[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

November 23, 2010

'Yellow Sea' to offer real drama, thrills

By Han Sang-hee koreatimes.co.kr

201011232341779.jpg

The buzz has not started quite yet, but the three names that appear on the poster of the new film “Yellow Sea” will likely be more than enough to have local cineastes marking their calendars.

Director Na Hong-jin captivated viewers with his debut thriller “The Chaser” last year, and he is joining hands with the same cast — actors Kim Yun-seok and Ha Jung-woo — for his new action thriller slated for release next month.

“As I started to build up the story and scenario, the two actors just popped into my head. I didn’t worry about it becoming something like a sequel to ‘The Chaser,’ because it’s not. (Yellow Sea) is a completely different movie,” Na said during a press conference at a movie theater in northern Seoul, Tuesday, where the two actors were also present.

“If ‘The Chaser’ didn’t give viewers the chance to breathe, holding onto their seats scene after scene, ‘Yellow Sea’ will have the viewers peeking into the emotions of the characters. Because emotions are pretty subjective, I think there will be more room for various ideas and perspectives depending on the viewer,” Kim added.

The storyline may be a bit different, but the new flick may remind viewers of Na’s first feature film as it actually has similar components: rough, mysterious male characters, secrets and betrayals, chases and, most of all, real drama.

Gu-nam (Ha) is a taxi driver in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture in China. His wife left for Korea to earn money, but their debt just keeps piling up and Gu-nam loses contact with her. With no hope and desire to pay back his debt, let alone pick himself up from his misery, Gu-nam bumps into Myeon Jeong-hak, who offers to pay his debt if he agrees to kill someone in Korea.

The desperate and hopeless Gu-nam shakes hands with the mysterious gunslinger, but things take a turn when the man he is supposed to strike is killed by someone else. Now both Gu-nam and Myeon are in trouble, and they both get tangled up in a cat and mouse chase not knowing who the real villain is.

“To sum up the storyline into one sentence, it’s about a man from Yanbian and his desperate search for his wife. There are murders and chases, but that’s the main plot,” Kim said, adding that the details are so real, it may even feel like “watching a 4D film.”

The preview of the film proved that he was not joking about the details. From Ha’s blank, sorrowful eyes to Kim’s greedy and hair-raising smirks, the actors transformed themselves into the characters perfectly, making the viewer feel like they were actually next to Gu-nam, wandering the streets of Seoul, running for his life after being accused of a murder he didn’t commit and staring at his wife’s picture with empty eyes.

The two actors said it was especially an honor to work from start to finish in the filmmaking process with the director, as it helped them become more attached to the film and also have the chance to evolve with it as it grew day after day.

“Na is excellent in creating a story that is relatable to everyone and bringing it to life on the big screen. If you really think about it, his stories are not about that particular character, but about you and me, about relationships, family, betrayal and love,” Ha said.

“Yellow Sea” will be in theaters Dec. 22 and distributed by Showbox.

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 23, 2010

Korean documentary 'Mom and the Red Bean Cake' wins Emmy

Source: iemmys.tv hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr l koreaherald.com

20101123000945_0.jpg

Lee Jong-hyun poses with his award for Best Documentary “Mom and The Red Bean Cake” with Ayuna Park

at the 38th International Emmy Awards, Monday, New York. (AP-Yonhap News)

SEOUL, Nov. 23 (Yonhap) -- An MBC documentary that follows the life of a single mother with terminal cancer has won best documentary at the International Emmy Awards ceremony in New York.

"Mom and the Red Bean Cake" was honored at the 38th International Emmy Awards Gala in New York Monday night (local time), the awards' Web site said. It was the first Korean documentary to win an Emmy.

The documentary broadcast by MBC last year tells the story of Choi Jeong-mi, who is raising her two children with money from selling red bean cakes on the street while battling terminal stomach cancer. Her story touched off a fundraising campaign among viewers.

The Emmy awards are sponsored by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, a global organization of broadcasters from nearly 70 countries.

November 23, 2010

Culture medals for veteran entertainers

Source: Yonhap joongangdaily.com

22211159.jpg

Veteran actor Shin Goo was among the 32 people honored on the inaugural Pop Culture Artists’ Day yesterday, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism said.

Three Bogwan culture medals, the highest honor to be conferred on that day, were bestowed upon Shin, veteran comedian Im Hi-chun and voice actress Ko Eun-jeong.

Since his debut as a theater actor in “Bull” in 1962, Shin has devoted his life to acting, playing numerous roles in television dramas and movies over his 50-year career, the ministry said.

November 24, 2010

Spectacular Visual Effects in Movie ‘The Warrior's Way’

Source: KBS Global

A man once called “a man with empty eyes” (Jang Dong Gun) has trained his mind and body for a long time and finally defeats all his enemies, and becomes the top swordsman in the world. But he feels doubts about killing people and decides to hide himself in a remote place in a western village located across the sea with a baby whose parents had been killed by his own sword. He has lived a quiet life by running a laundry and gradually opens his mind to a tomboy named Lynne (Catherine Bosworth), who has been trying to come closer to him.

