[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 27, 2010

I Saw the Devil released in theaters

201008261807141003_1.jpg

After weeks of wrangling with the Korea Media Rating Board (KMDB), Kim Jee-woon thriller, I Saw the Devil was able to secure a theatrical release on August 12, after making seven cuts totaling 80 seconds of footage. The “Restricted” rating which would have effectively banned the film from theatrical release and prohibited any promotion or advertising, was reduced to an 18+ rating, allowing audiences over 18 to see the film.

The KMDB objected to scenes showing a human body being mutilated and human body parts being eaten by humans and a dog. Following a press screening August 11, it seems that director Kim preferred to remove entire scenes rather than take out individual shots – thus preserving the logic and fluidity of the whole.

The US $6 million commercial thriller, distributed locally by Showbox, is represented internationally by Korean sales agent Finecut. The film stars top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun as a secret agent who, when his fiancé is gruesomely murdered by a psychopath (played by veteran thesp Choi Min-shik), tracks him down and exacts equally gruesome and possibly equally psychotic revenge.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 28, 2010

4th Cinema Digital Seoul Film Festival

The 4th Cinema Digital Seoul Film Festival, known as CinDi, kicked off August 18 with the Korean premiere of 2010 Cannes Palme D’Or winner Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, by Thai master Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL. The seven-day festival presented 105 films from 27 countries.

The festival’s Asian competition section featured 4 prizes, three of which are worth 20,000,000 KRW (about US$16,000) and decided on by three juries of filmmakers, local film critics and international film critics. A “Butterfly Award” was awarded to a Korean film in the program by CJ Entertainment as a deposit on the director’s next project. Films in all sections were eligible for the Movie Collage Award that guarantees a theatrical release by CJ-CGV on its Movie Collage screens.

Korean feature, The 8 Sentiments screened in CinDi’s main competition program. Directed by SUNG Ji-hye, it is a drama about a male gallery curator and three women, representing past, present and future. Noted Korean films in the program include HONG Sang-soo’s HA HA HA in the Perspectives section, and 15 films by Korean directors in the Butterfly section including JEON Kyu-hwan’s Animal Town and JANG Cheol-soo’s Bedevilled.

The Digital Restoration section this year presented Farewell to the Dooman River, a 1962 feature by IM Kwon-taek, set during the Japanese colonial period along the border with Chinese Manchuria. CinDi took place at Apgujeong CGV just south of the Han River in central Seoul. The festival website is viewable at http://www.cindi.or.kr

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

The 4th CinDi Wraps up

The 4th Cinema Digital Seoul Film Festival, known as CinDi, wrapped up August 23 with an awards ceremony that saw its top prize, the Red Chameleon Award going to Chinese director Li Hongqi's Winter Vacation, an honor worth $16,700 in cash.

The fest, which opened August 18th with the Korean premiere of 2010 Cannes Palme D’Or winner Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, by Thai master Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL, ran for 7 days presenting105 films from 27 countries.

The Red Chameleon jury consisted of WEERASETHAKUL, Raya Martin, Zhang Xian Min and Korean actress Moon Sori. A jury of international film critics gave out the second place Blue Chameleon Award to Japanese film Miyoko by Yoshifumi Tsubota, while Korean critics and journalists handed out a third prize Green Chameleon to China’s Piercing I directed by Liu Jian.

In addition, the fest’s chief sponsor, Korean studio CJ Entertainment handed out three “Butterfly Awards” to Korean rookie directors JANG Cheol-soo of Bedevilled, Ham Kyoung Rock of Elbowroom, and RYU Seong-kyu of the short film Monster, giving them each the chance to have their next project developed by the major Korean studio.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

August 28, 2010

Kim A-joong to Star in U.S.-Chinese Film

2010082800197_0.jpg

Kim A-joong

Actress Kim A-joong has been cast in a leading role in a W20-billion joint U.S.-Chinese film project (US$1=W1,197).

Kim's management agency Yedang Entertainment announced on Saturday that she will appear in the film "Amazing," about the development of a virtual-reality basketball game. Kim will play the love interest of Chinese actor Huang Xiaoming in the sports adventure movie, which is also expected to feature NBA stars such as Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Magic Johnson and Yao Ming.

Sherwood Xuehua Hu, who won the best film and best director awards at the 2008 Calabria International Film Festival for "Prince of the Himalayas," will direct the film. "Kim is a very popular actress not only in Korea but across Asia," said a spokesperson for the film. "It will be a great opportunity for her to launch her career globally."

Shooting started in China on Aug. 15, and "Amazing" is scheduled to hit theaters in China and the U.S. in the first half of next year.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 30, 2010

Kang Hye-jung, Lee Yoon-ji to Share Stage Role in 'Proof'

Actresses Kang Hye-jung and Lee Yoon-ji will make their stage debut with the play "Proof" in which they are double-cast for the lead.

Kang, who is known for her parts in films "Old Boy" and "Welcome to Dongmakgol," chose this play to make a comeback after her marriage to singer Tablo and childbirth. Lee has mostly worked in TV soaps.

2010083000272_0.jpg

Kang Hye-jung (left) and Lee Yoon-ji

"Proof," a drama about a brilliant but disturbed mathematician and his daughter, premiered in the U.S. in 2001 and won the Tony Award for Best Play the same year. It was made into a film starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins.

The play opens at the Culture Space and You in Seoul on Oct. 1.

August 30, 2010

Kim Hyun Joong: 'I Am Trying to Be Cynical'

"I have too placid of a temper, so I am trying to be cynical.” -Kim Hyun Joong

Kim Hyun Joong, who became a star actor by appearing in the drama “Boys Over Flowers,” will make a comeback to the small screen by appearing in KBS’s new Wednesday and Thursday drama “Mischievous Kiss" (written by Ko Eun Nim, directed by Hwang In Roi and Kim Do Hyung). The drama is about a genius but cynical male protagonist named Paek Seung Jo, who has an IQ of 200 and meets an impatient troublemaking female protagonist named Oh Ha Ni (Jung So Min). They will present a pleasant and cheerful love story in the drama.

