Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/08/07/20/visit-to-ph-by-son-ye-jin-and-hyun-bin-not-a-matter-of-if-but-when

Visit to PH by Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin not a matter of if, but when

Miguel Dumaual, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 07 2020 09:36 PM

son-ye-jin-and-hyun-bin.jpg Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin are the latest international endorsers of Smart. Smart Communications

MANILA — Now it can be said: the separate contracts of K-drama superstars Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin with local telecom giant Smart both include a visit to the Philippines.

But does that mean they will meet Filipino fans together?

There are layers of considerations, Smart executives said, during a recent virtual media conference launching Son Ye-jin as the brand’s latest endorser.

“The contract, similar to Hyun Bin’s, is valid for a year,” said Jane Basas, head of consumer wireless business. “And that includes a visit to the Philippines where she’s supposed to do three events with us.”

“It will be up to the boss whether we’ll bring them both together, in one event. I wont’ tease,” Basas quipped, triggering laughter. “It depends on their schedule, because they’re part of two separate management teams.”

The “boss,” Smart president and CEO Alfredo Panlilio, responded, “We’ll have to sync their calendars.”

That would only be possible once the coronavirus pandemic has eased, public affairs head Ramon Isberto noted. 

“The short answer to that is that we still have to work it out. You know the condition these days is difficult and complicated. We have to plan that very carefully,” he said.

“I can assure you that Son Ye-jin really wants to come here. She’s been here and she would like to come back.”

Son Ye-jin, who once visited Palawan “10 years ago,” did say in a recorded interview that she had hoped to even shoot her ad in the Philippines, as opposed to the remote arrangement between the Filipino group and a partner production outfit in South Korea.

“It’s just so sad that I could not come to see all the fans in person, but I’m always very thankful and happy to be able to meet them in this way,” Son Ye-jin said in Korean.

3RD AD WITH BOTH?

The introduction of the “Crash Landing On You” stars as separate Smart endorsers — Hyun Bin for Gigalife, and Son Ye-jin for Signature — happened within months of each other.

Hyun Bin’s campaign was launched in June, while Son Ye-jin’s was unveiled in the first week of August. The similarities were visible: both ads showed them speeding on a highway, with Hyun Bin in a sports car and Son Ye-jin riding a Ducati bike.

The ending of Son Ye-jin’s ad hinted at a meeting with Hyun Bin, as a sports car pulled over beside her, leading to a view of the vehicles racing through the city. The sight prompted fans to speculate that a third ad showing them together would follow.

Smart executives were tight-lipped on that prospect, but did clarify that the two ads so far were filmed separately.

Basas laid out the timeline, saying: “It was in the first week of June when we launched Hyun Bin, then we reached out to her management team. The second and third week of June were spent negotiating the terms of the contract, and we actually signed her up, fourth week of June.”

The first two weeks of July, Basas recalled, were a “back and forth” between the Manila and Seoul teams to finalize the storyboard of the campaign. That included Son Ye-jin’s request to be given a copy of the storyboard, so she could determine whether she can deliver all the lines in English, or rely on a voiceover to complete the message in the final ad.

“I’ll do this,” Basas recounted Son Ye-jin as saying, which meant she could voice the commercial 100%.

The actual shoot happened on July 16, with weeks still away from its intended debut. But only two days later, fans inadvertently got a hint of the top-secret deal.

“We knew that she loved the campaign, because the character that she portrays — a very strong woman, a badass chick — is very different from her prior endorsements,” Basas said, mentioning Son Ye-jin’s experience riding the Ducati bike.

“We knew how much she loved it because two days after the shoot, she unexpectedly Instagrammed a video of the commercial in her personal Instagram account. We wanted to keep it confidential for the fans, but the fans from Korea, from the Philippines picked it up. We just had to ride that. We couldn’t keep it a secret any longer.”

On August 3, Son Ye-jin Signature ad was officially released, trending almost instantly on social media.

‘NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT ME’

smart-signature-x-syj_3.jpg ‘Crash Landing On You’ star Son Ye-jin is the latest endorser of Smart. Smart Communications

Throughout the negotiations up until the shoot, Son Ye-jin was “warm” and “genuine,” Smart executives said as they recalled their Zoom call with the actress.

