Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

But hands down Cha Yoo Jin is at a level in fashion that goes so well in my opinion that I would always like to biased and put him on top regardless of his interest or lack of it in trendiness. I think I either saw or read from some interview that JW's suits are usually tailor made specially the one he wears in award functions but I feel like those shirt's he wore in TC was so for him. I loved everything he wore there and the vibe he tried to give.

Oh, if I were to rank the boys on "Best Dressed", it'd be Cha Yoo Jin, hands-down for me as well :glasses: But the ranking in that list is based on how much I thought each character cared about fashion/appearance/etc., and I just don't see Yoo Jin like that. I mean, some viewers would - and they definitely have good reason to - but I just don't.

But, yes, the clothes that JW wore during Nae Il's Cantabile, like, really suited both the character and how he himself looked at the time. For example, JW as Yoo Jin could pull off a more "slim fit" shirt compared to how he's built in subsequent roles (e.g. Yong Pal or Alice), especially tucked into his pants like that to emphasize his waist - it actually made Yoo Jin look slimmer than JW actually was, and it added to the whole "tall, thin scholar" vibe I think the drama was aiming for.

And speaking of pants, I remember that being one of the items that JW said was rather frustrating to shop for: because he's got this naturally slim waist, but also really muscular legs (hey, he said it first - not me!), so he couldn't wear the slim/almost skinny jeans that were popular among 20-something-year-old guys at that point in time. He's luckier now that the trend has shifted to a more straight-fit cut (e.g. all those jeans we see Park Jin Gyeom wearing), as that style actually fits him quite easily.

Also, I've said this before re: Cha Yoo Jin, but I'll say it again: JW's the actor who I think can best pull off that hairstyle out of all the ones I've seen. And I'm sometimes happy to see him whenever he ends up reviving it (like he did right before enlisting).

Anyways, Joo Won's team is doing such a great Job with styling him according to the respective characters that there are times I feel off about other people's styling right from the start of a drama (even tho I look forward to their projects) because they don't even do half of what JW does to be a character.

There are a couple of factors at play here. One is whether the styling suits the character - and some dramas are more successful than others in that regard. I can't think of any bad examples off the top of my head right now, but when it does match (i.e. when a character's style does hint at who they are as people - yet not so obviously that it looks fake), viewers will notice, as you pointed out.

So, for instance, out of JW's dramas, I particularly like what the stylists ended up doing for Nae Il's CantabileYong Pal, and Alice. Not just for JW, but in general - whether I actually like the clothes or not (some characters' fashion choices in Cantabile were rather questionable), I do think the clothes match elements of each character's personality.

He changes his hairstyle every time in each of his projects. He and his team is so meticulous about this that it's surprising each time. And I think most long time JW fans looks forward to how he'd look in his next projects because we know he'd look different. A big part of why we can see the particular character in JW when he's playing that is because how he styles himself. Next comes how he maintains his posture, gesture, tone and other details in acting.

The other factor is what you described here: that JW and his team put a lot of thought into creating an entire persona for each character he plays. 

The bit about JW's hairstyle is, if I recall correctly, a carryover from theatre: hair plays a huge role in getting into a character. So, for instance, even a blond actor playing a blond character might wear a wig with the character's style on stage - and after finishing a show's run, one of the things many stage actors immediately change is their hairstyle as a way to bid their character(s) farewell.

Sometimes, for JW, that's not always possible - like if he's juggling multiple projects/roles at once - but you can see when he actually does it (e.g. dyeing his hair immediately after finishing My Sassy Girl).

The way JW these days talks like "I want to be good Sunbae to youngers like how my Senior Sunbaes who I look up to, are with us." tells me that he is now a sunbae that young actors can feel closer to considering they have good attitude towards acting and acting environment and seniors. He just looks like so ready to be taking care of others. 

I get that sense from him, too :) It's disappointing that he wasn't able to do that with the My Sassy Girl auditions (since that was his intention for casting the female lead), but at least he's getting those opportunities to build up his hoobaes now.

JW's agency's pic from his interview

• Like 3

Joo Won's 6 minutes appearance in SBS Nightline

It looked really cool to watch him in a news set. I think we've seen him before too (in korean as well as in a Thai news channel) but not in this scale I guess(correct me if I am wrong). Anyways I loved watching him with large picture of him in the background screen. He also talked very well. Well done. :thumbsup:

SBS also released a Q/A pattern article on the whole conversation. I will upload it later after a bit tuning from Google translation result.

and JW interviews keeps coming up...:issohappy:

뮤지컬 [고스트] 주원 인터뷰 Part 1_무대를 사랑하는 배우 2013년, 드라마로 큰 사랑을 받던 그가 무대를 선택했던 이유 오디션을 봐야했던 이야기부터 전역 후 7년만에 <고스트>에 다시 돌아오기까지! 그의 이야기를 들어볼까요?

Musical [Ghost] Interview with Joowon Part 1_Actor who loves the stage The reason why he chose the stage in 2013, who was loved by drama From the story of having to audition, 7 years after he was discharged < ghost > Until he come back to! Shall we listen to his story?

Enp_gSmUwAIb7rD?format=jpg&name=large

This is the original Post from Seensee: https://twitter.com/i_seensee/status/1331516840477028353

The video Link: 

Joo Won talked about how he missed working in stage. After TV debut in 2010 he used to be always busy with working in dramas and films and he kept fearing if he could stand in stage again. To relive his attachment for musical stage, he wanted to join in Ghost when he got the opportunity to audition back in 2013. Though he felt happy working in Ghost Musical in 2013, he had some regret for his performance and in some other aspects. He couldn't enjoy his stage comeback as much as he wanted to at that time because his concentration was divided due to other works.

That time the members of Ghost team jokingly said "Let's do it again after Joo Won comes back from military service." That stayed in his mind and due his personal attachment for this musical he always kept listening to Ghost songs. So it was easy for him to decide to join in Ghost again in 2020 because of all happy memories from last time and this time he wants to concentrate more on this so he can enjoy performing in this stage as much as he can.

