noticed that the lines are blurring in a way that I never expected, though: K-pop idols doing dramas is to be expected (for the reasons you described), but I have been surprised to see some idols shifting into musicals as well. Musical theatre and K-pop are quite different in terms of the type of vocal skills and techniques involved - and I do find the blanket assumption that people either can sing or can't and can just easily switch around between genres rather concerning.

I think biggest draw back of Joo won's skills are being able to recognized is because of the rom-com dramas which his agency often makes him do like "Catch Me", "7 Grade Civil Servant" . Joo won is more cut out for serious roles and his lack of baby face makes him less compatible with Rom- Com type dramas or Movies. In Alice his acting was exceptional when he was doing a serious scenes like fighting and car chase scenes, and also the way he threatens the future kid was really cool scene. Overall, I think Joo won is underrated because of the incompatible roles that he chooses or his agency makes him do, he should be taking some serious roles from crime thrillers or psychological thrillers and also I think he would do excellent job as a villain. 

The main known success out of his agency's choices is Yong Pal. They were the ones who pitched it to JW, and while he was initially reluctant to consider a second medical-themed drama so soon after Good Doctor, he wound up being drawn in by the script. So that's touted as a classic win-win for everyone involved :) 

I agree with you re: JW's lack of a baby face. Which is weird, because once his aegyo gets involved...yeah :P But JW doesn't immediately cut a very innocent or wholesome image (unlike, say, Jung Hae In - who, by the way, is one of my faves and just adorable all around, so I'm not saying this to put him down); people he's worked with describe him as the sort who looks like the "bad boy", but who actually ends up being good to the point of almost being boring once they get to know him.

So, for your question I think Joo won is popular(in a limited way) and underrated at the same time. It is the case with most of the actors from K-drama, they are often underrated even though they do exceptionally well in their dramas. 

Well, my question was which one (popular or underrated) you'd prefer him to be, but fair enough :P I'll put my own response in another post.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, kittyna said:

Seeing JW's stats so far raises an interesting question for me re: the results. And I want to pose it to you guys to hear your response: would you rather JW be popular or underrated - and why?

It's actually really thought-provoking once you let it sit in your brain for a while (and if you are willing to be brutally honest with yourself), so I'm curious where you guys end up going with this :) 

Note: while it is possible for someone to be both popular and underrated at the same time, assume for the purposes of this thought experiment that you have to choose either one

(I was thinking of skipping the poll because I do not follow strongly anyone in the third segment but then saw your post went went there to see the result..ha ha)

Oh..such a complicated question even without the note applied!!

I will answer like this.. If underrated means to be someone whom people do not list as their ultimate oppa but can vouch that his acting is solid or they mention certain characters when they think of Joo Won, then yes. I prefer Joo Won to be that kind of underrated than a Hallyu Star who is not that well in performance.

I have always loved how most people in media says he is a powerful actor, dependable actor..those I think are real indication of how they perceive him. You remember in Healing camp he was asked "Is there any actor his age who he wonders why is this person so good at acting! While Joo Won answers there's a lot Seo Jang Hoon asked "Who is it!" :lol: Meaning who is it that gives pressure to such acting talent like JW. Seo Jang Hoon seems like a very serious, no non sense guy. Coming from this just  shows how they acknowledge JW's solid versatile performance!

Before Joo Won went to Military, his last project MSG did average if you compare it with his usual drama rating... Many A listed and Hallyu actors have come in 2019 but how many received anywhere close to 50 scripts( I am sure they received quite a lot to but did they get this many, if so surely it'd be a news).. this amount of scripts means that is the volume of production expected his return and wanted to work with him.

Joo Won was once asked in a Guerilla Date what are his fans like "He said they seems gentle. But that doesn't mean other people's fans are not." I think as most his fans are people with observation, so is he.

I really did not want to compare with anyone but still I am going to do a slight comparison.

Spoiler

Everyone is talking about TKEM when comparing Alice. I didn't watch it. But it has two popular lead of current time. LMH is always Hallyu and KGE is well acclaimed actress, still fresh in people's mind with Goblin. They have script from popular scriptwriter  of  Hallyu Dramas. It has been adopted by Netflix. Look at the local rating.. It is almost same as Alice till episode 12. If you compare overall backing of two project TKEM has more exposure than Alice. But they're doing almost same.

21 hours ago, kittyna said:

Oh, my God - here we were, guessing from clues in costumes (for me, it was the curly/frizzy hair), when the answer was in the caption the entire time! It literally says "Go hyungsa", which means "Detective Go". 

