Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Guest winry212

So I joined this thread yesterday and went to bed, got up to check on this thread again and there's like 70+ posts for me to catch up on!  OMG.  How do you guys keep up with one another?!  My head feels like it's exploding with Joo Won info from reading your posts (and also from trying to reject the moat concept).  I'm rewatching the 2nd season of 1N2D right now to observe Joo Won more closely... haha. 

@aisling LOL to fury unleashed eating gifs, thanks for sharing!

@aisling, yes this thread was pretty lonely when Gaksital first started airing then the gutter pals rapidly expanded it kekekekekek.

@ctfrsgp, for all you know his mum may be looking for a gf for him lollll. 

@mojobobo yah... Maybe they shortlist potential ones and conduct interviews at the church ever Sun :D

aisling said: @umbananaHello fellow InHyun shipper :) Glad to see familiar face here :)
----------------------
Guys, I just watch the part where cutie was eating that fish and Gaksital music played in background... I almost peed my pants laughing =)) =))
Also.... I really like this shot......... hm............ who am I kidding........... :D Sorry garden pals, I don't think I can resist anymore... I want to dive deep in the moat whenever I see him so yummylicious :D =))

lyra_brillantez said:

sunshine4ever

said: @

coolreborn

, wow you remember that on top of you head? Ep. 8? lol. What other dramas of Joo Won have you watched? I just realized last time at BM you were telling me that you landed by Soompi because of Google right? That's awesome. ^^ Since then, this thread has grown to 135 pages. You know I went back to page 10. It was still July 10th. I just went to sleep and you guys made 75 new posts.

@aisling thanks for all the gifs! I'm in a cab on the way to work while checking soompi, and what plays on the radio? Psy's gangnam song! Can't resist... need to go back and check your gif of JW dancing!!! Hehe!

Anyway, i love seeing him eat! He is soooo cute looking at the fish and nibbling at it. ^^,

Guest nhatkhanh

Dose anyone has the clip he eats fish on lastest ep 2N1D??? T____T
I've tried cutting but when I export the file has no sound T_________T
ottoke!!!!!!!!

lyra_brillantez said:

sunshine4ever

said: @

coolreborn

, wow you remember that on top of you head? Ep. 8? lol. What other dramas of Joo Won have you watched? I just realized last time at BM you were telling me that you landed by Soompi because of Google right? That's awesome. ^^ Since then, this thread has grown to 135 pages. You know I went back to page 10. It was still July 10th. I just went to sleep and you guys made 75 new posts.

I post this way back on page 10. Thanks to @sunshine4ever who thought the newbies here will like to read this without having to sieve through over 100 pages. This is an earlier interview on BM. 
Joowon who transforms into a strong man, the hero in Bridal Mask
4fcb5c9111e2e.jpg

Translation by mrdimples @ soompi

Interviewer is impressed with this young man. She starts off by saying June is the month that is the most full in life. And just like the month of June, Joo won, whose figure she likens to the figure six(for June, so whimsical!) as I suppose he is always slightly bowed in greeting, is extremely well-mannered, a little shy and full of youthful vitality.

JW: To date it is the strongest character I ever played Born into the Japanese occupation period, he had to be strong and hardened himself in order to provide and protect his family.After his brother became an imbecile, he decided to switch his loyalty to the Japanese, becoming the policeman. But after he knew the truth behind the Bridal Mask, he chooses to walk the lonely path of a nameless hero.

As Kang To changes, it also became more challenging and difficult to act the character. Just like Kang To who had to bury a deep-seated fire within him, with every scene and take, the blood surges. And at the end, the heart feels sad. As this is a very popular manhwa, the stakes are high and the burden great.

JW: People around me are saying what a great manhwa this is. They told me I must act the role of Kang To well. Although I am worried that I may not meet their expectations, it is fortunate that after every filming, I am at peace/satisfied and also comforted.

I received a lot of care from the director. In reality, filming a drama is always a very hurried and rushed affair. But amidst the chaos, he is unhurried. In fact, he very patiently allows the actor to slowly immersed himself into the role and scene. Even under tiring circumstances, he never shouted once. He is very gentle yet a man who can lead.

