Auditions for SM

Guest sujukawaii

Guest Ella_Kwan

It's that if your mixed with asian it's okay be/c this one girl (forgot name) is signed to sm & she's mixed... I'm not sure if your chinese, you have to speak mando be/c hong kong is where all the money is actually at & in h.k. they speak canto. (i'm sayin that be/c i can only speak canto. & very little mando.)

No matter what your made up of, it really comes down to the qustion ARE YOU REALLY GREAT? If your really talented, then all of these barriers won't stop them from signing you... :)

---Edit----

YEAH!!! I OWN THE SECOND PAGE!!! HEEEHEE (i'm such a nerd!) :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sweet_hunny

Well to be in SM you have to be Asian or have Korean blood in you like the SM actress Isak who's half Korean/German (formally of ISAK+JIYEON). Also make sure you have talent where you either sing or act or do anything that SM has in their division and as long as you have talent, they may put you into the Starlight academy if you're a young trainee I think with vocal training, dancing and etc (where a lot of currents SM singers started in like Junsu from DBSK and EunHyuk from SuJu). But Lee Soo Man created a new strategy since he wants to break out SM entertainment in China called the "Blue Ocean Project" where Chinese singers or actors (mainly the ones that speak Mando since that's the national language for China) break out into Korea to market them as well as Korean singers or actors breaking into the Chinese market.

Guest lilxtiffstah

oh so SM is like looking for chinese people now?

puahaha i think i should try out or something.

Guest saranghaeoppah!

i would personally think SM would want to take more females, especially females who can speak english, mandrochinese, japanese, french, etc. with their native language (of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) because when you look in the korean industry, there are approx. 2 koreans i know that can speak korean and english flunetly, and about 10 guys who can speak korean and english fluently, and 4 guys who can speak chinese and korean fluently.

Guest melody_heart

if we can speak korean or chinese or both, do you guys think we can go to the audtion??

edit: ups, i mean, if we aren't korean or chinese but we can speak korean or chinese, do you think we can go to the audtion:P

Guest Ella_Kwan

i would personally think SM would want to take more females, especially females who can speak english, mandrochinese, japanese, french, etc. with their native language (of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) because when you look in the korean industry, there are approx. 2 koreans i know that can speak korean and english flunetly, and about 10 guys who can speak korean and english fluently, and 4 guys who can speak chinese and korean fluently.

But the thing with that is that SM NOW has ALOT of female trainees from the states, so they got girls who knows eng. & korean. BUT i think it would be more impressive to them if you know eng., korean, & chinese, thats more wantable. <~~(werid word :P )

if we can speak korean or chinese or both, do you guys think we can go to the audtion??

edit: ups, i mean, if we aren't korean or chinese but we can speak korean or chinese, do you think we can go to the audtion:P

I THINK, this is my thought on this matter... I SAY NEVER GIVE UP! Umm.... i would honestly think, no, be/c they JUST finally broke into the FULL asian market & korea is now just slowly accepting chinese & japanese people, so it would be kinda hard for a non-asian to do it, as it's kinda hard for a non-korean to do it also.

BUT Honestly, we dont know what might happen, this is just a possiblity & that IF YOUR REALLY GOOD ENOUGH then they might consider it but i'm not them, so idk...

BUT in Hong Kong, they are kinda accpeting non-asains, this really big band called "SOLOR" & they aren't any part asian! but they made it...

SO I SAY TRY, IF THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT & THE POSSIBLITYS ARE ENDLESS... :) HOPE THIS HELP :)

Guest appledapple

I don't think there is an age limit but if your over 25 your chances of getting in will probably be close to none. They probably prefer people from 13 to 18 years old. SM is mainly looking for Korean & Chinese kids. You need to be Asian, obviously. What would they do with a Caucasian person? ^^

They actually already handled promoting a Caucasian person, Edward Adam Brown of Golbangyi years ago.

And the cutoff for SM is 23, btw.

To the original poster:

I say nothing is impossible but, if you're a non-traditional artist, you need to look for non-traditional avenues for promoting yourself.

Right now Korean companies are mostly into Korean, Chinese and Japanese for the obvious crossover reasons. Doesn't mean something is impossible, though :) Try, you may end up the one who makes it. Good luck!

Guest reverie_

^aww dont be too sad about it...

you dont always have to audition for SM :unsure:

why not in america or other countries?

Guest xiahukno

why are you guys hesitant to audition because of the "limits?" just go for it. they arent going to tell you you can't audition. so just go, have fun, prepare good stuff and if they see potential they'll take you. if you have amazing good talent, they arent going to let you slip just because your purple or blue or half turquoise. (^^ i put a little humor in it...)

and especially with SM, if they see someone they want, they'll do ANYTHING to get them. i think this will go for any other companies. i'm sure when isak auditioned, SM wasn't planning on signing a "white" girl to the company. but since she's pretty and tehy thought she got what tehy wanted, they signed her.

YOU guys can be the next exception/isak. break in the business. go for your goals. dont let what other people think and waht you think the "limits" are stop you. barriers were made to be broken. be the leader and not the follower. ^^ good luck to you all!

Guest Ella_Kwan

why are you guys hesitant to audition because of the "limits?" just go for it. they arent going to tell you you can't audition. so just go, have fun, prepare good stuff and if they see potential they'll take you. if you have amazing good talent, they arent going to let you slip just because your purple or blue or half turquoise. (^^ i put a little humor in it...)

and especially with SM, if they see someone they want, they'll do ANYTHING to get them. i think this will go for any other companies. i'm sure when isak auditioned, SM wasn't planning on signing a "white" girl to the company. but since she's pretty and tehy thought she got what tehy wanted, they signed her.

