Quantcast
Jump to content

Joo Won 주원 - Finished Drama: Alice


Recommended Posts

Just popping by with a really funny "blink and you'll miss it" moment from Alice: we all remember JW's (in)famous "Tell Me" dance, right? Yeah, well, it took coming across this cropped/zoomed in version on Instagram for me to notice just how Jin Gyeom reacted to his friends' reactions. Namely, glancing down at the floor in confusion at the beer Dong Ho had just spit out :lol: It's like, everyone's staring at him like he just sprouted horns, and that's the part he notices???

  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • coolreborn

    11648

  • stearly

    5983

  • mrdimples

    4935

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

After Korean Drama Awards, I read somewhere that 80% of the netizens' comments was on how Kim Soo Hyun deserved the award, 10% were hurling insults on Yong Pal writer and Kim Tae Hee for winning and 5

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

Namely, glancing down at the floor in confusion at the beer Dong Ho had just spit out 

Yeah, his reaction was hysterical, I wonder how many takes it would have taken to get this perfect scene. I would really enjoy watching bloopers of this scenes, but knowing that no bloopers of this scene, I guess it took only one take to get the scene right. :P

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

JW's (in)famous "Tell Me" dance,

I am surprised there are no memes for this dance , since there were so many memes form Alice's scene

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I am surprised there are no memes for this dance , since there were so many memes form Alice's scene

 

Probably because the scene is a meme in and of itself :P Actually, I don't know how to do it, but it'd be hilarious if someone actually made a GIF of at least part of that dance.

 

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, his reaction was hysterical, I wonder how many takes it would have taken to get this perfect scene. I would really enjoy watching bloopers of this scenes, but knowing that no bloopers of this scene, I guess it took only one take to get the scene right.

 

lol - That's an awesome thought, that we managed to get the cast members' genuine reactions to JW's dancing. Most likely, there were probably still multiple takes just to get all the camera angles, but it's not really the sort of thing anyone (other than JW himself) could mess up - because even if the others just keeled over laughing, the scene would still work. 

 

I guess kudos to JW then for being able to nail such a ridiculous dance with such a straight face :gangnamstyle:

 

New promo video for Ghost - By the way, is it just me, or is JW doing both the sung parts and the voiceover? Either that, or his fellow Sam Wheat actors also sound a ton like him.

 

Throwback to JW's impression of Moon Chae Won while filming Good Doctor - Kudos to MCW's fans for sharing this! I think it's adorable that JW said she was like Cha Yoon Seo in real life. :) 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, it seems like JW has a busy day today: he mentioned both an upcoming interview and a performance on his Instagram stories. My guess is that this is the interview in question, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

 

In the meantime, it's also come to my attention that today is World Children's Day. And that got me thinking that, well, I haven't put together an interactive for a while (you can blame real life busy-ness for that), so let's throw together a quick kids-related round of Scattergories

 

Spoiler

Scattergories: Children's Day Edition

 

Again, you guys know the drill: for each of the prompts, just say which character(s) first come to mind. Repeats are allowed, and reasons are optional (although always appreciated - I love reading about what you think of the characters).

 

Note: this one takes a bit of extra imagination, because I want you to think about what the characters would have been like as kids. Also, keep an eye out for whether I'm asking about the guys or the girls. ;) 

 

1. The JW drama guy most likely to prefer playing outside (as opposed to indoors) when he was little

2. The JW drama girl most likely to grow up with a pet (bonus: what was the pet?)

3. The JW drama guy most likely to rank first place during primary/elementary school

4. The JW drama girl most likely to be sporty or a tomboy (or both - both is also good ;))

5. The JW drama guy who you really don't want to be quiet - because when he's quiet, he's definitely up to some sort of mischief :P 

6. The JW drama girl most likely to prefer playing alone rather than with the other kids

7. The JW drama guy most likely to beg his parents for a younger sibling (whether that sibling comes along or not is up to you)

8. The JW drama guy most likely to be the leader among his group of friends

9. The JW drama girl most likely to be a total chatterbox

10. The JW drama guy most likely to be shy around strangers

11. The JW drama girl most likely to secretly stay up late past her bedtime (bonus: doing what?)

 

Nothing serious - just have fun with it :) 

 

[EDIT] - Changed one of the prompts (9) and added two additional prompts (10, 11).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

1. The JW drama guy most likely to prefer playing outside (as opposed to indoors) when he was little

Park Si-On's elder brother

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

2. The JW drama girl most likely to grow up with a pet (bonus: what was the pet?)

Han Yeo-Jin from Yong-Pal, if I remember correctly she had a pet dog when she was 6 or 7 years old

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

3. The JW drama guy most likely to rank first place during primary/elementary school

Park-Si-On in academics or PJG in sports. I don't know which rank you were referring to. So, I choose two characters in different field

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

4. The JW drama girl most likely to be sporty or a tomboy (or both - both is also good ;))

Cha Yoon-Seo(Sporty) and Nae-Il(Tomboy)

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

5. The JW drama guy who you really don't want to be quiet - because when he's quiet, he's definitely up to some sort of mischief

Han Gil Ro, I can picture him as the most rebellious one out of all the characters

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

6. The JW drama girl most likely to prefer playing alone rather than with the other kids

Han Yeo-Jin, I did not see a rule where it says that I am not supposed to repeat the character