Another reason why the role is so challenging is the many action scenes. As KT is the Korean hero, these are necessary. These actions are also different from contemporary dramas a they require more physical movements/actions.

As the moves were based on karate, it was difficult to master. Being the well rounded athlete that Joowon is, it still didnt come easy. There were many movements that carry a risk of injury. In the beginning I kept telling myself that I must not get injured. But now that I have already injured myself and filming these scenes, I find that I can be more careful and so more focused. Thanks to his background in musical theatre dance, it helped him in remembering the action choreography.

Getting Along with co-stars

JSY is a mood maker(? something like that). She is always cheerful and cute. Even with the bloodied makeup, she still walks around the set innocently and happily. When she dons on the moustache in her disguise as a man, she was just like a playful KID(ok, bold is my own idea). Thanks to her, it help to alleviate the burden and added the fun during the filming. Joowon got along especially well with SHJ. Even at their first meeting, they shared similar views and feelings. At the script reading, it was SHJ who first talked to JW. ‘He helped me tremendously in understanding and analysing the role. During the filming, he was also very relaxed, I was very happy. Now that he has left, it has become empty.(mmmm….why am i feeling a tad happy??)

I am the type of person who loves to be hang out with hyungs. There were only two of us, brothers in our family. Although I was the youngest, I had a great relationship with my elder brother who is 5 years older. Since young, we played together and did everything together. It was so good that people around us were very envious. Ojakgyo Brothers is a family drama which touched on relationship among brothers. To be able to act with hyungs, i felt very happy. And now, it so happened that I am experiencing the same thing on 1N2D. With my hyungs, i feel very at ease.

One of the reasons why JW agreed to take on the challenge of participating in a variety show is that UTW is also on it. With his voice an octave higher, he naturally turns on his aegyo whenever he is in front of his hyungs.

In the beginning, when JW was contemplating taking up the show, he was worried whether he could bring laughter to the viewers, he was also concerned that he might let slip and do something damaging to his part as an actor.

However, I thought I should not look at it from the perspective of an actor but from a standpoint of the ‘ordinary guy Joowon’ , I will be able to travel the entire country, visit all the corners, in the company of people I like, enjoying nature…is this something that I can possibly do at any time? That’s when I decided to join 1N2D.

Filming together, eating together, spending a night together, the initial awkwardness, embarrassment vanished. To a point where you do not even notice there is a camera in front of you. We formed a natural bond.

Although each filming left a deep impression, the Jeju one with the dolphins was something that I will not forget for a long time. It is because I discovered my country’s rare dolphins. although i didnt get to see them, I watched it on the phone and never fail to exclaim ‘woa woa’ whenever i see it. The wonders of nature. I hope i will be able to witness it first hand next time. (*p.s pardon my liberal takes in brackets.)

IN2D to Joowon, is like a time for relaxation and a break from work. He can comfortably play and have fun while filming. Although, there is no distinction between the members and he can just enjoy the filming, and this will still bring a smile to the viewers and touch them, he cannot help but wonders if he can do something more to put forth a more meaningful show.

Contrary to his concerns, on his perfect face(another interviewer bites the dust!), there seemed to be 1N2D intelligence written on it. He even exhibits a talent for variety show at times. The master of variety show, CTH praised him for adapting so well and says that JW makes him envious.

In the movie “Don’t Click” Joowon thinks he really saw a ghost on the set. Once he thought he had waved goodbye to his co-star Kang Byul and her manager as they drove off in a car. However when he got back to the dressing room, he saw Kang Byul still there. He later asked the manager who said only she left that night. ‘So who was that Kang Byul who waved goodbye to me? JW was so scared that his hair stood.

Joowon’s dreams of becoming an actor started in high school/middle school/secondary school year 3 (help! not familiar with korean system or maybe chinese interpretation. Anyway I think it’s like around 15 or something)

When he started secondary school, perhaps in part due to the onset of puberty, he became very introverted and cautious. He was also short which affected his confidence. Seeing him not mingling with his peers, his parents got worried.

