[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 13, 2010

2010081300384_0.jpg

Actor couple Baek Do-bin (left) and Jeong Si-a pose at the opening of the 6th Jecheon Music & Film Festival in the North Chungcheong city on Thursday. They are promotional ambassadors for the festival. /Newsis

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 13, 2010

CJ-JYP-KEYEAST drama "Dream High" to air in January 2011

Cho Bum-ja Editor: Lucia Hong

2010081310054948736_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon and CEO and founder of JYPE Park Jin-young [KEYEAST / JYPE]

Musical TV series "Dream High," being produced jointly by cable unit CJ Media and major talenthouses JYP Entertainment (JYPE) and KEYEAST, will premiere early next year.

A press release from KEYEAST yesterday confirmed that "Dream High" has been set to air on public network KBS starting January 2011.

The three companies had signed a memorandum of understand (MOU) in April, agreeing to establish a production company called Holym to create the upcoming series.

Top Korean star Bae Yong-joon, KEYEAST's major shareholder, will take part in the planning and production of the show, while famed producer Park Jin-young, also the founder and CEO of JYPE, is slated to arrange and produce the music and choreography for the musical numbers.

"Dream High" is about the dreams of students who attend a performing arts school with the storyline to be relayed through song and dance.

KEYEAST works in various aspects of the entertainment industry such as managing celebrities, licensing, planning and producing visual contents and investments. They manage some of the biggest names in Korea including Bae, Lee Na-young and most recently signed with SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong.

JYPE represents focuses its businesses on music production, new artist recruitment, training and management.

Popular K-pop artists including the Wonder Girls, 2PM and new girl group miss A have been discovered and trained by the company.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015 @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 13, 2010

Director Kim Ji Woon: ‘It Is Like Eating Sushi with Less Wasabi’

7478_1512_l.jpg

"About one minute and thirty seconds of the movie was deleted. I tried my best not to ruin the flow of the movie as much as possible when I edited and deleted some parts. It is like eating sushi with less wasabi. I think that it lacks a pungent taste, but it still keeps the taste of the raw fish.” -Director Kim Ji Woon

Director Kim Ji Woon, who directed the movie “I Saw the Devil,” which had aroused controversy as it had been X-rated on the basis that some parts of the movie violate human dignity, explained on August 11 about the process of how the movie could ultimately be rated R by deleting some problematic scenes. He added, “I have produced many movies, but it is the first time that I am so happy simply to be allowed to release one.”

In the press conference held after the preview of the movie in the Megabox in Dongdaemun, he said, “When I deleted some scenes from the original, I worried, 'What if the atrocious revenge became a boring process of revenge?' But, I thought that the deleted scenes generally would not ruin the original composition about the relationship between the two protagonists.”

7478_1513_l.jpg

He continued, "I do not know why those scenes, which could be seen in other movies, suddenly became problematic scenes and were requested to be deleted, but I decided to regard it as a good sign. Maybe it was because two actors’ acting was too powerful and real, so those scenes were shown as more realistic. If I do not think that way, it might upset me.” Kim mentioned other movies such as “Sin City,” "Hannibal,” and “Watchmen,” which contains scenes with human flesh, but had not been rated X, and complained strongly about the evaluation by the Korea Media Rating Board.

The movie “I Saw the Devil” is a story about a special agent in the National Intelligence Service named Kim Soo Hyun (Lee Byung Hun), who lost his fiancée to a cruel murderer, who punishes wicked serial killer Jang Kyung Chul (Choi Min Sik) in horrible ways and at the time, destroys himself by taking revenge on him. As the violent scenes featuring copious amounts of blood continue from the beginning to the end, people with sensitive dispositions might not even be able to watch the movie until the end. Kim said, “I did not make the violence as something to watch, but I made those cruel scenes to express the emotion of a man who attempts revenge with atrocious methods.”

7478_1514_l.jpg

About the comment that the violence contained in a movie can be connected to a copycat crime, actor Choi Min Sik said, “A movie reflects reality. It is not too much to say that we are living in a flood of violence.” When he had recently visited a film festival overseas, he had seen a heated debate about violent movies and he said that it was very impressive. He added, “If horrible violence already exists in our society, I think that it is necessary to openly talk about the violence like this.”

Actor Lee Byung Hun said, “Many people asked me which character represents the devil, but the devil in this movie does not refer to a specific person -- it differs depending on the audience. Usually people feel delighted by watching a movie about vengeance, but this movie is different. Even by watching the movie, people might feel ambivalent about whether vengeance has to be carried out like that.”

