How can I bring up the fact I want a nose job to my parents?

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

First of all, my parents are very old fashioned, they are Christian as well so it's even harder. I'm 16 and when I was a little kid (about 6) I did something that basically made my nose look sorta flat (I won't say what it was because it's imbarresing for me ^_^'). My dad said to me when I was 8 I should get a nose job (I have no idea whether it was a joke but my parents always used to tug at my nose to try and straighten the nose after that incident - so you can see it sort of bothered them as well) ¬_¬ sorta just went straight out my ear, I was a kid then and didn't even give a crap about my appearence. Now I'm 16, I've been uncomfortable with my nose since 14. After my dad told me to get a nosejob (as a joke perhaps?), my parents didn't really talk about my nose.  From time to time (like once a month), my brother or friends would take the micky about it, it really hurts :'( (my parent's never heard my brother take the micky or even knows about it) I want to bring up the topic of a nose job but I don't know how, the topic about my nose hasn't really been talked about for like 5-6 years so it's really awkward to bring it up. Or how I'm supposed to explain to my parents why I want one so badly, btw, there's no rush to tell my parents, I can wait till I'm 18 (that's when I want to go under the knife lol).

Guest JJ no Baka

Since you don't plan to do the surgery until 18, why not spend the 2 years trying to figure out if you really want it or not? This shouldn't be a rushed thought out idea because you're changing something that you can't change back.

Guest vOHsqd

-at dinner-

Remember that time I ........................

and go from there.

But like above, make sure you really want it first

Guest santokki82

yeah, i have the same dilemna with my eyes. except my dad never hinted at me getting eye surgery, lol. i have his eyes. my mom has these gorgeous, double lidded eyes but i got my dad's eyes... sigh. IMO, i think my face would look better with bigger/double eyelids, but i don't think my dad would be down with that anyways.

ah well. for me, i think i'm just going to have to break it to him and be like, i think i'd just be more comfortable and happy with myself if i got my eyes done.

that's probably the only way you can do it. just talk to your rents about how you're considering a nose job. just like casually, i don't think i'd bring it up over a candle light dinner, lol.

Guest -TiaraDoll-

My mom and family were like that. They used to joke about me being flat chested and how I should get breast surgery. At first, I just laughed it off but deep down I wanted one.

It took me a lot of courage to tell my mom I was serious about it even though she and the rest were joking.

I think you should try go one on one with your parents like your mother or father (whoever is more understanding) and gradually tell her/him. Like : Lol, remember the time you used to teased me about getting a nose job... but what if I get one? Is that strange?

and work your way from there.

Make sure you are positive about wanting a nose surgery before you tell them because you don't want to regret it.

I say wait until your 18 and built up the courage and sort your thoughts because you are still young.

Guest mentalfiction

Well I want to get my nose fixed too so I just joke around with my parents about getting surgery, and then eventually I act serious and say "No kidding, I really do want to get my nose fixed"

My parents reacted better to this then when I had just dropped the bomb on them (yup I did that once before). When I said it to them out of the blue, they immediately refused and said that there was no need for any, but when I kidded around and slowly built up the "confession" they said that if in the future you're still uncomfortable with your nose, we'll get it done.

So I guess you should try that, but then again it might not work as my parents (mostly my dad) are kinda open-minded, so if your parents aren't there probably isn't a way out of this :P But remember if they refuse, you can just TELL them that it makes you uncomfortable and try to make them see it from your point of view.

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

Well I want to get my nose fixed too so I just joke around with my parents about getting surgery, and then eventually I act serious and say "No kidding, I really do want to get my nose fixed"

My parents reacted better to this then when I had just dropped the bomb on them (yup I did that once before). When I said it to them out of the blue, they immediately refused and said that there was no need for any, but when I kidded around and slowly built up the "confession" they said that if in the future you're still uncomfortable with your nose, we'll get it done.

