Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Since it was confirmed that Cutie will be joining Green Scalpel and will have a love line with Moon Chae Won despite his character being autistic and described as someone with a mind of a 10 year old, I was more than piqued.

I know very little about autism and have only know a handful of children with this disorder in real life, no adults, teenagers at most. There appears to be more and more children being diagnosed with autism over a wide spectrum but this could be due to the fact that little was known about this disorder and now professionals in the medical field are more likely to make an accurate diagnosis and parents are more aware of the signs of this disorder. It's probably just a tip of the iceberg because there are many myths about Autism, some of whom I believed to be true. Just google and you can read quite a number of articles on it. I will post one example here:

source: http://thecommunicareproject.blogspot.sg/2013/03/10-myths-about-autism.html

10 Myths about autism and people with autism, and why they are untrue.

• People with autism don't want friends, and are antisocial. 
Many people with autism struggle with social skills, making them seem unsocial or shy, but that's just because they are unable to express their feelings in the same way as everyone else.
  • Autistic people do not understand, and cannot feel, emotions.
Autistic people are often times more empathetic than non-autistics. [ http://www.autismandempathy.com/ ] Autistic people can and do fall in love and get hurt just as easily as any other human being. 
  • The disorder of autism gets worse over time. 
"Autism and autism spectrum disorders are not inherently degenerative conditions. In fact, some patients have been known to slough off the symptoms of autism altogether with the right combination of medications and psychological guidance." Source
  • Autism is caused by bad parenting. 
Autism is not caused by anything in particular. A child cannot 'catch' autism as they would a cold or flu. In the 1950's autism was said to be caused by 'refrigerator mothers' - mothers who lacked emotional warmth. This has been disproven many times.
  • Autistic kids are just like Rain Man. 
Raymond (Rain Man) was a character in Rain Man, a 1988 film, which was one of the first times the world was told about autism and people with autism. Raymond was an autistic man who was unable to communicate or interact socially on many levels, and, among other things, his autism was portrayed by hitting and banging when situations got tense. This is not true of all autistic people, but some, and is now one of the first things that people think of when they think of autism. Many autistic people are high functioning and able to fully participate in society.
  • Autism is a form of mental retardation.
Individuals with autism and autism spectrum disorders actually harbor average to above average intelligence. Symptoms of autism include communication issues, difficulty in social situations, and repetitive behavior patterns. At no point does mental retardation ever factor into an autism diagnosis – any possible cases where both conditions are present have nothing to do with one another.  Source
  • People with autism have no sense of humor, and are completely unsocial.
Autistic people may not always be able to follow the joke, or understand the refference, but they have been known to crack a joke just as you or I.
  • Autistic people don't feel love
Autistic people feel love as much as any 'normal' person, if not more. There was a NYTimes article about a couple with autism in Dec, 2011. [ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/us/navigating-love-and-autism.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 ]
  • People with autism cannot function enough on their own to be active members of society. 
Can't function? One autistic girl went all the way to semi-finals in the Miss America pageant, and received the 'People's Choice' award! [ http://www.krtv.com/news/miss-montana-among-15-finalists-in-miss-america-pageant/#_ ]
  • All autistic people are the same, or alike. 
Saying that all autistic people are the same is like saying that every snowflake is the same, or that every girl/boy out there is exactly like you. It is untrue. Each person (autistic or not) performs in their own ways at their own speed. 
I hope that this has opened some peoples eyes, either about what they thought they knew about autism, or to realize what other people think. Spread the word about what autism really is.
***end***

I read a number of blogs written by autistic people who share their difficulties and how like everyone else, fall in love and have sexual desires. The differences lie in the way they communicate, convey their feelings, ability to process the other party's interactions with them and others.

Hence it is not unimaginable after all for Joo Won's character to have a love line. He has a mind that is socially stunted at 10 years old but that doesn't mean he has no propensity to love or feel sexual desires. In all likelihood like many high functioning autistic people, he is aware of his condition and can be or is trained to overcome some of those difficulties that his disorder caused. From what I read, it seems like autistic people are more likely to be victimized in a "love" relationship and often they can get into hot soup for unwanted love or sexual overtures if their conditions are not known. Though like anyone else, they can give and receive love, the other party must be someone who understand their condition, how their minds work and love them despite the difficulties.