The movie “I Saw the Devil” was released on August 12.

Source: KBS Global

August 13, 2010

"Bread" ranks atop TV charts for 10th week

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081308524559995_1.jpg

Korean actor Yoon Si-yoon from the No. 1 series in the country "Bread, Love and Dreams" [KBS]

KBS' hit series "Bread, Love and Dreams" held onto its position as the No. 1 show in the country, ranking atop both TV charts for the 10th consecutive week.

Figures from TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics) on Friday indicated that "Bread," on its 20th episode aired on August 11, brought in viewership ratings of 44.9 percent and 45.2 percent the following night, maintaining ratings in the mid-40 percent range since last week.

The show scored ratings in the 40 percent range on AGB Nielsen Media Research's poll as well -- 42.3 percent on Wednesday and 42.6 percent the next day.

This week's episode showed how Gu Il-joong (Jeon Kwang-ryul) reunits with former lover Kim Mi-soon (Jun Mi-sun) after a car accident and Yoo-kyung (Kim Eugene) falls into the arms of Ma-joon (Joo Won) instead of Tak-koo (Yoon Si-yoon) after getting a complete makeover with Ma-joon's credit card.

New SBS series "My Girlfriend is Gumiho," airing after "Bad Boy" which ended its run last week with ratings in the eight percent range, made its premiere on Wednesday night with ratings of 12.7 percent and 12.6 percent on Thursday, according to statistics by TNS, while seeing ratings of 10.2 percent on August 12 and 10.8 percent last night on AGB's survey

The show has been garnered much hype with for its main cast composed of top Korean singer and actor Lee Seung-gi, whose drama "Shining Inheritance" last year was a smash hit, and famed model and actress Shin Min-ah.

MBC's war epic "Road No. 1," starring Hallyu star So Ji-sub and Kim Ha-neul, continued to fall behind with low ratings.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 13, 2010

Jang Dong-gun Hollywood debut pic to open in US in Dec

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok Editor: Lucia Hong

2010081313012452813_1.jpg

Movie poster of "The Warrior's Way" [Wellmade Star M]

Top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun's first Hollywood debut film "The Warrior's Way" will open in theaters in North America on December 3, according to the film's investor Wellmade Star M on Friday.

"The Warrior's Way," helmed and written by Lee Seung-moo, is a Western fantasy film based on a swordsman named Yang, played by Jang, who flees to a forgotten American town in the west to escape his bloody past but gets caught up in a battle with a local group of bandits.

The movie cast also includes some of Hollywood's biggest names including Kate Bosworth, Danny Huston and Geoffrey Rush. American firm Relativity Media, co-producers of Hollywood blockbusters "Salt" (2010) starring Angelina Jolie and "Public Enemies" (2009) starring Johnny Depp, had bought the distribution rights for "The Warrior's Way" in the US in July.

Wellmade Star M is a Korea-based talent management agency in charge of the careers of actors Ha Ji-won and Kim Nam-joo but the firm ventured into television and movie production starting 2007 through "The Warrior's Way," where they have invested 10 million dollars.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave @ Editor: Lucia Hong luciahong @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 13, 2010

[PHOTO] Andre Kim wake service

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081315043030490_1.jpg

Choi Ji-woo [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Choi Ji-woo arrives at late Korean fashion designer Andre Kim's wake service being held at Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul, South Korea on August 12, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010081314581071917_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Choi Si-won of boy band Super Junior arrives at late Korean fashion designer Andre Kim's wake service being held at Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul, South Korea on August 12, 2010.

2010081314581071917_2.jpg

Choi Si-won, A Ra, Lee Soo-man [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, Korean singer and actor Choi Si-won of boy band Super Junior, actress A Ra and SM Entertainment founder Lee Soo-man arrive at late Korean fashion designer Andre Kim's wake service being held at Seoul National University Hospital in Seoul, South Korea on August 12, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 13, 2010

Remembering Andre Kim, 'the magician from fairyland'

Veteran fashion designer Andre Kim, who died of pneumonia Thursday, aged 74, left some unforgettable, significant traces in fashion history.

Born Kim Bong-nam in Gupabal-ri in Goyang city, which is now included in Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul, on Aug. 24, 1935, Kim started to show his extraordinary talents as a teen, when he enjoyed sketching women in graceful dresses. “There was no such word as ‘fashion’ or ‘designer’ at the time. I opened my eyes to clothes and art through movies,” Kim said in a TV interview in May 2006.

