Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kittykoo

clear nail polish on earrings?

Guest kittykoo
i heard that stops the itching ?
Is it true that when you apply clear nail polish on the part of your earring that goes through your hole(LOL) it'll prevent the itching? because ive had a few problems with it, not BAD ones but i have had infections and the holes got clogged and whatnot. So tell me. anyone uise that trick and does it work? (:

Guest udonXD

ah! i sorta have the same problem, except that i'm allergic to some metals. i've tried the clear nail polish but it didnt work so i bought the plastic protector and it really helps

it looks like this: http://www.aaajewelry.com/HypoallergenicEarrings_Help.html - scroll down to the third picture

u can buy it at claires :D

Guest peppermintsugar

Stop buying cheap, terrible jewelry. Not much of a trick but I bet it'll work. I know most cute, dangly earrings come in cheap metals and irritate the ear, so you should only wear them for as long as you need to, and for the rest of the time you should keep some high quality metal in the ear like gold, silver, surgical steel, etc etc.

Guest lifelovebeauty07

I've never heard this before, but I would just caution you to be careful what you put on your skin... most nail polish contains harmful chemicals that aren't the greatest for you, so I would avoid putting it inside piercings or directly on the skin. I agree with getting better quality jewelry... I don't think you should be experiencing the itching beyond maybe when you first get your ears pierced unless you are allergic to the metal. Try different metals -- some people are allergic to gold, or cheap metals, or something else entirely. You can try sterling silver or titanium or something else, and you can even find good deals when jewelry goes on clearance at your favorite department stores so it wouldn't cost as much. But usually if your body itches or something, it is a sign of irritation or allergy, so I would just try to avoid whatever is causing it rather than putting other potential irritants on your skin. Just trying to help!! Good luck. :)

Guest qootex

i do this and it totally works! i personally don't care about the chemicals in the nail polish. we consume and are in contact with "chemicals" everyday already. i don't think it'd make much of a difference or kill. if you use nail polish, the chemicals in it probably seeps into your system from your nail anyway.

Guest peppermintsugar

i do this and it totally works! i personally don't care about the chemicals in the nail polish. we consume and are in contact with "chemicals" everyday already. i don't think it'd make much of a difference or kill. if you use nail polish, the chemicals in it probably seeps into your system from your nail anyway.

Saying "we come into contact with these chemicals so they're probably all around safe" is a really richard simmons-poor argument.

You use bleach to clean things, and it's safe to touch, but if you drink it you will die. So, is it safe or unsafe? Just because nail polish is safe to go on your nails doesn't mean it's safe to go inside of a piercing hole.

That said, it's not a good idea, it's not healthy, and it's not smart. Just get some good quality jewelry.

Guest itsannies

Have your ears been recently pierced, like within a year or so? Becaues when I first started out with brand new pierced ears, they would react to regular metal and even sterling silver. Then like 2 years later I tried wearing metal earrings again, and my ears didnt react to it. It might also be your skin in shock of a new substance because your body is made to reject metal and that sort because it is foreign. It happens to me sometimes when I wear a new pair of earrings, it will get red and itchy, then 2 days later, it's fine.

Guest qootex

Saying "we come into contact with these chemicals so they're probably all around safe" is a really richard simmons-poor argument.

You use bleach to clean things, and it's safe to touch, but if you drink it you will die. So, is it safe or unsafe? Just because nail polish is safe to go on your nails doesn't mean it's safe to go inside of a piercing hole.

That said, it's not a good idea, it's not healthy, and it's not smart. Just get some good quality jewelry.

using bleach as an example is clearly an extreme, so your comparison is a "richard simmons poor example." like i have said, i did not say it would be completely safe, but that it would do little harm if any at all. my point was if we avoid all things unsafe in life, we would be living in a bubble. hair dye is unsafe and said to be cancerous, but there is a huge and growing thread on soompi on hair dye. own a phone? forget about that, it gives off radiation. use a microwave? forget about that too, because it has radiation. i guess that leaves you to making your own fire to cook your genetically modified food. i don't think so. because then you'd be inhaling bad air AND consuming chemically made food. well isn't that a problem? (sarcasm).

anyway, to clarify what i had written in my first post, i had said there is likely little harm with the use of nail polish on earrings. i'll leave this with a disclaimer and say to do this with caution and at one's own discretion.

Guest xsaranghae<3

I've never heard of this but I guess it should be fine. I mean Its safe for you to eat food with your fingers if your nails are painted right? And since you're only using a clear coat it wouldnt be that bad. Plus its not as if your ear hole isnt permanent. If you just pierced your ears not too long ago then I wouldnt do it since your ears can still get infected and such but since its formed and all I think it should be okay...

