Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

@mrdimples @Ma OO Thanks for reminding me to keep my expectations loooow. That's the only way to ensure that I don't start tearing out my hair if Joowon doesn't get a big award.

But he's won the biggest award already anyway. He won my heart. (OHMYGAHHHH did you all cringe with me? Damn, giggles, you gotta tone down the kdramas.)

It doesn't keep me from wondering if they'll give him a chance to perform at SBS? I always liked KBS for loving Joowon so much for the award show performances. He's been performing on stage for the award show except for last year when TC didn't do well. (The truth hurts).  My favourite was when he sung If I Were and little baby Sion started the song for him all tone-deaf and a ball of cuteness he is. Gah. My favourite child actor and my favourite actor. 

(and u guys are awesome for subbing this vid *thumbs up*)

I'll hang around this thread until right before the awards show. I'll be MIA a few hours after the award show airs cos I won't be watching the live stream (PST time zone here) so I have to watch the show when the raw vid is available. And I don't want to be spoilt ;) So if it's good I'll run here screaming and if it's bad I'll need a group hug and Kleenex sponsor for a year. 

• Like 6

Gahhhh~ cant think of anything else but upcoming SBS Drama Awards!

Did you realize that Joo Won is the youngest on the list of Daesang nominations this year? There were various names mentioned, but this latest article mentioned SBS shortlisted 4 candidates to Joo Won (Yongpal), Yoo Ah In (Six Flying Dragons), Kim Rae Won (Punch), and Kim Hyun Joo (I Have A Lover). I've noticed since some time ago that he is the youngest out of all candidates mentioned. :D

CXdNf8aVAAAcR_i.jpg

Source: http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003231231

Even during Good doctor, he was the youngest to be nominated for Daesang, and had he won in 2013, he would be the youngest Daesang winner in history.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, callmegiggles said:

But he's won the biggest award already anyway. He won my heart. (OHMYGAHHHH did you all cringe with me? Damn, giggles, you gotta tone down the kdramas.)

LOL! You just made my morning off to a great start. :lol:

-

I must admit I'm kind of nervous + excited for SBS. I never get nervous for award shows or things like this unless it's Joowon. I remember being all jittery on Yongpal's premiere otl. Must be the Joowon effect.

In regards to the Daesang I do want Joowon to win but much like everyone I still feel the disappointment of 2012. So I'll just take it easy and expect the unexpected. 

@mrdimples Now I won't be able to watch SW without imagining Jedi Joowon in it. Ha not complaining though. ^-^

• Like 6

6 hours ago, farbarri said:

Did you realize that Joo Won is the youngest on the list of Daesang nominations this year? There were various names mentioned, but this latest article mentioned SBS shortlisted 4 candidates to Joo Won (Yongpal), Yoo Ah In (Six Flying Dragons), Kim Rae Won (Punch), and Kim Hyun Joo (I Have A Lover). I've noticed since some time ago that he is the youngest out of all candidates mentioned. :D

CXdNf8aVAAAcR_i.jpg

Source: http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003231231

Even during Good doctor, he was the youngest to be nominated for Daesang, and had he won in 2013, he would be the youngest Daesang winner in history.

Oh..I thought Yoo Ah In is also a 1987er until I saw @farbarri post and looked up his profile online. Isn't 1986er supposed to be enlisted by this year? 

Yeah Everyone of us here agrees he deserves the top Daesang award. Since he already had a Top Excellence Acting award, I really hope he becomes the youngest male Daesang winner tomorrow night! If I'm not wrong, the youngest Daesang winner is Moon Guen Young who won in 2008 for Painter of the Wind in SBS. She was only 22 yrs old back then so I trust SBS will not consider seniority this year too. And I'm also praying that the sunbaes will not attend tomorrow so that our humble and respectful JW will not feel bad looking at them from the stage.

Like many pp here, I have never been excited about the korean dramas awards. Most of the awards aren't given to the more deserving ones (in my opinion) so I seldom watched live. But my eyes will be glued to the screen for JW tomorrow! Hee.. Regardless of the results, let's enjoy tomorrow's show because I'm very sure even if it's not Daesang, he will be up on the stage to deliver his thank you speech in his handsome tux :D

• Like 5

19 hours and 38 minutes to SBS Drama Awards

After reading all your posts I can't help but feel excited and a little giddy for the awards show. @bjvipb2uty Let me join your nervous-excited energy. I'll try not to channel too much of that into expectations for the awards, rather I'm just going to be happy to see him all dressed up spiffy and handsome. I wish he will wear his hair up. No bangs pls. And the hairstylist better not colour in his hairline to make his hairline look round. In physiognomy a square looking forehead is good for a man! (Lol even going as far as superstition pfft)