The reason he keeps looking forward to work in stage is because he feels like it purifies him and it keeps away unnecessary thoughts away from him.. That's what stage means to him.

-------------

And they said it's part 1. So looking forward to Part 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[Invitation seat] Actor Joo-won returns to stage with musical 'Ghost' after 7 years

The actor who received fans' love from popular SBS drama Alice, which ended recently, will stand on the musical stage this time. He is said to be returning to the musical after 7 years, and today (25th) we have actor Joo Won.

0000856792_002_20201125040212873.jpg?type=w430Original view

Actor Joo-won
Q. The drama 'Alice' ends in popularity... What do you think?

[Joo Won/Actor: First of all, the ratings were basically good, and many viewers loved it, and personally I am proud and satisfied that I made a attempt in something new.]

Q. Why did you choose it as your first comeback after being discharged from the military?

[Joo Won/Actor: First of all, I wanted to try something new. Any genre or content or character would be a little new. So, looking for such things, there was Alice. In addition, the script itself was very solid, and I decided to choose it because it seemed that it could arouse the interest of the viewers.]

0000856792_003_20201125040212880.jpg?type=w430Original view

Drama 'Alice'
Q. Acting as a congenital apathetic person... Wasn't it difficult?

[Joo Won/Actor: It should be seen as apathetic character to the viewers, but the role of an actor is also the role of expressing exact emotions ... In fact, it was very difficult in that part, and if you are an actor, I think it was a very good opportunity to be a high school student and an old man in one work.]

Q. A character whose personality changes... Any tips for acting?

[Joo Won/Actor: Actually, there is no trick. There is no trick, but anyway, I have to focus on the other side instantly, and it was a role that listens to a lot of sounds from other dimensions. So I think it was a part that definitely needed a change of my thinking about that particular part. So when I filmed that scene, I talked a lot with a lot of directors and filmed.]

Spoiler

0000856792_004_20201125040212884.jpg?type=w430

Musical 'Ghost'

Original view

Q. Musical return after 7 years... What kind of work is it?

[Joo Won/Actor: Yes, this time, after 7 years, I've been working on the musical 'Ghost' again, based on the movie 'Love and Soul'. I did the musica; premiere 7 years ago, but this time I did it again.]

Q. The same role as 7 years ago… What has changed?

[Joo Won/Actor: I was 27 years old when I played that role 7 years ago. So, in fact, I think I was younger at time to play Sam Whit. But I think I'm at my best age to play Sam Whit right now... There seems to be a more masculine and solid appearance than 7 years ago, and I wonder if there was a more relaxed appearance on the stage.]

0000856792_005_20201125040212888.jpg?type=w430Original view

Q. The premiere actors join together... How is your breathing?

**(I think by breathing they means harmony or synergy)

[Joo Won/Actor: Breathing is so good, in fact, because we were together 7 years ago, we know the parts that we liked each other, and we also know the parts that we were disappointed with. So we tried to fill in the parts we were disappointed with this time, and we tried to strengthen the parts that were good. Anyway, because I have good breath, I think everyone is doing a happy performance.]

Q. There are many pleasant scenes with psychics( Oda Mae) in the play?

[Joowon/Actor: Sam and Molly are actually lovers, and Sam dies early in the play, so there is no scene that can be shown for comedy. However, Oda Mae scenes have a lot of gag codes. In particular, Choi Jeong-won and Park Jun-myeon are very pleasant in regular life, but they are really free and really flying when they're on the stage. So, they do ad lib a lot. So, when the audience sees our performance, they laugh a lot when they see a character named Odamae.]

Spoiler

0000856792_006_20201125040212896.jpg?type=w430

Original view

Q. The movie is the original... How did you implement 'soul'?

[Joo Won/Actor: Our musical ghost set itself is actually a front LED set, the stage moves freely, and there are a lot of magic effect. So, even those who don't know the original movie of 'Love and Soul' come and see the stage equipment, magic, etc. and they feel content and drunk by watching those. So it's very cool.]

Q. Is there a scene you would like to recommend in 'Ghost' ?

[Joo Won/Actor: Musical Ghost, as many of you may remember, there is a song called Unchained Melody in original movie, and it comes in 4 versions in musical. So, in fact, those who remember the song will probably be interested in seeing this song being expressed in many different ways.]

Q. Why keep the stage even in difficult times?

[Joo Won/Actor: In my personal opinion, I can't really ask the audience to come to the concert hall at this situation. But if there is a way I can directly comfort someone other than the screen, I thought that it was a stage. I
 am working on acting with this mindset every time. ]   

Reporter Pyeon Sang-wook ( pete @ sbs.co.kr )

News Link 1: https://news.sbs.co.kr//news/endPage.do?newsId=N1006089965&plink=SHARE&cooper=SBSNEWSMOBEND&plink=SHARE&cooper=SBSNEWSMOBEND

News Link 2: https://n.news.naver.com/mnews/article/055/0000856792?sid=103

• Thanks 4

Extra-special goodie today: the video feature of JW's DAZED pictorial!

I think my favourite looks on him are the final one with the light-coloured trench coat and brown sweater, as well as both of the ones with white sweaters :) 

• Like 2

So, I know that things have been quieter here than usual - although I do feel like we're on the cusp of things picking up once December comes around and the awards season really starts in earnest. JW's got the recent interview and magazine feature (both of which are awesome), but other than that, it's mostly just Ghost until either 1) it finishes its run next year (which we want :) ); or 2) it ends up closing early because COVID-19 finally manages to get out of whack in Korea (which none of us want :().

So I've been taking advantage of this lull to get some fic-writing done (finally!), but maybe I've been inspired by JW's own Ghost run, as I also managed to put together another Musical Theatre Challenge.

This one's more like the first one I did than the villains/antagonists special from Halloween, in that I'll end up spreading this out over several rounds. To start, a quick reversal, as I'm actually beginning with the girls.

Spoiler

Musical Theatre Challenge, Take Two: The Girls (Round One)

So, the question here is the same as always: which female character from JW's dramas do you think of when you hear each song, and why? Any female characters (main, supporting, minor) are fair game; the only rule is that you can't repeat any of them (i.e. 8 prompts = 8 girls).

