Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

• 2 months later...

Song Joong Ki’s New Film Premiere Attended By Star-Studded List Of Korean Artists – But Where Was Song Hye Kyo?

By Thuy Duong

On July 20, the premiere event of Song Joong Ki’s most anticipated film project The Battleship Island took place at CGV Yongsan, Seoul, South Korea.

At the event, the movie’s three main actors; Song Joong Ki, So Ji Sub and Hwang Jung Min, expressed excitement for their new film’s premiere. The movie event gathered a star-studded list of celebrities, including Dara, Lee Min Jung, Sung Yuri, Son Ye Jin, Park Si Yeon, Gong Hyo Jin, Yoo Seung Ho, Jang Dong Gun, Song Seung Hun, iKON, and EXID.

2-5.jpg?fit=530,930

*(our YeJin shines even in simple attire, shorten length hairstyle.)

source

*italics mine.

• 3 months later...

Movie Review: The Spell That Made Us All Fall for Spellbound (2011)

spellbound-featured.jpg?w=678
Date: October 27, 2017 Author: unicaahjumma
spellbound-poster.jpg?w=550&h=781Spellbound a.k.a. Chilling Romance movie poster

Having the ability to see what normal people don’t like ghosts and other unworldly things, is it a curse or a gift? Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you’d consider this as something that could save lives or bring justice to restless souls, then it’s a gift. But if you’d see this as something that could ruin your peace and sanity, then it’s definitely a curse. For me, if this would lead me to my one true love (just like the heroine in this feature), then I would embrace this ability with arms wide open as if it’s a blessing from up above. ㅋㅋㅋ. So without much further ado, let me present to you K-Movie Corner‘s Halloween special, Spellbound!

This 2011 horror romcom movie centers on the love story of a street magician (Lee Min-ki) and a ghost-seeing girl (Son Ye-jin), which reminds me so much of the K-Dramas Master’s Sun (2013) and Oh My Ghostess (2015). They all delivered a perfect combination of almost all the feels—spooky, romantic, comedic, and dramatic, making them the top favorites in their genre. But I will be honest here, unlike the two K-Dramas that are filled with lots of twists, Spellbound has a very familiar, if not cliche, movie plot. You know, the guy meets the girl, gets close to her, then discovers her pitiful situation but falls in love with her anyway. Nonetheless, I find the movie very entertaining primarily because of its charming leads, who displayed a very strong chemistry on screen.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

spellbound-son-yejin.jpg?w=1024&h=550Son Ye-jin in character as Kang Yeo-ri in the movie Spellbound spellbound-son-yejin2.jpg?w=900&h=600Son Ye-jin looks very cute in her drunk scenes. son-yejin.jpg?w=720&h=400Would you believe that Son Ye-jin was almost 30 years old when she filmed Spellbound, yet she could still pass as a highschooler with no sweat?

Son Ye-jin is one of those actresses that I truly respect because her acting is always on point. I loved her so much in The Classic and Eraser in My Headwherein her dramatic scenes got me crying a river. Here, she proved her versatility by showcasing a lighter side of her acting prowess. In fact, she got a Best Actress nomination at the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards for her performance in this film. Aside from that, her non-aging visuals never fail to mesmerize me. There are flashback scenes in this movie wherein she’s shown as high school student and girl, she could really pass as one!

Read the full review here: 

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2017/10/27/movie-review-the-spell-that-made-us-all-fall-for-spellbound-2011/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

November 28, 2017

Max Movie - My Daily Survey | 

Kim Hye Soo tops movie ticket power for 2 consecutive years

Source: Max Movie

%EC%97%AC%EB%B0%B0%EC%9A%B0.jpg

Max Movie - My Daily has conducted a survey from November 3 till November 20 which revealed the list of the best female movie actresses with the highest ticket power in Korea.

The ranking as follows:

1. Kim Hye Soo

2. Son Ye Jin

3. Moon So Ri 

4. Jeon Do Yeon

5. Chun Woo Hee

6. Ra Mi Ran

7. Gong Hyo Jin

8. Kim Tae Ri

9. Jeon Ji Hyun

10. Han Hyo Joo

20171127_cjs_e_1000001-700x382.jpg

^ Details of participants taking part in the survey conducted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

January 10, 2018

[Lily's Take] Top Actresses Attend Son Ye-jin's Birthday Party

Source: HanCinema.net

photo931020.jpg

To celebrate their best friend's birthday, top actresses like Gong Hyo-jin, Lee Min Jung, Oh Yoon-ah, Uhm Ji-won, Song Yoon-ah, and Lee Jung-hyun came together. Here are some of the pictures taken at actress Son Ye-jin's birthday party!

photo931022.jpg

This truly is a gathering of goddesses. There are beautiful actresses everywhere the head turns. Upon release of these photos of Son Ye-jin's birthday celebration, many netizens commented that this line up makes the scene look like they are at an award ceremony since there are so many top actresses all in one place.

photo931023.jpg

This group of friendship may be surprising to those who weren't aware of it, but actually, this beautiful actress squad is already a famous squad in Korean celebrity world.