They advised him to take up a course in broadcasting(maybe speech or something) class but it was full So he ended up in drama classes instead. He got along very well with his classmates, they acted and danced together. Naturally after that he progressed to take up Arts in college and in Sungkyunkwan university.

Compared to other courses, Arts course are more expensive. He felt very apologetic to his parents , he was determined to get a scholarship but he wasnt confident in his studying abilities. He decided to aim for another scholarship instead(sorry can’t get meaning here but if i directly translate, it is a scholarship given for best studying effort or something along this line). He then threw himself behind every role he could take, be it sound system, lighting, choreography etc. He really devoted his whole heart into it. At times, he wondered if it’s the thing he wants, but when he steps on stage, the emotions and joy he gets at that moment is unforgettable.

To be a humane actor (ok this word humane is a direct translation. I know how the original chinese word is used but it’s kind of difficult to translate into english. maybe if someone can translate from korean to english it would be better. In short, i think what he means to be some one who has an interest in his fellow men, some one  with a heart)

In the middle of the interview, Joowon suddenly laughs, embarrassed. Turns out that the TV was showing an ad of Cantata Coffee that he and Uee did together. It was the first time he saw it on TV. (i suspect this TV was planted, how else is he facing a TV during an interview. Any one with me??). Joowon still gets very shy and awkward when he sees himself on TV. JW says whenever he is told to act cool and suave, he gets nervous. Although he is lively and vigorous in dramas, variety shows and movies, some things cannot be changed.

In truth, he left a deep impression during the 2010 KBS drama awards. When his co-star Yoon Shi Yoon went on stage to receive his award Joowon’s eyes were brimming with tears. Looking at him, one can tell that he is a man who greatly values relationship.

JW: Although it is quite embarrassing t say it out of my own mouth, I am really not the unfeeling type of person. At that time, YSY and I experienced a lot of hardships during the filming, we also grew closer to each other. When I saw he receive the award, my eyes got teary. Moreover I am the type who is used to expressing my feelings openly, whether I am sad or happy, I cannot hide it (Yes! we know, my cutie)

Deep in his heart, Joowon is someone who is very warm and affectionate. When he first debut, he had a dream. he wanted to be a humane actor. What he will hate to hear is “you have changed with success”. Although he also agreed that he had changed in some ways, he is determined not to forget his dream and to continue working hard.

The actor he most aspires to be is Korean’s King of Movies, Ahn Sung Ki(hope i got the chinese names translated right). He met him for the first time in the earlier Baeksang Awards. 

JW: He turned out to be everything i imagined him to be. Looking at the way ASK sunbae greets the juniors and how he took care of everyone, it left me with a deep impression. That day was a very joyous one. I had won the newcomer award and ASK sunbae won the best actor award. (sorry HT’s part is strictly private). I felt very honored. That night, he sat beside me, I felt very nervous and exhilarated. Kim Yun Seok who also belongs to the same agency(gosh this agency is really something!) was also nominated for the same award. I didnt know who to root for. In the end ASK won, I was very happy.

end of interview

Interviewer’s thoughts: Chatting with Joowon, I  felt that this is youth who is growing so dynamically. His dream of becoming a humane actor is just a matter of time.

Anticipating the action packed, beautifully shot Bridal Mask. Joowon also asked for support for the drama. I thought even if he didn’t asked, i will definitely not miss it. (we know how you feel. Even the man killer Ueno Rie had to turn to take a 2nd look!)

Chinese translation: on baidu
English translation: mrdimples@soompi
Thank you @sunshine4ver for helping me with the editing

An earlier interview I placed on BM thread. I don't think I posted it here, as you can see, I am not a very organised person.
The Dual Life of Joowon
 From fighting scenes, emotional scenes to romantic scenes, Joowon has totally mesmerized the audience.

Adapted from Huh Young-Man’s manhwa “Bridal Mask”, as the Imperial Japan loyalist Lee Kangto and as the one who follows the footsteps of his elder brother to become the nameless hero Bridal Mask, Joowon plays a dual role. In the drama, his acting ability has increased over time, rising to be a top actor, gaining a foothold as the king of viewership.