I only go for a text scanner when I do not have a clue at all.. :joy:

Btw, Joo Won did his own personal vlive today..He talked mostly about Musical.. talked a bit about Alice well..How there are many twists and fun are in coming 4 episodes.

https://www.vlive.tv/video/218105?channelCode=FD143

He did one live musical vlive too..But I haven't watched it yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He did one live musical vlive too..But I haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for sharing it, it's better than I expected. And it was good to see that Joo won's voice is still same and there was no major change after the Military enlistment.

I think it is first I am seeing Joo won playing as a "salary man", usually he is use to play roles like Detective or Doctor but never as salary man. So, I think he would do well in drama with role as salary man

• Like 4
3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

(I was thinking of skipping the poll because I do not follow strongly anyone in the third segment but then saw your post went went there to see the result..ha ha)

I seldom participate in these polls either - and the third section cracked me up so much, because I felt the division between the second ("Mature") and the third ("Younger") was really arbitrary. I mean, JW under "Mature" and Kim Soo Hyun under "Younger" when they're literally just a few months apart (Sept. 1987 and Feb. 1988, respectively)? Really? So I just rolled with it - had the categories been divided differently, I might have put down different responses. But I definitely would have found some way to include JW regardless, because he is my bias, after all ;) 

I have always loved how most people in media says he is a powerful actor, dependable actor..those I think are real indication of how they perceive him. You remember in Healing camp he was asked "Is there any actor his age who he wonders why is this person so good at acting! While Joo Won answers there's a lot Seo Jang Hoon asked "Who is it!" :lol: Meaning who is it that gives pressure to such acting talent like JW. Seo Jang Hoon seems like a very serious, no non sense guy. Coming from this just  shows how they acknowledge JW's solid versatile performance!

I don't remember if the question was about acting ability or popularity - or a combination of both - but I do know from general comments that JW has a lot of respect for other actors and what they can do. :) 

Before Joo Won went to Military, his last project MSG did average if you compare it with his usual drama rating... Many A listed and Hallyu actors have come in 2019 but how many received anywhere close to 50 scripts( I am sure they received quite a lot to but did they get this many, if so surely it'd be a news).. this amount of scripts means that is the volume of production expected his return and wanted to work with him.

It could be that other actors got this many as well - maybe even some overlap with the offers for JW, who knows? - but it became newsworthy for JW because audiences started wondering why the heck he was taking so long choosing his comeback drama :P Like, he finished his enlistment first, but was pretty much the last one to sign on to anything, such that by the time he confirmed Alice, some other comeback dramas have already come and gone.

But once JW explained (in his May 2019 fanmeeting, I believe) just how many offers he got and that he was taking his time looking through them, fans understood. And we knew to expect something good because he was the one making the choice :) 

Joo Won was once asked in a Guerilla Date what are his fans like "He said they seems gentle. But that doesn't mean other people's fans are not." I think as most his fans are people with observation, so is he.

Good point. I also planned to say something about the fandom in my response, so you know what? Let's just go for it :) 

Would I rather JW be popular or underrated?

For me, the initial response is easy: underrated. But how on earth does that make any sense? If I claim that JW is my bias/favourite/"ultimate Oppa"/etc., shouldn't I want him to be as popular as he can be? And isn't that what's ultimately better for him and his career?

(Yeah, I'm gonna get philosophical with this - bear with me.)

So that got me thinking: why? Why do I think this way about JW? And I think, when it comes down to it, it's because I like to think of him as a rare treasure who isn't immediately noticeable. And, somewhere deep inside of me, I take an admittedly childish (and slightly petty) pride in being in on something most people don't know or care about.

Let me explain by giving a non-JW-related example. I went on one of those student travel tours to Paris when I was in high school, and one of the historic sites we visited was the Père Lachaise cemetery. At the time, our tour guide was trying to take us on a route to the grave of Jim Morrison: someone who I could tell from context (being highlighted on the tour, my peers' responses, etc.) was famous, but who I myself wasn't familiar with. However, along the way, we wound up walking past Chopin's grave. Now if anyone knows my Seolleim in Salzburg stories, you'll know I'm a big classical music nerd - so this, I was excited about. But...no-one else noticed? Maybe? I'm not a mindreader, but what I do remember is how the rest of the group just...walked right by: no stopping, no double-takes, nothing. It felt like I was literally the only one in the group who was getting excited and I realized, in that moment, that I actually enjoyed that feeling. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of a rock musician (Morrison) being recognized and a classical musician (Chopin) being ignored, but I started to think, in my own biased classical music nerd way, that I'd somehow landed on something better.