“In fact, she was very welcoming of us,” Isberto said. “It was in the middle of the shoot and she was doing a lot of things, but she took time to take a call from us… She doesn’t seem to know that she’s very popular. She’s very humble. She spent time with us.”

Son Ye-jin’s unassuming demeanor was apparent in her recorded interview, where she was asked at one point to describe herself behind the cameras.

“There’s nothing special about me,” she said. In front of the camera, I’m always in character with the given role, so I tend to stick to it. But behind the camera, I think I’m just ordinary. I’m the same person as you guys.”

Despite being regarded as a K-drama superstar with an international following, Son Ye-jin said she isn’t certain whether to consider herself successful, when asked for her advice to those aspiring to pursue a similar career.

“Well, I am not sure if I’ve already succeeded, but I think young people who just started not only in acting but also in other fields, are going to be so scared and experience hardships. [It’s the] same as my experience,” she said.

“But it helps that I’ve always set a goal, and even if the reality is not close to that goal, just try your best to imagine yourself in that future, and make the best out of everything. Then, think of it as step closer to your dreams. Keep fighting!”

• Like 5

9 hours ago, slowpoked said:

So this is my YJ story, basically. Not my twitter account, but conveys my exact same sentiment:

8 hours ago, ElectricHearts said:

Same! I wish I kept following her after I saw AMTR and Classic back in 2008/2009. It was just most of her movies weren't available to me in Canada or I didn't notice them. I wasn't watching kdramas back then. I was more watching movies/foreign films. None of her movies made it out to the festivals in the cities I was in.

Me too!! I knew her since Summer Scent, AMTR and April Snow days. I remember liking YJ together with JJH and SHK as K-actresses, but that is it.

CLOY made me fall in love with YJ all over again. Hard.

Catching up with her filmography made me a YJ stan.

Reading and watching all her interviews and reality shows opened my eyes to YJ as a person in real life - her warm smile, wonderful personality, her charming wit and her unwavering focus on bringing the best acting to her audience. She exudes positive energy and makes everyone around her feel comfortable with her. 

All these made me adore and respect YJ even more. 

34 minutes ago, SonBender said:

I just watched AMTR again, which is in my top five Yejin films. This time I watched the director's cut which is longer at 2:24. It feels different than the cinema version although the overall story is the same.

Reveal hidden contents

When I saw the cinema version I did not realize Su-jin (SYJ) was having significant memory problems until she starts having trouble around the house. It was like the movie had two parts: 1) falling in love with Chul-soo and 2) the two of them dealing with Su-jin's increasing memory loss. In the director's cut, it is quite obvious from the first scene that the movie is about her memory loss.

What was included in the director's cut?

• Like 5

The Philippine Daily Inquirer did a fantastic feature story / profile on Son Yejin in today's Inquirer Super...

Smart-Signature-x-SYJ_3-1-e1596891031629-1024x643.jpg

All hail, Queen Son Ye-jin

Son Ye-jin has one regret in becoming Smart’s newest endorser. That is, she wasn’t able to shoot the commercial in the country and meet some of her fans.

“Actually, I wanted to go to the Philippines and shoot. And (meet) the fans who loved the drama and sent me so many messages of support on social media,” she said in a video interview of Smart. “I am really happy to shoot an advertisement for a Philippine brand. And it’s even better because it’s a Smart advertisement.”

She then repeated the sentiment of wanting to meet her Filipino fans in person. Son added that not seeing them face-to-face makes her sad, however, she is grateful that technology allows her to connect to them.

Filipinos fell in love with the Korean star as Yoon Se-ri in the K-drama “Crash Landing on You” (CLOY). They were hooked from the moment she landed into Captain Ri’s arms after a paragliding accident. She joins CLOY costar Hyun Bin as an endorser for the telco. Her contract as the face of Smart Signature is pretty much the same as Hyun Bin’s.

In a virtual conference on Aug. 3, senior vice president and consumer wireless business head Jane Basas revealed that Ye-jin’s contract is good for one year. She has a commitment to do three events in the Philippines.

On whether they will do those events together or separately depends on their respective schedules and safety.But the well-thought-out ads produced for the telco connect the two stars even when they do not share the same frame. 

