Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

17 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

thanks for the vote

No worries. How come my Spanish is so flawless though in the text you quoted? :D lol

In any case, hope you enjoyed the poll! :partyblob:

• Like 2

Thanks for putting the poll together at such short notice, @partyon:1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1)::partyblob:

Quick run-down of my responses, in case anyone's wondering. Presented in chronological order, so don't read too much into it ;) 

For the girls...

1. Moon Chae Won

2. Kim Tae Hee

3. Kim Hee Sun

For the guys...

1. Jung Woong In

2. Park Ki Woong

3. Cheon Ho Jin

4. Kim Sang Ho

lol - I guess I just like JW working with either noona or veteran actors :P I have to say, though, that for Jung Woong In and Cheon Ho Jin in particular, I chose them because JW worked with both of them multiple times, in completely different ways, and everyone managed to completely nail their parts every single time. Like, seriously, compare Gaksital and Good Doctor, for examples of JW with Cheon Ho Jin...dang!!! :wut:

A couple of honourary mentions that didn't end up in the poll that I also thought were really good, re: chemistry (not necessarily romantic, just any sort):

• Jeon In Hwa (King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu)
  • Han Chae Ah (Gaksital)
  • Kim Young Kwang (Good Doctor)
  • Kim Hyun Soo (Good Doctor)
  • Jo Hee Bong (Good Doctor and My Sassy Girl)
  • Go Kyung Pyo (Nae Il's Cantabile - this one also extends into real life)
  • Min Jin Woong (Yong Pal - also extends into real life)
  • Chae Jung An (Yong Pal)
  • Choi Ro Woon (My Sassy Girl - also Good Doctor, but he doesn't interact with JW there)

lol - I guess Good Doctor just had an awesome cast all around :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

kekkeke.. since I have watched only 2 of his dramas - ojakygo family and king of baking, can only comment on those. so king of baking, he had a very sizzle negative kind of repel attract energy with eugene. it was actually fascinating to watch especially as he was the second lead. you don't expect him to get the girl at all. at the same time, you are hoping he might. so yea, it was a surprise he did in the end but I think it was because of that chemistry and that intense kind of energy. like eugene's character said, the two of them were like broken cycles that would not stop but together, they didn't have to pretend to be working. but just as an aside, if you watch the BTS, it is rather funny. joo won is so much taller than euguene that they had her placed on a stool for one of the kissing scenes where she is just in normal shoes. you know to save his neck from cramping too much. hahahahahah..... 

kimtakgoodrama-weddng-jowoneugene03.jpg? 

he also had a great vibe with the main lead yoon shi yoon where you believed they were rivals as well as kind of friends. much of the drama was centered around their struggle and it was great to watch. 

as for ojaykgyo family, he had a cute kind of chemistry with UEE. mostly the characters were very sweet and awkward which made for a funny romance. but I think the really selling point of the drama was the interactions between the brothers. they were rowdy, fight, tease each other but at the same time, watched out for each other. so in terms of chemistry, would say it was more with the brothers -- you felt like they were a family with all their squabbles. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Thanks so much for the fun poll @partyon and to @kittynafor suggesting it.

I found myself having to google some of the names cause I honestly didn't remember some of them :lol: *hides*

Because I really think that Joo Won has chemistry with pretty much everyone I've seen him act with, I only chose those that stood out to me a lot a lot~

For the ladies, I went with Moon Chae Won, Kim Tae Hee and Kim Hee Sun (just like @kittyna^^) and for the men, Park Ki Woong and Kim Sang Ho. I also really enjoyed his chemistry with Jung Woong In in Yong Pal. All their scenes were so good and many of them are still very vivid on my mind. I know they acted together in Ojakgyo Family as well but that's one of Joo Won's dramas I haven't watched yet.

