Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Hmmmm...I didn't expect the confirmation about the movie today! It did come as a surprise as it did literally say, "OMG...REALLY?" when i read about it. That aside, I'm more concerned about him! There's only a certain limit on a person's stamina...And I'm afraid from the most recent interview pictures, with the amount of activities he's had over the past weeks, has taken a toll on him whether he wants to or not, whether he wants to believe it or not! His panda eyes show it all! HE NEEDS REST! =(

-----------------------------------------------------

On another note, my mummy has finally started to watch Good Doctor with Viet subs as i refused to show her the dubbed version as it loses JooWon's interpretation of SiOn & his tone of voice! Haha. And to be honest, she's very very VERY rarely praised ANYONE for their acting (not in a very long recent memory anyways!!) but she praised JooWon's acting as an autistic person. ^__^ His mannerism as SiOn in particular earnt JooWon a very rare praise from my mummy~! ^__^ I wonder if mummy realises that he's the same person as Bridal Mask! =P

-----------------------------------------------------
 Sweet JooWon dreams everyone...from the Southern Hemisphere! ^^

ctfrsgp said:

ctfrsgp

said: No matter how much misgivings fans may have about his new movie project... no matter watz the real reasons tat lead to his decision to do it... We should respect his choice and give him our full support... if his fans do not support him then who else will be there to cheer him on besides his family and close friends. If there are any fans who choose to forsake him just becoz they do not agree with and support his decisions, are they still fit to be called his fans? Real fans stay on with him like leeches no matter what

:D

Rem the time when we all thought L7CS was a rating disaster and how we worried it will ruin cutie's career... in the end, it was this "floppy" drama that has won uri cutie more younger and overseas fans, as well as his 2 new probably life-time friends - gangjjang and Chansung... oso it showed everyone that JW can play a comical character like Gil-Ro and with his noona gangjjang, they made Seo-Ro such a cute and lovable couple :x :x Even with strong competitors like TWTWB and IRIS 2, L7CS had managed to maintain a steady ratings though not high viewership but it did not perform as badly as the recent dramas like MHIYD and Pretty Boy which have experienced or hallyu cast members. This is bcoz of the cohesive cast and crew of L7CS who stayed positive and supportive of each other despite the crappy plot/script. We had seen that from the BTS vids and pics posted by the crew and cast in Twitter during that time. I just want to say - letz stay positive and believe in our cutie that he will overcome all challenges that he will face to make this new movie a success. We should be wishing him success instead of thinking about the worst scenario even before the project kicks off. Itz like counting how many eggs will be broken even before the hen lays them. The only complaint and greatest worry this bunnie noona has is when will cutie get a good night sleep... to get rid of those ever getting darker and bigger eyebags...

:(

( oso, I want cutie to eat well and be healthy.

For all we know, Fashion King may be the best out of all the movie offers that JW has received that the production team is willing to accommodate to his busy schedule next year. Maybe they have made some adjustments to the original plot... that cld be the reason why it took such a long time for him or his agency to make the decision to accept the project. At least, JW will still have his wish of performing in a musical fulfilled :)

(Warning: This fanaccount may serve as a SPOILER to those who will watch Ghost. Strong recommendation to NOT read if you are planning on watching Ghost any time during its run. This is also a detailed fan-account from a Joowon-biased fan, thus there may be a lot of biasness during comparison. Read at your own risk/pleasure)

Prologue(2)

For those who are going to see Ghost soon, here are some things you may want to know about theatre production:

- props (things on stage) & lighting

- spacing

- adlibs/vocal intonation (suitability with other actors)

The props are arranged beautifully across the stage. Each prop on the stage MUST be used or bear certain significance to the storyline. For instance: a clock doesn’t need to be touched as just by looking at it, people will know the time of that particular scene. But for instance a refrigerator is on the stage, but how to make use of it? The production is really great for they have decided who touches what and when the casts touch them, and of what significance are the props. I really like Ghost’s props for there are so many things on the stage, yet everything bears a relevance to the storyline. The arrangements of the props are also amazing: so simple, yet very realistic and necessary.