After graduating Hanyoung High School, Kim studied fashion at Kukje Fashion Design Academy and made his debute as a fashion designer in 1962, at the age of 27. He opened his boutique “Salon Andre” in Sogong-dong, the same year.

Kim was in the limelight from the very beginning of his career, being the first and only male designer for a long time. Kim carved his own path as a designer, proving how beautiful Western dresses created by a man could look on Korean women by dressing top actresses in the 1960s such as Eom Aeng-ran. His glamorous gowns and wedding dresses were soon acknowledged around the world -- particularly after a successful fashion show in Paris in 1966. His creations were accorded rave reviews from French fashion editors, including one at Le Figaro who called him a “Magician from Fairyland.”

Korea at the time was still a “hermit kingdom” to many countries around the world. Andre Kim was one of the first Koreans to put the country on the world map.

After that pioneering step, Kim held fashion shows at least a couple times every year in major cities around the globe, including Washington, D.C., New York, Honolulu, Singapore, Jakarta and Los Angeles.

Kim became more adventurous as the years passed and chose exotic locations for his fashion shows that were known for their elements of fantasy. He was the first fashion designer ever to stage a gala fashion parade in front of the Pyramids and the Sphinx in Egypt, in 1996. The show was given the honor of the rare presence of Madam Susan Mubarak, the First Lady of the country. He also held a show in front of another world-famous landmark, Ankor Wat in Cambodia, ten years later. The only cultural event held in Ankor Wat until then had been a performance by Jose Carreras in 2002.

Wherever the venue was, Kim mesmerized the audience with his stunning shows. They were known for featuring the top celebrities of the moment, including actresses Lee Young-ae, Kim Hee-seon, Han Chae-young, Kim Tae-hee, actors Jang Dong-gun, Song Seung-heon, Lee Byung-heon and even sports stars Lee Seung-yub and Lee Dong-guk. Showbiz insiders used to say that one finally gets approved as a star only after being featured as the main model at Andre Kim’s shows.

“Professional models are chic but they have limits in expressing feelings. Actors and actresses, on the other hand, can touch the audience by offering a dramatic show,” Kim said.

Up until his last show held in Beijing in March, Kim scrupulously took care of every single detail.

20100813001256_0.jpg

He died on Thursday from complications of pneumonia and colorectal cancer, at the age of 74. (Park Hae-mook/The Korea Herald)

“A fashion show is a total art. It should move the audience’s hearts as if they were watching the highlight scenes of an opera or a musical. That is why I personally write the scenarios, mix the background music and direct all of my shows. At the final rehearsal, I teach the models how they should act and make their facial expressions,” Kim said in May 2005.

For his splendid works and efforts to promote fashion, Kim was honored by numerous organizations during his lifetime.

20100813001257_0.jpg

Finalists of the "2010 Super Model Competition" come to pay respect to the late fashion icon Andre Kim at the Seoul National University Hospital on Friday. (Park Hae-mook/The Korea Herald)

Kim was selected as the main designer for the Miss Universe Competition in 1980, designed the Korean national team’s uniforms for the 1988 Seoul Olympics and was invited by the International Olympic Committee to stage shows for the Olympics in Barcelona and Atlanta.

He was awarded the Order of Cultural Merits by the government in 1977, received the Culture medal from the President of Italy in 1982, and the Art and Literature medal from the French government in 2000. The mayor of San Francisco even declared Nov. 16 and Oct. 18 as “Andre Kim Day,” in 1999 and 2003, respectively.

His name became more of a brand in his later days. Kim had cultivated the Andre Kim brand, associated with luxury and romanticism, by lending his name to a wide range of goods including golf wear, eye wear, jewelry, underwear, children’s clothing, bedding, home lighting, porcelain dishware, household appliances, wallpaper, and even credit cards.

“The name is being used in various realms but I have a principle of collaborating with only the companies that fit into the image of my designs. Some private lenders and tobacco companies recently made some offers but I declined them,” he said in an interview with a local newspaper in May, 2009.

The designer Andre Kim was very thorough at work, reading 19 newspapers and watching news from five different channels every morning. But Andre Kim as a private person was rather artless and pure.

The lobby scandal in 1999 -- in which Lee Hyung-ja, wife of Sindonga Group president Choi Sun-young was alleged to have lobbied wives of high-profile figures with expensive garments -- unexpectedly reversed the public’s prejudices about the nation’s most famous designer that he must have made a fortune selling overpriced clothes to the wealthy.

