Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Personal thoughts on Joo Won following his press con in Singapore on 10 Oct 2015

I'm looking at the presscon photos, some taken by media people who went, and I'm still finding it very surreal that I was actually there... :o

My friend (with whom I went) and I spent the afternoon thereafter repeatedly talking about why we thought he seemed so charming in person. With all those cameras clicking away and hands with other digital devices up in front of me, it wasn't always easy to catch a clear, unobstructed view of him despite being in such private, close quarters with him. But oh, when I did - there was a moment when I decided to put my smartphone down and just look at him, soak him in - and I think at that moment the room just fell silent for me as I tried to absorb his voice and details. I have never seen any other Kdrama star before in person, so I don't know how he compares with them, but at that press conference yesterday, Park Hye Soo simply faded. Not to discount her acting in the show or her lovely voice for the OST, but my friend and I agreed she was very plain in person and lacked that presence that Joo Won has. The moment he walked into the room, despite his quiet demeanour, you could tell - "Joo Won is in da house!" It was a working event, so there were no screams and yells. As quickly as everyone filed in, everyone filed out post event. But amidst the non-stop sounds of cameras going off, I swear you could hear people holding their breath when he stepped in. 

Joo Won has a certain presence I would say. Not an imposing one, but his presence could be felt but not one of arrogance. If you couldn't get any more clichéd than this, he fit perfectly the descriptor of "the strong and silent type". At many times through that short 45 minute conference, he fiddled with the mic and looked at his feet a lot. As the interpreter rattled off, you also got the sense that he wasn't always with us. But somehow those actions did not make him come across as aloof as some stars might make you feel. With Joo Won, those acts somehow made you just feel sorry for him - at those moments I just saw fatigue in his body language. Not the negative sort of fatigue though. Just the kind of tiredness I think a schedule like Yong Pal's would put him in. It didn't feel like he has had rest despite the well-rehearsed words of assurance he gave the press. And you feel sorry for him. Then when based on fan accounts of his fan meeting whereat he seemed livelier and more energized, I actually found myself feeling even sorrier for him. I remember at one point during the conference when I was just concentrating on looking at him, I just wished I could give him a hug and tell him, "There, there... Rest will come shortly." Regardless, you can tell Joo Won was grateful for it all. Therein lies that humility. He was grateful that he has fans outside his native Korea - something I believe he never expected to have. He was grateful he was being recognized for his work. 

I'm no fangirl - I was there because I had the opportunity to go and I was encaptured by him sufficiently through Yong Pal to want to not let such a rare opportunity to see him in person go to waste. And life is exceedingly busy this period, so all logic actually pointed to me not going. But I'm glad I went in the end on my husband's encouragement (thank you hubby from heaven!). It really was an enjoyable event.  

(@mrdimples (why can't I tag you??) - welcome to repost this on the blog you manage. :))

• Like 13
  • Replies 57.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

Personal thoughts on Joo Won following his press con in Singapore on 10 Oct 2015

I'm looking at the presscon photos, some taken by media people who went, and I'm still finding it very surreal that I was actually there... :o

My friend (with whom I went) and I spent the afternoon thereafter repeatedly talking about why we thought he seemed so charming in person. With all those cameras clicking away and hands with other digital devices up in front of me, it wasn't always easy to catch a clear, unobstructed view of him despite being in such private, close quarters with him. But oh, when I did - there was a moment when I decided to put my smartphone down and just look at him, soak him in - and I think at that moment the room just fell silent for me as I tried to absorb his voice and details. I have never seen any other Kdrama star before in person, so I don't know how he compares with them, but at that press conference yesterday, Park Hye Soo simply faded. Not to discount her acting in the show or her lovely voice for the OST, but my friend and I agreed she was very plain in person and lacked that presence that Joo Won has. The moment he walked into the room, despite his quiet demeanour, you could tell - "Joo Won is in da house!" It was a working event, so there were no screams and yells. As quickly as everyone filed in, everyone filed out post event. But amidst the non-stop sounds of cameras going off, I swear you could hear people holding their breath when he stepped in. 