YOU guys can be the next exception/isak. break in the business. go for your goals. dont let what other people think and waht you think the "limits" are stop you. barriers were made to be broken. be the leader and not the follower. ^^ good luck to you all!

YEP!!! AGREE!!!!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!!

how about other races??? :(

Yg family signs alot of Americans & they speak ALOT of english there... thats an option (sp?) but dont let limits hold you back... :)

Guest I_broke_a_nail!

okay let me say a couple of things:

(1) personally, i THINK they want you to know Korean or at least a bit because its a KOREAN industry. Not that they want you to focus mainly on Korea but... think about, how else would you speak with the fellow trainers and trainees?

(2) its a new hot thing to get someone OUTSIDE the korean race because it has been difficult for the Korean industry to tap into the Chinese and Taiwanese country.

(3) Wouldn't they like mixed asian people? or was that Bros. Entertainment?

(4) to (infinity)--- DON'T GIVE UP!! 2 people (a girl and a boy) IN MY SCHOOL ALONE was accepted by SM entertainment on their first try. The girl is korean and speaks english and korean fluently-- but she had some 5 years experience with acting, singing, and dancing at my school... plus she's gorgeous with hard earned talent... she was a shoe-in i thought.

The guy doesn't sing so well. But he has such a BRIGHT personality. He could dance and rap very well. and to top it off, his face is nice lol. he is half korean and chinese but speaks the BASICS of korean and fluent english, mandarin, and cantonese. (OMG, he got his reply MUCH earlier than the girl. he got a reply one week and a half after he submitted)

Just tryyyyy... seriously... NOT TO BE MEAN, but no matter how good you are, SM Entertainment aren't going to fly a plane to your hometown to scout you all the way in America. Send a tape and try-- sent it to ALL the top companies- JYP, YG, SM, BROS (only if you're korean).

---> I BELIEVVVVEEE IN YOU GUYS. but remember when you get famous.. after you win your award or something, say "i would like to thank my family and friends ESPECIALLY CLUTZYSHELL FROM SOOMPI, if it wasn't for her, i wouldn't have the guts to try out for an agency"

^ that's RIGHT!!

Guest jasmine_korea

Let me straight this: they looking for asian ppl and it must be just a miracle to let non-asian ppl come to korean industry. at least now.

We (non-eastern asian) shouldn't really think about that ,maybe just a try isn't that bad. but im sure there were so many ppl befor us that tried to be on SM since its a great company.

But i heard some1 said they just don't care about demos except if you have a relative or some1 who knows you.Thats just mean i believe. For me i can understand korean but i don't really speak cuz im always afraid of messing up. U know its just really mean to not accept you just becouse you don't look korean.

Guest ~S2~

Hey guys I reccomend other ents too. You ahve a better chance and youwon't get rumoured so much. Liek goodent DSP etc

Guest ulynn

dont give up too!.

im chinese. but i speak more of eng than chi.

and i just got a reply from sm saying that my email aud is accepted.

but they said they'll inform me later personally if im gg to be accepted.

so i'm kida lost.

on whether they'll only contact me if im gg to be accepted. or at least let me know if im nt . =X

i think they're looking for more chinese. cause after all hankyung from sj and vanness are doing quite well. so i dont really think race matters.

as long as you've got what they'll looking for. NO HARD TRYING!. at least u wont regret next time and start thinking of IFs =DD

Guest baybiifusion

^ that's what i got too =/ i betcha it's an auto-reply

just because it doesnt say that they want non-asians, it doesnt mean that they wont let you have a chance.

it's the talent that SM want to use to break into other countries,

if you're good then they'll take you.

like i say to my friend... how do you know you're going to fail if you dont try.

the opportunity is right infront of you, just go ahead and give it a try,

there is no right or wrong in doing that.

Guest saya_x

what about koreans who don`t speak korea too well? that`s okay right, cuz they can always teach you? did they teach boA japenese?

Guest Dukkey_Yung

Im 13. asian (cambodian) and I want to try out to SM... think I have a chance to get in there..

Im a pretty decent english and korean rapper...and I know most of the choreography to the songs that SM produces like H.O.T., Kangta, TVXQ...etc songs..

You think I have a chance?

Guest hpnotiq

i auditioned for SM once like 4-5 years ago? they do onmly look for japanese, krn or chines. but for chinese, only mandarin speakers, no toher dialect. mahybe things have changed since then?

yeah SM = mainly Korean, Japanese, Chinese, or mixed that look more asian.

how do i know this?

i know people in SM (trainees & managers & teachers)

Just tryyyyy... seriously... NOT TO BE MEAN, but no matter how good you are, SM Entertainment aren't going to fly a plane to your hometown to scout you all the way in America.

not true.

they do fly out to the US to scout people.

Guest Ella_Kwan

dont give up too!.

im chinese. but i speak more of eng than chi.

and i just got a reply from sm saying that my email aud is accepted.

but they said they'll inform me later personally if im gg to be accepted.

so i'm kida lost.

on whether they'll only contact me if im gg to be accepted. or at least let me know if im nt . =X

i think they're looking for more chinese. cause after all hankyung from sj and vanness are doing quite well. so i dont really think race matters.

as long as you've got what they'll looking for. NO HARD TRYING!. at least u wont regret next time and start thinking of IFs =DD

I have a qustion, did you just send your voice on email or did you send a vid of you on email? i'm sorry if i seem nosy, lol... just reallly curious... thanks :D

Im 13. asian (cambodian) and I want to try out to SM... think I have a chance to get in there..

Im a pretty decent english and korean rapper...and I know most of the choreography to the songs that SM produces like H.O.T., Kangta, TVXQ...etc songs..

You think I have a chance?

I seriouly think you have a chance IF your as good as you say you are... :D On paper, your "rusume" seems good but then you have to prove to them that you are as good as you say... so best wishes & go for it! :D

Archived