Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Chinese call her ‘孫仙’, ‘仙女珍’ (fairy).

https://www.soompi.com/article/1383546wpp/parasite-becomes-1st-korean-film-in-15-years-to-reach-no-1-at-japanese-box-office

“Parasite” Becomes 1st Korean Film In 15 Years To Reach No. 1 At Japanese Box Office

Feb 17, 2020
by S. Cho

On top of all the success that Bong Joon Ho’s “Parasite” has seen so far, it most recently reached No. 1 at the Japanese box office!

“Parasite” is the first Korean film in 15 years to achieve this feat after the 2005 film “A Moment to Remember.”

According to a correspondent of the Japanese entertainment industry on February 17, “Parasite” made $370 million yen (approximately $3.3 million) across 276 theatres nationwide between February 15 and 16, rising to the top of the box office.

The cumulative revenue was recorded to be $2.5 billion yen (approximately $22.7 million). This places “Parasite” as the third most commercially successful Korean film in Japan, after 2005 films “A Moment to Remember” and “April Snow.” The former stars Jung Woo Sung and Son Ye Jin, raking in $3 billion yen (approximately $27.3 million) with the latter also starring Son Ye Jin alongside Bae Yong Joon, recording $2.8 billion yen (approximately $25 million).

Last weekend, the other films ranked in the Japanese box office included “1917” at No. 2, Japanese melodrama “Love is Hard for Otaku” at No. 3, and Japanese horror film “Howling Village” at No. 4. After premiering on December 27 of last year, “Parasite” initially reached No. 5 at the Japanese box office, but rose to the top after winning four Academy Awards earlier this month.

Source (1)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

WOW, Son Ye Jin's 2 movies AMTR and April Snow did so well in Japan! I didn't know that. So she must be pretty popular there too. I hope CLOY will also air in Japan TV channel soon (if not already) cuz I bet it will also be a hit in Japan!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, TotoroSY said:

WOW, Son Ye Jin's 2 movies AMTR and April Snow did so well in Japan! I didn't know that. So she must be pretty popular there too. I hope CLOY will also air in Japan TV channel soon (if not already) cuz I bet it will also be a hit in Japan!

Imagine the expression on the Japanese viewers' faces when the  soccer match scene between SK and Japan is played in epi 13:joy:.. Historically Japan is both korea's common enemy ..

• LOL 5

Yes, CLOY landed on Netflix Japan (pic from their tweet). :)

61618-BFA-4-DEA-467-A-8180-8-FB1-FF92000

7712-D830-6-BD6-4-C76-98-C0-CFA326-F9-F2

April Snow (2005) underperformed when it opened in Korea, but it did well in China and Japan.

Its lead actor Bae Yong-joon’s the most loved Korean star in Japan (his 2002 drama ‘winter sonata’ started Korean Wave there in 2003); when he visited, 10 thousand fans (mostly middle aged women) would welcome him at the airport. In 2007, he was paid 250 million Won per episode of drama ‘The Legend’ (his fee remains an all-time high even after 13 years).

‘April Snow’ & ‘The Last Princess’ director Hur Jin-ho cheering on Ye-Jin on ‘Be With You’.

[JoongAng / 8-2016 ] Director Hur Jin-ho has long been interested in the many stages of love, from budding romance to withering heartbreak. Throughout his films, including his debut “Christmas in August” (1998), “One Fine Spring Day” (2001), “Happiness” (2007) and “Dangerous Liaisons” (2012), he has developed a subtle style of portraying relationships. Rather than being explicit about the emotions of his characters, he steps back and leaves the audience to interpret what’s really going on.
Hur’s new period film “The Last Princess” may not be about love, but Hur’s skill when it comes to creating emotional arcs is evident in the way he flawlessly weaves together the princess’s life, from her carefree childhood to her eventual struggle with schizophrenia. 

Q. Actress Son Ye-jin, who plays the role of Princess Deokhye, told the media during a recent press conference that she cried her eyes out after watching the film, adding that it was the first time she had cried after watching herself on-screen in her 15-year acting career. How did you feel after watching the final version, particularly as it’s your first film in four years?  

A. I felt like crying but I didn’t (laughs). You know, I watch the same movie up to hundred times as I edit it. But I know Son cried a lot even when we recorded additional dialogue for some scenes to add final touches. I felt just how deep into the character she was. I showed the semi-final version of the film to a couple of directors I know, and the middle-aged men tried not to cry but eventually bawled. It might be because it’s the personal story of this woman, but it also could have something to do with her life’s connection to Korean history. 

