[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 25, 2010

Uhm Tae-woong to meet fans in Japan this weekend

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082513565195290_1.jpg

Korean actor Uhm Tae-woong [sim Entertainment]

Korean actor Uhm Tae-woong will hold a fan meeting in Japan over the weekend, according to his agency Sim Entertainment on Wednesday.

An official from Sim told 10Asia over the phone that the actor will meet with his fans on August 28 at the Umeda Museum of Modern Art located in Osaka. "Since Uhm will be busy shooting his upcoming drama in Korea, he won't have time to visit his fans in Japan for a while," the official explained on his visit to the country.

Uhm starrer TV series "Live Again," which aired in Korea in 2005, premiered in Japan last week as part of Japan's Fuji TV's "Hallyu Alpha Summer Festival" series. His other drama "Queen Seon-dok" is also being shown in the country as well. Fuji TV has broadcast other Korean hit series for the drama fest including "Minamishineyo," "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince" and "Brilliant Legacy."

Uhm, 37, made his debut in the entertainment industry in 1997 with a role in the Korean comedy "The Happenings." He starred in numerous dramas and movies since then including, "Stranger Than Heaven" (SBS, 2006), "Hand Phone" (2009) and "Chaw" (2009).

The actor recently finished filming movie "Cyrano Agency," which is scheduled to open in theaters on September 16, with Korean actors Choi Daniel and Park Shin-hye. He is currently shooting an upcoming SBS series tentatively titled "Doctor Champ," a sports drama, alongside Kim So-yeon and Jung Gyu-woon which is set to begin its run in late September,

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 25, 2010

Cast, director of "Domangja s1" holds press conference in Macau

2010082518372258441_1.jpg

Korean stars (from left to right): Lee Jung-jin, Rain, Lee Na-young, Yoon Jin-seo and Daniel Henney

at the press conference for "Domangja s1" in Macau [sl. Plan B]

The cast and director of upcoming KBS TV series "Domangja s1" held a press conference in Macau yesterday, according to a press release by the show's producer on Wednesday. Famed TV producer Kwak Jung-hwan, Korean stars Rain, Lee Na-young, Daniel Henney, Lee Jung-jin and Yoon Jin-seo attended the press conference, where they spoke to 60 journalists from 40 different local media outlets.

"Domangja s1" is helmed by noted director Kwak and written by Chun Sung-il, the creative duo behind the 2010 hit TV series "The Slave Hunters." The drama, about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared during the Korean War, features other high-profile cast members including Yoon Son-ha, Kong Hyun-jin and international actors Takenaka Naoto, Uehara Takako and Eric Tsang.

Filming for the show has taken place in various Asian cities such as Tokyo, Osaka and Yokohama. The cast and crew will be in the Philippines for the next shoot.

"Domangja s1" will premiere after current baking drama "Bread, Love and Dreams" ends its run in late-September.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Fan Bingbing considered for role in "My Way"

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok Editor: Lucia Hong

2010082519233411591_1.jpg

Chinese actress and singer Fan Bingbing

Chinese actress Fan Bingbing is being considered for a role in South Korean director Kang Je-gyu's Hollywood debut movie, according to the film's producer on Wednesday.

"Fan Bingbing is one of the many actresses that we are discussing to cast for a role in the war blockbuster" My Way, "an official from the production company explained, adding that nothing has been finalized.

"My Way," starring top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun and Japanese star Odagiri Joe, is about an Asian solider who was captured by the Japanese army and later turned over to the German Nazis during World War II.

Fan and several other famous actress including Wei Tang and Zhang Ziyi, if cast, will play the role of the Chinese woman who helps Jang's character in the movie.

Fan, 28, is also a Mandopop singer who rose to stardom for her role as Jin Suo in the TV sitcom "Princess Pearl" in 1998. She has also starred in Chinese films "Contract Love" (2007), "Fuse, Flash Point" (2007), "Bodyguards and Assassins" (2009) and "Just Another Pandora's Box" (2010).

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 25, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Yu Hae-jin - Part 1-3

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun Photographer: Chae ki-won Editor: Lee Ji-Hye Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082520071973952_1.jpg

Actor Yu Hye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Yu Hae-jing is an actor with a face that is hard to predict. With his comical yet strangely sharp facial features, he has played roles crossing between a police and gangster, a clown and butcher, and an idiot to villian, while managing to create completely different characters to the many 'bullies' he has been. But he is an actor who is hard to predict not only when he is acting. He is famous for being a perfectionist who will go to the region whose dialect he has to learn for his role and take dozens of ideas to the set of film "WOOCHI" in which he was an animal. He is also a romantist who said his favorite movie is "In the Mood for Love" and will hum a tune by Nat King Cole in a low voice. But the Yu who is best at comedic roles and is the so-called 'indispensable supporting actor' for being glib, is quite reticent in person.

The manager of this man, who feels uncomfortable at press conferences where all attention is turned to the cast and feels most comfortable when at home alone, asked the reporter to refrain from asking questions about the actress he is dating. But as we walked the streets of Insadong to shoot his photographs, a grandmother taking her grandson on a walk, gave her words of blessing to Yu, saying "Get married soon!" and high school students shouted out "Kim Hye-soo is the best!" Yu smiled with no signs of showing he felt uncomfortable. It was a face to Yu we had not seen before.

10: You're known to be on the quiet side but you have mostly taken on characters which are funny or friendly. I think that's why, like just happened, people who run into you in real life presume you'll be similar to the person they see in movies and approach you with great familiarity. Doesn't that perplex you?

Yu Hae-jin: I like it, I really do. (laugh) There's nothing as difficult as being ignored by the public while having a job like this. So I'm happy too when people treat me as a friend they haven't seen in a long time. I like it better than them just walking away after saying "Oh oh!" from far away because we're stars and it's not like they're aggressive either.

10: But you were fairly quiet at the screening for "Desire to Kill." (laugh)

Yu: Situations like press conferences are actually a bit uncomfortable for me. It's where, for the first time, you show your movie to people other than those who made the movie, and we wrapped up filming for it last summer so we were showing it after a yea since it was made.

10: This movie, about two men with limited control of their own bodies who want to kill each other, is sort of like a European style comedy in terms of the situation or story development. It also felt like I was watching a two-act play of you and actor Chun Ho-jin. How did you come to choose such a unique scenario?

Yu: To start with, the story was refreshing, and like you said, it felt like a two-act play or an absurdist play. After having started in theater, I've mostly been doing movies but it felt like I had returned to the stage while working on this production. It felt like it was the audience watching us when we were laying in hospital beds on set. That actually might be one of the first reasons I wanted to do this movie.