7592_1895_l.jpg

But the happiness does not last for long. A villainous captain (Danny Huston), who had murdered the whole family of Lynne, is threatening the whole village, and Jang’s previous colleagues who have discovered his betrayal are chasing him, and this situation forces Jang to unsheathe his sword and wield it again.

The movie “The Warrior's Way’,” which is actor Jang Dong Gun’s debut movie in Hollywood, has been likened to the Korean mixed dish "Bibimbap" because it includes all the features of a western movie, oriental martial arts movie, and Japanese ninja movie. The director has mixed those two genres of western movie and martial arts movie and added additional fantasy effects. So the special effects of the movie are outstanding. There are not many scenes filmed under natural sunlight; instead, the movie has mostly been filmed on set and the director relies highly on computer graphics for those special effects.

Similar scenes to the movie “300” (2006), in which Gerard Butler appears as the protagonist, are rampant in the movie. Jang Dong Gun, who has shown various facial expressions in many different movies, reveals only one dull frowned facial expression. Jang already said, “Expressing various emotions with only one facial expression was very difficult.” He shows only one facial expression constantly not because he cannot act very well but because his character in the movie called for it.

Director Lee Seung Moo, who debuted as a feature film director with this movie, seemed to try to focus on visual effects by controlling other elements. In particular, the fighting scene where Jang Dong Gun defeats villains in a hallway was filmed delicately and the scene looks very creative with special visual effects. Scenes such as a hermit and an expert rifleman Ron (Geoffrey Rush) blasting dynamite buried underground by shooting a gun and Jang Dong Gun killing ten people with only one slice look very familiar, but those action scenes still arouse excitement.

But the storyline is superficial. Masters who have been living as recluses defeat every villain who persecute the weak, and this is the main storyline in this movie. There is no romance and the conflicts among characters are too plain and have not been established in detail. For audiences who tend to put importance on a dramatic development of the storyline, this movie cannot be tempting at all. Actor Geoffrey Rush does not appear in many scenes, but he makes a strong impression and actress Catherine Bosworth sparkles in the movie.

The movie will be released in the USA on December 3, and in Korea on December 2.

November 25, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Jang Dong-gun

Lee Seung-Han fourteen @ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @, Jang Kyung-Jin three @

<Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

2010112510233400304_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Throughout a time span of three years, the title to Jang Dong-gun's upcoming Hollywood debut film changed from "Sand Warrior" to "Laundry Warrior" and to the current "The Warrior's Way." And during that time, Jang silently waited for the film to wrap up post-production and set a distributor. That is even more so why fans and industry have been curious to how he feels about the movie whose release date has finally been set for December 2 but to him, "The Warrior's Way" was more about how well he fulfills his duties as an actor representing Korea rather than his excitement over the film being released in Hollywood. Below are excerpts from the press interview held after the screening for the film set for a release on December 2.

10: Have you read any of the reviews that people have posted on the Internet of "The Warrior's Way" after watching it at the screening?

Jang Dong-Gun: Not all of them but I Heard people's Opinion Split on IT is. (Laugh) I did expect the movie to somewhat appeal only to certain tastes because it doesn't deliver any particular message or show the meaning to life. I even thought some people may not like it. My wife joked that she thought I'd had a hard time filming the action sequences but that it rather looks like I had fun dating (Kate Bosworth). (Laugh)

10: Your swordsman skills in the movie was impressive. For how long did you practice?

Jang: For Six months but Closer to Four IT's Actually Hurt Because I got midway. And I'm supposed to be Asia's best warrior but not one that displays fancy skills like actors Jet Li and Donnie Yen do in their movies. I paid more attention to making my character look more classy, even if he may swing his sword once, to show that he's someone with a lot of experience.

10: Wasn't it hard playing your part in English?

Jang: I DID have an easier Talk Time Because My Character does not just START with are to Lot. (Laugh) And I had a coach for my pronunciation but I was taught how to pronounce my words in accordance to my character being a warrior from the East, not so that I would speak in an accent that would be easy for Americans to understand. So everyday, I would practice my swordsman skills in the day and my lines in the evening. It wouldn't make sense if I couldn't pull off my lines when I've been given six months. (Laugh)

2010112510233400304_2.jpg

Scenes from "The Warrior's Way" [sK Telecom]

10: The movie was in post-production for over two years so it must feel different to watch your acting from back then.

Jang: Back then I do think I look Younger. (Laugh) But I see some things that I'm embarrassed about and where I could have done better. Of course, it's not to the extent that it feels like I'm watching a TV series I shot when I was in my twenties, but there are scenes I feel I would have played my part differently if I were given the chance to shoot it again now. Both myself and the audience have waited a long time for the movie to be released but I was told we didn't wait that long for a movie that hasn't been shot by a Hollywood studio.