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

7. The JW drama guy most likely to beg his parents for a younger sibling (whether that sibling comes along or not is up to you)

Han Gil-Ro , since only this character as most stable family and only kid in stable family tends to get bored because of the free time, so, I can picture Han Gil-Ro asking for sibling from his parents

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

8. The JW drama guy most likely to be the leader among his group of friends

Hwang Tae-Hee

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

9. The JW drama girl most likely to be a total chatterbox

Nae-il :lol:

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

10. The JW drama guy most likely to be shy around strangers

Park Si-On, although as an adult it was shown that he has no trouble talking with a stranger, but as kid I am sure he was shy around strangers

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

11. The JW drama girl most likely to secretly stay up late past her bedtime (bonus: doing what?)

Yoon Tae-Yi (2020), probably watching stars or reading advance books on quantum physics(I know it's a  little stretch for kid to read  book on quantum physics, but she science prodigy)

 

 

Now that I am done with the exercise, it came to my notice that only few joo won's character had  normal childhood, like, Han Gil Ro, Kim Tae Hyun, Hwang Tae Hee and Gu Ma jun up to some extent.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reactions first, then my own responses :) 

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Yeo-Jin from Yong-Pal, if I remember correctly she had a pet dog when she was 6 or 7 years old

 

I don't remember if the drama mentioned her having a dog, but even if it didn't, it's not impossible :) 

 

lol - And now you're reminding me of the way Lee Sang Chul (the security guard who befriends Tae Hyun) secretly lets the neighbour's dog "trespass" into the yard just so he could play with it before chasing it back off again :P 

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Park-Si-On in academics or PJG in sports. I don't know which rank you were referring to. So, I choose two characters in different field

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yoon Tae-Yi (2020), probably watching stars or reading advance books on quantum physics(I know it's a  little stretch for kid to read  book on quantum physics, but she science prodigy)

 

I personally envisioned ranking first academically, but I also didn't specify. ;) As you said, different characters might excel in different fields, so anything's possible.

 

Actually, if we step back and think about it, there are a ton of exceptional/prodigy kids in JW's dramas. Academically, we can definitely count both Park Si On and Yoon Tae Yi for the sciences, Gyun Woo for the humanities/liberal arts (to use the modern terms), both Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il for music, Park Jin Gyeom (and possibly some others) for athletics...yeah. Quite the mix, there.

 

(And the mental image of mini-Tae Yi reading under the covers with a flashlight is darn cute :fullofhearts:)

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoon-Seo(Sporty) and Nae-Il(Tomboy)

 

I didn't expect to see Nae Il as a tomboy, so I'd love to hear more about your thoughts here. (Not a disagreement, just curiosity)

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Yeo-Jin, I did not see a rule where it says that I am not supposed to repeat the character

 

That's because there isn't - I did say that repeats were okay.

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Gil-Ro , since only this character as most stable family and only kid in stable family tends to get bored because of the free time, so, I can picture Han Gil-Ro asking for sibling from his parents

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that I am done with the exercise, it came to my notice that only few joo won's character had  normal childhood, like, Han Gil Ro, Kim Tae Hyun, Hwang Tae Hee and Gu Ma jun up to some extent.

 

And I wouldn't exactly consider Kim Tae Hyun or Gu Ma Jun having normal childhoods either - Ma Jun, maybe, but Tae Hyun's is...normal in the sense that it's (tragically) common, but definitely not in the sense of being uneventful, ordinary, or healthy.

 

And now for my own answers:

 

1. The JW drama guy most likely to prefer playing outside (as opposed to indoors) when he was little

 

I'm going to say either Kim Tae Hyun (for playing with other kids) or Park Si On (for playing/exploring by himself). I generally just imagine Tae Hyun to be a rather active child who would need space to run around and burn off some excess energy, and I see Si On as the sort of kid who'd love to roam around in nature with his pet rabbit in tow.

 

2. The JW drama girl most likely to grow up with a pet (bonus: what was the pet?)

 

I mentioned this in passing in some of my Seolleim in Salzburg fics already: Seol Nae Il. I like to think that she had a dog when she was little, and probably would have wanted even more pets if her parents hadn't said no.

 

3. The JW drama guy most likely to rank first place during primary/elementary school

 

Since it's already hinted at in the drama, I'm going to say Park Jin Gyeom here. Even in terms of academics. It shows up a lot in conversation that he consistently has good grades in school, and I also see him as being a diligent and focused student. It's practically the one thing he's good at as a kid, and he also tended to use "I have to study" as his excuse to get out of all sorts of situations growing up.

 

4. The JW drama girl most likely to be sporty or a tomboy (or both - both is also good )

 

Hye Myung would be the obvious choice (she acts like a tomboy even if she's never allowed to dress like one :P), but to change things up a bit, I agree with @kireeti2 on Cha Yoon Seo, and I'd also like to add 2020-Yoon Tae Yi to the mix. I dunno; I just sort of see them being more interested in "boyish" things growing up, whether it's in terms of the games they play, or even the common assumption among kids that STEM fields are for boys. Not that that's true, by the way, but the perception is there, so, for instance, I could envision both Yoon Seo and Tae Yi doing the whole "I'm not like most girls" thing.