I am keeping my fingers crossed as to how the writer and director will portray the romance bit in this drama. I hope they will do a good job not so much for entertainment but through the show, dispel more myths about Autism than create them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKQMa1qxFo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Since @mrdimples posted about Autism,I believe this video will explain a little bit about Autism and clear some assumptions that autistics can't fall in love.I myself know a very little information about Autism,even though i have done some projects about it.Not all the autistic behave like them.

mrdimples said: Since it was confirmed that Cutie will be joining Green Scalpel and will have a love line with Moon Chae Won despite his character being autistic and described as someone with a mind of a 10 year old, I was more than piqued.

I know very little about autism and have only know a handful of children with this disorder in real life, no adults, teenagers at most. There appears to be more and more children being diagnosed with autism over a wide spectrum but this could be due to the fact that little was known about this disorder and now professionals in the medical field are more likely to make an accurate diagnosis and parents are more aware of the signs of this disorder. It's probably just a tip of the iceberg because there are many myths about Autism, some of whom I believed to be true. Just google and you can read quite a number of articles on it. I will post one example here:

[article]

I read a number of blogs written by autistic people who share their difficulties and how like everyone else, fall in love and have sexual desires. The differences lie in the way they communicate, convey their feelings, ability to process the other party's interactions with them and others.

Hence it is not unimaginable after all for Joo Won's character to have a love line. He has a mind that is socially stunted at 10 years old but that doesn't mean he has no propensity to love or feel sexual desires. In all likelihood like many high functioning autistic people, he is aware of his condition and can be or is trained to overcome some of those difficulties that his disorder caused. From what I read, it seems like autistic people are more likely to be victimized in a "love" relationship and often they can get into hot soup for unwanted love or sexual overtures if their conditions are not known. Though like anyone else, they can give and receive love, the other party must be someone who understand their condition, how their minds work and love them despite the difficulties.

I am keeping my fingers crossed as to how the writer and director will portray the romance bit in this drama. I hope they will do a good job not so much for entertainment but through the show, dispel more myths about Autism than create them.

@mrdimples Seems like we have got the writers of Invincible Youth 2 for 1N2D S2. I am still being optimistic. Yes there is no connection in this bizarre chain of events. But let's see if KBS decides to switch back to the old writer and PD. After all the new PD has still got time to prove his worth. If not, KBS will definitely call the shots on him.

simplydramafied1082 said: @mrdimples Seems like we have got the writers of Invincible Youth 2 for 1N2D S2. I am still being optimistic. Yes there is no connection in this bizarre chain of events. But let's see if KBS decides to switch back to the old writer and PD. After all the new PD has still got time to prove his worth. If not, KBS will definitely call the shots on him.

Guest mydeed

@mrdimples Seems like we have got the writers of Invincible Youth 2 for 1N2D S2. I am still being optimistic. Yes there is no connection in this bizarre chain of events. But let's see if KBS decides to switch back to the old writer and PD. After all the new PD has still got time to prove his worth. If not' date=' KBS will definitely call the shots on him.[/quote']

If that's true, they should take extreme measure to change the writers. I bet it's a lady. Seriously 1N2D need a male as the main writer! I'm not against lady writers but this show seems 'tame' lately.

I still love this show and enjoy it, but it's not hmmmmmm 'badass' enough.

simplydramafied1082 said: @mrdimples Seems like we have got the writers of Invincible Youth 2 for 1N2D S2. I am still being optimistic. Yes there is no connection in this bizarre chain of events. But let's see if KBS decides to switch back to the old writer and PD. After all the new PD has still got time to prove his worth. If not, KBS will definitely call the shots on him.

@fanbarri Compared to actors who can switch between networks for dramas, the same is not the case for Drama / variety PD's and writers. Actors have agencies whereas a PD is remembered by the hit ratings he makes for a network. Bird PD was the PD for Yoo Heol sketchbook (YH was the thin frail guy without glasses on the Island Special)after which he was on 1N2D and he is back again on the same show. So you can say a PD stays with a network for a very long time, maybe close to 20 years. If KBS finds there is chance to revive the show anytime they can change the PD.

@mydeed Me too I think we need more "badass" writers. The female writers are too tame for the guys. Some of the female PD's can stand upto the guys since they have been on the show for long time. Aigoo I just love this show too much to see it go down the drain. I have seen a lot of variety shows but nothing can beat the magic of this show. It should always be about those 7. Even Strong Heart and Running Man and even Infinity Challenge cannot replace this show for me. I have had enough of idols appearing on shows.