And after seeing @farbarri post, I have to admit my hopes went up a pinch cos out of the people on the list Yongpal did the best in terms of ratings. Heck, it's the drama of the year for public broadcasting ratings wise. (Reply 1988 is hot over at the cable side.) But I heard Kim Rae Won was wonderful in Punch (it's an SBS drama right?) and so is Yoo Ah In in 6 Dragons. Kim Hyun Joo's weekend drama isn't doing well but I do like her as an actress. So much poise and elegance but she pulls off ahjumma well too. Too bad this drama is terrible; my mom watched 27 episodes (me: why so many?) and dropped it. So yeah, anyway, what I mean is that he has a good chance of winning... BUT WAIT. How are these things determined? Is it by public vote or internal stuff? But anyway no idols on the list so don't have to worry about fandom voting power :) 

I wanna see him win best couple with KTH, play a BTS of a kiss scene or ask cheeky questions to put him and KTH in an awkward position. That's gonna be so much fun.  On top of it all, I wanna see him cry or get choked up when he wins something ahahahaha!

• Like 5

right now,Joo Won is well loved by other while Yong Pal is well "hated" by netizens. It was somewhat disappointment for many other,even for some Joo Won fans. What I worry is netizens will turn against him for winning Daesang,if he ever wins. And Honestly speaking,JW deserves Daesang in my opinion for his acting and effort while the drama YP is a bit too infamous for his hardwork. I hope netizens understand that not-so-good drama can still have superb acting from casts.

• Like 5

I want to say that he should get all the awards just for putting in that much effort, but was the role of Yong Pal really that much of a challenge for him, acting-wise?  Maybe it's overly idealistic of me, but I'd want anyone who won the Daesang to feel like they deserved it.  Or be able to feel proud of it, you know?  That's why the 2012 KBS awards were disappointing, because Gaksital both got pretty decent ratings and was a hugely challenging role. 

I guess I'm just saying that if they're just giving it to him to reward them for ratings, then I'm not going to be happy either.  And the way things go, that's what people are going to say, whether SBS was legitimately awarding on merit or not (and we all know that they don't, exactly).

What am I saying?  Haha.  I don't know.  I hope he wins something, but whatever it is, it doesn't make him a target.  I know he did a great job in Yong Pal, even if I'm ambivalent about the drama itself, but those ratings are making things complicated.  He will win something, but what?  And why?

Anyway, just a heads up to anyone with access to viki...looks like they'll be subbing the SBS Drama Awards, so that'll be fun!  I'm sure I've never seen that happen before.  That's a pretty big task, but it should be fun to watch once they get it subbed.

• Like 6

I will do my pitching here today.( 1st post ) It's going to be a home run for Joo Won , Kim Tae Hee and the Yong Pal team at the SBS awards Ceremony. You bet I'm in feverish anticipation of the the beautiful OTP heading to the stage, all dazzling and shining like stars. You bet too I have faith that Yong Pal is the drama of the year ..... ratings don't lie,  and  the gifted Joo Won will win big. The photographers will trip over themselves over stunning Kim Tae Hee as she holds onto gorgeous Joo Won to receive their awards........ ( oh...and I hope the paps trip on jealous anti fans...Maybe then they will sober up....Yep, am in a meanie mean mood now..... so sue me)

I agree with someone here who said the charming Joo Won should wear his hair up.... 100 %. That zaps up his masculinity. In his tux, he is the epitome of sexiness, as in HOT. The heat causes fainting spells.

So too will Windy Hill be flashed on the large screen and heaven descends. You're still with me? Not too cheezy? Heck, I like cheezy ...it's  the new classy ... hahaha... ( I made that up )

Ta......... I'm catching the ceremony in my party hat, blower, champagne and designer chocolates. Until then.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ma OO said:

right now,Joo Won is well loved by other while Yong Pal is well "hated" by netizens. It was somewhat disappointment for many other,even for some Joo Won fans. What I worry is netizens will turn against him for winning Daesang,if he ever wins. And Honestly speaking,JW deserves Daesang in my opinion for his acting and effort while the drama YP is a bit too infamous for his hardwork. I hope netizens understand that not-so-good drama can still have superb acting from casts.

Hi! I'm not really new here in Soompi. I'm a newly registered member but I have been lurking around for years here. I'm just wondering, why the netizens 'hated' Yong Pal? 

4 hours ago, Kate Jolie said:

Hi! I'm not really new here in Soompi. I'm a newly registered member but I have been lurking around for years here. I'm just wondering, why the netizens 'hated' Yong Pal? 

I'd say it's the writing of the second half. The terrible editing - Joowon walked through the door twice. They gave KTH cancer. They made the evil sister-in-law fall in love too quickly and for a dumb reason... There are lots of not-so-good in that drama.