In reality, the casting of Bridal Mask has been difficult; it was not smooth from the beginning. Due to the theme of Imperial Japan’s occupation, many Hallyu stars have rejected the role. Under these circumstances, Joowon a new actor took on the role and it became a topic of discussion.  Many people felt he could not carry the drama and were unconvinced and had many concerns. But the result was the opposite and instantly all the concerns were swept away. Joowon’s acting was even more solid and won a lot of accolades. The drama also brought in the highest viewership on Wed & Thurs. On the net, many left comments such as “This role belongs to Joowon”, “It will not do without Joowon”, “Cannot imagine another actor besides Joowon to play this role” and many praises. This interviewer caught up with Joowon on the set of Bridal Mask.

Q: How do you feel about Bridal Mask capturing the hearts of the family viewers?

JW: Gathering the highest viewership amongst the 3 dramas, I am very happy. However, the burden was very heavy from the beginning. Especially after Kangsan died and Shin Hyun Joon left the set, I and the other younger actors felt the burden increased. I also worried about the audience’s reaction to the way my character was in the beginning, towards his country, his friend and love.

Q: Leading the drama to be the top must have weighed heavily on your shoulders?

To be the lead actor and make the drama the top, there is a lot of pressure. Also the role of the  bridal mask is a very different, I was very worried. In the beginning, I thought “ The script is good, the director is good, everything is good, if the viewership is not good, then it’s because of me” and I got more burdened, thinking that way.

As a result, I prepared a lot for this role. Horse riding and martial arts are fundamental to the role. Also, to understand the character Lee Kangto, I made a lot of effort. Lee Kangto loved his family more than anyone else, yet he did a lot of things that upset his family. He could do anything for his family, yet he also brought harm to them. This complexity of his inner being, in order to express the right feelings, I discussed a lot with the director

Q: Was it convenient to wear the mask?

To prevent the mask from slipping, I have to tie the rope very tightly, making my nose hurt. My eyes are also how I expressed my feelings, but because of the mask, my gaze cannot be seen, it was regretful. The mask also blocks my line of vision, hence it was also dangerous. There were a lot of inconveniences (laughs). There was a good thing; I didn’t have to put on make-up so it was convenient.

The unexpected thing was the mask goes well with the Korean traditional wear. There was a lot of discussion, whether to use the best looking clothes or the Korean wear. My thought was to follow the original work and wear the Korean costume. When it comes to fighting, it actually looked good and when you run, it makes a “pucha pucha” sound which was very cool.

Q: Did the first Gaksital(Kangsan) Shin Hyun Joon give you any advice or suggestion?

When I was with Hyun Joon Hyung, we praised each other. Whatever he did, I said it was good. Whatever I did, hyung will say I did well. When hyung finished his filming, he will watch the show and said I did very well; it gave me a lot of strength.

Q: How about with Jin Se Yeon?

Every time I got to the martial arts training room, JSY will be there. In the beginning, she couldn’t even do a somersault. But she got better and better with time and now she could even hang from the wire. Due to her cheerful personality, whenever we are filming together, she always makes people feel good. That’s why all the elders and staff love her very much. Every time JSY appears, the mood of on the set becomes very good.

Q:  I am very curious what happened behind the kiss scene with Han Chae Ah?

We were filming at XX(can’t translate the name of the place) , there were a lot of poultry farms and factories nearby. Hence, there were a lot of insects. When we were filming the kiss scene, there was a fly that flew around HCA. So what was originally a simple shoot, turned out to have many takes, my luck was very good (laughs)

In the show, he is a hero. Out of the show, he is an aegyo man.

