Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Does this mean joo won is done with Alice drama shooting ?:open_mouth: Or he is doing it simultaneously? Either way, I would like to point out that joo won such a workaholic. I wish I was like this:P

Considering this is JW, it could be either. Alice will start airing a few months from now, so shooting should wrap up soon if they want enough time for post-production editing and stuff (since it's a pre-produced drama rather than a live shoot one). But at the same time, JW has juggled multiple projects simultaneously before: I think his record is three, which he did both in 2013 (Good Doctor + Catch Me + 1N2D) and 2014 (Ghost + Fashion King + Joo Won's Life Log). Even so, if it isn't simultaneous, it's just like him to jump from one project to another without a break.

(Which is funny, since prior to his enlistment, he did say that he should take more time to rest between projects now - guess that went out the window :P)

But still, it's great to see what JW looks like in a new uniform - and with so many senior/veteran actors, too :) 

14 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I have just re-watched it, her cause of death was partly due to explosion(accident) which led to cardiac arrest and partly due to negligence of hospital. His  father had nothing to with it, but it does not absolve him for his mistakes:(

I know - which is why I wonder why Tae Hyun holds his father responsible (or, at least, is angry at his father for refusing to take responsibility). Like, is he thinking that his mother's stamina/health was negatively impacted by years of abuse, thus making it easier for her to succumb to her injuries? Or is he thinking that if his father could have just gotten his act together, his mother wouldn't have needed to go out and work in such a hazardous environment? Or (and this is the highly unlikely third option that I still think must have cropped up in his mind at least once) is he thinking that the story about the industrial site accident is a lie, period?

Like I said, "highly unlikely third option", but considering how common it is for victims of abuse or assault to try to explain away their injuries as accidental, it's also not impossible - and if Tae Hyun does suspect this at all, it's more an indication of how strongly biased he is against his father than it is a clue to the truth of the situation.

14 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

If the bride and groom managed to get to the wedding regardless of being opposite caste spectrum, the class won't matter. Here caste is dominant factor, class is just by-product and can easily be ignored if people on both sides agreed for wedding, but mind you, there is also hierarchy in caste spectrum, it would be easy for a girl to get married with guy who is from caste which is in top of the hierarchy, but it is impossible ,if not, dangerous for guy to the same thing, regardless his class, job status etc won't matter at all. With all these factors, I think Yong pal is a progressive drama, where the girl is not only a heiress but a with strong personality and like to take control of her own personal and professional life, not like the stereotypical K-drama,where female lead is totally at mercy of her father or brother or have to wait for male lead to come and rescue her. In this case she makes the male lead to help her by offering him money, it is more like manipulating an underling, not like taking help from her boyfriend :)

Which is why I think the social dynamics here are would be so much fun to unpack. It's clear to Yeo Jin and Tae Hyun - and to those who know both of them well - that this is a love relationship, but I can see everyone else around them (e.g. Yeo Jin's business associates or former social circle; Tae Hyun's childhood friends and neighbours, etc.) being genuinely baffled by what's happening. Like, we'll never know for sure, but I can envision some of Yeo Jin's acquaintances thinking that Tae Hyun's just a gold-digger (and, given his 12th floor history, that is a fair criticism), or some of Tae Hyun's acquaintances thinking that Yeo Jin's just using/exploiting him (like how Lee Chae Young wanted him as a lover and literally referred to him as her "toy") or that he's looking down on his past community by "marrying up".

Again: Yeo Jin, Tae Hyun, and their close friends/family know the actual truth. And since neither Yeo Jin nor Tae Hyun are the sort of people who'd care what others thought of them, gossip's not going to change anything. But people can and will still talk, so I can expect this would make things at least somewhat more challenging than meets the eye. ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

2014 (Ghost + Fashion King + Joo Won's Life Log)

And also Naiel's Cantabile, we was doing like 4 projects at a time, and already signed up for Chinese movie "Sweet sixteen" by the end of these projects, we can see it in his life log, where he was trying to learn Mandarin. Funny part was, few fans commented that, "why he was doing so many projects at a time? Maybe to payback the loan sharks"(Hopefully, that was not the case):lol:

