Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

14 hours ago, Intuition1 said:

I watched several episodes of Great Ambition when it was available online. It is very long and SYJ is not part of the lead. She plays a female disguised as a male. I was only interested in it because SYJ was in it. I always wanted to watch Painted Fire, but never had the chance. I watched Delicious Proposal and Sun-hee and Jin-hee a few years ago. I tried to watch Secret Tears, but lost interest when I realized SYJ was voice acting, but was not there. It was an odd movie that I could not understand. The leading man in it is also in Sun-hee and Jin-hee. 

Oh that is good to know about Secret Tears. Interesting about Great Amibition. What exactly is her storyline on that show may I ask (if you remember lol)? I found a clip at least lol

I realized when I initially back read this thread a couple months ago or more. I cant remember when now LOL! I didn't translate articles that were in other languages. So I had missed stuff before. Just reread the article from her manager then and shared the experience of how SYJ started out. I am glad she has more friends now in the industry. It sounded like she had a difficult time, being young and having moved to Seoul to start out (with only friends who were her hair stylist and make up artist). She really has grown a lot since then. Look where she is now in her career ^_^

12 hours ago, ILSYJSG said:

You can watch a poor quality version of Yobi on YouTube. I strained my eyes watching this just for SYJ. LOL

I have not watched the rest though.

LOL Thanks! I can try a bit of it hahaa :lol:

I watched most of her stuff on Viki, Netflix, YouTube, I even rented The Last Princess on YouTube movies and eventually did dramacool lol

Yay Hollywood movie!! Films next March

[Exclusive] Son Ye-jin advances to Hollywood.. Breath with Sam Washington at'Cross'

Article entry 2020.07.06. 8:21 am
Final revision 2020.07.06. 8:22 am
[Star News Reporter Hyung-Hyung Jeon]

0002876635_001_20200706082207062.jpg?type=w430View original

Son Ye-jin will appear in'Cross' by Andrew Nicole and advance to Hollywood.

Actor Son Ye-jin advances to Hollywood.

According to the movie industry on the 6th, Son Ye-jin recently decided to appear in the Hollywood movie Cross and is preparing details. Cross is a movie about people between poor and rich countries in the background of a fictional multi-racial future divided nation. Director Andrew Niccol, who directed The Host and Good Kill, catches the megaphone.

Son Ye-jin plays the role of Vera who's from a poor country and lives near the border. When her husband tries to escape and dies, she becomes a strong woman who raises her son alone. Son Ye-jin's counterpart is Avatar star Sam Worthington, who's well-known in Korea. Sam Worthington plays a wealthy countryman.

It was reported that director Andrew Niccol was inspired by Cross last year to visit Korea, the only divided country on the planet. Because of this, he said he wanted to build a set in Korea to shoot a movie and work with a Korean actor. During this process, it was known that he sent a love call to Son Ye-jin, the best actress in Korea.

As a result, Son Ye-jin appeared in a Hollywood movie, making the filmography more colourful. Son Ye-jin has been working in various projects including China as well as Korean works.

Meanwhile, Cross aims to start shooting in Korea next March. It is said that director Andrew Nicole had been thinking about shooting Korean separately from COVID-19, but North America appreciates that COVID-19 is serious, but that filming in Korea is normal.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002876635

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2
  • Love 6

Eeeep, I was just going to bring that over here! Thank you @ElectricHearts

This will be my first big emoji ever!!! :rickroll:

So happy for SYJ!!!! Andrew Niccol may be hit or miss, but he's still THE writer of The Truman Show, long considered one of the best movies ever in Hollywood (one of my personal favorites too). His other notable works include Gattaca (Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman), S1m0ne (Al Pacino) and In Time (Justin Timberlake). As you can see, his works are more into the futuristic, sci-fi types, so if this movie is in the same genre and comes out well, it would be a great addition to SYJ's filmography. 

Yay, I'm so excited!!!! :happydance:

• Like 7

I am so excited too! Plus she gets to play a strong female role! I know she wanted to do more of those :doggie:

I like Sam Worthington and I also do like The Host the director has filmed as well. This shall be exciting! Glad it is filming next March in SK. Hopefully covid settles down by then.

• Like 3

According to her agency she is positively reviewing the offer which hopefully means she will accept. 

IM SO HAPPY FOR HER. I think I was shaking so much when I first read it . PROUD tears of joy!! 