(Also, it's come to my attention from previous rounds that video links that work for me here in Canada may not work everywhere due to YouTube's zoning restrictions. Given that, if any of the videos don't play for you, please let me know, and I'll try to find an alternative audio-only source if there is one :thumbsup:)

Again, there are no right or wrong answers here - it's all just for fun! :) 

1. "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella (Lyrics)

Character: Ella

Context: Stuck with an abusive stepmother and stepsisters, Ella copes by withdrawing into her vast imagination. (What's funny about this video in particular is that the actress seems to have filmed this at home while in COVID lockdown.)

2. "Helpless" from Hamilton

Character: Eliza

Context: The middle daughter of a wealthy family falls in love at first sight with a poor (but clever) soldier at a ball hosted by her father.

3. "Requiem" from Dear Evan Hansen

Character: Zoe

Context: After the death of her troubled older brother by suicide, a teenage girl wrestles with social expectations that she'd be grief stricken and her own knowledge of just how much pain he had brought the entire family while he was still alive. After all, if she remembers him as a monster, how could she cry for him?

4. "I Don't Need Your Love" from Six

Character: Catherine Parr

Context: Forced to marry King Henry VIII (a tyrannical man she doesn't love), Catherine has to give up the man she truly loves (he's the one she starts off addressing) and her own career as a rare (for her time) female scholar. However, that doesn't mean she has to like it - nor does she believe she should only be known for having married a king.

5. "Stepsister's Lament" from Cinderella (Lyrics)

Character: Charlotte

Context: Watching as the Prince dances with a mysteriously beautiful girl (actually her stepsister, Ella - but she doesn't know) at a ball, Charlotte and the other jilted attendees console themselves by deciding there must be something wrong with him.

6. "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music

Character: Maria

Context: On her way to her first day at work as the Von Trapp family's governess, Maria attempts to pep talk herself out of her own nervousness.

(By the way: since this was actually filmed in Salzburg, I should point out that the ending of this scene - when she finally arrives - inspired a moment in this installment of Seolleim in Salzburg. Excerpt below if anyone's interested.)

Spoiler

“Where are we going, Orabang?”

“It’s a surprise; you’ll see when we get there.”

Nae Il shoots me a strange look for that, but then settles back down in her seat on the bus. She has, as is usual for her, taken a spot by the window, while I, sitting beside her, also peer over her head to get a look outside.

To be fair, there is not much on this bus route that indicates what our final destination would be. But that is how I want it.

Knowing Nae Il, the longer it takes for her to realize where we are going, the greater the payoff will be once we arrive.

Just yesterday, on Friday night, I had gotten a text from Muhammed confirming that our proposed Whitsun performance at the Schloss Frohnburg has been cleared with the university. He had also told me that, after consulting with the other strings instrumentalists in the ensemble, they had decided to add Bach’s Violin Concerto in E Major, with him, naturally, as the soloist.

It is thus time for me to put forward our suggestion to Nae Il that she add a solo piece to our programme. Under any other circumstances, I know that she will readily accept; in fact, she has often joked with me that I should just become her manager and make any such decisions for her. But that won’t do for someone who really should be thinking ahead to creating a solo career; experience from Haneum has taught me that it is best for her to make such choices on her own terms. However, that doesn’t mean that I’m unaware of what factors Nae Il may take into her decision, and that is why we are on the bus right now on this mild Saturday afternoon.

She does not know it yet, but I am taking her to the Schloss Frohnburg itself.

The bus lets us off in a rather ordinary-looking suburban neighbourhood. Getting off onto the sidewalk, Nae Il turns in a circle, looking curiously around her.

“Is this it?”

I shake my head. “Ani. We’ve still got about a ten-minute walk.”

Taking her by the hand, I lead Nae Il along one of the house-lined side streets branching off from the main road. We follow it along for several minutes before the houses give way to a large open park.

The weather today may be mild, but we are still in the first half of March, and the early spring breeze picks up now that we are out in the open with no buildings to block it. Quickly, I untie the belt keeping my long outer coat closed, opening up one side to drape it around Nae Il with one arm.

“Komapsumnida,” she murmurs as she burrows in, snuggling up close to my side.

I tsk softly at her in response. “I’d told you: you should have brought a warmer coat.”

“But when the trade-off is that I get to stick to you like this,” she replies, shifting to place one arm around my waist and pulling me in closer, “I think I need to be careless a bit more often.”

I am tempted for just a moment to rescind my offer, to pull back away from her and let her deal with the cold herself. But I don’t. Instead, I point straight ahead with my free hand.

“You see those red-roofed buildings over there? That’s where we’re going, so let’s hurry.”

Together, I still sheltering her from the wind, we jog towards the buildings. I guide her past the first one we come to, making a right towards a tree-lined road just up ahead.

By this time, we can get a good view of our final destination: an estate surrounded by yellow walls. But it is still hard to peer over them at the building inside, and even if we did, I know that we will not see the part that Nae Il is familiar with. However, just short of stepping out onto the main pathway, I come to a stop, causing Nae Il to stumble to a halt beside me.

It is only at this point that I step back away from her, retying my coat in the process. Coming around to stand in front of her, I ask her to close her eyes.

“Wae?”

“Just trust me,” I answer, taking one of her hands in mine once she has obeyed. “You’ll like this; I promise.”

Silently, I lead Nae Il around the corner of the walled complex and along the tree-lined road until, finally, we stop at the wrought iron gate flanked by two grey stone columns. On one side of the surrounding wall, there is a large metal plaque: “Schloss Frohnburg Universität Mozarteum.”

I let go of Nae Il’s hand just long enough to step behind her and place both hands on her shoulders. Then, bending down so my head is just next to hers, I whisper, “We’re here, Nae Il-ah. Open your eyes.”

I can’t hold back a grin when I hear Nae Il gasp audibly beside me. “Or- Orabang, this – this is…”

“Geu rae. It’s exactly what you think it is.” Reaching out past her to push the gate open, I continue, “This is the Schloss Frohnburg, the outside of which was used for the Von Trapp villa in The Sound of Music.”

