Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

I watched a few movies and dramas where she played a leading role, I love her as an actress. Favourite movies so far are The Classic and A Moment to Remember.  Chemistry wise; I loved her chemistry with Hyun Bin in Crash Landing on You and also with Jung Hae-in  in Something in The Rain.  I'm amazed how good she is at crying. I think she is one of few actresses who can instantly cry. 

tenor.gif

On 3/18/2020 at 8:33 PM, glayse said:

Hi, thank you for your warm appreciation and admiration to Yejin. I first saw her in the movie The Classic in 2004 and that movie made me watch other several korean movies that time. I am not really into kmovies and kdramas though. Thanks to netflix, I'm back to kdramaland. The first episode of CLOY, I was drawn at Se-Ri's character right away and that was because of SYJ's perfect portrayal. Her acting in CLOY led me to watch her other films and became a fan.  The more I know what she is outside the silver and small screen, the more I love her. She is the person who has a deep passion as an actress and would want to be known as an actress than someone who is with pretty face. She is now a firmed established actress with so many acting awards on her plate from all prestigious award giving bodies. 

I can dm you the link for The Tower. I for one also would like to see her play with powerful roles, or any role that could be submitted to Cannes Film Festival. Korean film critics, PD's and producers know SYJ's acting capabilities so I hope she gets script that would showcase her acting range. 

Hi! Yes, Yoon Se-Ri is so special to me. She brought the character to life! I don't think Yoon Seri is an "original" character. What I mean is characters similar to Seri have appeared in countless K-dramas, but Yejin made her unique and special.

Thank you The Tower link! really appreciate it. 

I think Yejin can still play many more roles if the industry allows. It'd be a bonus if her films get submitted to international film festivals, given the success some Korean films have received lately. But as long as she selects roles that she likes, I'll be happy. I personally like to see her in a well-written political drama. I can imagine her playing a rising politician/activist. She starts out innocent and full of heart, and slowly changes because to be in politics she'd have to play dirty a little bit. OR she can also play something like the American film Marriage Story (although the movie wasn't that good in my opinion). She can play the wife in a failing marriage and filing for divorce. It would be a nice theme for her, since she can play a role as Korean woman navigating between a divorce, being a mother, and work. I think these themes would be relevant to society right now. Yejin said she would choose roles that fit her age. 

I can't wait for what her next project. But I hope she is resting well~

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 3/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Dee.84 said:

For actors, I hope to see her  work with Ju Ji Hoon and Yoo Ah In. They give a totally different vibe from SYJ's past leading men.

Me too i wanna see her play action romance like mr and mrs smith with ju ji hoon or yoo yeon seok 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@ChunSungIm same here. I’m my case I just discovered the kdrama world around 2011~2013 (I don’t remember exactly the year but was around this period). And the third drama that I’ve had ever saw was Personal Taste. Since the first time I’ve saw her I became her fangirl :wub:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScnHyCPkHf0KpMm84Jo5R

Glad to see that she’s gaining more international recognition rn and more popularity on SNS BUT, I’m really hoping for those new fans watching her past dramas and movies ‘cause Yejin shined in all of them :heart:.

I’m just have left now 2(or 3 movies of her) and half of her dramas to watch xD .

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

19 hours ago, Dee.84 said:

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201608031725415911108_2

I am not sure if the link above was posted before. I assume it was but for the new fans who want to get to know SYJ a bit,  the above article is a glimpse on how she is as an actress. I think a big part of her regrets the fact that the roles for women in chungmuro is very limited. If you look at the list of top actors in chungmuro that have commercial value,  less than a handful are women. It is a very male dominated industry (like any other entertainment industry). The fact that she has been thriving in chungmuro for soooo long while making her own mark and with only two 'blockbuster' movies, and not the typical blockbuster movie, makes me really proud of her as a fan. This to me makes her really stand out as an actress in Korea. 

Yes, a project with Song Kang Ho would really be awesome...

A project with Kim Hye Soo is also something that I am hoping that will happen...SYJ has talked about wanting to do a movie like Thelma and Louise or a movie that is told  from the perspective of women...That would be the kind of movie for them...:D

It would really be nice to see her work  with an award winning  Director...I think there is a certain formula of films that qualify in international film festivals and such movies are  dependent on the Director...SYJ is usually nominated for Best Actress but only a handful of her films are nominated for Best Film or Best Screenplay or Best Director ...This is not to say that the directors were bad in her past films, just that there is a certain established aesthetic by directors that have been around international festivals, and it would be nice to see  SYJ in those kinds of movies...

