[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

October 5, 2009

Capitalizing on hallyu

Tens of thousands of fans gathered at the Tokyo Dome at the end of last month to celebrate the publication of Bae Yong-joon’s book “A Trip in Search of Korea’s Beauty.” This latest move by the actor, who gained fame for his role in the drama “Winter Sonata,” reveals new possibilities for harnessing the power of the Korean wave, or hallyu.

The book is expected to boost Korea’s tourism industry and promote the country’s brand image. It is a prime example of a well-made television drama being given new life as multiple forms of cultural content. Bae traveled to various places across the country to research the book, which features descriptions of traditional Korean culture, food and historical sites. The first edition, of which 50,000 copies were printed, sold out on the first day it was released.

Since Winter Sonata was first broadcast in Japan in 2003, the Korean wave has swept across the Asian region, to the degree that its economic effect over a two-year period is estimated to exceed more than 2.3 trillion won ($1.94 billion). We are also witnessing the tremendous effects that the preference for Korean dramas and Korean actors and actresses has generated outside of the economic realm. There is an increased affinity for Korean pop culture, Korean companies, Korea and Koreans in major sectors of society.

Ikko, a Japanese makeup artist and transgender TV personality, is said to have become fascinated with Korea after viewing Winter Sonata, when she began promoting Korean pop culture. She has since helped bring increasing numbers of Japanese tourists to the Myeongdong shopping area in Seoul.

A few days ago, Japan’s new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama met Korean actor Lee Seo-jin in Tokyo, and the two shared their desire to create a friendly relationship between the countries. According to a behind-the-scenes story, Hatoyama agreed to meet Lee with the encouragement of his wife, who is an enthusiastic fan of Korean dramas.

Unfortunately, it is true that the popularity of South Korean culture has ebbed in the past several years. Exports of cultural content, such as dramas and games, which surpassed 60 percent growth in 2003, grew by only 11 percent in 2006 and 13 percent in 2007. This is because the Korean government and the relevant industries have failed to manage and nurture the Korean wave in a systematic manner.

We should support and build on the popularity of hallyu. In the era of soft power, culture can be a powerful tool, not to mention its enormous economic potential. We need to establish a system for producing competitive cultural content, with and without our hallyu stars.

Source: joongangdaily.joins.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrasting Fashion Increases Interest in "The Queen Returns"

223_592_l.jpg

KBS2 drama “The Queen Returns” has been gaining attention with the contrasting fashion styles of the two leading actresses – Hwang Shin-hye and Oh Yeon-soo.

Hwang Shin-hye, playing Jang Gong-shim, a successful ballerina, shows off a bold, flamboyant style that defies her age. She usually wears mini dresses and skirts and loose blouses matched with showy accessories.

The last several episodes showed off what can be considered the epitome of her style, with the September 22 episode featuring her in an Audrey Hepburn look and September 28 in a riding dress.

Meanwhile, Oh Yeon-soo, playing Jang Gong-shim’s old rival Cha Do-gyeong, who is now living a tough life married to an incompetent man, emphasizes simplicity and modesty. She appears in casual clothes at home and in one-piece dresses with no frills when going out, which accentuate the actress’ elegant appearance.

Fashion in dramas is no longer only a means to clothe drama characters but a trendsetter that pulls people’s attention to the dramas. This is why the interest in the two actresses’ fashion styles is expected to serve as a boost for the show.

Although the drama is having hard time gaining popularity, as its rival “The Great Queen Seondeok” on MBC is a huge hit, it is receiving great support from fanatic fans with its comical and tight storyline.

Source : KBS Global

2009-10-05

Bae Yong-jun Denounces Term "Korean Wave"

fond03.jpg

photo from Koari.net

Actor Bae Yong-jun, who is known as a "Korean Wave" star, says he wishes the term "Korean Wave" were not used.

Bae made his remark during a meeting with journalists after an event that marked the publishing of his book on the beauty of Korea on September 30. "'Korean Wave' has become a trite phrase. I wish it were replaced with something like 'cultural exchange'," said the actor.

Bae once expressed displeasure with an article about him that was entitled "Kneeling In Front Of Korean Wave." "Once such news reports are published in Korea, they are cited in other countries as well. We need to put more thought into what is more beneficial for Korea," said Bae.

Source : KBS Global

Stars pose at a press conference for the new TV drama "Iris"

2009100600337_0.jpg

Stars pose at a press conference for the new TV drama "Iris" at a hotel in Seoul on

Monday.From left, Jung Jun-ho, Kim Tae-hee, Lee Byung-hun, Kim Seung-woo, Kim

So-yeon, and Top.