Unlike the young Maria in the film, who had carried a guitar case in one hand and her luggage in the other, Nae Il is empty-handed when she runs through the gate into the front yard. However, just like her predecessor, her arms are also spread wide in excitement as she dashes along the circular driveway up to the main entrance. I follow along at a slower pace, and reach the door just in time for her to turn around and look at me, eyes wide and hands clasped in front of her in rapture.

“So, what do you think?” I ask, reaching out with one hand to lightly stroke the back of her head.

Immediately, she lunges forward and wraps her arms around me in a fierce hug. “Komapsumnida, Orabang!”

Quickly, my hand moves down to the small of her back, holding her in place before she could try to jump up and give me a kiss. “All right, Seollebal – keep it together for me for a second. I didn’t just bring you here because you’re a big fan of the movie. I’ve actually got something I want to ask you.”

“Jinjja?” she asks in response, following me as I open the door and guide her through into the main foyer. It is a simple but brightly lit space, painted a sunny yellow with a warm brown and white checkered floor.

I let go of Nae Il so that she can continue into the room herself. As she turns to look around her in wonder, seemingly indifferent to how the interior differs vastly from the set used in the film, I wait for the right moment to pose my question:

“What do you think about performing here someday?”

It takes a moment for my offer to sink in, but once it does, Nae Il’s eyes dance once more in delight. “Omo – can we?”

“Can you, actually,” I retort, crossing my arms in front of my chest. “I just heard back from Muhammed last night; this is where our ensemble will be performing during the Whitsun Festival this May.

“But what I’m asking is whether you could play something for that concert. Not a duet with me or an ensemble piece with the others. A solo piece, just for you – Seol Nae Il.”

7. "Rainbow High" from Evita (Lyrics)

Character: Evita

Context: After becoming Argentina's First Lady by promoting her husband to the descamisados (the working poor) through channeling her own working-class roots, Evita now completely transforms her image into one of high glamour and sophistication in hopes that it would appeal to both the masses and international politicians.

8. "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from The Phantom of the Opera (Lyrics)

Character: Christine

Context: Caught in the crosshairs of a conflict between the two powerful men who love her (and hate each other), Christine visits her late father's grave, mourning that she can't ask for his advice when she needs it most.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

So, I know that things have been quieter here than usual

Well, fortunately we have active members like @kittyna and @flutterby06 , who always bring something new in the forum and keep it interesting and fun forum to visit :approves:

1. "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella

Well, I tried to find the right character which fits the description of this musical, but I did not find any main or supporting character from the drama which fits in this situation. The closes one I could think of is "Princess Hyemyung". She does acts like  the character in the musical, sometimes she acts like lady like and sometimes she acts like drunkard. So, I think princess is best fit for this musical,her character matches with ELLA  minus the step sister and cruse

Koo Ja-Kyung, although she is the eldest daughter her situation is similar to the character in the musical, but in different way, like she as the ability and competence to run her father's business but because she is a woman, she is not given a chance to prove herself and was expected to be married-off. Just like the character in the musical, she is expected to stick with the traditional role i.e as good woman .

Han Yeo-Jin-  Well, it's the closest character I could think of and on top of that, her situation matches with the situation of the musical. Although she was not the one who was responsible for her brother's death but she was involved indirectly in his murder. And did not regret it one bit, and she was also convinced that her brother was a monster who tried to kill her and destroyed her life knowingly. So, I think she is the best fit for this musical

Shin Yu-Kyung-  These have similar situation, just like in the drama, Catherine Parr marriage was against her choice, but in the end, her marriage with Henry VIII, was best one out his six marriages he had. And I did not know that she was in love with other man, which makes these two characters situation similar. So, I think Yu-Kyung is the best fit for this musical

5. "Stepsister's Lament" from Cinderella (Lyrics)

Jung Da-Yeon- Now that, I think of it Da-Yeon was like one of the step sisters of Cinderella. She was jealous of the women who were close to Gyun woo and had her own cruel schemes for Princess Hyemyung.

Cho Min-Hee - For some reason I think Min-Hee would be nervous on her first day of work and would do something like this to calm her nervous

7. "Rainbow High" from Evita (Lyrics)

Queen Park- Only reason I choose her because she was the closest character to this musical character.

8. "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from The Phantom of the Opera (Lyrics)

Mok Dan- Again, I am taking the similar situation criterion to choose this character. Although, both the men who love Mok Dan doesn't hate each other, but both of them always try to hurt each other in every given situation.

And coming to the Fan fiction review, it is a good read and also, I came to realize that Cha Yoo jin is really not good at surprising anyone, while reading the story it almost felt like Cha Yoo Jin was dragging Nae-Il to a school, like a mom who is dragging her reluctant toddler to school  and not like someone who is trying surprise his fiance :joy:

By the way, I thought this musical challenge would be a cakewalk, since we have already done this before. But, I couldn't have been more wrong, the musical characters were diverse and there were lot less similar with female or male leads and I had to think deep in order to find a suitable character for the musical. It was a tough exercise and also surprisingly satisfying by the time I was done with the challenge :hwaiting2:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And coming to the Fan fiction review, it is a good read and also, I came to realize that Cha Yoo jin is really not good at surprising anyone, while reading the story it almost felt like Cha Yoo Jin was dragging Nae-Il to a school, like a mom who is dragging her reluctant toddler to school  and not like someone who is trying surprise his fiance :joy:

lol - That's because it's a snippet from an earlier fic in the series, when Yoo Jin was still relatively new to being Nae Il's boyfriend (i.e. nowhere near actually proposing yet). ;) But yes, he does always end up a bit awkward because of how direct he is when he tries to surprise her :P  So it's a good thing that Nae Il's easily pleased.

By the way, I thought this musical challenge would be a cakewalk, since we have already done this before. But, I couldn't have been more wrong, the musical characters were diverse and there were lot less similar with female or male leads and I had to think deep in order to find a suitable character for the musical. It was a tough exercise and also surprisingly satisfying by the time I was done with the challenge

Yeah. I actually changed my planning process a bit this time, where I just picked songs from musicals that were good character moments in and of themselves. So there aren't as many easy fits with the K-drama characters this time around, and that will continue for the future rounds (guys, then couples/pairs). I still try to vary the difficulty level, but it can be mentally stimulating to have some hard ones.