But despite that, I have a lot of friends who said that they watched the show because of Joowon and he carried the show so well in the beginning and that was the ONLY reason why they continued watching. I think most who watched would agree with that? Anyway my friends did (tho one abandoned ship at ep12 but sing Joowon praises) and they totally understood why I was a Joowon fan (I felt so proud). I hope that they can distinguish that Yongpal is Yongpal, and Joowon is Joowon. Joowon can be magical and awesome even if Yongpal sucked a bit. 

Spoiler

If you follow TW entertainment, Yongpal is kinda like It Started With A Kiss. A good and hyped up show that really is nothing without Ariel Lin. Yes, there were lots of good older actors in that show but the show was purely set on her shoulders and she made her dense character cute and loveable and fantastic. I usually hate characters like that but she was so good in that one.

I'm not saying Yongpal is nothing without Joowon. I'm saying Yongpal is nothing without all the actors. I also hope people don't take this wrongly, I'm not delusional. KTH contributed to the show and did a brilliant job as well. But it is a show that was riding more on the acting (leads and supporting roles) and this is prominent in the second half. So what I mean is that the acting should be given credit, the writing and directing maybe not so much for the second half. Sorry if I'm not careful enough with my wording but I'm carefully thinking this out and not blind fangirling.

If I'm causing problems with my post, I'll zip it. Sorry :tears:

Sorry @ecs707a I didn't mean to make it sound like they gave Daesang because of ratings :sweatingbullets: I'm just saying that it is a factor that will increase his chances.  I didn't say how awesome Joowon is cos I thought that's already a given :P:w00t::wub:

@lavender2love I called the hair up, no bangs! You and me, we make a great pair of Joowon cheerleaders. And bring on the cheesy stuff. And I'll bring the champagne flute, you bring the champagne! Let's partayyyy!

14 hours to SBS Drama Awards!

EDIT: Joowon will be on Vapp today!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kate Jolie said:

It's never as straightforward as they hate Yong Pal because of the drama itself. 

I try and think of all those dramas which didn't work for me. At the most benign level, I got bored and dropped them. At the other extreme, some frustrated me, laughed in ridicule and made me regret the hours spend watching crap or a decent drama gone to seed. I don't think I ever hated a drama. Let's take Heirs for an example. I think it's loads of unspeakable and cannot believe how overhyped it was but I never hated it or hated on it. 

So, I think viewers who genuinely watched Yong Pal and didn't like it for whatever reason could have feelings as strong as these- disappointment, frustration and regret. Those who hate it and hate on it have other reasons, probably none of which has to do with the drama itself. Lemme guess: 

- drama fans who hate the fact that Yong Pal got high ratings and their fav drama got lower or low ratings. 

- actor fans who hate the fact that Joo Won has another one in the bag. Note that no antis succeeded in putting a dent in his acting in Yong Pal. I know fandom has all levels of craziness and apparently in Yong Pal, even antis think it's too crazy to heap richard simmons on Joo Won's acting. Their recourse is to attack the drama and very possibly in tonight awards if he wins big. They will convince themselves and others that any award Joo Won wins is due to the fact that YP has undeserved high ratings and not due to his own merit. 

• Like 4

@callmegiggles I watched Yong Pal via the internet two months ago. I actually finished the whole drama in three days. I was really hooked. But now that you've explained it, I think I get it now. I did find the latter part of Yong Pal kinda overboard- especially the cancer thing. The ending was kinda hanging (?) It ended with KTH opening her eyes. I was hoping a happy ending with Joo Won and KTH finally living out their romance. And I even find it a little frustrating that the evil brother was in love with his wife all along. I remember it just happened somewhere in the latter part without proper development. I was kinda surprised. I did wish there was a better love line between them even if it ended tragically. 

@mrdimples You're right. It's not really so much as hating it. I think people would find Yong Pal frustrating because of how it developed towards the end. But it did have a solid start. So, maybe it did so well in the beginning that the viewers just stayed tuned to see it in the end- not to mention Joo Won's great acting. I admit it didn't get boring but it get frustrating and disappointing towards the end. 

But I do think Joo Won was great all through out and maybe that's the reason I held on until the end and sort of overlooked those shocking bits in the end. I felt kinda bad that KTH won an excellence award in the Korean Drama Awards and Joo Won didn't win any although he was nominated within the Daesang category. I remember, Kim Soo Hyun, won it, right? 

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys! 

• Like 5

@Kate Jolie Glad you enjoyed Yongpal :heart: and @mrdimples is right. "Hate" is a strong word and it stems from a different place. The stuff I wrote about only brings about "frustration", "disappoinment" and words that are not as strong as hate.  

Anyway, welcome to the thread and stay for the party. The award show starts in 6 hours-ish and I'll be off to dreamland at that time so I'll join the after event party. Cross fingers we can bust out the champagne! xoxo

P.S. Any guesses what he'll be wearing? Any bedazzled bowties (OMG NO) or an orange jacket (DOUBLE NO) or pocket square?