Extra mile

Basas also revealed that they started negotiating with Son’s agency MSTeam Entertainment after the success of Hyun Bin’s launch in June. And they started working on storyboards in July through Zoom meetings. The actress was sent two storyboards to choose from. One version is to have someone do the English voice over and the other is where she’d do her own. She went for the latter.

Going the extra mile for a project is nothing new for the actress. She is known as one of the hardest working celebrities in the Korean entertainment industry.

Her prolific career has yielded 21 films, 10 drama series, a cameo in Hyun Bin’s drama, “Secret Garden,” and numerous endorsements. That’s more than two projects per year. But Son has been making viewers love her since her debut in 2001.

She rose to fame early in her career when she played opposite Jo In-sung in the romantic film “The Classic” in 2003. She earned the title “Nation’s First Love” soon after. It is an appellation also given to the likes of Jun Ji-hyun (“My Sassy Girl”) and Suzy Bae (“Vagabond”). Her long black hair, innocent-looking face and beauty made her the perfect crush.

Sweet image

The actress shares one of the most iconic scenes of her career with Jung Woo-sung in the 2004 film “A Moment to Remember.” In the film, Jung dared her to drink a shot of soju to confirm that they’re dating. The lines of the scene, the way she thirstily drunk the shot in one gulp and the kiss that came after has been parodied in variety shows to this day.

Son is hailed as queen of classic romance, but being a lovable leading lady is not the only thing she knows how to do. She bravely let go of her sweet image in 2005 by playing the role of a mistress in the drama film “April Snow” opposite Bae Yong-jun (“Winter Sonata”).

Girlfriend, wife, mistress and divorcee, she brought all of them to life. Her leading men are composed of an impressive lineup of A-list actors including Cha Tae-hyun, Song Seung-hon, Kim Nam-gil, Lee Min-ho and So Ji-sub.

Versatile actress

She has shown versatility by taking on roles in all genres including thriller, action and comedy. In fact, she and Song Il-gook made us laugh so hard in “The Art of Seduction.” This is the same film where she recreated Jennifer Beals’ “Flashdance” routine. Oh yes, she can dance. The 38-year-old actress does not shy away from roles that would emphasize her age. Son played the older woman that Jung Hae-in fell in love with in the hit drama series,

“Something in the Rain” in 2018. The drama earned her more fans that year.

She told the “All the Butlers” cast that she really wanted to take a break in between projects. However, she kept reading scripts. Whenever she finds a good role, she can’t bring herself to say “no” to it.She is one of the few Korean celebrities who won best actress in the three most prestigious award-giving bodies: Baeksang Arts Award, Blue Dragon Film Awards and Grand Bell Awards.

Ordinary girl

Multiawarded actress and her good friend, Gong Hyo-jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”), once said that she cannot compete with her. Gong further described her friend as a “gift.”

But in the interview conducted by Smart, she described herself as ordinary. “There’s nothing special about me. In front of the camera, I’m always in character with the given role so I tend to stick to it. But behind the camera, I think I’m just ordinary. I’m the same person as you guys,” she said.

She was asked for a piece of advice for people who want to reach the same level of success that she has.

“I am not sure if I’ve already succeeded. I think young people who just started not only in acting but also in other fields are going to be so scared and experience hardships. Same as my experience,” she said.

She added that it helps if a person has set a goal.

“I’ve always set a goal. And even if the reality is not close to that goal, just try your best to imagine yourself in that future and make the best out of everything. Then think of it as a step closer to your dreams,” she said.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

What was included in the director's cut?

The theatrical cut of AMTR is 117 minutes and the director's cut is 144, so nearly 30 minutes. I did not feel like there were any added scenes which added new material. Some of the scenes were longer. For example, the director's cut seemed to spend more time on the house that Chul-soo is building on the hill with his workers. There is also more time spent at the train station at the very beginning where they both appear talking with the homeless guy. If I were to recommend one or the other, it would be the theatrical cut. It seems to flow better and provide a more interesting focus in the first half.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @SonBender! I think I watched the director’s cut too because the one I watched is more than 2 hours. Were there any specific scenes that were totally different between the two? Or were scenes just longer in the director’s cut?

