Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

That seems to be a thing with KDramas. I watched one where the actors current age was at least in their early 60's and yet with a flashback to their youth, all that was done was to give them a hairstyle from that decade. It looked hilarious.

• Like 4
  • Replies 57.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I can see that, they use technology a lot in their shows, I think the Ghost from western is different from Korean version not only in terms of actors and language but also, they sort of used some kind of light technology to create an illusion. So, I figured that Korean Musical is a big thing not only in Korea but also in west

2 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Yea! Korean musicals use a lot of technology. Their special effects are on another level. 

The Korean musical scene is slowly getting more known to audiences around the world thanks to the technology used

I don't know much about stage production technology, but I have noticed that Korean performing artists (or, at least, performing artists of Korean descent) have become more prominent in general - in film/television and contemporary genres of music, obviously, but also in fields like musical theatre and classical music.

So, for example, I remember watching the filmed production of Miss Saigon several years ago (so, not a movie based on a musical, but an actual professionally filmed live performance), and one of the key supporting characters was actually played by a Korean musical theatre actor, Hong Kwang Ho. As for classical music, there are certain names I see coming up a lot: Cho Seong Jin (piano), Son Yeol Eum (piano), Lim Dong Hyek (piano), Lim Dong Min (piano - yes, before you ask, he and Lim Dong Hyek are brothers), Chung Myung Whun (piano + conducting), Clara Jumi Kang (violin - born in Germany to Korean parents), Kim Bomsori (violin), etc. There are many others as well, for other instruments, but this is just a sampling of names that I've come across just by streaming classical music on YouTube.

1 hour ago, Nella2019 said:

That seems to be a thing with KDramas. I watched one where the actors current age was at least in their early 60's and yet with a flashback to their youth, all that was done was to give them a hairstyle from that decade. It looked hilarious.

They do sometimes cast younger actors - but yeah, generally speaking, as long as the character is an adult (or close to being an adult) in the flashback, they just keep with the same actors. :P 

New Alice stills

More shots of the "Alice" hotel/office/centre set - Am I the only one who's seriously confused what that building's supposed to be used for now? Like, officially, it's a hotel, but it serves so many other functions as well.

Behind-the-scenes from JW's recent photo shoot

The shoes JW wore on MBC's Radio Star

• Like 3

Okay, so Alice will be starting up again soon (yay!), but I still want to do one last quick interactive before then. Today, it's a quick and cute/fluffy fall-themed round of Scattergories!

Again - no right or wrong answers. Just use your imagination!

Spoiler

Scattergories: Fall Edition

For each of the prompts, name the JW drama lead character that first comes to mind. As always, repeats are allowed, and - again, as always - pay attention to whether the prompt is for a guy, a girl, or a couple.

Note: for Alice, you can use both Yoon Tae Yi and Kim Do Yeon as the girl, and either one in combination with Park Jin Gyeom as a couple - since they both play super-important roles in Park Jin Gyeom's life (and it's still unknown if there will be a loveline at all).

1. The JW drama girl most likely to become obsessed with pumpkin spice lattes 

2. The JW drama guy most likely to skip/miss his family's Chuseok celebrations (you decide the reason why)

3. The JW drama couple most likely to go on a hike to admire the colourful fall foliage

4. The JW drama couple who starts off wanting to rake up the fallen leaves...but just end up having a play fight instead

5. The JW drama couple most likely to prefer spending the evenings at home on the couch rather than going out (hot chocolate optional)

6. The JW drama couple with the best fall fashion

7. The JW drama girl who'd have the best costume for Halloween

8. The JW drama guy most likely to suggest apple picking as an idea for a date

9. The JW drama couple most likely to spend Halloween with a horror movie marathon, with one person getting scared (you decide who - as well as how their partner reacts)

• Like 2

Okay, I haven't watched all of Episode 11 of Alice yet (just the little snippets released by SBS on YouTube), but given that, all I want to say is kudos to the writers for the massive weeks-long red herring they managed to pull off! (I won't spoil it here for those who haven't seen it yet - if you know it, you know it :P)

But what I'm actually here for is my answers to the Scattergories I posted yesterday - you guys are still welcome to jump in with your responses at any time; I'm just already ready with mine :) 

1. The JW drama girl most likely to become obsessed with pumpkin spice lattes 

This one was a toss-up between Seol Nae Il and Baek Ja Eun for me - because both of them love sweet things - so, officially, I'm gonna go with Baek Ja Eun, because I can totally imagine her trying to nag Hwang Tae Hui into buying one for her.

2. The JW drama guy most likely to skip/miss his family's Chuseok celebrations (you decide the reason why)

Not counting those who don't really have much of a family to celebrate with, I want to go with Lee Kang To here. We know how estranged he is from his family, and I can also see skipping out on Chuseok as part of a broader attempt to suppress or downplay his own Korean heritage.

3. The JW drama couple most likely to go on a hike to admire the colourful fall foliage

Mostly because we already see them hiking once in a random PPL shoe-in for Mountia in the original drama, I'm gonna say Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il here. In my defence, though, I can see them genuinely liking that experience, but that hiking scene in the drama's finale...yeah, it was just random :P 

4. The JW drama couple who starts off wanting to rake up the fallen leaves...but just end up having a play fight instead

There are a ton of different possibilities here, with (in my head anyway) the main requirement being that one person is more serious/task-driven and the other is more playful/mischievous. So...just for variety, I'm going to say Han Gil Ro (the mischievous one) and Kim Seo Won (the slightly more serious one who can never resist his antics).