10: For actors, everything from one's head to toes, is their medium and weapon for expression, but in this movie, you're both basically tied to your beds. You must've worried a lot about the circumstantial restriction when there is such a huge and desperate energy that needs to be released from inside but can't be shown through movement.

Yu: I was worried that my acting may end up looking too flat in trying to expressing that sort of pschological state while having a physical disability. The movie was already being shot in a limited space with few characters. I talked extensively with the two directors and Chun Ho-jin on set. For the scene in the end where the two fight their decisive fight, I think we even discussed on how these two characters, who can't even move their bodies, will encounter each other on the floor below their beds and what tools they'll use.

10: It seemed like you were really pushing it to the extreme in the fighting scene at the climax of the movie -- it was to the extent that I was starting to feel disgusted.

Yu: Yes, and we weren't working in a very easy environment because we were on a schedule too tight for a feature and were a bit short on the budget. We had to wrap up filming in two months maximum so I think I spent a very hard-working summer last year.

2010082520071973952_2.jpg

Actor Yu Hye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: You have four movies this year including "Moss" which is already out and three including "Desire to Kill" which will premiere later this year. Did you have to go back and forth between any two?

Yu: I hadn't. You can't do anything else while doing work like this. It's impossible to do two together.

10: Do you feel any pressure about how well "Desire to Kill" will do since you've taken on a lead role for the first time in a while?

Yu: Many people ask me how different I feel when I'm playing a supporting character versus the main character when there actually aren't any differences. But I do think the pressure over the movie doing well is the one difference that there is. It feels like there is more responsibility I need to take on.

10: But I think this movie is one that could leave the actor experiencing sort of an extreme. Did you ever regret deciding to take on the movie just because it had a scenario you wanted to challenge yourself with and end up thinking 'Why did I bring such suffering upon myself?"

Yu: When I'm trying to decide on whether to take on a role that seems like an adventure or will be very tough, I ask myself one question. "Someone else will do it if I don't, right? Then what's there about it not to do? Okay, let's do it." That's how get started. (laugh)

10: I heard you really wanted to star in "Moss" because you had enjoyed the original comic a lot. What about the comic did you like so much?

Yu: I started reading it by chance one day and ended up reading the entire published series on the spot. It had a power which makes you really concentrate. I thought, 'Wow, this seems to be a very interesting story.' And I wanted to know how the story intended on ending. The character's lines were alive as well, as if I could almost hear them talk.

10: You have taken on many roles which do not carry much weight but leave strong impressions. As an actor, you must also feel burdened by the fact that you're remembered for such strong characters.

Yu: There are cases where after I've played a strong character, people will want to cast me because they want that sort of vibe from me. It's not great as an actor but it's not as if I can tell myself, 'I won't do anything until I'm handed a different character' so in that case, I'll work within the character and try to give slight changes to it.

2010082520002958581_1.jpg

Actor Yu Hae-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: You said in an interview before that "supporting actors don't have enough time and the script isn't so kind to them." Maybe that's why but you're famous for being an actor who is always very prepared. You are said to have produced dozens of ideas for playing your role in "Woochi."

Yu Hae-jin: Nah, not dozens. (laugh) Whether it be the director, crew or actors, we're there to make a good movie. So I just think about whether there would be anything better since I'm part of it as well. In that sense I'm more active than passive but it's not because I'm trying to stand out. Rather, if I think I stand out too much I'll tell the director so and if he agrees, we go with my idea and if not, I set my opinions aside because the director is the one who is looking at everything in the big picture. And when I don't know what to do either, I lay forth the problem first and then ask for help. I do try to find a better direction though and ask, "Director, I can't think of anything no matter how hard I try. Is there something else we could try?"

10: Every actor works in different ways but it doesn't seem like a common method. It's probably not easy for an actor to make suggestions to the director.

Yu: That's why you have to be careful how you do it. And I'm very careful about it. (laugh) I hint to my thoughts saying, "Another way of doing it is like this, what do you think?" And if it doesn't pass, I'll put my opinion aside completely. But we're all there going through tough times together so I think it's a waste not mentioning what could possibly make a good movie when you think there is a way.

10: Are you usually the enthusiastic type? Outside of acting.

Yu: No. I'm not like that at all in private settings. But when I'm working on a movie, it's fun to because there's significance in participating in something together and making it happen.

10: Is it related to the way you learned to do theater?

Yu: That does have quite a lot to do with it.

10: You first started acting in your junior year of high school, after joining an acting troupe. I'm curious to know how you went looking for a troupe merely for your love of acting instead of wanted to become a celebrity or a star.

Yu: That's why I think how you actually get into acting is important. When I used to live in the city of Cheongju, there was sort of a cultural center near my house. And when they hold events, I'd slip in through the backdoor to watch. Then one time, I watched a mono-drama when I was in eighth grade. And I thought, 'Wow, I guess that's what I want to do in the future.' It was so shocking and great. It just so happened that I was in puberty then so I felt those emotions much stronger. I think that was a very important moment for me and great luck.

2010082520002958581_2.jpg

10: Even so, people usually try to major acting when they get to college. Why did you, as a high school student, go directly to a troupe?

Yu: I had actually begged to be sent to an arts high school but my family wasn't in the situation to support me for it financially and my parents were conservative so they also didn't want me to act. Then when I reached high school, I thought I needed to do something about my situation so I joined a troupe after taking part in a summer camp for acting. In the beginning I started with running errands for the other actors and tried copying what they do from a distance.

10: How was it getting to show other people your acting for the first time? For people who aren't actors, that moment is fearful to even imagine.

Yu: Of course I was extremely nervous, scared and having a hard time the first time I went on stage. And that was a strange experience but what was more weird was when I got paid several millions of wons for the first time after doing a movie. Because for theater actors, and the situation hasn't got much better yet, but we barely made enough to pay for our transportation. But receiving such money after not even being on set that many times, I wondered to myself whether it was okay that I receive that money.

10: Then with theater, if it was about wondering whether you'll be able to show everything that you have to the audience in front of your eyes at that very moment, with movies, was it that you had to give back something worth the money you've been paid?

Yu: Yes. I wondered, 'Am I doing my money's worth? And is it right that I'm getting this much?' Didn't you feel like that when you got your first salary? Oh, maybe it's a bit different? My standard was always 'a little' so when I first got paid in several times that amount, I wondered whether I'd been paid the wrong amount. (laugh) I think that was back in 1997 when I did "Blackjack."

10: Then this is from even before then. What sort of person do you think you were when you were in school?