SON YEJIN WORLD DOMINATION 

• Like 3

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but it looks like this project was stuck in Hollywood development hell for more than a decade already. Because I have already vaguely heard about this before, so I did some research, and was right. This article was back in 2009:

https://variety.com/2009/film/markets-festivals/orlando-bloom-to-star-in-the-cross-1117999566/

Orlando Bloom to star in ‘The Cross’

Cassel, Kurylenko also join sci-fi project

Orlando Bloom, Vincent Cassel (“Eastern Promises”) and Olga Kurylenko (“Quantum of Solace”) will topline “The Cross,” to be directed by Andrew Niccol (“Lord of War” ).

Niccol has initiated pre-production on the $24 million sci-fi escape story, which is scheduled to start principal photography in July in Australia.

But NO MATTER!!! It's getting done now and SYJ is in it!!! :gangnamstyle:

P.S. Not sure about K-Ent, but Development Hell in Hollywood is usually normal though. In fact, a Hollywood remake of A Moment to Remember has been stuck in development hell since 2014. 

5 minutes ago, wolfie26 said:

According to her agency she is positively reviewing the offer which hopefully means she will accept. 

IM SO HAPPY FOR HER. I think I was shaking so much when I first read it . PROUD tears of joy!! 

SON YEJIN WORLD DOMINATION 

Where did you read about her agency???

• Like 1

https://www.soompi.com/article/1411108wpp/son-ye-jin-reportedly-set-to-make-hollywood-debut-in-new-film-opposite-sam-worthington

Son Ye Jin Reportedly Set To Make Hollywood Debut In New Film Opposite Sam Worthington

Jul 5, 2020
by E. Cha

D7EA2BCD-3990-4B06-BFD1-D4D58CCB63A7.png

Son Ye Jin may be gearing up for her Hollywood debut!

On July 6, Korean media outlet Star News reported that according to sources in the movie industry, Son Ye Jin has been confirmed to star in the upcoming Hollywood film “Cross.” The actress is said to be starring in the movie opposite Sam Worthington, who is best-known for his roles in “Avatar” and the “Clash of the Titans” film series.

“Cross” will be directed by Andrew Niccol, who is known for his sci-fi movies like “In Time,” “The Host,” (me: not to be confused with ‘The Host’ from director Bong Joon-ho) and “Gattaca”—and for being the writer behind the famous 1998 film “The Truman Show.” The movie will be set in the future, in a multiracial country divided into two nations by a border. “Cross” will tell the story of the people caught in between these two nations, one of which is wealthy and one of which is impoverished. 

According to the report, Son Ye Jin will be playing the role of Vera, a tough woman who lives near the border in the impoverished nation. After her husband dies during an attempt to escape across the border, Vera is left alone to raise her son on her own as a single mother. Sam Worthington will reportedly be playing a man who lives in the wealthy nation.

Although “Cross” has been in development for over a decade, Andrew Niccol recently became interested in filming the movie in Korea and with Korean actors after visiting the country last year for inspiration (due to Korea’s current status as the “the only divided nation in the world”). He is also said to have personally reached out to Son Ye Jin in the hopes of casting her for the film.

Star News reports that “Cross” is currently aiming to begin filming in Korea in March 2021.

Are you excited to potentially see Son Ye Jin make her Hollywood debut in this new movie? Share your thoughts below, and stay tuned for updates!

Source (1)

Son Ye Jin And Lee Sun Gyun In Talks To Star In Hollywood Film Alongside Sam Worthington

Jul 5, 2020
by E. Cha

B864DB3E-CF4A-4A96-B128-D6A5F13397B8.png

Updated July 6 KST:

Both Son Ye Jin and Lee Sun Gyun have confirmed that they are in talks to join the upcoming Hollywood movie “Cross”!

On July 6, Son Ye Jin’s agency MS Team Entertainment responded to the reports that the actress was set to star in the new film. Although hinting that it was almost a certainty that she would be starring in the movie, the agency stated cautiously, “Son Ye Jin is in talks for the movie ‘Cross,’ and the outlook is favorable. Unless there are any huge changes, she’ll be going through with it.”

Meanwhile, Lee Sun Gyun’s agency also confirmed that the “Parasite” star was in talks to join the film. A representative of HODU&U Entertainment stated, “Lee Sun Gyun has received a casting offer for ‘Cross’ and is currently reviewing the offer. He has not yet come to a decision.”

According to a report by Star News, Lee Sun Gyun has been offered the role of the intimidating and powerful chief of border protection.

Source (1) (2) (3)

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Teeners said:

I'm super happy for SYJ, but would like to be cautiously optimistic just so I'm not disappointed. :DI checked Andrew Niccol and Sam Worthington's IMDB and Rotten Tomato pages and haven't seen anything yet, and Sam Worthington is tied to all those Avatar films.