5. The JW drama couple most likely to prefer spending the evenings at home on the couch rather than going out (hot chocolate optional)

I know I already show Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il doing this sort of thing a lot in Seolleim in Salzburg, so you know what? Let's just go with that :P 

6. The JW drama couple with the best fall fashion

This one's hard, because there are so many JW drama characters whose styles I like on an individual level that I can't really narrow my choices down to one pair. I think, for this one, I'm gonna say Hwang Tae Hui and Baek Ja Eun, because I remember all the warm, cozy outfits (especially accessories) Ja Eun had, and I definitely had a thing for Tae Hui's fall weather coats ;) 

7. The JW drama girl who'd have the best costume for Halloween

I'm gonna say Cha Yoon Seo here, simply because I think she - and the rest of the pediatric ward staff - will want to go all out for the sake of the kids. :) Of course, I imagine she'd go for a cute or fun costume rather than a scary one under the circumstances (think what everyone did for the Peter Pan skit, for instance).

8. The JW drama guy most likely to suggest apple picking as an idea for a date

And, complimenting my answer from above, I'm going to say Park Si On here. I dunno - I just see this as something he might enjoy. *shrugs*

9. The JW drama couple most likely to spend Halloween with a horror movie marathon, with one person getting scared (you decide who - as well as how their partner reacts)

You might have seen this answer coming from a mile away - Park Jin Gyeom and Kim Do Yeon. For me, I imagine that the whole movie marathon would be Do Yeon's idea (because she does seem to be the sort who'd enjoy the adrenaline rush), but that she'd also be the one who gets scared...except that Jin Gyeom then completely drops the ball by not responding accordingly (instead just being completely unfazed). :lol:

• Like 2
18 hours ago, kittyna said:

Okay, I haven't watched all of Episode 11 of Alice yet (just the little snippets released by SBS on YouTube), but given that, all I want to say is kudos to the writers for the massive weeks-long red herring they managed to pull off! (I won't spoil it here for those who haven't seen it yet - if you know it, you know it :P)

Coming to episode 11 review. It has lot of twist and turners which made the show ten times better. And I can finally see YT(2020) finally acting like a responsible mom by doing her own investigation and insisting him to download the tracking app on his phone. And MH, stepping up has dad scene was cool. Looks like both mom and dad are on a mission to save their son. It was touching scene to watch Detective Ko sacrificing himself for sake of PJG. The way the teacher revealed himself was subtle and shocking at the same time, since professor Seok Won did a good job not only gaining trust of PJG but also viewers trust. Overall, I have no complaints about the episodes other than being short.

P.S- And that fishing scene was hilarious, says a lot about relationship between Detective Ko and PJG and how deep their relationship and how much they trust each other

Now coming to Scattergories, My apologies for late reply and I may not be a able to give good reason for my choices, so do feel free to point it out in order for me to elaborate my reason behind the choices

1. The JW drama girl most likely to become obsessed with pumpkin spice lattes 

The food preferences of Joo won's female lead are not clearly defined except for few characters. So, I would like to choose Nae Il.

2. The JW drama guy most likely to skip/miss his family's Chuseok celebrations

Cha Yoo Jin, because he looks like a guy who is more linked towards western thing and for this ceremony it feels like it requires the mom and dad to stay together.

3. The JW drama couple most likely to go on a hike to admire the colourful fall foliage

Kim Seo-Won and Han Gil Ro, since they jobs require for them to stay apart for long time, I think they will go on lot of hiking to make up for the time loss due to their jobs

4. The JW drama couple who starts off wanting to rake up the fallen leaves...but just end up having a play fight instead

I don't know why did you choose this scenario? Is it because this type of scene is in Joo won's drama? I will go with Cha Yoo Jin and Nae Il, I think Nae Il would be the one to start the fight and Cha Yoo Jin will continue it unknowingly and will enjoy it

5. The JW drama couple most likely to prefer spending the evenings at home on the couch rather than going out (hot chocolate optional)

Park Si-On, Maybe he will have tea with Cha Yoon Seo rather than Hot Chocolate

6. The JW drama couple with the best fall fashion

Cha Yoo Jin and Nae Il, since their profession demands them to have best fashion

7. The JW drama girl who'd have the best costume for Halloween

Han Yeo-Jin, I know she is really not that kind of a person to these things, but she will do it for the sake of kids at orphanage and will spare no expense to get best costume for the Halloween, I think she might go for Ice witch from Narnia

8. The JW drama guy most likely to suggest apple picking as an idea for a date

I will go with Kim Tae Hyun, so that he can get quality time with Han Yeo-Jin

9. The JW drama couple most likely to spend Halloween with a horror movie marathon, with one person getting scared (you decide who - as well as how their partner reacts)

Lol! PJG and KDY are like couple without any fear, so it does makes sense for them to watch horror movie. But I would like to add YT(2020) to this couple, since it is really difficult for anything to happen in PJG without YT and KDY

Like mother, like son

I think it is because of the amazing chemistry between them which made us look them as a couple:blush:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And I can finally see YT(2020) finally acting like a responsible mom by doing her own investigation and insisting him to download the tracking app on his phone.

I haven't watched the full episode yet, but I was definitely glad to see this little snippet on YouTube :) 

It was touching scene to watch Detective Ko sacrificing himself for sake of PJG. The way the teacher revealed himself was subtle and shocking at the same time, since professor Seok Won did a good job not only gaining trust of PJG but also viewers trust.

This is why I said I wanted to give kudos to the writers. They managed to make Seok Oh Won look suspicious in Episode 4, then have him show up as the good guy in Episodes 5 and 6 - classic red herring scenario. And then, in Episodes 7 through 10, it looks like Seok Oh Won is in the clear and that Go Hyung Seok is at least one of the baddies (not the "Teacher" in any stretch, but still part of "Sigma") - and then, boom! Here we are in Episode 11, and it turns out the "truth" clarifying the first red herring is actually a second red herring that loops all the way back around to Episode 4.