By nature, Joowon has lots of aegyo, he is very good to his hyungs. We can see in 2N1D, with Kim Seung Woo, Uhm Tae Woong, when he displays his aegyo side, he’s just like a child. HTW said: “If there is a mini-Joowon, will be very adorable” He behaves likewise during the filming of Bridal Mask. He does it all the time with his onscreen friend & foe, Kimura Shunji played by Park Ki Woong. Whenever there is a NG, he will immediately go and hug PKW. He’s turn to being adorable and cute has shocked other co-stars. Han Chae Ah said: “He is usually like a little child, loves to joke and also does a lot of aegyo” But once the director says Cue, he will immediately become Lee Kangto, his immersion into the role amazes people, acting skills are good. Co-stars who act with him says that he is able to focus very well and they feel that Joowon is an excellent actor. On the show and out there, many praised his acting skills.

Q: This role involves a lot of emotion and martial arts; you must have expended a lot of strength.

JW: Kicking Hyun Joon Hyung, seeing mother had died, at the grave of hyung and mother, the emotions while filming those scenes were very intense. Many times, I strained the veins in my neck, felt my blood pressure going up. After that whenever an emotionally intense scene came up, I will have a headache, the director was worried about me.

Q:  The crying scene at the discovery of his mother’s death, gave viewers a very deep impression. The way Joowon immersed himself in the scene was admirable.

JW: The sequence of the filming and the actual broadcast was entirely different. In reality, when we were filming that scene, it was my 2nd time meeting Song Ok Sook, who played my mother. Although it was acting, no matter what, it was necessary to have built some relationship then it’d have been easier to get into the role. However, there was no choice so I had to create my own feelings, it wasn’t easy. Especially during the beginning when Kangto had so much pain, it also agonized me.

Q: Your acting has won good critics. Have you thought of the reason?

I learnt a lot from filming Special Investigation Unit. The film set was like my learning centre. Uhm Tae Woong hyung, Seong Dong-il, Jeong Jin-yeong ,the seniors were all my role models for learning and they each had a different way of acting. Gradually, I found my own method. At first, I thought I should just act my role very well, now I realize that the atmosphere on the set is even more important. Previously, I only prepared myself; I never really grasp the dynamics on the set. From then on, I started to pay attention to the situation at the filming set.

Q: Recently, on 1N2D, the way you slept on your member’s tummy created a lot of talk. How tired were you that it led to that?

JW: There are 2 teams doing the filming. If team A films from 6am in the morning to 8pm. Then team B will film from 8.30 to the next morning. (this was left out but he said elsewhere that they continue to work throughout even as team A&B changed shifts), under that condition, I filmed 1N2D, without knowing, I opened my mouth (laughs).

All the cast worked in this manner, we couldn’t even see our beds. Usually in filming outdoors, we’ll sleep at the hotel. But we couldn’t even do that. We’d just go to a nearby washroom to wash up and then we’d return to the film site. When we see our co-stars, we’ll be very happy as we are in the same boat. Since everyone worked in this manner, there was no unhappiness. Being tired physically does not matter. However, unfamiliarity with the script resulting in errors makes one worried. When there is a lot of dialogue with PKW in important scenes, I’d worried and think that I must not make mistakes.

Q: In 1N2D, we saw a lot of facial products; you seem to pay a lot of attention on your skincare.

JW: Originally, I only used moisturizer. I don’t know when it started but things began to pop up on my face, it must be that I have the make-up on for too long a period. During the entire day, I’d be without makeup for only 30 minutes. Thus I have been more careful recently.

Q: You seemed to have lost a lot of weight.

JW: In order to have more sleep, I gave up meal times. That’s why I lost weight. Frequently, I will be having my make-up done and eating snacks at the same time. I ate a lot of things in place of rice, like yoghurt and milk cereals. I even have a nickname ‘Yoghurt Youth’ (laughs)

Q: This show has been extended from the original 24 episodes by another 4. You don’t seem to be unhappy about it.

JW: When I first heard it, I felt the director’s and producer’s thoughts were the most important. If it is due to viewership and got extended, then it’d be a problem. However, if it is to bring forth a better production then it is necessary to get the extension. This is good news to the actors. Anyway, we’ll just need to film another 2 weeks only. 

Chinese translation: - (translator on baidu)

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: unknown

Guest cutify

GOOD DAY EVERYONE!