2009100600337_1.jpg

Kim Tae-hee (left) and Lee Byung-hun

2009100600337_2.jpg

From left, Top, Kim So-yeon and Kim Seung-woo

Source : Chosun Ilbo

October 6, 2009

Machismo, six-pack abs the latest business trend

Flip through a magazine these days and you’ll likely come across an advertisement featuring a physically masculine male wearing a tight shirt - or no shirt at all.

Machismo, it seems, is all the rage in the entertainment and advertising worlds, in a major way.

“I registered with a fitness club last month with my friends because I was motivated to when I saw celebrities with exceptional abdominal muscles on TV,” said Lee Jun-ho, a 32-year-old who lives in Seoul.

From young idol groups whose members like to show off their bare torsos during performances to older Korean actors like Lee Byung-hun, whose rock-solid body was on display in the summer Hollywood blockbuster “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra,” muscles and masculinity in general are what’s selling.

96795001.jpg

Korean companies are capitalizing on this move to macho in a variety of ways, flaunting models with chiseled abdominal muscles in their advertisements and even developing new products aimed at males looking to bulk up. It’s a noticeable shift from an earlier trend that focused more on the softer, even feminine side of men.

Gyms, in particular, are benefitting from the trend.

Kam Min-gyu, a trainer at a sports center in Jamsil, southern Seoul, said the number of people signing up for gym memberships has jumped “thanks to the phenomenon.” Sales of chicken breast, a low-calorie, healthier alternative to red meat that Kam and other trainers recommend for those looking to add muscle, have also rocketed - some of which can be tied to the increased focus on machismo, observers say.

According to the Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 830 tons of chicken breast were imported in the first five months of this year - a massive increase from the 11 tons imported during the same period last year. “Because of this trend, our revenue has increased rapidly,” said Kang Ki-cul from the marketing department of Harim, a chicken company. “Following this trend, we introduced a canned chicken breast product targeting males in their 20s and 30s.”

Missha, a cosmetics company, recently launched a premium cosmetic brand for men with advertisements emphasizing the muscularity of the uber-macho actor Lee Byung-hun. The result? The company said it is selling 1,000 products in the line on average every day.

By Jesslyn Jang, Michelle Kim [ebiz@joongang.co.kr] via joongangdaily.joins.com

October 6, 2009

'IRIS' Turning Point in Kim Tae-hee's Acting Career

"I want to gain recognition for my acting skills. I hope this production will serve as a turning point in my life," said actress Kim Tae-hee, who plays a profiler of an intelligence organization in the TV drama "IRIS." Kim has eight years of acting experience and she is more passionate than ever about her job.

7158_424_l.jpg

"I have never studied acting in a systematic way. I was totally unprepared. It's a lot of pressure for me because viewers seem to like this drama," said Kim. KIm took a break from her acting career last year to take acting classes. "IRIS" was an opportunity for her to learn a great deal about acting.

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who plays opposite Kim in the drama, lauded the actress for her pure-hearted personality and willingness to learn despite her acting experience.

Kim said she felt nauseous when she was filming the first scene of "IRIS" after a long hiatus, but that she felt comfortable thanks to the support of the production crew. "I ate more to gather strength for action scenes and I did my best, but Kim So-yeon looked more impressive to me onscreen. I will continue to take action classes because we still have several action scenes left," said Kim.

7158_425_l.jpg

Source: KBS Global

October 6, 2009

Cinema Sales Hit Record High in Q3

Cinema earnings reached an all-time high in the third quarter thanks to higher ticket prices and a passel of hit Korean movies. The Korean Film Council said Monday that cinemas nationwide took in more than W328.7 billion (US$1=W1,174) in sales in the quarter, breaking the previous record of nearly W327.7 billion in the third quarter of 2007. Some 46.04 million people flocked to movie theaters between July and September, the second largest quarterly audience since 51.28 million two years ago.

Sales were higher than in Q3 of 2007 despite the smaller number of moviegoers because ticket prices went up. The nation's top three cinema chains -- Mega Box, Lotte Cinema and CGV -- raised prices in late June by W1,000 from W7,000 for weekdays and W8,000 for weekends.

2009100600355_0.jpg

The film council attributes the record-breaking sales to a popular slate of domestic movies. The summer blockbusters "Haeundae" and "Take Off" together drew nearly 20 million movie watchers, and six other Korean films were among the top 10 most popular in the quarter, including "Chaw" and "Lifting King Kong." Of the quarter's total audience, more than 61 percent watched Korean films.

Movie theaters have earned W805.3 billion so far this year. The council predicts that sales will top W1 trillion by year's end if the industry continues to supply appealing films over the remaining three months.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

October 6, 2009

Jang Shin-young to Divorce

2009100600621_0.jpg

Jang Shin-young

Actress Jang Shin-young is divorcing after three years of marriage. According to Star News on Monday, the 26-year-old actress filed for divorce at the Seoul Eastern District Court on Monday afternoon.