So I guess you should try that, but then again it might not work as my parents (mostly my dad) are kinda open-minded, so if your parents aren't there probably isn't a way out of this :P But remember if they refuse, you can just TELL them that it makes you uncomfortable and try to make them see it from your point of view.

i quite like that -dropping the bomb- lol, but the reason my parents would mainly refuse is probably because of finance, i have a job lined up anyways that i can soon start, so perhaps i'll have enough money after working two years :)

Guest HeartzEuu

Well, I think start something out off topic. Then slowly bring them into the conversation. Then change the topic to your nose job thing.

As for me, I think you can say I am old-fashioned but I think eventhough how ugly your nose is, is best not to do surgery. I mean, for me, its not worth the pain to get something which will turn out fake. I think everyone should be happy about how they look like eventhough their nose is ugly or eyes is ugly. Also, for me, someone who does plastic surgery means they dont love themselves for who they are. They wanna be someone else and thats not good right? Sorry, its my opinion. Sorry, if I offended anyone. I just dont like people doing plastic surgery, its like saying INDIRECTLY "Hey, Im ugly and I dont think anyone will like me" Again, my apologies.

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

Well, I think start something out off topic. Then slowly bring them into the conversation. Then change the topic to your nose job thing.

As for me, I think you can say I am old-fashioned but I think eventhough how ugly your nose is, is best not to do surgery. I mean, for me, its not worth the pain to get something which will turn out fake. I think everyone should be happy about how they look like eventhough their nose is ugly or eyes is ugly. Also, for me, someone who does plastic surgery means they dont love themselves for who they are. They wanna be someone else and thats not good right? Sorry, its my opinion. Sorry, if I offended anyone. I just dont like people doing plastic surgery, its like saying INDIRECTLY "Hey, Im ugly and I dont think anyone will like me" Again, my apologies.

no no, it's not like that at all for me, i don't have a double eyelid but want one because it looks nice, same thing with my nose, as i said, when i was a kid, i did something that basically messed up my nose and i don't want to live with the nose i wasen't born with for the rest of my life because of a silly mistake.

if a person's face was ripped apart by a bear let's say (god forbid), you would say "you should consider plastic surgery", obviously my situation isn't as bad but i'm in a similar situation. wouldn't you agree?

Guest Kitty07

I'm sure your parents will agree and understand when you're a bit older. Like you said you still have 2 years (:

I totally understand you wanting to go under the knife cause of an accident. I'm in the same position too so it's not like we're trying to be someone else, we just want to be the way we were haha.

Good luck with everything!

Guest Miyuki♥

Yes, I definitely think you should wait until at least 18 like you said. HOWEVER, you should talk to your parents now. Time passes by so fast. A nose job is not something that just happens. You should talk to your parents now so they can help you and give you advice. Maybe they know someone who got plastic surgery? Maybe they've heard of something. Even if they haven't had any experience with plastic surgery they are more experienced period. You need to look for a good doctor, you need the money, you need the transportation, you need a place to stay after it happens, you need a person to drive you back, you need support. What if you were finally able to get a nose job only for your nose to be further messed up. Talk to them now so they can help you now. How? Just be mature about it. They will probably reject you the first time. Show them you are serious and this is affecting your self image and keep on bringing it up maturely. Show them you will take responsibility/are serious by saving money/getting a job. Don't badger them about but do make a point that while you are asking for permission you plan on doing it anyway (if it comes to this point). You will be waiting until your older and you want their support.

Even if they are not with you, totally reject you (which I doubt since parents just want their kids to be happy) they will eventually accept.

Most importantly RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!

Guest Barack Obama

no no, it's not like that at all for me, i don't have a double eyelid but want one because it looks nice, same thing with my nose, as i said, when i was a kid, i did something that basically messed up my nose and i don't want to live with the nose i wasen't born with for the rest of my life because of a silly mistake.

if a person's face was ripped apart by a bear let's say (god forbid), you would say "you should consider plastic surgery", obviously my situation isn't as bad but i'm in a similar situation. wouldn't you agree?