(Long story short: Park Jin Gyeom should just trust his gut from now on. Except when it's concerning his dad - boy seriously needs some help in that regard :P)

I'll comment more on the actual scene(s) between Go Hyung Seok and Park Jin Gyeom when I've watched the full episode with subs and can actually understand everything that's going on. For now, I'll just say that from what I've managed to understand of it so far, it's a really touching moment between them - and I'm also sure that Go Hyung Seok's really seriously kicking himself right now.

And MH, stepping up has dad scene was cool. Looks like both mom and dad are on a mission to save their son.

I think there are some Yoo Min Hyuk moments I've missed, then. I'll have to keep an eye out for them when I get around to watching the full episode ;) 

In the meantime, though: Father-Son Reunion, meme-ified :lol:

Like mother, like son

:loolz: Oh, wow - Kim Hee Sun's killing it with the comic posts this time. If anyone finds out JW's reaction, please share! ;) 

Some more cute stills

Cutie Park Jin Gyeom - Dang, I thought he looked like a sad puppy at times, but this just takes "puppy" to a whole other level!

Some nice fanart

I don't know why did you choose this scenario? Is it because this type of scene is in Joo won's drama? I will go with Cha Yoo Jin and Nae Il, I think Nae Il would be the one to start the fight and Cha Yoo Jin will continue it unknowingly and will enjoy it

Did it show up in a drama? I don't remember - all I know is that leaf-raking cuteness is a common family/rom-com drama trope where I'm from :D 

Cha Yoo Jin and Nae Il, since their profession demands them to have best fashion

I did think of them as well - actually, I was sitting on the fence between them and my actual answer. :) 

Han Yeo-Jin, I know she is really not that kind of a person to these things, but she will do it for the sake of kids at orphanage and will spare no expense to get best costume for the Halloween, I think she might go for Ice witch from Narnia

Haven't thought of that before, but I really like that idea :approves:

Lol! PJG and KDY are like couple without any fear, so it does makes sense for them to watch horror movie. But I would like to add YT(2020) to this couple, since it is really difficult for anything to happen in PJG without YT and KDY

So...three-person movie night? Especially with these three? That's great! I'll just be back here, watching all the shenanigans unfold, then - because with Kim Do Yeon and Yoon Tae Yi in the same room together, you know there will be shenanigans :eats2:

• Like 3

Okay, so you know that I've said before that I want to see JW playing a villainous role again. At least once. Yeah, um, I kinda forgot just what sort of nightmare fuel "evil" JW actually ends up looking like :sweat_smile:

Spoiler

This is the Episode 13 preview, for those who haven't seen it yet ;) 

Yeah, imagine scrolling on YouTube without any idea what happens in Episode 12 of Alice and stumbling across that thumbnail in your recommendations with, like, no context whatsoever. It's like, "Thanks - I didn't need to sleep tonight." :cold_sweat:

[EDIT]

Spoiler

Of course, I'm aware that most likely, this isn't Park Jin Gyeom - that wouldn't make any sense given what we've seen of his character so far. But even if it's a doppelganger, a parallel version (because if there are two Tae Yis, then why not two Jin Gyeoms?), or someone from "Alice" or "Sigma" impersonating Jin Gyeom for nefarious purposes (e.g. using a variation on the shape-shifting device we've seen that could make a time traveler look older or younger)...that's still JW acting here, and that's arguably the creepiest look I've seen from him to date.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, imagine scrolling on YouTube without any idea what happens in Episode 12 of Alice and stumbling across that thumbnail in your recommendations with, like, no context whatsoever. It's like, "Thanks - I didn't need to sleep tonight.

Well at least we know that he still got it when comes to playing villain roles. And to be hones I was not expecting this twist either. Like, I was under the impression that there can never be an evil PJG and PYS was able to tame him in all the version, but I guess she failed in one the universe. It makes the plot interesting and tricky to explain at the same time. Since the drama as only left with 4 episodes, I don't know how are the writers are going to explain the evil PJG phenomena :cold_sweat:

• Like 3

Well at least we know that he still got it when comes to playing villain roles. And to be hones I was not expecting this twist either. Like, I was under the impression that there can never be an evil PJG and PYS was able to tame him in all the version, but I guess she failed in one the universe.

So...an evil parallel universe doppelganger who somehow represents what Park Jin Gyeom could have become without his mother's early intervention? That sounds plausible - I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) 

Cast photo shared by Lee Da In

And here's the music video for the newest OST track:

By the way, with all the songs featuring guys with high voices, am I the only one who hopes that JW will cover at least one of them in a future greeting for fans?

[EDIT] - Sorry; missed this earlier.

Well at least we know that he still got it when comes to playing villain roles

I think the last time for me was Gaksital - and even then, Lee Kang To never looked so...demonic as Evil!Jin Gyeom does. Like, Kang To was scary at times, but in a way that still felt human or like there was a conscience in there. This version of Jin Gyeom, though, takes it to a whole other level.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, kittyna said:

I think the last time for me was Gaksital - and even then, Lee Kang To never looked so...demonic as Evil!Jin Gyeom does. Like, Kang To was scary at times, but in a way that still felt human or like there was a conscience in there. This version of Jin Gyeom, though, takes it to a whole other level.