• Like 3

I've been reading a lot of articles about SBS dramas and potential candidates. For Yongpal, some articles mentioned 'despite the controversial storyline, ...' then goes off to brag about the ratings and acting in the drama. Not one article mentioned ratings alone when it comes to Joowon and Yongpal. I'm not exaggerating when I say almost ALL articles acknowledged both ratings & acting, and Joowon delivered both for Yongpal.

Recently, some media are pretty professional when it comes to analyzing the winners. They rarely wrote about the storyline, for they know that Daesang and acting awards are to be awarded for actors/actresses whom have analyzed the characters well, acted brilliantly, and puts in hard efforts. Ratings are not fully an indication of the winners for there have been lots of times when Daesang winners came from medium rating drama. That is why the list of SBS nominees extended to dramas with not so high ratings, but have great actors/actresses. It's not so much about the production or storyline, but it's the actors/actresses themselves.

Like you girls, I used to be concerned on the hate Joowon will get if he wins Daesang. I dont want people to say that he won just because of ratings alone. But I'm not gonna let haters get in the way of Joowon and what he deserves when professionals acknowledge his talent. Haters gonna hate. I'm gonna keep spreading the love for Joowon, and keep being positive. :)

keep-calm-and-love-joo-won.png

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ecs707a said:

I want to say that he should get all the awards just for putting in that much effort, but was the role of Yong Pal really that much of a challenge for him, acting-wise?  Maybe it's overly idealistic of me, but I'd want anyone who won the Daesang to feel like they deserved it.  Or be able to feel proud of it, you know?  That's why the 2012 KBS awards were disappointing, because Gaksital both got pretty decent ratings and was a hugely challenging role. 

I guess I'm just saying that if they're just giving it to him to reward them for ratings, then I'm not going to be happy either.  And the way things go, that's what people are going to say, whether SBS was legitimately awarding on merit or not (and we all know that they don't, exactly).

What am I saying?  Haha.  I don't know.  I hope he wins something, but whatever it is, it doesn't make him a target.  I know he did a great job in Yong Pal, even if I'm ambivalent about the drama itself, but those ratings are making things complicated.  He will win something, but what?  And why?

Anyway, just a heads up to anyone with access to viki...looks like they'll be subbing the SBS Drama Awards, so that'll be fun!  I'm sure I've never seen that happen before.  That's a pretty big task, but it should be fun to watch once they get it subbed.

This can only happen to Joo Won. Really. 

If any other actor pulled off a Kim Tae Hyun a.k.a Yong Pal the way Joo Won did, his fans would have said he deserved an Oscar. And they may be 'right', it could be the best performance in an actor's career. 

But because it's Joo Won we are talking about, Yong Pal/KTH was just another awesome character he pulled off, in the company of Ma Jun, Hwang Taehee, Park Si On, Cha Yoojin(my lovely maestro, ratings notwithstanding) and of course, the legendary Lee Kangto. 

Does Joo Won deserve a Daesang for his role in Yong Pal? Maybe not........but that's MY Daesang. I'd probably give it to Joo Won in Gaksital or Good Doctor. But if it's the Daesang which has been given out to the likes of Kim Soo Hyun and others, can I say Joo Won should have won a handful of Daesangs by now? 

I promise to be more politically correct in 2016 but it's still 2015. 

• Like 5

Apparently, this David wears clothes, what a bummer! 

Screenshot_2015-12-31-14-18-48-1_zpsfkag

credit: JW DC

Is this a Chinese brand? First time, Joo Won endorsing Chinese brand. 

Nope, it's an offshoot of Basic House. Maybe it's being marketed in Chinese so I read the Chinese website.

• Like 6

Hi guys! I'm new on this thread and I somehow happen to know about the SBS Drama Awards tonight. Are Joo Won and Kim Tae Hee sure be attending later? Coz in these award shows, those who didn't attend mostly didn't win any awards either. So are they confirmed for the red carpet tonight?:wub:

1 hour ago, mrdimples said:

Nope, it's an offshoot of Basic House. Maybe it's being marketed in Chinese so I read the Chinese website.

@mrdimples yes, "I'm David" is Basic House's brand in China. JW said in latest Vapp chat that he was shooting for Mind Bridge which is another brand of Basic House. Compared to Basic House, Mind Bridge is more suitable for professional working class. I personally like Mind Bridge's business wear for its chic style so I'm really happy JW is endorsing this brand. Sung Joon and Gong Yoo had endorsed Mind Bridge previously and I remember seeing Gong Yoo's BIG posters for Mind Bridge at Robinsons  Department Store. Looks like next year I will pop by Robinsons men's section frequently to see JW! :D

• Like 5