Why do I look terrible in direct sunlight?

Guest ruu-mien

Guest ruu-mien

Do/did you feel the same way? Any tips?
So when I'm in my room or in my bathroom (which has pretty harsh lighting) I look fine and nice, even when I put my face really close to the mirror. Today, I opened a mirror whilst in a car (where sun was beaming through directly) and I think I looked terrible. The sun just brought out every single little flaw. Maybe I didn't look too bad, but how come none of those flaws are visible anywhere else? >_< Anyone else get this problem, or is it just me?

Any tips or tricks? Any absolutely wonderful foundations/concealers/etc that look natural even when in the sun? Or perhaps I should just wear huge sunglasses and a big hat over my head and call it a day.

Guest Sophisticate

So when I'm in my room or in my bathroom (which has pretty harsh lighting) I look fine and nice, even when I put my face really close to the mirror. Today, I opened a mirror whilst in a car (where sun was beaming through directly) and I think I looked terrible. The sun just brought out every single little flaw. Maybe I didn't look too bad, but how come none of those flaws are visible anywhere else? >_< Anyone else get this problem, or is it just me?

Any tips or tricks? Any absolutely wonderful foundations/concealers/etc that look natural even when in the sun? Or perhaps I should just wear huge sunglasses and a big hat over my head and call it a day.

1. Natural light is how you should view yourself / judge yourself & makeup.

2. Any foundation and concealer, applied properly & in the correct shade, should be completely natural looking in the sun.

3. You should be wearing sunglasses in the sun, regardless of appearance, for the protection of your eyes.

Guest Batgirl

If you're just worried about how you look in the sunlight it shouldnt too much of a problem. Because like you said, most of the time you wont be in direct sunlight and yea you should be wearing sunglasses anyways.

Highlighter on the top of your cheekbones? :)

Guest mukinsvivi

Ahhh same here XD. I agree to the previous post though . . . you're not going to be in the sun so don't worry about it too much :) .

I find my makeup looks really strange IN THE CAR. . . but when I step outside it looks perfectly fine :D.

Guest mechant-lapin

I think I look best with direct sunlight. However, I think I look like a troll on camera flash and I look in between a troll and a goodlooking lady in regular room light.

Guest southeastasianqueen

when i used to have really bad acne and hyperpigment and scar etc

i look horrible in direct sunlight and while in the care with the shade mirror thing just made my skin look nasty and uneven pretty much unattractive

haha i know how u feel

Guest ZoidbergMD

I think I look like a troll on camera flash and I look in between a troll and a goodlooking lady in regular room light.

I LOL'd irl :P

I think everyone can relate there is always more flattering light indoors for some reason (dim lit restaurants haha ;D )

I think I look fine in natural light (although a bit too pale for my liking :\) all I wear is a tinted moisturizer and a liquid concealer for hyper pigmentation.

maybe expand on what flaws you noticed? was it large pores? dark spots? redness?

Guest atlanticgal

FLASH IS THE DEVIL!!!

I HATE flash! In restaurants with dim lighting, my friends would wanna use flash and im like NO NO. NOT FLASH. steady hands no flash ftw

Guest colourbird

Flash is indeed the devil. If you can look gorgeous even with flash, I deem you a holy goddess.

I'm ok with natural sunlight. I'm sure everyone thinks they're more flattering in their bathroom mirror.

Guest edwinanicola

Try a different foundation. There has to be lighter ones for your skin. But a major tip, is put on your make up by a window. I never do my make up in the bathroom or using the light in my room. Because you DO look different outside than you do in your house. I always do my makeup by the window so I know how I will look when I go outside. Good luck!

Glass Of Venice

Guest iPhets

I think I look best with direct sunlight. However, I think I look like a troll on camera flash and I look in between a troll and a goodlooking lady in regular room light.

omg i know how you feel -_-

i really hate people who take pictures with flash on =_= especially when its not needed.

Guest blackcoffeey

Haha I've thought about this too =D. I avoid seeing myself in the car mirror haha.

It's okay, because i think people don't see all your flaws.

Guest NINEorMore

Flash is indeed the devil. If you can look gorgeous even with flash, I deem you a holy goddess.

I'm ok with natural sunlight. I'm sure everyone thinks they're more flattering in their bathroom mirror.

because the bathroom mirrors lie

Guest h0w_cute*

weird. i like to take pictures of myself in sunlight/in cars b/c I feel it makes me look better.

Guest Aestas

i look so washed out in pictures with flash. the sad thing is that i have so much makeup on too... so then i keep feeling like i need to put more color but then its too much for real life. *sigh*.

Guest Kiklo

Lmaoo omg that reminded me of the time that I got ready at home and I was like "wow I look pretty good today!" and I felt so good etc...but when I got in the car I was at a stop light and wanted to see my appearance through the mirror and omg as soon as I put down the mirror I got sooo freaked out! lmaoo..it was such a changee.....

Guest pink-pearl

For concealer, I'm not sure because I'm having trouble with mine because it sinks into the cracks under my eyes. Well I usually like to wear a nice highlighter when going out, it makes my face glow when sunlight hits it. You could try Benefit's highlighters.

Guest LibraZebra

Sunlight is more white light usually, or a natural shade of light, while indoor bathroom lights tend to have a yellow/orange tinge, or a blue tinge. When lighting is tinted, it makes skin look smoother (just like black and white photos) because you see less inconsistency. Also, it's a softer light.

I have the same problem...like I'm always afraid to look in a mirror outside because tiny hairs in my eyebrows show up and bumps and everything looks messy and stuff >_>

Archived