 

5. The JW drama guy who you really don't want to be quiet - because when he's quiet, he's definitely up to some sort of mischief 

 

While Han Gil Ro is definitely the most mischievous out of all of JW's drama characters, I also see him as the sort who'd be really loud and rambunctious when he's up to something. If, on the other hand, I need to think of someone who'd become really quiet or sneaky when he's up to no good, I actually end up thinking of Gu Ma Jun.

 

6. The JW drama girl most likely to prefer playing alone rather than with the other kids

 

I...think I'm gonna have to also go with Han Yeo Jin for this one. In part, it's because her parents didn't let her play with other kids much; but I also think she would grow up internalizing that "princess" mentality and would probably have wound up with a really snobbish phase. 

 

7. The JW drama guy most likely to beg his parents for a younger sibling (whether that sibling comes along or not is up to you)

 

I can see this being equally true for both Han Gil Ro and Kim Tae Hyun, mostly because I think both seem like the sort who'd want a playmate.

 

8. The JW drama guy most likely to be the leader among his group of friends

 

For me, I think of Gyun Woo, or possibly Lee Kang To (before things went to bits between him and his peers during their teenage years).

 

9. The JW drama girl most likely to be a total chatterbox

 

Nae Il's definitely a contender ;) But just to have a different "official" answer, I'm going to go with Kim Do Yeon here. She's also got that bubbly, talkative streak to her, and she seems to like using it to draw others (like Jin Gyeom) out of their shells.

 

10. The JW drama guy most likely to be shy around strangers

 

There's a difference between quiet and shy, so here I'm going to go with Cha Yoo Jin - who, admittedly, is also quiet, but I'm thinking more of his general tendency to be wary or cautious around others at first. Talk about music will get him to open up, but not much else :P 

 

11. The JW drama girl most likely to secretly stay up late past her bedtime (bonus: doing what?)

 

Again, Tae Yi's a great pick, but I still want to pick someone different. So I'm going to go with Seol Nae Il here. Of course, she wouldn't be playing music here, but I could imagine her chatting and playing with her gazillion stuffed animals well into the night.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Nae Il as a tomboy

As you know most(generally speaking) of the men doesn't keep their  rooms tidy, doesn't have any personal Hygiene and mostly important they don't organize their stuff. So, Nae-il might be girly in some aspects like clothing, hobbies etc, but she certainly passes on as a tomboy with her day to day habits  

 

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

And I wouldn't exactly consider Kim Tae Hyun or Gu Ma Jun having normal childhoods eithe

That's why I said it is up to some extent, on surface of it, it does seem like they had normal childhood, but they have their own issues 

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Gyun Woo, or possibly Lee Kang To

I thought of these two as well, but in order to be a leader one must have qualities like empathy, accommodating and some good inter-personal skills, these are seriously lacking for Gyun Woo and Lee Kang To childhood is marred with hardship, so, he would be busy making money for his family and generally would have no time to play as a normal child, I sort of assumed the age group of the character between 8-14. 

 

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

I'm going to go with Kim Do Yeon

:approves: Her screen time was so short that she never crossed my mind, know that you mention it, in order to be a journalist one has to be talking as hell and needs to strike conversation all the time. 

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

I'm going to go with Cha Yoo Jin

This one surprised me, but I get it, maybe Cha Yoo Jin was like a shy kid and grew into an adult who was full of himself as he slowly realized that he was best among his peers 

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

So I'm going to go with Seol Nae Il here.

Yup, I can totally imagine her having a late night tea party with her stuffed animal toys. She was on my mind as well, but given that she has lot of family support, it is simple impossible to stay up late night, but I can see she might do it occasionally :blush:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

As you know most(generally speaking) of the men doesn't keep their  rooms tidy, doesn't have any personal Hygiene and mostly important they don't organize their stuff. So, Nae-il might be girly in some aspects like clothing, hobbies etc, but she certainly passes on as a tomboy with her day to day habits  

 

I see. :approves:

 

Mind you, the more typical trope in lighter K-dramas is for the guy to be really put together and self-sufficient and the girl to be something of a hot mess :lol:

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I thought of these two as well, but in order to be a leader one must have qualities like empathy, accommodating and some good inter-personal skills, these are seriously lacking for Gyun Woo

 

I think that, for Gyun Woo, it would be a case of becoming a leader due to charisma or a general take-charge personality. He does lack key social and interpersonal skills, as you pointed out, but depending on what age we're imagining (and what assumptions we make about kids at that age), it's possible that he and his peers aren't thinking quite so deeply yet ;) So, if we go with the preteen to early teenage years (8-14, as you said), there is a possibility that kids would gravitate to whoever's nicest, but it's also possible that they'd just flock to whoever they think is "coolest". And if the latter's the metric we use, then Gyun Woo's a viable contender.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Her screen time was so short that she never crossed my mind, know that you mention it, in order to be a journalist one has to be talking as hell and needs to strike conversation all the time. 