The lighting.... OMG, Sam’s ghost lighting is seriously amazing! Even when he was back-hugging Molly, we can still see that he’s blue, whereas Molly is normal. There is this one scene where the production makes use of amazing light in explaining a dead soul, I will make reference to this later on. Wherever dead Sam goes, he is ALWAYS blue. In the Broadway version, I noticed there are times when the light has to move to shine on the actors. But this doesn’t happen at all in Korean Ghost production. They didn’t seem to practice for a very long time, but the casts know where to stand under the light, in order for their expression to show. There were a few times where I think there should be more light on the stage for certain casts, but as the focus at that time is to other casts, generally, the lighting is amazing. There are also a few short scenes where the focus is on the left side of the stage, so what the production does is to complete black-out the entire right side of the stage, so audience’s focus was spot-on. Great work!

In terms of spacing, this is an important aspect for the casts. They should (1) not block other casts or important props, (2) not stand and speak with their backs facing the audience, (3) placement of casts should balance the stage. Numbers (1) and (2) are easy enough to understand, and everyone does this amazingly. The dancers are well placed across the stage, and when the main casts are around, there are so few of them that they do not block each other at all. Molly and Sam especially, are required to look back a lot, but they stand at approximately 45-50 degrees, so audience can still see their expression. But they limit this movement as it is not proper. Certain audience may not be able to see their expression properly, so they need to turn around and talk facing the front. This seems easy enough to think, but to carry out, is quite difficult. Imagine talking to someone on your left/right at the back, but you need to face the front. Kudos to the casts!

In stage-balance, this is quite difficult. This production is very well thought of, so the stage is well-balanced. Bear in mind every movement has to bear significance to the storyline, and not just carried out for nothing. For instance, when Sam and Molly are singing Here Right Now on the left side of the stage, Carl is busy working on the right side, so the audience on the right side have something to watch too. There could not be cases where all 3 casts are on the left side, then it is not fair to those on the right side. So stage balance is important. But then again, the casts need to consider WHY they need to move around, without it seeming so obvious that their moves are to balance the stage, and they should consider that by them moving, they are not distracting the audience from the main point at that particular time. For instance, pacing left/right, fidgeting, touching props unnecessarily, etc. A lot of the times, our main casts merely stand on their own two feet, and sing or act without any movement at all. The emotion in the songs, vocal intonation, and face expression is more than enough to explain the scene without movement.

The whole musical needs to take all these aspects into consideration. For instance, in a scene where Sam and Molly are singing Here Right Now on the left side, Carl is moving here and there at the back, taking down cloths and cleaning a bit, but he is never distracting audience. The light on him is dim, whereas Sam-Molly is singing in front on a box, with the light brightly shining on them. Stage is balanced, props are being used, lighting is significant, and the casts’ acting is brilliant. Thus we get an amazing production!! :)

Now, one of the most important things for a musical actor is the adlibs and vocal suitability. Yes, everyone can sing, and they are using mics, but are these sufficient? The casts need to ensure that they are stressing on important points with their vocal intonation and body language, otherwise audience may miss the point. If they want to stress on the word ‘kill’, the cast, could not just throw that dialogue as it is, the word needs to be spoken with harsh tone and a different pitch then the other words in that sentence. I will be explaining some intonation changes in my review. The casts also need to ensure that they are not out-shining other actors when the casts are singing together. If you watch the broadway version, there are times when you can’t make out the words of other casts as all of them are singing so loudly and on top of one-another.

In terms of song adlibs, Ivy is the best among the casts I’ve seen, which are Joowon, both Carl-s, both Molly-s and both Oda Mae-s. Being a singer for years, she has that amazing ability to change the songs here and there, and stresses certain words in the song where need be, thus making it extremely interesting. :D Jiyeon doesn’t change the songs, however, Jiyeon is better than Ivy in terms of adding stresses to spoken scripts, so we understand her urgency, her desperation, anger, love, etc. when she speaks as opposed to when she sings. She sings powerfully as well, but what I hear in the Three Little Words MV, is exactly the same as how Jiyeon sings it in her live performance. So both Molly-s are worth watching for as they are really brilliant in their own ways. :bd The elder Carl is more brilliant than Joowon’s Altarboyz-Carl co-star, and I find the smaller Oda Mae more outstanding than the chubbier Oda Mae. Excuse me for using physical reference to differentiate the casts, but as neither you nor I recognizes their names, it is better this way. :D

