Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

@moonandhearts

as promised, the translation :

Meeting Joo Won.

Only 27 years old, and this actor has already  a rich career, that  has no cause to be envious of his seniors. Nothing predestined him to become an actor, but his parents made him join theater class because of he seemed introvert.

He began his carrer in 2006 with musicals : Altar boys, Grease, Spring awakening.

We have to wait 2010 for His first tV appearance in Baker king, -his talent for bread cooking was praised by his coworkers-

Tae hee’ role in OB (big success drama) makes him win the award for “male actor debut”.

In 2012 he gets the role of Lee Kang To in BM. The delicate subject was rejected by many experienced actors, who feared to be hated by the Japanese audience. But JW took the challenge, succeeding in being loved as hated. He proved the full extent of his talent by the great interpretation of Lee Kang to, a complex character. He gained then in term of popularity.

JW also sang Jugement Day, a part of ost’s drama, during the KBS awards, with the famous tenor Lee Jon Yon (?).

But his biggest challenge is still Good Doctor. He plays Park Si Won, a savant autist, with great capacities in diagnostic. His role, interpreted with accuracy and sensibility, gave him the award of best actor of the year.

This workaholic never stops : in 2013 in plays in 2 drama, one movie, the tv show 1N2D and in the musical Ghost where he interprets the lead role of Patrick Swayze, with the singer Ivy.

Smiling, funny, sexy, warm and genuine with his public, qualities that make him  the mascot in 1N2D, but also the “darling of the public” for many fans.

In 2014, He took the role of Chiaki in the remake of NC.

Many awards, lead in many dramas and movie, musicals, tvshows, some appearances in clips or ost’s drama, his talent for acting, singing, dancing, his sincerity and his simplicity make him a “solid value” of his generation

• Like 8

Thank you @manyearsago 

I don't like the tone of interviewer,maybe that's why Joo Won gave some ambiguous answers. Joo Won is awesome as he is now and his fans don't need him to change in any ways.Even if he does,it is his choice but I just hope he will not change just because of peer pressure.In my opinion,he surely made mistakes last year by choosing those 2 roles but I understand that he is just human and bound to make mistakes.His films are unsuccessful but it is okay.

While 20s are the years for young actors to gain fans and have many experience,30s are the years that will filter the good and decent actors.Only a handful will be continue as leading men and maintain their popularity.Then only a few(very few) will able to enter into movie industry.It is easy to be a TV actor but harder to be a movie actor and act in highly anticipated films.Therefore,I hope he will not "waste" his 30s like he said.Play hard work hard?That's what he means?

I think Joo Won is doing fine for his long term plan as actor.He is more or less lucky that he is able to act in movies,be it good or bad.I like one actor who spent his 20s and early 30s in TV industry,rarely getting offers from movie directors.Some lucky charm happened and he become famous,allowed to act in supporting roles in movies although he was the leading man in TV dramas.He worked very hard and now become one of the highly sought movie actor,working with famous and highly acclaimed directors. 

I hope Joo Won will not give up and continue to strike in his 30s too(please dont go crazy like you said,if you can)so that he will achieve his dream of becoming movie actor who is allowed to act in serious and high quality movies.He sure will. :)

Edited by Ma OO
  • Like 7

[Interview] Geek Magazine 2015 January Issue

[訪問] Geek 雜誌 2015 1 月号

JOO WON’S JOY RIDE

~ You are in your twenties.  It looks too tough.  Don’t you think it is necessary to break some rules for doing various acting?

JW:  Friends and seniors also said “You can do various acting like how a dog plays.  When are you going to stop living a straight-laced life?”  But I have my own plan, say I focus on my acting in my twenties and I will play like a dog in my thirties.  I will live a more straight-laced life in the next two years.

~ 現在才二十歳,這對自己未免太過苛刻了嗎?為了多樣化的演技,你是否有考慮過打破規限?

JW: 朋友和前輩們都跟我這樣説:「你可以像狗玩耍一樣去表演多樣化的演技,你這樣循規蹈矩的生活要活到何時呢?」但是我有自己的計劃,譬如説二十歳時我集中演技,三十歳時我會像狗一樣的玩耍,之後兩年我會過更加循規蹈矩的生活。

~ But what must you do to play like a dog?

JW:   I think I just need to open up more of myself.  I think a lot on this topic.  I also worry a lot.  Even I don’t think or worry about it, I can still live as nothing has happened.  While knowing it, I just worry and become anxious.   I am currently working on solving this problem.

~ 但是要怎樣玩才像狗一樣呢 

JW:  我想我要更加開放自己,這方面我想了很多,亦很擔心, 但即使我不去想或不去擔心,我也可以像沒有事情一樣的過生活。要是我知道的話,我只會擔心和焦急,我正在想辦法去解決這個問題。

~ Do you have any new year’s resolutions?