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

But people can and will still talk, so I can expect this would make things at least somewhat more challenging than meets the eye. ;) 

They would talk behind their backs, but once if they see how affectionate they were towards each other, they might change their opinion. Like the household maids and cook did. You can see in the episode where Tae Hyun and Yeo Jin were cooking together in the kitchen and how Tae Hyun took care of her. And also washed the utensils after the dinner, so that servants don't have to wash it in late night, they found his gestures genuine and sincere and next day made lot of food items for breakfast, even Yeo jin was shocked looking at food items. But still Tae Hyun might need some time to win over the friends and acquaintance of Yeo jin and top of that he is an excellent surgeon, so I think he would have no problem proving his worth and make his own identity rather than known as Yeo Jin's husband, not that he wouldn't have any problem with that :tongue:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kittyna said:

Which is funny, since prior to his enlistment, he did say that he should take more time to rest between projects now - guess that went out the window

I think I have another point of view, why he is doing project after project? Maybe people tend to forget celebrities when they are off-camera for too long, Once he named it has concern before enlistment, that "Being off-camera for 2 years can make fans forget about him". So, that's why he's on spree of making project after project:smiley:. Has fan it is a happy outcome, but it maybe have negative impact on his health. I know he does take good care of his health, but these days there are many unknown variables which might effect one's health, if they are workaholic like him :cold_sweat:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also Naiel's Cantabile, we was doing like 4 projects at a time, and already signed up for Chinese movie "Sweet sixteen" by the end of these projects, we can see it in his life log, where he was trying to learn Mandarin.

I think that by the time he started working on those, Fashion King had already wrapped filming - and Ghost was close to done as well. So that makes 3 or 4 as his record for the most projects going on simultaneously. However, I could be wrong; this is just based on what I remember from Life Log.

Funny part was, few fans commented that, "why he was doing so many projects at a time? Maybe to payback the loan sharks"(Hopefully, that was not the case):lol:

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think I have another point of view, why he is doing project after project? Maybe people tend to forget celebrities when they are off-camera for too long, Once he named it has concern before enlistment, that "Being off-camera for 2 years can make fans forget about him". So, that's why he's on spree of making project after project:smiley:.

Maybe not loan sharks, but he did mention during interviews back then that he was saving up for a house that he could live in with his entire family. I'm not sure how that turned out, but if it did, congrats to him :) 

However, this does remind me of the money-related questions he was asked on Healing Camp: how he would react if his parents spent a large sum of the money he earned, or if their attempts to invest it failed and they wound up in debt. Which does tell me how often things like that happen in Korea. But I remember how calm JW was when he answered; while that doesn't mean he would be so calm and collected in real life (since people tend to underestimate how upset they'd be in a crisis), it did show how he thought of his family as a team and the money he made as a shared entity.

Also, another really simple reason for working so much would be that acting/work seems to form a huge part of JW's personal identity. Like, he seems to get stir-crazy if he's not working (either filming or prepping for a project); even his break after his enlistment wasn't fully a break, since he spent it doing fan meetings and ads and whatnot.

Has fan it is a happy outcome, but it maybe have negative impact on his health. I know he does take good care of his health, but these days there are many unknown variables which might effect one's health, if they are workaholic like him :cold_sweat:

While being a workaholic does spare me a lot of anxiety re: JW getting into trouble, I'm with you in thinking that that can't be healthy in the long run. JW's known to be a huge caffeine addict and it appears that he smokes as well (or, if nothing else, that he doesn't mind people thinking he does) - both caffeine and nicotine are stimulants, so if he's doing both simultaneously...yeah, that's not safe in the long run. I remember Choi Kang Hee saying that she could call and chat with JW in the middle of the night if she wanted to because he's oftentimes pulling all-nighters - and drinking massive amounts of coffee in order to do so.