For actors, I hope to see her  work with Ju Ji Hoon and Yoo Ah In. They give a totally different vibe from SYJ's past leading men.

Anyway, no matter who SYJ works with, I am also one of those who hopes that she does a film that will go around international film festivals. I also want to see her in Cannes or Berlin film festival in the near future.

Omg thank you for this! I've never read that interview. I tried to dig up interviews related to her acting and personal/professional growth but it's been difficult because the recent interviews are all CLOY related. It also doesn't seem like she does interviews often.

The article you shared is very insightful. I loved her performance in The Last Princess, but I still have many critiques of the film, one of which I mentioned above that it is still a male-centered story. True, Korean entertainment industry (just like any other out there) is still very male-dominated. I hope this changes soon, and hopefully soon enough where Yejin and other actresses like her can benefit. 

I'm very impressed that she was able to establish herself very early on in her career and that she wasn't afraid to try different roles AND be successful in doing so. Not many actresses could do that. I wonder if the owner of her agency being a woman had something to do with Yejin's success. Yejin has been with the same agency for over a decade. I think her manager (or was it CEO of the company?) has been very good in working with her in getting respectable roles. 

It'd be nice if she stars in more critically acclaimed films. This is how she can maintain her status as a top actress. I agree with the part where you said there's a certain formula of the films that qualify in international film festivals. I'm am Asian but raised in the US actually, so I know you mean. The western audience prefers a certain type of films from Asian films. For example, for Chinese films it's usually martial arts. For Korean films, so far it's been The Handmaiden, Train to Busan, and Parasite, all of which involved a degree of murder and vengeance. There was a really stupid NY Times article that said Korean films are 'violent" but that obviously is not true. It's just western audience prefers to see these types of Korean films. So Yejin being in an internationally acclaimed film would be nice and I would love that for her, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on western audience's taste :vicx:

I would love to see her in a very good drama (not rom com) with Gong Yoo. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

https://annyeongoppa.com/2019/01/21/son-ye-jins-on-screen-partners-through-the-years/

Award-winning actress, Son Ye Jin, has been in the Korean entertainment industry for 19 years already. With the timeless beauty and great acting skills of this 37 years old actress, she has already worked with some of the biggest names in Korea.

Here’s a list of Son Ye Jin’s on-screen partners in films and television through the years.

Jung Joon in Delicious Proposal (2001)

images-5.jpeg?resize=400,266&ssl=1

Cha Tae Hyun in Lover’s Concerto (2002) and Crazy First Love (2003)

images-6-2.jpeg?resize=600,409&ssl=1

Jo In Sung in The Classic (2003)

b58758177fb4ac9c5c215bf935dacad9.jpg?res

Cho Seung Woo in The Classic (2003)

mv5bmdk4ywuynmitmtyyni00yze2lwjiztitywm4

Song Seung Heon in Endless Love: Summer Scent (2003)

31.jpg?resize=500,326&ssl=1

Jung Woo Sung in A Moment to Remember (2004)

fullsizephoto1820.jpg?resize=780,501&ssl

Bae Yong Joon in April Snow (2005)

april_snow.jpg?resize=450,300&ssl=1

Song Il Gook in The Art of Seduction (2005)

300915_image2_1.jpg?resize=600%2C400&ssl=1

Kam Woo Sung in Alone in Love (2006)

images-9.jpeg?resize=618,348&ssl=1

Kim Myung Min in Open City (2008)

080110_p10_open.jpg?resize=450,259&ssl=1

Kim Joo Hyuk in My Wife Got Married (2008) and The Truth Beneath (2016)

my_wife_got_married-0004.jpg?resize=600,

Ji Jin Hee in Spotlight (2008)

images-10.jpeg?resize=619,495&ssl=1

Go Soo in White Night (2009)

images-11.jpeg?resize=498,615&ssl=1

Lee Min Ho in Personal Taste (2010)

images-12.jpeg?resize=678%2C452&ssl=1

Lee Min Ki in Spellbound (2011)

images-13.jpeg?resize=678,452&ssl=1

Kim Sang Kyung in The Tower (2012)

images-14.jpeg?resize=500%2C333&ssl=1

Kim Nam Gil in Don’t Look Back: The Legend of Orpheus (2013) and The Pirates (2014)

images-15-4.jpeg?resize=640,350&ssl=1

Chen Bolin in Bad Guys Always Die (2015)

images-17.jpeg?resize=650%2C434&ssl=1

Park Hae Il in The Last Princess (2016)

2016-princess-doekhye.jpeg?resize=780,54

So Ji Sub in Be With You (2018)

bewithyou.jpg?resize=780,439&ssl=1

Hyun Bin in The Negotiation (2018) and Crash Landing On You (2020)

img_20180809131527_de576b2d.jpg?resize=7

Jung Hae In in Something in the Rain (2018)

jung-hae-in-son-ye-jin5.jpg?resize=780,5

From melodrama to romcom, action, fantasy and suspense themed projects, Son Ye Jin continues to impress the viewers for her versatility and undeniable chemistry with her on-screen partners. A chemistry which sometimes sparks dating rumors.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

So, this two are my 2 favorite actress.