Guest peppermintsugar

using bleach as an example is clearly an extreme, so your comparison is a "richard simmons poor example." like i have said, i did not say it would be completely safe, but that it would do little harm if any at all. my point was if we avoid all things unsafe in life, we would be living in a bubble. hair dye is unsafe and said to be cancerous, but there is a huge and growing thread on soompi on hair dye. own a phone? forget about that, it gives off radiation. use a microwave? forget about that too, because it has radiation. i guess that leaves you to making your own fire to cook your genetically modified food. i don't think so. because then you'd be inhaling bad air AND consuming chemically made food. well isn't that a problem? (sarcasm).

anyway, to clarify what i had written in my first post, i had said there is likely little harm with the use of nail polish on earrings. i'll leave this with a disclaimer and say to do this with caution and at one's own discretion.

derp.

The difference is, I'm pretty sure you know little to nothing about proper piercing care, as demonstrated by your advice.

See, I'm not going to advise someone do something that's very clearly not good for you just because "you will probably be okay." I will instead give good advice to find a proper alternative that will fix the problem, and be healthier for your body.

Guest qootex

i gave my own personal opinion to the subject the original poster had asked about. i would not intentionally advise somebody to do something that would be harmful. to be honest, when i first started doing this, i was concerned with the chemicals in nail polish as well. however, from personal experience, i have not had any problems.

i don't disagree that someone should buy good quality earrings. i'm just saying that there is another alternative solution to the problem, although one should do so with caution. it's worked for me, so it may work for others.

derp.

The difference is, I'm pretty sure you know little to nothing about proper piercing care, as demonstrated by your advice.

See, I'm not going to advise someone do something that's very clearly not good for you just because "you will probably be okay." I will instead give good advice to find a proper alternative that will fix the problem, and be healthier for your body.

Guest whatanniewears

never ever heard of this one!

I was told that as long as you clean properly and avoid bad quality earrings, it won't itch!

Guest Haejin2000

You might find after a while using clear nail polish causes for issues than it solves. Although it helps you temporarily wear cheaper earrings, if the rings you're wearing a the ones with the butterfly clips in the back, those clips grate off the nail polish in tiny shards and they get lodged inside the piercing.

This can lead to cysts, irritation, puss and the dreaded 'Cheese Ears'.

The best advice is to get good quality earrings.

If you have a pair of earrings you LOVE but the post is giving you a hassle, there are services online that take your earrings and replace the post with a safe metal.

Guest oasisღ

i've never heard of this but i wouldn't recommend it. nail polish is made for use on the nails, and has not been marketed to be used anywhere else for a reason. :)

Guest Kirei_BoA

my ears are sensitive to certain metals (which is why they're itchy and may be the reason why your ears are itchy), so if i were to get earrings, they would be REALLY expensive. so i put clear nail polish on the earrings i get and it totally works.

Guest iPhets

like peppermintsugar have suggested, get a pair of quality earrings.

i have a lot of poor quality cheapo cute earrings that i wear in the day but i take them off as soon as i get back and change into the gold plated ones i have, and it looks perfectly fine so far!

i wouldn't suggest the nail polish idea because a piercing is pretty much an open wound and...i dont think i want nail polish on that.

well thats my logic anyways.

you may also want to clean your ears every time you shower!

when i forget to do so, even with my 'good quality earrings', it still gets infected or itchy especially when i miss more than 2 days.

the key to this is a clean ear! so make sure you clean it thoroughly whenever you can.

also, if you piercing is old and isn't infected at the moment, you could also go without earrings in the night and wear a pair in the day. thats what my mom does anyway.

Guest hobobear

don't do it. i heard of this as well a few years back. I tried it.... the next morning i woke up with a swollen face. went away within a day though.... but it didn't work.

Guest SeungriIsMine

I don't really like wearing earrings. So I don't buy expensive ones but I do have the same problem.

So when I use cheap earrings, I only wear them for a day and stuff. :D

oh thats weird.. i rarely clean my earrings after showering.. or even after weeks of wearing it.

and i never get infections or itchy ears (then again ive had my piercings since i was 4 and my second ones since 18)

most of my earrings are white gold but the rest are just from icing&claire's /shrugs..

i wouldnt recommend putting clear coat on your posts only because of the chemicals in lacquers that you would absorb is toxic (albeit you would have to use a fresh coat every single day for the rest of your life.. which i doubt any of you would do :D)

(worked at a nail shop for my mom for awhile so i know a little about what im talking about)

Guest dramaprincessxox

I just buy pure silver or gold most of the time. It's more expensive but it's better than getting my ears killed by fashion jewellery! I can't wear fashion jewellery for more than 3-4 hours, and by then my ears are already getting sore. In my case they don't itch. Instead, my skin has an allergic reaction and then it takes some days to heal.