 

Um...how on earth did Do Yeon slip your mind??? :lol: I thought you, like, thought of both her and Nae Il and just went with Nae Il out of the two :P 

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

This one surprised me, but I get it, maybe Cha Yoo Jin was like a shy kid and grew into an adult who was full of himself as he slowly realized that he was best among his peers 

 

The way I see it, Yoo Jin's one of the biggest examples of someone who changes drastically going from childhood (especially early childhood) to adulthood. So, I think that when he was really little, he was a pretty shy and sensitive child. However, because of being pushed into the spotlight pretty much from birth (you know, because of his famous father) and being a child prodigy in his own right, he would have learned how to promote himself in public from a very young age - like, even as a 3- or 4-year old. Add to that his own father's contempt towards even the slightest hint at "weakness" or vulnerability, and we definitely have a case of innate personality traits that end up deeply suppressed over time.

 

However, I don't necessarily think that Yoo Jin genuinely believes he's actually the best out of his peers. There is reasonable argument for thinking he's one of the best (as evidenced from early episodes of Nae Il's Cantabile), and he does seem almost oblivious to how things he thought were easy could actually be challenging for others. However, at the same time, he's very much aware that 1) his skill comes as much out of hard work as it does natural talent; 2) he's blatantly being exploited by people like Professor Do, the Chairwoman, etc.; and 3) no matter how good everyone else thinks he is, his father's never going to think so. In short: I think Yoo Jin has something of a love-hate relationship with his own label as a prodigy-turned-virtuoso. He's sort of like Gu Ma Jun in that sense, actually.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Yup, I can totally imagine her having a late night tea party with her stuffed animal toys. She was on my mind as well, but given that she has lot of family support, it is simple impossible to stay up late night, but I can see she might do it occasionally 

 

Tons of family support, yes, but also probably coddled and catered to a good deal as well ;) Chances are, her parents would be aware of her nighttime escapades, but they leave her to it while laughing between themselves about how it's cute that she thinks she's being all sneaky about it :P I'm sure we've all seen parents like that :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kittyna said:

r K-dramas is for the guy to be really put together and self-sufficient and the girl to be something of a hot mess 

Well in South Asia pop culture it is often portrayed men to be a man child and really as no purpose in life and women are shown as the responsible one in a relationship. Also, there is darker side in this theme, like, it puts pressure on girls to be mature one and more forgiving and their mistakes are unacceptable, its like a colonial thing. Like the early missionary schools sort of imposed this notion on South Asia, it's like there was no "Home Science" for women before the colonial education system and  girls use to be at least had some freedom(mind you its not like that women were free and can get education, status of women in South Asia deteriorated before the colonial rule).

43 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Um...how on earth did Do Yeon slip your mind??? :lol: I thought you, like, thought of both her and Nae Il and just went with Nae Il out of the two

Like I mentioned, it is due to less screen time. It would have been nice if there were more scenes of PJG and KDY, like, the writers should have at least given a episode or two for these two characters. Like, they there can be a episode where these two traveled back in time and tried to solved mystery behind PJG's mom's murder case.

 

47 minutes ago, kittyna said:

but they leave her to it while laughing between themselves about how it's cute that she thinks she's being all sneaky about it :P I'm sure we've all seen parents like that

Lol, That scene would have been super cute, had the writers included in the drama, like, they should have shown her background story as kid who had no friends and she use to play with her stuffed toys. :fullofhearts:

Alice team reunion. By the way, who is the guy on the right of the table?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Alice team reunion. By the way, who is the guy on the right of the table?

 

I don't know, actually - I was hoping that someone who reposted the pic would end up tagging everyone, but the best I've found so far is this Korean article on the subject. I...can't read Korean much (I just try to sound things out and match what I hear with the handful of words/phrases I do know), but about halfway through the article, I did manage to make out some names: JW, Kwak Si Yang, Lee Da In, and Choi Won Young. But that only accounts for five people in the shot, and there are six. 

 

My guess for the time being (meaning: I could be wrong, and if I am, please say so) is that it's someone from the production crew rather than one of the listed actors. The article does mention the director, so...maybe?

 

(My first guess, prior to finding that article, was that the sixth person was one of the body doubles - since we know that JW filmed a lot with one due to the whole "multiple Jin Gyeoms" thing. But now I'm not so sure.)

 

11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

It would have been nice if there were more scenes of PJG and KDY, like, the writers should have at least given a episode or two for these two characters. Like, they there can be a episode where these two traveled back in time and tried to solved mystery behind PJG's mom's murder case.

 

I think that having Kim Do Yeon going back in time with Park Jin Gyeom would have opened the story up to a whole other set of complications re: unassisted time travel. Like, we know that Jin Gyeom could travel through time spontaneously because of his unique circumstances, and it seems like he's capable of bringing Yoon Tae Yi along with him - but is that the pattern, or is Tae Yi supposed to be an exception? I assumed all along that she was an exceptional case like he was, but...yeah. 

 

Rather than going back in time, I would have liked to see a flashback showing Do Yeon and Jin Gyeom as high school or university students, trying to solve the case on their own until, inevitably, the trail goes cold. Instead, we seem to have Do Yeon just telling Jin Gyeom to move on, and I'm not sure that's entirely realistic given their friendship.

 

11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well in South Asia pop culture it is often portrayed men to be a man child and really as no purpose in life and women are shown as the responsible one in a relationship. Also, there is darker side in this theme, like, it puts pressure on girls to be mature one and more forgiving and their mistakes are unacceptable, its like a colonial thing. Like the early missionary schools sort of imposed this notion on South Asia, it's like there was no "Home Science" for women before the colonial education system and  girls use to be at least had some freedom(mind you its not like that women were free and can get education, status of women in South Asia deteriorated before the colonial rule).

