Quantcast

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I’m one of the few that wasn’t shocked by the news?When I’m curious about actors’ relationship, I tend not to look at their interaction on screen because it’s acting. I focus more on their real

Hi everyone. Came here after watching CLOY and being blown away by SYJ's amazing acting!  She was so great at both the comedy (loved all the scenes with the North Koreans, the ajummas and the boys, as

SYJ is legendary for her acting skills and  beauty...she has so many awards for her acting it's crazy. very well deserved too. HB is a man and most drama viewers are female so he's more popular I

Good point about depending on when she knew about the Cross delay to the second half the year, if that.  It may be too late for her to sign on with projects filming in the first half of the year, I don't know.  And as you said not sure how much stuff is even scheduled to be filmed this year in Korea, due to covid.  If the rumours are true that HB will do CA2 in Feb and it hasn't even been officially announced that he's signed on, then it seems to be leaving it till quite late.  Not sure what the usual practice is for casting announcements in SK.  Stars at their level probably have their schedules known for the next few months in advance and SYJ seems the type to want to do a lot of prep work in advance of a role. 

I miss her magazine shoots/longform interviews, but I guess if she doesn't have any specific project to promote she doesn't need to do them. And I don't think she will do any just due to her private life announcement.  Too bad we probably won't see her and HB in a hot magazine photoshoot together again!

I do think that she has a wedding penciled in for before she turns 40 or at 40 (whether you follow the Korean age system or the regular one) and it will happen regardless of what other projects she takes on or not. 

Who knows maybe her current big project is not film related at all but figuring out the interior design for a new married home?  Seems like something she would be into and that's a big undertaking as well. 

Anyone can share more about her fatigue episode during CLOY?  As I didn't watch CLOY in real time, didn't know about it till later.  What were they filming when it happened?  Thankfully she's recovered. But I can imagine these drama schedules are very grueling.  You can pretty much see the actors looking more tired as the drama goes on. 

• Like 1

@Seriya As I recall, the SYJ hospital trip was during location shooting in winter (January). It could have been fatigue, flu or dehydration as she was treated and returned to the set. You can tell all of the cast looked ill (redness around their eyes) from long outdoor scenes. She often reports that after her projects that they were physically hard and draining on her. Again, when you don't eat well, diet for the role, etc. there is a large energy drain filming long hours each day. That is why she said half her life is devoted to travel as her way to re-energize herself for her next performance.

I think she has received many offers since CLOY but seemed content to do CFs and her fan meeting than committing to a non-challenging role. I do think she did set aside the first half of 2021 for The Cross and was only recently told of the delay. I think she has been studying English to do a foreign language film. I think many Korean actors now see American productions as a huge career move because they pay better and expose them to new markets. For example, a Netflix original production could double an actor's Korean pay rate.

One potential concern is that SYJ is still attached to melodramas and romantic comedy genres. Would she take such a role in 2021 (and how would shippers react with her love scenes with a different leading man?)

• Like 2

@welh11 some actors I think earlier on had struggles doing a Hollywood movie but I think since the change with Korean films and especially with Bong Joon Ho and Parasite - more Korean actors are interested again in Hollywood movies. I think besides liking Cross script / it sounded like it became more female driven than what it was before - the fact it was filming in Korea and not overseas is a double plus for her. Since most actors who film a Hollywood movie end up having to film abroad. She had learned English before but since she didn't speak often - you eventually forget. So I don't think it was that difficult to relearn English for her. It is probably more in the end to perfect her accent more. Plus she has travelled abroad - to USA before too. I don't think she will take on another romantic comedy - melodrama soon. She never does the same role twice. Maybe she will do more mother/wife - or a more female driven cast movie/drama like she has done before. I do belive as well it is easier if she books a Netflix project for upcoming potential project as it will be released faster - plus CLOY has been on Netflix too.  If ex. she ever gets a chance to work with Lee Byung Hun - he has worked with Gong Hyo Jin before in A Single Rider. They played a married couple - although they barely had scenes together. It was on their marriage struggles and GHJ and son being in Australia. 

I think she could do more films like this. I don't think there will be an issue of kissing etc - since that is also on acting. Lee Min Jung's drama Once Again - she is also kissing her co star. LBH and son had no issues with it. Although their son is funny, he was saying how she is in trouble with dad LOL/he kept watching LBH's reaction - although LBH was fine hahaa. I believe you can also request less kissing or no kissing. I know this has happened before on past projects with other actors. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, welh11 said:

@Seriya As I recall, the SYJ hospital trip was during location shooting in winter (January). It could have been fatigue, flu or dehydration as she was treated and returned to the set. You can tell all of the cast looked ill (redness around their eyes) from long outdoor scenes.