In other words: I don't have my own answers yet. :P But in the meantime, some reactions to yours:

Well, I tried to find the right character which fits the description of this musical, but I did not find any main or supporting character from the drama which fits in this situation. The closes one I could think of is "Princess Hyemyung". She does acts like a the character in the musical, sometimes she acts like lady like and sometimes she acts like drunkard. So, I think princess is best fit for this musical,her character matches with ELLA character minus the step sister and cruse

I wouldn't have thought of her until you said so - mostly because I'm used to seeing Cinderella as more of the girly-girl and Hye Myung definitely isn't. But now that I think about it, the imaginative aspect does match her really well :) Maybe when she was in her teens, prior to the events in the drama itself.

Han Yeo-Jin-  Well, it's the closest character I could think of and on top of that, her situation matches with the situation of the musical. Although she was not the one who was responsible for her brother's death but she was involved indirectly in his murder. And did not regret it one bit, and she was also convinced that her brother was a monster who tried to kill her and destroyed her life knowingly. So, I think she is the best fit for this musical

I will admit this is one of the harder prompts in the challenge, so kudos :approves:

Mok Dan- Again, I am taking the similar situation criterion to choose this character. Although, both the men who love Mok Dan doesn't hate each other, but both of them always try to hurt each other in every given situation.

Well, the two guys do end up hating each other (eventually) and try to take each other down in increasingly convoluted ways, so.... ;) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Well, the two guys do end up hating each other (eventually) and try to take each other down in increasingly convoluted ways, so.... ;)

It is because of circumstances and the way I see it, they only hated the each other because of their professions other than that, they had no personal enmity Per Se

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I will admit this is one of the harder prompts in the challenge, so kudos 

I still don't think she is perfect, maybe  it's about 50% to 60% right

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

that will continue for the future rounds (guys, then couples/pairs)

:fear:

19 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I wouldn't have thought of her until you said so - mostly because I'm used to seeing Cinderella

Are you saying that this story is about "Cinderella" story and not about the movie "Ella Enchanted" ? Because I took the parameters from that movie and not from Cinderella story :wut:

21 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Nae Il's easily pleased.

I think it is because she has simple world view and not that high expectation about anything in the world, apart from enjoying the present. :blush:

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think it is because she has simple world view and not that high expectation about anything in the world, apart from enjoying the present.

Not to mention that she's pretty much the epitome of the "simple girl" meme that shows up all the time on YouTube (i.e. "I'm a simple girl. I see [insert bias name here], I click.")

It is because of circumstances and the way I see it, they only hated the each other because of their professions other than that, they had no personal enmity Per Se

For me, I think it did end up getting personal for Shunji: he already hated Gaksital to begin with (because Gaksital killed his brother), but when he found out that that was Kang To...yikes. :fear: 

In addition to the politics they were dealing with at the time, Shunji seemed to take it as a personal betrayal, and that just made him even angrier.

Are you saying that this story is about "Cinderella" story and not about the movie "Ella Enchanted" ? Because I took the parameters from that movie and not from Cinderella story

Oh, yeah - I thought you knew that already :sweat_smile: But don't worry: like most modern interpretations of the story, this version of Cinderella isn't all that passive either ;). The Prince ends up falling for her wit and her care for the people rather than her beauty.

(Will come back with my own answers later)

• Like 2

And here I am with my own responses to the Musical Theatre Challenge.

Like @kireeti2, I found myself having to stretch the prompts in certain ways in order to make my answers work, as most of the situations here don't really have direct matches in any of JW's dramas (which does say a lot about what other stories can still be told in future projects ;)). I'll do my best to explain my thought process in those instances, but if anything's confusing, please feel free to ask/disagree/whatever.

1. "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella 

This is the one where I'm really just going with my gut and putting down the first person who came to mind: Seol Nae Il. Even though her situation is very different, I can see Nae Il's childlike innocence and her tendency to live in her own mind reflected here. Also, not gonna lie: the video itself inspired part of my answer, as I could honestly imagine Nae Il doing something like this if she's bored at home...as well as Cha Yoo Jin's face when he walks in on her in the middle of the act :P 

Okay, to be fair, we don't get the whole conventional "candy girl falls in love with first sight" trope all that much in JW's dramas - which may be a good thing, all points considered :P But if I were to just consider Eliza's kindness, her close relationship with her father, and her exuberance when the guy she likes does finally return her feelings - i.e., more a parallel in personality than in situation - I'm somehow reminded simultaneously of both Baek Ja Eun AND Cha Soo Young from Ojakgyo Brothers. If I had to pick only one, I do think Soo Young edges out a little bit (since Eliza's actually got a good deal of sass as well), but it's a really close call.

I did confess to this being one of the hardest prompts in the challenge - but also one of my favourite solo numbers from Dear Evan Hansen, which I really wanted to include regardless. So...where to start? I could see this working for Han Yeo Jin (and she is the only JW drama girl I could think of whose brother dies), but at the same time...I think there's something missing. See, while she does regret her part in it, Yeo Jin also believes she did the right thing for herself, for Tae Hyun, and for Hanshin. Nor does she have to deal with a massive public outpouring of grief over Han Do Joon's death: since everyone knew he was something of a jerk, there's no real conflict here.

So instead, I'm going to have to go for the hypothetical: which female character do I think is most likely to react this way under these or similar circumstances? And that's taking me in a surprising direction right now, but I'm gonna take it anyway - Yang Sun Young (i.e. Cha Yoo Jin's mother) from Nae Il's Cantabile, in the event that something untoward happens to her ex-husband. Because the Cha Dong Woo she and her son knew at home would be vastly different from the one that's known to the public...and not in a good way. 