10: You'll be taking your first step into Hollywood with this movie. Do you think the end-product that you see has been worth the long wait?

Jang: The movie had been Originally targeted at specific audience ares. But we couldn't do that once the movie got bigger from increased investment. It became a film which is less deep but can appeal to a wider audience. I'm not saying that's bad. (Laugh) It's just that there are some things which ended up being different from what I had originally expected. It would have been even better if the movie had a higher degree of completion but I'm satisfied with the product in general. And my character has pretty much stayed the same from who he was in the original script.

10: When you say that it was a film that a specific audience would have liked, are you saying it was supposed to me more cruel and maniac?

Jang: That's right. I thought of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's movies when I talked to the director for the first time after receiving the script for the movie. I felt that it would be extremely unique. Extremely cruel but not too dark. I think those parts have been diminished a lot.

10: Asian actors are usually seen as the ones who play roles in action movies but in "The Warrior's Way," the element of romance is just as important as the action.

Jang: In The U.S., Asian Actors are usually perceived as 'Action Actors.' I want to be seen as an actor who is not only good at the action sequences but rather as an actor who can 'also' pull off action sequences and someone who can play various types of characters. After filming the kissing scene with Kate, I heard that it's rare that an Asian actor would shoot such a scene with a mainstream Hollywood actress. So I feel that I've taken a step towards expanding the range of characters Asian actors can play.

2010112510233400304_3.jpg

Jang Dong-gun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: You must've been approached by several filmmakers in Hollywood other than this. What are some of the roles you would like to try playing in a Hollywood movie?

Jang: I've been Roles There are some that I'm Reason for declining to Speak About Then why. (Laugh) Movies where I'd take some kind of shot and suddenly turn into Superman. (Laugh) Roles I want to play ... I've realized that from a certain point on, I haven't shot a film wearing normal clothes in a city. (All laugh) So if I get to play such a role, I'm confident I'd be able to do it well.

10: You're a new actor in the US but at the height of your popularity in Korea. Even the Internet is flooded with rumors of your son who is not even six months old.

Jang: I think you suiting Popularity Enjoy Your Age. I can't expect to be popular like idol stars are at my age. (Laugh) I want to stay an actor for a long time but you need popularity to be proud about the job. Popularity is something that your fans will give you but can also take away just as easily. The support of the Korean audience is what served as the basis to me being cast for this film as well. That's why I always feel grateful to my fans. It's the same with people's interest in my child. I sometimes am stressed over the pressure and think that it's good he doesn't know about the situation he's in. But what can you do about it. Both me and my wife agree that we have to accept it to a certain extent. We'll have to control it. (Laugh)

10: Lastly, any words of advice to other Asian actors who are thinking of expanding their career into Hollywood?

Jang: Well, What I think this is advice rather than IT Being. Some people may think it's significant that I'm branching out to a market overseas but the biggest reason this movie has to do well for me is that it was made as an equal joint production - Hollywood bought a plan by Korea. Up till now, they've had Asian actors play easy roles appear in their movies to target Asian markets but I think this movie has set the environment in which we can tell the story that we want. that's the strength this system has and if this can serve as a good example, such forms of collaborations will increase.

2010112516231507316_1.jpg

2010112516203587987_1.jpg

Korean actor Jang Dong-gun poses during a photo session of a round table interview for film "The Warrior's Way" in Seoul, South Korea on November 23, 2010.

2010112516203587987_2.jpg

November 25, 2010

Actor Lee Byung-hun to appear in Japanese drama

Reporter: Heidi Kim heidikim @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010112516201572031_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun [bH Entertainment]

Popular Korean actor Lee Byung-hun will make a special appearance in a Japanese drama set to go on air next year.

According to Lee's agency BH Entertainment on Thursday, Lee will guest-star in Fuji TV's new drama "Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku (外交官?? 田 康 作)," making it the first time he will take part in a Japanese series.

"Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku," a remake of a hit Japanese movie about a diplomat who solves mysterious cases while revealing the dark side to diplomacy, will have Lee appear as an old friend of a diplomat to be played by Oda Yuji, who himself is a top actor in Japan. Lee will be a Korean-American and speak all his lines in English.

Lee on Wednesday filmed the first portion of the drama set to air every Thursday at 10 pm starting January.

BH added that Lee has been receiving requests to star in other Japanese dramas ever since hit Korean spy drama "IRIS (2009)" was broadcast in the country.

htm_20101125.jpg

Lee Byung Hun and Yuji Oda in 'Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku'

Lee, 40, made his name known throughout Asia with his numerous roles in dramas and movies. He made his Hollywood debut in 2009 with his role as Storm Shadow in film "GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra."

Lee has won many awards throughout his career, the most recent one being "Best Actor in Asia" at the Tokyo Drama Awards 2010 held at the Meiji Memorial Hall in late October.