Yu: I was very introverted but I really tried hard from a certain point to change that. I think after the moment I decided to act, I told myself I need to practice showing myself. I tried standing in front of others on purpose too and that helped me become quite an active student. But my old personality is coming out again. (laugh)

10: You first majored in fashion design in college.

Yu: I had tried out for acting and film twice but failed both times. That's why I thought of fashion. I was originally planning on just going to the military but my father said I might as well just study anything. But I didn't want to just study anything and do something that will help at least a bit with acting so I chose fashion.

10: How did you feel when you didn't get accepted as a theater and film major? You must've wondered whether the judges have failed to recognize your talent or whether you're just not talented enough.

Yu: And looks played a lot in their decisions. So I thought, 'Ah, am I dreaming of something in vain?' and I became scared of tests after failing a couple times. It was also a lot of pressure having to be judged in such a short time so even when I take medicine to help calm me down, I'd shake from nervousness.

2010082519343423905_1.jpg

10: There are times when one has to evaluate their own looks objectively. What do you feel then?

Yu Hae-jin: I think, "Aren't you ugly." (laugh)

10: Has that thought not changed over the years?

Yu: It has changed. I don't think such thoughts anymore. And it's not because people recognize me now but how can one live dwelling on their own looks like that? I did a bit when I was younger and going through puberty but I'm past that age. (laugh)

10: Is there anything other than your appearance, such as your physique or voice, that you have been unhappy about?

Yu: I actually didn't like my voice that much either. It's very sonant. There were times when I used to be disgruntled with my voice which seems like it just spreads out and becomes hoarse quickly.

10: But you're not like that anymore?

Yu: I can't live my life complaining.

10: But you kept pursuing acting and ended up entering the department of theater and film.

Yu: I acted except for when I was in the military and I concentrated on my theater work while in school, brushing aside my studies in fashion. I barely graduated as well. But it was a good thing I listened to my dad because there was a special selection process for college graduates which picked students based just on their grades so that's how I got into The Seoul Institute of the Arts.

10: How did you feel once you got in? Was it really that great or a bit different from what you had expected?

Yu: The best part about it was that I met a great teacher. I remember her telling me, "Life wouldn't be fun if acting was nothing but fun all the time," whenever I'm having a hard time.

10: I heard you learned dancing for quite a while too when you were in your early twenties.

Yu: Yes, I learned because a close friend of mind did modern dancing. I had a lot of passion back then. And it was when I had failed to get into theater and film but I think I wanted to learn as many things as possible which will help me as an actor, sort of a pride as an actor. Now that I think about it, the passion was very important for me rather than the results that I'll see from it right away.

2010082519343423905_2.jpg

10: But so far, you've played characters who are cowardly, servile, true to their desires and quite vulgar. Is there anything that you start thinking about such characters after a while?

Yu: When I get the role of a so-called 'gangster,' I used to feel repulsed by the fact that I have to play someone who is rough again. But I now also feel sort of a sympathy for them. Who would want to live their life like that? Of course, they're doing things which are considered bad ethically but that's just their way of life and I've gotten to think there's a reason they can't help living their life that way. Of course, you can't show all of that about a character unless the movie is about him but I've been thinking that I should at least take interest in that person's survival.

10: Do you think you now receive a wider range of scenarios than before?

Yu: I do compared to the earlier years of my career. "Desire to Kill" is a unique film but I do still receive a lot of scripts which are similar to the characters I've portrayed so far so I actually do hope I start getting more that aren't like that.

10: Then as someone who has mostly played roles who are a member of a male organization or play the lead actor opposite another male actor, do you hope to play more roles which focus on the emotions between two people, such as romance or melodrama?

Yu: I don't have a particular genre I want to do. Just as long as it's about someone rich in character, if that's there as a basic element and the movie aims to deliver that, then I'll want to do that.

10: What was your dream when you were young, before you thought of wanting to become an actor?

Yu: It was what my parents wanted but one of the things they told me to say was becoming a diplomat. I automatically answered "A diplomat!" when someone asked me "What do you want to become when you grow up?" And I didn't even know what diplomats do. (laugh) I think the dream I had after that was to become an actor.

10: How do you feel now about the first dream you selected for yourself, started with difficulty and has now become your job?

Yu: Well, they say that what you like doing is better left as a hobby and that it loses its pureness when it becomes a job. You have to take more responsibility for it as well. So I may be losing things I'm not aware of, but there are also tons of things I have gained. On the whole, I'm living an incredibly happy life right now. (laugh)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

August 26, 2010

'Poetry' premieres in France

25234456.jpg

The film, “Poetry,” which won the Best Screenplay Award at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, opened yesterday in theaters across France.

The French Korean Cultural Center announced Tuesday that the film will screen at 30 theaters, including the MK2 Grande Bibliotheque complex in Paris.

Directed by Lee Chang-dong, the movie tells the story of a 60-year-old grandmother who lives with her grandson and the episodes that take place as she learns to write poetry. The film marked actress Yun Jung-hee’s return to the silver screen after a 16-year absence.

Source: joongangdaily.com

August 26, 2010

Jay Park, Jang Hyuk set to leave "Secret Garden"

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082610205327586_1.jpg

Jay Park (left) and Jang Hyuk [sidusHQ]

Actors who were cast for upcoming SBS TV series "Secret Garden," including Jang Hyuk and former boy band 2PM leader Jay Park, are said to have withdrawn from the show.

According to multiple sources, actor Jang Hyuk who was set to play the male lead and actress Kim Sa-rang decided to pull out from the drama after Park's casting for the show fell through. All three are managed by major talenthouse SidusHQ. Although officials had not confirmed Park was cast for "Secret Garden," his agency SidusHQ had said earlier this month that negotiations are "going positively" and they are waiting for a response from the show.

Park was set to play the role of a gifted singer in the fantasy melodrama by producer Shin Woo-cheol and scenarist Kim Eun-sook, the duo famous for creating smash hits "Lovers in Paris" and "On Air."

Officials working with Jang Hyuk have said the actor's withdrawal from the show "has not been set as of yet" but several industry sources have accepted his exit from the show as fact.

Park, whose Korean name is Park Jae-beom, joined SidusHQ this summer when he returned to Korea for the first time in months after splitting from 2PM. He has taken on a solo career in singing and acting since, releasing his debut album and filming Korea-US b-boy pic "Hype Nation."

Jang Hyuk of smash hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" is set to star in the Chinese remake of hit Korean drama "All About Eve," to premiere in China in September.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 26, 2010

"Reign of Assassins" to open in theaters on October 14

2010082613533650549_1.jpg

John Woo film "Reign of Assassins"

Upcoming John Woo movie "Reign of Assassins" will be opening in local theaters on October 14, according to the film's importer Sane Company Inc. on Thursday.

