Ahn Sung-kee

Lee Hye-yeong

Choi Jin-shil

Choi Min-su

Nambugun.jpg

nambugun.jpg

Nambugun.jpg

149_2.jpg

Synopsis: Lee Tae, a war correspondent, joins the North Korean partisans in 1950. But he soon feels torn by the partisan's activities and his own passivity. When Operation Chung-ryong fails, Lee Tae and his men find themselves on the run from the punitive forces. Injured while on the run, Lee Tae is taken care of by Park Min-ja and they soon fall in love. But when he is called back to duty, they are forced to go their separate ways. As the winter weather worsens, Lee Tae and his men fight in the battle of Yakdam Peak and there he meets the poet Kim Young. They discuss the futility of fighting one's own people. The North Korean partisans in South Korea are cornered in the hills of Mt. Jiri and there he meets the legendary Commander Lee Hyun-sang. He is also astonished by Kim Hee-sook's courage. From this point on, he becomes an official member of the political party of the partisans. When news of a truce is heard, the members are thrown into turmoil. Hunger and harsh weather drive them to destitution and during the last battle, Lee Tae is taken prisoner by the punitive forces. His long battle for the partisans comes to a close. (Extracted from Korean Film Archive Website)

Can someone please help me to understand this film? I have watched it once, and I'm unclear on what the difference is between the original Red guerrilla forces and the nambugun forces. Also, what is a good translation of nambugun? Was this a common military force of the DPRK during the Korean War? I can't find any info on it. Thanks.

Archived