November 26, 2010

Lee Byung Hun to Appear in Japanese Drama

Star actor Lee Byung Hun (40) will appear as a special guest actor in the Japanese drama “Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku,” in which Japanese star actor Yuji Oda, who became popular through the drama “Odoru Daisousasen.”

7595_1910_l.jpg

Lee Byung Hun’s agency, BH Entertainment, said on November 25, “The drama ‘Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku’ will begin airing from January next year on Fuji TV. Lee will appear in a Japanese drama for the first time, and his appearance was decided by Fuji TV’s ardent request.” Fuji TV said, “The character that Lee Byung Hun will play is a very important character with strong impact. He holds a key to solving the case, so we had thought that actor Lee Byung Hun, who is actively performing all around the world and who has a strong and predominant image, might be the perfect actor for the character.”

The drama “Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku,” which had already been produced as a movie with the same title and gained huge popularity before, will be about mysterious cases happening to diplomats. Its recreation as a drama has become a hot topic with the appearances of Japanese star actors such as Yuji Oda and Kou Shibasaki, and the drama will add more episodes about the past story of the protagonist Kuroda and his honest emotions as a human being, which the movie could not fully present. Lee Byung Hun will play an old friend of Kuroda who is a Korean-American, and he will speak every line only in English. Lee Byung Hun said, “I have been curious about the drama production process in Japan, and I found out that it was very similar to that of Korean dramas. I had thought that Japanese dramas have particularly unusual characters with unique jobs and peculiar personalities, and this drama is no different. This drama is not like an ordinary drama, so I am very excited.”

November 26, 2010

Bae Yong-joon starts new photograph project in Asia

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010112615031025627_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [KEYEAST]

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon will begin a new photograph project throughout Asia, according to his agency KEYEAST on Friday.

KEYEAST announced in a press release that Bae, known for calling his fans his 'family,' will begin an event titled "Family Photo Project-We're a family" where Bae will take 'family photos' with his fans, starting in Korea and into Japan and other countries in Asia.

Bae, who is known for calling his fans as 'family,' was quoted as saying in the press release, "I have always wanted to take a family picture because you need to have one when you are part of a family."

The date of which Bae will shoot his first family picture in Korea has yet to be announced.

Bae, 37, rose to mega-stardom in Korea and throughout Asia with the 2002 hit KBS TV series "Winter Sonata."

He has been actively promoting Korean culture in Asia, publishing a photo essay titled "Discovering the Beauty of Korea" last year that has been sold in Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese and Chinese as well as being made into a television documentary.

Bae is currently preparing for the first series of the "Miso Project," a philanthropy project to help the children in Cambodia and the Philippines, titled "Message! To Asia" with Kim Hyun-joong and Hwanhee.

November 27, 2010

Stars on the Red Carpet at Blue Dragon Film Awards

Source: englishnews@chosun.com 1 l 2

2010112700335_0.jpg

Winners of the Best Actor and Actress Awards pose together at the Blue Dragon Film Awards in Seoul on Friday. From left, Yun Jung-hee, Jung Jae-young and Su-ae

2010112700329_0.jpg

Kim Hye-soo (left) and Lee Bum-soo

2010112700329_1.jpg

Su-ae

2010112700329_2.jpg

Son Ye-jin

2010112700329_3.jpg

Jo Yeo-jeong

2010112700329_4.jpg

Han Hye-jin

2010112700329_5.jpg

Lee Min-jung

2010112700329_6.jpg

Park Min-young

2010112700329_7.jpg

Kim Sae-rom (left) and Won Bin

2010112700329_8.jpg

2010112700329_9.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

November 27, 2010

Jang Dong-gun Hopes to Impress U.S Moviegoers in Hollywood Debut

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

2010112700303_1.jpg

Jang Dong-gun (right) with Kate Bosworth

Jang Dong-gun's Hollywood debut "The Warrior's Way" is set to hit the theaters at home and abroad next week. The 39-year-old actor discussed his feelings about the film after a preview in Seoul on Monday.

"It was my third time acting in a foreign language following '2009 Lost Memories (2001)' in Japanese and 'The Promise (2006)' in Chinese," said Jang, who performed in English in the film. "But the language wasn't as big a challenge for me as proving myself to U.S. moviegoers to whom I'm just an unknown actor."

"The Warrior's Way" is a Korea-U.S. joint venture produced by Lee Joo-ick, who also made "A Battle of Wits (2006)" and "Late Autumn (2010)," and Barrie Osborne, a Hollywood producer famous for "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

It also stars Kate Bosworth, who played Superman's lover in "Superman Returns (2006)," and Geoffrey Rush from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series.

In the mixture of Hollywood Western and Asian martial arts film, Jang plays Yang, a warrior assassin who seeks to live an ordinary life in the U.S. Wild West, but is forced to take up his sword again in order to protect his lover. It opens in Korea on Dec. 2 and in the U.S. the following day.

