[Variety] Good Sunday - Running Man 런닝맨

@herolee10 I agree. It also gives extra screen time for the guests and whomever they team up with. 

This is a team effort IMO.  I like how they support each other. During the prison episode, for example,  So Min was crouching down (I think she was sick) and HaHa went over to see (support her?) or see if she was ok. 

There is nothing wrong in playing favorites, just don’t close off your mind. (This is for the general public/viewer). 

Lee Kwang So, for example, is sometimes annoying and sometimes extremely funny. But if I had closed my mind, I wouldn’t have appreciated him. And that to me would be a travesty/shame

• Like 4

Song Ji Hyo And Her “Running Man” Boys: A Look Back At Their Sweet Moments

Running Man” has entered its eighth year this year, and it’s given us so much laughter, feels, and a mountain of ripped-off name tags!

haha-jihyo-6-gif.gif

kwangsoo-jihyo-2-e1519564478589.jpg

Having been the only female cast member among six men (until recently), Song Ji Hyo has shown us that she can keep up with, and many times even do better than, her male counterparts. She stole our hearts right off the bat with her easy-going personality, her casual approach to her “actress image,” and her determination to take on each challenge. A total girl crush material, she not only wooed us the viewers, but also wooed her cast mates, and over the years, they have built really sweet, familial relationships with each other.

source: https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/03/song-ji-hyo-running-man-boys-look-back-sweet-moments/

On 3/7/2018 at 3:43 PM, mary-ann said:

It seems like RM as we know it is going to end very soon!

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003224683

If they want to do a revamp they are free too, but don't call it RM anymore then!

I don't see what the big deal is over here. Running Man is known for having guests show up most of the time. The only difference here is that rather than having different guests every week, it's just going to be the same guests for a set number of weeks.

This isn't about Song Ji-Hyo is it? Honestly, as long as she's entertaining and is involved in some of the crazy antics that takes place throughout these episodes, then she should be fine when it comes to her screen time.

This show is called "Running Man" and not "Song Ji-Hyo and her Running Men". If there are several guests that appear in a episode (especially ones that are known for stealing the spotlight with their charms or wits) then all the more incentive for the regular members to step up in their antics and not get lost in the shuffle. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, herolee10 said:

I don't see what the big deal is over here. Running Man is known for having guests show up most of the time. The only difference here is that rather than having different guests every week, it's just going to be the same guests for a set number of weeks.

This isn't about Song Ji-Hyo is it? Honestly, as long as she's entertaining and is involved in some of the crazy antics that takes place throughout these episodes, then she should be fine when it comes to her screen time.

This show is called "Running Man" and not "Song Ji-Hyo and her Running Men". If there are several guests that appear in a episode (especially ones that are known for stealing the spotlight with their charms or wits) then all the more incentive for the regular members to step up in their antics and not get lost in the shuffle. 

It's not only about the guests it's about changing everything, RM now a days is almost unrecognizeable to when the show first started, at times a see glimses of the old RM but that's about it, and if they continue to drastically change RM I persoanlly don't think they deserve to call it RM anymore, RM had a permanent cast for 7-8 years a concept for 7-8 years, a family equation that was developed over the span of time, that's what made it iconic, all of that are being destroyed one by one!

By the way Runningman essentially was Song Ji Hyo and the boys for many the years, and this concept of one beautful girl among many guys was what caught my attention back in the days and made me watch RM, and based on all the gazillion shippers who shipped her with different hot idols/actors she meet on this show, many others viewed it in the same way too!

18 hours ago, mary-ann said:

It's not only about the guests it's about changing everything, RM now a days is almost unrecognizeable to when the show first started, at times a see glimses of the old RM but that's about it, and if they continue to drastically change RM I persoanlly don't think they deserve to call it RM anymore, RM had a permanent cast for 7-8 years a concept for 7-8 years, a family equation that was developed over the span of time, that's what made it iconic, all of that are being destroyed one by one!

By the way Runningman essentially was Song Ji Hyo and the boys for many the years, and this concept of one beautful girl among many guys was what caught my attention back in the days and made me watch RM, and based on all the gazillion shippers who shipped her with different hot idols/actors she meet on this show, many others viewed it in the same way too!

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm somewhat slow in the head at times, but what is it about the current format that makes "Running Man" unrecognizable? The cast have gone overseas before in order to complete missions so I can't really understand your claim about it not feeling like the "Running Man" of old.