Jang married a man surnamed Wi whom she met through an acquaintance while shooting the film "Springtime" in 2006.

The reason for the divorce is given as personal differences, but an acquaintance said economic hardship may have been an issue due to her husband's business failure. The two separated eight months ago.

They reportedly agreed that the custody of their son goes to Jang.

October 7, 2009

Actress Seeks Divorce Due to Husband’s Debt

091007_am_actress.jpg

Actress Jang Shin-young

Actress Jang Shin-young has applied for divorce after nearly three years of marriage.

Jang, 25, attributed her request to the wide gap in character with her husband. But press reports blamed the mounting debt of her businessman husband, identified only as Wi, 33, for the couple's breakup.

An acquaintance of Jang was quoted as saying, "Wi had been struggling with a lot of debt owing to business failures. They tried, in vain, to avoid divorce in consideration of their son.'' Wi reportedly reached a final decision on divorce out of fear that his debt might affect Jang's acting career negatively.

Wi had been working for BOF (Boundaries of Forest), hallyu (Korean wave) star Bae Yong-jun's agency, as a marketing director before starting his own business dealing in baby items after marriage. But his business went from bad to worse amid snowballing debt.

The couple separated eight months ago and their three-year-old child will be in Jang's custody.The actress, who filed a divorce petition with a Seoul district court on Monday, married Wi in November 2006.

She made her entertainment debut through a local beauty contest in 2001. Most recently, she starred in KBS drama "The Road Home.''

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

October 6, 2009

'IRIS' to Finally Unfold on Small Screen

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

091006_p14_iris.jpg

The actors of the upcoming drama “IRIS” smile at cameras at the press conference

held in central Seoul, Monday. From left, Jung Jun-ho, Kim Tae-hee and Lee Byung-hun.

The new espionage series will start airing Oct. 14 at 9:55 p.m. on KBS. / Courtesy of Taewon Entertainment

The upcoming drama "IRIS" is expected to be about more than top stars, sleek suits and action scenes.

The 20-episode television soap will finally air next week, and the actors and crew got together one last time for a press conference Monday, at Sogong-dong, central Seoul, to offer what they have in store,

"It's already our third press conference. I have never seen a drama that held so many promotional events," quipped Lee Byung-hun, who stars as the National Security Service agent Kim Hyun-jun.

The espionage series will deal with love, hate and betrayal between spies from both South and North Korea and the dangerous tasks and choices the protagonist, played by Lee, must accomplish. "IRIS" follows the recent trend in film and drama making, according to the two directors Kim Kyu-tae and Yang Yun-ho.

"IRIS" is fast paced and there are no cliche coincidences like soaps we see on local television today. Everybody enjoys the espionage genre and the division of North and South Korea will certainly work as a tool to attract overseas viewers as well. But the focus will be more on the spy world rather than inter-Korean politics,'' Yang said.

When it comes to spy films, there are a lot to choose from, including the legendary 007 James Bond and Bourne series. For Lee, "IRIS" is more like the Bourne series, where "the character is not handsome, luxurious and flirty, but dirty, always in danger and tired."

"IRIS" is based on reality. You can expect realistic moves from the Bourne films. They were pretty dangerous, and I do hope we don't do any of those stunts again during upcoming shoots,'' he said, looking at the two directors next to him with a hopeful smile.

Thanks to former movie director Yang, who is looking to produce a movie version, the action scenes and long shot sequences from an exclusive clip shown looked like they popped out of the silver screen, while the various locations including Hungary, China and Japan also worked as an attractive background. Nevertheless, the highlight was the actors' performances throughout the film, with some being thrown about by an explosion, jumping off bridges and even roping down a dam.

At one point, director Yang had to stop filming for a minute to check if the actors were okay during a car crash segment. "It was a very dangerous scene and we couldn't use a stunt double because we didn't know which scene we were going to use. Right after the crash, we all froze and waited for the team, including the actors, to crawl out from the damaged car." he said.

Many were injured along the way, but for Lee, it was simply another step toward making a good film and drama. "After finishing shooting, I look down at my body and count the scars. Whenever I find a scar, it's like going through a history of the television series and films I have worked on. I consider them medals," he said.

The heroines of "IRIS'' are Kim Tae-hee, who plays South Korean agent Choi Seung-hee, and Kim So-yeon, who plays North Korean agent Kim Seon-hwa, and also had their share of shooting guns and fighting with their bare fists. "Kim (Tae-hee) may look weak with her delicate features and petite body, but she was actually the first in line whenever we had a meal. She would eat more than the male actors, and this proved to be a great asset when filming action scenes," said Kim Seung-woo, who plays the head of the North Korean spy agents.