In my opinion, the best cast line-up with Joowon is as per below picture. I personally like both Molly-s as both of them are very unique, each adds colour to Molly’s character especially with their amazing vocal ability. However, there are certain characteristics of Ivy that I wish Jiyeon would have, and vice versa. Ivy is stronger for solo songs, and Molly has three of it. She uses her whole body, emotion, and expression when she sings the solo songs, thus the major clapping after she sings. However, she is too powerful for harmonization songs and often over-shadows Sam and Carl, which may not be too good as there need to be different levels of pitching in harmonization songs. Sam does middle pitch, Carl does lower pitch, whereas Molly does high pitch. In this case, the middle pitch needs to be the strongest, whereas higher and lower pitches should go softer in balancing the middle pitch. But if Molly is very high pitch, she overshadows the other two slightly, and the song goes a bit sharp. As for Jiyeon, she is stronger when harmonizing with other casts, as she supports them very well. The harmonization songs were extremely perfect! She blends in perfectly with both elder Carl and Joowon. Her soft vocals are made for sad songs, and I can fully feel her loneliness in one of the songs she sings with Carl and Sam. Her small body frame also made me sympathize with her, and just want to give her a big hug~ For solo songs, she gets a bit out of breath, but she still does amazingly. But out of the two times I watch Jiyeon, she did not get even any clapping after she sings her solo songs. Poor Jiyeon~ Anyway, as a whole, both of them are absolutely daebak! But if I had to choose, I would say Jiyeon, because I really love harmonization songs. :D :bd

BcbBU8DIgAEDgNJ.jpg

My preference for Carl and Oda Mae is set. Both fully bring out the best in respective characters. These preferences of mine are due to vocal stability. Jiyeon’s voice is soft and powerful, thus she blends in with Joowon’s vocals perfectly. Carl adds softness and his own power to the songs, and his vocals stresses on really important points, which is what I love about this Carl. The 3 of them are at their best when they harmonize together, during 2 occasions. I will explain them later~ J

The casts may need to do adlibs in cases where mistakes happen during the live run. There is no such thing as replay scene, so the casts need to be able to adapt to quick changes, should there be any. Since this is a major production and everyone are professionals, there are no circumstances where casts forgot lines or scripts, etc. But I’ve seen Joowon adlibs a few times, and he was amazing at that! I was very surprised as I didn’t expect him to do it. Audiences were surprised too, due to their reaction. :) More explanation later~

Sam’s death scene is different than Broadway version. I did not post the video because I don’t want you to be affected by how the scene works, so I only post screencaps and try my best to explain as detailed as possible. But you may watch the video too, for better indication on what’s happening, like the songs, etc. Please read my fanaccount first before watching the video. :)

PART 2: TILL DEATH DO US PART...

Carl continues singing More, then leave the stage with the other dancers. The lights are dimmed, but the dancers continue singing More, with background screen distracting audience from Sam and Molly who are sitting on a table, transported via the conveyor belt towards the center of the stage. Lights are turned back on, and we arrive at this scene:

0h0o.jpg

The couple obviously just had a candlelight dinner. Molly’s gallery work is going well, and they chatted in light-hearted tones about it. Then out of nowhere, Molly proposes:

Molly: Sam, let’s get married.

Sam: What?

Molly: I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and I think we should just go for it. *serious*

Sam: Are you serious? *laughs* Wow...

Molly: What is with the look?

Sam: We’ve never discussed this before.

*Molly seems upset that Sam doesn’t seem to understand her feelings*

Molly: Sam, do you LOVE me?

Sam: What do you think? *laughs, jokingly*

Molly: Then you should say it.

Sam: Sweetie, what’s wrong with you? I say it all the time.

Molly: No, you don’t. Saying it and singing it is different.

Sam starts singing Three Little Words.