 

From what I've seen in dramas, variety shows, etc., I think that was also the norm in Korea not that long ago. However, in recent decades, there's been a shift - not so much towards expectations for women being relaxed (if anything, they seem to have intensified, with the whole "superwoman" ideal of having both a successful career and being a good housewife), but in the sense that the ideal man is a caregiver and not just a breadwinner. 

 

It's really obvious in, say, the 1N2D cast that JW was in: there was a noticeable generation gap between the older guys who were pretty clueless about cooking/cleaning/etc., and the younger guys who had at least some idea (with Sung Si Kyung being the most knowledgeable of the bunch).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I don't know, actually

The guy on the right is Choi Won-young, like, there are 6 people and when I have translated the article using Google translated it showed Choi Won-young along with other actors. And the guy the hat is the director of Alice

40 minutes ago, kittyna said:

there was a noticeable generation gap between the older guys who were pretty clueless about cooking/cleaning/etc

If my memory serves right, the older generation group won the competition in cooking, it is in the same episode where we get to see the Joo won's older brother. I think it is more like unwillingness of the older guys not taking part in household works rather than being clueless about cooking/cleaning etc.

 

42 minutes ago, kittyna said:

"superwoman" ideal of having both a successful career and being a good housewife

They really misinterpreted the whole women participation in the economy. Lot of men think that even if the woman is a working professional, she still needs to do the household work along with the job. It was actually the theme that men should start doing their fair share in household works so that women can be productive at work subsequently improving the country's economic productivity.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

The guy on the right is Choi Won-young, like, there are 6 people and when I have translated the article using Google translated it showed Choi Won-young along with other actors. And the guy the hat is the director of Alice

 

Okay, then - that makes sense :) 

 

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

If my memory serves right, the older generation group won the competition in cooking, it is in the same episode where we get to see the Joo won's older brother. I think it is more like unwillingness of the older guys not taking part in household works rather than being clueless about cooking/cleaning etc.

 

Yeah, the older guys did win that round. But I also remember them being completely lost during the relay cooking challenge, so it sort of wound up being Si Kyung and JW doing the whole thing. :P 

 

So in thinking about that...yeah, I agree with you that it's not so much a difference in terms of knowledge as it was the whole psychological aspect of it: like, all the guys knew something, but the older ones tended to feel more awkward about it than the younger ones. For example, there was one time where JW and Uhm Tae Woong wound up being tasked with folding a massive pile of socks, and while UTW was all like, "Crap - I do this at home already, and you want me to do it here?!?!", JW was completely unfazed and even said something like, "Just go at it with a mother's heart". Which, yes, would have sounded weird to the hyungs coming from a guy, but there you go ;) 

 

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

They really misinterpreted the whole women participation in the economy. Lot of men think that even if the woman is a working professional, she still needs to do the household work along with the job. It was actually the theme that men should start doing their fair share in household works so that women can be productive at work subsequently improving the country's economic productivity.

 

I think that's why the whole "flower boy" ideal really took off among younger generations, then, because it presents a more well-rounded take on masculinity than what had been before. So now, in youth dramas, there's a tendency for the guys to be neat and well-polished, but also able to take care of both themselves and the female lead (at least).

 

By the way, given the success of the recent round of Scattergories, I want to point out that I actually had more prompt ideas than I could fit in - so here's a quick bonus Round Two, based on the same theme:

 

Spoiler

Scattergories: Children's Day Edition (Bonus Round!)

 

Again, you guys know the drill: for each of the prompts, just say which character(s) first come to mind. Repeats are allowed, and reasons are optional (although always appreciated - I love reading about what you think of the characters).

 

Note: this one takes a bit of extra imagination, because I want you to think about what the characters would have been like as kids. Also, keep an eye out for whether I'm asking about the guys or the girls. ;) 

 

1. The JW drama guy who constantly changed his mind about what he wanted to be when he grew up

2. The JW drama girl most likely to have loved playing dolls/princesses/etc. (in short: the girly girl)

3. The JW drama guy most likely to get lost in some crowded public space like a shopping mall, amusement park, etc. (Bonus: how would he react?)

4. The JW drama girl most likely to have been the "queen bee"/bully at school

5. Inversely, the JW drama girl most likely to have been bullied or picked on by the other kids (Bonus: for what reason?)

6. The JW drama guy most likely to secretly stay up late at night (yes, this is the flip side from a prompt in the first round; and again, bonus: doing what?)

7. The JW drama girl most likely to be super-close with her mom

8. The JW drama guy most likely to accidentally hurt himself from playing too rough

9. The JW drama guy most likely to voluntarily help out around the house

10. The JW drama girl most likely to have thrown really epic tantrums when she didn't get her way

11. The JW drama guy most likely to have been terrified of going to the doctor's office when he was really little (i.e. 3-5 years old)

12. The JW drama girl most likely to try to make something in the kitchen...only to completely mess it up :P 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kittyna said:

Okay, then - that makes sense

Choi-Won-Young looked really young in the selfie picture. I was only able to recognized him after seeing his name in the post

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

"flower boy" ideal really took off among younger generations

Its almost like roles has been reversed, at lest for the leads in the drama. But the side character do take traditional roles when it comes to male and female roles, like , mom's of female or male lead are still portrayed as good housewife and are more understanding than the fathers

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, given the success of the recent round of Scattergories, I want to point out that I actually had more prompt ideas than I could fit in - so here's a quick bonus Round Two, based on the same theme:

12 characters ?!!!! :bawling::fear:

 

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

keep an eye out for whether I'm asking about the guys or the girls.