When it was reported that Son would portray Princess Deokhye, some critics said the actress was too pretty for the role. Son has played many fragile - but still beautiful - women in the past. 

I know she contrasts with the real Princess Deokhye in some ways because Son is considered stylish, chic and pretty, but I needed an actress with a real presence because she has to play the princess at stages of her life ranging from her 20s to 50s. I’ve been watching Son’s films and I knew she could play the character well. When we shot the scene in which Princess Deokhye in her 50s reunites with Kim Jang-han [a long-time friend], she didn’t have to actually be there because the camera only focused on Jang-han, but Son still sat there for hours. Even before that scene, she fasted for a day ahead of filming in order to look fragile and weak. 

(2005 article on April Snow)

When It Comes To Filming Love Scenes Over 9 Hours This Queen of Tears Has No Fears

October 12, 2005
By Chang May Choon / The New Paper (Singapore)

FOR months, she has been the neglected co-star of Bae Yong Joon in their latest film, April Snow.

Despite being in Bae Yong Joon's shadow, actress Son Ye Jin has a strong following among male fans.

The Japanese media labelled her 'Yonsama's lover' (Yonsama refers to Yong Joon), and while his handsome face got splashed in newspapers and magazine covers all over Asia, she was relegated to the sidelines.

But, do not be mistaken.

On her own, South Korean actress Son Ye Jin can also command a captive male audience that is no smaller than all of Yong Joon's aunty brigade combined.

Hailed as the Queen Of Melodrama and Queen Of Tears in Korea, she has already earned the reputation of being a box-office guarantee.

Her last two films, Crazy First Love and A Moment To Remember, both made it to the Top 10 Best-selling Korean Film chart in Korea in 2003 and 2004 respectively.

Both films attracted more than two million admissions in Korea, making them no less than massive hits.

With the release of April Snow here this week, the doe-eyed 23-year-old gives her adoring male fans yet another reason to worship her.

In the movie, the actress will flaunt her ample bosom and smooth back in no less than four scenes.

The two sex scenes are undoubtedly her most daring to date, as she steers herself away from her girl-next-door stereotype.

From donning an itsy-bitsy blue bikini in the romantic comedy, Crazy First Love, she has become bolder with each new project she takes on.

In one scene in April Snow, Ye Jin is seen stepping out of the shower and blow-drying her hair wearing a white bra.

The film's director, Hur Jin Ho, admitted his leading lady's body was too good not to flaunt.

'I decided to keep the scenes of her blow-drying her hair, because she has such a beautiful figure,' he explained with a laugh, at the movie's Asia-wide media conference held in Seoul in August.

Much talked about, too, are the two sex scenes totalling five minutes, which show not only Yong Joon's taut pectorals but also Ye Jin's creamy smooth back. The two play strangers who inadvertently fall in love after realising that their spouses have been cheating on them before being involved in a car accident.

Even if Ye Jin is becoming more daring in her roles, she certainly wasn't too open about discussing them.

In an e-mail interview with The New Paper, she chose not to answer our question about director Hur's compliment on her figure, and also skipped another question on whether she would bare all on screen.

SEX SCENES CRUCIAL

But she did give a lengthy, albeit bland, explanation on why the sex scenes, which took nine long hours to film, are not meant to titillate, but are crucial to the story development.

'If there were no love scenes, people will find it difficult to understand and feel sympathy for the two characters,' she said.

'I do not think they fell for each other for physical reasons... But, as we started shooting, conveying that kind of sentiment was hard, because when they fell in love, there were a lot of complicated thoughts lingering inside their minds.'

But Ye Jin's biggest asset yet is her well-known ability to cry on cue and break the coldest of hearts.

She had leukaemia in Lover's Concerto, became a heart-transplant patient in Summer Scent, and then contracted Alzheimer's disease in A Moment To Remember.

Although she is healthy in April Snow, there is no lack of gut-wrenching crying scenes.

On the first day of filming alone, she reportedly cried for eight hours in her first emotional scene in a hospital, until she had little strength left.

Declining to use eye drops, she insisted on summoning her own tears for every retake.

'We shot from every angle, and although it was just an insignificant scene, I thought I still had to give it my best shot,' she said.

IMPROVISED LINES

Even the challenge of minimal lines in the script did not faze this bright actress, who came up with lines on the spot - much to the surprise of her co-star Yong Joon.

She told The New Paper: 'I think director Hur wanted to capture the spontaneous reactions and responses from us.

'There were not many lines at first. We made up more as we went along. I made up lines like 'Am I pretty?' and 'I do not understand why he cheated on me'.