Yeah, he does look creepy as hell with that red dots on his face, initially I thought it was blood spatters on his face. And also, I am waiting for the writers to explain this sudden change of PJG behavior in different dimension, I mean what might have lead PJG from the dimension to become so dark in character

And in the teaser we can also see KDY is lying unconscious, maybe evil PJG did something to her, hope that dimension KDY is okay :cold_sweat:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also, I am waiting for the writers to explain this sudden change of PJG behavior in different dimension, I mean what might have lead PJG from the dimension to become so dark in character

I think I'll understand more after actually watching the two episodes, but from what I've seen so far from Instagram and whatnot, apparently this whole "evil doppelganger" business is an actual thing - i.e., it's not just Park Jin Gyeom who's got one and we're left guessing retroactively when we saw the "normal" or "evil" versions of different characters in various moments throughout the drama (Go Hyung Seok, Seok Oh Won, etc.)

Good thing both versions of Yoon Tae Yi seem to be squarely on the good side, though, or else I'll really get confused.

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And in the teaser we can also see KDY is lying unconscious, maybe evil PJG did something to her, hope that dimension KDY is okay

Actually, the part that freaks me out about the Episode 13 teaser - besides wondering when and how the hell "normal" Jin Gyeom and "evil" Jin Gyeom end up meeting each other - is that we see "normal" Jin Gyeom developing the same rash? Maybe? And we also see the teenage "normal"(?) Jin Gyeom with those same disturbing symptoms that we've seen from the adult version - the headache, ringing in the ears, etc - and the teaser seems to be implying that those are linked to "evil" Jin Gyeom in some way.

Spoiler

Which brings me to one theory I stumbled across on Instagram re: teenage Jin Gyeom - that the classmate who committed suicide was actually pushed off the roof...by his evil doppelganger. It doesn't make sense to me - insofar as that doesn't match the neighbour's eyewitness testimony or Jin Gyeom's own memory of the incident - but the argument is that Do Yeon must have seen something to be able to say that Jin Gyeom did it.

However, if that is the case, it does explain why Jin Gyeom shows the same symptoms after the girl falls off the roof that we see in the Episode 13 teaser - which was the main thing from the scenes in Episode 1 that I couldn't explain.

Wild and crazy speculation here: What if, while most people have an evil doppelganger from a parallel universe, Jin Gyeom is actually the two of them fused together into one body, by virtue of his being simultaneously from two different timelines? And what if his supernatural ability to control time is linked to that darker side trying to take over?

(I know that doesn't explain how Jin Gyeom comes to see his doppelganger yet, but this is the best way I could think of explain everything else about him so far.)

JW's Instagram update

And some backstage footage from Ghost - this shows what JW was referring to when he said the cast members would get hyped up prior to each performance :) I love that he also joins in when he's not the one playing (the time when he's just in a black T-shirt rather than in costume as Sam)...and was that him who messed up the call-in in the Oct. 9 version (getting the "We are!" right, but then getting tongue-tied on the next line)? :P I just saw that the mistake was from whoever was wearing the black baseball cap, but I wasn't sure if that was JW (if he was even there) or another cast member.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
6 hours ago, kittyna said:

I just gave up on theories and stopped reading fan theories as well. The story is not straight-forward like other time travel stories. Because the concept of Time control by a person is a relatively new concept for me. So, I think I will wait for the drama to unfold its own story rather than guessing the further plot.

And some backstage footage from Ghost - this shows what JW was referring to when he said the cast members would get hyped up prior to each performance :) I love that he also joins in when he's not the one playing (the time when he's just in a black T-shirt rather than in costume as Sam)...and was that him who messed up the call-in in the Oct. 9 version (getting the "We are!" right, but then getting tongue-tied on the next line)? :P I just saw that the mistake was from whoever was wearing the black baseball cap, but I wasn't sure if that was JW (if he was even there) or another cast member.

Wow! I really didn't understand whole slogan thing except the sentence "We are Ghost". And it was funny also, because not everyone is participating in it and few were just making noise or doing chorus. :P

apparently this whole "evil doppelganger

It's like "Train" drama concept, where hero as an evil version in another dimension. And also it was played by Yoon Shi-Yoon, I think it is just a coincidence that both of them choose to play drama with time travel and parallel universe concept.

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Good thing both versions of Yoon Tae Yi seem to be squarely on the good side, though, or else I'll really get confused.

I think it is because she is the part of original time traveler crew. Like, for people who are or were part of Alice have no other version of them in any other dimensions. Maybe it's because they do time travel with some set of rules and regulations, like, their time travel is registered unlike PJG's

• Like 2

So, @kireeti2, I have some new thoughts on this whole doppelganger business, because I've finally watched Episode 11, and am now here to share me take on it :) 

As always, I want to preface this by saying that my experience as a viewer is very different from most people's, because I tend to get around to watching the new episodes a few days after they've been broadcast - which means that the major contours of each episode don't really have the same shock/surprise factor for me. But that being said, here goes!

Spoiler

First of all, I take back my comment about everyone having an evil doppelganger - because I actually think Go Hyung Seok's doppelganger isn't all that bad. Seeing some of the stills, I was initially worried that he time-traveled to the past and killed off his past self (like Evil!Seok Oh Won does in Episode 12), but I'm relieved that that's not actually the case, and the "Sigma" Captain Go is revealed to be the same lovable ahjussi we've seen throughout the entire drama. :) 

So what to make of this whole killing business? I actually think he's in a similar dilemma as the 2050 version of Hong Eun Soo's mother from the beginning episodes of Alice: someone who started off with good intentions (reuniting with a deceased loved one), but who also can't resist the allure of the dark side in their quest to change the past for the better.

By the way, I see what you guys mean about the fishing scene, now - that was cute by itself, but also heartwrenching in its broader context.