JW:  Well, I am already reaching the end of twenties so I have more worries.  Because I can’t keep going this way, it seems like it is necessary for me to make some little changes.  It is alright even that is not my real aspect.  Even it is fake but once I get used to the changes made by me, that is my aspect.  This is one of my resolutions.  I am looking for another side of me.

~ 在新的一年有什麼計劃?

JW: 快到三十歳,所以多少也有點擔憂。因為不可以繼續這樣下去,似乎有必要作出多少改變,即使不是我真正的一面也沒有關係,即使是假但習慣了我所作出的改變之後,那也是我的一面,是我其中的一個計劃,我會尋找我的另一面。

English and Chinese translations by manyearsago @ soompi    (Translator’s note:  Korean is not my native language, I just translated above article according to my understanding so there could be mistakes in my translation.)

Who are these people who keep telling him he has to do something different, be something different?  Ugh.

I wonder if he resents the implication that his acting would be better if he just "lived" (more/wildly/differently).  Hell, I resent it, and it has nothing to do with me.  I don't blame him at all for his slightly defensive tone in some of his answers.

And that person interviewing him is a little snarky, what with basically calling him forgettable.

Some kind soul had posted the entire musical video "U are Shining" which explains the concept of today's youth how they are shining:

The man who is being interviewed I think was the producer for Ghost (from iseensee). No wonder Joo Won was selected to represent the "youth of today". Thanks to this sir. U Know Yunho represented the "shadow of youth" (maybe the bad influences on youth) and Song So Hee represented the "goddess of life" like the shining light on the youth.

I'm intrigued what the entire mini musical was about- can't really see the story line as all i see are snippets! haha

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'm still confused.  Haha.

There are also these, which are just his parts.  The second one is the song, and the others are other things. (It's kind of shaky video, though.)

credit: K RAHEE

The first part is especially entertaining, I think.  Reminds me of this:

s7cOCsa.jpg

• Like 5

I believe that "shadow" role might refer to the potential problems that the youth of today might face and not just bad influences. The "light" gives them the strength of meet and overcome those issues. (Really hate this new format as commenting is a struggle)

Cr: 열하❤よる

The man who is being interviewed I think was the producer for Ghost (from iseensee). No wonder Joo Won was selected to represent the "youth of today". Thanks to this sir. U Know Yunho represented the "shadow of youth" (maybe the bad influences on youth) and Song So Hee represented the "goddess of life" like the shining light on the youth.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for posting updates of joowon :)

The way reporter of Greek Magazine  asked joowon seems a little harsh. Maybe he/she doesn't want to ask common questions so try asking something more inside and deeply. 

Joo won said like many times about changing himself.. eh I still don't understand what he needs to change. About acting? Like the reporter said he should try more various acting? But I think Joowon didn't stick to any particular image since he tries many different characters already. The stories and everything for each project are different as well. 

Maybe there is something I don't know what he tries to break his own wall. However, I hope he enjoys his life and doesn't have to worry too much. 

I  feel like having more to comment but I lack of writing skill. Haha so I maybe back next time if I can think something about Joowon : ))

• Like 5

Thanks for the trans @ophris ! ^^ thanks also @manyearsago for thr Geek Mag interview trans. I have to say that was one weird interview, quite disrespectful questions even. Props to Joo Won for pretty good answers. 

Ooohhh so that was what that Universiade Opening performance was about. Thanks Joo Won Cutie International Subbing Team. 

P.s. There are photos of Cutie filming for Yongpal on twitter, haven't gotten used to this site yet. Anybody able to post them? Thanks! ^^

• Like 4

[Interview] Geek Magazine 2015 January Issue

[訪問] Geek 雜誌 2015 1 月号

JOO WON’S JOY RIDE

Joo Won does not easily step on the accelerator pedal

Whatever it is, he thoroughly considers and discreetly makes decision

But recently he challenges without fear and makes different commitments

While stepping on the accelerator pedal, he is approaching the moment to take off

周元絶不容易踩油門踏板

無論什麼事情,他都會徹底地検討及慎重地決定

但最近他無懼戰並作出不同的承諾

正在踩油門踏板的他將接近起飛的瞬間

I haven't the same feeling of negativity from this article.

Usually I don't like how every actor/actress is cajoled by reporters. They are praised about "their looks, their hard working", their success", and it's often only because of popularity. I like that some questions are mean and i like JW's answers. Some questions were discussed in this forum, about his movies, his choices, and it's normal that they appear during an interview.

In every interviews of artists, there is the question of "changes". Part of the public want to see another facet, the others want to always see what they like. Personnaly I am in the first part. When I like someone's work, I want to see how far they can explore, how far their talent goes, how far they know themselves and can choose wisely or take challenges again and again.

Joo Won is young, very talented, and I'm waiting for him to continue to try anything, selfishly I don't care if some choice aren't good (because if he doesn't care, who I am to do it), that maintains my interest in him, when he doesn't go with the low like other actors of his generation.