Plus, it's no secret that most of the members aren't as healthy as they once were due to the toll that this show has taken on their bodies, hence why we haven't seen them partake in strenuous physical activities (i.e. Name Tag Ripping) as much. 

In order for any product to thrive for a long period, it needs to adapt to the changing times and learn to create new ways to bring in new fans while maintaining its core fan-base. 

And in all honestly, you are the ONLY person that I've come across online who believes that this show came off as "Song Ji-Hyo and her Running Men". I've watched EVERY episode since the beginning and NOT ONCE did I feel like the show revolved around her as its epicenter.

Yes, for a long time she was the only female member and she captured a lot of people's attention and hearts with her persona. However, this show has always been about an ensemble and not about a single lead. Let's not forget that SJH didn't even start off as a main member. She was first introduced as a recurring guest herself before being promoted as a series regular. If SJH was THAT BIG of a persona on the show that you're claiming, then this show wouldn't have suffered so much in the ratings department in earlier years (before Jeon So-Min and Yang Se-Chan joined the show). 

Honestly, I think that if Song Ji-Hyo were to decide to leave this show like Gary did, it would still survive and thrive without her. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, herolee10 said:

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I'm somewhat slow in the head at times, but what is it about the current format that makes "Running Man" unrecognizable? The cast have gone overseas before in order to complete missions so I can't really understand your claim about it not feeling like the "Running Man" of old.

Plus, it's no secret that most of the members aren't as healthy as they once were due to the toll that this show has taken on their bodies, hence why we haven't seen them partake in strenuous physical activities (i.e. Name Tag Ripping) as much. 

In order for any product to thrive for a long period, it needs to adapt to the changing times and learn to create new ways to bring in new fans while maintaining its core fan-base. 

And in all honestly, you are the ONLY person that I've come across online who believes that this show came off as "Song Ji-Hyo and her Running Men". I've watched EVERY episode since the beginning and NOT ONCE did I feel like the show revolved around her as its epicenter.

Yes, for a long time she was the only female member and she captured a lot of people's attention and hearts with her persona. However, this show has always been about an ensemble and not about a single lead. Let's not forget that SJH didn't even start off as a main member. She was first introduced as a recurring guest herself before being promoted as a series regular. If SJH was THAT BIG of a persona on the show that you're claiming, then this show wouldn't have suffered so much in the ratings department in earlier years (before Jeon So-Min and Yang Se-Chan joined the show). 

Honestly, I think that if Song Ji-Hyo were to decide to leave this show like Gary did, it would still survive and thrive without her. 

I will tell you how the show has become different from the start, every RM member had characters and all have suffered since the addition of the 2 new members and which will suffer even more with the addition of even more members because of less screentime available for everyone, and because the new PD'ss emphasis is different from the old pd,  that aside all original members were there from the start of the show, you can feel the family bond between them in their way of interacting, people who were suddenly added will naturally not be able to interact with them in the same way, they don't know them, they have no history together, they can't joke with eachother the same way the original cast does and it's hard to break that view of them as outsiders when you hve watched this show with the same members for years, the emphasis on Song JI Hyo characters and her sweet at times hilerious interaction with guests was also much more evident in the early part. but people are different what attracted me to the show may not have been what attracted you. as for you saying i'm the only one who saw the show that way, well you can't deny the show was about one girl and many guys for many years that's  a fact, and if you went to RM official website and different song ji hyo/RM fan pages/read RM articles you would see how many felt the same way, well if she for you wasn't the main attraction for this show that's fine, but she was for me and many other who began watching this show mainly because of her. you have to admit that beeing the only girl in a show filled with guys automatically put her in greater spotlight,  her being really pretty, easygoing, and having a great personality certainly added to her advantage to get more spotlight.  I can't speak for what koreans like, I can only speak for what i liked as an international viewer, I watched the show mainly because her and I wouldn't be interested in it without her. as for the ratings falling in recent years, well you can't change the main concept of the show, remove the PD who was in charge of making this show what it is, and remove the original characters of certain members and expect no change in rating, I also have to say i don't mind changes, what i'm against is sudden drastic changes for a show that has built it's image over maaany years!

As for whether the show would still be able to thrive without her, maybe, but it would not be based on a big part of the same current viewers thats for certain!