So while I don't have to worry (for the most part) about a future DUI, partying related scandal, etc. I do sometimes worry that JW's going to run himself ragged at this rate. So I am glad that he took some time to slow down immediately after his enlistment, but if he's just back up and at it again now.... :unsure:

Like the household maids and cook did. You can see in the episode where Tae Hyun and Yeo Jin were cooking together in the kitchen and how Tae Hyun took care of her. And also washed the utensils after the dinner, so that servants don't have to wash it in late night, they found his gestures genuine and sincere and next day made lot of food items for breakfast, even Yeo jin was shocked looking at food items.

Yeah, that part was just so cute - it makes me feel like that never happened often before in the Han household (like, do we know what it was like when Han Do Joon and Lee Chae Young were in charge?). Yeo Jin's heart was in the right place, but there were things she wouldn't have noticed since she'd grown up with servants and took them for granted, so having Tae Hyun around led to a positive shift in the dynamic overall.

But still Tae Hyun might need some time to win over the friends and acquaintance of Yeo jin and top of that he is an excellent surgeon, so I think he would have no problem proving his worth and make his own identity rather than known as Yeo Jin's husband, not that he wouldn't have any problem with that :tongue:

Oh, yeah - once people get to know them, they'd be fine. Or, if nothing else, no-one would dare say anything to their faces anymore.

• Like 2

So, I'd mentioned before that I wanted to try a second tournament-style poll. Looking back on the first one, though, I need to rethink how it's designed, since for the most part, it's just @kireeti2 and I responding, and there's a strong likelihood for ties like that.

That being said, I'm going to try it out like this - using a points system based on sporting tournaments like the World Cup. And if I do end up with ties preventing a clear line of elimination...I just might end up flipping a coin :P 

The topic for this poll? JW Drama Characters as Dads (yep, starting to churn out the Father's Day-related content now)

Spoiler

Which JW Drama Character would be the Best Dad? You Decide!

Rules/How This Works

For each character in the following pairs, you need to assign a number of points based on what you imagine he'd be like as a father:

• If you think one would be a better dad than the other, then give the winner 3 points and the loser 1 point
  • If you think both would be about the same, then give both characters 2 points each

In other words, your answer will end up looking like this:

Who do you think would be a better dad?

A - XYXY - 3 (winner)

B - XYXY - 1 (loser)

OR

A - XYXY - 2 (tie)

B - XYXY - 2 (tie)

Otherwise, there are no real rules here; what you think makes a good dad or not is entirely up to you. Again, feel free to elaborate on your responses at any time, but just casting votes with no explanation is also fine.

So, here goes! (Once again, pairs are completely random, based on a computerized dice/sequencer - what you see is what you get).

1. Who do you think would be a better dad?

A - Park Si On

B - Lee Kang To

2. Who do you think would be a better dad?

A - Gyun Woo

B - Kim Tae Hyun

3. Who do you think would be a better dad?

A - Hwang Tae Hui

B - Han Gil Ro

4. Who do you think would be a better dad?

A - Gu Ma Jun

B - Cha Yoo Jin

So what do you guys think? Will we have a clear winner - or will I end up flipping a coin?

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

A - Park Si On

B - Lee Kang To

Park Si-on- I think Si-on will turn out to be a better father than Kang -To. First reason is he is open to change, in drama his autism often over shadows his character, if we look carefully he has character or personality who embraces change and has open mind, he would take advice given by his well wishers seriously, especially advice given by Cha yoon-seon(Since they would be raising the kids together). Second reason is he can understand kids very well, not just as a pediatrician, but also like a friend, we can see in drama he was ready to be friends with kids right away and can understand they cues very well, that's an asset as a dad. Third reason is that he never had a loving dad, so he will try be as best of a dad he can, since he knows the pain of not having a good dad. The list is endless, but I would like to sum it up; like in the drama his character is shown as someone who is persistent and never gives up, so parenting is some what like that.