'Bae Yong Joon was caught offguard at times as he was not expecting them. So his expressions of confusion were real.'

Though it was his first experience working with Ye Jin, director Hur was so impressed with her that he raved: 'She is an actress who is really good at expressing the emotions.

'When the scene calls for tears, she has the ability to immediately react to and act out the scene perfectly.

'Also, her character was supposed to be an incredibly passive and quiet housewife but she brought her bright, energetic self into the role and created a deeper and more well-shaped character.'

Even Yong Joon agreed that his co-star is 'phenomenal' in expressing the most complex of emotions.

With the melodrama genre conquered, Ye Jin now aims to show her more cheerful side in her next project, a romantic comedy titled Art Of Seduction.

'I have done a lot of sad films and so I chose this movie because I can act with smiles,' she told The New Paper.

'I play a woman who seduces men easily, but she is very cheerful and cute. I am happy to play this character.'

Will there be any bold seduction scenes?

She did not give details, but one can always hope.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

@cybertron

Question - has SYJ always been popular in China, even before CLOY?

She is. Not as famous as Kim So Hyun (male) but her popularity in China is no joke too, through her movies. Remember her movie with Chen Bolen? tho Korean reception was lukewarm but the film grossed US$4.88 million on its OPENING at the box office, in China alone. 

• Like 5

Critic Review by Darcy Paquet for SYJ in her role in Be With You from https://koreanfilm.org/kfilm18.html#bewithyou

Son Ye-jin is an absolute pro, and it's no criticism of the other actors to say that Soo-ah (Yejin's role) outshines everyone else in the film. Despite being curiously passive for much of the running time (for reasons that become clear in the surprising reveals that emerge in the second half), Son carries the role with her presence, never expressing more than she needs to. The other actors tune their performances to hers, making the scenes with her feel natural and genuine.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, glayse said:

Critic Review by Darcy Paquet for SYJ in her role in Be With You from https://koreanfilm.org/kfilm18.html#bewithyou

Son Ye-jin is an absolute pro, and it's no criticism of the other actors to say that Soo-ah (Yejin's role) outshines everyone else in the film. Despite being curiously passive for much of the running time (for reasons that become clear in the surprising reveals that emerge in the second half), Son carries the role with her presence, never expressing more than she needs to. The other actors tune their performances to hers, making the scenes with her feel natural and genuine.

Yes, us film lovers follow & read Darcy’s reviews for many years. He tweeted about Ye-jin in September 2018. :)

7-A149-EEB-8-FFD-4061-BF0-C-6-BE9-EB94-D

Darcy on The Last Princess
https://www.fareastfilm.com/eng/archive/2017/the-last-princess/?IDLYT=15535

————

OSEN | 2020. 02. 24. 7:54 PM

Reaching out of Asia, "Crash Landing on You" causes sensation worldwide

E3146-CBE-6-BAC-455-D-B52-E-F31-F91-FADF

Studio Dragon's Sat-Sun drama "Crash Landing on You" (tvN, scriptwriter: Park Ji Eun, director: Lee Jung Hyo, producers: Culture Depot, Studio Dragon) officially ended its broadcast on February 16. Starting with an average viewership rating of 6.1% in the first episode, the drama consistently showed a rapid increase in rating during its broadcast and officially ended with an average rating of 21.7%, peaking at 24.1% in the last episode. Therefore, the work has written a new page on the viewership ratings among tvN's dramas.

The drama ''Crash Landing on You'' is available in 190 countries on Netflix. In Latin America, English-speaking regions, and Asian regions including Korea, each episode was published after the end of the official broadcast from the first episode. Meanwhile in Europe and Japan, all episodes were streamed simultaneously on February 16. With such global coverage, ''Crash Landing on You'' is taking the world by storm.

Reportedly, the drama is becoming more and more popular in Taiwan. Three of the four major newspapers here specifically published news regarding "Crash Landing on You". Many media outlets have also been regularly uploading articles about the drama for days. Moreover, in many countries in Southeast Asia, South America, etc., fans also set up fan pages on social networks to share photos and videos. Meanwhile, the 4 videos posted on Netflix' SNS also quickly hit 6.08 million views. This figure is absolutely overwhelming compared to the number of views of other shows. The popularity of the drama “Crash Landing on You” has reached out of Asia and spread to other continents such as North America, South America, Europe, etc.

The production company Studio Dragon also got to feel the global popularity thanks to ''Crash Landing on You'' when receiving many interview and data requests from international media such as CNN, AP, ABC News, Forbes (the US), and Spanish telecommunications company, etc. The reporters said, "It seems that everyone in the world has a special feeling about the genuine image of North Korea and the unique situation of South Korea. This is a very interesting phenomenon."