7494_1569_l.jpg

Kim Hyun Joong had played Yoon Hi Hoo in “Boy Over Flowers,” and he made a comeback after a one year and six month break after finishing “Boy Over Flowers.” He explained about the character Paek Seung Jo, whom he will play, by saying, “The character is a mixture of Koo Joon Pyo and Yoon Ji Hoo in ‘Boys Over Flowers.’”

In the production presentation held in the Imperial Palace Hotel in Nonhyundong on August 26, Kim said, ”He has a warm heart inside, but he becomes a cynical person because he cannot express his genuinely warm temperament. I am trying to act as cynical as possible, but the director wants me to act more cynically, so I am studying how I can become more cynical.”

7494_1570_l.jpg

The production company Group Eight explained Paek Seung Jo is an “entirely different kind of genius,” who can read 20,000 letters and memorize 400 words in a single minute. Kim Hyung Joong said with a smile, “Honestly, it is very difficult to play a character with an IQ of 200. I am actually speaking lines of some totally new vocabulary that I have never known so far, and the words such as 'equation' and 'log' appear in the script, so it is like studying again in high school.”

About the question regarding his somewhat delayed comeback to acting after “Boys Over Flowers,” Kim answered, “I had performed very hard as a singer so far by releasing an album.” He added, “Before taking this role, I was worried about how I can play a high school student because I am already 25 years old. But I had been informed that the production director Hwang In Roi would direct this drama, so I applied to have an audition and earned the role of a high school student. While acting, I am trying to speak as aggressively as possible. I sometimes have to shout and show a disheveled appearance in the drama, so I might be able to present more interesting acting than I did in ‘Boys Over Flowers.’”

7494_1571_l.jpg

Kim Hyun Joong, who belongs to the group SS501, had been caught up in controversy over his acting ability due to his rather inaccurate pronunciation. He said, “I am practicing speaking while biting a cork stopper to create more accurate pronunciation. I still feel ashamed when people call me an actor. I am acting as an actor, but it is still more natural for me to stand on the stage as a singer. As I am trying very hard to acquire qualifications to become a real actor, I think that I might be able to say confidently that I am an actor someday in the future. I will be happy if I can hear people’s evaluation saying, ‘He put more effort on acting in this drama than when he appeared in ‘Boys Over Flowers.’”

Kim Hyun Joong had signed an agency contract with Keyeast, in which star Hallyu actor Bae Young Joon is the largest shareholder, last June when his next appearance in a drama had not yet been decided. Kim explained, “I moved to the new agency because I thought that I could get a lot of help for my further activities both as a singer and an actor. I mostly talk about personal matters in conversations with Bae Yong Joon, and I am learning many things about self-management from him.”

7494_1572_l.jpg

Kim Hyun Joong also candidly said, “I actually feel pressured because the drama ‘Mischievous Kiss’ is my first TV appearance after the hit ‘Boys Over Flowers.’ If I say that I have no pressure about the viewer ratings, it would be a lie. It is the same as the activities as a singer. For singers, the second album is more important than the first album, and I think that acting is the exactly the same because the second work is more important than the first work. So, I am trying my best to show a better performance. I know that the competing drama ‘Bread, Love, and Dreams,’ which airs on the different broadcasting station, has high viewer ratings, but I want you to watch my drama because it will be much more exciting and interesting.”

Source: KBS Global

August 29, 2010 Kim Hyun-joong eager to prove worth as actor koreaherald.com

August 30, 2010

No 'Baker King, Kim Tak-gu' probable due to strike

tp_01.jpg

The labor union of Korea's broadcasting staffs, actors, singers, and artists announced late on Sunday that they will "refuse to participate in any of the 13 outsourced shoots indefinitely until the major broadcasting companies resolve unpaid wage problems and guarantee that there won't be any relapse of the situation. "

The boycott decision was made on Aug. 27 in an emergency meeting of board of representatives. The body will hold a press conference on Sept. 1 to release all schedules they're firmly rejecting to participate.

According to the press release, all subcontracted dramas and shows are to take hiatus until the wage issue is resolved. Consequently, viewers inevitably have to go for weeks without KBS 2TV's popular soap opera "Baker King, Kim Tak-gu," SBS '"Giant," "I Am Legend," and MBC's "Gloria," and "Kim Su-ro. "

"Though some shows don't have payment issues, the possibility of cases like this occurring in the future is very likely. Unless the companies come up with systematic regulations we can agree on, we will continue our boycotts, "said the press release.

Broadcasters have failed to pay an estimated 4,368 million won in wages to the actors, singers, comedians and others as of July 31.

"Though we've tried our best to solve payment problems during the last two years, it was of no avail. Rather, companies and subcontractors have taken advantage of us instead, "said Kim Eung-suk, chairman of the association.

The labor union said that it is willing to continue on with their fight to straighten the abuse of subcontracting systems. At the same time, they are also willing to open themselves up for negotiations and communications anytime, according to the labor union.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Union workers threaten to walk off TV show sets

Korea Artist Union for Broadcasting, Film and Performances will “refuse to work” for 13 television dramas that are currently airing, unless the three major broadcasters ― KBS, MBC and SBS ― settle an outstanding balance of over 4 billion won from the last two years.

Moon Je-kap, a union official, said more than 400 actors and actresses who have been working for TV shows that are produced by outside companies for major public broadcast corporations haven’t been paid their wages since 2008. “Aside from actors, there is an unestimated number of unpaid staff workers such as make-up artists and sound engineers,” Moon told The Korea Herald. “These people can’t even speak up because they are afraid that they will lose their job once they do.”

20100830000941_0.jpg

Yoon Si-yoon stars in “Bread, Love and Dreams,” a hit KBS drama which may be affected

by the Korea Artist Union’s plan to stop working for the country’s three broadcasters

starting Sept. 1. Courtesy of KBS

Last month, the union concluded that nearly 4.37 billion won needed to be paid by the three broadcast corporations for 2 years of unpaid work.

Moon, however, said this is not a strike. “We will be going to work,” he said. “We just won’t act. We are not asking for a raise. We are asking for the money we deserve. Everything we do is legal.”