Coming to Kang-To, if we go by what drama shows, he lost his wife, and I don't see him getting married. He does have good qualities for being a good dad, but his impulsive decisions and temper negated them, I don't see him being patient with his kids, where Si-on has immense patience. :)

A - Gyun Woo

B - Kim Tae Hyun

This one is definitely a draw, both have similar qualities when it comes to parenting, For instance, both are moral and ethical in their conduct and will always teach their kids to be good to others, on top of that both are married to princess(Technically Yeo Jin would be princess in Joseon era), so while theirs moms would be spoiling the kids, its up to dad to keep them in line(I mean in positive way, not like making them do things which they don't want to do):P

A - Hwang Tae Hui

B - Han Gil Ro

Hand down, Hwang Tae-Hui, he was like a father to his younger brother and probably most clam and collective minded adult in his family after his mom and grand mother, since all the males in the family screw up one way or another way:tounge_xd:.

When it comes to Han Gil-Ro, he would have lot of fun with his kid, but that's is not the only thing you need to be a good dad.

A - Gu Ma Jun

B - Cha Yoo Jin

This one is also a tie; even though Ma-Jun won't look like he would make a good father, in the end of the drama it was shown he knew his real father was the secretary, and he did choose to acknowledge it, this shows his maturity. And Cha Yoo-jin also have dad issues just like Ma-jun, but in different way, like acceptance of his dad and recognition from him. So, they both are on the same boat.

Coming to the points

1.A-3, B-1

2.A-2,B-2

3.A-3,B-1

4.A-2,B-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kittyna said:

, but he did mention during interviews back then that he was saving up for a house that he could live in with his entire family. I'm not sure how that turned out, but if it did, congrats to him

I guess he did full this dream of his, in an instagram post we can see that his dad jogging in a neighborhood near to his house. So, I guess he did fulfilled his dream.

5 hours ago, kittyna said:

However, this does remind me of the money-related questions he was asked on Healing Camp: how he would react if his parents spent a large sum of the money he earned, or if their attempts to invest it failed and they wound up in debt. Which does tell me how often things like that happen in Korea. But I remember how calm JW was when he answered; while that doesn't mean he would be so calm and collected in real life (since people tend to underestimate how upset they'd be in a crisis), it did show how he thought of his family as a team and the money he made as a shared entity.

His bond with his family is really strong, that's why, he is money as just an means to live. And I think they did support him a lot when he was in his early days of musical career, all the three of them(his mom,dad and brother) really cherishes him, maybe that's why he acts cute in front of his seniors and gets close really quick with them. :D

• Like 2

Coming to the points

1.A-3, B-1

2.A-2,B-2

3.A-3,B-1

4.A-2,B-2

Oof, you're not making this easy for me, aren't you. I'll have to see whether I can break some of those ties, then - which means I'll need some time to seriously think over my answers.

But I will concede that #2 in particular is tough - honestly, I think either Gyun Woo or Kim Tae Hyun would be good candidates for the overall winner, even. But if only one can move on to the next round...I'll have to think.

His bond with his family is really strong, that's why, he is money as just an means to live. And I think they did support him a lot when he was in his early days of musical career, all the three of them(his mom,dad and brother) really cherishes him, maybe that's why he acts cute in front of his seniors and gets close really quick with them. :D

He said that his parents were initially concerned about his decision to become an actor, but that he managed to persuade them when he made it clear that he wasn't afraid of possible financial hardship. That told them that he really was into it because he liked it and not because he had dreams of becoming famous or anything like that. :) 

And, yes, the fact that he's the maknae back home does mean that he slips into that role really easily at work as well.

And here are a few more behind-the-scenes shots from Alice:

By the way, for what it's worth, I've just started watching Room No. 9, which is another drama starring Kim Hee Sun. It's my first time actually watching anything she's done, and from what I've seen so far...I think we can expect good things from Alice, at least in the acting department :) 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 4:41 AM, kittyna said:

Oof, you're not making this easy for me, aren't you. I'll have to see whether I can break some of those ties, then - which means I'll need some time to seriously think over my answers.

But I will concede that #2 in particular is tough - honestly, I think either Gyun Woo or Kim Tae Hyun would be good candidates for the overall winner, even. But if only one can move on to the next round...I'll have to think.