At the first press conference held last May, the makers and actors emphasized that they wanted to make a drama worth having as a DVD set, just like the U.S.' "24" and "CSI'' series, and they seemed more confident as the airing date approached.

"Many local television series have gone overseas and attracted many Asian fans, which we now call the Korean wave. Many have pointed out that the wave has started to die down, and we hope to bring back the wave with "IRIS". Our final goal is to start a new phenomenon in the history of local dramas,'' Kim Seung-woo said.

"IRIS" will be aired from Oct. 14 at 9:55 p.m. on KBS.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

October 6, 2009

No More Basement Living for Successful Hyun Young

2009100600626_0.jpg

2009100600626_1.jpg

Supermodel-turned-TV personality Hyun Young has purchased a 330-sq. m apartment, a huge upgrade from the tiny basement in Seoul where she lived when starting her showbiz career 12 years ago.

"It took a bit more time than expected because I bought two houses for my parents in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province, and Hwacheon, Gangwon Province," Hyun said. "To be honest, I never thought I'd be able to buy a house of my own so soon. I think the most important thing when trying to grow your wealth is saving. If you put away even small amounts of money, you can eventually have a large sum."

October 6, 2009

Idol band drama features girl as boy

200910060030.jpg

The cast of SBS`"He`s Beautiful!" idol band A.N.JELL (from left to right)-Jang Keun-suk,

Park Shin-hye, Jung Yong-hwa and Lee Hong-ki [sBS]

Girl masquerades as boy in SBS' new Wednesday and Thursday series "He's Beautiful!" The classic formula worked in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," in the hit MBC series "Coffee Prince" and in films like "Shakespeare in Love" and "She's the Man." So, will it work this time around?

For starters, the premise is a bit different. Imagine. Korea's top boy band gains a new member. To the public, he is just a pretty boy. Only he isn't. He is a she. And her band members know. "The drama is very speedy," "He's Beautiful!" star Jang Keun-suk revealed at a press conference held on Sept. 24. "The fact that she is a girl is revealed early on, in the first episode, and then more incidents occur."

Based on Jang's statement, the plot, then, will not rely on the comical and dramatic value of the heroine's struggles to hide her true identity. It will focus on how the heroine and her male band members cope with having to bunk together, bond, and maybe cultivate a little inter-band romance or two.

During the preview, Jang, who plays the issue-ridden leader of the group, displayed a knack for doing arrogant boy geniuses, a character type he pulled off last year in the hit MBC drama "Beethoven Virus."

Co-star Park Shin-hye, cast as the only female member of an all male group, was a convincing girl-dressed-as-boy lost in a boy-dominant world. "Jang's character really hates me. Co-star Yong-hwa's character looks out for me and co-star Hong-ki's character is wary of me," "Tree of Heaven" actress Park summarized the characters' initial relationship dynamics.

By Hong-ki, Park means boy band F.T. Island lead vocalist Lee Hong-ki, who, alongside C.N.Blue band member Jung Yong-hwa, and thespians Jang and Park, will be playing a fellow idol group member.

The quartet took to the stage on Sept. 20 as part of a live mini concert that was filmed for the upcoming drama. Performing as A.N.JELL, the name of their characters' band, they showcased two songs. "We performed in front of an audience of 1,500, in a real concert," said Jang. "I think they really enjoyed it." Jang hinted at future performances to come: "I believe that we may just hold another mini concert like this."

Girl band After School member UEE is joining the musically gifted and young cast as a two-faced diva who is interested in Jang's boy genius. "To become a singer, a lot of effort is made over a long period of time," UEE described her own personal experiences as a K-pop artist. "From that, an album emerges. I hope that A.N.JELL reveals that singers put in a great deal of effort."

"He's Beautiful!" airs tonight on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) via koreaherald.co.kr

October 6, 2009

Rain to Reappear in CNN’s Talk Asia

091006_am_rain.jpg

Rain

K-pop sensation and actor Rain will make a return appearance on CNN's "Talk Asia'' to answer questions selected from those posted by his fans on the cable news channel's homepage.

On its Web site, CNN introduces Rain (real name Jung Ji-hoon) as a singer-actor with five albums to his name who has performed before thousands of screaming fans at concerts across the world. "He's gone from being a backup dancer to the biggest thing in Asian pop culture, an actor and singer who has sold millions of albums,'' it says.

It also says he broke into the notoriously tough South Korean show business with JYP Entertainment when he was just 18 years old and is known as one of the hardest working people in the entertainment business. Rain is expected to record the interview later this month. It is his first visit in four years to the program, which invites influential figures in the region.

Hundreds of fans from all over the world have already posted questions. Queries range from "Who is your favorite Hollywood actress?" and "Why did you turn Megan Fox down?'' to "What is your goal in the end?" and "When does your U.S. debut album come out?"