In fact, they've spend time together during their birthday's for several years now.

photo931028.jpg

These photogenic beauties make even the ordinary gathering look like a photo taken from a magazine photoshoot.

Their friendship is making people be envious. Many people expressed they would love to have a friendship this strong and some even mentioned their lifetime wish is to join this group of friends.

photo931026.jpg

Cheers to these sparkling friendships so that they may last forever. Also, Happy Birthday to our beautiful Son Ye-jin!

photo931027.jpg

By: Lily Lee

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So Ji Sub and Son Ye Jin are a sweet couple in official posters of 'Be With You'

So-Ji-Sub,son-ye-jin

Actor So Ji Sub and actress Son Ye Jin showed off their sweet chemistry, posing as a couple in official posters for the Korean remake film, 'Be With You'.

The images illustrated a serene aura and consisted of the actor and actress sitting inside a bus, or admiring the spring weather outdoors. The poster captions read, "Do you have someone like that? That one miraculous person", and "After leaving this world a year ago, she has come back."

Many are looking forward to the duo's acting since starring in 'Delicious Proposal' together in 2001. Based on the popular Japanese film of the same title, 'Be With You' is set to hit theaters on March 14, just in time for White Day!

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/02/so-ji-sub-and-son-ye-jin-are-a-sweet-couple-in-official-posters-of-be-with-you

• Like 2

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] First Adorable Teaser for "Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food"

photo950727.jpg

And buying you food is all she's going to do unless you find the courage to confess, good man! The first teaser is out for "Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food", and the title makes a bit more sense now, in a most adorable way at that! Jung Hae-in's Seo Joon-hee may be smooth at work, but he clearly needs some help in the romance department.

The teaser is delightfully simple and endearing, with the ever-hovering boyfriend arm not managing to make contact in the sea of awkwardness that our hero is drowning in. Despite Yoon Jin-ah's (Son Ye-jin) eagerness for a reply, Joon-hee concludes his almost-confessional what-ifs and maybes with the request for her to become the one who buys him food.

Well, I suppose that's one way to put it and get the ball rolling. "Noona" romances are often very fanservice-y and mostly there to highlight the male lead, but my hope for "Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food" is a bit of a more down to Earth approach at dating across age and hierarchy. Not that another cutesy rom-com sounds too bad, but I hope the drama diversifies.

Let's see what "Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food" has in store for its next teaser, and let's hope that hand manages to land on said noona at some point.

https://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-first-adorable-teaser-for-pretty-sister-who-buys-me-food-116132.html

• Like 2

March 9, 2018

Capturing the most precious moments of love

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

08214004.jpg

Adapted from a Japanese romance novel of the same title, the heart-wrenching love story “Be With You” stars So Ji-sub, left, and Son Ye-jin. [LOTTE CINEMA]

Heartthrobs So Ji-sub and Son Ye-jin are returning to the silver screen in the upcoming romance flick “Be With You.”

Adapted from a Japanese novel written by Takuji Ichikawa, the film follows a deceased wife Su-a (Son), who miraculously returns to her still-bereaving husband U-jin (So) and son Ji-ho (Kim Ji-hwan) during the monsoon season. After a moment of pleasant shock, the two realize that Su-a does not recognize who they are. 

Curious to know about her love story with U-jin, the female protagonist gradually learns about the time she spent with her husband and son before her unfortunate death. But by the time that she realizes how much U-jin and Ji-ho mean to her, the monsoon season is nearly over and Su-a needs to return to the afterlife. 

The popular tale was made into a movie in Japan in 2004. 

“I first learned about the story through the novel instead of the movie. [Through my movie], I hope to deliver the comfort I received through the novel to the audience,” said director and writer Lee Jang-hun during a press event held in eastern Seoul on Tuesday. “After mulling over what love is for a long time, I eventually came to the conclusion that maybe just being beside [the one you love] is enough. This is the message I wanted to include in the film.”