11 minutes ago, mary-ann said:

I will tell you how the show has become different from the start, every RM member had characters and all have suffered since the addition of the 2 new members and which will suffer even more with the addition of even more members because of less screentime available for everyone, and because the new PD'ss emphasis is different from the old pd,  that aside all original members were there from the start of the show, you can feel the family bond between them in their way of interacting, people who were suddenly added will naturally not be able to interact with them in the same way, they don't know them, they have no history together, they can't joke with eachother the same way the original cast does and it's hard to break that view of them as outsiders when you hve watched this show with the same members for years, the emphasis on Song JI Hyo characters and her sweet at times hilerious interaction with guests was also much more evident in the early part. but people are different what attracted me to the show may not have been what attracted you. as for you saying i'm the only one who saw the show that way, well you can't deny the show was about one girl and many guys for many years that's  a fact, and if you went to RM official website and different song ji hyo/RM fan pages/read RM articles you would see how many felt the same way, well if she for you wasn't the main attraction for this show that's fine, but she was for me and many other who began watching this show mainly because of her. you have to admit that beeing the only girl in a show filled with guys automatically put her in greater spotlight,  her being really pretty, easygoing, and having a great personality certainly added to her advantage to get more spotlight.  I can't speak for what koreans like, I can only speak for what i liked as an international viewer, I watched the show mainly because her and I wouldn't be interested in it without her. as for the ratings falling in recent years, well you can't change the main concept of the show, remove the PD who was in charge of making this show what it is, and remove the original characters of certain members and expect no change in rating, I also have to say i don't mind changes, what i'm against is sudden drastic changes for a show that has built it's image over maaany years!

As for whether the show would still be able to thrive without her, maybe, but it would not be based on a big part of the same current viewers thats for certain!

Well apologies in advance if I came off a bit rude in my previous post. Let me clarify that I don't think it's a bad thing at all for someone to be watching this show because they're particularly fond of a certain member. I'm sure everyone has different reasons for why they watch and follow "Running Man".

And like I've said before, I think bringing in recurring guests and the inclusion of new members like JSM & YSC will ultimately bring better results for the show since it will motivate the members to step up when it comes to their performances. Screen time on this show shouldn't be taken for granted (not that I'm implying that the original members took it for granted in the first place). Plus, like in real life as well, families grow over time and the show was in desperate need to add some fresh faces and blood to its content. I also think that the addition of another female member in JSM has actually worked in Ji-Hyo's favor as well because not only does it lessen the burden on her from once being the only female member of the show, but it also helps her evolve her own persona on the show by making her into the older sister figure for a younger female sibling. 

Look at how "Happy Together" (another program with YJS) has evolved over time. For many years, they had an established cast and setting. But over time, they eventually evolved both their setup and cast members in order to keep up with the times. Running Man is no different. 

Personally, I also like the fact that the current PD has been adding in "punishments" at the end of every big project since it further motivates the members to do their best in order to avoid the punishments. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, herolee10 said:

Well apologies in advance if I came off a bit rude in my previous post. Let me clarify that I don't think it's a bad thing at all for someone to be watching this show because they're particularly fond of a certain member. I'm sure everyone has different reasons for why they watch and follow "Running Man".

And like I've said before, I think bringing in recurring guests and the inclusion of new members like JSM & YSC will ultimately bring better results for the show since it will motivate the members to step up when it comes to their performances. Screen time on this show shouldn't be taken for granted (not that I'm implying that the original members took it for granted in the first place). Plus, like in real life as well, families grow over time and the show was in desperate need to add some fresh faces and blood to its content. I also think that the addition of another female member in JSM has actually worked in Ji-Hyo's favor as well because not only does it lessen the burden on her from once being the only female member of the show, but it also helps her evolve her own persona on the show by making her into the older sister figure for a younger female sibling. 

Look at how "Happy Together" (another program with YJS) has evolved over time. For many years, they had an established cast and setting. But over time, they eventually evolved both their setup and cast members in order to keep up with the times. Running Man is no different. 

Personally, I also like the fact that the current PD has been adding in "punishments" at the end of every big project since it further motivates the members to do their best in order to avoid the punishments. 

I totally agree, shows evolve or they die especially shows with such a set cast as Running Man.  Hoping that a show stays the same as 7 years  ago as the cast ages and humour changes is unrealistic.  The only k shows that stay close to the original format are shows like 2D 1N who have changed the cast dramatically which has created other dynamics within the show.  Personally I can see the current cast of 2D 1N changing again as it becomes predictable who will win.

Fans that yearn for yesteryear  also forget that Lizzie  and Song Joong Ki were cast members and the early format of the show changed numerous times as the PDs and writers worked out the best format.  The punishments too were in early episodes too.