Rain made his first mark on Hollywood last year with a role in "Speed Racer,'' appearing alongside Christina Ricci and Matthew Fox.

The upcoming action film "Ninja Assassin," which stars Rain, will be released on Nov. 25. In the film, he plays an orphan who becomes a ninja warrior. The film, directed by James McTeigue ("V for Vendetta") and produced by the Wachowski brothers, has been one of the most highly anticipated action films of the year.

Credits: chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

October 6, 2009

Will blockbuster drama 'IRIS' get to pop the champagne?

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok | two@10asia.co.kr

2009100609254212271_1.jpg

From left, TV series "IRIS" cast members Jung Jun-ho, Kim Tae-hee, Lee Byung-hun,

Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and Choi Seung-hyun. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

"Someone said we should pop the champagne here. But we'll pop it once the series really becomes a hit," a member on the production crew of TV series "IRIS" said of his confidence in the drama at a press conference held Monday at the Lotte Hotel in Seoul. As such, it would be strange if broadcasters did not take an interest in this drama starring A-listed actors including Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Jung Jun-ho, was in production for a year and has been promoting itself as a 'major blockbuster action drama'. A mass of media companies gathered to the press conference where the directors and stars of the upcoming KBS drama had to answer to a flood of questions for an hour.

The reason "IRIS" needed to have and could even bring together such a cast was because of the scale of story which includes a confrontation between North and South Korea's intelligence agencies and the conspiracy surrounding the United States' military industrial complex. Edited versions of the first two episodes of the drama revealed at the press conference did enough to emphasize this point. Actors were constantly seen engaging in the action scenes which Lee called "close-to-life, like in the Jason Bourne series." Lee dangled in the sky on a single rope and Kim herself acted out a fighting scene in the subway. The drama was on a larger scale and contained more complex action scenes compared to previous films based on similar topics such as "SHIRI". "IRIS" also took the taste of its 21st century viewers into consideration, using satellite and closed circuit television technology to display various types of pursuit scenes rather than simply blowing up more explosives or having gunfights. Lee and Jung's acting was as stable as expected as their ad-libs tossed here and there into the script loosened up the mood at appropriate times.

Hence, it may be from the confidence in these factors that directors Kim Kyoo-tae and Yang Yun-ho emphasized in having to take a "drama-like approach" rather than worrying over the scale or perfection of the drama. Their concern was that the audience may become puzzled with the various characters involved in the story based on the two Koreas and the military-industrial complex of the U.S. "We can't pinpoint to a main enemy because the story is on such a large scale," Yang said of his worries regarding the drama, adding that they tried to make the first three episodes easier and more comfortable for the audience to understand. That is why "IRIS" still has a few more episodes to shoot although it went into production well ahead of time. This is where you can see the producer's concern in having to create a so-called 'blockbuster' with topics unrelated to recent trends. In times where the drama market continues to shrink due to the economic downturn and viewership rates are on the fall, will "IRIS" really get to pop the champagne?

2009100611515987990_2.jpg

Lee Byung-hun: as Kim Hyun-joon, at the center of the melodrama and action

"I had a double but they said they needed my face too so we ended up shooting the same scene twice." This statement showed how hard of a time Lee had shooting the action scenes in "IRIS". Like fellow actor Jung had jokingly said, "I didn't have to go through as much trouble as Lee because my character was a rational guy," Lee played the character with the most action scenes. And it is because while in the big picture, "IRIS" is about the security situation surrounding the Korean Peninsula, the story is also about "how national intelligence agent Kim Hyun-joon changes drastically in extreme situations". Lee has to act out a wide range of emotions -- from the slightly humorous character in the beginning of the drama alongside Kim and Jung to the agent feeling extreme anger. That is why he says he "focused on acting like how a real spy would" rather than trying display how attractive he can be at both ends of his emotions.

2009100611515987990_3.jpg

Jung Jun-ho: as Jin Sa-woo, the character with a complex to always be the best

"You have to wear a bulletproof vest to attend a press conference with this guy because he makes up so many of the things he says," Lee said jokingly while refuting comments Jung made about him. But this statement in itself showed the role Jung played on set of "IRIS". He, along with actor Kim Seung-woo, were the ones who set the mood while shooting and helped co-stars Kim Tae-hee, Kim So-yeon and TOP to adjust to their own and opposite roles. The character Jin Sa-woo he plays in the drama is also a catalyst amongst the other roles. He is best friends with Kim Hyun-joon in the beginning of the story but feels a secret rivalry to him deep down inside, and then is becomes conflicted as he starts to love Choi Seung-hee, played by Kim Tae-hee. That is how much of an unpredictable character Jin is. Jung, who is known to have ad-libbed all the comical scenes in the beginning, said "I was worried that Jin may seem too much of a serious guy since the story is about intelligence agency officials so I tried to add a bit of myself into the character."