2010112700303_2.jpg

November 28, 2010

Satirical thriller 'Sworn Enemy' honored

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Writer-director Jang Hoon’s satirical thriller “Sworn Enemy” on Friday took home Best Picture honors at the nation’s most prestigious film ceremony, the 31st Blue Dragon Film Awards at the National Theater of Korea in Seoul.

Headed by the duo of heartthrob Kang Dong-won and veteran Song Kang-ho, the film about an ex-North Korean field operative-turned-defector (Kang) beat out some of the year’s top-selling films. In the film, Kang portrays a North Korean operative ordered to assassinate a former high ranking officer and defector of the isolated communist state. The plan is intercepted by a glory-hunting National Intelligence Service agent (Song) and goes awry, getting both men sacked from their organizations.

The film’s win comes at a time when the nation is still reeling from the North Korean shelling of the remote island of Yeonpyeong off the western coast near the Northern Limit Line.

20101128000164_0.jpg

Kang Dong-won (left) and Song Kang-ho in a scene from “Sworn Enemy.” (Showbox)

The win also surprised many entertainment pundits as the year’s biggest box office hit “The Man from Nowhere,” featuring Korean Wave star Won Bin’s first turn in violent noir, had been projected to take the Best Picture award alongside fellow nominee “Moss,” helmed by Kang Woo-seok.

The sci-fi action-comedy “Woochi” and the reboot of 1960’s drama “The Housemaid” rounded out the rest of the nominees in the Best Picture category.

The night’s biggest sweep, however, went to “Moss,” which grabbed a total of seven awards including Best Director, Best Actor (Jung Jae-young), and Best Supporting Actor (Yu Hae-jin). In late September, “Moss” took home four prizes at the Daejong Film Awards including Best Director for Kang Woo-seok.

Writer-director Kim Ji-woon’s serial killer yarn top-billed by Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik took home a trio of prizes in technical categories for director of photography Oh Seung-chul, lighting director Park Jung-ryul and composer Lee Mo-gye.

Best Actress went to both Yoon Jung-hee for “Poetry” and Su Ae for “Night FM,” while the supporting prize went to Yoon Yeo-jeong for “The Housemaid.”

The year’s sleeper rom-com “Cyrano Agency” was recognized for its biting dialogue, taking the Best Screenplay prize.

Won Bin’s ultra-violent “The Man from Nowhere” was on the receiving end of the night’s biggest snub, winning just a sole technical award out of nine nominations.

Former culture minister and novelist-turned-filmmaker Lee Chang-dong declined to keep “Poetry” in contention in the awards ceremony with the exception of the Best Actress category in light of controversies surrounding his embattled relationship with the Korea Film Council.

The awards ceremony was hosted by actress Kim Hye-soo and actor Lee Beom-soo. Kim was visibly ecstatic when her real life beau, character actor Yu Hae-jin, won the Best Supporting actor prize for “Moss,” saying “I’m especially happy that (Yu) was honored tonight.”

November 29, 2010

"Secret Reunion" wins best picture at Blue Dragon awards

Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010112914134212070_1.jpg

Poster for film "Secret Reunion" [showbox]

Korean film "Secret Reunion" starring top actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won took the prize for best picture at this year's Blue Dragon Film Awards held last Friday.

The action drama helmed by director Jung Hun had competed against "The Man From Nowhere," "Moss," "WOOCHI" and "The Housemaid."

"Secret Reunion," about the chance reencounter of a former South Korean intelligence official and North Korean spy, was the most-watched Korean film during the first half of 2010 with over 5.4 million moviegoers.

Meanwhile, director Kang Woo-suk of "Silmido" and "No Mercy" fame took the title for best director for his film adaptation of online comic series "Moss," also the name of his pic.

Its lead actor Jung Jae-young claimed the award for best actor up against Won Bin for "The Man From Nowhere," Park Hui-soon for "A Barefoot Dream," Gang Dong-won for "Secret Reunion" and Lee Byung-hun for "I Saw the Devil."

The prize for best actress was shared by Soo Ae for "Midnight FM" and veteran actress Yoon Jeong-hee for "Poetry" after competing against nominees Kim Yun-jin for "Harmony," Seo Young-hee for "Bedevilled" and Jeon Do -yeon for "The Housemaid."

Awards

▲ Best Picture: "Secret Reunion"

▲ Best Director: Kang Woo-suk ("Moss")

▲ Most Audience: "The Man From Nowhere"

▲ Best New Director: Kim Kwang-sik ("My Dear Desperado")

▲ Best Actor: Jung Jae-young ("Moss")

▲ Best Actress: Soo Ae ("Midnight FM"), Yoon Jeong-hee ("Poetry")

▲ Best Supporting Actor: Yoo Hae-jin ("Moss")

▲ Best Supporting Actress: Yoon Yeo-jung ("The Housemaid")

▲ Best New Actor: Choi Seung-hyun ("Into the Fire")

▲ Best New Actress: Lee Min-jung ("Cyrano Agency")

▲ Best Cinematography: Lee Mo-gae ("I Saw the Devil")