The 13 TV drama shows that may be affected by the union’s action include the KBS hit “Bread, Love and Dreams” and MBC’s “Gloria.” The union plans to hold a press conference on Wednesday.

By Claire Lee (clairelee@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 30, 2010

Will 'Naughty Kiss' create magic?

By Han Sang-hee

A catchy storyline, plus likable characters, is a must for dramas. And this is probably why some are made into various versions in different countries, particularly in Asia. But to be successful they need a little more to create a stir among the smart and somewhat ruthless viewers today.

Following the comic-drama “Boys Over Flowers” (2009, KBS), which was remade in Japan, Taiwan and Korea, a new comic adaptation, “Naughty Kiss,” is awaiting its first airing next month, with hopes that it will attract viewers and also surpass its Japanese and Taiwanese versions.

“Naughty Kiss” first appeared as a comic series from 1990 to 1999 by Japanese cartoonist Kaoru Tada’s “Itazura na Kiss” and was made into a television drama in 1996 and also a cartoon in 2008. The popular series was later remade into a television soap in Taiwan in 2005. And now it awaits its Korean remake with a star-studded cast this September.

The show brings two doll-faced characters back to the small screen: young stars Kim Hyun-joong and Jung So-min.

Kim will play the arrogant yet smart and athletic Baek Seung-jo, while Jung will appear as the heroine Oh Honey. Oh falls for Baek, who has better things to do than fooling around with an average classmate, but when he finds out that she is going to live with him and his family for a while, he feels a change in his emotions.

The Korean version faces fierce competition as the two previous versions were immensely popular among fans around Asia. Despite the pressure, producer Hwang In-roe was confident that the actors and his team will bring yet another successful comic-turned-drama, something he is already famous for. “I tried hard to bring out the humorous parts of the original. But I still understood the need of a young couple heading toward a happy ending, so we’ll see what the two will bring throughout the drama,” he said at a press conference for the series last Thursday.

Dramas based on comics have been quite popular here, such as “Full House” (2004, KBS), “Princess Hours,” (2006, MBC) “Sikgaek” (2008, SBS) and “Boys Over Flowers,” and it seems “Naughty Kiss” has what it takes to relive those glory days. It has fresh-faced characters, a confident producer who already has a history of success in this genre such as “Princess Hours” and “Moon River,” and an attractive storyline that has been proven overseas.

The drama, despite its potential, still faces some hurdles before it first airs next month.

Kim may have proven his charms as the good-looking and warmhearted high school senior in his previous work “Boys Over Flowers” last year, but his supporting role doesn’t mean he will nail the main role, as well. While his character in the previous drama was mellow and required no dramatic scenes, he will have to turn it up a notch to pull off the arrogant and cocky Baek. The heroine Jung is no different in terms of experience. Her experience is quite limited: she appeared in this year’s hit drama “Bad Boy.”

Being aired during the primetime slot will also be a challenge for “Kiss.” MBC has not produced any impressive soaps in its Wednesday and Thursday time slot since 2009, including “Moon River,” “Cinderella Man,” “Triple,” “No Limit” and “Hero,” and now all eyes are on the star-studded series. Not to mention the burden of competition on the other networks. KBS’ “Bread, Love and Dreams” is currently leading viewers’ ratings with a whopping 40 percent, while “My girlfriend is Gumiho” (SBS) is following with 10 percent.

“Kiss” is heading down tough roads, for it will have to catch up with the two dramas without any support from its predecessor “Road No. 1,” which is struggling with only 5 percent of the ratings.

Everything seems to be in place: the determined and good-looking actors, a confident producer and staff and a delightful storyline. But will these be enough to create TV magic? Viewers will have to wait and see at 9:55 p.m.on Sept. 1 on MBC.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

August 31, 2010

Seoul recruits 36 new film producers

seoul_new.jpg

Seoul city will recruit a second group of 36 movie producers who will move in to the "Producer's Zone" at DMC Hi-Tech Industry Center in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu. It was built to encourage original ideas for the improvement of Korean cinema.

Currently, first group of 40 producers are working in "Producer's Zone" and another 18 film directors in the "Director's Zone," both of which are designated the "filmmakers' creative area" by Seoul City.

Among the promising residents are producer Kim Young-min, who worked on "Hello! Murder," recently released, Kim Sang-geun filming "A Better Tomorrow" to be screened in September, and Kim Bok-geun working on "Delighted? Delighted!" which is also to be released in the same month.

The newly recruited will reside in the zone for one year at a sweet deal- a minimum expense of 250,000 won a month, starting Nov. 1. The producers are provided with a personal working office, seminar rooms, business rooms, and public working space. Also, the center can financially support producers with opening classes, pitching new movie ideas, and shooting Seoul-based films. All this process can be more effectively done through communications between them and their neighbor directors.

Application are accepted through Sept. 17 and there is no limit on applicants. Application and related documents can be mailed or submitted to office in person. Those who are planning films with an effect of space-marketing of Seoul will be preferred.

Further information and applications are available at (http://board.seoulfc.or.kr/index.asp). The office is located on 2nd floor of Insung Building, Chungmuro 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul. Results will be notified on Oct. 14 but could be delayed due to certain circumstances.

Source: kwh8121@koreatimes.co.kr

August 31, 2010

Rain says he was investor, not majority share holder

After months of being charged and accused of fraud and embezzlement, singer Rain has finally responded with what looks on the surface to be a thinly veiled ruse to cut all ties from J. Tune Entertainment -- the company he had formed after leaving JYPE Entertainment in 2007.

Rain revealed in a recent interview with Money Today -- a local business daily -- his involvement with the company had strictly been as an investor and not the company’s head despite his role as a majority shareholder. In response to months of charges hurled at him by former investors of his entertainment company, Rain’s response is seen by many industry pundits as the singer pulling the "babe in the woods" act in playing dumb.

20100831000694_0.jpg

Rain (Lee Sang-sub/The Korea Herald)

"Becoming a majority stock holder was not something I wanted. I was simply an investor in the company," Rain said in the interview. "I don’t know much about the profit structure of a business venture."