Netflix's representative said, "Via Netflix, 'Crash Landing on You', a 'made in Korea' drama created by Korean producers has gone beyond its homeland and is highly loved by international fans. As the worldwide audience is more and more interested in Korean dramas, we expect that foreign fans, who are seeking good dramas, will continue to watch 'Crash Landing on You' on Netflix service."

CP Yoon Hyun Ki of Studio Dragon - the unit in charge of producing "Crash Landing on You" - shared, "We are really happy and proud of the good results the drama gained after a long journey, from early overseas shooting to the filming in Korea in freezing weather." He added, "I think these results are thanks to a combination of numerous factors like unique background setting, absorbing development, the main and supporting actors' passionate acting, emotional direction, and beautiful footages, etc. Over the past time, we were invigorated thanks to the support of TV viewers for the drama."

Studio Dragon's representative said, "Recently, thanks to global entertainment streaming services, many films have been released around the world in real-time. In a wider area than before, the reaction of foreign audiences as well as public opinion will come out immediately. Following the global media trend, Studio Dragon is expected to make full use of streaming services as a content distribution platform."

OSEN = Reporter Park So Young /comet568@osen.co.kr
Photo = tvN 
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 4
  • Love 5

I wish her agency can be more proactive. They rarely upload stuff. This video should have been uploaded a day after the wrap up party and not 10 days after the drama finishes-_-.

I have been following son ye jin since The classic and my fav movie of her is still A moment to remember. She is a versatile actress and hopefully she can rest, especially after the long filming of Cloy. Looking forward for her next project. 

She has not updated her instagram for so long. Missing her :tears:.

• Like 5

https://www.herworld.com/gallery/beauty/best-hair-makeup-looks-crash-landing-on-you-actress-son-ye-jin/

The Best Hair And Makeup Looks From Crash Landing On You Actress Son Ye-Jin

Cop the actress’s iconic style, from her tousled curls to her soft glam makeup look

BY NADINE CHUA  /   FEBRUARY 24, 2020

9-C0-E0952-38-E4-45-EE-BB20-6-EF13727121

Credit: Netflix

With all the buzz that’s been going around on social media, you’ve probably heard of the Korean hit series Crash Landing on You. The finale of the romantic K-drama hit the screens on Feb 16, and fans have been unable to stop talking about it since.

The show stars Hyun Bin as army captain Ri Jeong-hyeok and Son Ye-jinas South Korean heiress Yoon Se-ri, with both actors being in the spotlight ever since the first episode aired on Netflix. And although we all agree that Hyun Bin is jaw-droppingly charming, we can’t help but focus on the lead actress too. Everything from her hair to her makeup looks have gotten fans swept off their feet and others trying to emulate her.

Here, we’ve got some of her best hair and makeup looks (on- and off-screen) with tips on how to recreate them, so you can impress the Ri Jeong-hyeok in your life.

Soft glam

2-B7-C68-DE-0-A75-4167-BDEC-822-A32-B492
Credit: Instagram/sonyejinonly

Son Ye-jin has always been known for her casual and natural makeup looks, both on- and off-screen. So even when she goes glam, she makes sure to keep it simple and au naturel.

Instead of opting for smoky eyes and heavily contoured cheeks for a glam night out, Son Ye-jin made her lips the statement of her look while keeping the rest of her makeup simple.

If you’ve got a light skintone just like hers, try a lighter shade of red (these are the red lipsticks HW beauty editors love) with a touch of pink like Urban Decay’s Vice Lipstick in Psych Comfort Matte, $31. Enriched with aloe vera and avocado oils to form a super creamy texture, this lippie is perfect for dry lips and promises to last all night. Pair this lip colour with minimal eyeshadow and light brows to keep with the soft glam theme.

Pink hues
D7-E6-CCC9-D229-483-A-855-D-A1-D9-A78559

This year, Korean celebs have taught us that the smoky eye trend is out, and pink is in – and Son Ye-jin is no different. In a photoshoot, she was spotted with an effortless no-makeup makeup look with a touch of pink.

To recreate this look, grab a fluffy eyeshadow brush to blend the shadow outwards toward the crease. Wet the brush if you’re gunning for a more pigmented look that lasts all day. We adore Zoeva’s Soft Sun Voyager Eyeshadow Palette, $28 – it consists of a lovely light pink shade and five other colours that complements the pink perfectly. Finish the look with your favourite blusher and blend it towards your temple for a radiant cheeky glow.