▲ Best Music: Mowg ("I Saw the Devil")

▲ Best Art Direction: Lee Ha-jun ("The Housemaid")

▲ Best Screenplay: Kim Hyun-suk ("Cyrano Agency")

▲ Best Lighting: Oh Seung-chul ("I Saw the Devil")

▲ Best Technique: Park Jung-ryul ("The Man From Nowhere")

▲ Most Popular Stars: Won Bin, Choi Seung-hyun, Jo Yeo-jung, Son Ye-jin

November 29, 2010

Bae Yong Joon Takes ‘Family Photo’ with Fans

Actor Bae Yong Joon’s agency Keyeast said on November 26, “Hallyu star Bae Young Joon will take a ‘family photo’ with fans in Asian regions, and the fans who take a picture with him will be selected on a first-come basis. Bae Yong Joon, who has expressed his special love for his fans for a long time so much that he calls his fans ‘family,’ has decided to take a family photo with fans. The project to take a family photo will begin in Korea and Japan and expand all around the Asian regions.”

7596_1912_l.jpg

The project entitled ‘Family Photo Project – We Are a Family’ will receive applications through Bae Yong Joon’s official websites established in different countries, and the participation will be determined on a first-come first-served basis.

In Korea, fans can apply from November 26 until 30, and fans in Japan can apply from around the middle of December. Keyeast explained, “The number of participants will be announced later. After we decide the number of fans by each country, we will form several groups to take a ‘family photo,’ and Bae Young Joon will take photos several times by joining each group.” Bae Yong Joon delivered a message through his agency, saying, “I just wanted to have a family photo just like every family has, because I have dreamed of taking a photo together with my fans whom I regard as my own family. Then, I will make a family album which contains my family members’ faces and keep it as my treasure.”

His agency Keyeast added, “This will be a long term project with fans in the Asian region starting from Korea. We will prepare this project as a heartwarming project in which fans can spend time together with Bae Yong Joon while sharing precious time and warmth together as a family.”

In addition, Bae Yong Joon will appear in the charity event entitled “Smile Project – Message to Asia” to be held at the Tokyo Dome in Japan on December 14 along with Kim Hyun Joong and Hwan Hee.

November 29, 2010

KBS to provide multilingual subtitles for foreign viewers

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

SEOUL, Nov. 29 (Yonhap) -- National broadcaster KBS said Monday it will provide multilingual subtitles for its television programs, hoping to reach out to the growing foreign population in the country and Asia-wide fans of Korean pop entertainment.

Starting Tuesday, subtitles in English, Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese will be provided for more than 2,000 previous and ongoing KBS dramas, documentaries, and entertainment shows through the Internet or Video on Demand services, the broadcaster said in a press release.

KBS will distribute the VOD devices for free to some 100 multicultural welfare centers across the country for families and foreign migrant workers who may not have access to the Internet, it said.

KBS "expects this new service will support the settlement of foreign brides and migrant workers in Korea and contribute to the spread of the Korean Wave abroad," the broadcaster said.

More than 1.2 million foreigners currently reside in South Korea, which has a population of 50 million. The majority of foreigners are from Asian countries and reside in the country due to marriage or employment.

November 29, 2010

Music dramas take on high school, college

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Next year, the Korean drama industry goes neo-retro with two music-centric series ― “Dream High” (a working title) and “What’s Up” ― bringing the classic song-and-dance genre to the small screen.

The success of “SuperstarK” ― a reality show that is oft-described as the Korean version of “American Idol” ― signals the time is ripe for such performance-heavy dramas.

The question is: Will audiences take to the genre as a miniseries?

While “Glee,” an American television show about a glee club of teenage underdogs, became a major hit when it reeled out catchy song-and-dance numbers in 2009, it failed to make a similar impact on Korean viewers when it aired on cable channel tvN the same year.

When SBS put out “He’s Beautiful!” and “I’m Legend,” two series that centered on bands and included music performances, both failed to bring in high viewer numbers. The less-than-promising track record did not stop music mogul Park Jin-young and Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon from vesting their interests in “Dream High” or production company Zero Plus from creating a drama about aspiring musical actors with “What’s Up.”

So with two music dramas on the way, what should viewers expect?

Lots of singing and dancing ― but in different formats, according to the shows’ PR officials. Because “What’s Up” is about a group of university students majoring in musical theater, theatrically-stylized numbers ― including pieces from major musicals like “Jekyll and Hyde” ― will bring a bit of old school pizzazz to the small screen.

Meanwhile, it looks like “Dream High” is aiming for something more K-pop-heavy. According to the show’s representative, viewers will be tuning into brand new songs, freshly produced by Holym.

Holym is a joint venture formed by Park Jin-young’s JYP Entertainment and Bae Yong-joon’s agency, Keyeast, of which Bae is a major shareholder. The company will be co-producing “Dream High” with entertainment goliath CJ Media.