Investors are saying his latest response is just a "sly excuse" in what was essentially a "hit and run" job where he pocketed large sums of money far greater than the total revenue the financially-strapped company has generated in the three years it has been in business.

According to investors, Rain initially received an estimated 15 billion won when he had signed the contract to act as the head of the company in 2007. "As expected, he’s just making excuses without taking responsibility of how his actions affected us financially," one of the company’s investors told a sports daily Tuesday.

"(Rain) failed to mention parts of his involvement with the company that would clearly put him at a disadvantage. He has even failed to gather the neccessary documents for the lawsuit he’s been slapped with that would exonerate him from these charges."

The entertainment management and contents company was started up on the back of heavy capital from investors keen on taking advantage of the 30-year old’s rising celebrity as an international star. But when the company failed to become a profitable venture -- which included his now defunct clothing line J. Tune Creative -- during the first three years as a publicly-listed stock company, Rain sold off his majority stake, cutting loose from his involvement which had caused the free-fall of the company’s already diminishing stock value.

Since then, investors have filed a law suit against the singer-actor on charges of embezzlement and fraud.

On why he had failed to release an official statement when the charges had been made earlier in the year, Rain said he was busy filming his latest television series which is scheduled to air at the end of September on KBS2.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 31, 2010

Chungmuro film fest opens amid muddle

By Lee Hyo-won

Chunmuro_01.jpg

Kim Kap-eui, deputy chairman of the Chungmuro

International Film Festival in Seoul (CHIFFS),

speaks to reporters on Aug. 27 at the Press Center

in central Seoul. The fourth edition of the event

opens Thursday despite controversy regarding its budget.

The fourth edition of the Chungmuro International Film Festival in Seoul (CHIFFS) kicks off Thursday — amid lingering concerns among both organizers and onlookers.

Through Sept. 10 it will screen 115 works from 30 countries — roughly half the number of works that were shown last year (236 films) and minus the competition session. As much as the festival’s budget was chopped down to 1.5 billion won — a quarter of last year's — most of the sideline events and the invitation of foreign guests including judges have been called off.

“It is true that we were on the verge of being unable to hold this year’s edition of the festival. Some within the organizing committee even suggested taking a break this year. But it is absurd for a festival to cancel because of a small budget,” Kim Kap-eui, the festival’s deputy chairman, told reporters last Friday at the Seoul Press Center. Other reasons he cited for pushing on with the schedule included the need to maintain relations with foreign cineastes and fear of further muddling conditions for future editions.

Chunmuro_02.jpg

Actors Yoo Seung-ho, left, and Kim Min-jung

on the poster for the 4th CHIFFS. The two

were named honorary ambassadors in Seoul, Monday. / Courtesy of CHIFFS

The press conference was rather underwhelming to say the least: The venue was packed with reporters curious to know how the festival was coping without Seoul City’s funding, but there was rather limited information — or rather lack of those that could provide information. Park Hyung-sang, head of Jung-gu Office and chairman of the festival, festival director Kim Soo-yong and deputy director Zeong Cho-sin did not attend the session, nor did the festival’s honorary ambassadors popular actors Kim Min-jeong and Yoo Seung-ho.

Organizers said that absence of the chairman and co-chairman are gestures of their wish to resign. Chairman Park was recently detained for violating the Election Law.

Last year the festival operated on 60 billion won including 30 billion from Seoul City and 1 billion from Jung-gu Office. The deputy chairman said that the discontinued support from Seoul City was, however, not the main reason the festival faced cancellation. “We must question whether the Pusan (Busan) International Film Festival and other big film events are overdrawing on their financial plans. CHIFFS plans to cut back our spending and work on building substance,” said Kim.

Meanwhile, despite the film festival’s claim to be an “international” event, its English website has yet to be updated, with the latest being the announcement of finalists for the now scrapped competition session. A notice says that it received 1,170 submissions from 66 countries, a record number. But what matters most is quality, rather than quantity.

CHIFFS will be held through Sept. 10 at the National Theater of Korea and other venues around Myeong-dong and Chungmuro. Visit www.chiffs.or.kr (Korean and English).

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

2010083100362_0.jpg

Actors Yoo Seung-ho (left) and Kim Min-joung pose after being appointed promotional ambassadors for the 2010 Chungmuro International Film Festival in Seoul on Monday. /Newsis

Chungmuro International Film Fest to Open Despite Smaller Budget

The annual Chungmuro International Film Festival in Seoul (CHIFFS) kicks off on Thursday, although smaller in size than last year.

Now in its fourth year, the CHIFFS is suffering from a huge financial shortcoming as the Seoul Metropolitan Government, which put in W3 billion (US$1=W1,193) in 2009, decided not to fund the festival at all this year.

The entire budget for this year's festival is around W1.5 billion, only a quarter of last year's W6 billion. As a result the organizing committee has scrapped the official competition and a variety other events and canceled the invitation of many overseas guests.

A total of 115 films from 30 countries will be screened in nine categories, compared to 250 films from 45 countries last year. For more information, visit the festival's website at www.chiffs.kr.

September 1, 2010

Will ‘Athena’ Exceeds Popularity of ‘IRIS’?

The spy-action drama “IRIS Season 2 - Athena: Goddess of War,” in which actor Jung Woo sung and actress Soo Ae will appear as the male and female protagonists, will be broadcast from this coming winter in December on SBS. The drama is a spin-off of the original “IRIS” drama and it is based on the original story of the KBS drama “IRIS,“ which had aired last year on KBS. “Athena: Goddess of War” is very similar to the original “IRIS” as the production company Taewon Entertainment, which had produced “IRIS,” will also produce this drama, and it has been equipped with an all-star cast and large-scale action and melodramatic storyline. But the backdrop of the drama has been expanded from the Korean peninsula and Asian countries into the whole world, and the relationships among cast members have become more complicated.

