Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Thanks for that list, @flutterby06! I haven't seen it before, but it's definitely interesting - and JW placed higher on it than I would have thought.

By the way, #16 (등륜)...I tried to just type it into Google to see what came up, and I wound up with a Chinese actor, Deng Lun. Technically, in hangeul (i.e. Korean script), his name should actually be 덩룬, so maybe 등륜 is a common Korean misspelling of the name or nickname or something. *shrugs*

Sort of like how JW is sometimes referred to as Moon Joo Won - fans will recognize that as a reference to him, but it's not his real name in any sense of the term ;) (It is for his Alice mini-me, though, so there's something :P) 

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

It's not a news from 3rd party. Released by SBS about their best one minute. So it's not manipulated news so why're you so worried!

I didn't think it was manipulated stats or anything - I was just like, "So...did people just turn off their TVs or switch to something else after JW's speech?" in the sense that I was worried people could misconstrue the ratings to mean that Namgoong Min got shafted by viewers or that JW stole the spotlight (completely unintentionally, of course, but that sort of controversy from netizens does happen).

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Frankly I don't see the problem comparing actors in general forum but as it's JW forum it's best to talk things that is related to JW. When we talk good about other actors it's not a major problem but things can be taken out of context when it seems like a critical opinion, even if it's very basic critical opinion. Yes.. not always.. but you never know.

That's interesting - I actually see it the other way around. I tend to think that it's safer to make comparative comments on JW's own forum because it ends up being a bit more under the radar than in a general forum. Or, maybe I'm just way too used to the obsessive "My bias is the best!" side of the Hallyu fandom :P You know: when fans take anything other than glowing praise of their bias as an affront, blame their bias's co-stars for poor ratings, seem to think the only way to promote their bias is to step on other actors and their fans, etc.

But I've seen enough of JW's fandom here on Soompi to know that you guys are all reasonable when it comes to how much you like JW or enjoy his work. There's a respect and a willingness to think deeply and critically here that I don't find much elsewhere on Hallyu fandom social media, so kudos :approves:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, #16 (등륜)...I tried to just type it into Google to see what came up, and I wound up with a Chinese actor, Deng Lun. Technically, in hangeul (i.e. Korean script), his name should actually be 덩룬, so maybe 등륜 is a common Korean misspelling of the name or nickname or something. *shrugs*

Edited my original post with Deng Lun's name. Thanks.

Also I'm not sure how much popular local video on demand platforms are in South Korea or acceptability of Wavve in general. So can't say it represent a large numbe of people but still is good a indicator for young generations's interest at a certain time period because VOD platforms are usually popular among young any young adults. I've seen some SBS dramas are promoted on Wavve Alice was one of them.

For example I saw quite a lot of new account in twitter JW fans. Can't say all of them are new fans or just old fans who felt like opening a Twitter account but when Alice ended they started sharing many things from his past works. From the caption it seemed like some of them are watching those dramas for the first time. Also there were some caption that felt like they're just rewatching his previous works.

EqZ---EU0AEPP5Y?format=jpg&name=large

EqAlqVkUUAQDfip?format=jpg&name=small

EqA1XgfVgAIDtD1?format=jpg&name=small

These pictures shared recently by them seems to be taken from VOD platforms.

• Like 3

As new COVID-19 restrictions in South Korea are extended, the suspension of Ghost performances has been extended, too. Right now, performances are expected to resume on Jan. 19 until further notice.

I know that might be disappointing to fans and those who have already booked tickets - and obviously to the cast and crew - but I do notice that that gives JW more than the full 14 days of recommended self-monitoring for possible infection after the SBS Drama Awards. So here's hoping he uses this time to rest, recharge, and just generally take care of himself :approves:

On a happier note, here are gifts that JW received from fans to celebrate his award!

Chocolate cookies and baked corn almonds

A celebratory bouquet

• Insightful 2

On 1/2/2021 at 4:10 AM, kittyna said:

omeone in the comments on this post also pointed out that Choi Kang Hee received an award that night, too - which would have wound up with an even cuter three-way

Also, there was another reunion which we missed. Kim Hyun Soon from Good Doctor has also won award for her Pent House drama performance. It would have been nice to see these two reunion as well. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, there was another reunion which we missed. Kim Hyun Soon from Good Doctor has also won award for her Pent House drama performance. It would have been nice to see these two reunion as well.