Mochi skin
CAB6-EF52-3348-4-B19-B5-D0-67-E84-A8912-

When we were catching up on the episodes of Crash Landing on You, we couldn’t help but notice how clear and radiant Son Ye-jin’s skin was. A few years ago, glass skin was all the rave but now, everyone’s obsessed with mochi skin just like Son’s.

While getting a brightening and hydrating foundation (check out these foundations for a youthful complexion) is probably a good way to go, attaining mochi skin is all about choosing the right skincare products that work for your skin. Try adding a lightweight serumto your night-time skincare regimen, like Re:Erth’s Multi-Targeted Elixir, $108. It helps reduce large pores and leaves you with firmer and healthier-looking mochi skin.

A casual bangin’ bun

0-DB8-E9-C1-36-AB-4158-8-A56-2-ABBBE341-

On screen, Son Ye-jin mostly likes to let her hair down for a more feminine look. But when she’s not at work, the actress likes to keep it casual and is constantly seen with her hair up in a messy bun.

If your hair is shoulder-length and you’re having difficulty keeping your hair in an updo, throw in some bobby pins so your hair stays put throughout the day. Try Kitsch’s Diamond Bobby Pins, $14, it holds hair tightly together and bonus: it makes a great hair accessory (here are the best hair accessories to rock for work and play). If you’ve got bangs, let them down to frame your face for an effortlessly chic vibe.

Curled ends
AEF3-F530-BA7-F-420-A-B7-C5-BEFEDCEE3-AA

Everyone loves Son Ye-jin’s structured, curly waves, and so do we. But if you’re in a rush, there’s just not enough time to curl your entire head of hair, especially if you’ve got super long (and super straight) locks.

So why not shave a few minutes off your morning prep time and just curl the ends of your hair just like Son did here? Opt for a small-barrelled curling iron just like the Babyliss Tight Curls Wand, $49 and start curling two inches from where your hair ends. Finish it off with a spritz of hairspray so your curls last all day.

Tousled waves
E78-C4183-41-A9-4-F66-9-F12-F6-DCD9399-C

In episode 5, Son Ye-jin’s character Yoon Se-ri got a hair makeover before taking her passport photo in Pyongyang. At a North Korea salon, she got a hair style called “Goodbye style” as she was preparing to leave the country that she got stranded in after crash-landed after her paragliding accident.

Here, she’s rocking tousled waves and even had her bangs curled for a super feminine look. If you’re looking to recreate this look for a date night, check out the Beauty Works Molly Mae X Beauty Works Curl Kit, $163 – a medium-barreled curling wand that’ll help you achieve tousled yet structured waves. Tip: curl your hair inwards just like Son does to achieve a more laid-back feel.

Easy, summer braids
654-F5208-9-E40-43-F6-90-BE-FF10-FF90229

While we’ve loved seeing Son Ye-jin let her hair down on most episodes of the show, her effortless braided hairstyle caught our eye and we’re thinking we could rock this plait at work or on a date.

Even though braids seem relatively simple, Son glammed it up with a velvet scrunchie to add texture and a pop of colour to her wavy hair. Check out Slip’s Large Scrunchies, $60 – it prevents those ridges in our hair caused by regular elastics and is strong enough to keep even the thinnest of hairs in place all day.

Oh, and if you’re game, go for a tighter braid that’s sleek, straightand perfect for formal occasions.

Just bitten lips
A0-BBEFFC-910-D-4-A8-B-8-D17-DD27-CD7470

Son Ye-jin’s character Yoon Se-ri was never a huge fan of dark, vampy lip colours. Instead, when it was time to get all glammed up, she’d opt for a natural makeup look that puts focus on her rose-stained lips.

If you’re gunning for that “just-bitten” effect too, try a lip stain instead of a lipstick: Laneige’s Stained Glasstick Lip Stain in Pink Tourmaline, $34, is probably your best bet to help you get this watery-stained glow on your lips. Just remember to treat your lips to a good scrub before application for a plump, healthy-looking pout.

No hair tie, no problem
4-E336516-157-C-4-E1-F-9-CEB-E803-A6-D5-

Remember the romantic moment when Ri Jeong-hyeok helped Yoon Se-ri tie her hair up with a handkerchief so she’d blend in with the other women? It not only had our hearts fluttering, but it also gave us the idea that we could cop that look too, especially since it adds a unique twist to an otherwise boring ponytail.