7496_1576_l.jpg

“Athena: Goddess of War” will depict espionage activities of members of the National anti-Terror Service (NTS), the same organization in “IRIS,” fighting against the secret organization named “Athena” concerning the new energy source “TWR.” The drama has become a hot topic as actors who used to appear in movies, such as Jung Woo Sung, Cha Seung Won, and Soo Ae, have been cast as the main protagonists, and it already has begun filming from last June in six different countries including Italy and Japan.

In the preview, which was released in the showcase event held at the Garden stage in Lotte World on August 30, the scenes depicting an explosion and gunfight, which reminded viewers of action movies, filmed in Italy were unveiled to the viewers.

Actor Jung Woo Sung will make a comeback to the small screen after a fifteen-year break since his dramas “1.5” and “Asphalt Man” in 1995. He will play the elite special agent named Lee Jung Woo who will confront the huge shadowy conspiracy. Jung Woo has been transferred from the National Intelligence Service to the NTS, which is the special organization preventing any crisis with international undertakings, as he had been recognized for his excellent strategic performance during his work. At NTS, he meets his former colleague Yoon Hye In (Soo Ae), whom he once loved, and becomes confused after finding out that Hye In had been involved in a secret organization within NTS. In the showcase, Jung Woo Sung said, “In this drama, I have to present both a love story and an action performance. While I had been searching for my next work, I had been informed that this drama was under planning, so I willingly decided to appear in this drama because I thought that it would be a good opportunity to participate in producing a good drama.”

7496_1577_l.jpg

Actor Cha Seung Won will play the heartless character Sohn Hyuk, the head of the branch office of the United States Department of Homeland Security in East Asia, and he also leads the secret organization “Athena,” and confronts Jung Woo Sung in the drama. Cha Seung Won said, “The role that I play is a so-called villain who forms an alignment with a third force to hatch a wicked plot. But as the story of the drama develops, the character will be changed dramatically. This drama is a spy action drama like “IRIS,” but it will contain more various scenes to enjoy watching and it will present a more complicated storyline with various characters. It is not just a simple spy action drama, but a more interesting and exciting spy action drama.”

Actress Soo Ae has shown her pure and graceful beauty so far, will this time transform into a cold-blooded spy. The character whom she will play is a double agent, Yoon Hye In, who belongs to the National anti-Terror Service (NTS) as a profiler and also takes a role within a secret organization as a special agent. She is a character who locks a secret away in her mind. Soo Ae said, “I really enjoyed watching ‘IRIS.’ I had confidence in performing action scenes, and I received the casting request at an appropriate time.”

7496_1578_l.jpg

Actress Lee Ji Ah will play a special agent, Han Jae Hee, who is a colleague of Yoon Hye In. She hides her feelings of love towards Jung Woo, and has to have an inevitable confrontation with Yoon Hye In. Lee explained about the character, whom she will play, by saying, “She is a very rational and thorough person when performing her work, but at the same time, she is very honest in expressing her love.” She added, “I worry, as I heard that my action looked too bloody and spiteful, but actually I had taken much care about performing action scenes not to receive an evaluation saying female actor’s action scenes look too weak.”

Actor Kim Min Jong, who will play a former North Korean intelligence agent coming from a rich labor party named Kim Ki Soo, said, “Kim Ki Soo is a very freewheeling character with manly charms and charisma. There was no indication about a North Korean dialect on the script, but I tried to express the language of a North Korean defector while acting.”

Choi Si Won, a member of the idol group Super Junior, will play a rookie NTS agent named Kim Joon Ho. Choi said, “At first, I was very nervous due to pressure, but as other senior actors are taking care of me as if I am their real nephew, I am filming the drama with no more pressure. Other members of Super Junior are very envious of me about acting together with great senior actors.” He was smiling while making his comments.

In addition, singer BoA and actress Lee Bo Young will appear in “Athena: Goddess of War” as guest stars.

A spokesperson for Taewon Entertainment said, “The story is based on the war on energy, which is not an absurd story, but can happen in the real world. We will attract viewers’ eyes with a solid story line reflecting world policy and a grand scale.”

7496_1579_l.jpg

Source: KBS Global

2010090100331_0.jpg

Suae smiles at a showcase for her new TV drama "Athena: Goddess of War" in Seoul on Tuesday.

2010090100331_1.jpg

Jung Woo-sung (left) and Suae

2010090100331_2.jpg

September 1, 2010

Refitting Korean dramas for U.S. TV

For what may be a first in Korean drama history, viewers in America could soon be tuning into a remake of KBS’ detective-crime series, “Resurrection.”

“We’re looking for opportunities to take KBS content and find American broadcasters to create American versions,” Kapital Entertainment CEO Aaron Kaplan told The Korea Herald on Tuesday in Seoul.

The production company signed a deal with the Korean broadcasting network, optioning the rights to two KBS dramas, “Resurrection” (2005) and “Lucifer” (2007), for the purposes of transforming them into television shows that will cater to an American audience.

This is big news for Korean television dramas, because if Kapital succeeds in producing and selling these remakes to a U.S. network, “it will be a first,” said Sung Tae-ho, KBS Content Business Office senior manager. Indeed, while a remake of KBS’ “Lucifer” aired on TBS in Japan, no such remake has aired via an American network. This also holds true for fellow broadcasting networks SBS and MBC.

Remakes of Korean films, however, are not new to the entertainment industry. In 2008, Jun Ji-hyun’s hit flick “My Sassy Girl” (2001) got a Hollywood makeover, as did her earlier film, “Il Mare” (2000), in 2006. The “Il Mare” remake, titled “The Lake House,” which starred Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves failed to draw stellar box office figures in the States. “My Sassy Girl” went straight to DVD in America.

Fortunately, with Kaplan at the helm, both “Resurrection” and “Lucifer” may have more success.

As former worldwide head of scripted television and packaging at the William Morris Agency (now known as William Morris Endeavor Entertainment), Kaplan is an industry veteran. “In 14 months, (Kapital) has sold 30 shows,” said Kaplan

One of them is Steven Spielberg’s prehistoric time travel fantasy, “Terra Nova,” set to air on Fox next year. With such an impressive project on his plate, why does Kaplan have his eyes set on Korea?