:-* kisses to all

:-* kisses to dearie (this time with little movement) ;))

Last night i was too exhausted after driving for 6 hrs straight and was not make to visit this thread and i miss you guys already...anyway, after reading @mrdimples post on interview and photo of jw, i feel like i gain back my energy....tyvm dear... The last photo is killing me alright, why would he have to cover it, it isnt distracting at all it a nice view what? :-/ now i remember on softy's mentioning that ignoring the green monter is like ignoring an elephant on a living room, af first i thought of all the animals on this planet why would she uses the elephant as an example but then suddenly i realised the elephant has trunk and it isnt big it's huge!! So i was LOLing to death >:) =))

OMG! I think im seriously infected by the lake moat disease and mental disorder.! @koreantiti you are right, my situation has worsened... ~X( #-o i think i need a therapy....;))

hahahaha.... Just kidding :-j

WOW! Lots of Joo Won goodies, is it my birthday already? <:-P
Thank you @mrdimples for the awesome interview trans that you've shared to us and the pretty cool Moat vs. Garden quiz with the visually standing stunning pictures of cutie! ;)
@aisling those are very cute 1n2d gif's! The fourth one makes me want to pinch Joo Won's cheeks instead! ;)

Before I joined soompi which was in June, I was hanging out all the time at Softy's. I have done a number of translations on Joo Won but in those days, I never keep my own copy. I will need to trawl through all the pages of OBsessions to retrieve them. Whenever I find something, I will post it here. If I did not remember wrongly, the first time I visited this thread, it had 7 pages. When BM started, I wasn't a frequent visitor here either as I was at BM most of the time. But @coolreborn and @ctfrsgp never gave up, they kept 'bugging' me to come over. Joo Won is the only one I follow and am devoted to. So, I guess I can do much more. 

Going off now to dig stuff....and getting distracted by all these awesome pic and gifs

@mrdimples I followed u to Soompi fr Softy's. Bef tat i dun even know abt soompi existence :D oso @coolreborn & me lured u here bcoz we enjoyed your company too much... Though u r a bad influence to us >:) =))

cutify said: GOOD DAY EVERYONE!

:-* kisses to all
:-* kisses to dearie (this time with little movement) ;))

Last night i was too exhausted after driving for 6 hrs straight and was not make to visit this thread and i miss you guys already...anyway, after reading @mrdimples post on interview and photo of jw, i feel like i gain back my energy....tyvm dear... The last photo is killing me alright, why would he have to cover it, it isnt distracting at all it a nice view what? :-/ now i remember on softy's mentioning that ignoring the green monter is like ignoring an elephant on a living room, af first i thought of all the animals on this planet why would she uses the elephant as an example but then suddenly i realised the elephant has trunk and it isnt big it's huge!! So i was LOLing to death >:)=))

OMG! I think im seriously infected by the lake moat disease and mental disorder.! @koreantiti you are right, my situation has worsened... ~X(#-o i think i need a therapy....;))

hahahaha.... Just kidding :-j

ctfrsgp said:

mrdimples

wrote:

»

Before I joined soompi which was in June, I was hanging out all the time at Softy's. I have done a number of translations on Joo Won but in those days, I never keep my own copy. I will need to trawl through all the pages of OBsessions to retrieve them. Whenever I find something, I will post it here. If I did not remember wrongly, the first time I visited this thread, it had 7 pages. When BM started, I wasn't a frequent visitor here either as I was at BM most of the time. But

@coolreborn

and

@ctfrsgp

never gave up, they kept 'bugging' me to come over. Joo Won is the only one I follow and am devoted to. So, I guess I can do much more. <br />

Going off now to dig stuff....and getting distracted by all these awesome pic and gifs

ctfrsgp said:

@mrdimples I followed u to Soompi fr Softy's. Bef tat i dun even know abt soompi existence oso @coolreborn & me lured u here bcoz we enjoyed your company too much... Though u r a bad influence to us

coolreborn said:

@ctfrsp: LOL. Yeah @mrdimples maybe the one who awakened/unraveled the monster gutter moat in me. :))

@coolreborn & @ctfrsgp

Are you gals sure I started all these things????

@mrdimples @coolreborn Itz definitely NOT me :))