That's why I enjoyed reading your post so much @Lmangla. I haven't watched either of those two dramas yet and reading your post, I somehow felt like you watched those dramas at the time of broadcast or maybe close to it? And you still remember them so well~ Made me want to watch them as soon as possible, too, haha - even more than I already do I mean^^ Thanks so much for sharing your insights.

ps: @Andrea Balcazar, I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue but because of the format you're using I'm having trouble reading your posts when I'm on my laptop. I can only read them when I'm on my phone :( 

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

57 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

kekkeke.. since I have watched only 2 of his dramas - ojakygo family and king of baking, can only comment on those. so king of baking, he had a very sizzle negative kind of repel attract energy with eugene. it was actually fascinating to watch especially as he was the second lead. you don't expect him to get the girl at all. at the same time, you are hoping he might. so yea, it was a surprise he did in the end but I think it was because of that chemistry and that intense kind of energy. like eugene's character said, the two of them were like broken cycles that would not stop but together, they didn't have to pretend to be working. but just as an aside, if you watch the BTS, it is rather funny. joo won is so much taller than euguene that they had her placed on a stool for one of the kissing scenes where she is just in normal shoes. you know to save his neck from cramping too

I had not seen you by the group, you are new?

7 minutes ago, Calli said:

I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue but because of the format you're using I'm having trouble reading your posts when I'm on my laptop. I can only read them when I'm on my phone :( 

I couldn't tell you why that happens to you, I think the other girls do read my posts

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

23 minutes ago, Calli said:

That's why I enjoyed reading your post so much @Lmangla. I haven't watched either of those two dramas yet and reading your post, I somehow felt like you watched those dramas at the time of broadcast or maybe close to it? And you still remember them so well~ Made me want to watch them as soon as possible, too, haha - even more than I already do I mean^^ Thanks so much for sharing your insights.

both the dramas were really fun watches. I remember baker king especially for the romance between eugene and joo won. people always say that second leads never get the girl and so you watch with that kind of mindset -- you don't want to get too invested because you know it won't work out. the second lead is basically there to support the girl and basically play nice. in this case, he was a negative second lead and interestingly enough, the female lead was also negative. they were both broken people compared to the male lead who was quite angelic in a way. eugene said she took the role because it was so different from the typical goody goody female lead. so the dynamics were fascinating to watch as it wasn't a typical bond or romance. they could really cut each other down quite mercilessly but it was interesting to watch because they hid their darkness in front of others but would be so honest with each other. your heart is going dugun dugun in some scenes and you are telling yourself -- this is not the OTP, so don't like them too much. hahahaha... and yea, I watched both quite close to airing and so there were no spoilers for me in that sense. so if anyone ever says that second leads never get the girl, I always quote baker's king as one that bucked that trend. :love:

22 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I had not seen you by the group, you are new?

just peeking my head in as my fellow EO @partyon tagged me for the poll. you will mostly find me in the daily/weekend/makjang drama threads. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so the dynamics were fascinating to watch as it wasn't a typical bond or romance. they could really cut each other down quite mercilessly but it was interesting to watch because they hid their darkness in front of others but would be so honest with each other. your heart is going dugun dugun

Waaaaah @Lmangla, this sounds so intriguing!! I knew that Joo Won played the antagonist to the angelic protagonist in his very first drama role but you added so much to my anticipation to watch with your description.

I recently read an interview Joo Won gave while promoting Baker King in Japan and two things stuck with me: how he said Majun yearned to be loved all his life, especially by his father (and how that was what motivated many of his actions) and how Joo Won felt his character's pain so deeply, that after shooting one particular scene (I think it was the one very climatic one between Majun and his father) he just couldn't stop crying. Now, with the dynamic you described between Eugene and Joo Won's characters I predict my heart will go "dugun dugun" while watching for sure, too^^

Thanks so much for dropping by Joo Won's thread and sharing your thoughts and vivid memories. I really appreciate it~

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@Calli ~ baker's king is one of my favourite makjang dramas. one it contains food. actual food. I hate when kdramas include some concept of food but there is hardly any. hahahaha... here, there is a lot of baking that happens and they make it seem like bread making is magic. hahahahha...  