All you have to do is grab a scarf and tie it around your hair to add a pop of colour to your look. Tip: opt for a scarf that has a myriad of colours, with one of the colours matching the colour of your ensemble so you look effortlessly put together. We absolutely adore the Hermès Les Zebres Bandana Twilly, $260 – pair it with a wide-leg jumpsuit to show you mean business.

Sleek top bun
4-DC3-E585-0-DA7-427-A-AB3-C-ECC065-CACE

We’re all for getting your hair up and out of your face, but sometimes a messy bun may not be your best bet for formal events or important meetings. So why not try this sleek bun that Son Ye-jin went for? It’s chic and instantly glams up any outfit – all you need is a good hairspray and an elastic.

Try the Percy & Reed Reassuringly Firm Session Hold Hairspray, $26 – it keeps all your baby hairs in place and gives your bun a satisfyingly strong hold. Don’t forget to add some bobby pins too so your bun stays up all night.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

All The Designer Heels Worn By Son Ye-Jin In Crash Landing On You

Walk a thousand miles in the shoes worn by Yoon Se-ri in the hit K-drama

BY DONSON  /   FEBRUARY 20, 2020

DFA5-D24-E-334-F-4-D32-84-E9-64-AC0-D17-

If you’re like us, you probably still can’t get over the fact that Crash Landing On You has completed its run. The hit South Korean drama that starred Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin served us an amazing plot, unique romance lines and most importantly, stunning looks that we’ll be copying for a while. 

Join us and pick up a pair or two of the sleek designer heels sported in the series and indulge in a little K-drama fashion. Now we only lack our very own Hyun Bin.

https://www.herworld.com/gallery/fashion/style-file/designer-heels-son-ye-jin-crash-landing-on-you/

—————

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 02. 26. 5:49 PM

Son Ye Jin donates 100 million won to support Covid-19 patients

89-A35146-565-F-4-D39-A744-7-E70664-A8-B

Actress Son Ye Jin made a donation to support Daegu city fighting the Covid-19 epidemic.

On February 27, Community Chest of Korea said, "On February 26, Son Ye Jin's side has donated 100 million won to Daegu Social Welfare Community Fund to help patients infected with the Covid-19."

Son Ye Jin always makes a positive impact through various donation activities such as supporting terminally ill children and supporting tuition for low-income disabled children. The actress shared, "Daegu has a special meaning to me because it is not only where I was born and raised but also where my parents are living now. I feel hurt and regretful even more when watching information about Daegu via the news. More than ever, I hope the helping hands can really give timely support for low-income people as well as the prevention and treatment of the Covid-19 disease."

The donation amount is expected to be transferred to areas that are struggling with the Coronavirus to provide the necessary epidemic prevention equipment and treatment for low-income patients in Daegu.

Reporter Park Jung Sun park.jungsun@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

————

Son Ye-Jin the Fairy

[may 8, 2009] Heechul “I Fell In Love With Son Yejin At First Sight”
https://icepluscoffee.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/news-heechul-i-fell-in-love-with-son-yejin-at-first-sight/

[june 2011] Super Junior’s Heechul poses with his ideal woman, Son Ye Jin
https://sujumiraclepress.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/super-junior’s-heechul-poses-with-his-ideal-woman-son-ye-jin/

https://heechulfacts.tumblr.com/post/6620983187/space-big-star-fishy-and-the-beautiful-son-ye/amp

————————————-

For new fans who just saw “Be with You”

Interview 1

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20180309011451315

(Yonhap Interview) 'Melodrama queen' back to silver screen with remake of Japanese romance film

March 09, 2018

SEOUL, March 9 (Yonhap) -- Once a sure-fire success formula at Korean cinema, romantic movies are a rarity these days, eclipsed by male-oriented crime thrillers and period flicks.

Son Ye-jin, a top melodrama star, has long been thirsty for a well-made movie of that genre, as both an actress and viewer, until she encountered "Be With You," her latest title, which is set to open Wednesday.

"I know you love my acting in melodrama movies. I also wanted to see a new one as a viewer," Son said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a Seoul cafe. "I missed a film that depicts a pure love story with beautiful images and music, and I had a thirst for that kind of acting as an actor."

77-FA4-D81-0-BB2-48-E9-91-A8-59-DCCC38-A
A photo of Son Ye-jin, provided by MSTeam Entertainment. (Yonhap)

Son has earned the moniker "melodrama queen" for her unrivaled position as the top actress in that genre. She starred in many hit movies, such as "Lover's Concerto" (2002), "The Classic" (2003), "A Moment to Remember" (2004). 

The actress, who turned 36 in January, says she comfortably filmed "Be With You" partly because it did not have many close-up scenes and she surely knew how to act as she got older.

