Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

22 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but my guess is that in Korea, it's less common for actresses to address their guy friends as "Oppa", because that's also how girls usually address their boyfriends.

Well, I also heard that "Oppa" is also used to address older brother by younger girls, if they are siblings. And in some variety shows I heard that Younger female artists addressing older artist as "Oppa"(And yeah, women also use this word to address their boyfriends as well). So, I think female artist use this word to address the older male artists if they are close or know them personally. So, just like "Noona", "Oppa" also as multiple meaning depending on the relationship 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, I also heard that "Oppa" is also used to address older brother by younger girls, if they are siblings. And in some variety shows I heard that Younger female artists addressing older artist as "Oppa"(And yeah, women also use this word to address their boyfriends as well). So, I think female artist use this word to address the older male artists if they are close or know them personally. So, just like "Noona", "Oppa" also as multiple meaning depending on the relationship 

Yes, it does have multiple meanings - but out of all the terms of address, I do feel like "Oppa" is the one most likely to inadvertently cause misunderstandings or confusion. So it really depends on the specific people involved, their relationship dynamic, and what they're comfortable with saying given the context they're in.

Okay, so it turns out that I'm really enjoying releasing these little previews/snippets of my upcoming Alice fic, so here's another one. The theme: Do Yeon's attempt at breaking the ice goes just about as well as you think it will :P 

Spoiler

Thinking it would help to pass the time, as well as giving us a chance to know each other, I try to chat with him as we work.

“So, I’ve heard that you’re top in your class.”

“I guess.”

“Is that why you don’t go to study hall? Because you’re already good for the exams?”

“Ani.”

“Then why?”

“I concentrate better at home. It’s quieter.”

“I see….So, have you thought about university yet? Where do you wanna apply to?”

“I don’t know.”

“Jinjja? You have no idea at all?”

“Mm.”

This is when he should ask me the same question back – at which point I will say something about Eomma wanting me to go to a SKY university and my not really caring so long as I can get into communication studies or journalism somewhere – but he simply lapses back into silence. It stretches on for so long that I eventually stop painting and round on him.

“Ya, Park Jin Gyeom! Is this how you always hang out with people? When someone asks you something, you’re supposed to give them a chance to share by asking them back. You do know that, right?”

“Ara,” he answers, not even stopping from his painting to look at me. “But why should I?”

I bite back an exasperated curse. “Ya, Park Jin–”

“As you said, people share about themselves in the hope that the person they’re speaking to will agree, which both creates an emotional connection and allows the first person to believe the other person cares what they think. But, like I said before, I don’t care what people think about me.”

I toss my head, placing one hand on my hip. “Are you just saying that because you’re trying to look cool, or because you really actually don’t care?”

“Caring what people think is only possible when you have feelings that can be hurt – and I don’t.”

My jaw drops. Did...did he just say....

“Wait, what?”

“Alexithymia,” he says bluntly. “A neurological impairment that limits my ability to feel, recognize, or express emotions.”

“But…but everyone feels emotions, don’t they?” I ask. “That’s what makes us human!” I let out a gasp as a sudden terrifying thought comes to me. “Did…did you have an accident or something?” I gesture towards my head with my left hand. “You know, something that could have hurt your head?”

“Ani,” he answers. “Eomma tells me I was born with it.”

He points out the paint that’s already dripped off my roller onto the ground, prompting me to talk and work at the same time. A quick glance over to his side shows that he’s very nearly done, but as I start back up again on my side, I can’t seem to focus on the wall in front of me.

This is weird. This is all so incredibly freaking weird. Everything I had thought was strange or off about him now comes to mind: his empty stares from the back of the classroom, his aloof silences, his choice to spend breaks studying rather than hanging out with friends…even what he says now about not caring what people think.

Park Jin Gyeom’s not a psychopath; he’s disabled. Or, at least that’s what it sounds like. It’s proof that he’s not a bad person like everyone says he is, but….

“That sucks.”

Yep, trying to maintain a conversation with teenage Park Jin Gyeom is just.... :headbang:

Finally, a spur of the moment mid-week interactive. Long story short, I may have posed a Sorting Hat Challenge to you guys before, but I actually grew up as a fan of a different fantasy franchise: Lord of the Rings. It was all a long time ago, but I recently stumbled across this video that presented 12 different characters from the film adaptations as representatives of distinct personality types (in Spoilers for not being directly JW-related):

Spoiler

So, here's my question to you guys: which character from JW's dramas do you think best fits each of these 12 character types?

Note: You can use any characters (main, supporting, etc.) for this - in fact, my guess is that you'll have to ;) Also, considering the massive gender imbalance in LOTR's cast of characters (mostly because the original books are high fantasy literature from the 1940s/1950s), just ignore gender for this. You can pick a JW drama girl to match with a male LOTR character, or vice-versa.