Which actually brings me to a point I've been wanting to address since Episode 10: Park Jin Gyeom's reaction to the footage on the USB. I will say it's a small minority, but I have seen the occasional comment on Instagram and YouTube criticizing his choice not to use the evidence against Captain Go, citing that that's not something a responsible police officer nor a son determined to avenge his mother would do. While, technically, I understand that on an intellectual level, I came away from those comments thinking that those viewers must have never been betrayed before, especially by someone they strongly looked up to. And I consider them luckier for it. Speaking from experience, that sort of realization is, in a word, traumatizing, and you really do find yourself going around in circles mentally/emotionally: cycling between hoping it isn't true, feeling intense anger and hurt at the betrayal, and feeling intense guilt for having trusted that person in the first place. So I don't fault Jin Gyeom for his denial from that moment in Episode 10 up until finally learning the truth now - and I can totally understand (even if I can't relate to) his complete trust in Go Hyung Seok, such that even if Go Hyung Seok did intend to shoot him, Jin Gyeom would've stayed put simply "Because you're Ahjussi." And the fact that he could feel all that shows just how far he's come since his childhood diagnosis. :) 

(I do know that there's yet another twist in Episode 12, but seeing how Go Hyung Seok's method for ensuring Jin Gyeom's safety - i.e. literally chaining him to the sign post so that he'd effectively "disappear" from Seoul for a bit - is exactly what makes him a perfect sitting duck for Evil!Seok Oh Won...even knowing about it in advance, that realization on both Captain Go and Jin Gyeom's parts hurt to watch, let me tell you.)

So @kireeti2 already shared about Tae Yi's awesomeness in this episode, so I won't repeat it. But as for Yoo Min Hyuk...oof. The guy just can't win, and it's just heartbreaking to watch him being misunderstood by Tae Yi and Jin Gyeom over and over again. Again, I can't blame those two for their reactions - and neither does Min Hyuk - but it's still painful, knowing that he's really trying his best. But I will say, as someone who already knew about Gi Cheol Am being revealed as a villain in advance, it was so frustrating when Min Hyuk unknowingly leaked the most important piece of intel re: Park Jin Gyeom - that he can control time, and is thus the child in the prophecy. :headbang:

Okay, show - you seriously owe us the satisfaction of seeing Cheol Am getting his butt kicked, preferably by Min Hyuk. Or Jin Gyeom. Or both. Actually...both. Both is good. :evillaugh:

Speaking of Cheol Am, I'm actually not surprised at all that "Alice" and "Sigma" have actually been secretly working together all this time. It's sort of a futuristic time-travel-related take on the classic "corrupt corporation/government in an unholy alliance with the criminal underworld" trope that we see in just about every single thriller K-drama ever. :P And here, it actually makes total perfect sense, insofar as both are interested in stopping the end of time travel for their respective reasons. But I definitely am starting to get the sense that this is Min Hyuk, Tae Yi, and Jin Gyeom against the (time-traveling) world - so I do hope they catch a good break soon.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

But as for Yoo Min Hyuk...oof. The guy just can't win,

Yeah, right now he is the one with no allies, and in future we can expect him to team up with TY and PJG.

I'm actually not surprised at all that "Alice" and "Sigma" have actually been secretly working together all this time. It's sort of a futuristic time-travel-related take on the classic "corrupt corporation/government in an unholy alliance with the criminal underworld" trope that we see in just about every single thriller K-drama ever.

Yeah, we can draw parallel to those kind of story line where few from an legitimate organization colludes with people who operate outside the system in order to gain control of that organization

Which actually brings me to a point I've been wanting to address since Episode 10: Park Jin Gyeom's reaction to the footage on the USB.

In the end PJG was right Detective Ko did not kill that time traveler. So, technically Detective Ko did not betrayed PJG.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Wow! I really didn't understand whole slogan thing except the sentence "We are Ghost". And it was funny also, because not everyone is participating in it and few were just making noise or doing chorus.

It appears to be a call and response: one person (or a small group of people) start a phrase and the whole cast joins in to finish it. :) 

It's like "Train" drama concept, where hero as an evil version in another dimension. And also it was played by Yoon Shi-Yoon, I think it is just a coincidence that both of them choose to play drama with time travel and parallel universe concept.

Parallel universe dramas seem to be a trend right now, since there's TrainThe King: Eternal MonarchAlice, etc. - and that's not even counting the older but still related trend for reincarnation stories (e.g. Black Knight, Legend of the Blue Sea, Chicago Typewriter, etc.). I do think, though, that what makes Alice stand out is that rather than a supernatural cause, everything that happens is due to plausible developments in science and technology.

I think it is because she is the part of original time traveler crew. Like, for people who are or were part of Alice have no other version of them in any other dimensions. Maybe it's because they do time travel with some set of rules and regulations, like, their time travel is registered unlike PJG's

One thing I do like about Alice is that it doesn't try to present advanced technologies (like time travel) as inherently good or bad - but only as good or bad as the people who use them. So, if we have people who use it for good or in adherence to strict moral codes and standards (2050 Tae Yi, Yoo Min Hyuk, etc.), it's okay and can even be useful.

But good people are almost always outpaced and outsmarted by those people with ulterior motives who want to abuse the technology for their own personal ends or who use it without any care for others. So by this point in the drama, even if those who stick to the rules aren't swayed themselves, time travel as a whole concept has become twisted and corrupted into something monstrous - a realization that 2050 Tae Yi possibly made all the way back in 1992 (or at least in 2010), that Jin Gyeom and 2020 Tae Yi made earlier in the drama, and that Min Hyuk's starting to make now.

And it's starting to look increasingly likely that the only way this family could fix the problem is to take down "Alice" altogether - but in the process, they'll most likely have to sacrifice themselves (since in the Episode 13 preview, it sound like destroying time travel will mean that time travelers themselves cease to exist).