It would be quite a feather in the cap for SYJ though if the deal happens. I really liked Gattaca from Niccol. I'm curious whether she'll film speaking English, Korean, or a mix.

If Andrew Niccol is writing this movie as well, and IF his writing in this movie is even half as good as The Truman Show, this will be a good one!!!

Having The Truman Show on his resume is the big feather on his cap. One of the best movies ever. Still criminal to this day that Jim Carrey did not get nominated for his role in the movie.

I re-checked and Andrew Niccol was indeed nominated for his writing for The Truman Show at the Oscars. So he forever has a qualifier "Academy-Award Nominee Andrew Niccol". Isn't that pretty 'effin amazing??? SYJ will work with an Oscar-nominated writer!

And looks like Lee Sun Kyun might join as well! After watching Parasite and My Mister, I thought he would be a good actor to work alongside SYJ. I really hope SYJ joins!!!

• Like 4

WOW!!! SO EXCITED FOR SYJ!!!! 

So proud of her, especially this " During this process, it was known that he sent a love call to Son Ye-jin, the best actress in Korea."

Can't wait! As filming only starts in March 2021, does this mean we would not get new SYJ works in 2020? :bawling:

If so, wedding in 2020 seems a sure bet for SYJ.  She must be preparing for her wedding now. Once wedding and honeymoon is over, she is sure to give her all in preparing for her Hollywood debut.

• Like 3

@slowpoked Same! I thought the title sounded familiar. I was like Cross.. why does it sound familiar

5 minutes ago, ILSYJSG said:

Can't wait! As filming only starts in March 2021, does this mean we would not get new SYJ works in 2020? :bawling:

If so, wedding in 2020 seems a sure bet for SYJ.  She must be preparing for her wedding now. Once wedding and honeymoon is over, she is sure to give her all in preparing for her Hollywood debut.

It is really hard to confirm anything right now for this year. I really don't see her doing another TV drama and that is what it looks like right now in terms of casting lately. That was why I had a feeling if she was going to book a project, it would be starting next year ^_^^_^

• Like 2

this is what I'm waiting for that she will do a Hollywood movie. Its so special that she accepted the offer..Sam Worthington my fave actor, hope another good chemistry between the two i sooo love it looking forward it will materialize.:gangnamstyle:

1 hour ago, ILSYJSG said:

Can't wait! As filming only starts in March 2021, does this mean we would not get new SYJ works in 2020:bawling:

I am stealing this from the other thread. Make of it what you will!

• Like 2

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2020/07/son-ye-jin-to-star-in-hollywood-movie.html

Son Ye Jin to star in Hollywood movie 'Cross' with Sam Worthington

July 5, 2020

FC3F65E6-D96E-45A6-916C-E8A969463548.jpg

Source: Star News via Nate
1. [+772, -41] Sam Worthington was the star in 'Avatar', this is daebak.. but I wonder how Son Ye Jin's English is
2. [+767, -26] I thought the title said Sam Hammington for a second
3. [+578, -49] She's too pretty to play the role of a poor character... ㅋㅋㅋ But a Hollywood advancement is one of the biggest honors as an actress so congratulations~!!
4. [+40, -0] Sounds like another plot with the white people as the rich country and the Asians as the poor...
5. [+31, -12] Wow, I'm proud of her. She's great at acting so I know she'll pull this off.
6. [+27, -1] I hope they don't put American style make up on her like the gyopos;;
7. [+22, -3] You could put soot all over her face and she still wouldn't look poor. I bet she could even look pretty in zombie make up...
8. [+20, -2] I noticed Hollywood always casts ugly looking Asian actors. Son Ye Jin will be like a burst of light in Hollywood.
9. [+18, -5] Congratulations to Son Ye Jin
10. [+15, -7] But can she speak English? ㅋ

(Me: In ‘The Negotiation’ DVD commentary, Son Ye-Jin mentioned that she practiced her lines with her English teacher to get the precise pronunciation.  IMO, her English sounded better in ‘The Negotiation’ than in ‘Crash Landing on You’ (perhaps there wasn’t enough time to prepare for a TV drama).
Spoiler

Credits: https://www.facebook.com/binniejinniecouple/posts/negotiation-dvd-commentarytake-out-with-credit-binnie-jinnie-couple-but-i-prefer/454997305060207/

OP preferred readers not to take this out,  reposting here for fans who couldn’t access Facebook only.