Not to mention that both JW and Kim Hyun Soo were in Gaksital - even though they didn't actually get any direct screen time together. ;) 

• Like 3

Just throwing out a quick interactive/prompt here for anyone who wants it - since, again, things will probably be quiet re: updates from JW for the next bit.

As you guys know, many people like to start off the new year with some sort of resolution. I personally don't have that habit myself, but that did make me wonder: what New Year's resolutions  would the JW drama guys and girls make? And would they succeed in keeping them?

Of course, answers don't have to be for 2021 specifically :P That would be rather impossible given how unusual the 2020/2021 transition has been for everyone. But just generally speaking, what sorts of goals do you think these characters would set for themselves at the beginning of the year?

• Like 2

So, I don't actually have ideas for all the characters yet, but here's what I've imagined so far for New Year's resolutions:

Gu Ma Jun + Shin Yu Kyung - This would be a joint resolution: actively making time to spend together. When we left them in the drama, the biggest goal on both of their minds seemed to be repairing their relationship, so I do think this is the general direction they'd take. For something more specific...maybe a promise to have a proper "date" once every two weeks, or something like that. (I did consider counselling, but I don't know how available that was in Korea in the 1980s :P)

Hwang Tae Hui - Learning something new, most likely in relation with his job. We see him looking into taking courses in the States while Ja Eun does her internship, so that's my inspiration here. Given that he's already a detective - and he'd be more interested in learning something practical/useful rather than just for knowledge's sake - I actually could see him going into criminal psychology.

Baek Ja Eun - Improving her cooking skills, whether on her own with Tae Hui (in the States), or by learning from her mother- and sisters-in-law. lol - Actually, if it's the latter, I could imagine both Ja Eun and Cha Soo Young trying to learn like that. ;) 

Park Si On - I could think of two: being more assertive/confident, and being a better boyfriend. To be clear, I do think that Cha Yoon Seo believes he's fine as he is, but I could see him wanting to learn to express his feelings for her in a more direct manner: things like remembering special dates and milestones in their relationship, trying to actually initiate a date for once, etc. As for being more assertive, it's about trying to state his opinion calmly but firmly, even in a stressful situation.

Cha Yoon Seo - Starting (or completing - depends where she is) a research project. Since she's a research fellow in the hospital, I just see this as an extension of what she already does.

Cha Yoo Jin - Taking a more active role in his self care. Rather than any practical skill (music-related or otherwise), Yoo Jin's mental health is the thing I think he'd struggle with most; while his relationships with Nae Il and their friends would help a lot with that (since he can't just withdraw into himself anymore), the perfectionistic standards he holds for himself in said relationships could also lead to a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety. So even if he doesn't make this resolution himself, I imagine that Nae Il would sit him down and make sure he incorporates some sort of healthy daily habit (e.g. meditation, journaling, etc.) into his routine or cuts back on unhealthy ones.

Seol Nae Il - Again, if she doesn't do this herself, Yoo Jin would suggest it: getting organized. Nae Il is the quintessential "Type B" personality, who likes to just take things as they come. However, as she starts her performance career in earnest, she needs to get on top of all the logistics, planning, and scheduling that come with that. So, with Yoo Jin's guidance, I think she would focus on, say, keeping her room/desk tidy on her own, getting a daily or monthly planner and actually using it, etc.

Kim Tae Hyun - Cutting back on the language :P This is partially inspired by my own sequel-esque fanfics (where Yeo Jin sets a "swear jar" penalty for him), but long story short, the way that Tae Hyun used to speak to his friends and family isn't really going to cut it anymore now that he's married to Yeo Jin ;) Even if he doesn't care about his own image (he doesn't), he still needs to take hers into consideration, and while he's definitely more than capable to use a more formal/polite register in public (like he does with his patients), he still tends to slip up when he's at home.