I'm going to confess to doing a bit more digging into the historical Catherine Parr for this, and I was fascinated to find that she actually became a writer after her marriage to the King. Not only that, she seemed to be quite the Renaissance woman in her own right: she was the one who made sure her younger stepdaughter, Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth I) got a complete and well-rounded education; she translated Latin religious texts into English so they'd be accessible to the public; and she offended a number of courtiers for pushing for religious reforms.

Put all that together, and I'm coming away thinking of Princess Hye Myung - especially if you imagine her thoughts at the point when she's nearly married off to China, knowing she'd have to push away the man she loves for the good of her country. Fortunately, things work out well for her in the end, and she ends up with a true love who actively encourages her in her interests :)  

5. "Stepsister's Lament" from Cinderella 

Since @kireeti2 already brought up Jung Da Yeon as an option (and a very good one, at that), I had to search somewhat farther afield for my own response. I have to say: JW's dramas generally don't have the two-girls-one-guy love triangle all that much, and even those that do feature women who are not nearly as catty as Charlotte here. So I'm going to get a bit obscure here and give Lee Seung Ri from Ojakgyo Brothers as my answer: she's the daughter of the police chief who's got a massive crush on Hwang Tae Hui, as well as Baek Ja Eun's main rival at school. And, like Charlotte, she sees herself as the hero(ine) in her own story - willing to see her strengths and Ja Eun's flaws, but not the other way around.

Nae Il would be the most obvious choice, in my opinion; but since I already placed her elsewhere (#1), I'm going with my backup choice - Kim Seo Won. From what I remember of Level 7 Civil Servant, she's got a similar spunk, optimism and diligence...and she exudes confidence even when she's really flying by the seat of her pants ;) 

7. "Rainbow High" from Evita 

This one's the one where I wound up with several good JW drama candidates that I'd need to narrow down to one - and this time, I think I'm going to go with Chae Do Kyung from Nae Il's Cantabile. Even though the stakes are not nearly as high for her as they are for Evita, what makes her stand out to me is that the drama implies that she was rather average-looking and something of an outcast as a child. She worked hard to change her image into what we see by the time she's introduced in the drama, but that glamorous exterior still hides an awareness that she's never free to just be herself (she ends up having to "sell" Haneum in much the same way Evita "sells" Argentina), and a fear that that publicity would also lead her opponents to just think she's a ditzy airhead (which she's not).

8. "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from The Phantom of the Opera 

Even though the characters' personalities don't match by a long shot (trust me: they don't), I wound up thinking of Han Yeo Jin here. Sometimes, in more private moments, I imagine she would want to be able to look to her father for guidance - and she does seem to look to him as a source of strength in her fight against her brother - but she could only do so in her heart as he's no longer physically there.

Yep, this one was a challenge - but it was fun as well :) 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yep, this one was a challenge - but it was fun as well

You seem to have taken liberal interpretation while choosing the characters. Like, you did not try to be rigid in your approach,like, you answers seem to fit in the musical situation one or another way. For instance, I liked this answer of "Chae Do Kyung, even thought both the musical and drama character are in different situation, they do have similar character and personality, both crave for attention and popularity and both seems to be attracted towards the men who they think will be become famous or powerful. So, even though the situation is not same with these characters, their nature seem to be same and makes the choice perfect sense. I will try to be more liberal in my interpretation of musical in future challenges, it seems to give more convincing choices :approves:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

All three Sams sing "Unchained Melody" from Ghost:

I love how you could tell it's the same character throughout, but each actor puts his own spin on it. I love Jin Wook's (i.e. Maknae Sam) little "Whoo!" - it's so cutely boyish and a perfect fit for a younger interpretation of the character. :approves:

As for JW, his overall delivery isn't much different from the 2013 version (clip below), but I do think his performance is a bit more nuanced this time around. It's like his 2013 Sam was a young guy new to romance, whereas his 2020 Sam is someone who's been at it for a while and knows exactly what Molly likes ;) 

10 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

For instance, I liked this answer of "Chae Do Kyung, even thought both the musical and drama character are in different situation, they do have similar character and personality, both crave for attention and popularity and both seems to be attracted towards the men who they think will be become famous or powerful. So, even though the situation is not same with these characters, their nature seem to be same and makes the choice perfect sense.

To be honest, I do think that Chae Do Kyung got shafted in Nae Il's Cantabile - like, I feel like she could have been a character with a good deal of depth, but got pushed into the "shallow ex-girlfriend" trope and that's what we end up remembering her for. There are subtle clues to a more three-dimensional character scattered throughout the drama's middle episodes, but by the time they show up, they end up feeling more like afterthoughts. 

• Like 3

And here I am with the guys round of my latest Musical Theatre Challenge.

Will this one be as challenging as the girls? That's...hard to say (since it's all pretty subjective), but please feel free to let me know what you think.

Spoiler

Musical Theatre Challenge, Take Two: The Guys (Round Two)

So, the question here is the same as always: which male character from JW's dramas do you think of when you hear each song, and why? Any male characters (main, supporting, minor) are fair game; the only rule is that you can't repeat any of them (i.e. 8 prompts = 8 guys).

(Also, it's come to my attention from previous rounds that video links that work for me here in Canada may not work everywhere due to YouTube's zoning restrictions. Given that, if any of the videos don't play for you, please let me know, and I'll try to find an alternative audio-only source if there is one :thumbsup:)

Again, there are no right or wrong answers here - it's all just for fun! :) 

1. "Maria" from West Side Story

Character: Tony

Context: Despite a strong racial divide in their neighbourhood that pits White and Puerto Rican street gangs against each other, a White boy finds himself falling for a Puerto Rican girl (Maria) after seeing her for the first time at a community dance.

2. "Razzle Dazzle" from Chicago (Lyrics)

Character: Billy Flynn

Context: A popular hotshot defense attorney instructs his female client (who's on trial for murdering her lover - she actually did, by the way) to sway the jury in her favour by putting on a huge show for the media.

3. "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen

Character: Evan

Context: A teenage boy suffering from severe social anxiety attempts to navigate the first day of his final year in high school. On the one hand, he wants to be able to reach out to others and make friends; but on the other hand, he struggles to actually take the first step.