At the hearings, which Kim had to go through because garments he designed were involved in the scandal, it was revealed that Kim only used fabrics made in Korea, was an honest tax payer and that he still worked in a rented boutique.

“I learned a big lesson from the scandal, that there is always a good end if the person is honest. No matter how unfairly you are treated, or how much you suffer from misunderstanding, it will be turned into a blessing and truth will be revealed in the end if you hang in there, being honest,” Kim said, ten years after the scandal blew over.

Kim became more of a celebrity after the scandal, in a good way. The public felt closer to Kim -- partly because his rather rustic real name was revealed during the hearing -- and everything about him was the talk of town, from his makeup, hairstyle to the way he decks out in all-white, something he maintained since 1974. His unique way of speaking, especially, inspired many comedians. “I found it a bit unpleasant at first, because I thought they were ridiculing me. But seeing people racing toward me to ask for my autograph whenever I went out, I feel like I am becoming a star. Now I consider it as a sort of popularity. Although I cannot find one who perfectly mimics me, yet,” he would say with a laugh.

He never married but adopted an 18-month-old boy in 1982. Kim Jung-do, his adopted son, was the designer’s treasure. Kim received attention for how hard he cried the day his son married in February 2004.

The fashion maestro still had more dreams to pursue and believed he would live longer, just as his fans had also hoped for. “Georgio Armani, who is one year older than me, still actively works without having named a successor. I think I can focus on creating my works for at least the next 10 years. And then I will think of naming a successor,” he said in an interview last year.

“Later on, I would like to make a documentary movie about ‘Andre Kim.’ It would be great to leave a record of my fashion world.”

By Park Min-young (claire@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 13, 2010

Actress Kim creates stir over inappropriate wardrobe at funeral

Top actress Kim Hee-sun is getting furious reactions from Internet users who criticized her for an “inappropriate” scarf that she wore while paying her respects to the late Andre Kim.

20100813001276_0.jpg

Actress Kim Hee-sun. (SPN)

Internet users caught the photo of Kim wearing a scarf dotted with skulls, while she was sobbing at the top designer’s funeral in Seoul. The photo quickly spread over the Web, inviting harsh criticism from netizens.

20100813001277_0.jpg

Screen capture from SBS

Meanwhile, TV show anchor Song Ji-hyo’s laugh over her own pronunciation mistake, while covering Andre Kim’s death on an SBS entertainment program, also created controversy among netizens whether it should have been avoided.

Immediately after the laugh, Song repeatedly said she was sorry.

Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100813000659

August 14, 2010

2010081400271_0.jpg

Son Ye-jin (left) and Lee Byung-hun pose at the APN Awards in Jecheon, North Chungcheong Province on Friday.

2010081400271_1.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com, more photos at innolife.net

7184_9.jpg

7184_10.jpg

Director Bong Joon Ho, Son Ye Jin and Lee Byung Hun - winners of 5th APN Award

August 14, 2010

Actress Kong Hyun-joo Finds Fulfillment in Flowers

2010081400264_1.jpg

Kong Hyun-joo

Actress Kong Hyun-joo's passion for her new profession as a florist has captured the imagination of fans.

Kong has become a floral designer for parties, weddings, TV shows and magazines, as well as a flower columnist. "Looking at beautiful flowers makes me happy," she says. "The pleasure of being a florist is that I can spread that happiness around."

After KBS TV drama "You Are My Destiny," Kong moved to Britain to train at the McQueens Floristry School. She also learned flower art from world-famous Japanese florist Naoki Sasaki.

More recently she participated in a charity program and donated the entire proceeds from sales of her work to Join Together Society, which is committed to fighting global poverty, disease and illiteracy.

Kong, who started in entertainment in the 2001 Super Elite Model contest, has appeared in a number of TV dramas such as "You Are My Destiny," "Flower for My Life," and "Golden Bride."

2010081400264_2.jpg

2010081400264_3.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 15, 2010

Film director Park dies of cancer

201008150948341118_1.jpg

Promising film director Park Sung-bum, who made his debut with bouncy comedy “My Girl’s Boy” in 2007, died of spinal cord cancer early Sunday morning. He was 41.

He was diagnosed with the cancer, while preparing for his third film, and passed away in one year of fighting against the cancer.

He was acclaimed for his 2009 work, “Something to Do Before Dying,”which is regarded as the first one-man-style film in Korea. His debut film was not a hit, only regarded as the one to open the possibility for success.

Born in Daejeon in 1969, he majored in study of play and movie at the graduate school of media communications at Sogang University.