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

In the end PJG was right Detective Ko did not kill that time traveler. So, technically Detective Ko did not betrayed PJG.

The betrayal would have been if Go Hyung Seok killed Park Sun Young - not Lee Se Hoon - but I get your point.

Actually, I doubted all along that he was the one who killed Park Sun Young - again, because what we see in the flashbacks doesn't line up with what actually happened (i.e. that she was killed with a gun from "Alice" and Captain Go clearly doesn't have one). But that makes me wonder: if Captain Go didn't actually kill her, then how did he escape punishment from "Sigma" all this time? It doesn't look like the sort of organization who'd turn a blind eye to disobedience simply because the end goal was still ultimately achieved, so...what happened?

And...let's get to some more lighthearted goodies, shall we?

Funny clip of Kwak Si Yang's appearance on Running Man last spring - I know it's supposed to be a play on the classic police interrogation scene, but I lost it imagining KSY's performance here as Min Hyuk's "Dad" mode.

Cute pics from mini-Tae Yi's Instagram (Part 1)

Cute pics from mini-Tae Yi's Instagram (Part 2) - Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing these two cuties together :) 

Teenage Do Yeon behind the scenes (From Lee Da In's Instagram)

Finally, JW did this video for THEATRE plus - I can't understand what they're saying, but it sounds like he's being quizzed on theatre-related slang or jargon.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see him do a Korean version of this video someday (featuring American musical theatre actor, Lin-Manuel Miranda).

• Like 2

And here I am with my thoughts on Episode 12 of Alice!

Spoiler

Okay, so the actual shock value was lost a bit on me because I knew about it already from posts online, but damn...that last shot of Evil!Jin Gyeom must have been one hell of a jump scare for those who weren't expecting it. It's like, the meeting between Park Sun Young and 2020-Tae Yi gets the slow-mo and the freeze frame, so you think that's the end, but no! We suddenly get this sneak preview of the creepiest JW we've ever seen, just completely out of nowhere. :naughty:

Well played, show - well played. I think you might have actually beaten Episode 8's ending with this one.

Now that that's taken care of, I want to say that, sad as it was, I really like how the narrative arc concerning Jin Gyeom's relationship with Go Hyung Seok wrapped up. I knew in advance that Jin Gyeom was going to make it (obviously) and that Captain Go died saving him, but I had no idea how the events would actually play out. For me, my favourite parts were actually the aftermath, as we see all the different characters grieving in their own respective ways - and I really appreciated that Tae Yi recognized Jin Gyeom's reaction as his form of grieving (unlike, interestingly, Kim Do Yeon), but still pushed him to actually face his feelings rather than suppressing them.

On a random side note: good thing that Evil!Seok Oh Won, for all his smarts, still made the classic villain mistake of bragging about his plan/perspective/etc. to his victims instead of just going straight for the kill. Otherwise, Captain Go would never have made it there in time...and we would have wound up with Jin Gyeom getting shot in the face. (The face, man - not even the forehead. Evil!Seok Oh Won is a freaking sadist, that's what he is.)

Actually, for me, the biggest takeaway from this episode is Tae Yi's character development. Everything's clicking together for her so abruptly after years of relatively blissful ignorance...no wonder the girl's reeling. I think it'll be some time before she really fully wraps her mind around all these re-emerging memories and what they mean for her relationships with people like Park Jin Gyeom. On the one hand, a time traveler (Lee Se Hoon) killed her father and nearly killed her. But on the other hand, she was also rescued by time travelers (Yoo Min Hyuk and 2050-Tae Yi) - one of whom is Jin Gyeom's mother, who was killed in turn by time travelers for whom Jin Gyeom is most likely the next target (and he seems to think so as well). So I can see why she's thankful on the one hand, but also unsure how to face Jin Gyeom right now, especially since she doesn't fully understand that he does see her and his mother as two different people. You'd think she would have realized it by now, but then again, she's never had to think about this question before either, so it's no wonder Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk are both ahead of her on this particular learning curve.

Speaking of learning curves, I also want to give a quick shout-out to Yoo Min Hyuk's as well. He's still got a long way to go in terms of 1) gaining Jin Gyeom's trust, and 2) learning the truth about 2050-Tae Yi's murder. However, he's definitely making a good deal of progress now, as evidenced by the fact that Park Jin Gyeom actually responded to his phone call and by the fact that he's now starting to go a bit rogue re: "Alice". Quite a change from the stoic agent we saw in the earlier episodes, as it's now finally starting to dawn on him just how much time travel has veered off course from his original well-intentioned vision, and how even actions that were good in and of themselves could have devastating effects on innocent people in the past (e.g. mini Tae Yi).

One last note about the 2050 doppelgangers - so far, we've seen them consistently beating out their past versions, whether just by chance (Go Hyung Seok) or deliberately (Seok Oh Won). Which makes me wonder whether the key to Park Jin Gyeom stopping time travel - which he now actually seems actively interested in doing - will rest on his defeating his own doppelganger. I don't know; it's just a thought.

• Like 2

Yoo Min Hyuk's as well. He's still got a long way to go in terms of

I think that long way is due to his under utilization of his character. Like, they are only using to just fill the gaps in the scenes and I think there is much more scope for character utilization and further character development. And I also think Kim Do Yeon is also under utilized, she could have been much more than just for comic relief and crying. I think she can be instrumental in further of plot and increase the pace of the drama. After episode 9, I am sort of feeling like the plot has slowed down and writers are dragging the revelations for too long.

I really appreciated that Tae Yi recognized Jin Gyeom's reaction as his form of grieving

I like this part of their relationship development, she seems to understand him more than anyone else around him

unlike, interestingly, Kim Do Yeon

That's because she is not getting enough screen time and also she was sort of busy in taking of Detective Ko's wife, since she has no one in her life.