Well, choosing options was not particularly easy for me also. Besides, you should have interchanged Gyun woo and Kim Tae Hyun with Ma Jun and Cha yoo jin, then we would have had clear winners. :tounge_xd::lol:

Oof, you're not making this easy for me, aren't you

You should blame  joo won for taking roles which are diverse,complex and have few similarities at the same time:tounge_xd:

He said that his parents were initially concerned about his decision to become an actor, but that he managed to persuade them when he made it clear that he wasn't afraid of possible financial hardship. That told them that he really was into it because he liked it and not because he had dreams of becoming famous or anything like that. :) 

Yeah, it was like surreal moment for joo won, initially he got into acting to overcome his introvert nature, as he keep on doing his acting classes he got knack for it and continued to pursue arts. :smiley:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kittyna said:

Room No. 9

Whoa!!! Kim Hee-sun acting just blew my mind in this series, I knew she was good when I have had seen her acting in "Angry mom", but in this series, her acting was on different level. After watching these two series, I am looking forward to "Alice" drama to see Joo won's acting and Kim hee-sun's acting as well. I hope joo won could match up to her acting skills or even better he improved his acting skills by taking some tips from her:smiley:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Besides, you should have interchanged Gyun woo and Kim Tae Hyun with Ma Jun and Cha yoo jin, they we would have had clear winners. :tounge_xd::lol:

lol - maybe so, but the randomized pairings are half the fun, because they force us to think outside the box ;) 

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, it was like surreal moment for joo won, initially he got into acting to overcome his introvert nature, as he keep on doing his acting classes he got knack for it and continued to pursue arts.

A good number of performing artists are introverts, actually - although I don't know if anyone's ever done a statistical analysis. If nothing else, performing is one way an introvert could open him/herself up to an audience, since their actual art (whether it's acting, music, dance, etc.) gives viewers something to focus on outside of the artist's own person.

After watching these two series, I am looking forward to "Alice" drama to see Joo won's acting and Kim hee-sun's acting as well. I hope joo won could match up to her acting skills or even better he improved his acting skills by taking some tips from her:smiley:

I actually think they'd work well bouncing ideas off each other, but we'll have to wait for the final product to know 100% for sure.

And JW posted yet another on-set clip on his Instagram stories:

I guess this answers your question from before, @kireeti2 - it looks like he's doing both Alice and the film simultaneously. At least for now.

And I'm just sharing this tribute to both the Japanese and Korean versions of Nodame Cantabile/Nae Il's Cantabile. Why? Just because I like it :) 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kittyna said:

A good number of performing artists are introverts, actually - although I don't know if anyone's ever done a statistical analysis. If nothing else, performing is one way an introvert could open him/herself up to an audience, since their actual art (whether it's acting, music, dance, etc.) gives viewers something to focus on outside of the artist's own person.

Now that you mention it, a lot of famous actors come under introvert category, in Hollywood it is Leonardo, in south Korea k-dramas our joo won and kim Soo-Hyun and some extent Lee Min-Ho(But when it comes to women he is in extrovert mode:P). I think this because introverts tend to enjoy their alone time more than spending time with crowd, so all that suppressed human expressions some out in the form of art(like acting,singing or musical performance)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

And I'm just sharing this tribute to both the Japanese and Korean versions of Nodame Cantabile/Nae Il's Cantabile. Why? Just because I like it :) 

I like how your posts are sometimes self-explanatory(you ask the question and you answer it):tounge_xd:

I might add, those three look identical and Japanese actor can his doppelganger :tounge_xd:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that you mention it, a lot of famous actors come under introvert category, in Hollywood it is Leonardo, in south Korea k-dramas our joo won and kim Soo-Hyun and some extent Lee Min-Ho(But when it comes to women he is in extrovert mode:P).

If you mean Leonardo DiCaprio, I do have to point out that while I hadn't known he was an introvert in real life, it's interesting that I have seen a couple of K-drama fans comparing JW to him. Both of them started off like any other pretty face/teenage heartthrob, but have since moved on to becoming well known as versatile and highly skilled actors in their own right :) 

As for other introverted Korean actors, I can also add Lee Jong Suk to the list :) 

Anyway, I'm actually here to quickly drop my responses to the survey I posted the other day. This does NOT mean the round is over, however. I plan to officially move on to Round Two early next week, so you'll have until Sunday, May 31 to add your response as well.