His body is laid at Shincheon Union Hospital in Siheung, Gyeonggi Province, and funeral service will be held at Byeokje Cremation Center in northern Gyeonggi Province Tuesday.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr, news.nate.com

August 15, 2010

Lee in ‘G.I. Joe’ sequel; Jang in ‘Warrior’s Way’

By JONATHAN M. HICAP

leebyunghun-jang.jpg

Lee Byung-hun (left) as 'Storm Shadow' in 'G.I. Joe' and Jang Dong-gun.

(Photos courtesy of Paramount Pictures and KBS)

Two of Korea’s most popular actors will be in the Hollywood scene, one to shoot a sequel of a blockbuster movie while the other will debut in his first American film.

Actor Lee Byung-hun announced recently that the filming for the sequel of the Hollywood blockbuster action film “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” will start early next year. Byung-hun is expected to reprise his role as “Storm Shadow” in the sequel. Stephen Sommers is reportedly going back to direct the film.

“G.I. Joe” grossed $302 million in the United States and worldwide when it was released last year, according to site Box Office Mojo. It earned $54.71 million on its opening weekend and ranked No. 1.

On the other hand, hunk actor Jang Dong-gun will make his Hollywood debut through the film “Warrior’s Way” that will be shown in the US starting on Dec. 3. The fantasy action movie tells about the story of Yang (played by Jang Dong-gun), a warrior who goes to Western America to escape his past. Jang is joined in the movie by actress Kate Bosworth, Geoffrey Rush and Danny Huston.

The $40-million film was produced by Barrie Osborne, producer of the “Lord of the Rings.”

Source: mb.com.ph

August 16, 2010

Kim Jung-eun performs at JIMFF

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081611140707682_1.jpg

Kim Jung-eun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Actress Kim Jung-eun, starring in new SBS TV series "I am a Legend" as a member of rock band Comeback Madonna, performs on the opening night of the 6th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival at the city of Jecheon in North Chungcheong Province , South Korea on August 12, 2010.

2010081611140707682_2.jpg

Kim Jung-eun and fan [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, a fan and actress Kim Jung-eun, starring in new SBS TV series "I am a Legend" as a member of rock band Comeback Madonna, hug on the opening night of the 6th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival at the city of Jecheon in North Chungcheong Province, South Korea on August 12, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 16, 2010

Mourning Over Andre Kim’s Death

7479_1515_l.jpg

The late Andre Kim is talking with the actress Kim Hee Sun at the fashion show held in Seoul in 2001.

People in the entertainment industry were mourning over the news of Andre Kim’s death while saying, “A great star in Korea has fallen.”

The late Kim had been involved in the entertainment industry and formed close family-like relationships with many stars during his life. In particular, actors such as Kim Hee Sun, Cha In Pyo, Jang Seo Hee, Choi Ji woo, Ryu Si Won, and Cha Seung Won had shared special affection for Kim and each other for a long time, and they had been loved by fans for appearing on the catwalk at Kim’s fashion shows, and they looked deeply shocked by the news that Kim had passed away on August 12.

Actress Kim Hee Sun, who has been remembered as the symbol of the Andre Kim’s fashion shows as she has appeared on his runway from early years, was unable to talk due to the shocking news delivered to her regarding Kim's passing. Kim Hee Sun’s manager said, “She keeps crying while repeatedly saying, ‘It is hard to believe.’ Since she had a special relationship with the late Kim, she seems to have difficulty accepting his death.” He continued, “When he had been hospitalized, she had tried to visit him, but she could not go to the hospital as he had refused her visit. After she had heard that he had been getting better, she had been relieved, but this sudden sad news made her grieve.”

Actor Cha In Pyo, who had walked the runway for Kim's shows right after he finished his military service in 1997 until 2007, said, “He had been very diligent and he had taken a great role by performing people-to-people diplomatic activities. But, as he had to create something alone in a fancy fashion world, sometimes he looked so lonely. He should have lived longer and done many more things. I am so sad.”

7479_1516_l.jpg

At Andre Kim’s fashion show to present artistic costumes entitled “Starry Night in the Palace” held at Duk Soo Palace, actors Bae Soo Bin and Jang Seo Hee are revealing a big smile after finishing the show.

Actress Jang Seo Hee became close with Andre Kim when the MBC TV drama “Miss Mermaid,” in which she appeared, gained huge popularity in 2002, and she garnered the first star prize that Andre Kim established. She mourned his death by saying, “How did he pass away like this? At first, he had contacted me to say that he was enjoying my drama, and then I appeared in his fashion show four or five times consecutively until 2003. Since then, I participated in the runway of his show once a year and kept up our relationship. He was a very thoughtful person who always took care of me.”