Joo Won has a certain presence I would say. Not an imposing one, but his presence could be felt but not one of arrogance. If you couldn't get any more clichéd than this, he fit perfectly the descriptor of "the strong and silent type". At many times through that short 45 minute conference, he fiddled with the mic and looked at his feet a lot. As the interpreter rattled off, you also got the sense that he wasn't always with us. But somehow those actions did not make him come across as aloof as some stars might make you feel. With Joo Won, those acts somehow made you just feel sorry for him - at those moments I just saw fatigue in his body language. Not the negative sort of fatigue though. Just the kind of tiredness I think a schedule like Yong Pal's would put him in. It didn't feel like he has had rest despite the well-rehearsed words of assurance he gave the press. And you feel sorry for him. Then when based on fan accounts of his fan meeting whereat he seemed livelier and more energized, I actually found myself feeling even sorrier for him. I remember at one point during the conference when I was just concentrating on looking at him, I just wished I could give him a hug and tell him, "There, there... Rest will come shortly." Regardless, you can tell Joo Won was grateful for it all. Therein lies that humility. He was grateful that he has fans outside his native Korea - something I believe he never expected to have. He was grateful he was being recognized for his work. 

I'm no fangirl - I was there because I had the opportunity to go and I was encaptured by him sufficiently through Yong Pal to want to not let such a rare opportunity to see him in person go to waste. And life is exceedingly busy this period, so all logic actually pointed to me not going. But I'm glad I went in the end on my husband's encouragement (thank you hubby from heaven!). It really was an enjoyable event.  

(@mrdimples (why can't I tag you??) - welcome to repost this on the blog you manage. :))

@gilaswan

I can't tag you either. urrghh soompi ah!!

Thank you. I am going to do a Joo Won SG on the blog. Can you give me a couple or at least 1 pic for the post above? Can I also post your earlier post with the vids. 

• Like 8

@mrdimples. Now the tagging works!! My friend took pics with her DSLR - ironically, because we were in the last row, we could stand throughout and so had a fairly unobstructed view. I've asked if I could share her photos. Will let you have the pics once I get her ok. ;) And sure, take the vids. They're on YouTube anyway. 

• Like 6

Just to share a cam I took though not the best:)

That's very good, considering you were taking it from the 2nd floor? I am compiling some vids and accounts. Can I include yours on the blog joowoncutie.wordpress.com ?

No problem,, happy to share

Took it from the third floor actually..

Here is one of him doing a selfie

We moved to the first floor then so I could take at least one vid straight on :)

A few other moments 

Edited by illublue
  • Like 6

fm1.jpg

cr: entertainment toggle sg

@Ahpheng as a Singaporean, I never used entertainment toggle much, weird right? But now, I am so grateful for their awesome HD pics and videos. I wasn't too happy with some of the official ones. But seeing these on toggle is really great. 

I hope you can see this video(maybe someone can tell me how to embed non Youtube videos)  it's like being there in person. Thank you Toggle! 

<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" allowfullscreen src="http://video.toggle.sg/en/embed/345679" ></iframe>

or this link http://video.toggle.sg/en/video/clips/joo-won-has-an-embarrassed-moment-when-filming-with-kim-tae-hee/345679

and http://video.toggle.sg/en/video/clips/what-advice-would-joo-won-give-his-15-year-old-self/345678

JW should come to SG again. These videos are already English subbed and you get all the interviews in English. Even though it's not our native language, it's something that most fans can understand. No need for translation :D 

Edited by mrdimples
  • Like 9

@mrdimples not weird lah, it's not that popular, I think, hehe. I only started watching Toggle after Oh My Ghostess Fan Meet , the quality of their videos and Picts were fantastic . I hope they cover the Press conference as well.  Love the wefie shot above. 

• Like 4

1846416429_19823d4c_zpslebjcled.gif

cr: JW DC

That Man interview at Press Con - Video clips

Part 1 http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM1Njk4NjY0OA==.html

Part 2 http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/WtJ6jzvIh5s/?resourceId=0_06_02_99

I don't know how this movie will fare but I am looking forward to see Joo Won's dedication to his art. See how far he will 'destroy' his image to play the part of an uncouth country bumpkin. 

• Like 7

viewimage.php?id=27b2df31eadc&no=29bcc42

viewimage.php?id=27b2df31eadc&no=29bcc42

credit" D on JW DC

@gilaswan, you like this hairstyle huh? 