So what does any of this have to do with JW? Well, in comparison with other Hallyu stars, he isn't as well-known or recognized. That's the simple reality. It's hard to find JW merch when you visit Korea compared to many others: from my own experience visiting Seoul four years ago, K-pop groups and idols rank first, followed by a number of seriously big name actors - Song Joong Ki (this was right in the middle of DOTS), Lee Min Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Lee Jong Suk, Park Hae Jin, etc. It's hard to find news about JW on English-language Hallyu news sites, or to find him featured in the popular listicles. It's hard for pictures of JW to appear on my Pinterest feed - I need to post several pictures to trigger that particular algorithm, but pictures of bigger name actors will show up entirely on their own. 

And while this all gets frustrating at times, more often than not, I come back to that same feeling that I experienced in Paris: that sense that I'd somehow landed on something better than the mainstream.

So, how about the future? Do I want JW to become more popular than he is? Yes, but just a bit. Just enough that I could see that it's his acting skills or his personality that's drawing people in rather than his looks or charisma. I want him to stay humble, and I want his fandom - our fandom - to stay small and intimate and gentle like it is right now. And I guess, deep down, I worry that reaching full Hallyu star levels of popularity might disrupt all that.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
20 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Lol! Why "Im Si-wan "  is under young actors list along with the guys who are 6 years younger than him?

I told you guys it was weird :P 

Honestly, I think that it's because there are so many popular/well-known actors who were born in the late 1980s that it was impossible to narrow down a list of just twenty names for people to choose from. So, whoever designed the poll probably just decided to push the youngest few (Kim Soo Hyun, Im Si Wan, Lee Jong Suk, etc.) into the "Younger" category to make them all fit.

It makes voting really weird, though - because I can't be the only one who was left scrambling to just pick three at the end there. Actually, besides JW, I can't even remember who else I picked anymore :P 

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think it is first I am seeing Joo won playing as a "salary man", usually he is use to play roles like Detective or Doctor but never as salary man. So, I think he would do well in drama with role as salary man

Missed replying to this one earlier, but I don't think it's ever crossed my mind to imagine JW playing a salaryman before. But now that I think about it, that would be interesting - I wonder what sort of story he'd tell.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Since this number - "Rain/Hold On" - was performed by JW's co-stars in the recent 2020 press performance of Ghost, here's a throwback to when JW did it back in 2013:

I like it how the chemistry and performance of the leads doesn't change at all even if the leads are swapped for every performance, for instance, Joo won's chemistry is same with Ivy and Park JI-Yeon and vice versa. It's like they recreate the scene with different musical actors with same chemistry and performance. :approves:

• Like 2

There were several Korean reviews stating that watching Joo Won with Ivy was like spying on a couple, whilst they were on a date.

And after watching the press con videos, I have to agree with those reviews. The chemistry is outlandish and like in his dramas, his ability to have chemistry with all his co-stars is a gift that any actor would kill for. 

But from what I understand, the sex scene (in the press call) was toned down. In the show, the sex scenes are much steamier. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, airplanegirl said:

But from what I understand, the sex scene (in the press call) was toned down. In the show, the sex scenes are much steamier

I definitely remember something along those lines from the fan reviews of the 2013 production on the Joo Won Cuties website - or, if nothing else, fans were able to comment on what JW looked like shirtless, so we know that at least that detail is different ;) 

Whether the scene was toned down overall or simply cut short to just before JW would take his shirt off in the press call is beyond me. However, it makes sense that the press call version would be more family-friendly, given that it could end up televised (and Korean content censors are still quite strict - at least compared to what I see here in North America).

10 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I like it how the chemistry and performance of the leads doesn't change at all even if the leads are swapped for every performance, for instance, Joo won's chemistry is same with Ivy and Park JI-Yeon and vice versa. It's like they recreate the scene with different musical actors with same chemistry and performance

I think there will likely be some differences between actors, since each person's offering his/her own interpretation of the characters. However, the rotations happen in such a way that everyone gets a ton of opportunities to work with everyone else, so by the time we see them on stage, after countless rehearsals, they're all already really comfortable and natural.

And speaking of JW's chemistry with his co-stars, check out these two cuties :)

JW's own "Alice Day" update - He's doing Ghost today, and also sends out a reminder for fans to dress warmly (I guess the weather's quite cool in Seoul right now) :) 

So, I was vaguely aware before that in addition to the previews at the end of each episode, SBS also releases little tiny teasers just before the new episode airs. And here's the one for Episode 13, featuring our first real look at Evil!Jin Gyeom (or at least that's who I think he is, since this is definitely not the teenage version of "our" Jin Gyeom). Creepy Jin Gyeom is creepy.... :naughty:

Let me balance that out with some cutie fanart :) And this post about JW's recent fashion.