Drama Review: Learning from the Baker King – Strickenwithwanderlust

and yea, you might want to head to a bakery after those scenes to get some pastries. :lol:

but yea, joo won's debut role as majun was an interesting choice. there are so many actors you see in second leads but most of the times, you forget their faces afterwards. or at least I do. hahahahha... but joo won made that role his own that you couldn't take your eyes off. I remember thinking - this actor is going to go places!

the male lead did a great job at being angelic -- you don't roll your eyes or think of him as naive. he was just someone who saw the world from a good place and thought everyone has some good in them. this was in direct contrast to majun's character who saw everything from a negative space. it isn't just a character trait but because of some stuff that happens early on. so he is suspicious, angry and frustrated. at the same time, he is yearning for love. joo won did a great job at bringing the vulnerabilities to such a negative character. so even when you are shaking your head and thinking "majun what are you doing?", you are also cheering for him to do better. 

I generally dislike triangles as I don't really like to guess who ends up with who. (is it because I  guess wrong? hahahah)... anyway in this drama, the triangle made all of them mature and better people. it wasn't a case of "does she love me?" usual bore but rather about world views, personality clashes and priorities. so it was an interesting triangle to watch. 

if you are a joo won fan, you should definitely check it out; he showed off his acting chops very strongly and made an impression. if he was a goody goody second lead, I would have forgotten about him but this one is different. and the drama is a fast addictive watch. there is a reason why it got something like 40% rating. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I couldn't tell you why that happens to you, I think the other girls do read my posts

Nope, it's happening to all of us who are using a laptop. Sometimes the font of your posts is super big and it's all on one line and we have to scroll to the right to read your replies. Also, when you quoted my text yesterday my text was suddenly in Spanish. @Sleepy Owl and I were wondering about that. :idk:

In any case, back to Joo Won. :kiss_wink:

I have only watched him in Good Doctor, Naeil's Cantabile and Alice (partially). I really liked his chemistry with Moon Chae Won the most. They were such a cute couple. I do hope they would pair up again in a drama. :love:

spacer.png

I really like Yoon Shi Yoon too, and even though I haven't watched King of Baking, I am fairly sure that Joo Won and Yoon Shi Yoon had great chemistry. They are similar in age, and I feel also a bit in temperament. That drama is still on my watch list.

spacer.png

@kittyna No problem. Speed is my middle name when it comes to Event Organizing :joy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama

Have you ever tried to explain to your friends and family why you watch k-dramas? What is it that makes them so unique?

Chingus, now is your chance to help us compile a list of what you have learned from watching Korean dramas. :partyblob:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

7 hours ago, Lmangla said:

both the dramas were really fun watches. I remember baker king especially for the romance between eugene and joo won. people always say that second leads never get the girl and so you watch with that kind of mindset -- you don't want to get too invested because you know it won't work out. the second lead is basically there to support the girl and basically play nice. in this case, he was a negative second lead and interestingly enough, the female lead was also negative. they were both broken people compared to the male lead who was quite angelic in a way. eugene said she took the role because it was so different from the typical goody goody female lead. so the dynamics were fascinating to watch as it wasn't a typical bond or romance. they could really cut each other down quite mercilessly but it was interesting to watch because they hid their darkness in front of others but would be so honest with each other. your heart is going dugun dugun in some scenes and you are telling yourself -- this is not the OTP, so don't like them too much. hahahaha... and yea, I watched both quite close to airing and so there were no spoilers for me in that sense. so if anyone ever says that second leads never get the girl, I always quote baker's king as one that bucked that trend. :love:

I thought I was the only one who understood their relationship in that way, there are many people who did not understand and wanted him to stay with takgu but as you said they both understood each other very well and the chapter in which they lie down and hug each other I liked it a lot since both were very sincere and trusted each other

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Also, when you quoted my text yesterday my text was suddenly in Spanish. @Sleepy Owl and I were wondering about that

the reason why it was in Spanish haha is that I speak Spanish and use a translator to communicate with the chat