"Assassins," starring top Korean actor Jung Woo-sung and Chinese actress Michelle Yeoh, is about an ordinary postman (Jung) with extraordinary martial arts skills. Yeoh will be playing a skilled female assassin and the two come together to fight off a gang and return the ashes of a mystical Buddhist monk.

The martial arts film was helmed by Taiwanese filmmaker Chao-bin Su and produced by acclaimed director John Woo, whose works include "Mission: Impossible II" and "Red Cliff I & II," with his long-time movie partner Terence Chang.

"Assassins" has also been invited to be screened at the 67th Venice Film Festival on September 3 under the Out of Competition category and Jung and Woo will be in attendance for the film fest, where Woo will be receiving the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement for his accomplishments in the movie industry.

Jung, 36, is one of the most sought after actors in Korea. He has starred in numerous movies such as "Beat" (1997), "A Moment to Remember" (2004) and "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008) and has worked with some of the top names in the industry including Ko So-young, Son Ye-jin, Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun.

He is currently shooting "Athena," the spin-off to last year's blockbuster drama "IRIS," which will air on SBS in November.

August 26, 2010

Drama Tackles 'Presidency'

A drama is about to tackle the topic of the presidency.

Korean dramas about politics and historical stories had featured the president mainly as a background character so far, but these days the president has been the protagonist of a few mini-series dramas in a row, and the president has suddenly stood out as a “popular job” in dramas.

SBS TV’s new drama “Dae Mul,” which will begin airing from October, and KBS 2TV’s new drama “President,” which will begin airing from December, are stories of politicians who run for the presidency. Both dramas will focus on the process to run for the presidency, and the stories happening after being elected as the president will be unfolded as well. To be specific, the presidential candidate will be the main character, and in the process of running for the presidency, the dramas will portray the job of the president itself and the lifestyle of the president from various angles. The drama “Dae Mul” has cast the actress Ko Hyun Jung as the female protagonist and tells the story of the first female president, and the drama “President” has cast the actor Choi Soo Jong as the protagonist.

7492_1562_l.jpg

7492_1563_l.jpg

◇Showdown of Korean and Japanese original cartoons - Is a former human rights lawyer the ideal president? Both dramas will be produced based on the original cartoons.

The original cartoon of the drama “Dae Mul,” which has the same title and was written by Park In Kwon, tells the story of the first female president of Korea. The former prosecutor Seo Hye Rim runs for the presidency and becomes the elected president after a circuitous path. The drama “President” is based on the Japanese cartoon writer Kaiji kawaguchi’s cartoon entitled “Eagle.” Even though the original is a Japanese cartoon, it deals with the election of the US president because Japan has a prime minister system instead of a presidential system. This drama will be about the protagonist named Jang Il Joon who will run for the presidential election in 2012 for the election of the 18th president of Korea.

As both dramas deal with the presidential election, they will naturally discuss the type of ideal president, and it is very interesting to find that both dramas have chosen human rights lawyers as the protagonists. The character Seo Hye Rim in “Dae Mul” was initially a prosecutor who fought against social evils, and she decided to resign from the prosecutor position after taking the responsibility for arresting a "heavy hitter" who had been the de facto power behind political gangs. After that, she starts to work as a lawyer and gains popularity as a human rights lawyer, and she decides to run for the presidency based on her popularity as a human rights lawyer.

The character Jang Il Joon in “President” is the brightest man who had come from an ordinary family and had been accepted by a prestigious university, majoring the law. In the university, he participated in the student movement during the Yushin regime and came to have a new dream. He gained a good reputation as a human rights lawyer and ran for the National Assembly, and finally succeeded in becoming elected as a member of the National Assembly after his third attempt. After that, he runs for the presidency to create a whole new country where there will be no conflict among people with different ideologies, regional sentiments, and social class.

◇"Telling a story about the President is no longer taboo.” - Before these two dramas, the movie “Good Morning President,” in which the actor Jang Dong Gun appeared, had been a hot topic by setting the president as the protagonist last year. In “Good Morning President,” three presidents, played by Jang Dong Gun, Lee Soon Jae, and Ko Doo Shim, presented humane characters with wit. The movie had shown comical stories about the president, but these new dramas will have more of a political tinge by describing the process of running for the presidency, which is actually a "battlefield without gunfire." That is, those dramas will deal with the president more actively. Production staff members all say that there is no other job as attractive and dramatic job as the presidency.

The production director of “President,” Kim Hyung Il said, “There has been a desire to look at the story of the president closely, and the desire has finally been realized. The fact that we can freely talk about the president in a drama means that our society has become mature.” He continued, “Up until now, any work had been prohibited that dealt with a story about the president, so the president had only been dealt with in documentary programs within dramas set in the Republic era or in stories of unofficial history, but now that has been changed and the atmosphere of society allows any work describing the president, whoever the person is, what kind of worries the president has in mind, and how the president has been living.”

The section chief of the SBS drama, Park Jong, also said, “Our society has become candid enough to allow dramas pick up the subject of the president. Among various incidents, a murder case is the best material to deal with, and among people, the president is the best character to express dramatic settings. For this reason, many foreign movies and dramas have also chosen the president as the protagonist.”

The bellwethers of the change have appeared gradually. In the drama “Lovers In Prague,” the female protagonist, played by the actress Jeon Do Yeon, was a daughter of the president, and the drama presented the humane relationship between father and daughter. In the drama “City Hall,” the male protagonist, played by Cha Seung Won, was a politician dreaming of running for the presidency, and at the end of the drama, the protagonist actually ran for the presidential election. In addition, in the drama “Boys Over Flowers,” actor Lee Jung Kil played a doctor who was once the president of Korea, and enabled viewers to look at the ordinary life of the president after his presidential term. In the drama “IRIS,” the president agonized over the fight against a terrorist organization.

The section chief Park Jong added, “The drama ‘Dae Mul’ will tell a story about the presidential election, but the elements of the melodrama will also be highlighted, so as a whole, the genre of the drama will be the fusion of melodrama and political drama.” In “Dae Mul,” an attractive politician named Kang Hyun Suk and a former Casanova named Ha Ryu will star and be involved in a love triangle with the female presidential candidate, and the love story between them will be covered with much importance.

◇"We are waiting for the great president.” - The consecutive appearances of dramas with the topic of the presidency reflect the desire to have a great president. The production director Kim Hyung Il said, “Apart from the party, the leadership of the president is very important as it will decide the fate of the country. Everyone has a desire to have a great president in Korea, and the drama will channel those wishes into presenting an ideal presidential character in the drama.”