Han Yeo Jin - Getting back into shape. Here, I'm inspired by the fact that she's still a recovering convalescent in many ways, so if she wants to be able to handle the increased workload of being Hanshin's Chairwoman, she needs to focus on improving her overall health and stamina.

That's what I've got so far - still brainstorming for the Alice characters, and I'm drawing blanks on the remainder (GaksitalLevel 7 Civil ServantMy Sassy Girl).

• LOL 2

On 1/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, kittyna said:

what New Year's resolutions  would the JW drama guys and girls make? And would they succeed in keeping them?

Ku Ma Jun- His resolution will be something like, try to be more kind and understanding towards others but he eventually he will fail to keep it and gets back to his normal self

Shin Yu-Kyung- Her resolution is something like similar to Ku Ma Jun but it's more like she wants to be more understanding of Ku Ma Jun

Hwang Tae Hee- It's more like a forced resolution, like, Baek Ja Eun will force him to take a resolution like stay away from danger and spend more time with her

Baek Ja Eun- Well, given her passionate nature she will have lot of resolution like getting good at cooking, farming etc. Her resolution sort of aligns in helping Park Bok Ja

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Kim Seo Won- She sort of perfect and in my personal opinion she doesn't need or doesn't like this resolution stuff, since if she wants to change something about her she can do it right away and doesn't need a new year resolution

Park Si-On- His resolution is something like, wants to get better at picking up social cues and learn cooking (like I feel like he would like to cook a delicious meal for his mother or Cha Yoon Seo on their respect birthdays as a gift or a part of celebration)

Cha Yoo Seo- Her resolution is to drink less and have healthy diet

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Nae-il- To cause less trouble for Cha Yoo Jin and she will fail miserably at it

Kim Tae-Hyun- To spend more time with Han Yeo-Jin and get his specialization(it is more like professional resolution but it is a resolution after all)

Han Yeo Jin- To be less scary towards her subordinates and staff members

Park Jin-Gyeom- Well, he is a sort of guy who does believe in these kinds of stuff but will have promise himself to protect everyone that he cares about(since he lost Detective Go he wouldn't want to loose others)

Kim Do-Yeon- Make Park Jin-Gyeom fall for her (Like Nae-Il she'll also fail miserably)

Yoon Tae-Yin(2020)- She pretty much perfect the way she is and I don't see any requirement for her, just like in case of Kim Seo Won

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Kim Tae Hyun - Cutting back on the language

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Baek Ja Eun - Improving her cooking skills,

Lol, I guess he both remember how Hwang Tae Hee reluctantly ate all the food she made for him, must have left bad taste in his mouth :joy:

29 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Park Si On - I could think of two: being more assertive/confident, and being a better boyfriend

I sort of dropped the boyfriend thing, since it sounded like inappropriate for me talk on a subject how to be better boyfriend. Like, everyone has their own way of expressing, so, I dropped it due to too much generalization

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo - Starting (or completing - depends where she is) a research project

She as to cut back on drinking if she wants to start another project,so, I think the resolution I proposed it complementary to yours :joy:

33 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Yeo Jin - Getting back into shape. Here,

This one I did not think of. When saw the sentence "Getting back into shape", I sort of assumed it from the pregnancy, like she did took time off in real world after pregnancy. It does makes sense, since she is like a patient throughout the series and went through a massive surgery in the end, so, she does need strong resolution to gain her health and strength

• LOL 2

lol - It looks like we were writing our respective answers simultaneously, and wound up with two completely different lists :P 

24 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Okay, I like this one ;) And it gives me an idea for my own answer for him:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. He's the typical chaebol heir in that he just tends to throw his money around - or, when he does save up, it's for some sort of luxury toy (e.g. a new sports car) rather than anything practical. So I think that either Kim Seo Won would push him to be more cautious about how he manages his funds, or he'll realize it the hard way when he overdrafts on his bank account (although government jobs allow for steady income, it's also not much ;)).

35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Seeing these side-by-side with mine, it just hit me how much I was drawing off my own Seolleim in Salzburg fanfic series rather than the drama itself :P 

37 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

lol - And now you're making me imagine a department-wide swear tally, where the loser has to treat the team to dinner at the end of each month. And half the time, Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

11 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. 