Once again, no right or wrong answers - so feel free to go nuts :gangnamstyle:

• Blob 2

44 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Yep, trying to maintain a conversation with teenage Park Jin Gyeom is just.... 

It is like the conversation he had with Detective Go in the restaurant  but this conversation is much longer and more fun to read

46 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I do feel like "Oppa" is the one most likely to inadvertently cause misunderstandings or confusion

In the beginning I was also confused as well, like, the girlfriends in the Kdrama use to address their boyfriends as "Oppa" and they use to address their elder brothers as "Oppa" as well. But later I got to know that it had multiple meaning and like you said it depends on the relationship. It did came as a shock to me that they were few words which were exclusive for men and women to address other men and women according to their age and gender.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Celebrating the return of Ghost!

I think this is the first time they released this performance video. Earlier they use to post this scene's rehearsal video, and I can clearly see lot of difference between rehearsal performance and actual performance, the actual performance is electrifying, no wonder "Ghost" has been such a big hit. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

9216ed9b2a2f584b44ff0ddc757948dc.jpg

To mark the resumption of performances, Ghost had a special curtain call.

Here's the full video

Translation of JW's part (in the description)

Here's hoping that they will be able to finish their run without any further mishaps. More importantly, here's hoping that the Ghost team continues to stay safe and healthy.

7aec5f23d9a0c81fbd7d6678cc6fee5e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Joo Won Joined the campaign for Unicef Team along with MC Yoo Jae Seok, Rhythmic Gymnast Son Yeon Jae and many others.

The 'UNICEF Team' is a team that aims to protect children around the world in danger and anyone can become the 'UNICEF Team'. The Korean Committee for UNICEF is running this campaign with celebrities who deliver positive energy to appeal for more campaign participation.

There's also a 15 sec version where Joo Won is delivering another line:

A fan noticed that he's wearing the same attire from KBS interview Room of Memory which is probably filmed in November 2020. So this was probably taken from that time.

Good to see our Joo Won promoting good cause. :heartxoxo:

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

A fan noticed that he's wearing the same attire from KBS interview Room of Memory which is probably filmed in November 2020. So this was probably taken from that time.

Yeah, I noticed that, too - it's one of my favourites out of JW's recent outfits :) I also sometimes personally refer to it as his "Park Jin Gyeom" look because it's totally something I can see the character wearing as well.

By the way, someone made this and posted it on Instagram: K-drama actors' weights in kilograms. To be fair, I don't think this is 100% accurate - if for no other reason than that people's weights fluctuate constantly within a certain range - but just as an estimate, I did notice that JW post-enlistment wound up being one of the bigger guys on this list. That really surprised me, to be honest.

Finally, this isn't entirely JW-related, but is still really cool. You guys remember the behind-the-scenes photos from JW's makeup process to become the old Jin Gyeom/the Teacher in Alice, right?

e3c39b427d4f2006e99caa22c1fad066.jpg

761c96180003d241fe78aab13a26aab9.jpg

Well, I recently stumbled across this video on YouTube that shows the actual process of making the silicon masks and latex makeup the actors (like JW in Alice) would wear. So I just thought I'd share it as a fun behind-the-scenes look at what that looks like:

• Like 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

EVENT: My Ultimate Oppa - Part 2

Your request has been granted. :kiss_wink: We put up a new My Ultimate Oppa poll!

This time featuring:

Ahjussi oppas, Super Ahjussi oppas, Grandpa oppas and Keanu Reeves

Please vote for your favorites!

re: @Lmangla

:partyblob:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, partyon said:

EVENT: My Ultimate Oppa - Part 2

Your request has been granted. :kiss_wink: We put up a new My Ultimate Oppa poll!

This time featuring:

Ahjussi oppas, Super Ahjussi oppas, Grandpa oppas and Keanu Reeves

Please vote for your favorites!

Thanks for the heads-up! About time the veterans got some love! :approves:

I wrote more about my choices on the actual poll forum itself, but for now, suffice it to say that this is the sort of thing I want for JW in the future. 10 or 20 years from now, I want him to be a respected veteran actor who's known for his range and acting chops, so...fighting, oppa!

Also, new Instagram update - Looks like he's back at it with the fluffy sherpa coats ;) 

• Love 1
  • Blob 2

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I wrote more about my choices on the actual poll forum itself, but for now, suffice it to say that this is the sort of thing I want for JW in the future. 10 or 20 years from now, I want him to be a respected veteran actor who's known for his range and acting chops, so...fighting, oppa!