[Negotiation DVD commentary]

- First the cast introduced themselves. Ye Jin greeted Director but Hyun Bin. Then later when Tae Goo livestreamed the kidnapping scene, Ye Jin said there was also a similar scene like this in Jennifer Garner’s Peppermint, asked Director whether he’s seen that movie, again she didn’t ask Hyun Bin. I found it odd, as normally she should have greeted and asked all.
- Scene when Chae Yoon negotiated in English, Ye Jin said she practiced with English teacher to have precise pronunciation, but compared to that, now hers is better, such a pity. Hyun Bin then asked “Now you can show us how you talk”, Ye Jin was taken back “ Huh? No I can’t”. All laughed. Through the next scene inside when Chae Yoon continued talking in English, Ye Jin kept sighing “Now my pronunciation is much more better, such a pity” made Hyun Bin and Director giggled.
- Thailand car rushing scene, Bin said it was so hot. Director remembered the part when Tae Goo got out of the car, he leaned on the car, Hyun Bin had to utter “Aw, so hot”. Ye Jin laughed so hard.
- Scene after Chae Yoon showering, her colleague came to her house. Hyun Bin said “Now as he comes in, shouldn’t you do something to him? Shouldn’t you capture him? Isn’t it a habit”. I have no idea why they laughed so hard at this joke.
- Hyun Bin had never forgotten how Ye Jin could film in a huge, clean, neat space. When Director and Ye Jin talked about how her set was set up he sighed in grief “Yes, your set was too good” then she laughed “Tae Goo’s set is…..?” he continued “ Huh? Tae Goo’s set was good too…. except there was no space to run”
- Monitoring scene between them was filmed in a month. She said for all that time, they just acted through the monitors.
- The first scene when they met through monitors, he threatened to shoot but there was no bullet until the third try, Hyun Bin giggled then Ye Jin asked why. He said in real life , the sound was so loud, there were lots of dirt then she asked “Weren’t you startled too?” Then both of them kept making the sound “Like this…like this…..bbang” (to mimic how Hyun Bin reacted. The commentary is sound only, invisible)
- Scene when she took off her police uniform to negotiate, Director said the real negotiator he asked for advice told him wearing uniform was really uncomfortable and they wanted to show their sympathy for the criminal. Ye Jin laughed and said “That was why you made them (Chae Yoon and Tae Goo) wear couple white T shirt.
- Hyun Bin had to smoke a lot for this movie, there was scene he had to smoke repeatedly for 7 takes. He said normally he didn’t smoke. Ye Jin was listening and humming “Hum, uhm” beside.
- When he called her bit*h, both of them at the same time, said it was the worst curse toward women. I like this part as it showed they shared same thoughts. He said it first: “This was a harsh curse, women when being cursed like this will think “If only he didn’t say that” and Ye Jin said the same “For women perspective, they will think “If only he didn’t said that”
- When Tae Goo shot her colleague, Ye Jin said it was the start of climax, then both again, commented simultaneously “because it was an unexpected situation”
- After Tae Goo killed her colleague, Chae Yoon called him a psycho, Ye Jin revealed after that part, whenever they met at the set, Hyun Bin will mimic her voice “a psycho”. He said because when he read the script, he didn’t think his partner will act like that, he thought the partner would have screamed out loud, that was why he was impressed.
- When Tae Goo threatened to kill the bureaucrats, Director commented that the actors will somehow showed parts of their characteristics, and he said “When I looked at Bin ssi acting, hum….” and he stopped. Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were laughing so hard. She imitated Director’s thought “Hum, this man just thinks of how to kill people, huh?” and he told Director “Can you finish your sentence? You stopped there would make other misunderstand me”
- The last part when he cursed the bureaucras with very harsh words in Korean, Director asked “Normally you don’t curse right”.  Hyun Bin responded shockingly “Yes, I do it occasionally when I’m alone”. Both Bin and Jin laughed very hard after that. She continued his words “You cursed constantly when you are alone”. “Yes, Whenever I’m alone, I curse” he replied.

Overall I think the commentary was very hilarious, talking was mainly director, Ye Jin was little more than Hyun Bin but compared to other commentaries of his movies, I think he was so talkative here, his voice was like an octave higher than normal lol
PS: So long

————

Will Son Ye Jin and Lee Sun Kyun Appear in Hollywood Film Directed by Andrew Niccol?

by krishkim 

4FFBBD9A-7D60-4087-8E5A-AA397B82D183.jpg
Credit: tvN, CJ Entertainment

Son Ye Jin and Lee Sun Kyun are positively considering their appearances in a Hollywood film.