Actress Choi Ji Woo, who used to end the finale of Andre Kim’s shows with a flourish, also could not speak a word, in shock after listening to the news of Kim’s death that her manager delivered. Choi Ji Woo’s manager also said, “The late Kim used to call her and even monitor Choi’s works. After he entered the hospital, Choi Ji Woo made phone calls several times and tried to visit him, but she received the reply saying he was in the intensive care unit, and visiting was not allowed. Recently, we heard that he was getting better and that we would be contacted when he moved to the general ward. But, he passed away.”

Actor Jung Joon Ho, who used to appear on the catwalks at Kim's overseas fashion shows held in cities like Hawaii and Shanghai, said, “A patriot who had spread Korean culture to the world has passed away. I heard that he was ill, but I did not know that he would pass away this soon.”

Actor Cha Seung Won said, “He was such a great person. He was a great person not only in terms of a designer, but also in terms of everything. He did and accomplished many things that no one else could achieve. He is a symbolic person. He cultivated the wasteland of the Korean fashion industry and made the entire world know about Korean fashion. He was lively and full of energy until the last moment. I think that every person in the fashion industry will mourn over his death.”

7479_1517_l.jpg

Korean star actors are showcasing wedding dresses at the fashion show entitled “Sydney 2000 Andre Kim Fashion Fantasia,” which was held to celebrate the hosting of the Sydney Olympics at the Sydney Town Hall.

Actor Ryu Si Won said, “Since my debut, I appeared on the catwalk of the late Andre Kim’s fashion shows and he had made many costumes for me. I walked the runway at the Hallyu Expo held in Japan in 2004, and I met him at an event hall early this year and it was the last time that I saw him. He always told me, ‘You have a smile that no one else has.’ He was a great culture envoy who had spread Korean fashion to the entire world. He always comes to mind when we think about Korean fashion designers. He was a national fashion designer who let the entire world know about Korea with graceful clothes, adding to Korean traditional beauty. He was a very warm and delicate person who also actively participated in volunteer activities and did many good deeds secretly. He was a simple person without monetary desire, and he was generous even understanding the public, who imitated his way of speaking and made fun of it. He embraced everyone from the young to the old. He was very thoughtful and gave as much love as possible to people who formed a relationship with him.”

Actress Han Chae young and actor Bae Soo Bin, who participated in the fashion show of the late Kim as models between 2008 and 2009, also expressed their sorrow over his death. Han Che Young said, “He had shown full enthusiasm and energy on the stage, and he presented himself with delicate and warm consideration off the stage. When I think about him, I can remember his warmness, and it was such an honor and happiness for me that I could walk in his show and work together with him.” Bae Soo Bin said, “I met him last year during summer and that was the last time. At that time, his health was not good, but he had recovered very soon. So, I thought that he might be getting better this time again. I am very sad that this great person who marked a new era in the Korean fashion industry passed away.”

Singer Shin Seung Hoon said, “He made a costume for me when I had to participate in an important award ceremony. At that time, he lavished praise on me by saying, ‘You are always striving when singing and it looks great.’ Also, when he came to my concert to listen to my songs, he used to stay in his seat until the last moment. He had very good manners. I feel regret and sad because he had an influence not only on fashion, but also on other sectors including culture, entertainment, and broadcasting as a whole.”

In addition, a member of the group SG Wannabe Kim Yong Joon, who appeared on the catwalk of Andre Kim’s fashion show benefit with his girlfriend and actress Hwang Jung Eum last October, said, “I had worried at that time because he had become worn out, but at the same time, I had been surprised for his thoroughness in checking the stage direction to the models’ walking.”

7479_1518_l.jpg

Actress Choi Ji Woo presents splendid performance at the fashion show

stage held at the Grand Hyatt to celebrate the ‘2007 UNICEF Support Night.’

He added, “I remember that he told me that models also had to act on stage with a tragic love towards their partner. When I did that, following what he told me, my eyes were really filled with tears. After the show, Kim smiled at me and kindly patted me on the back.”

Singer Jang Na Ra, who appeared at the Andre Kim fashion show held in Shanghai China in last year April, said, “I remember that he gave beneficial advice to me when I had no experience on the runway. Whenever my father acted in theater, Andre Kim came to the theater and used to sit at the front and watch the play. He was a pioneer in the Korean fashion and culture industry, so his sudden passing made me shocked and really sad.”