I entered on the kdrama world thankfully to YEH, and my love to dramas just intensified with Personal Taste with our beloved queen :wub:.

I recently discovered that they are friends and I went like crazy.

Like YEH attended an Birthday’s fanmeet event that Yejin did :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQV7VkNvAoRj3zl_gnz7kh

Adn they also spent the Christmas together with another friends back in 2011:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRofDFL3-hjzvT5m-z5JeT

YEH also did a cameo appearance on Personal Taste:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4rY88CL5EUQwJ2GZSZ6G

Anyways.....

They had many meets but after sometime unfortunately I haven’t see they hanging out together anymore :bawling:.

My wish is for : that both of them could act together on a movie or drama. That would be so powerful ‘cause Yejin it’s the meloqueen and YEH it’s the comedyqueen.

They could play like sisters who fights against the bad guys or (they could play sisters that are the bad girls LOL) anyways I always wanted to see both of my queen acting together, their friendship seems to be so cute. 
Imagine a movie or drama with two powerful queen???? It would be a hit :glasses:.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

I want to see her with a family. What age is she now 38? Does she want to have kids? She needs to start thinking about a family soon then. Most women can get pregnant until +/- 40 years old right? Her ovaries are a ticking time bomb. :scream:

Edit: found it already. 

Source Soompi

Mar 9, 2018
by C. Hong

On March 9, actress Son Ye Jin participated in an interview to promote her new film “Be With You.”

In the film, Son Ye Jin plays a woman named Soo Ah who reappears before her family without any memories of them a year after she passed away. Son Ye Jin explained, “Her son, Ji Ho, and her husband, Woo Jin, lived with an empty space in their lives when she was gone. I envied Soo Ah because of the love they gave to her.”

She continued, “When I get married, I want to become something precious to a family like that. I’ve never lived with that kind of feeling and I want to try it.”

On the topic of motherhood, Son Ye Jin said, “I’ve come to love children by watching my sister take care of her child. I never thought I wanted to be a mother, but looking at her child, it occurred to me for the first time. But I still can’t imagine myself as a mother yet. I want to become someone that can take care of others first.”

She added, “If I were to get married and have a child, I think I would get way too involved. I work too hard at everything.”

In the comedic moment in the film, Soo Ah is playing with her young son when she gets extremely competitive at the games they’re playing. Son Ye Jin said, “When I play with my sister’s children and they give prizes to the winner, I always win. It’s funny, but that’s me in real life. I suggested a lot of ideas [in the movie].”

“Be With You” is based on a Japanese novel of the same name and also stars So Ji Sub. It premieres in South Korea on March 14.

18 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Is she a lesbian? I have heard her relationship abouy y from snsd

yuri snsd,thats just a gossip because the stirred article said she want to take a role as bisexual in next project. then the rumour started.

well in the interview she want to have kids and married before 40,also she in the past have relationship.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Maddie said:

Is she a lesbian? I have heard her relationship abouy y from snsd

Yes gossip, it doesn't really matter to me what her orientation is. 

1 hour ago, ChunSungIm said:

also she in the past have relationship.

I couldn't find anything about this. Do you have a link to the interview?

Omo, our Yejin’s so humble. In some part of this interview she even said : “ I have an ordinary face as an actress. I’m not pretty or ugly , but I spent my entire time of twenties to became a best actor”.

Like where she has an ordinary face? Yejin my angel your face isn’t ordinary at all .... You’re the MOST TALENTED and the PRETTIEST  actress that I had ever saw ,and your bubbly and down to earth personality makes u shining even more :wub:.

I LOVE that you’re always reinventing yourself, always challenging yourself, never playing twice a same kind of character and always improving your acting’s skills :D.