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Calli said:

Hopefully we'll get filming sightings from the Carter set soon too^^

I really hope we have pictures of Carter's recordings

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Hopefully we'll get filming sightings from the Carter set soon too^^

some joo won fans are saying that joo won is dating someone since in a recording that joo won's coach did live, joo won was only chatting on his cell phone

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

5 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

some joo won fans are saying that joo won is dating someone since in a recording that joo won's coach did live, joo won was only chatting on his cell phone

Based on this video? 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COhSLeEDUS8/?utm_medium=copy_link

I didn't see Joo Won much on his phone during that IG live, probably because he was too busy training his chest^^ Park Jeong Sik, Joo Won's trainer, was wondering for a while why the chatting function didn't work during his IG live so Joo Won took his phone at the end and tried to help: they figured out that only accounts that Park Jeong Sik was following could comment during the live and that he had to change the setting for everyone to be able to comment~

Having said that though I'd be really happy for him if he had a special someone in his life. Joo Won has been dreaming of a beautiful marriage and family since he was very young... I hope with all my heart this dream of his will come true :wub:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

:isannoyed:Wow - people get really imaginative over just the tiniest things, don't they? That's one thing I don't envy JW (or any other celebrity) about!

Like @Calli, I'd also be really, truly happy for JW if he was dating - but to start wondering about that just by seeing him being on his phone is...no offense, guys, but that's just too much. I know I'd hate to see my own life and habits scrutinized like that - as would many fans - so why people wouldn't have those qualms once a celebrity is involved is beyond me.

Especially if JW had a perfectly legitimate (and far more realistic) reason to be on his phone at the time, like @Calli pointed out here:

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Park Jeong Sik, Joo Won's trainer, was wondering for a while why the chatting function didn't work during his IG live so Joo Won took his phone at the end and tried to help: they figured out that only accounts that Park Jeong Sik was following could comment during the live and that he had to change the setting for everyone to be able to comment~

That being said, I'm not faulting you guys - I know, @Andrea Balcazar, that you're just saying what you've heard :approves: I just think it's strange that some fans are apparently already speculating that.

The way I see it: whether JW is dating or not is his business - if he is, he'll let us know when he feels it's the right time. :coolshades:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

On 5/25/2021 at 2:10 AM, Lmangla said:

I remember baker king especially for the romance between eugene and joo won. people always say that second leads never get the girl and so you watch with that kind of mindset -- you don't want to get too invested because you know it won't work out. the second lead is basically there to support the girl and basically play nice. in this case, he was a negative second lead and interestingly enough, the female lead was also negative. they were both broken people compared to the male lead who was quite angelic in a way. eugene said she took the role because it was so different from the typical goody goody female lead. so the dynamics were fascinating to watch as it wasn't a typical bond or romance. they could really cut each other down quite mercilessly but it was interesting to watch because they hid their darkness in front of others but would be so honest with each other. 

Didn't get to respond to your take on King of Baking, but I just want to say that it's very interesting to read - and that I agree with you ;) I watched it back in 2015/2016 (it was my first JW drama), so I don't remember what, if anything, I thought about the relationship between Gu Ma Jun and Shin Yu Kyung. lol - I think I was new enough to K-dramas at the time that I just rolled with it without any real expectations about which guy would "get the girl".

But thinking back on it now, I do think I was surprised at first, since I thought that Kim Tak Gu was the far better person, whereas Ma Jun's relationship with Yu Kyung was really dysfunctional and toxic at times. Yet at the same time...yeah, Ma Jun and Yu Kyung would have understood each other's complex situations far better than Tak Gu ever would.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:07 AM, Lmangla said:

but yea, joo won's debut role as majun was an interesting choice. there are so many actors you see in second leads but most of the times, you forget their faces afterwards. or at least I do. hahahahha... but joo won made that role his own that you couldn't take your eyes off. I remember thinking - this actor is going to go places!

the male lead did a great job at being angelic -- you don't roll your eyes or think of him as naive. he was just someone who saw the world from a good place and thought everyone has some good in them. this was in direct contrast to majun's character who saw everything from a negative space. it isn't just a character trait but because of some stuff that happens early on. so he is suspicious, angry and frustrated. at the same time, he is yearning for love. joo won did a great job at bringing the vulnerabilities to such a negative character. so even when you are shaking your head and thinking "majun what are you doing?", you are also cheering for him to do better. 