(Note: this video is not from a staged production of the musical, but was produced by a YouTube group who covers songs from musicals - in this case, to promote awareness about mental health.)

4. "My Shot" from Hamilton

Character: Alexander Hamilton

Context: After having beaten the odds by surviving a life of poverty in the Caribbean, Hamilton arrives in 18th century New York determined to make something of himself - and the burgeoning American Revolution presents him with the perfect opportunity to put his strong intelligence to use.

(Note: There is some profanity in this piece, so headphones are recommended ;))

5. "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera (Lyrics)

Character: The Phantom

Context: The Phantom confesses his feelings to the beautiful opera singer who has become his muse. And, being something of a musical prodigy, he does it in the best way he knows: by explaining that she's the only one who could bring his compositions to life.

6. "Who Am I?" from Les Miserables (Lyrics)

Character: Jean Valjean

Context: Valjean, a former convict who has spent years trying to make a new life for himself under a new name, discovers that an innocent man has been charged for a crime that he (Valjean) was actually guilty of in the past. Should he come clean about his past to save an innocent man - even if it means going back to jail himself?

7. "Dancing Through Life" from Wicked

Character: Fiyero

Context: A young (and rich :P) university student decides to host a dance for the student body, citing his belief that people should just dance through life without any worries or cares.

(Note: This is technically an ensemble number, so just pay attention to Fiyero's bit for the prompt.)

8. "Made of Stone" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Lyrics)

Character: Quasimodo

Context: After his attempt to save the woman he loves only puts her in greater danger, Quasimodo lets out his frustration to the statues in Notre Dame (note: he talks to them in his mind due to spending his entire life isolated inside the cathedral), declaring that he would have been better off being made of stone and thus unable to feel.

Okay, this may have wound up more angsty than the girls' version... :unsure: But that seems to be a running theme in the whole "power ballad" concept :P 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kittyna said:

Gu Ma Jun. Since he fell in love with the girl who was from different social class against his mother's wish and it sorts of fits with the circumstances with the character in the musical.

2. "Razzle Dazzle" from Chicago (Lyrics)

Han Do Joon's Secretary, unfortunately I did not get his name in the drama nor it is displayed under cast list. He looked like a guy who would defend anyone as long as it serves his purpose and in the musical it seemed like the lawyer has some ulterior motive

Park Si-on, not exactly an ideal choice, but I do feel like Si-On had issues speaking to others or making friends due to his autism and prior to Doctor Choi's treatment he did suffer with social anxiety.

I think you had already gave this musical in earlier challenges or I am having a Deja-vu. Nonetheless, I think the best fit would be Lee Kang To, due to his turbulent life and like in musical, he was also in middle of revolution and trying to navigate his life through revolution until he became Bridal mask

5. "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera (Lyrics)

Franz Stresemann,  he did had his fair share of awkwardness while confessing his love to his college crush, and I imagine he would do it pretty well if he did it through music like Phantom in the musical

6. "Who Am I?" from Les Miserables (Lyrics)

Lee Ho Joon, His situation is similar to the musical character, like, he is also facing an ethical dilemma regarding his job as a doctor and he struggled many times to whether to come clean or continue his life as usual.

Han Gil Ro, this musical is giving the vibes of free spirit type character and one who as problem in following orders and so the Gil Ro character popped up on my mind. I think he did influenced lot of his peers in his time at National Investigation Agency Academy just like the character in the musical.

8. "Made of Stone" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Lyrics)

Park Jin Gyeom, from the beginning of the drama till the end of the drama he sort of blamed himself for the type of life his mother had and subsequently her death. So, it is not exactly similar to characters relationship, but the situation is similar and PJG was always alone even though he was surrounded by the people who loved and cared about him, just like the character in the musical.

This challenge was equally hard as the earlier one, but for some reason it was less exciting, maybe its because few musicals were repeated or I am having a Deja Vu

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

This challenge was equally hard as the earlier one, but for some reason it was less exciting, maybe its because few musicals were repeated or I am having a Deja Vu

I think you had already gave this musical in earlier challenges or I am having a Deja-vu.

Maybe :sweat_smile:. I know some shows and characters have been repeated over time (as they were for the girls, too, in all honesty), but my memory is fuzzy on specific songs at this rate :P If so, then my apologies for the mix-up.

Still, if nothing else, I think any repeats would have been from prior to when we watched Alice (at least in its entirety), which means that answers could still be different afterwards. Like, it'd be hard to assess Park Jin Gyeom to the level of depth you just did going solely by previews ;) 

I also want to point out that this round was harder for me to put together, because I was aiming for a broader range...and kinda failed. My initial shortlist actually wound up being really angsty, so I went back and replaced some prompts before finally posting. Maybe that accounts for the repetition...? Again, I don't know, since memories are fuzzy and all that. :P 

What I do think, in hindsight, is that more of your instincts lined up with mine than they did for the girls - which means the onus is now on me not to overlap too much ;) 

Han Do Joon's Secretary, unfortunately I did not get his name in the drama nor it is displayed under cast list. He looked like a guy who would defend anyone as long as it serves his purpose and in the musical it seemed like the lawyer has some ulterior motive

Secretary Min is what I call him, since that's his surname - I don't think he was ever given a full name, actually.

By the way, this was a surprise response for me, but I like it :thumbsup:

Franz Stresemann,  he did had his fair share of awkwardness while confessing his love to his college crush, and I imagine he would do it pretty well if he did it through music like Phantom in the musical

lol - I think a number of the guys from Nae Il's Cantabile would be fair game here; I was just curious which one you'd pick ;) 

Park Jin Gyeom, from the beginning of the drama till the end of the drama he sort of blamed himself for the type of life his mother had and subsequently her death. So, it is not exactly similar to characters relationship, but the situation is similar and PJG was always alone even though he was surrounded by the people who loved and cared about him, just like the character in the musical.

I thought of him as well (which means I now need a back-up), but it's actually kinda ironic that for a musical character who wishes he couldn't feel, we both wound up thinking of a drama character with alexithymia :lol:

Park Si-on, not exactly an ideal choice, but I do feel like Si-On had issues speaking to others or making friends due to his autism and prior to Doctor Choi's treatment he did suffer with social anxiety.