“I’ve been fascinated by the Korean market,” he said. “I think Korea is an epicenter for all that can work in Asia.”

20100901000808_0.jpg

KBS’ “Resurrection” is the first drama that Kapital Entertainment is working on remaking for American viewers. (KBS)

After an initial pitch from Global Creative Content producer Won Lee, Kapital and the Korean network reached an agreement. First up on the list is “Resurrection,” which, Kapital producer John Fitzpatrick said, “is the first title that really got our attention.”

“Resurrection,” which aired on KBS 2 TV in 2005, derives its impetus from the murder of the protagonist’s twin brother. The protagonist, a detective that was played by actor Uhm Tae-woong, assumes his twin brother’s identity in order to exact revenge. “Lucifer,” yet another series featuring Uhm that aired on KBS 2 TV in 2007, runs along a similar vein.

Uhm plays a detective yet again, one who was involved in an accidental murder. He discovers that people are being killed in what appears to be an act of revenge in regards to that incident. Enlisting the help of a psychic (played by Shin Min-a), the detective tracks the murderer down.

Despite the fact that neither series garnered high viewer ratings here, Kaplan thinks that the genre is spot-on for the U.S. market. “Crime dramas work very well in America,” he said. Kaplan agrees that some tweaking is needed to make “Resurrection,” which he will be working on first, attractive to American audiences. He feels that the uptake is slow in the initial episodes of the original and plans to speed things up to lock in audiences right away.

Kaplan hopes to find the remake a network partner and go into production for its first season this time next year. “We’re looking to sell immediately,” Kaplan said. “As we speak the content is out to various high level writers, directors and creators in America with the intention of developing it now.”

Global Creative Content producer Won Lee explained the process. Basically, Kapital will reach out to “top-tier writers in Hollywood,” who will rewrite “Resurrection,” tailor it to American viewers, and pitch it back to Kapital. Kapital will pick one and shop it to broadcasting networks. If all works out, a network will buy a pilot or a set number of episodes.

What makes Kaplan and team think “Resurrection” and “Lucifer” have a fighting chance?

“We felt that these shows were unique,” Kaplan said.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)koreaherald.com

September 1, 2010

Korea’s TV content needs more work to enter Western market

While Korean dramas and visual content are enjoying popularity in the Asian market, their faces and places are still not familiar to the U.S. and European markets and Korean content providers should keep that in mind, experts said Wednesday.

Their comments came at the 10th anniversary event of Broadcast World Wide, Asia’s largest trade fair for broadcasting and visual content, which runs through Friday at COEX, Samseong-dong, in southern Seoul. About 1,200 buyers are in Seoul to look at Korean broadcast content presented by not only big broadcasters like MBC, KBS and SBS but also cable TV stations and content manufacturers like Samhwa Networks . The BCWW was held alongside the International Trade Show for Content.

“You see a little bit of penetration of Korean dramas in the U.S market as dialogue is increasing between Korea and America in terms of ideas, talents and concepts,” Edwin Chung, senior vice president of NBC Universal TV, told The Korea Herald.

20100901000813_0.jpg

(From left) Rep. Jung Byung-guk, actor Yoon Si-yoon, actress Jun In-hwa, actress Lee Young-ah

and Vice Culture Minister Park Sunkyu celebrate the 10th anniversary of the BCWW at COEX

in southern Seoul on Wednesday. (The Korea Creative Content Agency)

“But because of language, social and cultural barriers, and the lack of familiarity of faces and places, that type of cross over will take some time. But as long as content is strong, Korean dramas can sell well,” he said.

Arjen van Mierlo, CEO of Asian Operations of Endemol Asia, shared Chung’s view that Korean content should meet the international needs. Endemol, an international production and distribution company based in the Netherlands, is well-known among industry insiders for selling its unique format to KBS 2 to produce the popular quiz show, “1 vs 100.”

Mierlo was participating in the BCWW as both a buyer and a seller. He said he was most interested in Korean dramas but also in the use of new technologies for mobile TV, Web TV and 3-D TV. When it comes to 3-D TV, Mierlo said he saw a great potential in the 3-D TV market but that it will take some time for content providers to lower 3-D production cost and for consumers to purchase 3-D TV sets.

Chung shared the view. “It’s going to take a while for mainstream shows to start incorporating 3-D. But we’re at the exploratory stages … in time, audiences will get accustomed to 3-D technology,” Chung said.

Japanese buyer, Contentbase general manager Sunny Kim, said she came to Seoul to buy Korean variety shows that feature K-pop stars, as Korean girl groups have gained huge popularity in Japan. Kayo Fukuda, senior chief manager of international sales at NHK Enterprises, said the Japanese have set Korean dramas as their role model to penetrate the Asian market.

At the BCWW, KBS drama “Bread, Love and Dreams,” which is hitting 40 percent viewer’s rating in Korea, was sold to six countries in Asia. MBC dramas including “Gloria” and SBS “I’m Legend” are also expected to sign a deal with overseas buyers during the event, officials said.

The Korea Creative Content Agency expects content contracts among the 50 participating countries at the BCWW to reach some 30 billion won ($25 million).

By Kim Yoon-mi (yoonmi@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

September 2, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong to endorse THEFACESHOP

Reporter: Jessica Kim

2010090216020775905_1.jpg

Korean actor and singer Kim Hyun-joong [KEYEAST]

Singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong has become the new face of Korean cosmetics brand THEFACESHOP, according to Kim's agency KEYEAST on Thursday.

KEYEAST announced through a press release that the 24-year-old heartthrob will endorse THEFACESHOP both domestically and internationally starting September through television commercials.

"Kim's refreshing yet elegant image fits well with the concept of 'natural elegance' that our brand is pushing for following its growth as a global brand," an official from THEFACESHOP was quoted as saying in their reason for signing with Kim.

THEFACESHOP is currently the No. 1 Korean-made cosmetics brand which has been exported to 18 countries across the world.