A member of the group Shinee, Min Ho, appeared in Andre Kim’s fashion show as the youngest model, and he expressed his sadness, “I am very sad that this greatly beloved star in Korean culture has fallen. I really regret that I did not visit him more often during his lifetime, and it makes my heart ache more.”

Group 2PM member Nichkhun, who walked the runway of Andre Kim’s fashion show held for the restoration of Namdaemun last year in April, delivered a message through his agency, “When I appeared on the catwalk of his show, I felt honored. Since I came from a foreign country, I could feel the Korean beauty more than anyone else when I looked at his piece of work. I really wish that he will rest in peace.”

Singer Kim Joon, a member of the group T-MAX, gained popularity by appearing in the drama ‘Boys Over Flowers,” and he appeared on the catwalk of Kim's fashion show held in spring last year. He said, “He asked me to appear in his fashion show again this year and I feel bad that I cannot keep that promise. I heard that he had gotten better, so I feel despondent about the news of his death. He was a really thorough professional at the fashion show, but he was also a very attentive person, like a father, toward the novice models who did not have much experience.”

Source: KBS Global

August 16, 2010

Opening ceremony of the 6th JIMFF

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo Reporter: Lee Ji-Hye Photographer: Chae ki-won Editor: Jang Kyung-Jin Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081611235604806_1.jpg

From left, Korean rock band YB lead vocalist Yoon Do-hyun and actress Kim Jung-eun emcee at the opening ceremony of the 6th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival held at the city of Jecheon in North Chungcheong Province, South Korea on August 12, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

After having seen several nights of summer nights hot enough to melt the asphalt on the ground, rock artist Yoon Do-hyun and actress Kim Jung-eun, emcees of the opening ceremony of the 6th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival, brought a cool breeze with them. The wind, fresh and clear enough to cool down the heat from the daytime, did not stop blowing until the end of the opening ceremony. The event which took place ahead of 84 films from 26 countries meeting the audience, was a miniature version of this year's JIMFF.

While the performance by gayageums, or Korean zithers, hit a high on both music and film simultaneously with renditions of music from movies "Bunjee Jumping of Their Own" and "Mamma Mia!", the band performance by 1st generation Korean jazz artists, the main characters to film "Bravo! Jazz Life" to be screened at the fest, was a rare sight which can only be seen at the JIMFF. The jamming by the musicians who still have fun on stage even if their "teeth are no longer fully intact" and their fellow musicians have passed away, was not plainly a performance but rather a walk through their history.

It was past 10 p.m. by the time the ending credits rolled up for opening film "The Concert." But that was when the temperature around Cheongpung Lake started to rise -- because of band Comeback Madonna. The cast of new SBS TV series "I am a Legend," including Kim Jung-eun, Hong Ji-min, Juni, Jang Shin-young and Lee Jun-hyuk, gave back hugs and took photographs with the audience who had stuck around into the late night, as well as putting on a show worthy of the long time they spent rehearsing for it.

Then, the brilliant lights turned off and the stage closed its curtains. But the festival is just getting started. If you have yet to go on your summer vacation, do not hesitate. Jecheon is not as far as you think and the summer is short.

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo eight@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 16, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong joins Bae Yong-joon for Japanese project

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081612524789405_1.jpg

Korean actor and singer Kim Hyun-joong (left) and Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon (right) [KEYEAST]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong will take part in a Japanese project with Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, according to their agency KEYEAST on Monday.

KEYEAST announced in a press release that Kim will be joining Bae for the “Miso Project,” aimed at helping the future of children in Asia, which was set up by Japan’s Digital Adventure TV (DATV). This will be the first official event that Kim and Bae will be attending together.

The first series of the "Miso Project" titled "Message! to Asia" will be held at the Tokyo Dome on December 14 with other stars in participation including Japanese singer GACKT and Vanness Wu.

The "Miso Project" is a contribution-based philanthropy project which with the help of non-profit organization KnK (Kokkyo naki Kodomotachi), they will donate the money to underprivileged children in Cambodia and the Philippines.

"The two stars have willingly agreed to take part in this long-term project to put smiles back on the faces of the children in Asia," an official from KEYEAST explained, adding that they are hoping more children find hope and happiness through this event.

Bae, 34, has made numerous donations to various organizations in Asia including 300 million won to the tsunami victims in 2005 as well as handing funds raised from an environment-themed photo spread to a UNEP committee. Recently, the actor began delivering medical treatments for premature babies and newborns in various cities in Japan as well as making donations to other Asian countries.