Uhm, first we would have to know WHAT your situation is if you want to compare it with being attacked by a bear because if you messed up your nose on purpose then it's YOUR fault and you can't say its the same thing. Can your nose even change that drastically? Especially because you call it a "silly mistake." I don't think a "silly mistake" can alter your nose to the point where you can't recognize it. Maybe you were just born with that nose and your siblings were born with their noses.

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

I'm sure your parents will agree and understand when you're a bit older. Like you said you still have 2 years (:

I totally understand you wanting to go under the knife cause of an accident. I'm in the same position too so it's not like we're trying to be someone else, we just want to be the way we were haha.

Good luck with everything!

omg, you have no idea how comforting those words were just then :') thank you <3

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

Uhm, first we would have to know WHAT your situation is if you want to compare it with being attacked by a bear because if you messed up your nose on purpose then it's YOUR fault and you can't say its the same thing. Can your nose even change that drastically? Especially because you call it a "silly mistake." I don't think a "silly mistake" can alter your nose to the point where you can't recognize it. Maybe you were just born with that nose and your siblings were born with their noses.

you are not in my situation and there for have no idea what you're talking about. i think you are being extremely insensitive :( it has made my life very depressing and if you are 6 years old, can you blame it on me?? it's a "silly mistake", something a 6 YEAR OLD would do. and no, i was not born like this, compare to my previous photos and you would easily tell that something was "up" with my nose.

PS i am having trouble breathing because of this, and i actually have a GP booked for around next week. do you have any idea how it's like not being able to breath properly for 10 years??

Guest Littlofoott

When youre 18 and have the money, tell them that youre getting it done. Parents, wither or not they agree with it. They will always support your decision and would like you to be happy. Good luck =]

Guest X u e

Oh man I had this.

Your parents are probably joking with you.

Cos back when I was a kid my parents went "we're going to have to get a nose job for you like Miachel Jackson did" and I told my cousins about it and I cried because it sounded painful. When my parents found out they told me that it was all a joke. Every now and then my dad tells me to pinch my nose before I go to sleep...Doesn't work, I inherited from my gran anyway.

I get all sorts of comments about my nose. I got bullied in Primary school because of it. When I got into my first year of High School my old nickname of 'pancake face' came up again. Really brought my self esteem down. Like you I even thought about getting a nose job as well.

But I don't want it anymore, I find it a waste of money :/ Plus it doesn't even hurt me anymore when people make fun of me because of it, I mean what's the point of making fun of me because of my nose? Isn't my fault that I was born with it. Do I look that foul to even look at?

But yeah, do seriously think about it before you turn 18. Research and read up upon the benefits and cons. Is it REALLY necessary for you to get one? Would you be able to pay for the operation? Cos remember when you get on that operation table there's no turning back.

Guest mickeypirate

I am sure they will listen to you if you slowly got into that conversation. I am assuming you are a guy by your username. 

If they say no, without hearing you. Just try again. 

And just I don't see whats wrong with getting a nose job. Some people just want change, like me. 

I am getting mine done tomorrow actually. I mean I never thought my nose was ugly but I just want it to look better looking I suppose.

My parents actually offered it to me..which was surprising because I wasn't that ugly to begin with...(or I don't think I am.) Hahaha.

Guest UnknownKoreanBoy

I am sure they will listen to you if you slowly got into that conversation. I am assuming you are a guy by your username. 

If they say no, without hearing you. Just try again. 

And just I don't see whats wrong with getting a nose job. Some people just want change, like me. 

I am getting mine done tomorrow actually. I mean I never thought my nose was ugly but I just want it to look better looking I suppose.

My parents actually offered it to me..which was surprising because I wasn't that ugly to begin with...(or I don't think I am.) Hahaha.

omg good luck!!! please tell me your experiences once your back :) (y)

Guest squishybear

Are you paying for this? I don't think your parents should. So you wait until you are over 18 and have enough money to responsibly afford it. And by then, you won't need your parent's approval because you are being a responsible, mature adult.

Archived