Kim, who debuted as a member of K-pop band SS501 in 2005, has been popular throughout Asia as the leader and main vocalist of his five-man group but shot to stardom in the region after starring in last year's smash hit TV series " Boys Over Flowers. "

He recently newly signed with Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon's KEYEAST, after his group's contract with their former agency DSP Media expired in early June, and is starring in new MBC drama "Naughty Kiss," the Korean small screen adaptation of Japanese comic series " Itazura na Kiss, "which premiered yesterday.

Reporter: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

September 2, 2010

Song Seung-heon says wants to dine with Girls' Generation and Kara

Kang Geyong-rok Editor: Jessica Kim

2010090217052794483_3.jpg

Actor Song Seung-heon speaks during a showcase for film "The Invincible"

held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Korean heartthrob Song Seung-heon has said that amongst Korean girl groups, he would like to dine with Girls' Generation, Kara, After School and f(x).

Song made the remark during a showcase celebrating the premiere of his film "The Invincible" on Monday while taking part in a o/x quiz session alongside other cast members Joo Jin-mo, Kim Kang-woo and Jo Han-sun.

In a separate question and answer session, the 33-year-old actor picked the hardest moments in shooting the film as being in the order of "the wait, my character from three years after, and the action scenes." "Director Song Hae-seoh puts in a lot of effort into each cut in each scene so I ended up waiting for up to 15 hours for a single scene, I stopped filming for almost 20 days to portray my character Young-choon from three years later to practice smoking after having had a hard time quitting, and I was told to act out dangerous action scenes," the actor explained.

"The Invincible," a Korean remake of the Hong Kong classic "A Better Tomorrow," is set for a release on September 16 and has been officially invited to the 67th Venice International Film Festival.

Song has been one of Korea's hottest male actors since appearing in popular sitcom "Three Guys and Three Girls" (MBC, 1996) and has since starred in many television dramas and films including the smash hits "Autumn Tale" (KBS2, 2000), "Summer Scent" (KBS2, 2003) and "East of Eden" (MBC, 2008). He is also set to make a comeback to the small screen later this year through TV series "My Princess" opposite top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee.

Reporter: Kang Geyong-rok rock@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010090217050490628_2.jpg

Actor Song Seung-heon holds up a gift he has received from a fan during a showcase for film "The Invincible" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090217034382121_2.jpg

From left, actors Song Seung-heon and Kim Kang-woo clap their hands during a showcase for film "The Invincible" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090217021477427_2.jpg

From left, actors Joo Jin-mo, Song Seung-heon, Kim Kang-woo and Jo Han-sun pose during a photocall of a showcase for film "The Invincible" held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 30 , 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

September 2, 2010

Bae Soo-bin's career in Japan receives another boost

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010090214520786221_1.jpg

Korean actor Bae Soo-bin [bH Entertainment]

Another Korean drama starring actor Bae Soo-bin, after “Brilliant Legacy” and “Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown,” is set to show in Japan, indicating that Bae's acting career in Japan may be making headway.

BH Entertainment announced in a press release that TV series “Temptation of an Angel,” will begin its run on Japanese cable channel ESEI GEKIJO starting November, while also noting that other works by the actor have been faring well with the audience in Japan.

"Bae Soo-bin has been receiving favorable reviews from the audience in Japan after the premiere of 'Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown' on KNTV in July and his other shows including 'Temptation of an Angel' and 'Brilliant Legacy,'" explained an official from ESEI GEKIJO after visiting Korea to interview the actor

“Brilliant Legacy,” starring Korean actors Lee Seung-gi, Han Hyo-joo, Bae and Moon Chae-won, scored the highest viewership ratings in ten years on Fuji TV in early March during its time slot.

The show took off with ratings of 5.2 percent, peaked at 9.7 percent and bowed out with ratings of 8.0 percent. Meanwhile, "Dong Yi," which started showing in Japan on July 17, is shown every Saturday and Sunday and "Temptation of an Angel" has aired every Saturday afternoon since August 7.

Bae, 33, made his debut in China's CCTV's "The Proof of Memories" in 2002. He won the new star award at the 2008 SBS Drama Awards for his role in the "The Painter of the Wind" as well as the top ten star award the following year for "Brilliant Legacy" and "Temptation of an Angel."

He is currently playing the role of a swordsman who dedicates his life to protect his love Dong Yi (played by Korean actress Han Hyo-joo) in MBC's historical series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

September 2, 2010

Kim Min-jong says Choi Si-won has much potential as actor

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun Editor: Jessica Kim

2010090217584030852_1.jpg

Singer and actor Choi Si-won speaks during a showcase for upcoming TV series

"Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

[Han Youn-jong/Asia Economic Daily]

Singer and actor Kim Min-jong has evaluated Super Junior member Choi Si-won as having much potential as possibility as an actor.

Kim made the remark during a showcase on Monday for upcoming TV series "Athena," the spin-off to last year's hit show "IRIS," in which the two appear alongside a star-studded cast also including Jung Woo-sung, Cha Seung -won, Soo Ae, E Ji-ah and Kim Seung-woo.

"He's doing so well that he's an actor whose future I look forward to more than his present," complimented Kim. "He reminds me of my own past, when I see him doing well at sports and music, as well as having a good determination for acting."

Choi explained, "I think I'll be able to act with my mind at ease and not be nervous because I had been pressured about having to act but everyone has been treating me as if I'm their sibling or nephew .... ... The members of Super Junior are jealous of me getting to work with them. " Choi explained.

"Athena," set to go on air starting November, will be about terrorist acts and threats against the Korean Peninsula and the whole world. The drama will be shot in various locations throughout the world such as Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and Switzerland.

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun tarophine @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @<Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>

2010090218035348096_2.jpg

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung poses during a photocall of the showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090218035348096_3.jpg

Korean actor Cha Seung-won speaks during a showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090218035348096_4.jpg

Korean singer and actor Choi Si-won poses during a photocall of the showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090218455886367_1.jpg

Actress Soo Ae poses during a photocall of the showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090218455886367_2.jpg

Actress E Ji-ah poses during a photocall of the showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on August 30, 2010.