Yup, same here. Actually now is the time for joo won to take the roles with different style and the ones which will make use of his acting potential, and by choosing the Alice drama, he made it clear that from now on wards he will take different and diverse roles. And also, I want him to take antagonist roles as well, since he does plays those roles pretty well and it would waste to use his variety of talents at his disposal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also, I want him to take antagonist roles as well, since he does plays those roles pretty well and it would waste to use his variety of talents at his disposal.

lol - Basically, more Evil!Jin Gyeom or Evil!Kang To type action, even if it ends up total nightmare fuel for us :naughty::skull: Hey, if he can do it, he might as well flaunt it, right? ;) 

• Blob 2

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

ol - Basically, more Evil!Jin Gyeom or Evil!Kang To type action, even if it ends up total nightmare fuel for us 

Not exactly, but more like hybrid of Ma Jun and Evil PJG. Since evil PJG is too much for me as well to handle it. He is a more fit for horror dramas not the normal ones.

10 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Hey, if he can do it, he might as well flaunt it, right?

Who knows? He might get his fist Baeksang award(he only has best new actor award) for best acting as a antagonist or if I could stretch he might he get Daesang :wink:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Not exactly, but more like hybrid of Ma Jun and Evil PJG.

I keep going back and forth between wanting to see JW play a sympathetic villain (like Gu Ma Jun or, for the sake of argument, Kimura Shunji), and just a straight-up "evil and proud of it" sort of villain.

Since evil PJG is too much for me as well to handle it. He is a more fit for horror dramas not the normal ones.

I think when it comes down to it, though, after seeing see Evil!Park Jin Gyeom, I think I wouldn't mind JW playing someone like that in earnest: in terms of acting potential, I think the calculated creepy type is more intriguing than the tempestuous violent type.

Who knows? He might get his fist Baeksang award(he only has best new actor award) for best acting as a antagonist or if I could stretch he might he get Daesang

A Baeksang Daesang? Wouldn't that be, like, one of those ultimate "lifetime achievement" awards? Okay, to be fair, JW already has a couple of those (SBS Daesang, Producer's Award from both KBS and SBS), but Daesang for something as prestigious as the Baeksang Awards really should go to a veteran, shouldn't it? ;) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kittyna said:

ut Daesang for something as prestigious as the Baeksang Awards really should go to a veteran, shouldn't it?

Well, I did not mean that he should get it right away. What I meant was he should eventually get it by improving his acting skills, whether as a protagonist or antagonist. :tongue:

• Like 2

A possible reunion? And also, looks like joo won will be on 41st Blue Dragon Film Awards, I guess he will be presenting an award

I wonder what happened to his movie,the only information I have is that it is  going to release in 2021, I hope this will not have the same fate as first C-drama had, that's the most unfortunate timing for him, his drama was about to release when the Chinese government announced the K-drama ban and from that instance there no news about that drama.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I wonder what happened to his movie,the only information I have is that it is  going to release in 2021, I hope this will not have the same fate as first C-drama had, that's the most unfortunate timing for him, his drama was about to release when the Chinese government announced the K-drama ban and from that instance there no news about that drama.

I don't know the usual timeline behind film production in Korea: filming, post-production editing, advertising, release. But my guess right now is that it's still in the post-production editing phase, and that that may have been slowed down or delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions (e.g. if the number of employees able to come in to work at any time has been limited). Films are still being made and released in Korea, so there's no reason why this one would end up scrapped that I can think of - chances are, the production crew's just not ready to have a clear release date yet :) 

50 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

A possible reunion? And also, looks like joo won will be on 41st Blue Dragon Film Awards, I guess he will be presenting an award

Since JW and Park Hye Su both had VLive Christmas broadcasts on the same day, I've been hoping for a collab between them. I guess this is when it'll happen.

As for the Blue Dragon Film Awards, I wonder how this bit between JW and PHS will mesh with things that were rumoured from earlier (e.g. a performance of Ghost songs with IVY, a possible reunion with BoA, etc.) I guess we'll find out soon, though, since it's just a few days from now :gangnamstyle:

• Awesome 2

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

(e.g. a performance of Ghost songs with IVY, a possible reunion with BoA, etc.) I guess we'll find out soon, though, since it's just a few days from now 

I thought the performance was scrapped because of covid restrictions. I am glad it's back on track

I don't know if we could get to see Joo won BoA on the same stage, but I would definitely like to see PHS and Joo won do a Vlive, like they did it back when they were shooting Yong-pal. 

16 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Films are still being made and released in Korea, so there's no reason why this one would end up scrapped that I can think of - chances are, the production crew's just not ready to have a clear release date yet :) 

But, there is no teaser or trailer or at least first look, it has already been an year and there seem to be no sign of the movie and in the profiles of actors also it has not been updated with this movie title, like it's not in actors movie list. I really like to see Joo won get his movie a 1 million admissions for his movie, it's like Joo won's wishlists for his movie career. 

• Like 2

Looks the Ghost performance is on for Blue dragon award show, which is going to air on SBS channel

On 2/8/2021 at 9:27 AM, kittyna said:

ol - When you sit down and think about it, Do Yeon does tend to threaten Jin Gyeom a lot. Like, even more than the people who would pose an actual threat to his life or safety

And sometimes she looks more scarier than actual villains :lol:

• Like 2