Overall, I do agree that this episode was better than previous one. But, the writers have not fully utilized the characters around the main characters. They sort of totally relied on main characters to unfold the plot. I think TY(2020) could have enlisted DY to help her in order to solve the mystery around her parents and MY could have dug deeper instead of asking his superior who is obviously lying to him. Had the writers have used at least the characters around main characters, the plot could have picked up the pace :(

• Like 2

That's because she is not getting enough screen time and also she was sort of busy in taking of Detective Ko's wife, since she has no one in her life.

I was actually thinking about the bit at the crime scene when Do Yeon yells at Jin Gyeom for not answering her questions. On the one hand, I understand that she's completely panicking and is probably not aware of everything she's saying, but on the other hand, underneath "Why don't you say something?", there is sometimes "Don't you even care?". In Do Yeon's defence, I know she didn't mean her comments that way, but it still hurt to watch that moment, knowing what Jin Gyeom was actually thinking.

As for Do Yeon's behaviour at the funeral itself, I personally loved that. As you pointed out, Mrs. Go needed someone with her at that moment, and I'm glad that Do Yeon stepped in despite simply being a family friend :) It actually feeds back to the whole idea that different people grieve in different ways. Both Jin Gyeom and Do Yeon are people of action; when bad things happen, they cope best by jumping in to actually do something. And in hindsight, now that I think about it a second time, I think that even if Do Yeon can't entirely relate to Jin Gyeom's response, she does understand that immediately shifting focus to trying to arrest Evil!Seok Oh Won is what works best for him as both an eyewitness and as Captain Go's hoobae in the police force. Thus, her response is to fill in his gaps by being there with Mrs. Go when he couldn't.

And I also think Kim Do Yeon is also under utilized, she could have been much more than just for comic relief and crying. I think she can be instrumental in further of plot and increase the pace of the drama.

I think TY(2020) could have enlisted DY to help her in order to solve the mystery around her parents and MY could have dug deeper instead of asking his superior who is obviously lying to him.

As Alice progresses, I'm starting to think that even though Kim Do Yeon was billed as the second female lead, the drama actually has a three-lead (two male, one female) structure.

However, I do think her being sidelined in the drama makes logical sense, because I get the sense that Jin Gyeom has been actively sidelining her ever since he started investigating these time travel-related cases. Partially, it's to protect her - because he's now aware that anyone with connections to him or his mother is in danger - but even before then, I think it's because he's determined to figure this out on his own: he's sort of taken avenging his mother's death as his own personal vendetta, and anyone he brings into the investigation (Dong Ho, Tae Yi, Do Yeon, etc.) he does so on a "need to know" basis. And unfortunately, as of right now, there isn't much that is unique that Do Yeon could bring to the table just yet: there's not a whole ton Jin Gyeom would need Do Yeon to look up for him as a journalist that he couldn't just do himself - and if he could do it himself, he would. That's just how he is.

As for whether Do Yeon could help with looking into Tae Yi's past, I think she could, but at the same time, Tae Yi has no reason to ask her to. Despite both of them being key players in Jin Gyeom's life right now, Tae Yi and Do Yeon don't know each other very well, with the only advantage that Tae Yi is willing to acknowledge that Do Yeon has over her being that she's known Jin Gyeom longer (hence why Tae Yi seeks out Do Yeon to ask about Jin Gyeom's background whenever he's not talking).

Mind you, Do Yeon's not taking any of this sitting down, and I suspect her finally seeing Jin Gyeom's case notes will give her the foothold that she needs to actually convince Jin Gyeom and Tae Yi to let her join in.

I think that long way is due to his under utilization of his character. Like, they are only using to just fill the gaps in the scenes and I think there is much more scope for character utilization and further character development.

Up until this point, Yoo Min Hyuk's been playing a more reactive than proactive role. In his defence, I do feel that his hands are tied as far as digging deeper into "Alice" or Park Jin Gyeom or 2020-Yoon Tae Yi are concerned: if we go with the idea that "Alice" is an analogy for the typical "big bad conglomerate" in K-dramas, then what we see of Min Hyuk's authority as a team leader is really just an empty shell, where he has the power to delegate tasks to others, but doesn't have enough to actually call any shots. And Gi Cheol Am does keep a really tight grip on the strings here, as he not only demands that his subordinates be accountable to him on just about everything, but he also secretly spies on them as well.

But even though Min Hyuk hasn't picked up on the fact that Cheol Am is shady yet, his realization now that the problems with time travel are systemic rather than just the fault of a few bad apples ("Sigma", Yang Hong Seob, etc.) might spur him into greater action. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

aaahh...I missed a lot.. :sweatingbullets: I was just feeling lazy to write.. coming here, reading and not commenting is just impossible..so I kind of avoided coming here.:headbang:

And I loved ep 11-12 a lot...Still hung up on Jin Gyeom-Ajusshi story..Alice team did it with almost perfection. It's beautifully heart wrenching. :heart:

On 10/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, kittyna said:

Which actually brings me to a point I've been wanting to address since Episode 10: Park Jin Gyeom's reaction to the footage on the USB. I will say it's a small minority, but I have seen the occasional comment on Instagram and YouTube criticizing his choice not to use the evidence against Captain Go, citing that that's not something a responsible police officer nor a son determined to avenge his mother would do. While, technically, I understand that on an intellectual level, I came away from those comments thinking that those viewers must have never been betrayed before, especially by someone they strongly looked up to. And I consider them luckier for it. Speaking from experience, that sort of realization is, in a word, traumatizing, and you really do find yourself going around in circles mentally/emotionally: cycling between hoping it isn't true, feeling intense anger and hurt at the betrayal, and feeling intense guilt for having trusted that person in the first place. So I don't fault Jin Gyeom for his denial from that moment in Episode 10 up until finally learning the truth now - and I can totally understand (even if I can't relate to) his complete trust in Go Hyung Seok, such that even if Go Hyung Seok did intend to shoot him, Jin Gyeom would've stayed put simply "Because you're Ahjussi." And the fact that he could feel all that shows just how far he's come since his childhood diagnosis. :) 