20101129000238_0.jpg

BIGBANG member Dae-sung draws from his musical theater experience to belt out tunes and flash a move

or two in his upcoming music-centric drama “What’s Up.” (What’s Up)

In other words, there is a good chance that Park’s expertise with churning out chart-topping singles will come in handy for producing “Dream High’s” soundtrack, and with JYPE’s idols ― four have been cast in the drama ― likely to be performing these songs onscreen, “Dream High” will probably have K-pop fans glued to their seats every Monday and Tuesday night, when the series starts airing on KBS 2 TV on Jan. 3.

Park is also acting as music-and-dance producer for the series, further expanding his influence over the sound and look of the routines, though there will be a separate music director, said the PR representative. But just because both dramas feature a lot of performances, don’t expect classic Hollywood-style numbers where characters burst into song and dance spontaneously. The performances in both “Dream High” and “What’s Up” will be presented as performances within the drama, which means no one will be “singin’ in the rain.”

In “What’s Up,” the protagonists are university students majoring in musical theater. In “Dream High” characters are high school students attending a school of arts famed for producing some of Korea’s finest stars. So for both shows, singing and dancing will be a natural part of the classroom. For “Dream High” characters will also be performing within the context of concerts. The similarities pretty much end there.

If “Dream High” has all the hallmarks of a major production backed by industry giants and fronted by an all-star line-up of K-pop stars ― including 2PM’s Taec-yeon and Woo-young, Miss A’s Suzy and T-ara’s Ham Eun-jung and more ― then “What’s Up” should feel more like a well-funded, ambitious, indie-style endeavor.

There is only one major K-pop star, Big Bang’s Dae-sung, on board.

The PR for “What’s Up” is being conducted in a trendy, get-straight-to-the-masses manner, via YouTube, where an eye-catching teaser chock full of dramatic dance scenes and a dash of melodramatic angst drew over 200,000 hits. “We’re preparing the second teaser, which will feature behind-the-scenes clips of the cast receiving training for the drama,” the drama’s PR representative said over the phone.

Furthermore, “What’s Up” also publicly held open auditions through micro-blogging service me2DAY, inviting audiences to emotionally invest in and also take a stab at starring in the drama themselves. According to a production company representative, a total of 10 finalists ― whose pictures are posted on the me2DAY audition site ― made it through.

“Dream High” also held open auditions, but only one, a b-boy, out of about 1,500 made it through ― a result that somewhat undermines the appeal of open auditions, where the masses feel more than a few could be given a fair chance at fame. But while “What’s Up” may have a huge online following through its various Internet outlets, the drama has yet to establish a timeslot and broadcasting network, leaving audiences wondering when they will finally get to see what all the hoopla is about.

According to the PR representative, plans are to get it airtime in the first half of 2011, which means that filming for the drama, which started this July, should be over by then.

With “Dream High” likely to hit audiences first, “What’s Up” may be hard-pressed to draw in ratings, once the shine of the TV musical genre has worn off. But what the drama may lack in star power and timeliness, it promises to make up for with authenticity, talent and top notch technology.

Famed “Hourglass” scriptwriter Song Ji-na will be fleshing out the characters and adding meat to the story.

The drama will be shot on a state-of-the-art Red One camera at the Chungkang College of Cultural Industries School of Musical Theater, with the college’s own musical theater students rounding out the cast to give that extra, believable “oomph” to the routines.

According to a production company representative, a tight team that includes a music director, a vocal teacher and a Chungkang College professor in charge of choreography will be putting out the song-and-dance numbers.

Furthermore, Dae-sung, who racked up musical theater experience in “Cats” and “Shouting,” will be backed by musical actors Oh Man-seok and Jo Jeong-seok. The whole setup recalls “Glee,” whose success is due in part to the synergy of choreographer Zach Woodlee and a cast filled with actors and actresses off Broadway.

Can viewers expect to see traces of “Glee” and musical films like the Disney Channel’s “High School Musical” franchise in “What’s Up”?

The production company representative said over the phone that those shows had influenced them a little. But don’t expect a tale of underdogs who find solace in song-and-dance, warned the representative; “What’s Up” has its own story to tell.

December 1, 2010

'Barefooted Youth' actor 'Twist Kim' dies

Source: (swchun@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Kim Han-sub, better known to Koreans as “Twist Kim,” who shot to fame for his dance scene in the 1960s hit movie, “Barefooted Youth,” died Tuesday. He was 74.

He was bedridden since suffering a cerebral hemorrhage when he injured his head in a fall during a Busan event in September, 2006.

Born in Busan in 1936, Kim debuted on the large screen in 1962 in a lesser known local movie. Two years later he rose to stardom with “Barefooted Youth,” where he co-starred with Shin Sung-il, one of Korea’s most famous actors.