I forgot to include in my fan account that Joo Won does not look thin. I think he has regained some of those 7kg he lost. We all know he doesn't like to pump iron but can I just say how awesome his physique is? I have never seen a man who doesn't work out faithfully and still has this kind of body. Sure, you may not see bulging muscles but you can tell from his outline that he has an almost perfect body frame, wonderful and marvelous proportions. If he bulks up a bit, we will all be dead. He has his genes to thank, this kind of physique is God given and his fondness for swimming laps in his youth helped to tone it further. 

Onto other things, we have Healing Camp show to look forward to. Here's some pics from JW DC

e4f3bc8f8c5494eee0705ab62bf5e0fe98257eff

652304f3d7ca7bcbb4a69280b8096b63f724a869

2207ce5c103853432556d28e9513b07ecb8088b5

d17118385343fbf26d7ff38cb67eca8064388fff

9a3d09e93901213f41601b7352e736d12e2e95ff

503db112c8fcc3ce85b89c9c9445d688d53f20d5\

cr as tagged. Got them on JW Baidu. 

I feel like I have been posting too much? I still have lots to do on blog, so much that I made a checklist. 

• Like 7

1846416429_19823d4c_zpslebjcled.gif

cr: JW DC

That Man interview at Press Con - Video clips

Part 1 http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM1Njk4NjY0OA==.html

Part 2 http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/WtJ6jzvIh5s/?resourceId=0_06_02_99

I don't know how this movie will fare but I am looking forward to see Joo Won's dedication to his art. See how far he will 'destroy' his image to play the part of an uncouth country bumpkin. 

This man is sooo different from Joo Won that I saw yesterday!! BUT who cares...actor Joo Won.This style also can... ah.....ah... :wub: 

My mom is going to kick me anytime soon because I keep tell her how handsome he is..  

I will post mine after I put watermarks and some editing.

• Like 8

This man is sooo different from Joo Won that I saw yesterday!! BUT who cares...actor Joo Won.This style also can... ah.....ah... :wub: 

My mom is going to kick me anytime soon because I keep tell her how handsome he is..  

I will post mine after I put watermarks and some editing.

same here hahahhaha my mom thinks i'm going crazy keeps tsk-ing and telling me to go study

• Like 5

Joo Won: The good actor

sp01_copy1.jpg

Tertiani ZB Simanjuntak

The Jakarta Post

Publication Date : 11-10-2015

<deleted>

“I’m not afraid of taking on challenges. Not many actors my age can stand on stage and act like I do. I have the confidence to stay in my acting career for a long time because I have done all the titles other actors avoided,” said the 28-year-old during a group interview  officer in 2012’s Bridal Mask, as among the challenges he had taken that had in turn propelled him.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-81588.html

Sometimes I wonder who writes these things. Do they not know how arrogant this sounds to speakers of English? Such reports can give rise to the misunderstanding that an actor lacks humility, which in Joo Won's case would be so far from the truth! And his role in Good Doctor was not that of someone with Asperger's. Get the facts right if you want to be an entertainment writer, please. Tsk. 

• Like 7

Joo Won: The good actor

sp01_copy1.jpg

Tertiani ZB Simanjuntak

The Jakarta Post

Publication Date : 11-10-2015

<deleted>

“I’m not afraid of taking on challenges. Not many actors my age can stand on stage and act like I do. I have the confidence to stay in my acting career for a long time because I have done all the titles other actors avoided,” said the 28-year-old during a group interview  officer in 2012’s Bridal Mask, as among the challenges he had taken that had in turn propelled him.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-81588.html

Sometimes I wonder who writes these things. Do they not know how arrogant this sounds to speakers of English? Such reports can give rise to the misunderstanding that an actor lacks humility, which in Joo Won's case would be so far from the truth! And his role in Good Doctor was not that of someone with Asperger's. Get the facts right if you want to be an entertainment writer, please. Tsk. 

Glad someone talked about this because I was spontaneously said 'really?'. But tbh I still hesitate to believe he did because this is totally opposite with what I saw and read before. For eg. when the writer? (not sure) complimented his portrayal as Sam was the best he ever saw but Joowon commented that the writer didn't really mean what he said.

• Like 5
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]
  • Guest unfeatured this topic