Don't worry - I could see this working, too. It also helps that the actor in the video had some pretty similar facial expressions and mannerisms to Si On (or, at least, his American counterpart).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

lol - I think a number of the guys from Nae Il's Cantabile would be fair game here; I was just curious which one you'd pick

I thought of picking Cha Yoo Jin, but initially he liked Nae-il for her musical skills rather than her beauty. :D

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

we both wound up thinking of a drama character with alexithymia 

That's because PGJ also wished that he  had normal feelings like others , so that he could understand them

• Like 2

Awesome piece of fanart

The suit JW wore to his interview

Kim Hee Sun and JW's autographs - Um, is it just me, or do they coincidentally have really similar styles?

And I'm also here to complete my take on the Musical Theatre Challenge - so here goes! :)

Unlike with the girls, guys falling in love at first sight (or close to it) do seem to be a thing in JW's dramas :P, which means that I have a number of options to choose from. If I were to include the complex community dynamics and the way Tony puts Maria up on this pedestal when he doesn't really know her yet...I want to go with the younger/teenage Kimura Shunji from Gaksital, when he first meets "Esther", only to end up falling out of touch with her until years later. In other words: he knows he likes this girl, but at this moment in time, it's really more an ideal (and an impossible one, given their different ethnicities) than a real person. 

2. "Razzle Dazzle" from Chicago 

This is nowhere near a match in situation, but in terms of personality, I'm somehow reminded of Evil Seok Oh Won from Alice. I think what's doing it here is Seok Oh Won's really slick charisma and his way of perverting and twisting the truth to make "alternative facts" that work for him and his purposes. Like Billy Flynn, he knows he's a total piece of you-know-what, but that's not going to stop him anytime soon.

lol - Park Si On's such a good fit here that it was kind of hard to come up with a different answer. But if I were to focus on 1) Evan's good intentions underneath that awkward exterior, 2) his desire to take the steps he needs to reach his potential, and 3) his fear of rejection/failure that makes him withdraw and run away instead, I think we can also consider Hwang Tae Sik from Ojakgyo Brothers as a possible contender.

Not gonna lie: the reason why this felt repetitive is that I have used Hamilton (the musical) a lot, and for me at least, my first instinct is to look to Yong Pal due to a number of parallels I've observed in the plot and characters over time. Given that, though, I want to try something different and not consider Yong Pal this time around - because what's the fun if there's no challenge?

So, let's see. If I consider the fact that Alexander Hamilton came from the wrong side of the tracks, but managed to achieve a lot through his wits (he's learned, but more because he's clever/street-smart rather than a good student) and has these huge dreams of accomplishing a purpose greater than himself in life...it's a completely different context, but I'm reminded of Kim Tak Gu, especially when he first shows up at the bakery in search of a job. Maybe it's the whole "young, scrappy and hungry" bit - I dunno.

5. "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera 

And now we come back to the whole "guys falling in love at first sight" trope. Or, should I say, falling in love at first hearing :P Yep, I'm also going with Nae Il's Cantabile here, which was probably obvious, given how I described this scene in the "Context". However, for much the same reasons that @kireeti2 brought up Stresemann, I'm answering with Lee Yoon Hoo. He finds inspiration and strength to go on from listening to Nae Il's music, and his determination to perform a duet with her - and go head-to-head with Cha Yoo Jin for her affections - reminds me a lot of what is shown in this scene.

6. "Who Am I?" from Les Miserables 

Again, this is the sort of trope/concept that shows up a good deal in JW's dramas - so I found myself in the rather odd position of nearly simultaneously thinking of several completely different characters :P However, if I were to just share the one that's edging out on top as my favourite choice right now...Go Hyung Seok (i.e. our beloved Go Ahjussi) from Alice. I do admit that there are some other characters where the actual situation is a better match, but I think that the stakes involved (and the overall serious tone of this subplot in both Les Mis and Alice) make this a good fit. I'm especially thinking of the events surrounding Park Jin Gyeom's suspicions about him and the huge ethical dilemma he faces as a result: if he kills Jin Gyeom to save his wife, an innocent person dies while Park Sun Young's real murderer also goes free; but if he comes clean and saves Jin Gyeom now, his wife's in danger. Finally, like Valjean, Go Ahjussi does make the right choice in the end, even though he knows it'll end badly for himself.

Okay, first of all: @kireeti2's choice of Han Gil Ro is freakin' awesome :glasses: I loved that, and could really see it as a good fit.

Which means, of course, that I need to find an alternate - and I'm going to go with Yoo Il Rak from Nae Il's Cantabile. He's also a free-spirited person who goes with his gut, as well as being something of a rebel among Haneum's student body in the earlier episodes of the drama. Even after shaping up as the S Orchestra's concertmaster, I don't think he ever lost that edge entirely - and he certainly held on to his old enthusiasm and cheerfulness (not to mention his tendency to just throw parties for everyone just because he feels like it) :) 

8. "Made of Stone" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame 

Honestly, Park Jin Gyeom's such an ironically good fit for this (especially if we also consider what he's thinking after he nearly attacks Yoon Tae Yi) that it's hard to think of another response. But I'm still gonna try, so bear with me while I think this through "out loud". ;) 

What do I need, then? At its most basic, this prompt seems to be about someone with good intentions, but whose well-intentioned actions end up blowing up in his face and causing harm to those he cares about - which results in this rapid downward spiral where he (at least momentarily) believes himself to be the monster he's been told he is. And considering just how high the stakes are (it's literally life and death), I want to go for a relatively serious/heavy drama to match.

Okay. If I put all those factors together, the first person (other than Jin Gyeom) I end up thinking of is...Lee Kang To. So let's just go with that :P 

lol - Good thing this isn't a contest, because my responses wouldn't stand much of a chance. :sweat_smile:

[EDIT]

I thought of picking Cha Yoo Jin, but initially he liked Nae-il for her musical skills rather than her beauty. :D

I did as well, actually - but you can see my actual pick now ;) 

• Like 2