You know how they say a movie has 3 acts? That cannot be more pronounced than in AMTR - 1st act was their courtship, 2nd act was their relationship and marriage, and the 3rd act was dealing with Sujin’s sickness.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, welh11 said:

From a recent Spackman press release:

"Son Ye-jin's recent films include BE WITH YOU (2018), THE NEGOTIATION (2018) and THE LAST PRINCESS (2016), all of which were invested by the Group and/or Spackman Media Group."

Her agency's parent company has been a minority investor in her last three movie projects.

Again, SPACKMAN MEDIA GROUP (the group) is the umbrella company of MS Team and they produced, invested in and marketed many of her movies and dramas. So no, definitely NOT a minority investor. The word you are looking for is majority.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Like fine wine, SYJ just gets better with age:

Couldn't agree more. Even a straight girl like me is gay for YJ.

My fav so far is this pic. YJ looks so natural and fresh here. Truly radiant! :wub:

EfG-LTeUYAAaDky.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

On 8/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, ElectricHearts said:

@Helena is this interview with Gong Hyung Jin available online anywhere to be watched :)

hi ElectricHearts, i came across the Audio version only. 

[2011-05-12] SBS FM ‘Gong Hyung-jin's Cine Town’ || Listen

———

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200812004800315
S. Korean drama, film productions receive mixed Q2 results amid COVID-19 pandemic

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Aug. 12 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's major entertainment firms have posted mixed earnings reports for the second quarter, as the novel coronavirus pandemic has had a disproportionate impact on each sector.

Studio Dragon, a drama production company owned by entertainment giant CJ ENM, seems to be the biggest winner for the April-June period, during which people were asked to stay at home and enjoyed TV shows or binge-watched Netflix.

Its sales reached 161.4 billion won (US$136.1 million) for the April-June period, up 25.9 percent from a year earlier.

Its operating profit soared 56.3 percent on-year to 16.9 billion won, and its net profit surged 82.1 percent on-year to 13.4 billion won.

The company said the strong bottom line was led by brisk overseas sales of its hit dramas, like "Crash Landing On You," "The King: Eternal Monarch" and "It's Okay to Not Be Okay."

925917F5-D40C-42E8-8EA9-E7049F64688C.jpg
A scene from "Crash Landing On You" by tvN (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

It earned 59.4 billion won from overseas sales over the three-month period, up 40.7 percent from a year ago.

On the other hand, its parent, CJ ENM, struggled with a sharp drop in sales from its filmmaking and distributing business, as the South Korean film industry experienced record-low audiences in spring.

According to a regulatory filing, CJ ENM logged 837.5 billion won in second-quarter sales, down 16.7 percent from a year earlier. Its operating profit also declined 16.1 percent on-year to 73.4 billion won.

In particular, sales of its film business plunged 81.5 percent on-year to 12.5 billion won, as nearly no film was released in the second quarter.

But CJ ENM said the COVID-19 pandemic helped its video-on-demand platform, tving, attract 66.2 percent more subscribers in the second quarter than the same period last year.

232F4B69-729E-47D5-B2CF-5BCD02BE4816.jpg
This file photo, taken on May 24, 2020, shows a relatively empty theater in Seoul. (Yonhap)

Meanwhile, CJ CGV, CJ Group's multiplex chain operating unit, has gone through the lowest of the low in the three months through June.

Its second-quarter sales plunged 91.4 percent on-year to 41.6 billion won, with an operating loss of 130.5 billion won, turning from an operating profit of 23.5 billion won.

J Contentree, which owns Megabox, one of the country's three largest multiplex chains, also swung to a net operating loss of 14.2 billion won. Its sales sank 41.8 percent on-year to 75.3 billion won.

Due to virus fears, the number of monthly moviegoers hit rock bottom in April with an all-time low of 970,000, and rose slightly to 1.53 million in May and 3.86 million in June.

CJ CGV and Megabox have adopted belt-tightening policies, including closures of theaters and layoffs, to deal with a financial crunch.

Experts said the South Korean entertainment sector, especially the film industry, will rebound in the third quarter, as the country has handled the spread of COVID-19 well, and summer blockbusters, like the zombie action film "Peninsula," have contributed to luring moviegoers to theaters.

"The worst crisis seems to be over, but there are still uncertainties," said analyst Choi Min-ha from Samsung Securities. "Their efforts to streamline business management will likely play a role in turning around in the coming months."