Joowon is so cute when he sings this song! When he’s singing “I said it with my eyes” he made binocular motion with his fingers. :D I can’t help giggling at this part. Ivy sounds so beautiful when she sings the song, because she adlibs her parts, singing certain words longer and other shorter than in the recorded TLW MV. She really is an amazing singer. Jiyeon is great too, though she sounds similar to the recorded version, but with more emotion. She tries adlibs a bit, but Ivy was better. Sam adlibs himself, like saying “But Molly, you know it already” and “Sweetie, let’s go” in between verses then continues singing. In the beginning of the song, Sam was still cheeky and defensive, but he becomes increasingly frustrated as time passes by, whereas Molly was frustrated in the beginning, but softens as the song progresses towards the end. Halfway through the song, Sam gets up to leave and packs up his things, and Molly puts on her jacket and follows suit. The table props at the back slowly moves backstage to be replaced with a backstreet scene.

At the end of the song when Sam sings “I.... don’t know why I can’t express it with words”, Joowon’s expression and his vocal intonation was really good because I can tell even Sam is frustrated with himself. He LOVES Molly, but somehow he just could not say it. It’s definitely not due to embarrassment or he would not have kissed Molly in public, right? Ego perhaps? This reminds me of my 4 year-old nephew who refuses to kiss me unless I give him a toy or chocolate or ice cream. It’s the same situation. Anyway, I guess Molly knows she is pushing him too much, so she goes over to him (on the right side of the stage) and soothes him with her touch. Both of them embraced each other, foreheads touching. Though this is a simple gesture, it speaks so much emotion especially after the song. I really love this moment. <3

575b5f4b275eaf37314f85be512ae2eb.jpg

Sam and Molly hugs on the street, nearby one rubbish dumpster on the right side of the stage, and another placed at the back, near the middle of the stage. The situation turns tense, with dark lighting and tense music. At this time, I wish there was a biiiit more light on the stage. A dark figure approaches the couple. Sam immediately pushes Molly protectively towards his back, bravely facing the intruder.

Intruder: Hey, you! You jerk!

Molly: OMG, what do we do?

Sam: It’s ok. *to Molly*

combine_images-2.jpg

The intruder draws a gun and points it directly at Sam. Molly gasps and trembles in fear behind Sam’s back.

Intruder: I want your wallet.

Sam: Alright, alright. Here. *takes out all his money* Just take all this money, and leave my wallet. That should be enough, right?

Intruder: Didn’t you hear me?! I said I want your wallet!

A fight ensures. Molly screams. The intruder made a grab for Sam’s wallet, but Sam won’t let it go. Both man fights, grabbing for the gun yet pushing it away from themselves. Molly tries to help Sam, but the intruder pushes her away towards the front left side of the stage and she fell hard. Sam keeps yelling for Molly to run away, all the while fighting the intruder. But the intruder is obviously stronger. He hits Sam to the ground, drops down to his knees, presses the gun to Sam’s chest, and pulls the trigger. Molly screams “NOOOOOO!” at the same time we hear the gun-shot.

combine_images1.jpg

[2 version of events]

(1) But Sam gets up! The intruder immediately runs away to the right side of the stage and Sam follows close behind, yelling for him to stop. The stage lights follow the two men, and dimmed the back stage. But he ran out of sight, so Sam stopped to catch his breath. He must have thought “Luckily I’m fine, and this jerk didn’t hurt Molly. Fine, I’ll let him go for now”. Still looking at the place where the intruder runs off, Sam hears Molly asks “Sam, are you ok?” He turns around, and asks Molly “Molly, are you alright?” and rushes to Molly’s side (the lights turn on, focusing on Molly) where he sees.....

combine_images3-1.jpg

combine_images4.jpg

(2) Molly hears the gun-shot and prepares for the worst. Out of the corner of her eyes, she sees the intruder runs off, but she can’t bring herself to go after him. At this moment, she’s not scared of him anymore, but she’s scared that Sam..... Sam..... She slowly gets up, walks over to Sam and with a trembling voice, asks “Sam, are you ok?” Sam is not moving, lying motionless on the ground where the intruder shot him. Molly yells for help, crying all the while. She tries to talk to Sam, but he is not responsive in any way.