On July 6, Son Ye Jin’s label said that she is in talks to appear in the Hollywood film Cross.  Earlier, Lee Sun Kyun’s label also announced that he has been offered a role and is positively reviewing it. The attention is now focusing on whether two Korean actors will appear in a Hollywood film side by side.

Cross is a futuristic movie where a multiracial country gets split into two and tells the story of the people stuck between the two nations, where one side is poor, and one side is wealthy. The movie, starring Sam Washington, will be directed by Andrew Niccol, famous for his science-fiction movies such as In Time, Gattaca, and The Truman Show.

E9558688-4C54-4CD8-87A2-326AF0C209D5.jpg

Credit: ZIMBIO, Financial Times

If they confirm their appearances, Son Ye Jin will play the role of Vera, a tough woman who lives near the border inside the poor nation, whereas Lee Sun Kyun will play Gideon, the charismatic leader of the border defense team.

Cross is now aiming to begin filming in Korea next March.

Meanwhile, Son Ye Jun has once again stood as a Hallyu Star through tvN dramaCrash Landing On You, while Lee Sun Kyun made his name known around the world through film Parasite.

Source (1, 2)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200703000727

Ups and downs of K-dramas in first half 2020

By Choi Ji-won | Jul 6, 2020

44AEC3D3-B053-41F4-9073-7A3A35D9D643.jpg

“The World of the Married” (JTBC)/ "Itaewon Class" (JTBC)/ "Crash Landing on You" (tvN)

The first half of this year was an especially bumpy road for Korean television. Although the sudden outbreak of COVID-19 halted some productions for a while, small-screen content came into a new limelight as a source of joy and comfort for people stuck at home in the period of quarantine.

JTBC becomes big name 

JTBC ran strong last year with “Sky Castle,” which set a record viewership rating for the cable channel. And the broadcaster has further built on its success this year. 

“Itaewon Class” kicked off the year smoothly for the network. Based on a popular webtoon of the same title, Korean heartthrob Park Seo-jun showed chemistry with rookie Kim Da-mi. The story of Park Sae-ro-yi chasing success captured young viewers and the series ended at a high of 16.5 percent in the ratings.

Koreans thought they had had enough of deadly love affairs -- until they saw “The World of the Married.” Even with the six R-rated episodes that set the series apart, the “Doctor Foster” remake quickly gained popularity and at its 12th episode outran the previous highest viewership mark of 23.8 percent set by “Sky Castle,” ending with a new record 28.3 percent on its final episode. As a result, producer Mo Wan-il and lead actor Kim Hee-ae were named best producer and best actress for TV, respectively, at this year’s Baeksang Arts Awards.

Not everything worked out, but drama powerhouse tvN also had its ups. Studded with stars in leads Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin, “Crash Landing on You” broke tvN’s viewership record in February with the unrealistic romance between a South Korean chaebol heiress and North Korean military officer. Taking the baton next, “Hospital Playlist” from star director Shin Won-ho and writer Lee Woo-jung was a massive hit despite only airing once a week.

Among the three major local broadcasters, SBS showed fair scores for many of its dramas, including the second season of medical drama “Dr. Romantic,” Namkoong Min’s “Stove League” and “Hyena,” featuring Ju Ji-hoon and Kim Hye-soo.

F08EF045-5449-4D17-9149-3A9BF754F849.jpg

“Extracurricular” (Netflix)/ “Stove League” (SBS)/ "Black Dog" (tvN)

New writers debut big

The first sports-themed drama in Korean TV, SBS’ “Stove League” from rookie writer Lee Shin-hwa was a huge hit. The baseball drama captured even those viewers who have never been a fan of the sport with its no-frills story that moved the limelight from the players to the front office.

Scriptwriter Jin Han-sae of Netflix’s “Extracurricular” also shot to fame with the 10-episode series. The son of star TV screenwriter Song Ji-na -- who created some of Korea’s best-known TV series including “Sandglass” (1995) and “The Legend” (2007) -- Jin takes a huge first swing with a story revolving around teenagers meddling in prostitution and human trafficking. 

Even ahead of the two smash hits, TV dramas coming from new writers have continued to catch viewers’ eyes this year. TvN’s “Black Dog,” showing the competitive ecosystem of Korean private school teachers, came from rookie writer Park Ju-young, whereas financial crime series “Money Game” was the drama debut for veteran radio scriptwriter Lee Young-mi.

Some may pass off the glory to beginner’s luck, but most of the new scripts were not actually so new. Lee had won an award for his “Stove League” script from MBC in 2016, but had to wait almost four years until it materialized with SBS. During the hiatus, Lee focused on more research and interviews with related officials to add greater detail. 