Yes. She especially looked red during the first border scene.  And a lot of her outdoor scenes in the freezing cold involved so much emotional energy and crying, over multiple takes, it must have been easy to become tired and exhausted.  Even the indoor sets must have been quite cold given everyone's almost always wearing big down jackets or have blankets wrapped around them. 

I think she has received many offers since CLOY but seemed content to do CFs and her fan meeting than committing to a non-challenging role. I do think she did set aside the first half of 2021 for The Cross and was only recently told of the delay. I think she has been studying English to do a foreign language film. I think many Korean actors now see American productions as a huge career move because they pay better and expose them to new markets. For example, a Netflix original production could double an actor's Korean pay rate.

I believe SYJ when she said Hollywood wasn't something that was a must do on her list but when a good opportunity with a good script/character/director arose, she was receptive to it and relished the challenge of a foreign language role.

I have mixed feelings about Asian actors doing HW projects.  While it's great Asians get more representation, they really have to be good roles in good films and not stereotypical or token kind of roles.  I've seen quite a few good Asian actors end up in bad HW films.  And nowadays, with global streaming content that opens people to content from so many countries easily, you don't necessarily have to act in English to have a global impact. See: CLOY.  I would rather see SYJ in a high quality Asian language production like Parasite or Crouching Tiger, which are so good that they even get recognised by HW, than be in a mediocre HW production.  I would definitely love to see SYJ in another Netflix production in the future (I think now she definitely sees the reach of that platform) or in a film that goes on the film festival circuit. 

Scifi/dystopian is a genre she hasn't done before so I do think Cross is a project with potential, if it happens.  Or a female driven project in whatever genre., I'm on board. 

One potential concern is that SYJ is still attached to melodramas and romantic comedy genres. Would she take such a role in 2021 (and how would shippers react with her love scenes with a different leading man?)

I think there's a real strength to SYJ's emotional acting, whatever the genre, and audiences respond to that.  That tends to be in melo and romcom roles so I think they will continue to be a part of her future works.  But she's also shown her versatility and interest in different kinds of roles, so I don't think she will do another melo/romcom soon unless it's a really compelling and fresh character she hasn't done before. 

SYJ's been acting for 20 years and she's a serious actress.  I don't think things like shipper reaction to love scenes would be something that would impede or even be a factor in her considering whether to take on a role.  She wants to do films that illuminate the human condition, and if love scenes or looking old and ugly or whatever are necessary to show that in a film, then I don't think she would have any qualms with that.  She's done roles in films like April Snow and MWGM which may have not been typical for a young actress, and she never let any concerns about image stop her then.  SYJ's talked of films like The Handmaiden before so she strikes me as progressive and open minded in her attitude to life and film.  Which is cool.  I don't think marriage will really or should change her choice of roles.  Acting is not real life.  And hope fans are mature enough to understand that.  If not, well, you can't live your life around fan's sensitivities. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Song Seung Heon's instagram post. He is with their director from Summer Scent. They visited a cafe.

this is of Summer Scent

summer.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKOizU-ARQe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Son Ye Jin is attending 2020 Apan Star Awards. - it is now on January 23.

Same university as where she filmed parts of Classic. The famous rain scene ends in front of that university's library

Son Ye Jin may not actually be attending APAN Star Awards - we shall see closer. Apparently someone checked with her team and they said it was a video recording. We shall see. 

Too much rumors and speculations of them right now.

Can't believe it's almost  18 years when Classic was releaed. It came out on January 30 2003

• Like 2

http://english.pickcon.co.kr/site/data/html_dir/2021/01/21/2021012180161.html

Look at How 'Crash Landing on You' Stars Match Their Styles

January 05, 2021

spacer.png

Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin, the stars of the hit series "Crash Landing on You,", began the new year by admitting they are in a relationship.

Hyun Bin's management agency said on Jan. 1, "The two developed feelings for each other while working together on the series and started dating after it ended."

When they attended a press event for the series in Seoul in December 2019, they showed a perfect mix-and-match style in a sophisticated way by opting for warm-colored outfits. Hyun Bin wore a black turtleneck sweater and white pants matched with a camel-colored velvet jacket. Son wore an oversized pink angora cardigan over a lemon-colored dress with thin straps.

spacer.png

About three months later, when they appeared for a wrap party for the series in Seoul, the couple created a buzz again as they both wore long camel coats, creating a similarly chic vibe. Their similar outfits made fans suspect that they'd fallen in love, like the characters in the series in which they co-starred.