I have similar sentiment.. In fact while I was watching angry comments I was like I would like JG to ignore everything and believe in Ajusshi. Because that would show his emotional growth since his mother left him. Also I could see no matter how suspicious Ajusshi was he seemed so conflicted, tired, indecisive.. And throughout whole time his care for JG seemed so genuine. It would have been really unreal and OOC if they showed that Ajusshi was using JG the whole  time..  

Anyone noticed this? This was Ajusssi's caller ID for Jin Gyeom. :heartbreak: 

EkEwUW0VgAASRTi?format=jpg&name=small

When JG was accused of murder in high school he thought it was okay that people was accusing him becuse the situation was against it, all the proofs are against him.. So when his mom said that she'd only believe him and asked him if he did it he told her " What difference does it make if you trust me?" and his mom replied "To me that's most important-- because you're my son." Before this JG may never have the idea that belief and opinions can be objective depending of relationship.

And this time after all this years JG himself experienced it--- He thought of believing in Ajusshi because of he trusted their bond. Must be a proud moment for Omma Tae Yi. :approves:

Honestly I loved it how he argued with himself internally and externally with others for Ajusshi. He said to tae Yi--

EkEwuxvVgAISygs?format=jpg&name=small

He also told Min Hyuk...

Spoiler

And yes I feel heartbroken for Min Hyuk too..He had to listen to this when all he may be wanted to say is that I AM YOU FATHER.. But I think this a tribute to Ajusshi.. This scene shows very well that how much Jin Gyeom values Ajusshi. He didn't argue with Min Hyuk that ''you're wrong, I am not suspecting him, there must be something else." Because he knew others wouldn't understand it. So he ends up saying the gist ''He's like my father so back off."

And yes I feel heartbroken for Min Hyuk too..He had to listen to this when all he may be wanted to say is that I AM YOUR FATHER.. But I think this a tribute to Ajusshi.. This scene shows very well that how much Jin Gyeom values Ajusshi. He didn't argue with Min Hyuk that ''you're wrong, I am not suspecting him, there must be something else." Because he knew others wouldn't understand it. So he ends up saying the gist ''He's like my father so back off." Oh Min Hyukie..

And finally...finally Mr. Ko got to share his story with the one who needed to hear it most.. also he gets to hear what he always wanted to hear from Jin Gyeom “Father.” But we know Jin Gyeom has treated him like a father for a long time. He has directly and indirectly tried to express it to him many times. The way he says that-------------- “I too was…very happy, Father.” 

Ajusshi leaving his wife alone..he must've felt very sad-- but he focused one more important things.. things he was happy about... meeting with her again and meeting JG. I hope he was less sad leaving when he got to hear those treasured words from JG.

Jin Gyeom has given father status to Ajusshi directly and indirectly many times.. So it wasn't that impossible to beleive that he would totally try to understand Ajusshi. Honestly I was very taken with Ajusshi since I saw this particular scene..

EkMjaS8U4AA5pQ_?format=jpg&name=large

Here, Ajusshi said to him that it may not have been a good idea to let Jin Gyeom live alone. JG said that he didn’t wanted to live Ajusshi’s house.. which means that he was very at home in their place.. Enough that he didn’t want his own place like young people or adopted people would usually like to do. This coming from a blunt person like JG spoke volume to me.

I have written the same in Alice thread too. I am just so taken with this father-son relationship that helped both of them heal.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, kittyna said:

And here, it actually makes total perfect sense, insofar as both are interested in stopping the end of time travel for their respective reasons. But I definitely am starting to get the sense that this is Min Hyuk, Tae Yi, and Jin Gyeom against the (time-traveling) world - so I do hope they catch a good break soon.

Agreed..I see a chance of them have a good understanding when this time comes.

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

Speaking of learning curves, I also want to give a quick shout-out to Yoo Min Hyuk's as well. He's still got a long way to go in terms of 1) gaining Jin Gyeom's trust, and 2) learning the truth about 2050-Tae Yi's murder. However, he's definitely making a good deal of progress now, as evidenced by the fact that Park Jin Gyeom actually responded to his phone call and by the fact that he's now starting to go a bit rogue re: "Alice".

I had to laugh thinking about this.. JG probably received his call because MH's number isn't saved in his contact because it was their first phone call. :getmygrooveon:

Anyways Min Hyuk is having a hard time..all by himself getting misunderstood by people who are important to him..I think they'll team up soon because JG will need MH's help to win against this evil force. So far JG has stopped trying to hit him when he sees MH is what promising.. Also JG seems to be daring MH to confess his real identity.. Is it just me? Please tell me it's not just me...

And I am skeptic about the fact that evil JG is actually the killer of Omma.. That just doesn't feel very right. Also teaser are usually not what they look like.. But this evil JG definitely is a serious issue..we see rash on both JG. So I am very curious how they'll link up the stories.

Joo Won's acting is episode 11-12 was overwhelming for me. Not just him many of them actually showed awesome intensity. I think it's because the mystery is unfolding from one side, thickening in another side and cast did justice to those scenes. Many among those intense scenes I enjoyed a bit more because of their acting. Will have to write another post for expressing those.

• Like 4
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]