At this time, everyone’s voice sounds muffled yet echoed, sort of like in a dream. The focus is more towards Sam, as if we’re seeing this from his point of view. The blue light has started following Sam from this point forth. The song changes from tense to a sad song.

Molly kept crying and talking to Sam’s body, but to no avail. Sam sees his body, and stops, shocked. He stands up slowly, refusing to belief what’s directly in front of his eyes. Finally, he sees a man running towards him, and blurts out “excuse me...” but the man runs through him, to Molly, pulls out his phone and makes a call for the ambulance. Sam’s expression.... *cries* He sees another man rushing from the opposite side, and quickly rushes over to him too: “excuse me...” and again, the same thing happens. The man just runs through Sam, take a look at the Sam’s real-dead-body, and runs to the front left side of the stage screaming for help. Sam stares at his own hands and body, refusing to believe that if he is standing there, then who is there by Molly’s side, lifeless? Ambulance arrive and lifted Sam’s body on to the stretcher, and left. Sam sees Molly leave, yells runs over to the center stage, and yells “Wait, Molly, wait!! MOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!” Sam’s heartbeat was shown on the screen, beeping weakly. Doctors walk by wheeling patients on stretchers, then Molly walks across with a nurse. Sam sees her, runs over for a hug, but he passes through them. Finally, the heartbeat stops....

combine_images5.jpg

combine_images6.jpg

This scene is one of Joowon’s BEST expressions in the whole musical: disbelief + shock expression, then normal, and back to disbelief. I want to give him a standing ovation after this scene, but I obviously can’t. If we think ShiOn’s expression is upsetting enough, this is double the emotion. Joowon continues to surprise me with his acting skill, really. Each time he passes through someone there is this ‘whooshing’ sound effect, and he stopped, shocked. Amazing, REALLY AMAZING...

Joowon’s yelling voice is just like how he yells in Bridal Mask, but only better. He has improved his yelling in terms of pitching and voice crack. I don’t know how this is possible. LOL! But somehow, his yelling is just awesome to hear, with slight growling. And the emotion in his shouting vocals is very spot on. His voice cracks at the right time, like he practices it or something. From the clips I’ve seen of other Sam-s outside the venue (free show), they scream and yell too, but their vocals are somehow musical-like scream, whereas Joowon’s is very realistic. Everything about his yelling vocals are very spot on. When he cracks his voice due to the yelling, it made the situation more realistic, and shows just how desperate Sam is at that particular time.

@rionae: Thank you so much for helping us to understand what Cutie is saying :)
@farbarri: Thanks dear for the detailed fan account. I'm not able go to Korea to watch GHOST. Reading your fanaccount makes me feel like I'm watching GHOST live. Thank you so much NhocCashmere027.gif

simplydramafied1082 said: mrdimples said:Korean fans were very upset when news of Joo Won's participation in Fashion King was announced months ago. Apparently, though the webtoon is popular, it is just as unpopular. I do not know the reason why but I assume Korean fans have Joo Won's welfare at heart and do not want him to play a controversial character or in a movie based on a controversial webtoon. They have been voicing their displeasure to Sim and making it publicly known. I speculate this is the reason why Sim chose to dance around the issue and adopt the typical "considering it positively" stance.

My own theory is that Joo Won has to "pay a price" for choosing to act in a musical. He himself said in an interview that the agency would rather he not do musicals because they aren't revenue generators and take a lot of time. I imagined that in exchange, he must undertake to act in a movie(dramas are out, impossible to juggle with the musical) and do all the fanmeets, CFs, interviews, promotions etc etc. Although "Catch Me" performed decently or better than expected at the box office, it was mostly the result of blood and sweat from Joo Won. Sometimes when I look at Kim Ah Joong's unsmiling face, I wonder if she is tired and fed up of it all. Joo Won being Joo Won, still smiles brightly but we can see the extreme fatigue on his face. So it pains me that he will be repeating the same routine for "Fashion King" especially if it's a show he didn't choose and turns out to be less than worthy.