2009100611515987990_4.jpg

Kim Tae-hee: as spy Choi Seung-hee, who can do everything from action to profiling

Kim Tae-hee shows more various sides to her than we have seen before while playing Choi Seung-hee in "IRIS". She tried so hard that she "lost a good amount of hair" shooting several takes of a scene where she gets her hair yanked by a terrorist and also had to act like a female whom nobody can quite figure out until her identity as an intelligence official is revealed. Kim said she herself tried to create the various sides her character has -- showing the more loving and ladylike sides to her in the beginning of the drama for the melodrama scenes but showing more spy-like sides to her after the tenth episode. She said she also learned Japanese while on location in Japan in an effort to imitate the nuance of the language as best she could. She was also teased by her fellow actors as eating a lot, which she did to keep up her physical strength to shoot the various scenes, but it has served as the grounds to which she will probably be able to display more various acting skills.

2009100611515987990_5.jpg

Kim Seung-woo: as Park Cheol-young, "the North Korean spy with better style than the South Korean spy"

Kim Seung-woo, who plays North Korea's top spy, said he contemplated over whether to speak Korean in the dialect used in North Korea's main city of Pyongyang or in the standard South Korean dialect. He said he decided to use the South Korean dialect after seeing a boxer from North Korea use the Southern dialect well. That is how much thinking he put into his acting. Kim said his character Park has "an unflinching mind for his country and accurate judgement" -- qualities to make the perfect spy. Kim also expressed his affection for "IRIS" saying, "Taking on a production as big as 'Iris' may be an opportunity which may never come again." Kim had big hopes for the new series. "We've finished shooting over half of it and I am pretty sure that it will be good. I'm extremely satisfied. I hope that through this drama, fans overseas will be able to feel the uniqueness of Korean dramas, the energy of the actors and the skilled technology of the producers."

2009100611515987990_6.jpg

Kim So-yeon: as Kim Sun-hwa, the North Korean female spy

Kim plays a female killer in a North Korean intelligence agency. And it is why she had to get 12 stitches after suffering an injury while shooting an action scene in the drama. She said she in particular had a hard time carrying around the sniper gun which was "heavier than I thought and too long to carry in one hand". So she studied actress Kim Yun-jin's acting from hit film "Shiri" to analyze her own character. Kim So-yeon said she is worried a lot about the melodrama acting she will have to do opposite Lee into the second half of the drama. However, she says she is happy to be "taking on a role in the best production ever".

2009100612343595947_7.jpg

TOP (Choi Seung-hyun): as Vick, the killer who speaks with his gun

Big bang member TOP, whose real name is Choi Seung-hyun, plays the role of a killer hired by U.S. military-industrial complex "IRIS". His character is a sniper who maintains composure rather than physcially engaging in the fights. That is why TOP focused on his gun acting over anything else, going to shooting ranges to practice shooting live bullets. He said he also watched his favorite classic movies including "A Clockwork Orange" to analyze the acting of various characters. TOP had previous acting experience KBS TV series "I am Sam" but "IRIS" is on a different scale from it. "I wasn't interested before but I now feel responsibility and want to do well."

Credits: Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr l Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> lasiae.co.kr

October 6, 2009

'Chaw' sells to Australia's Madman

'A Brand New Life,' 'IRIS' find buyers in Toronto's wake

By Park Soo-mee

SEOUL -- “Chaw,” director Shin Jung-won’s latest adventure black comedy, has found an Australian distributor, Madman Entertainment, at the Toronto International Film Festival, Seoul-based sales company Finecut announced Tuesday.

Finecut, which also signed with Optimum Releasing as the Korean film’s distributor for U.K., has so far sold the film to 16 countries including Germany, Singapore and India.

Separately, “A Brand New Life,” an ambitious debut film by French director Ounie Lecomte was also sold to Thailand’s Sahamongkolfilm, France’s Diaphana, Hong Kong’s Edko Films and Cineart of the Benelux countries. Locally, Lecomte’s film will be released on 80 screens later this month.

Also, the theater version of the blockbuster TV series “IRIS: The Movie” starring an attractive cast of Korean actors including Lee Byung-hun ("G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra") was sold to MFA+ Film Distribution for German Speaking Europe. “My Dear Enemy” by helmer Lee Yoon-ki has been taken by Cineasie for Canada, and Na Hong-jin’s debut feature “The Chaser” sold to Calinos Entertainment for Turkey.

U.S. distributor Media Blaster acquired two horror flicks -- Yim Phil-sung’s “Hansel and Gretel” and Lee Jong-yong’s “A Blood Pledge” in Toronto.

For the upcoming market at the Pusan International Film Festival, Finecut also picked up an edgy thriller-black comedy “Desire to Kill” (working title) by directors Owen Cho and Kim Sang-hwa. The film depicts the story of a man hospitalized in the same room with his wife’s murderer.