Spoiler

A - Park Si On - 3

B - Lee Kang To - 1

I don't think parenting would come easily to either Si On or Kang To, but if it's a contest, I do think Si On would edge out in front.

Si On's naturally caring and nurturing personality will definitely come into play here; I can see him throwing himself into providing for his kids' needs and trying to do everything he can to keep them happy. He'd be the fun and playful parent, but I can imagine he'd run into issues when it comes to disciplining or scolding his kids if they ever misbehaved (not that he wouldn't do it, but he'd look so darn cute when he's angry that it's hard to imagine any child taking him seriously then).

As for Kang To, if you peel back his more gruff and aggressive exterior, we do see that he's extremely loyal and devoted to those he loves. However, I think the biggest obstacle Kang To would face is the fact that he's already been hurt so many times in his life; having lost his entire family, the woman he loved, and his best friend by this point...I can imagine that he'd just be reluctant to find love and start a family anytime soon. Especially if he thinks that his own days are numbered - which they are, since he's going to be a wanted fugitive as long as the Japanese are still in power. Even on the off chance that he does become a father, I think he'd be reluctant to really fully commit into the role, considering just how much is at stake; and the ones who'd suffer for that emotional unavailability in the long run would be said kids.

A - Gyun Woo - 1

B - Kim Tae Hyun - 3

Lol - This one was the tough one, but I didn't want to just add to the tie either :P So just know that even though Tae Hyun wins for me, he's only doing so by a hair. And the criterion I ultimately use here is that Gyun Woo is predominantly book-smart, while Tae Hyun is more street-smart.

Gyun Woo was raised by a father whose parenting style was strongly influenced by Confucian philosophy, and we see how that affects his life and values as an adult. I think he'd use a similar approach in dealing with his own kids: giving them a strong moral/ethical foundation that he hopes would guide them throughout their lives. He'd also work hard at balancing between encouraging/praising his kids and disciplining them. However, I think he'd have a hard time dealing with any behavioural problems that might arise: not from lack of caring or interest, but simply because he himself was a relatively well-behaved child who's only really had to teach yet another relatively well-behaved child (the young Prince). So if the child ends up mischievous or hanging with the wrong crowd, he'd be rather lost.

And it's on this last point where I think Tae Hyun just manages to edge out in front. Unlike Gyun Woo, he's someone who grew up in a bad environment, but proactively chose to go straight instead. I think that means he'd be better equipped to guide his kids through dealing with unfair circumstances, peer pressure, negative influences coming from outside, etc. - all those things that could cause children of even the most well-meaning parents to go astray.

A - Hwang Tae Hui - 3

B - Han Gil Ro - 1

This one's the clearest contest for me. While I can see Han Gil Ro as being the fun/cool dad who's really affectionate towards his kids, he'd have a hard time with a lot of the nitty gritty stuff that comes with raising a family. As for Tae Hui, he's the quietly dependable and responsible type to begin with, and we can see from his interactions with his nephew that, although awkward at times, he is able to build up a strong rapport with kids if he needs to. I also think that, out of all 8 characters here, Tae Hui would be one of the best at balancing love and discipline.

A - Gu Ma Jun - 1

B - Cha Yoo Jin - 3

While both Ma Jun and Yoo Jin had somewhat dysfunctional relationships with their own fathers, I think Yoo Jin's been more successful in letting go of that emotional baggage. Yoo Jin's been quick to develop a leadership style that Nae Il actually describes as being very parental in nature: stern, but in such a way that those under him (i.e. the orchestra members or, in this scenario, his kids) could sense that he's got their best interests at heart. However, he'd have to work hard not to repeat some of the mistakes he made at the beginning, where, with only his father and Professor Do to go by as examples, he'd been too harsh and critical with Nae Il or the S Orchestra. As long as he's careful about that, he'd be fine.