Well, it will be difficult when Kim Seo won's brother is around. He will probably the main reason for the breaking of Han Gil Ro's resolution of not spending too much

13 minutes ago, kittyna said:

two completely different lists :P 

I think there are similarities,like, Baek Ja Run cooking resolution and Park Si-On's resolution of getting better at social interaction

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

Speaking of Park Si On, another possibility is that he'd have this really weird threshold for himself in terms of what counts as swearing. Like, he would add to his tally whenever he scolded Park Woong Ki or something, and then Cha Yoon Seo would always have to go to that part of the whiteboard and erase it :P And then Si On would be all like, "But I was angry", and she'd answer, "I know - but it's still not swearing."

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Just want to come back to this one for a second, because now that you mention it, I could also see Nae Il resolving to help out more around the house, thinking that would make things easier for Yoo Jin...except she never quite does it to his standard, which just leads them right back to square one :P 

Speaking of Nae Il and Yoo Jin - I don't know if anyone here has heard of the new "aesthetics" (e.g. dark/light academia, cottagecore, etc.) that have cropped up on places like Instagram over the course of 2020. There's nothing really new about them save for the label, but I managed to stumble across this explanation of what the "dark academia" style would look like on guys (here's a quick run-down of what interests and behaviours that term even entails), and...yep, looks like I just found Yoo Jin's aesthetic in a nutshell ;) 

And last but not least, I'm here with my guesses on the Alice cast's New Year's Resolutions. Note that because all the timelines, parallel versions, etc. can get really confusing, I'm actually setting these before the main action of the drama.

Park Jin Gyeom - He's not the sort of person who'd do this for himself (since his one main goal in life is to solve his mother's murder), but I think Kim Do Yeon would push him to consider spending more time with his friends/colleagues outside of work. So, for example, actually hanging out with her or his team in a social context, calling or visiting Captain Go's wife at least once a week, etc.

Kim Do Yeon - Probably something related to her profession (not sure what, though), or maybe traveling to a place on her bucket list. It did cross my mind to do something linked to her relationship with Jin Gyeom, but there's not much beyond what she already does that wouldn't end up crossing a line (i.e. it doesn't feel right for me to have one person set a goal that's contingent on another person's feelings or consent).

Yoon Tae Yi (2020) - It depends on her mood. If she's just, "Yeah, whatever" about it, I imagine she'd say losing weight (she's the only one out of the JW drama female leads to actually comment on this explicitly). But if she was more serious about it, I think she'd want something related to her research, such as getting a new journal article or conference paper published

Cute SBS Drama Awards fanart

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo Seo- Her resolution is to drink less and have healthy diet

By the way, I was re-reading our responses, and now I'm curious: how on earth did you come to think of Cha Yoon Seo as the drinker out of these drama characters? I mean, most of them drink (and have gotten drunk), so why her?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I mean, most of them drink (and have gotten drunk), so why her?

Oh, I didn't mean that:sweat_smile:. Let me rephrase it. What I meant was, she usually choose to drink alcohol whenever she is upset or mad about something. Like, in the beginning of the episode she had a disagreement with Kim Do Han, she tried to drink herself up in order to cope with the fight. So, her resolution will not to get drunk whenever she is mad or upset about something. Of course she sort of changed after meeting Park Si-On.

• Like 2

Coffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Adult Korean actors who've played high school students

lol - This reminds me: I was initially unconvinced by JW's appearance as the teenage Park Jin Gyeom in Alice, but was starting to come around to it from his individual stills. But the hallway scene (when he comes out after beating up the bullies) just killed it: it would have worked better if the production kept with adult actors (like they did with the bullies), but the extras in the hallway were real high school kids, and suddenly, Jin Gyeom was the only person in the entire school who'd already hit his growth spurt :lol:

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Oh, I didn't mean that:sweat_smile:. Let me rephrase it. What I meant was, she usually choose to drink alcohol whenever she is upset or mad about something.

I know what you meant :) I just noticed that you've joked about Cha Yoon Seo's drinking a few times already, so I was remarking on the association that's been building up. 