• Like 2

So, I haven't actually watched Episode 13 yet, but from what little I've seen so far, is it reasonable to guess that the writers are, like, really into classic literature? Because not only does the drama draw heavily from Alice in Wonderland in its basic concept, but along with its Oedipus-esque subplot (which is already resolved now), it's now adding Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to the mix? What...???

Spoiler

I hope, if the references to Jekyll and Hyde are deliberate, that the writers don't take Alice to the natural conclusion of that narrative - where, after it becomes clear to Jekyll that Hyde is the one taking control, he discovers that the only way to defeat him is to commit suicide, since they're ultimately the same person.

• Like 1
On 10/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, kittyna said:

Dramas are often cast so that up-and-coming actors are "carried along" by more popular or veteran actors. The hope is ultimately that enough viewers will become intrigued by the new faces that they will be able to snag greater opportunities in the future. In The King: Eternal Monarch, for instance, a lot of the show's popularity was riding on Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun, but I saw a ton of interest in Woo Do Hwan afterwards. Maybe something similar will happen with Kwak Si Yang and Lee Da In here - Alice is the first time many viewers are seeing either of them, and the feedback for KSY at least has been overwhelmingly positive.

However, this is a potential drawback for pre-produced dramas: underutilization of supporting characters who are starting to become fan favourites. In a liveshoot drama (which was the model used predominantly in the past), it was easy to add more scenes for these characters along the way, but with a pre-produced drama, what's done is done. Even the making videos were probably already made well in advance and are just being released as-is.

I would like to clear myself in this regard..I have no complain against the amount of screen time MH or DY are getting.. I believe they're having required amount of screen time. It's just people who like them more or just discovered these good actors who are feeling disappointed about their drama screen time. I complained about how they're not in the making videos. They're mostly of Joo Won and Km Hee Sun. There are one on one scene of Joo Won-Kwak Si Yang, Joo-Won- Lee Da In, Lee Da In-Kim Hee Sun.. Even though they have interesting parts that can be featured in makings, SBS did not give us any is what I am talking about. I myself enjoy Doyeoni-taeyi cat fight..but it's sad we've no making of those fun scenes.. SBS is always promoting how JW and KSY has so many action scenes but we've no making of those. That's what I find not satisfactory.

I actually like it that Alice is fully pre produced... I recently had a bad experience with SBS live shooting airing drama.. they totally changed their story and romance ship because other character got more hyped.. That was a very unpleasent memory of mine so when I heard JW is going to do SBS drama I was kind of freaked thinking about what ifs... then was glad that Alice is going to be pre produced! :sweatingbullets:

On 10/15/2020 at 8:17 PM, kittyna said:

I seldom participate in these polls either - and the third section cracked me up so much, because I felt the division between the second ("Mature") and the third ("Younger") was really arbitrary. I mean, JW under "Mature" and Kim Soo Hyun under "Younger" when they're literally just a few months apart (Sept. 1987 and Feb. 1988, respectively)? Really? So I just rolled with it - had the categories been divided differently, I might have put down different responses. But I definitely would have found some way to include JW regardless, because he is my bias, after all ;) 

On 10/15/2020 at 10:05 PM, kireeti2 said:

Lol! Why "Im Si-wan "  is under young actors list along with the guys who are 6 years younger than him?

lol..Exactly..But who started the poll has given a explanation so may be shouldn't hung up too much on it.

Alice Ep 13

Watched today's episode... Will watch it again with sub.

Spoiler

But I am very satisfied with this episode. The thing everyone is bothered about "IF YOON TAE YI'S ARE DIFFERENT" has been addressed today. And it's exactly what I have been thinking so far since the time I started watching Alice. It feels good. But the story is moving in a good direction -just because two people are same should they bear the same fate, surely at least one can scape the misfortune if not two. But both Tae Yi would give their all to save Jin Gyeom..can 2020 Tae Yi avoid the prophesied misfortune!

Park Jin Gyeom and Dark Jin Gyeom they say..I had the feeling that young Jin Gyeom might be getting affected if 2020 Jin Gyeom time travel. after watching this episode that is what actually seems to be happening. Young Jin Gyeom due to the affect of time travel of Jin Gyeom/wormhole radiation effect may have gotten vulnerable and easy prey for whoever(Seok Oh Won) is behind all this mess. 

This Dark Jin Gyeom seems to visiting in 2020 as well..hmm.

Will talk more about it when you guys are done watching.

Leaving some vlive moment of JW in here in first he talked about Alice..

and in this he was answering a question about how far is home is from Ghost theatre..I just found they way he answered soo adorable! 

• Like 4
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]