Source: KBS Global

August 26, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong says SS501 has not disbanded

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun Editor : Jessica Kim

2010082617185742059_2.jpg

Actor Kim Hyun-joong speaks during a press conference for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss"

held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong has said his boy band SS501 has not disbanded, playing down rumor that its five members will go separate ways since their contract with their former agency has ended and some have signed with new management.

The 24-year-old heartthrob made the remark on Thursday at a press conference for upcoming MBC drama "Naughty Kiss," the Korean small screen adaptation of Japanese comic series "Itazura na Kiss," where he will play the role of a Mr. Perfect who ends up falling in love with a girl always getting into trouble, taken on by actress Jung So-min.

Emphasizing that "nothing has been decided" regarding a possible breakup of the band, Kim explained, "People say we have disbanded but none of that talk has come from our mouths. What are you going to do if we then come out with a new album? Please just wait and see."

Kim is the first member from his group to sign with a new agency after SS501's contract with DSP Media expired in early June. He joined KEYEAST later that month, one of South Korea's largest entertainment houses of which top actor Bae Yong-joon is a major shareholder.

Park Jung-min found nest at CNR Media two weeks ago, a firm set up jointly by Korea's ROY MEDIA and major Taiwanese drama production company Comic-Ritz, which houses Chai Zhi Ping, the first producer to turn Japanese comic series "Boys Over Flowers" into a TV series in Asia.

And while members Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong have yet to join new agencies, Kim Hyung-joon is currently looking into signing with Kang Ji-hwan's talent firm S Plus Entertainment.

"I moved to KEYEAST because I wanted to gain on my experience as an actor. But I was happy because the agency said it would manage my career not only as an actor but as a singer as well," Kim Hyun-joong said, commenting on his move for the first time in public. He then added, "It has not been set as of yet but it's true that I'm preparing for my singing career as well. I don't know if I'll go solo or be part of a group but as of now, I'm preparing for an album with a solo career in mind."

Kim also said he had originally planned to take a break after moving to KEYEAST but took on "Naughty Kiss" after being offered his role by the show's director Hwang In-roe of "Goong" (MBC, 2006) and "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009) fame.

"Itazura na Kiss," a popular manga by Karou Tada, has sold over 27 million copies in Japan and was turned into an anime series in the country in 2008 by director Osamu Yamazaki. It was also turned into a TV series in Taiwan where it was recognized as the No. 1 show in the country and was shown in 13 countries throughout Asia.

"Naughty Kiss" will go on air in Korea starting September 1.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010082617113912179_1.jpg

From left, singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong and actress Jung So-min pose during a photocall of a press conference for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

2010082617113912179_2.jpg

Kim Hyun-joong and Jung So-min [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2010082617095404974_1.jpg

2010082617095404974_3.jpg

Singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong poses during a photocall of a press conference for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

2010082616554543971_3.jpg

Actress Jung So-min speaks during a press conference for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

2010082616554543971_2.jpg

Actress Jung So-min poses during a photocall for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

2010082617093102283_2.jpg

Jung Hye-young, Kim Hyun-joong, Jung So-min, Lee Tae-sung and Lee Si-young. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" cast Jung Hye-young, Kim Hyun-joong, Jung So-min, Lee Tae-sung and Lee Si-young pose during a photocall of a press conference for the show held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5

August 26, 2010

Stanford confirms Tablo graduated from the school

20100826000988_0.jpg

Stanford University homepage

Stanford University carried an article featuring the controversy surrounding Daniel Lee, well known as Tablo in Korea, on its homepage.

This article was titled “Rapper-poet DANIEL LEE returns to Stanford to clear his name.” Introducing Tablo as a rapper-poet of the Asian hip-hop group Epik High, the article said Tablo, along with a crew from MBC, was on campus last week.

“The visit is part of Lee’s continuing effort to prove that he attended the university and to clear his name,” it said. It said, “Lee, who graduated from Stanford in 2002 with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English, has been the subject of Internet rumors among so-called netizens who accuse him of lying about his Stanford degree.”

Stanford expressed regrets about the rumors, despite his school official and professor verified that Lee was a Stanford graduate. “My document has a legal bearing here in the United States,” Black was quoted as saying. “I could go to jail if I were to falsify the document. The ignorant mob, I’ll call them, is just spewing poison for no reason,” Tom Black, university registrar, was quoted as saying.

20100826000991_0.jpg

Tablo and his wife, actress Kang Hye Jung

Black was among those interviewed by the MBC broadcasters on Thursday and had the opportunity to talk further with Lee, 29, who says the controversy has been exhausting and discouraging for him and his family. “I think Daniel is doing very well,” said Black. “He feels very reassured. He saw how we received him – as did the film crew – and he found friends that knew him even while walking around,” the report said.

MBC plans to broadcast the program on Tablo around Sept. 24.

Source: koreaherald.com

August 27, 2010

Violent films raise alarms

Experts are concerned that recent releases could encourage copycat crimes

26215829.jpg

Blades and guns are a thing of the past. Nail guns and guillotines are now the weapons of choice in the latest trend among local filmmakers, who are inventing characters that are increasingly cruel and producing films that are ever more bloody in nature. But this tendency has some experts worried that the excessive depictions of violence will encourage copycat crimes.

As of Wednesday, the film “Ajeossi” (“The Man from Nowhere”) has topped box office attendance records for four weeks, and “I Saw the Devil” has been at No. 3 for the first three weeks since its release Aug. 12, according to Korean Film Council, the nation’s film governing body.

Both films depict violent scenes that are extremely graphic and very realistic. In Ajeossi, traffickers extract human organs from people who are still alive and the protagonist uses a huge nail gun to kill the villain. But Ajeossi is less bloody than I Saw the Devil, which was rejected twice by the Korea Media Rating Board before its premiere because some scenes “undermine human dignity.”

I Saw the Devil received the green light from the board after producers agreed to delete 90 seconds from one of the more violent scenes, but the film has continued to be controversial. The main characters - a psychopath who derives sexual pleasure from killing women and a National Intelligence Service guard who tortures the psychopath to avenge the death of his fiancee who was killed by the man - exhibit all types of brutality. In one scene, the guard (played by Lee Byung-hun) pierces the cheek of the psychopath (played by Choi Min-sik) using a screwdriver, in another scene, the guard cuts off the psychopath’s Achilles tendon.