The sales company also added an Argentinean title “Anita,” the new picture by Markos Carnevale, about an innocent Down syndrome girl changing the people she meets. The film will premiere in Pusan.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

pifflogo.gif

October 7, 2009

Josh Hartnett writes letter to Korean fans

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr기사 폰트확대

2009100708544222724_2.jpg

Hollywood actor Josh Hartnett in the film "I Come with the Rain" [K&Entertainment]

Hollywood actor Josh Hartnett has written a personal message to his Korean fans ahead of his visit to the country this week, according to a press release by film distributor K&Entertainment.

The actor sent a hand-written letter which said that he was "very excited" about attending the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) to promote his action thriller film "I Come with the Rain".

He said he had heard "many great things about Korea" from top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun, his co-star in "Rain", and would be "looking forward to meeting our fans, eating some good food, seeing the sights."

"Rain", written and directed by Vietnamese-born French director Tran Anh Hung of "The Scent of Green Papaya", has been invited to show in the Gala Presentation category at the PIFF this year.

All three stars of the film, also including popular Japanese singer and actor Takuya Kimura, will show up at the film fest which kicks off in the southern city of Pusan and Thursday and ends next Friday.

"Rain" will be released on October 15 in Korea.

2009100708544222724_3.jpg

Letter from Josh Hartnett [K&Entertainment]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr l Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> l asiae.co.kr

Lee Byung-hun to appear on CNN

2009100711013981935_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun is set to appear on CNN's Talk Asia to promote his new film "I Come with the Rain", according to a press release on Wednesday.

The actor will talk about various topics, including his latest work, his status as a Korean actor and philosophy in acting, film importer K&Entertainment said in the statement.

The interview will take place during the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) period, where "Rain" will be shown in the Gala Presentation category. The festival will take place in Pusan from October 8 thru October 16.

Lee has appeared in numerous Korean dramas and films, including hit TV series "All In" and director Park Chan-wook's 2000 film "Joint Security Area".

He will also star in the upcoming much-hyped TV series "IRIS", co-starring actress Kim Tae-hee and T.O.P. of idol group Big Bang, set to air on KBS2 TV starting October 14.

The 39-year-old actor debuted in Hollywood this year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller.

"Rain", an action thriller also starring Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura, will be released October 15 in Korea.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Source : Asia Economic Daily

October 2, 2009

Lee Seung-ki No.1 in Online Charts

e091002_01.jpg

Balladeer Lee Seung-ki has outperformed traditional favorites Park Hyo-shin and Kim Tae-woo to top an online weekly chart. The title song “Let Us Part” of his fourth album has finished first in the fourth week of September on the Monkey 3 chart. Lee’s song was in 18th place last week, but soared seventeen notches to throw Kim Tae-woo’s “Love Rain” out of the top spot. Kim fell down three places to finish fourth. Second place finisher was “TTL” by T-ara and Super Nova, followed by Park Hyo-shin’s “After Love.” 4minute’s “Muzik” was in 5th place.

Tender love songs have shown a strong presence in recent days as male ballad singers have made comebacks. Lee, Park Hyo-shin and Kim Tae-woo are leading the surge of soft music amid the summer-long dominance of girl groups and dance musicians.

October 5, 2009

Kim Jun Unveils His New Side

e091005_01.jpg

Kim Jun, member of idol group T-Max and one of the F4 in the drama “Boys over Flowers,” is showing off his manly side in a photo exhibition. Kim’s agent said that the dashing actor/singer took part in a photo exhibition titled “The Man” celebrating the publication of the 200th edition of Marie Claire Korea. The event was arranged as a part of the global aid program Join Together Society (JTS) to set up a fund to eradicate poverty for Asian Children. Also posing for the photo show were 46 top Korean stars, including Park Yong-ha, So Ji-seop, Lee Min-ho, and Cha Seung-won.

Kim has been working overtime lately, appearing in various TV variety shows and music programs, and even starring in a musical. His hectic schedule landed him in hospital for throat pain, but he was more than willing to take part in the event and promote the good cause. Kim also plans to participate in an online auction and other events for JTS.

KBS "Land" gets Int'l Emmy nom

2009100710301206646_1.jpg

Poster of KBS TV series "The Land of the Wind" [KBS]

KBS TV series "The Land of the Wind" has been nominated to compete in the Drama Series category of the International Emmy Awards this year, according to the official website for the ceremony.

It is the second time for a Korean program -- after KBS documentary "Chamagodo" last year -- to advance to the finals of the global awards ceremony.

"Wind", about the life of King Daemunsin of Goguryeo, was popular during its airing from September last year to January this year.