Sometimes personal experiences became a source of creativity. Jin had revealed that “Extracurricular” was based on his own experience and thoughts as a teenager, whereas Park had written the “Black Dog” script from her three years working as a teacher. Lee, who had received critical acclaim for the realistic portrayal of economic bureaucrats in “Money Game,” stated that not only did she write the script based on her years of experience in finance shows, she also requested experts in the field to proofread the scripts. 

7C51A4B0-2076-4983-A0FD-9CB49CCF587F.jpg

"Kingdom 2" (Netflix)/ “The King: Eternal Monarch” (SBS)/ "A Piece of Your Mind" (tvN)

Stars shine bright, burn out

Several big-name actors, well accustomed with success, had their ups and downs. 

Ju Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na made successful returns in the second season of zombie thriller “Kingdom” on Netflix. With the story helmed by star screenwriter Kim Eun-hee, the first season, released in January 2019, took the Korean zombie genre to the global level, and the second season was acclaimed as having outperformed the first by critics and viewers worldwide.

Korean sweetheart Kim Tae-hee returned to the small screen after five years with tvN’s “Hi Bye, Mama!” While this was her first appearance on TV since her marriage to singer Rain and giving birth to two children, the show failed to meet expectations boosted by Kim’s popularity and ended with a relatively low rating of 5.1 percent on its last episode. 

Worse for tvN came with romance-drama “A Piece of Your Mind,” starring Jung Hae-in. Despite Jung’s stellar popularity, the series maintained poor ratings of between 1 and 2 percent throughout its run and, in the end, was forced to reduce the number episodes from 16 to 12. 

Perhaps the most anticipated yet most disgraced was SBS’ “The King: Eternal Monarch,” starring Lee Min-ho. Coming from star writer Kim Eun-sook of “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) and “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God” (2016), Lee had chosen the blockbuster fantasy piece as his post-military comeback production. Criticisms on the farfetched story and poor acting by Lee and his counterpart Kim Go-eun, topped with excessive placement product, however, failed to impress viewers, as it finished with single-digit ratings.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/07/04/national/media-national/crash-landing-on-you-netflix/
Korean drama successfully crash lands on a Japanese audience

BY PHILIP BRASOR (CONTRIBUTING WRITER) | July 4, 2020

One beneficiary of the coronavirus pandemic has been the video streaming service Netflix. Stuck at home with free time on their hands, many people, rather than finally clean out the attic or write that book, turn to effortless pastimes. Binging TV serials is custom-made for these times.

The South Korean romantic melodrama “Crash Landing on You” is the one that has received the most attention, at least in Asia. As far as “Korean Wave” exports go, it’s standard fare: True love beset by extraordinary forces arrayed to keep our protagonists apart. Fate figures decisively in every episode. Plot twists are the rule rather than the exception. Dei ex machina run riot.

What makes “Crash Landing” generative of not only gushing fan tributes and magazine profiles but also scholarly analyses is its high-concept premise. Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin), an heir to a South Korean conglomerate, goes paragliding and is blown into North Korea, where she lands in a tree and is discovered by Ri Jeong-hyeok (Hyun Bin), a handsome army captain and the scion of a powerful political family.

Forbidden love was never so forbidden, and the show runners play up this aspect exhaustively — 16 installments, each between 70 and 112 minutes in length. It’s become the must-see TV series of the pandemic, even for viewers constitutionally averse to the kind of contrived storylines and hyperbolic presentation typical of South Korean dramas.

For Japanese viewers, it’s no big deal. A cursory scan of satellite TV schedules reveals an appetite for South Korean drama that’s insatiable, and in line with the parallel Japanese affection for K-pop. What’s interesting about Japan’s love affair with South Korean exports is that domestic media, while recognizing its popularity, rarely gives them their proper due.

Almost 20 years ago, when the drama “Winter Sonata” was a genuine phenomenon, the Korean Wave couldn’t help but generate media scrutiny. Since then, however, there’s been a zero-sum aspect to the coverage. Whatever attention the Korean Wave receives is seen to be at the expense of Japanese pop culture.

However, “Crash Landing” is irresistible. Hyun, the series’ heartthrob, graced the cover of the June 26 issue of the Shukan Asahi magazine, which contained a section showcasing the best Korean dramas to stream at the moment. It leaves out one of Netflix’s top-rated Korean offerings, “Mr. Sunshine,” which would seem to hold more interest for Japanese viewers. For one, it stars Lee Byung-hun, an older male heartthrob who has been popular in Japan for years. It also has a Japanese subtext in that it takes place during the years just before Japan annexed the Korean Peninsula and involves the local resistance movement.