• Like 2

As someone who watched running man since the start and continued watching till today, I really welcomed the addition of the two new members because the show was losing its steam and was in need of some new blood and ideas.

The two blended well with the rest of the cast and it’s quite easy to see that they became quite close. Now, I only hope that all the fans of the members could get close and peaceful together. Because the new members’ instagram comments are an embarrassing mess since they joined the show. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, mary-ann said:

If THIS were the initial concept of this show, I would've quit many years ago. SJH is a member of this ensemble. The anchor, she is not. And to think her existence to this team is to be shipped with guest/ idols/ actors is really downgrading her role in the team.

I don't hate SJH and I like that she's as competitive as the guys. Probably the most competitive of them all. But personally, I think she's a bit of a bore. I mean, in Family Outing also started with a single female host among men but she did a great job holding her own against YJS.

All RM fans enjoy the tag games. But members are so used to each other that the game gets predictable and by the members' own admission, had caused some hurt to their bodies. They are almost 10 years older now than they were then. The show added new members to improve the show. Of course there are gaps in their camaraderie compared to the original team. You are always going to trust those you have known longer than those you've only known for a while. If RM is planning to continue for a long time, cast change cannot be helped. New casts will have to work hard to fill the gaps left by those who left while the seniors will need to find a way to incorporate the new into their group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dzareth said:

If THIS were the initial concept of this show, I would've quit many years ago. SJH is a member of this ensemble. The anchor, she is not. And to think her existence to this team is to be shipped with guest/ idols/ actors is really downgrading her role in the team.

I don't hate SJH and I like that she's as competitive as the guys. Probably the most competitive of them all. But personally, I think she's a bit of a bore. I mean, in Family Outing also started with a single female host among men but she did a great job holding her own against YJS.

All RM fans enjoy the tag games. But members are so used to each other that the game gets predictable and by the members' own admission, had caused some hurt to their bodies. They are almost 10 years older now than they were then. The show added new members to improve the show. Of course there are gaps in their camaraderie compared to the original team. You are always going to trust those you have known longer than those you've only known for a while. If RM is planning to continue for a long time, cast change cannot be helped. New casts will have to work hard to fill the gaps left by those who left while the seniors will need to find a way to incorporate the new into their group.

No-one said that her existense in this was to be shipped, she has maaany roles in RM and an equation with each and every RM member that all have huge fandoms (kwangmong, hahyo, spartace etc.), i'm just saying that when you have a really beautiful, outgoing and charming woman among many other male celebities she meets on the show, it's ineviable to have many people enjoy her interactions with them, this ofcourse doesn't apply for everyone, but it does for alot of people evident in the huge number of shippers!

Well what you like may not be what i personally liked about RM vice versa. see my issue with the recent RM changes is, that this show has a loooong history, and image build over many years, and suddenly making drastic changes making it unrecognizeable is kind of disrespectful to the members and production who made this show what it is today, and I feel the same way about all other iconic shows and classics, don't completly change them, they are classics for a reason, I would have much preffered, if they started a new show with a different name, that way they could have continued with their all their changes in concept, members, and whatever else they want to change, without turning RM into a totally different show!

I’m really excited about the Family Package Tour. What fun! Now with 4 more peps the stakes are higher. It’s fun because the “guests” will have to participate, and work harder. And the members too for that matter. Now that they know that all can get rewarded, and punished. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mission: Impossible” Stars Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, And Simon Pegg In Talks To Appear On “Running Man”

Mission-Impossible-Fallout-Running-Man.j

SBS’s “Running Man” has taken on some seemingly impossible missions throughout the years, but this might be their biggest one yet!

On July 13, reports emerged that Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, and Simon Pegg from “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” were planning on appearing on SBS’s variety show “Running Man” during their trip to Korea to promote their film.

A source from “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” responded to the reports and said, “It is true that we are in talks to appear on ‘Running Man,’ but nothing is confirmed yet.” The variety show’s production staff was also contacted and a representative stated, “We are indeed in talks to have Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, and Simon Pegg appear on the show but nothing has been confirmed. They are positively looking over the offer to appear on ‘Running Man.'”

The three actors and director Christopher McQuarrie are planning to arrive in Korea between July 15 and 16 to promote their new film. This will be Tom Cruise’s ninth visit to Korea and Simon Pegg’s second visit. With many events lined up for the actors, it will be interesting to see if they will also greet the Korean public through the variety show.

Would you be excited to see Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, and Simon Pegg on “Running Man”? :blush:

cr