01214452.jpg

Twist Kim

The 1964 movie struck a chord with young people living a hard life at the time. In the movie, Kim played a sworn brother to good-hearted gangster Shin, who fell in love with a daughter of a rich family only to face opposition by her mother. They then committed suicide, and Kim carried Shin’s body on a cart in the final and best known scene of the film. In the movie, Kim danced The Twist, showing it to local audiences for the first time on-screen, and earning him the nickname “Twist Kim.”

He played various roles in about 160 films until 2001, mostly as a supporting actor with a strong character. He is survived by his wife, son and daughter.

December 2, 2010

'Twist Kim' laid to rest

Source: joongangdaily.com

A legend has passed. Korean movie star Kim Han-seop, more famously known as Twist Kim, died Tuesday at Hanil General Hospital in northern Seoul. Kim had been fighting an illness that started with a cerebral hemorrhage he sustained during a performance in 2006.

Kim made his debut in the 1962 film, “The Man from Tokyo,” and is best known for his role in the movie, “The Barefooted Youth,” in 1964. Then he became an icon of the ’60s and ’70s with his signature trait of dancing the twist in trendy jeans. Kim was a triple threat - skilled at dancing, singing and acting - and was known for his witty charm.

According to the Korean Film Archive, Kim had always dreamed of becoming an actor. He wandered around a movie set one day and met filmmaker Shin Sang-ok, who helped pave Kim’s way to stardom.

The nickname, Twist Kim, also came from Shin. The film “Beautiful Shroud,” which was made in 1962, had scenes with Kim dancing the twist, which moved Shin to change the character’s name to Twist Kim.

Kim was featured in more than 160 films through early 2000.

The coffin will be borne out of Hanil Hospital funeral hall at 9 a.m. today.

December 1, 2010

Actor On Ju-wan to be discharged from military on Friday

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010120113595292863_1.jpg

Korean actor On Ju-wan [Yuleum Entertainment]

Korean actor On Ju-wan will be discharged from the military on Friday upon which he will complete South Korea's two-year mandatory military service.

"My time serving at the Ministry of National Defense was unlike any other experience that I have had and my time there was something different and very valuable," On was quoted as saying, adding that he hopes to become a better person and actor after his discharge.

"We have had many fans asking about On being discharged from the military," an official from his agency Yuleum Entertainment told 10Asia over the phone. "It won't be an official meeting but we plan on holding a small gathering that day for On to greet his fans and speak about his future plans."

On, 26, made his debut with an appearance in 2004 film "Flying Boys" and has since starred in other movies including "The Aggressives" (2005), "The City of Violence" (2006) "and" My Mighty Princess "( 2008).

He has also had roles on the small screen in SBS 'TV series "That Summer Typhoon" and season 1 of MBC's "Chosun Police."

December 2, 2010

Director of Korean film "Paju" wins award at film fest in Australia

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010120208413420233_1.jpg

Poster of Korean film "Paju" [Myung Film Co. Ltd]

Director Park Chan-ok of film "Paju" has won the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) at the 4th annual Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA).

According to the film's distributor Myung Film on Thursday, "Paju" on Monday received APSA's NETPAC Development Prize, given to emerging filmmakers in the business and to nurture new and rising talent in within the Asian region.

APSA was first established in 2007 as a cultural initiative of the Queensland State Government in Australia. The ceremony brings together cinematic excellence and cultural diversity in the Asia-Pacific region as well the only awards program to broadcast documentary series.

"Paju", which stars Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun and actress Seo Woo, is about a forbidden love between a woman and her late sister's husband.

The romantic drama, which opened in local theaters in October of last year, has won various accolades at other film festivals such as the NETPAC Award at the 14th Pusan International Film Festival, the Special Jury Prize at 13th Deauville Asian Film Festival, as well as competing at the 9th annual Tribeca Film Festival and becoming the first Korean production to open the International Film Festival Rotterdam.

Actor Lee Sun-kyun also won the award for best male actor for his role in "Paju" at Spain's Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival held in March.

Director Park Chan-ok debuted in 2002 with the award-winning "Jealousy Is My Middle Name" and "Warm Swamp."

December 2, 2010

Bae Yong-joon to make special appearance for "Dream High"

2010120209450179805_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [KEYEAST]

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon will make a guest appearance in upcoming KBS musical TV series "Dream High."

"Bae will be in the first four episodes of the show where he will play the role of Jung Ha-myung the director of the performing arts school," a PR official from Bae's agency KEYEAST told 10Asia over the phone on Thursday.

"Dream High," a 16-part mini-series about the dreams of students who attend a performing arts school with the storyline set to be relayed through song and dance, is a co-production between Korea's top entertainment firms KEYEAST and JYP Entertainment.

It will feature the musical arrangements by founder and CEO of JYPE, Park Jin-young and the planning and production done by KEYEAST's major shareholder, Bae Yong-joon.

The cast for the musical series include Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun, 2PM member Taecyeon and Wooyoung, miss A's Suzy and T-ara member Eunjung.

Filming for "Dream High" began last week and the show will air on KBS on Monday and Tuesday nights starting January next year.

Archived