I also heard that Level 7 Civil Servant was "forced" upon him. This was picked up by fans who read a message from the producer or production thanking Sim CEO for "making it happen" Well, we know how that turned out.

I can only hope that somehow, Joo Won does not suffer too much from this and maybe even gains from it. From L7CS, he got 2 good friends in CKH and Chansung. Hopefully, a miracle will happen in Fashion King. After all, this is a man who sucks lemon like it''s a sweet. Give him a lemon and he will make lemonade.

Each drama or movie he undertakes has opportunity costs in terms of passing up other choices, time spent, effort put in and many more. Not to mention, impact on image which I am most worried about. As a fan, I would want to see him in a good project,something that can contribute to his growth as an actor, boost his popularity and does good to his image. So I can understand how Korean fans feel. However, we must remember that the person most affected by all these is Joo Won himself. If there is anytime he need more love, understanding and support from his fans, it's now.

apparently, today (28/12/2013) is a full-house for Ghost, with only 2 seats empty. DAEBAK!!!\(^-^)/
Untitled-6.jpg

let's check out 29th December tickets. 18 seats left out of 1,242 seats :D. i'm expecting more to be sold tomorrow prior to the show, but this is a great response so far. Ghost has had a great run throughout December. hopefully tickets are selling well too for the other actors.
Untitled1.jpg

stearly said: class="titleNews"Joo Won, f(x) Sulli and Kim Sung Oh to Act in ‘Fashion King’
Joo Won, f(x)’s Sulli and Kim Sung Oh will be acting alongside each other in the upcoming movie Fashion King.

Ylab, the movie production company, announced on December 27, “Joo Won, Sulli and Kim Sung Oh are confirmed to star in Fashion King.”

“Sulli will be one of the two lead actresses in the movie, taking the role of Gwak Eun Jin, and Kim Sung Oh will act as Joo Won’s mentor, Kim Nam Jung,” said Ylab. “The other lead actress has not been cast yet.”
According to Ylab, the movie will be written by Yoon In Wan, a well-known cartoonist, who has written international best seller cartoon series.

Fashion King is a movie based on a popular online cartoon series, depicting the story of a high school boy, who strives to earn the attention of his love interest from school. The cartoon series was a big success, earning over four million hits online.

The movie will start filming in the middle of January.

http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/en/article/54599/joowon-fx-sulli-and-kimsungoh-will-star-in-movie-fashion-king

Wew many great news, Catch Me was sold in 7 countries included my country. Really happy to hear that, but I think it will hard to watched because the biggest theatre (and the only theatre that showing korean/asian movie) was so far from my home I need two hours to reach that place:-( traffic is a nightmare.

So, there are another actress, I hope I will like her :-D even the story looks simple but I trusted JW will be played good and give his amazing act to that movie.

Hmm I think I should appologize to MBC for my last post about JW. I hear that JW has nominated for Male Excellent. I knew it impossible to win that award because the other nominee (Lee Jun Ki and Joo Ji Hoon) are seniors and also good in acted even 7G rate more high than two dramas. I just think, will JW coming to the award? Probably he will meet with his two lover, CKH and Uee LOL (the two ladies has nominated too). MBCA will be heald on December 30 just one day before KBSA. So, I think JW could be coming.

Wew many great news, Catch Me was sold in 7 countries included my country. Really happy to hear that, but I think it will hard to watched because the biggest theatre (and the only theatre that showing korean/asian movie) was so far from my home I need two hours to reach that place:-( traffic is a nightmare.

So, there are another actress, I hope I will like her :-D even the story looks simple but I trusted JW will be played good and give his amazing act to that movie.

Hmm I think I should appologize to MBC for my last post about JW. I hear that JW has nominated for Male Excellent. I knew it impossible to win that award because the other nominee (Lee Jun Ki and Joo Ji Hoon) are seniors and also good in acted even 7G rate more high than two dramas. I just think, will JW coming to the award? Probably he will meet with his two lover, CKH and Uee LOL (the two ladies has nominated too). MBCA will be heald on December 30 just one day before KBSA. So, I think JW could be coming.