My only reproach is about 'I don't understand your acting, you're good but I don't recall it ...." gne ? It's easy to find some reasons to like an actor/acting ! and if he can't find one in JW in spite of liking his acting is a little....

Bref, this one only makes me appreciate him more !

• Like 7

Can't believe no one put this here yet...

source

Where is everyone?  Did you all die from the hotness? :)

I'm watching over this forum from my grave. Hahahahaha. In all seriousness, he looks so bad a**.

He's walking on hoods of cars and saving lives? Is he saving that guys life? Or seeking revenge? I'm a bit confused but I don't care.

He looks so sexy and so manly.

• Like 5

I'm watching over this forum from my grave. Hahahahaha. In all seriousness, he looks so bad a**.

He's walking on hoods of cars and saving lives? Is he saving that guys life? Or seeking revenge? I'm a bit confused but I don't care.

He looks so sexy and so manly.

Yup, also on the "don't know what's going on, but it's okay" train.  As long as the writing actually makes sense come drama-airing time...

But for now, I will gladly take more of this...whatever it is.  :D

Hey, do you think that's Mountia jacket or backpack?  I wonder.  If it is, it would be a bit more subtle than last time at least.

• Like 4

Yup, also on the "don't know what's going on, but it's okay" train.  As long as the writing actually makes sense come drama-airing time...

Hey, do you think that's Mountia jacket or backpack?  I wonder.  If it is, it would be a bit more subtle than last time at least.

Thanks to you, suddenly I've a vision of Joo Won, perched on the car's roof, sewing an abdomen and quietly singing "mountia la la la"...

More seriously, I keep on wondering why he's on a car, and xhy he has some clamps (?) in his hand, that's a strange tool for a surgeon !

• Like 3

Thanks to you, suddenly I've a vision of Joo Won, perched on the car's roof, sewing an abdomen and quietly singing "mountia la la la"...

More seriously, I keep on wondering why he's on a car, and xhy he has some clamps (?) in his hand, that's a strange tool for a surgeon !

Clamp to pull out the nasty sharp object from mob boss's abdomen? He is working hard.As always.

• Like 3

Climbing mountains and diving in oceans? Okay, it's the top of a car or bridge and Han River isn't really an ocean.......my problem is why wet that nice black outfit? Have they heard of swim trunks? 

2083592517_c59b7ff9_image_zpstccx4mer.jp

credit: taken from JW DC

i only hope Yong Pal isn't some kind of super hero saving people in the dark of the night.......Just give me the trunks without the cape, thank you. 

Edited by mrdimples
  • Like 7

I really needed a laugh today (bad  night) and this made me laugh out loud and now I have a Mountia earworm!

• Like 4

That would make the PPL considerably less subtle, but probably more entertaining.  Maybe they can do a crossover ad or something, and Mountia can start marketing itself as outerwear for shady underworld dealings as well as hiking. :)

La la la Mountia!

Climbing mountains and diving in oceans? Okay, it's the top of a car or bridge and Han River isn't really an ocean.......my problem is why wet that nice black outfit? Have they heard of swim trunks? 

i only hope Yong Pal isn't some kind of super hero saving people in the dark of the night.......Just give me the trunks without the cape, thank you. 

I doubt our poor doctor was planning on that swim, unfortunately.  And Mountia doesn't make swim trunks.  Therefore my PPL theory must be correct.  Haha.

• Like 3

That would make the PPL considerably less subtle, but probably more entertaining.  Maybe they can do a crossover ad or something, and Mountia can start marketing itself as outerwear for shady underworld dealings as well as hiking. :)

La la la Mountia!

I doubt our poor doctor was planning on that swim, unfortunately.  And Mountia doesn't make swim trunks.  Therefore my PPL theory must be correct.  Haha.

PPL are rarely subtil in dramas, they have the same discretion than kpop song's promotion in them...

And, maybe, Mountia could think about extend their outfits to swimming ? Just an innocent suggestion.

• Like 3

PPL are rarely subtil in dramas, they have the same discretion than kpop song's promotion in them...

That is definitely true, but it's all relative.  Sometimes it fits pretty well; sometimes it's completely shoehorned in.  Guess which category I think this one goes in:

XcfBCJn.jpg

which is what I was referring to when I said "last time".  PPL in general I usually find kind of amusing even when blatant and forced, though, so my Mountia comment was more of a jokey musing than a rant.  They could actually do all sorts of Mountia PPL if he dresses like that (windbreakers, hats, backpacks, etc.), but it might be so subtle then that it could go unnoticed.  Which is completely counterproductive for PPL, haha.

And, maybe, Mountia could think about extend their outfits to swimming ? Just an innocent suggestion.

Yeah, Mountia.  Have you even seen your model? You don't have to cover him up all the time.  There is summer in Korea too. ;)

• Like 3