Drinking (in both social and individual contexts) is so common in Korea that I generally don't think much of K-drama characters drinking - unless it's used narratively as a form of self-destructive behaviour. So I hadn't thought much of problem drinking re: the girls - if I had to pick one, I'd go with Hye Myung - but for the guys, I've wound up focusing on Cha Yoo Jin for that reason. Gu Ma Jun too, to be honest, but I don't think I'll be writing King of Baking fics anytime soon :P 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

ffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Wow! I did not know she is doing a drama and the stroy looks interesting. And she also doing a movie as well. Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

15 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Hye Myung -

Yup, cha yoon seo and Hye Myung have lot of similarities. Like, both like to drink whenever they are down or for celebrations 

18 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Jin Gyeom was the only person in the entire school who'd already hit his growth spurt

Yeah, like one of those few kids who look older for their age

• Like 2

An actor recognized by the producers- Studio Santa released behind the scene from SBS Drama Awards.. 

Looking so gooooooooooooooooood.............:partyblob:

10.jpg?type=w1200

9.jpg?type=w1200

8.jpg?type=w1200

More at: https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=30417276&memberNo=31542741

Absolutely loving how Studio Santa is releasing behind scene picture of every event of Joo Won..:approves:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

46 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Studio Santa released behind the scene from SBS Drama Awards.. 

Looking so gooooooooooooooooood.............

Wow...I don't think I ever got a really good look at his suit prior to this, but dang....

It's not a tux (which I know is more the norm for an awards show), but I love it :glasses: I feel like he's got a slight vintage vibe with this outfit - I could be wrong (since I know next to nothing about vintage men's fashion), but I think it's the vest/waistcoat that's making me think that :) 

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

A number of actors who've co-starred together retain their characters' names/titles as an inside joke - I don't know how common the practice is, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

[EDIT] - I took a second look at the photo, and I just noticed that JW also called her "Princess" (it's in the greeting to her plastered on the truck itself).

Yup, cha yoon seo and Hye Myung have lot of similarities. Like, both like to drink whenever they are down or for celebrations 

Which makes me wonder what would happen if, say, the time-space continuum got bent and they actually met :P 

I also think there's reasonable argument for Yoon Tae Yi (2020) having a similar personality, too. Maybe not the drinking part, per se, but she's also that really passionate and outspoken sort of person who could fit in right alongside the guys (unless they try to hit on her like that one colleague did, cuz that's just creepy) ;) 

Yeah, like one of those few kids who look older for their age

:loolz: Point. There's probably at least one such kid in every high school ;) 

I do have to give JW kudos, though, for how he moved as the teenage Jin Gyeom, though: there's just enough awkwardness that he did make me think of a teenager who suddenly just shot up in height over a couple of months but hasn't actually gotten used to being that big or tall yet :P 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:
7 hours ago, kittyna said:

ffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Wow! I did not know she is doing a drama and the stroy looks interesting. And she also doing a movie as well. Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:
6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

A number of actors who've co-starred together retain their characters' names/titles as an inside joke - I don't know how common the practice is, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

[EDIT] - I took a second look at the photo, and I just noticed that JW also called her "Princess" (it's in the greeting to her plastered on the truck itself).

Also when Oh Yeon Seo Sent him coffee truck in Alice set he thanked her saying 'Mama' (your Highness) which is how he used to address her mostly in the drama.

ErIXHSjXEAAEo8q?format=jpg&name=360x360

And like @kittyna mentioned this time he addressed her as 'Gongju' (Princess) and she thanked 'Gyun Sabu'. :thumbsup:

ErIXIBtXYAAIuqL?format=jpg&name=360x360

Good to see their friendly interaction.

Joo Won's award speech subtitled in Kocowa-

• Like 3

Soompi Awards: Best and Worst of the Rest (Dramas 2020)

Chingus, welcome to our final poll of 2020. :kiss_wink:  You can vote for:

1) The best C-drama of 2020

2) The most disappointing K-drama or K-drama ending of 2020

3) The best abs in a K-drama in 2020

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon and @Lmangla

Joo Won featured in question 3 - Please vote ! :dorakiss:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1