"When I filmed 'The Classic,' there were lots of things that I didn't know or were too difficult. But this time, I wondered if it's okay to work this easily."

"Be With You" is the Korean remake of a highly successful 2004 Japanese romance about a mother who returns to her family a year after her death. The character of Son's mother, named Su-ah, returns one year after death with the start of the summer rainy season. Losing her memory, Su-ah falls in love with her husband, Woo-jin (played by So Ji-sub), once again, as he recalls his old memories of life with her. But the magical time permitted for their reunion lasts only until the end of the rainy season.

591-EF680-FA7-D-40-FA-B228-421-D795-AC62
A still from "Be With You," released by Lotte Entertainment. (Yonhap)

"It starts with the high school days and ranges over dating, marrying, having a baby and the process of parting again. It was different from previous romance movies for comprehensively including thoughts about life."

The actress said the chemistry of lead actors is crucial for a melodrama, to the point that she can even picture a totally different movie depending on who her counterpart is.

"I thought the movie already achieved a half success when So chose to be in it," she recalled. "I handed tissues out to Ji-sub during a media screening for the movie because he wept a lot. I think he was really immersed ... I'm grateful for him."

After the release of the movie, Son is scheduled to return to the small screen, after five years away, with a JTBC TV romance series. Her next movie, whose title roughly translates as "Negotiation," is waiting for a theatrical release later in the year. In the movie, she co-stars with actor Hyun Bin as a police negotiator named Ha Chae-yoon.

"Becoming able to do a melodrama movie means a lot to me even though you may think I'm exaggerating if I describe the feeling as 'moving.' I think I'm blessed."

60-F07560-EC88-4-FEE-AE1-E-3119-EE60-AD4
A photo of Son Ye-jin, provided by MSTeam Entertainment. (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr
(END)

———

Interview 2

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180313000714

[Herald Interview] Son Ye-jin has special place in heart for melodrama

Published : Mar 13, 2018 - 17:18

Despite decades of prevailing in Korean cinema, melodrama appears to have relinquished its crown to darker and grittier thrillers and action films. 

Playing her first role in a melodrama film in years in “Be With You,” Son Ye-jin said she has been wanting to present the audience with a quality melodrama flick for a while.

“It’s not so much that I wanted to sustain my nickname ‘Melodrama Queen,’ as that the genre has always been something that I wanted to do,” she said in a group interview in Seoul on Monday. “As a cinemagoer, I missed the beautiful images and music, and as an actor, I’ve been thirsty for such acting.” 

21262-FD1-0772-44-E0-A31-D-562-D8-BC6-C5
Son Ye-jin (MSTeam Entertainment)

In the film, Son plays a woman who mysteriously appears before her husband and son a year after her death. The movie is a remake of the Japanese flick of the same name, but the Korean version has more lighthearted and comedic moments. 

“No matter what the genre is, I want there to be some kind of humor. Of course the film has the underlying fear of saying goodbye (to loved ones), but I wanted it to be also fun,” she said.

About her casting, she said that having So Ji-sub as her co-star was the main reason she took on the role. 

“When I heard that he was cast (as Woo-jin), I thought we were halfway through (to success),” Son said. “Now I’m free to say it, but I never would’ve done this film if it weren’t for him. I did it because of him.” 

Now in her mid-30s, Son said she sometimes feels the pressure of acting.

“I’ve been acting nonstop, but it’s not easy. Sometimes I fear that I may lose interest, or that people may not employ me,” she said. “Luckily during the process, I keep finding films that I want to work on. While I work on the films, I keep getting the urge to keep going.”

Son, 36, first appeared in a supporting role in the 2000 film “Secret Tears,” and rose to fame in films like “The Classic,” and “A Moment to Remember.”

By Yoon Min-sik
(minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

——-

Review

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180313000685

[Herald Review] Just to ‘Be With You’

Korean remake of Japanese drama film is heartfelt and appealing to the local audience

Published : Mar 13, 2018 - 17:16 

The past prevalence of melodramas on both small and silver screens has been a divisive issue among Korean audiences. 

While a great many fans enjoy dramatic tearjerkers, others are against the film’s tendency of turning into a cry fest.

“Be With You” -- directed by Lee Jang-hoon and starring So Ji-sub and “Melodrama Queen” Son Ye-jin -- is a film that does a satisfactory job of adding the right amount of sadness. 