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

-

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2020/08/06/entertainment/television/15th-Seoul-International-Drama-Awards-SDA-nominees/20200806182300437.html
15th Seoul International Drama Awards announced list of nominees

August 6, 2020

[image]
KBS's hit drama series "When the Camellia Blooms" made the list in several competitive categories for the 15th Seoul International Drama Awards this year. [KBS]

The 15th Seoul International Drama Awards (SDA) announced its list of nominees for this year including 28 drama series and 26 individual candidates on Thursday.

The drama series will compete in four categories — TV Movie, Mini-series, Serial Drama and the newly established Short Form. Categories for individual nominees include Best Director, Best Screenwriter, Best Actor and Best Actress.

The organizing committee selected four keywords relevant to the nominated drama series and candidates: Short-forms, female, diversity and K-drama.

Especially for Korean drama series, the number of nominees surged noticeably from last year’s two to nine this year.

For the category of Mini-series, four out of eight nominees are Korean series — KBS’s “When the Camellia Blooms” SBS’s “Hot Stove League,” tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” and JTBC’s “Itaewon Class.”

In the Short-form content, three out of four nominees were Korean, including “I Have 3 Boyfri3nds,” “Rumor” and “XX.”

From the “When the Camellia Blooms,” leads Kong Hyo-jin and Kang Ha-neul made the list for Best Actress and Best Actor and writer Lim Sang-choon was nominated for Best Screenwriter. Producer Jung Dong-yoon of “Hot Stove League” was nominated in the Best Director category.

“This year, female characters in drama series were outstanding,” the SDA organizing committee remarked. “[Like] ‘When the Camellia Blooms,’ there were strong and independent female protagonists who could be seen through the main characters of Dongbaek and the people of Ongsan Village.”

The ceremony will be held without an audience on Sept. 10 at MBC headquarters in Sangam-dong, western Seoul. Instead, the event will be live-streamed, although on which online platform has not been revealed yet. The recorded version is scheduled to air at 3 p.m. on Sept. 15.

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Naver posted about SMART for Jinnie

Top star Son Ye-jin is working as an advertising model for a Philippine news agency. This is the first time as a Korean entertainer, after Hyun-bin was selected as an advertising model. It is also an achievement driven by the hot popularity of tvN'Crash Landing on Love'.

Son Ye-jin is recently emerging as an advertising model for smart communication, a Philippine telecommunications company. She signed a contract in early August, and in May, Hyunbin was first selected as the model of the same company, and then he was chosen as a new face.

The two people side by side were selected as advertising models for the Philippine news agency, and the interest and popularity gained in the local area became a big help for the'Crash Landing on Love'. 'Crash Landing on Love' was introduced locally through the online video service platform (OTT) Netflix, and became a representative content of the new Korean Wave. In fact, as of the 16th, it is ranked 5th in the Philippines' most viewed content.

Using this as a foothold, Son Ye-jin is also gaining great popularity. He was selected as the'Most Beautiful Woman of 2020' by Philippine Media Starmometer, and got another position of'Title Queen'. Due to the local popularity of'Crash Landing on Love' through Netflix, fans are actively sharing various information about it through SNS.

Meanwhile, after the 13th,'Crash Landing of Love' has been showing off its power by regaining the top spot of the local'most viewed content', beating the dramas'Psycho, but it's okay' and'Itaewon Class', which are newly leading the Korean Wave in Japan.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000847636

Also she wrote a letter to her Japan fans now too :)

Her autograph with message is in the link:

"Thank you for loving and supporting "Crash Landing on You" I wish you all good health

https://this.kiji.is/668253584997450849?c=39546741839462401

• Like 6
  • Love 4

On 8/14/2020 at 11:49 AM, Helena said:

Thanks for the update @Helena Eventhough the hint of Son Ye Jin not being nominated in SIDA for best actress category is obvious, due to political issues, still hoping for her to bag the Korean excellent actress award - she has proven enough to the world that she is indeed the Hallyu Queen! My hopes are still high. 

• Like 2

A fan translated Yejin's most recent Japanese interview. I saw this on Twitter and also another Soompi member posted in another thread. Sharing it here. I am just so in awe of her professionalism and talent. She is not only a tremendous actress, she also has the insight of a creative. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3