26215851.jpg

Films such as ‘Ajeossi’ (‘The Man from Nowhere’), top, and ‘I Saw the Devil’ have drawn criticism

for their excessive depictions of violence. Provided by CJ Entertainment and Peppermint and Company

The film is so difficult to watch that many netizens have put posts on their blogs saying they couldn’t watch the whole thing. “I enjoy films like [the 2004 horror film] ‘Saw,’ but this film was way different from those,” said Kim Eun-jin, 26, who teaches at a private institute in Seoul. “After I saw it, it was hard for me to go out alone at night for about a week.”

At a recent press conference, the film’s director Kim Ji-woon and leading actors Choi Min-sik and Lee Byung-hun refuted concerns about the film’s brutality. “Films reflect our society,” said Kim when asked whether he thought the film would encourage copycat crimes. “On the contrary, I think film hasn’t yet caught up with the violence of today.”

Said Choi: “It’s good to talk openly about violence as long as it exists in our society.” Some experts, however, feel that such films have inspired people to commit crimes, though there is conflicting research on the subject.

Kim Kil-tae, who raped and murdered a middle school girl in Busan in April, sprinkled lime powder on her corpse in an attempt to destroy evidence. A similar scene appeared in the 2002 film “Public Enemy.” “Not everyone mimics the violence they’ve seen in films, but violent films certainly affect children, teenagers and people who don’t know the difference between right and wrong,” said Lee Su-jeong, a professor of criminal psychology at Kyonggi University. “Since children are educated to follow the example set by adults, these violent films provide bad role models.”

Sim Young-seop, a film critic who runs the Healing Cinema Center in Seoul, agrees.

“‘I Saw the Devil’ could traumatize even ordinary people,” Sim said. “One thing I can say for sure is that Korean films are becoming more violent and extreme.”

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

August 26, 2010

Lee Seo-jin to join Lee Seung-gi agency

Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082623372380541_1.jpg

Lee Seo-jin [Lee Seo-jin's Official Website]

Actor Lee Seo-jin will be signing with agency Hook Entertainment which manages popular singer and actor Lee Seung-gi's career, according to the talenthouse on Thursday.

An official at Hook told Sports Today that the 37-year-old actor has decided to sign an exclusive contract with the firm, adding that Hook had already been managing the actor's schedule since July.

The 36-year-old actor, who most recently starred in MBC's horror series "Soul", has been taking a break from work and seeking out his next project. Last September, he attended a promotion tour for hit drama "Yi-San" held in Japan where the series aired on NHK and was a big hit.

Lee, who has appeared in over a dozen films and movies since his debut in 1999, gained popularity through hit series "Damo" and "Firebird."

Reporter: Choi Jun-yong yjchoi01 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 27, 2010

Grotesque, disturbing revenge tale from savage isle

26215739.jpg

A scene from ‘Bedeviled,’ which will be released Sept. 2. Provided by Sponge ENT

“Bedeviled” follows two women who grew up on a remote, savage island. One has never left the isle. The other has moved to Seoul and found a career, although life in the city has hardened and withered her heart. But when the urbanite returns for some soul-searching with her old friend, her rural hometown is hardly relaxing.

Instead, a bloody revenge tale unfolds in this feature debut by Jang Cheol-soo - Kim Ki-duk’s former assistant director. The early part of the film is an engaging examination of humanity, but in the end it turns into just another bloody gore item.

Seo Young-hee plays Bok-nam, a woman with ungroomed hair and darkened skin, whose life has been bound to the pastoral island populated by villainous, violent men and hateful old women. Constantly beaten by her husband and fatigued by hard labor, Bok-nam longs to flee to Seoul with her daughter. She dreams of a city life in which she would have milky white skin and wear chic dresses like her friend Hae-won (Ji Sung-won).

But the big city harbors its own evils, and Hae-won, a bank teller, has grown edgy and withdrawn. When asked to testify on the murder of a young woman, she turns her back. At work, she shuts herself off from human affection. The islet she returns to for a retreat is hardly a paradise. Its isolated community proves to be a primitive epitome of human vices and evils. Beastly men routinely assault and rape Bok-nam, while her mother-in-law and female neighbors are eerily indifferent toward this mistreatment, eventually setting her on a ruthless path to revenge in the film’s second half.

Once Bok-nam strikes back, there is a strong sense of relief that comes from the overdue punishment, but her revenge goes way too far. When her attempt to escape the island leads to her daughter’s death, Bok-nam unleashes her anger and reaches out for a scythe.

The film keeps producing tension on screen with a speedy narrative and extreme contrasts of light and shade. But its bloody scenes overflow, and its early melodramatic intensity slackens as the villains are stereotyped and the revenge drags on.

Jang said the grotesque images are a thematic tool needed to build a revenge logic. “Personally, I’m not a person who likes gore films,” he said after Wednesday’s press screening in Seoul. “I began thinking it was a melodrama, and while setting the level of expression along the way, those strong scenes came about so that [the heroine’s] unresolved emotions could find an outlet.”

Source: joongangdaily.com, Yonhap

August 27, 2010

SS501 Kim Hyung-joon joins Kang Ji-hwan agency

Jessica Kim

2010082709431263570_1.jpg

SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon [s-Plus Entertainment]

K-pop idol group SS501 member Kim Hyung-joon has signed with actor Kang Ji-hwan's agency S-Plus Entertainment, making him the third member of the five-man band to join a new talenthouse.

S-Plus made the announcement through a press release on Friday, saying the firm "will provide its unstinting support to Kim Hyung-joon so he may pursue his activities in all fields of entertainment including singing and acting beyond Asia."

Also, addressing constant rumor and speculation that his group will disband after each member goes their own ways, S-Plus stated that "one thing to make most clear is that Kim's signing with the company does not at all mean a breakup of SS501."

S-Plus explained that being able to sustain his activities as a member of the band was one of the first issues Kim raised while negotiating on the contract. "The company respects Kim's opinion 100 percent ...... We will emphasize once again that Kim will first and foremost actively take part in his activities as a member of SS501."

The other members who have signed with new agencies - Kim Hyun-joong with KEYEAST and Park Jung-min with CNR Media - as well as their new reps, have all stated SS501 will not disband.

Top Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon is a major shareholder of KEYEAST and CNR Media is a firm set up jointly by major Taiwanese drama producer Comic-Ritz and Korea's ROY MEDIA.

Other members Heo Young-saeng and Kim Kyu-jong too have yet to make a decision.

SS501 has been one of the most popular bands in Korea and in several countries in Asia since forming in 2005. Their contract with DSP Media ended in early June.

Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 27, 2010

"The Housemaid" invited to film festival in Chicago

2010082709493006045_1.jpg

Posters of Korean erotic thriller "The Housemaid" [sidus F & H]

Korean director Im Sang-soo's modern adaptation of "The Housemaid" has been invited to this year's Chicago International Film Festival, according to the official website of the fest on Friday.