Top actor Song Il-guk and actress Choi Jung-won starred in the 36-part series shot throughout Korea and China.

Other networks nominated with the South Korea-based channel include HBO Latin America Originals in Mexico, Danish Broadcasting Corporation in Denmark, Paw Paw Films in South Africa, Kudos Film and TV Ltd in the United Kingdom.

The Emmy awards is an annual ceremony hosted by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences -- the largest organization of global broadcasters with more than 600 members from nearly 70 countries.

Winners will be announced in New York on November 21

Senior Reporter : Moon Yong-sung lococo@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Source : Asia Economic Daily

October 7, 2009

Lee Byung-hun Expands His Presence

5677_1.jpg

innolife.net

Actor Lee Byung-hun keeps expanding his screen presence. Following the last year movie “The Good, The Bad, The Weird,” which was invited to the Cannes Film Festival, Lee has debuted in Hollywood in the movie “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and appeared in the joint French-American film “I Come With The Rain.” His new TV drama “Iris” will go on the air late this year.

All of Lee’s recent works were filmed overseas. “I Come With The Rain,” which will be released next month at the Pusan International Film Festival, also stars the Hollywood star Josh Hartnett and the Japanese actor Takuya Kimura. The movie was directed by the Vietnam-born French director Tran Anh Hung. It is his first production since 2000, when he produced “At The Height Of Summer.”

Lee says he hesitated for one year before taking his role in the movie, and that he regarded it as an experiment. "When I first saw the script, I found it too abstract. I was scared because I didn’t understand this production fully. There was little that a world-renowned film producer knew about me. He must have only heard my name and a couple of my roles. So I wondered how I looked in the eyes of a director who had no bias against me and how he would use me,” said Lee.

In “I Come With The Rain” Lee plays the boss of the Hong Kong mafia. He receives a request from a former detective, who is played by Josh Hartnett, to find mini cooperao - the missing son of a billionaire. But he is surprised to find him together with his girlfriend, Lilly. Enraged, he begins to pursue mini cooperao.

Lee calls “I Come With The Rain” a “turning point” in his acting career. "I had been waiting for a production that would move me. This movie helped me open up my heart. I was interested but scared, but then I decided to face the dragon. Though acting is my lifelong profession, I can’t say for sure how long I’ll be able to act in good condition," said Lee.

The actor was confused at first to see the director of the movie let the cast act as they wanted, but once he got used to his style, it turned out to be a whole new experience. "The director told us to do what we wanted. He said that the cameras will just follow us. Though each appears on screen for only 5 seconds, in reality I had to act for one or two minutes without any directions whatsoever. It was very difficult, but when I got used to that, I liked it a lot."

7159_427_l.jpg

Lee says once he even ended up crying when filming a scene, because he was too immersed in his emotions, but right at that moment the director said “Cut.” He added, laughing, that the scene was cut out in the end.

Lee hesitated for one year before deciding to take his role in “I Come With The Rain.” It took him a couple of months to decide on “G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra” and only a month to take “The Good, The Bad, The Weird.” Interestingly enough, the shooting schedule of “I Come With The Rain” coincided with “The Good, The Bad, The Weird.” “I was overwhelmed back then, but in the hindsight it all looks very hectic to me now. At first I thought that traveling from China to Hong Kong would be nothing, but since we were filming in the back regions of China, we had to switch flights three times. The waiting time only combined to 13 hours. During the third trip, I became a wreck. I had a sore throat and fever. For the first time in my life I visited a hospital abroad."

The actor says though he feels pressured to appear only in large-scale productions -- both physically and mentally -- he tries his best to shake it off. "Appearing in small-scale productions doesn’t mean that you feel less responsible or less pressured. When you feel pressured by stereotypes, you can do nothing. The most important thing for an actor is freedom. I don’t pick large-scale productions deliberately. I’m always open to any possibility. I am as excited and anxious about my upcoming productions as my fans," says Lee.

Son Ye-jin Picked for Asiana Short Film Fest Jury

Actress Son Ye-jin has been picked as a jury member for the seventh Asiana International Short Film Festival, organizers told reporters Tuesday. She follows Kim Hye-soo, who was on the jury last year.

Ku Hye-sun was at the press meet not as an actress but as director of "The Cheerful Caretaker," the official trailer for the festival.

The AISFF will be held for six days from Nov. 5 at Cine Cube in Gwanghwamun, Seoul.

2009100700640_0.jpg

The 7th AISFF committee pose for a photo at a press conference at the Kumho Art

Hall in Seoul on Tuesday. From left, actors Ku Hye-sun, Ahn Sung-ki, Son Sook and

Son Ye-jin, and director Kim Jee-woon.

2009100700640_1.jpg

Son Ye-jin

2009100700640_2.jpg

Ku Hye-sun

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Archived