Many Korean dramas and movies are set before and during the colonial period, and sometimes these depictions offend Japanese nationalist sentiments, which hold that Japan’s control and annexation was, on the whole, benevolent. These depictions are not shy about the brutality of the era, but it has been my observation that Korean dramas tend to be harsher on Korean collaborators than on their Japanese overlords.

A drama about a romance that bridges the gap between two countries that are still at war comes with its own interpretive pitfalls, not least of which is the reality that it was Japan’s control of the Korean Peninsula that led to its division by the Allies after World War II. But “Crash Landing” doesn’t address history. Any portrayal of North Korea in a sympathetic light is going to be problematic in Japan given the still unresolved matter of Pyongyang’s abduction of Japanese citizens in the past, but just as “Mr. Sunshine,” despite its overwrought romantic premise, can teach Japanese viewers something about their history, “Crash Landing” gives them a glimpse of North Korean life they’re not going to find elsewhere. Viewers literate in the grammar of Korean dramas will see through the exaggerations, and North Koreans become relatable as people, or, at least, relatable as Korean drama characters.

One Japanese commentator sees how this aspect could conceivably offend viewers. Journalist Renge Jibu, writing in the Asahi Shimbun, admits that at first she thought there was something improper about setting a work of entertainment in North Korea. The drama only hints at the suffering North Koreans experience with regard to human rights and doesn’t indicate the fierce resentments many feel toward South Korea and the West as a result of the carnage of the Korean War. But everyday hardships, like frequent power outages and shortages of medical supplies, are carefully, sometimes comically, built into the plot, and, more significantly, while the writers do gently mock a group of North Korean soldiers as rubes when they infiltrate Seoul, they never look down on them. In the drama the good guys and bad guys in North Korea are no different from the good guys and bad guys in South Korea.

Another writer, Minori Kitahara in the magazine Aera, credits the Japanese popularity of the series to Hyun. Kitahara acknowledges that Jeong-hyeok is too good to be true, and, as a feminist, she finds the idea of a man who does everything to protect the woman he loves depressing, since “protection” tends to go hand-in-hand with “domination” in a patriarchal society.

However, watching the show during a pandemic has had its own effect. Kitahara thinks the Japanese government has failed in its promise to “protect” its people from the physical and economic scourge of the virus, so she finds comfort in Jeong-hyeok’s humanistic attitude toward everyone he comes into contact with, and not just the object of his desire, though she credits that attitude to South Korea, which produced the drama, rather than to North Korea, which supposedly produced Jeong-hyeok.

A running joke is that whenever Se-ri becomes indebted to a North Korean who helps her, she says she will repay them “after reunification,” a line she invariably delivers in a weary tone. Such idealistic pronouncements have become empty over the years through overuse, and it’s unlikely, even within the extreme fantasy parameters of the tale being told, that North and South will settle their differences anytime soon. But it’s nice to imagine the possibility, if only for 16 episodes.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Helena said:

(Me: In ‘The Negotiation’ DVD commentary, Son Ye-Jin mentioned that she practiced her lines with her English teacher to get the precise pronunciation.  IMO, her English sounded better in ‘The Negotiation’ than in ‘Crash Landing on You’ (perhaps there wasn’t enough time to prepare for a TV drama).

Have to agree on that. She sounded better in 'Tbe Negotiation'. I think she must have been preparing for the possibility of Hollywood advancement for quite some time. Have time to go for more English lessons.

Anyway, I have been wondering about the Japanese dialogues in 'The Last Princess'. How was her pronounciation there? 

8 hours ago, mulberry9 said:

Have to agree on that. She sounded better in 'Tbe Negotiation'. I think she must have been preparing for the possibility of Hollywood advancement for quite some time. Have time to go for more English lessons.

This article says she’ll play a non-Korean. 

Love Lee Sun-kyun since ‘White Tower’ in 2007, we called him ‘The Voice’ (his voice!).

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200706000694

Son Ye-jin to make Hollywood debut in Andrew Niccol’s ‘The Cross’

By Choi Ji-won | Jul 6, 2020

39243F0A-0E1E-429A-A86B-1734BAF20237.jpg

Son Ye-jin (Yonhap)

South Korean actress Son Ye-jin is set to make her debut in Hollywood with an upcoming film tentatively titled “The Cross.”