2010090218475490748_1.jpg

2010090218475490748_2.jpg

Korean actors Jung Woo-sung, Soo Ae, Cha Seung-won, E Ji-ah, Kim Min-jong and Choi Si-won poses during a photocall of the showcase for upcoming TV series "Athena" held at the Lotte World in Seoul , South Korea on August 30, 2010.

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

September 2, 2010

'Troubleshooter' plays it too safe

By Lee Hyo-won

1009021001.jpg

Sul Kyoung-gu, pushing the wheelchair, plays another hardball detective

that gets stuck in a messy case in "Troubleshooter." / Courtesy of SBS Contents Hub

Sul Kyoung-gu’s latest screen persona coincidentally shares the same name and a similar profile as Won Bin’s knife-wielding madman in "The Man From Nowhere," which is currently making waves at the box office: Tae-sik in "Troubleshooter" is a former police officer whose wife is killed at a crime scene and Won’s Tae-sik is a retired secret agent who saw his wife die in a similar way. But there is a stark contrast between the disheveled Sul scrambling about, getting knocked out by toilet seats and the like, while one of Korea’s prettiest faces struts around in a finely pressed black suit, effortlessly defeating opponents in stylishly choreographed action sequences.

Yet Sul, one of Korean cinema’s most trusted actors, need not worry about such superficial comparisons ― particularly since he has his all too familiar and much-loved "Kang Cheol-jung" franchise to back up the scruffy guy-next-door-saves-the-day premise of the film. Sul’s bona fide filmography thus proves to be a fine buttress for Kwon Hyeok-jae’s directorial debut, as does the speedy storyline scripted by witty director Ryu Seung-wan. Nevertheless, these self-serving advantages also cripple the film somewhat because it plays it too safe.

The action flick comes in time for Chuseok and while the outlook isn’t too bad for the holiday lineup there seems to be little consequence in the long run, since it lacks the sultry ironic humor of Korean gangster films, and is neither disturbingly noir nor "han"-driven melodrama.

Tae-sik seems to be what the antiheroic cop Kang Cheol-jung might be doing after retirement: A single dad living in fear of his midget daughter and, equipped with a veteran’s experience of trailing clues, state-of-the-art gadgets and a knack for instant disguise, running a so-called "crime institute," which is really a P.I. service for catching cheating husbands and collecting debts.

Though Tae-sik is the most notoriously skilled troubleshooter in the sordid business, you cannot scratch your own back, and what seemed like a crackdown on adultery at a local motel turns out to be a trap for his biggest case yet, where the one in trouble is, well, surprise, surprise, himself.

He is framed for murder, but as an insider, he manages to run from the police. It is only a matter of time before he gets caught as he becomes Seoul’s Most Wanted, and his photo is transmitted all over town. This is when a cell phone falls into his hands and a mysterious Big Brother-type gives him directions: "I have the video proving your innocence, and follow my directions if you want to come off clean."

Tae-sik is instructed to kidnap a celebrity lawyer tangled up in a red-hot political issue, and he must worry about both the police on his tail and the prosecutors watching his target hostage. His biggest issue, however, is the guy controlling him and watching his every move with only a few words on the cell phone. But our protagonist isn’t called the troubleshooter for nothing, and decides to fight back to regain control of his life.

The film is driven forward by what seems to be Sul’s animalistic instincts to survive both on and offscreen ― no-cut skirmishes involving guns, knives and seemingly harmless household items, and a heart-thumping car chase scene where most of the film’s budget was undoubtedly poured into. But "Troubleshooter" loses its edge because the storyline, which is rather complex to begin with, is rendered unnecessarily complicated.

Some may begin to feel that Sul’s tortured antihero persona to be a bit passe ― it’s true to a degree when a film tries to recycle safe formulas. The supporting cast give the film a novel twist ― actress Moon Jeong-heui provides weight and girth while Song Sae-byeok ("The Servant") provides comic relief with his uncanny screen presence.

In theaters Sept. 9. Distributed by SBS Contents Hub.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

September 2, 2010

"Bread, Love and Dreams" set to rise in Asians' hearts

Reporter: Jessica Kim

2010090219560459899_1.jpg

"Bread, Love and Dreams" cast members (from left to right): Kim Eugene, Yoon Si-yoon, Joo Won and Lee Young-ah [KBS]

Current No. 1 Korean TV series "Bread, Love and Dreams" may spark an interest in bread-making in all of Asia with the show being sold to six countries and set to sign more broadcasting deals.

The drama's marketer ZOOM announced through a press release Tuesday that Wednesday and Thursday primetime series has been sold to China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Vietnam and Cambodia. The show is also expected to sign with an additional three countries including Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines while at the ongoing broadcasting content trade show BCWW (BROADCAST WORLD WIDE).

The four main characters of "Bread" -- namely Yoon Si-yoon, Lee Young-ah, Kim Eugene and Joo Won, are set to go on a promotional tour to several of the countries in time with the broadcasting schedules of the show.

"Bread," about the success story of baker Kim Tak-koo, has recently been scoring ratings in the 40 percent range, which places the show on 'national drama' status.

Reporter : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

September 3, 2010

So Ji-sub to Promote Tourism in Gangwon Province

2010090300433_0.jpg

So Ji-sub

Actor So Ji-sub is to be named a goodwill ambassador for tourism for Gangwon Province on Friday.

In a recently published travel journal, So featured photos and essays he authored while visiting areas of the province, including Cheolwon, Hwacheon, Yanggu and Goseong.

Gangwon Province tapped So for the job because of his great popularity in China and Japan due to his hit TV dramas "Glass Slippers" and "I'm Sorry, I Love You."

Stars on the Red Carpet at Chungmuro Film Festival

2010090300593_0.jpg

Actress Kim Min-joung walks the red carpet as she arrives at the Chungmuro International Film Festival at the National Theater of Korea in Jangchung-dong, Seoul on Thursday.

2010090300593_1.jpg

Yoo Seung-ho

2010090300593_2.jpg

Lee Jin

2010090300593_3.jpg

Lee In-hye

Archived