Kim, 23, the leader of boy band SS501, signed an exclusive contract with KEYEAST in late June. He has done charity work with SS501 in the past where the group gave the proceeds from their concert to single mothers and families in the Philippines. He has also participated in several campaigns and benefit concerts while members of his fan clubs have also made donations to different charities under the K-pop idol's name.

Kim is currently shooting the Korean adaptation of TV series "Itazura na Kiss," originally based on a popular Japanese comic, opposite Korean actress Jung So-min. The show will premiere on MBC on September 1.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 16, 2010

'Once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity: cord blood collection

20100816_1281939883_50387700_2.jpg

Medipost, an innovative company leading Korea's biotechnology sector, announced Monday that celebrity couples, including Jang Dong-gun-Ko So-young and Jung Jo-gook-Kim Seong-eun couples, have registered for cord blood banking.

Jang and Ko decided to sign up for the cord blood storage plan two months prior to the birth of their child, a company spokesman said.

Unlike other plans which store the cord blood for 15 to 20 years, “Celltree Noblesse,” the package that Jang and Ko selected is to keep the blood for the entire lifetime of their child, according to the spokesman.

This particular package has only recently been released, so about 100 people are registered for it across the nation.

Cord blood, the blood that remains in your baby's umbilical cord after the it has been cut, is a rich source of unique stem cells that can be used in medical treatments, doctors say. The blood is immediately discarded after childbirth if the parents do not decide to collect it and store it in an appropriate laboratory.

Like bone marrow, cord blood is an invaluable source of a type of stem cell to regenerate healthy blood and immune cells in cancer patients. It is used to cure 80 serious diseases, including leukemia, cancers, and blood disorders.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

August 16, 2010

Major distributors to jointly promote Im Kwon-taek's 101st film

By Kim Hyun

201008161528779736_1.jpg

SEOUL, Aug. 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's three major distributors have joined hands to promote veteran director Im Kwon-taek's ongoing production of "Hanji" in a tribute to the celebrated filmmaker, the distributors' joint press release said Monday.

In an unprecedented case, Lotte Entertainment, Showbox and CJ Entertainment will team up for the investment, distribution and promotion of Im's 101st film slated to be released in November, it said. The distributors said the joint project "comes as our expression of admiration and respect for the virtuoso and director, Im Kwon-taek, and carries the significance that it will be setting the springboard for the future of Korean cinema."

"Hanji," named after Korea's traditional handmade paper, tells the story of people who try to restore the sole surviving collection of Joseon Dynasty's royal records, Sillok, at a storage facility in the southern town of Jeonju after all of the other storages were destroyed during the 16th century invasions by Japan. With a 2 billion won (US$1.7 million) production budget, the film stars Park Joong-hoon, Kang Soo-hyun and Ye Ji-won.

Im left a landmark in Korean cinema history, with such films as "Sopyonje" (1993) and "Chunhyang" (2000), which delved into Korean folklore and sentiments, masterfully incorporating traditional Korean musical art of pansori. His 2002 film about a historic painter, "Chihwaseon," earned him the Best Director award at the Cannes Film Festival. He also received an honorary Golden Bear award at the Berlin Film Festival in 2005. His reputation, however, hasn't always translated into marketability. His 100th film released in 2007, "Beyond the Years," had difficulty finding producers and its production almost evaporated at one point.

The three distributors said they "share the view that Im's films are not only a personal achievement but Korea's cherished cultural asset, so it should be completed and released by any means if only for the development of the Korean movie industry."

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

August 17, 2010

[JIMFF] Ku Hye-sun has affection and respect as talent

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk

2010081709282485049_1.jpg

Ku Hye-sun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Of the directors that made it into the 'Korean Music Film Now' section of the 6th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival, Ku Hye-sun is probably the most well-recognized.

This actress, who is so versatile that she has also published a book, held an art exhibition, does music and has even taken on the challenge of making a movie which is considered the most comprehensive form of art, is the reason why she is envied quite so often.

But she is someone who puts her love for the artistic genres before talent. "'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' from 'Conspiracy Theory' is a classic. And 'The Way You look tonight' from 'My Best Friend's Wedding' is one of my favorite songs, "she says excitedly purely from a fan's point-of-view as she talks about film music from movies starring Julia Roberts, an actress she likes.

Of the various talents she has, such affection and respect are probably the greatest and most important.

Reporter: Wee Geun-woo eight @ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Archived