It was a one time mistake:grimace:

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

1. The JW drama guy who constantly changed his mind about what he wanted to be when he grew up

Han Gil Ro- Given his affluence background and his mother would have spoiled him in every way that he would have constantly changing his mind in every aspect of his life. Most of the Joo won's drama characters don't have luxury to pick and choose

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

2. The JW drama girl most likely to have loved playing dolls/princesses/etc. (in short: the girly girl)

Nae-il- Given her obsession with stuffed toys even in college, I can imagine that she played more with dolls than with actual kids

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

3. The JW drama guy most likely to get lost in some crowded public space like a shopping mall, amusement park, etc. (Bonus: how would he react?)

Park Jin Gyeom- As we know that he was curious kid and often wonders-off whenever his mom takes her eye off him

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

4. The JW drama girl most likely to have been the "queen bee"/bully at school

I have two characters in mind, cha Yoon Seo and Han Yeo jin. But I am more inclined towards Han Yeo Jin, it is in her character to be a queen bee, and Cha Yoon Seo strikes more like a tomboy kind of kid

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

5. Inversely, the JW drama girl most likely to have been bullied or picked on by the other kids (Bonus: for what reason?)

Nae-il- Because of her odd nature and childish behavior, its like she would be more childish when compared to her peers.

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

6. The JW drama guy most likely to secretly stay up late at night (yes, this is the flip side from a prompt in the first round; and again, bonus: doing what?)

Kim Tae Hyun- Well he needs practice to do home call surgeries when he grows up to be a doctor and I think he would working hard to become a doctor in order to cure his sister and make money

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

7. The JW drama girl most likely to be super-close with her mom

Well, this is difficult one, except Nae-Il and Kim Seo Won, no other Joo won's drama female lead had a normla childhood and most of the times their mom are not shown, either the mom was dead or banished. So, I will go with Nae-Il because Kim Seo Won had some issues with her parents

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

8. The JW drama guy most likely to accidentally hurt himself from playing too rough

Lee Kang To- No particular reason, he is just like a kid who plays rough

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

9. The JW drama guy most likely to voluntarily help out around the house

Cha Yoo Jin- Well the fact that he knew everything like cooking to folding clothes, points that he sort helped around in household chores, but it was for different reason, like, he wanted to be independent from his mom and maybe he thought he would learn quickly about maintaining a house by helping in household chores

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

10. The JW drama girl most likely to have thrown really epic tantrums when she didn't get her way

Baek Ja-Eun- Well the writers made it obvious what she can do, when things don't go in her way

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

11. The JW drama guy most likely to have been terrified of going to the doctor's office when he was really little (i.e. 3-5 years old)

Han Gil Ro- It was a hard choice to make, since every character of Joo won is unique  and it is hard to know if the characters were afraid of anything, I choose Han Gil Ro because he is the only one who had a normal childhood

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

12. The JW drama girl most likely to try to make something in the kitchen...only to completely mess it up

Since we are talking about the characters when they were kids, and in order to make a mess in kitchen one needs to have access to kitchen which is possible only in the case of Nae-il and Kim Seo Won and Cha Yoon Seo. Since cha Yoo seon only likes to cut the human body  and kim seo won seems like someone who would be mature even when she was a kid. I choose Nae-il.

  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

12 characters ?!!!!

 

Well, you pulled off 11 without even thinking about it the first time around ;) 

 

13 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

It was a one time mistake

 

Which you walked right into this time - twice :lol:

 

In all seriousness, though: I put rules like that as a general reminder, and not in response to any one person's responses. Like, if you look back at previous Scattergories challenges, I literally put something along the lines of "read the prompts carefully to make sure if I'm asking about the guys or girls" more often than not.

 

(I'll do a more proper set of reactions/responses to your answers later - you know, in case you want to change anything ;))

 

13 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Choi-Won-Young looked really young in the selfie picture. I was only able to recognized him after seeing his name in the post

 

Yeah, I honestly did not recognize him at all there :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Which you walked right into this time - twice 

What's wrong with my eye sight ? :headbang: Anyway, I rectified the mistakes, it's good thing you pointed it out. In my defense, you sort of cramped the questions and girl/guy were sort of hard to read, I was like reading these two words interchangeably and it was hard to distinguish

 

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

you know, in case you want to change anything ;))

Hahaha- You are so funny :unamused:

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

In my defense, you sort of cramped the questions and girl/guy were sort of hard to read, I was like reading these two words interchangeably and it was hard to distinguish

 

 

Duly noted - I'll keep that in mind and change future formatting accordingly. :approves:

 

This does tell me something of your thought process in putting your answers together as well, which now seems to be different from mine.