Same! I remember putting it this way at the time: "Tak Gu's the guy you root for, but Ma Jun's the one you sympathize with." Let's be honest: Tak Gu was really realistic as an all-around good guy, but I think most of us can concede that that level of goodness is not our own :P Many of us as viewers would probably find Ma Jun's feelings, reactions, etc. far more relatable in the long run, which is part of what made him so captivating as a character.

This also meant that I spent more time watching Ma Jun than Tak Gu because I so desperately wanted him to make a good turn, so watching his full arc all the way to end was so satisfying. (Don't want to spoil it all for the people who haven't watched the drama yet, but that is what I think.)

By the way, @partyon - thanks again for setting up the poll. I'll have to send you my ideas more often :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

no offense, guys, but that's just too much. I know I'd hate to see my own life and habits scrutinized like that - as would many fans - so why people wouldn't have those qualms once a celebrity is involved is beyond me.

You really really spoke my heart @kittyna, so much better than I ever could~ Thank you!

I totally get being very interested and invested in your bias/ favorite actor/actress but no matter how avid of a fangirl/fanboy we are, it's so important to stay balanced and remember where to draw the line, especially when it comes to respecting their privacy - for our fave's good and our own. 

After reading everyone's posts on Baker King, I'm so excited to start watching^^ I didn't remember that this was your very first Joo Won drama, @kittyna. You must have mentioned it once before... I envy you so much for "meeting" Joo Won back in 2015/16 already. 

Happily the drama is available on KBS World's youtube, yay. Can't wait to meet Majun. :yay:

Too bad I'm way past objective and will probably sympathize with and root for Majun from the very get-go but I'll try to take my Joo-Won-rules-at-everything glasses off for a bit, though I'm afraid they get more firmly glued on the more of him and his acting I see :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

También estaría realmente, realmente feliz por JW si estuviera saliendo, pero comenzar a preguntarme sobre eso solo con verlo hablando por teléfono es ... sin ofender, chicos, pero eso es demasiado. Sé que odiaría ver mi propia vida y mis hábitos analizados de esa manera, como lo harían muchos fanáticos, así que no entiendo por qué la gente no tendría esos escrúpulos una vez que una celebridad está involucrada.

Especialmente si JW tenía una razón perfectamente legítima (y mucho más realista) para estar en su teléfono en ese momento, como @Calli señalado aquí:

Yes, I think the fans exaggerated a bit but hey if Joo Won is dating or not I would be happy for him because as @Callisaid in an interview he said he wanted to have his own family I think it was an interview from 2014

and well, I think he's at an age that he needs a supportive wife, I've heard that 30 is the age when you feel lonely and wish you were in someone's company. I really hope joo won finds someone who fits perfectly your ideal type

1 hour ago, Calli said:

Too bad I'm way past objective and will probably sympathize with and root for Majun from the very get-go but I'll try to take my Joo-Won-rules-at-everything glasses off for a bit, though I'm afraid they get more firmly glued on the more of him and his acting I see :lol:

I recommend that you watch the drama, it is very good, I really started the drama like a year ago it was the third drana I saw of Joo Won and I really think that his character was a bit regrettable but at the same time that the chapters passed, you could see more of the Majun's story in the drama that made me see that his mother and father did not raise him in the correct way that is why he grew up that way instead the character of takgu was a good person but the truth is I could not get into his character since if he was Do you think people in real life are not like that, we commit some sin, no one is perfect, but they do it to his character as innocent, I did not believe it.

• Like 3