As for Ma Jun, it's great to see him finally starting to grow up and mature by the end of the drama, but it does mean that we as viewers don't really get much of a chance to see what the new-and-improved version of his character would be like. If we go with the earlier version of him, though, then he'd definitely have problems making sure not to let his own past emotional baggage bleed into his own parenting.

So, here's what the accumulated points are so far:

Spoiler

Park Si On - 6

Lee Kang To - 2

Gyun Woo - 3

Kim Tae Hyun - 5

Hwang Tae Hui - 6

Han Gil Ro - 2

Gu Ma Jun - 3

Cha Yoo Jin - 5

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I might add, those three look identical and Japanese actor can his doppelganger :tounge_xd:

And now apparently there's a Chinese version that I somehow wasn't aware of:

nodame cantabile chinese remake

lol - It would be interesting to compare all three versions of the main characters (Japanese, Korean, and Chinese) side by side. But I don't think I'd be the right person to do it, since I'm already too biased towards the Korean version ;) 

I don't know if I'd ever think of JW and Hiroshi Tamaki (i.e. the Japanese actor) as doppelgangers, though - from the pictures of Nodame Cantabile I've seen, Hiroshi Tamaki actually reminds me more of a combination between Ji Sung and Park Ki Woong in his general features, facial proportions, etc. Weird comparison, I know, but ever since I thought that once, I could never un-see it again, so it's stuck in my head now :P 

Nor can I say I really see JW/Cha Yoo Jin in the anime pics - like I said, I do appear to be biased towards the Korean version already. So I guess I just see Cha Yoo Jin as, well, Cha Yoo Jin, and not really in comparison with Chiaki Shinichi (Japanese) or Li Zhen Yi (Chinese).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Ji Sung and Park Ki Woong in his general features, facial proportions, etc. Weird comparison, I know, but ever since I thought that once, I could never un-see it again, so it's stuck in my head now :P 

Weird indeed, Park ki Woong looks and personality is quite different from Ji sung, but from your point of view, if we kind of fuse them physically,perhaps, the outcome of physical appearance would be Hiroshi Tamaki:D

30 minutes ago, kittyna said:

lol - It would be interesting to compare all three versions of the main characters (Japanese, Korean, and Chinese) side by side. But I don't think I'd be the right person to do it, since I'm already too biased towards the Korean version ;) 

I don't know about Chinese version, but Japanese version the main lead was quite blatant, I mean for the comic purpose it was fun to watch, like hitting the female lead(in comedic way) and openly cursing, but the comedy in korean version was bit subtly and I felt they comedy was taken down a notch, I think they tried to satisfy both Japanese fans with comedy angle and Korean fans with love angle, and messed it up:dissapointed:

• Like 2

Weird indeed, Park ki Woong looks and personality is quite different from Ji sung, but from your point of view, if we kind of fuse them physically,perhaps, the outcome of physical appearance would be Hiroshi Tamaki:D

I know :lol: Like, I thought that, went, "Wait, what?", and then wound up with it getting stuck in my head.

I don't know about Chinese version, but Japanese version the main lead was quite blatant, I mean for the comic purpose it was fun to watch, like hitting the female lead(in comedic way) and openly cursing, but the comedy in korean version was bit subtly and I felt they comedy was taken down a notch, I think they tried to satisfy both Japanese fans with comedy angle and Korean fans with love angle, and messed it up:dissapointed:

I will admit that I feel like the stylist for the Chinese version missed a memo somewhere, because I've never seen a coat like what the male lead's wearing before in any sort of classical music-related context - looks more steampunk than anything else. But that's just me being nit-picky. :P 

In terms of the comedy, I did sense that Japanese and Korean styles of comedy/humour might be different, since it's really obvious in Nae Il's Cantabile which comic scenes were filmed first as references to the Japanese version, and which ones came afterwards. I do want to give kudos to the production team, however, for making the music festival a more visible turning point in Nae Il's portrayal in particular - seeing her be more over-the-top and "extra" before then and starting to tone it down afterward (as she becomes aware of Yoo Jin's impending graduation, study abroad, etc.) made a lot of sense, in my opinion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

In terms of the comedy, I did sense that Japanese and Korean styles of comedy/humour might be different, since it's really obvious in Nae Il's Cantabile which comic scenes were filmed first as references to the Japanese version, and which ones came afterwards. I do want to give kudos to the production team, however, for making the music festival a more visible turning point in Nae Il's portrayal in particular - seeing her be more over-the-top and "extra" before then and starting to tone it down afterward (as she becomes aware of Yoo Jin's impending graduation, study abroad, etc.) made a lot of sense, in my opinion.