 

25 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Hahaha- You are so funny

 

To be honest, I actually really liked your picks for those prompts, even if they weren't exactly what I asked for. So no hard feelings:foryou:

 

52 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Park Jin Gyeom- As we know that he was curious kid and often wonders-off whenever his mom takes her eye off him

 

That's a good point :) Actually, when it came time for me to think about this prompt, I was surprised to find that for the most part, the characters' moms would be far more likely to freak out than any of the kids themselves. :P 

 

53 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Kim Tae Hyun- Well he needs practice to do home call surgeries when he grows up to be a doctor and I think he would working hard to become a doctor in order to cure his sister and make money

 

Good Lord - what kind of nighttime shenanigans were you imagining here? :loolz:

 

Okay, I'm sure you meant, say, studying and whatnot - but the fact that you started with "Well, he needs practice to do home call surgeries" was just too much fun to resist :lol: 

 

I will admit to being surprised at your choosing Tae Hyun at first, but it is growing on me. Maybe it took me a while because I had a hard time visualizing how it would play out in his family's one-room apartment, where everyone would end up sleeping together on the floor. But now that I think about it, if he just sat in the corner with only a desk lamp on or something, I don't think his mom or sister would've minded him staying up late for schoolwork. His dad, though...yeah, Tae Hyun would probably only be able to get away with this on the nights when he's not home.

 

58 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo Jin- Well the fact that he knew everything like cooking to folding clothes, points that he sort helped around in household chores, but it was for different reason, like, he wanted to be independent from his mom and maybe he thought he would learn quickly about maintaining a house by helping in household chores

 

He also mentions that he learned from "having a mom who hates cleaning" - meaning, if he wants a house that meets his own standards for tidiness (which I imagine he got from his dad), he's gonna have to do it himself ;) 

 

As for my own responses...I think I'll have to sleep on them, lest I end up messing up my own challenge. Now that would be awkward :headbang:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

To be honest, I actually really liked your picks for those prompts, even if they weren't exactly what I asked for. So no hard feelings

Me too, I meant it in sarcastic way :)

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I will admit to being surprised at your choosing Tae Hyun at first, but it is growing on me. Maybe it took me a while because I had a hard time visualizing how it would play out in his family's one-room apartment, where everyone would end up sleeping together on the floor. But now that I think about it, if he just sat in the corner with only a desk lamp on or something, I don't think his mom or sister would've minded him staying up late for schoolwork. His dad, though...yeah, Tae Hyun would probably only be able to get away with this on the nights when he's not home.

Out of all the characters, Kim Tae Hyun is the one with street smart skills, so, I imagined that while Kim Tae Hyun started taking risk at a early age, maybe when he was as young 10 years old, he would have started doing odd jobs to help his family financially. Also, I sort of applied the logic this logic: which is the habits of a person's childhood will shape her/his adult behavior or habits.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

As for my own responses...I think I'll have to sleep on them, lest I end up messing up my own challenge. Now that would be awkward 

Lol! Serves you right for making this challenge long and complex :evillaugh:(sarcasm).

Jokes apart, I really enjoyed this challenge even though it was long and challenging, it was good exercise :foryou:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Out of all the characters, Kim Tae Hyun is the one with street smart skills, so, I imagined that while Kim Tae Hyun started taking risk at a early age, maybe when he was as young 10 years old, he would have started doing odd jobs to help his family financially.

 

Same, actually - I think he would have had one hectic schedule growing up, since he would simultaneously want to keep his grades up (so he could get into med school to become a doctor) and work to support his family. It's a lot for a kid to handle - and my research for fic-writing reveals that there are strict laws against child labour in Korea (i.e. even teenagers need written permission from their parents, and I'm not sure his mom would allow it) - but he does manage somehow :) 

 

And now, for my own takes!

 

1. The JW drama guy who constantly changed his mind about what he wanted to be when he grew up

 

For me, the hardest part to figure out was which characters didn't already have their minds set on a specific profession (or didn't already have a specific path set for them by their parents) when they were kids. Once I did that, it actually wound up ruling out most of them. 

 

Spoiler

Gu Ma Jun had no choice, since his parents decided what he should do from the start - he did manage to go about it in his own way, though. And Hwang Tae Hui, Park Si On, Cha Yoo Jin, Kim Tae Hyun, and Gyun Woo seemed to already know what job (or job field) they wanted from the start, too.

 

So that leaves me with just a few options (Lee Kang To, Han Gil Ro, Park Jin Gyeom), and out of those, I also agree that Han Gil Ro is the most likely one for constantly changing his mind in that way little kids do - whereas Kang To and Jin Gyeom probably never thought that far ahead when they were little. If I want a different answer, I'd have to turn to supporting characters, at which point I'd say Hwang Tae Pil. ;) 

 

2. The JW drama girl most likely to have loved playing dolls/princesses/etc. (in short: the girly girl)

 

Nae Il's a really strong choice here, but I think that Baek Ja Eun is also a possible contender. She does have a strong interest in fashion and design, so I could see her dressing up her dolls in really creative outfits or even playing dress-up herself :) Plus, her father dotes on her like she actually is a princess, so....

 

3. The JW drama guy most likely to get lost in some crowded public space like a shopping mall, amusement park, etc. (Bonus: how would he react?)

 

To be honest, I think most of the characters would have wandered off and gotten lost at least once in their lives, as most of them are naturally curious and even the most obedient or cautious of them will end up getting sidetracked by something (e.g. Cha Yoo Jin in my set of mini Mother's Day fics, where he'd usually stay close to his mom, but all bets are off once he hears a street musician :P).