According to an official from Son’s agency MS Team Entertainment on Monday, the actress has given consideration to the film and is undergoing negotiations over details. While stating the actress will likely star in the film, the official was cautious to confirm the decision as of now.

The official also stated Son will play the film’s lead female role -- a non-Korean -- and is expected to speak English throughout the film. Australian actor Sam Worthington, from films “Avatar” (2009) and “Clash of Titans” (2010), will play Son’s counterpart in the film, according to reports from local media.

Meanwhile, actor Lee Sun-kyun, from Oscar-winning film “Parasite,” may also make his first advance into Hollywood in the same film. Lee’s agency HODU&U Entertainment that Lee has been offered a role in the film and is currently considering the offer.

Coming from New Zealand director-screenwriter Andrew Niccol of “Gattaca” (1997) and “Good Kill” (2015), “The Cross” will be another sci-fi flick from the filmmaker, casting a commentary over social division. The film, slated to kick-off production early next year, will include scenes that will be shot in South Korea.

Son, 38, made her debut on television in the series “Delicious Proposal” in 2001, and went on to star in veteran filmmaker Im Kwon-taek’s film “Painted Fire” (2002) and play lead roles in award-winning romance flicks “Classic” (2003) and “A Moment to Remember” (2004). The actress has been active in both film and television and recently starred in the smash-hit tvN series “Crash Landing on You” with actor Hyun Bin.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/07/689_292358.html

Son Ye-jin and Lee Sun-kyun in final talks to join Hollywood film

By Lee Gyu-lee | July 6, 2020

DEF55466-2DB1-4D2D-B2E3-DC129CB3D697.jpg

Lee Sun-kyun, left, and Son Ye-jin have been offered roles in director Andrew Niccol's film "The Cross." Korea Times file

Actors Son Ye-jin and Lee Sun-kyun are in talks to join the cast of the upcoming Hollywood film "The Cross." 

Son's agency MSteam Entertainment told multiple news outlets that she is positively considering taking the role she was offered. 
"If all goes well, Son will begin filming sometime in the first half of next year," it said.

Hodu and U Entertainment, Lee's agency, also confirmed the actor had been offered a role and was considering it. 

Screenwriter and filmmaker Andrew Niccol, whose work includes "The Truman Show" and "In Time," will direct the film. 

His newest project revolves around a fictional divided region with a bipolar economy of rich and poor. 

http://en.tenasia.com/archives/106704

Hollywood Comes Calling for Son Ye Jin and Lee Sun Kyun

July 6, 2020 | by You Jung

7879BA4D-B27D-4E42-A685-F71257880D05.jpg

Son Ye Jin, Lee Sun Kyun / Photos: Ten Asia DB

Actors Son Ye Jin and Lee Sun Kyun may be making their move to Hollywood movies soon.

Son’s management agency, MSteam Entertainment, revealed on the 6th: “Son Ye Jin has received an offer to star in the film Cross, and she is positively considering the offer. The details are being worked out at this time.” 

Set against a backdrop of fictional, multiracial bordering countries in the future, Cross depicts a story about people from a poor country and a wealthy country. Andrew Niccol, who has directed films such as Lord of War and Good Kill, will be helming the project.

Niccol, who visited Korea last year, reportedly drew his inspiration for the film from the fact that Korea is the only divided nation in the world.  Rumor has it that he expressed his desire to build a set in Korea and work with Korean actors for this reason. It seems that he contacted Son Ye Jin, during this process, who has starred in films produced in China and a number of other countries.

Son has been offered to play the role of Vera, a strong woman who is left to raise her son on her own after her husband dies during an attempt to escape the poor country they live in. Sam Worthington, who is most known among Korean audiences for his role in Avatar, is expected to star opposite Son. Worthington will be taking on the role of a character from the affluent country.

In addition to Son Ye Jin, actor Lee Sun Kyun (of Parasite fame) has also received an offer to star in the film as a border guard. As Lee is already scheduled to be filming another project during the second half of the year, his decision to appear in Cross will depend on the timetable for the filming of the movie. 

Cross is expected to start principal photography in the first half of 2021.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Helena said:

This article says she’ll play a non-Korean. 

Love Lee Sun-kyun since ‘White Tower’ in 2007, we called him ‘The Voice’.  

Thank you for sharing the news articles.

So she is expected to speak Eng throughout the show. That itself is a challenge. But I have faith that she'll do well. 

Hopefully both will confirmed and the production can go as planned. A little worry since it has been on hold for a decade. Anyways, it also mentioned that she is looking for a movie to film in the 2nd half of this year. Fingers crossed at that one. 

• Like 2