Now that you mention it, Japanese version as more comedy angle in its series and Korean version emphasized more on musical angel, like it was proper musical series. In Japanese version there was hardly any orchestra, there were few performance but for limited screen time, in Korean version some times whole episode is dedicated to musical performance :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that you mention it, Japanese version as more comedy angle in its series and Korean version emphasized more on musical angel, like it was proper musical series. In Japanese version there was hardly any orchestra, there were few performance but for limited screen time, in Korean version some times whole episode is dedicated to musical performance

That's interesting - since I've heard the opposite. I remember seeing comments from people who've watched both versions saying that the Korean version tended to cut musical performances short (e.g. showing a bit from the beginning of a piece, then cutting to the end), whereas the Japanese version's musical numbers were more complete. And there is some credence to that: I could find, say, a 10-minute clip of a single concert from the Japanese drama, but you never really get those in the Korean one. 

One such example below - by the way, I just want to say that there is a marked difference between Nodame and Nae Il's piano-playing styles here.

So now your comment makes me wonder: does the Japanese version not show as much of the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes into studying and performing music compared to the Korean version? Like, is that where the difference in screen time is?

Because while performance segments were short in Nae Il's Cantabile, there was a lot of that: politics within the school's administration, especially its effect on funding, performance opportunities, etc. (I know some viewers complained about that, but it does happen for real); practice sessions/rehearsals; musicians struggling with lack of confidence , injuries, less-than-stellar results, etc. For me, that's part of what made Nae Il's Cantabile a musical drama: it showed not only the music, but also a lot of the stuff that musicians normally deal with to make it happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

That's interesting - since I've heard the opposite. I remember seeing comments from people who've watched both versions saying that the Korean version tended to cut musical performances short (e.g. showing a bit from the beginning of a piece, then cutting to the end), whereas the Japanese version's musical numbers were more complete. And there is some credence to that: I could find, say, a 10-minute clip of a single concert from the Japanese drama, but you never really get those in the Korean one. 

I do agree that there was lack of research when it comes to Korean version, I did find the musical postures of characters a bit bland , but Japanese version it was more expression and felt lively while watching it. But I think over dramatization made series of Japanese version more musical in nature.

One such example below - by the way, I just want to say that there is a marked difference between Nodame and Nae Il's piano-playing styles here

By the way Nodame cantabile has 2 movies and 2 drama series:astonished:,no wonder people find Korean version inferior to Japanese version, maybe that's the reason why people find it had more musical angle. And also, if we add the movies and series of the Nodame cantabile it does have more screen time for musical performance

One such example below - by the way, I just want to say that there is a marked difference between Nodame and Nae Il's piano-playing styles here.

After re-watching  whole  Nodame  cantabile series(2006) for the above scene:bawling:, because I was baffled that I could I had missed such an iconic scene. Then I have finally  realized that it was from the Movie version of "Nodame Cantabile The Movie : Final Score 2" :joy:

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

So now your comment makes me wonder: does the Japanese version not show as much of the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes into studying and performing music compared to the Korean version? Like, is that where the difference in screen time is?

No, there were no behind-the-scenes about struggle of musical students(I am talking about 2006 version series), it was totally about realizing potential of two main leads. But there were some scene where they show few struggles, it was limited only to the group, like finding harmony in the orchestra group for better performance, other than that there was no issue like hierarchy, school administration interference etc etc. Maybe that's where Korean version fell short, people were expecting it to have more about musical performance, which it did have on par with Japanese version, but lack of research made the series mediocre:dissapointed:

• Like 2