 

So, you know what? Let's just go with that and think about what would happen if mini-Yoo Jin got lost in public for the reason I described above. Honestly, if music was the distraction, I think it would take him quite a while to even notice his parents were no longer in sight, and it'd be his mom panicking rather than him. :P 

 

(Actually, for most of these characters, it'd be the moms freaking out more than the kids.)

 

4. The JW drama girl most likely to have been the "queen bee"/bully at school

 

Out of the main female leads, I also think Han Yeo Jin is the best choice here. We know she's got quite a vicious side when she feels slighted or wronged, even as a child. Also, even if she doesn't become a bully intentionally (since she's also under heavy expectations to act like a lady, etiquette classes and all), she could be so sheltered due to her social status that she'd be condescending to other girls without even realizing it.

 

As for my second place, I actually thought of Baek Ja Eun, for much of the same reasons.

 

5. Inversely, the JW drama girl most likely to have been bullied or picked on by the other kids (Bonus: for what reason?)

 

Here, I can think of two: Seol Nae Il and Shin Yu Kyung. For Nae Il, it'd be because of her eccentricity and oddball behaviour, for which I think she would have coped by withdrawing even further into her own childish fantasies (a rather vicious cycle, if you think about it). As for Yu Kyung...kids can be vicious and will end up picking on those who are marginalized in their group with little mercy or consideration of their hardships. So considering that her father's something of the town drunk and her home life is quite a mess, I can see the other kids picking on or refusing to play with her at some point in her life.

 

6. The JW drama guy most likely to secretly stay up late at night (yes, this is the flip side from a prompt in the first round; and again, bonus: doing what?)

 

Since it's already shown in the drama, I'm going to go with Gyun Woo here. In hindsight, I'm surprised at just how little supervision he had when he was 9/10 years old, that he could sneak out in the middle of the night at all, let alone several times. But those chaotic flashback events aside, I think he would usually just stay up late reading: too caught up to really notice how late it was.

 

7. The JW drama girl most likely to be super-close with her mom

 

My pick here is Hye Myung, for what I hope are obvious reasons ;) 

 

8. The JW drama guy most likely to accidentally hurt himself from playing too rough

 

Here, I'm going to say Kim Tae Hyun. I see him as the kid with street smarts who spent more time playing outdoors than at home. And since he has a strong adventurous streak as an adult - not to mention knowing something of parkour, if the drama's trailer is to be trusted - I can imagine that even as a kid, he'd be the type to climb high and jump around on the playground equipment :P 

 

9. The JW drama guy most likely to voluntarily help out around the house

 

Cha Yoo Jin's the obvious choice, but I also think of Kim Tae Hyun here. I think he'd be the sort of kid who'd try to make things easier for his mom from a really early age, especially if she has to go out to work in order to make ends meet :) 

 

10. The JW drama girl most likely to have thrown really epic tantrums when she didn't get her way

 

I'm going to say Han Yeo Jin - again, because the drama already establishes it. Like, just how violent would she have had to be to smash an expensive tennis racquet at such a young age? And even the butler, who has loved and cared for her unconditionally all her life, admits that she was one difficult child to handle.

 

11. The JW drama guy most likely to have been terrified of going to the doctor's office when he was really little (i.e. 3-5 years old)

 

Okay, at that age, considering just how many vaccinations are involved, most kids would be terrified: the main exceptions here would be Park Si On (who'd be more curious/fascinated than scared), Kim Tae Hyun (who I think would have the easiest time braving through it) and Park Jin Gyeom (who's not fazed by anything at that age). So, out of those who would be scared, I think I'm going to say Cha Yoo Jin, because I think he's the most likely to have a negative experience overall: not only would he be really nervous about the shots to begin with, but he's the one who's most likely to end up being scolded rather than comforted afterwards (if his father's around - his mother would be all for comforting him, though).

 

12. The JW drama girl most likely to try to make something in the kitchen...only to completely mess it up :P

 

I'm also going to go with Seol Nae Il here, because I see her as the type of kid who'd have big plans (e.g. making a birthday cake for her parents or grandmother), but poor execution. ;) 

 

JW looking cool in his Instagram Story

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kittyna said:

but I think that Baek Ja Eun 

She is my second choice, but given her artistic skills, I sort of assumed that she would be more interested in making things rather than playing with dolls, so I choose Nae-il over her.

37 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Hye Myung, for what I hope are obvious reasons

I though of her too, but her mom was banished from the kingdom and there were some rumors about her being unfaithful towards his father. So, I dropped her due to these conflicts

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I though of her too, but her mom was banished from the kingdom and there were some rumors about her being unfaithful towards his father. So, I dropped her due to these conflicts

 

She was still close to her mother, though - to the extent of taking her mom's side while all this was going on (albeit with a limited child's understanding, but part of her hostility towards her stepmother comes from that loyalty). 

 

JW meeting with friends(?) who saw Ghost - At least I think they're his real-life friends, since another post from this same account calls him "Junwon-ie hyung", and the post-er and JW end up chatting in the comments :) 

 

Another pic from the same day, this time shared by someone in his staff

 

Tiny little behind-the-scenes snippet from one of Alice's best action scenes - This was shared by Yang Ji Il, who played one of the guys in Yoo Min Hyuk's team

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...