This interview it's around the time of the released of her movie “Spellbound “ check out guys:

Son Ye-jin: 'I Do Not Like Similar Appearance'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEOvJhpOYtALMZkMhXa9E

Actress Son Ye-jin, who will play the female protagonist named Kang Ye Ri in the movie "Spellbound", said, "I would like to act after abandoning myself. I am more attracted to new genre, new character and new story. I think that when I can enjoy, the audience can enjoy. I hate my similar facial expressions. I want to break the boundary of my acting"

Son Ye-jin has appeared in the movie at least once a year since she appeared in the movie "Lover's Concerto" in 2002 when she was in her early twenties. She usually appears in melodrama and romantic comedy movies such as "April Snow" (2005, directed by Heo Jin-ho) and "Crazy First Love" (2003). "Spellbound" (directed by Hwang In-ho) that will be released on December 1 is not so much different from her previous works, but it has difference of adding an atmosphere of horror in the movie.

On November 24 one week before the movie's release, Son Ye-jin came to a café located in Samcheongdong to give an interview. She said, "I seem to have a desire to present different appearances to the audience. And I happened to see 'Spellbound' which was very attractive thanks to its mixed genres of romantic comedy and horror. But I felt worried about the fact the rookie director will produce this movie. I have worked with many other rookie directors up to now, but I thought that experienced directors would be better for finding something new appearance from me. But I could not give up the attractive storyline only because of the fact that the director was not yet proved, so I gathered my heart". The movie is about a love story between Yeo Ri (Son Ye-jin), who can see ghost, and a timid magician Jo Goo (Lee Min-ki). The story is very unique as it mixed all different stories of love, friendship among women, and revenge. Son Ye-jin successfully played a woman who solves problems of ghosts in the movie.

Spoiler

The character has a huge gap in her emotion as she has to feel gloomy while living together with the ghosts and feel love from her romance. Sohn said, "I had difficulty of controlling my emotion because I was confused how far I have to be sad, awkward, lovely, and surprised. I did not know appropriate level of emotion. In addition, I first filmed the scene in which I had to feel feared after seeing ghost in the movie, and it was also very difficult. But I could learn new things such as how to look at camera, how to be suddenly immersed, and how to control my breath". Like the character Yeo Ri whose mood dramatically goes up and down, actresses sometimes feel the same way. Son Ye-jin has always been portrayed as a pure and innocent woman and a dignified woman in the works, but she said, "I often feel sad in my ordinary life. I sometimes become a positive person, but I keep sadness in my mind. I have many kinds of thoughts in my head and those thoughts drive me feel sad. I would have felt comfortable if I were a positive person, but I am afraid I am not (laugh)".

Spoiler

Son Ye-jin has played the protagonist for nine years since her appearance in "Lover's Concerto". She said, "I have an ordinary face as an actress. I am not pretty nor ugly, but I spent my entire time of twenties to become a best actor". She reportedly wanted to develop herself and present mature acting. Even though her desire to become a best actor is still the same, she feels that she cannot play the protagonist forever as she grows older. She Said, "In my twenties, I liked my job very much, but I also felt difficulties because I had to be judged by other people. How long will I have to keep this job? Do I have to retire in the middle of thirties? I have thought like these before". But she recently changed her mind while she was filming her recent movie entitled "Tower" (2012). She began to have a desire to present mature acting on which all the wisdom of lives reflected.

She said, "From some moment, I like the acting of experienced senior actors. When I filmed "Tower", there was a scene in which actor Song Jae Ho stood without action, but his appearance standing still looked like his acting. His entire life seems to be acting and seems to be an entire work by itself. His wrinkles and appearance all looked as a perfect acting for me, and I want to present that kind of excellent acting like him". Son Ye-jinemphasized again that she wanted to break down all the limit of herself that she has come to have while acting for a long time. She said, "Actors are different from ordinary office workers because actors can become specialists when they manage themselves very well. I am not afraid of growing older. If I fear of aging, I might need to stop acting pretty soon because the youth will disappear some day. I might not be able to play the protagonist in a near future. But I do now think that those are not all about acting. I want to present acting like what the actor Song Jae-ho and Kim Hye-sook present. I have to manage myself and try to present acting that fits suitable to my age". Asked about her marriage plan, she answered, "I do not want to wed very late. Due to my desire about acting, it might be difficult to marry right now, but I will marry when I am prepared to be a good mother and good wife". Asked about what kind of movie she wants to pursue, she answered, "I have thought that an actor will have only one perfect work during his or her entire life, and I still think the same way. I want to present a story about love and friendship like the movie 'Thelma & Louise' and a story of romance and sexy dance like the movie 'Dirty Dancing'. But I ultimately want to present desperate acting that I have to abandon myself like the actress Natalie Portman in her movie 'Black Swan' and the actress Isabelle Huppert in her movie 'Pianist'".

Link for the full article https://www.hancinema.net/son-ye-jin--i-do-not-like-similar-appearance--35706-amp.html

• Like 4
  • Love 2