A couple of years earlier, in August 2018, when they attended a press event for their film "The Negotiation" -- their first project together -- they appeared in black, matching their outfits. At another press event for the film a month later, they looked chic with Hyun Bin going for a dandy look in a suit with striped-pattern details and with Son looking elegant in a camel jumpsuit with a black belt.

spacer.png

Spoiler

50156DAC-B38A-48C4-8C22-F9C47F9C9B66.jpg

BFF6C12D-542E-4067-93E1-744BDCE4429D.jpg

61536C88-8BC2-435B-84B6-F0B641A314D2.jpg

1AA704C4-EDAB-48F9-82E7-1D1A65C9130E.jpg

78875B15-916C-4610-8AD1-45ABD46523AE.jpg

• Like 2
On 22/05/2008 at 6:42 PM, shane_kim0016 said:

hi guys i am here again..

monthly_2015_05/w00t.gif.89bfc5f07f7dab28102e6b9c1ad200c1.gif wow.. so many SYJ goodies.. thank you default_biggrin.png.fb0704fc58b7f5e90000a2e051687fc1.png

btw.. do you all know guys whatz i'm into nowadays?

Hidden Content

do you think it's possible ? monthly_2015_05/w00t.gif.89bfc5f07f7dab28102e6b9c1ad200c1.gifdefault_cool.png.2a7be334380861a2fe7c7d23fff98b3c.png +______+ owts , it's okay i am happy enough to think of them.. default_laugh.png.f88063f9c05a1a359311d986e29a8d49.pngdefault_cool.png.2a7be334380861a2fe7c7d23fff98b3c.png

Can't help quoting this

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ElectricHearts said:

Congrats again Son Ye Jin on her SEEZN award 

Look at her laugh and smile eyes always bring me happiness, make me smile like an idiot.:grin:
for Yejin shi, I Always wish you joy and happiness in your life :heartxoxo:

• Love 1

Son Ye Jin got a xiaohongshu account. (I dont know anything about this platform but I looked it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaohongshu

The app allows users and well-known personnel to post and share product reviews, travel blogs and lifestyle stories via short videos and photos.

- She posted an update. It's official as MSTEAM linked it on their youtube:

2021selfie.jpg

https://www.xiaohongshu.com/user/profile/600e3e0a00000000010084fb

Hello. It's been a while since I said hello. We created this place to communicate with you. I wanted to say thank you to all the fans who gave us a lot of love and support through the crash landing of love. Above all, I was so touched by special gifts and events to celebrate my birthday. I will try to communicate more through this place. These days, healthier days are more precious than ever. Stay healthy, everyone.~

• Like 2

Is the xiaohongshu account picture an old one updated with a caption?

I ask because she looks much younger in the picture than her current award photographs.

I have no idea if it's an old pic or a current pic.  Maybe it's her at home look plus filters?  I find she tends to look older with more make up and I prefer her with less.  Either way, it's nice she made the effort to connect with fans through another app.  I think she was maybe genuinely surprised and shocked by the scale of the birthday efforts for her this year from ardent fans.

Read some translated news on twitter that suggests SYJ may be reviewing new projects since Cross is delayed (and may be delayed beyond Sept even?).  Not sure how legit it is.  But I feel SYJ will do a new project this year for sure, one way or another.  Hopefully she's being flooded with great scripts!! 

3 hours ago, welh11 said:

Is the xiaohongshu account picture an old one updated with a caption?

I ask because she looks much younger in the picture than her current award photographs.

I wondered too only because it looks similar to one of her old selfies she took before. Her hair looks a bit shorter but I can't really tell because her hair might have been braided really tightly. Although she also doesn't age lol. 

it was this selfie I thought of:

selfie2.jpg

her profile pic is also an old pic. I just don't think she would post an old selfie with an update though

@Seriya yes Cross delayed till "September" if all goes well and it doesn't get delayed more. It has always been unclear from the start who is in the movie especially the Hollywood actors as Sam was always busy and when they named Ethan to be in it he was also busy. That is why I hope she knew Cross was going to be postponed since November - That was when both Sam and Ethan started getting more busy with their new projects being announced in Hollywood. Hollywood working schedule has always been different. Their projects also tend to be more bigger budget. So not sure what the production budget they were aiming for Cross too. It was always very early pre production stage from all the talks I could tell from last year.

Reviewing projects is usually what they always say when a work gets delayed. "Projects" could also mean more CFs or interesting photoshoot concept etc. It is really what her goals are now which only SYJ and those very close to her know. It has always been important to her being healthy during this time. She has postponed work before due to covid as well. 

• Like 1

I do wonder why after 6 1/2 years SYJ established a new Chinese social media account.

Yes, she is very appreciative of her fan support and gifts that she has received in the last year. Most of her new popularity is international, but I thought most of it came from Japan, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

Second, she is a savvy businesswoman. Could she be re-introducing herself to the Chinese market? Or more specifically, Hong Kong which is English speaking (hence the English caption)? She could be considering a new China-Hong Kong (co)production project. She did one before, Bad Guys Always Die (2016), but that movie did not do well at the box office.