"Housemaid," about a young woman who is hired to work for a wealthy family and begins to have an affair with the man of the household, will be screened at the 46th Chicago film fest alongside other international movies from October 7 to 21.

The Korean erotic thriller, a remake of the classic 1960s film by Kim Ki-young, stars 2007 Cannes best actress award-winner Jeon Do-youn, Lee Jung-jae and veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jung.

The film has competed at the Cannes Film Festival in May and will be shown at the Toronto International Film Festival next month. It is scheduled to be released in several major countries overseas including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and France in September as well as in the United States later this year.

"The Housemaid" attracted over 2.3 million moviegoers which totals to about 17 billion Korean won since its opening in local theaters on May 13.

The Chicago International Film Festival has been held every October since 1965, aiming to introduce Chicago and the world to new filmmakers, stories and movies. In 2003, they created the International Connections Program to appeal to various ethnicities and bring culture and diversity to the event.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved>10Asia

August 27, 2010

Actors receive awards at Mnet "20's Choice"

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk Editor: Jessica Kim

From top down, actors Chun Jung-myung and Lee Jung-jae receive awards at the 4th annual cable music channel Mnet's "20's Choice" ceremony held at the River Park pool of the Sheraton Grande Walkerhill hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010.

2010082714213326371_1.jpg

Chun Jung-myung [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010082714213326371_2.jpg

Lee Jung-jae [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 27, 2010

Yoo Seung-ho to return to small screen in October

Kang Geyong-rok Editor: Lucia Hong

2010082715393974462_1.jpg

Korean actor Yoo Seung-ho [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Yoo Seung-ho will be returning to the small screen in October as the male lead in an upcoming drama.

An industry source told Sports Today over the phone, "It has been confirmed that Yoo Seung-ho has been cast for the new MBC weekend drama tentatively titled 'You Only Love a Girl Once in Your Life.'"

The official added that the show's producer will make an official announcement in early September.

"Girl," to also star Korean actress Shin Eun-kyoung, is a 50-part series about the legacy of a son of a conglomerate family. It is written by famed scenarist Jung Ha-youn, whose works include "The Last Empress," "La Dolce Vita" and "Sindon."

Yoo made his debut at the early age of 10, starring in the MBC TV series "Daddy Fish" (2000) and his film debut in "The Way Home" (2002). He has appeared in numerous dramas including "Love Letter" (MBC, 2003), "Queen Seon-duk" (MBC, 2009) and "Master of Study" (KBS2, 2010) and movie "Don't Tell Papa" (2004 ) and "Unforgettable" (2008).

He recently released a digital single with Korean songstress IU titled "I Believe in Love," which has fared well on various music charts since its release in early August.

Reporter: Kang Geyong-rok rock @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 27, 2010

TV series "Naughty Kiss" press conference - Part 1-2

Senior Reporter: Kang Myoung-Seok Editor: Lee Ji-Hye Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082713493798193_1.jpg

From left, singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong and actress Jung So-min pose

during a photocall of a press conference for MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss"

held at the Imperial Palace hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 26, 2010. [Group 8]

"Will fans of Kim Hyun-joong please exit the room to facilitate the interviews?" The host of the press conference for upcoming MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss" had to repeat this line several times during a Q&A session. The show had drawn people's interest due to the popularity of the original Japanese comic series combined with the participation of director Hwang In-roe of hit series "Goong" fame. And it became a 'hot' drama even before going into production after singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong's casting for the show was announced. Will the interest be reflected in its ratings? Below are excerpts from the press conference held at Seoul's Imperial Palace hotel on Thursday.

Q: How do you feel about starring in "Naughty Kiss"?

Jung So-min: I went into "Bad Boy" not knowing anything but this time, I'm trying to be careful, taking many things into consideration.

Kim Hyun-joong: I'm working on improving on the aspects I lack in. I'm not trying to be acknowledged for my acting skills -- I just want to make people feel that I've worked hard for the role. I think there have been a lot of dramas which are serious these days and none that are cheerful and sweet so I hope viewers will have fun watching it.

Q: Director Hwang In-roe, you've gone back to doing a love story about a young man and woman like in "Goong." What is the message that you want to deliver?

Hwang: Upon seeing these bright and cheerful characters, I hope people will feel that they look sweet together and are loveable.

Q: What is your opinion on the original comic series?

Hwang: When I first read it, I felt that it was cute. (laugh) But the more I looked closely at it to produce the show, the more I started to realize why people enjoy it and I started seeing things that I shouldn't leave out. It wasn't easy to go with the flow of the original series though. We have to show the story of the two going to college but Korea and Japan work under different educational systems so I had a tough time changing it. (laugh)

Q: The video clip revealed a few moments ago showed that the show has a very strong comic-like vibe to it.

Hwang: It's based on a comic so I tried to bring out the strengths that comics have. And this is about showing the process of how the love between a man and woman come true so I'm trying to express the emotions of young people. I'm focusing particularly hard on the rhythm. And for the parts where Oh Hani imagines things, I'm trying to make those seem more comic book-like. But there's a limit to it as well because you don't have much freedom in terms of frame usage so I'm trying to show it more through characters' expressions.

2010082713493798193_2.jpg

Scenes from upcoming MBC TV series "Naughty Kiss." [MBC]

Q: Why did you cast Kim Hyun-joong and Jung So-min?

Hwang: It was as if they were the characters that popped out of the comic. And I think they've done well so far in trying to express what I want. There are some things they lack at because they're still newcomers but I think that actually suits the show better. I'm trying to do a good job of delivering what they're trying to express rather than demand for certain points.

Q: Kim Hyun-joong, you play the role of Baek Seung-jo who is a genius and good at everything. Don't you feel any pressure in having to play such a role?

Kim: He's someone who is good not only at his studies but at sports too so I have to learn the proper posture even for when he's running in a race. And since I'm supposed to be a genius, I have to be at ease when teaching Jung So-min her studies. So it's very hard. (laugh) I've also been trying to pronounce my words outwardly when saying my lines because I think I mumbled when I did "Boys Over Flowers."

Q: Jung So-min, you took on "Naughty Kiss" right after "Bad Boy." Was this difficult?

Jung: I had a hard time because of that. The shoots overlapped a bit and my two characters were so different that I was having a hard time psychologically because I was worried I might not do well. I think I have been improving now that one is over.

10: Is your character Oh Hani like you in any ways?

Jung: My character Monet from "Bad Boy" was similar to me in a way and I think the same thing about this character as well. It's as if I maximize on the aspects that exist within me to a certain extent.