1-ED6-A6-E1-5631-478-A-844-B-4-CE53-AC10
A scene from “Be With You” (Lotte Entertainment)

The story follows Woo-jin and his son Ji-ho, played by So and child actor Kim Ji-hwan, who struggle to cope with the loss of Woo-jin’s wife Soo-ah, played by Son. Woo-jin is heartbroken and concerned over his son, who truly believes that his mother will return in the rainy season, just like in his favorite fairy tale.

In a midsummer day’s miracle, however, Soo-ah actually returns -- albeit without her memories -- and tries to find ways to write a storybook ending for the biggest love of her life.

Son is easily the strongest element in the film, being one of the biggest names in the genre. While she is not the most versatile actress, her talent in saying a thousand words just with her face and tear-filled puppy eyes works out just right.

2-AC7-A89-A-FBA7-46-E0-9-D58-F23-D623885

A scene from “Be With You” (Lotte Entertainment)

Casting a 180-centimeter hunk to play a role of a guy who needs protection may appear to be a stretch, but So Ji-sub surprisingly pulls off the part quite well. His timid but earnest behavior toward the people of life captures the essence of Woo-jin’s character. 

Their chemistry with the child actor is quite astonishing, which is somewhat ironic considering that the both are childless. 

So has noted that the pressure of playing a father was why he initially turned down the part. But So’s helplessness fits perfectly as Woo-jin’s situation -- of suddenly being the sole child carer -- is similar to what he’s going through.

Child actors rarely really act and Ji-hwan is hardly Natalie Portman in “Leon: The Professional,” but his acting rarely pulls the audience back to reality. In fact, he delivers one of the film’s strongest moments in the third act.

There is really one memorable supporting actor, but Ko Chang-seok as Woo-jin’s best friend Hong-goo is right on the money. Casting a mid-40s man to play a 20-something who looks old because of bad medication already spells comedy, and the veteran actor does a good job of providing the light-hearted, enjoyable moments here and there. 

Gong Hyo-jin’s cameo appearance was pretty pointless, but enjoyably silly.

The film is very predictable, and it goes the standard route -- among Korean films of the genre -- of being funny at first and cry fest in the end. But most of the jokes are harmless and cute, even when they don’t really work, and the heartfelt moments are strong.

Fans of the original film may have mixed feelings toward it, as the Japanese version was much less sobby. Compared to the original, the movie may look like it’s trying to hit the audience to directly on the nose.

But Korean movies tend to be a tad more tear-filled than the Japanese audience, and it doesn’t go overboard that much. The movie understand that its job to induce emotions, not to be overcome by them.

“Be With You” opens in local theaters on March 14. 

By Yoon Min-sik
(minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

——

[March 28, 2018] Lee Jang-hoon’s debut film is a labor of love

‘Be With You’ had the rookie director working with some of the industry’s biggest stars

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3046176

Director Lee on SYJ: She is a perfectionist. Even if the director says O.K., she wants to keep filming the same scene if it doesn’t please her. When I first met her, I told her, “You don’t need to check the monitor,” but she replied, “That will never happen.” However, Son became loose about this in the second half of filming (laughs.) To be honest, I liked her first takes because of the slight awkwardness. Later, Son even laughed, saying that “if the director is happy, then I’m happy.” Of course, all the scenes were not taken at a fast pace. For example, there’s one scene where Son and So have a conversation in the balcony, and it took three hours to shoot. I kept shouting, “Let’s have one more take.”

• Like 2
  • Love 2

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000801451

This is the Naver article in Korean but there are other English articles too! 

Soompi also has an article on this posted an hour ago!!!!

here’s one from https://channels.vlive.tv/EBF267/vtoday/1.12947974

Actress Son Ye Jin made a donation to support Daegu city fighting the Covid-19 epidemic.

On February 27, Community Chest of Korea said, "On February 26, Son Ye Jin's side has donated 100 million won to Daegu Social Welfare Community Fund to help patients infected with the Covid-19."

Son Ye Jin always makes a positive impact through various donation activities such as supporting terminally ill children and supporting tuition for low-income disabled children. The actress shared, "Daegu has a special meaning to me because it is not only where I was born and raised but also where my parents are living now. I feel hurt and regretful even more when watching information about Daegu via the news. More than ever, I hope the helping hands can really give timely support for low-income people as well as the prevention and treatment of the Covid-19 disease."

The donation amount is expected to be transferred to areas that are struggling with the Coronavirus to provide the necessary epidemic prevention equipment and treatment for low-income patients in Daegu.

love her kind heart but most importantly..... finally some movements from her to let us know she’s alive & well LOL probably sipping coffee on her couch hahahaha

helps us to get through this drought yeah

• Like 1
  • Love 7