2010082715344131553_1.jpg

Kim Hyun-joong [Group 8]

Q: All the characters have unrealistic sides to them. What's your interpretation of yours?

Kim Hyun-joong: As much as they're unrealistic, I think I'll be able to show more unique sides to them than I would be able to in conventional dramas. And Baek Seung-jo is a genius so he sometimes uses words that I don't usually use so I have a hard time with those. For scenes related to studying, I need to be natural with it so I actually study those parts and make sure I understand them. I'm doing the studying that I hadn't done in high school for "Naughty Kiss." (laugh)

Q: Which parts are you paying a lot of attention to in order to establish your character? What's the difference between your character now and Yoon Ji-hoo from "Boys Over Flowers"?

Kim: When I acted the role of Yoon Ji-hoo, I tried to become a tender person so I kept myself from even letting out sounds of my breath. But I think I could do a bit more yelling this time. (laugh) I think there'll be scenes where I'll ruin my image and I'm trying to show more of an aggressive disposition because I have to speak in a more rudely than Yoon Ji-hoo did. And I saw the clip that was shown earlier on -- it seems like they've done a good job with the corrections. (laugh)

Q: Have you ever cringed playing the role of a genius who is good at everything? (laugh)

Kim: During yesterday's shoot, there was a scene where Oh Hani says to me, "You're good at everything, running as well..." to which I'll say, "Yes, I'm good at basketball and swimming as well." But I felt a bit embarrassed doing this because I'm not a genius. (laugh)

Q: Singers and actors work in different environments. Have you adjusted well to the set of the drama?

Kim: I'm been trying hard to. Singing is about showing a perfect three minutes and 30 seconds on stage but dramas are about waiting and preparing for long hours and then filming for long hours with the results out on the day of its showing. I think that's why there's more of an excitement about that wait. But I feel more natural as a singer since it's what I've been doing for a long time.

Q: How is it playing the role of a high school student? You've kept on playing that role including in "Boys Over Flowers."

Kim: I had actually thought for a bit before the interview whether this will be my last high school student role. There are certain types of roles that I want to try playing but I want to put that aside for now.

2010082715344131553_2.jpg

Jung So-min [Group 8]

Q: You're being called the next generation Hallyu star. What are your plans regarding your activities in Japan?

Kim: I honestly think there's a bubble to being called that. When I go to Japan, I don't go outside much so I don't know if I'm popular and I don't think I've been able to go to Asia much so far. I heard there are a few fans out there waiting for me (laugh) so no matter how small the number, I would like to go on tour in Asia after the drama ends.

Q: Do you feel that your popularity or life has changed?

Kim: I did back then and I do till now -- I live my life fiercely. I think I should work even harder because an increasing number of talented people are debuting.

Q: What did your agency's chief Bae Yong-jun say about "Naughty Kiss"?

Kim: He said he'd visit the set sometime.

Q: Do you meet him often? What do you talk about when you meet him?

Kim: I think we meet two to three times a week. He said I should work hard at the drama (laugh) and when we meet, I drink green tea and he'll drink coffee. We don't talk too much about work. We talk about stuff that other guys usually do. (laugh)

Q: How far are you into the shoot? I hear there is going to be a scene where you show some skin when Baek Seung-jo and Oh Hani go to the beach. (laugh)

Kim: We've only shot up till the fourth episode now so we haven't done that scene yet. We're leaving to the beach soon and I'll do it if the director asks me too but Baek Seung-jo probably doesn't need to show any skin, does he? (laugh)

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

August 27, 2010

Late Autumn invited to Toronto

1281920139.jpg

South Korean director KIM Tae-Yong’s ambitious Korea-China-US co-production Late Autumn has been officially invited to the 35th Toronto International Film Festival, which opens September 9, 2010. Late Autumn will screen in the World Contemporary Cinema section, joining IM Sang-soo’s The Housemaid in the Gala category and KIM Jee-woon’s I Saw the Devil in the Special Presentations section.

Late Autumn is KIM’s first English-language production, set and filmed in Washington state, and starring the rising pan-Asian Korean actor HYUN Bin and Chinese actress TANG Wei of Lust, Caution. The film is the fourth remake of a lost Korean masterpiece of the same titled by cinematic genius LEE Man-hee, released in 1966. Famed directors KIM Ki-young and KIM Soo-yong made admired remakes in 1975 (Promise of the Flesh) and 1981 (Manchu), respectively.

Following the theme of the original, the story revolves around Anna, a Chinese-American woman imprisoned for murdering her husband, who, while on a 3-day parole meets and falls in love with a Korean-American man on the run. They promise to meet again in two years, but will their promise be kept?

Director KIM is known for his critically acclaimed previous film Family Ties (2006) and his feature debut, the girls high school horror Memento Mori (1999). Late Autumn is a joint production between Korea’s Boram Entertainment, M&FC, and US company North by Northwest. A Korean release is expected in the Fall of 2010.

Credits: Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

August 27, 2010

Korean Remake A Better Tomorrow invited to Venice

20100823000751_0.jpg

Korea’s remake of John Woo's quintessential gangster drama ‘A Better Tomorow’ has been invited for a special out-of-competition screening at the 2010 Venice Film Festival. Directed by SONG Hae-sung (Failan, Maundy Thursday) and starring four major male stars, the film will be released in Korea on September 16.

The original 1986 production set the bench mark for Hong Kong noir style films and helped break Hong Kong films into the international arena. In addition, Hong Kong films are thought to have directly inspired Korean films such as Shiri (1999) the North Korean spy gangster thriller which itself spawned a whole succession of films. Remaking A Better Tomorow then takes the Korean film industry in a full circle. There is so much confidence in the project that even the director of the original Hong Kong film, John Woo, is a producer on the Korean remake.

It has been said of the original A Better Tomorow that it changed the Hong Kong film industry forever. Part of the reason for this may have been the casting of iconic Hong Kong actors Leslie Cheung and Chow Yun Fat. Taking the lead roles in the Korean production are KIM Kang-woo (Ha Ha Ha 2010, Marine Boy 2009), JOO Jin-mo (A Frozen Flower 2008, 200 Pounds Beauty 2006), JO Han-seon (Attack the Gas Station 2 2009, Cruel Winter Blues 2006) and SONG Seung-heon (Fate 2008). The film has secured a coup in casting these four ‘it’ actors already creating a substantial buzz around the production of the remake. JOO plays the boss of the gang involved in shady deals who has lost contact with his young brother Cheol, played by KIM who has now become a police officer. Cheol of course thinking he was originally abandoned by his brother is out for blood, which all leads to the familiar themes of betrayal and honor, and a tragic climax.

Source: KOFIC

Archived