The filmmaker further explained that he did his best to unfold the tale in a way that does not destroy the original because he was “overwhelmed by the [success] of the original and how well it was received.”

Son, known for her roles in romance movies like “A Moment to Remember” (2004) and “The Classic” (2003), said the biggest challenge for her was looking natural on screen.

“I was constantly mulling over how to naturally bring out the feelings that can be expressed from pure love after many years [away from romance films],” said Son.

For So, playing U-jin was enjoyable because the character resembles who he is in real life.

“Deficient, humorless and careless. These [qualities of U-jin] are very similar to my actual self. So I was happy and was comfortable while shooting the film,” said So. 

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 2

March 9, 2018

'Melodrama queen' back to silver screen with remake of Japanese romance film

SEOUL, March 9 (Yonhap) -- Once a sure-fire success formula at Korean cinema, romantic movies are a rarity these days, eclipsed by male-oriented crime thrillers and period flicks.

Son Ye-jin, a top melodrama star, has long been thirsty for a well-made movie of that genre, as both an actress and viewer, until she encountered "Be With You," her latest title, which is set to open Wednesday.

"I know you love my acting in melodrama movies. I also wanted to see a new one as a viewer," Son said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a Seoul cafe. "I missed a film that depicts a pure love story with beautiful images and music, and I had a thirst for that kind of acting as an actor."

AEN20180309011400315_01_i.jpg

Son has earned the moniker "melodrama queen" for her unrivaled position as the top actress in that genre. She starred in many hit movies, such as "Lover's Concerto" (2002), "The Classic" (2003), "A Moment to Remember" (2004).

The actress, who turned 36 in January, says she comfortably filmed "Be With You" partly because it did not have many close-up scenes and she surely knew how to act as she got older.

"When I filmed 'The Classic,' there were lots of things that I didn't know or were too difficult. But this time, I wondered if it's okay to work this easily."

"Be With You" is the Korean remake of a highly successful 2004 Japanese romance about a mother who returns to her family a year after her death. The character of Son's mother, named Su-ah, returns one year after death with the start of the summer rainy season. Losing her memory, Su-ah falls in love with her husband, Woo-jin (played by So Ji-sub), once again, as he recalls his old memories of life with her. But the magical time permitted for their reunion lasts only until the end of the rainy season.

"It starts with the high school days and ranges over dating, marrying, having a baby and the process of parting again. It was different from previous romance movies for comprehensively including thoughts about life."

The actress said the chemistry of lead actors is crucial for a melodrama, to the point that she can even picture a totally different movie depending on who her counterpart is.

"I thought the movie already achieved a half success when So chose to be in it," she recalled. "I handed tissues out to Ji-sub during a media screening for the movie because he wept a lot. I think he was really immersed ... I'm grateful for him."

After the release of the movie, Son is scheduled to return to the small screen, after five years away, with a JTBC TV romance series. Her next movie, whose title roughly translates as "Negotiation," is waiting for a theatrical release later in the year. In the movie, she co-stars with actor Hyun Bin as a police negotiator named Ha Chae-yoon.

"Becoming able to do a melodrama movie means a lot to me even though you may think I'm exaggerating if I describe the feeling as 'moving.' I think I'm blessed."

sshim@yna.co.kr

• Like 2

As a fan, I'm looking forward to both her movie "Be With You" and drama "Pretty Noona". I hope this will be a good year for her. I first fell in love when I watched "A Moment To Remember" and it impacted me a lot. Last year, I watched "The Classic" and wept a lot too. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

South Korea’s ‘Be With You’ Heads for North American Release

CREDIT: COURTESY OF LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT

“Be With You,” a melodrama that opened on top of the South Korean box office Wednesday, will be released in the U.S. and U.K.

Rights to the film, which was directed by Lee Chang-hoon, were picked up by specialty distributor JBG, from South Korean film conglomerate Lotte Entertainment, for North America, the U.K. and Ireland.

The film is a remake of a 2004 Japanese film of the same title, about a woman who dies and leaves behind her son and husband. She then returns a year later, putting her fate as a spirit on the line for the sake of her earthly family.

Top Korean stars Son Ye-jin and So Ji Sub headline the picture. It also stars veteran actor Ko Chang-seok (“Secretly, Greatly”) and Kim Ji Jwan, a new child actor.

The film’s star power will help it launch in Asian territories. It will be released in Singapore on April 19 by Purple Plan, and in Vietnam on April 6. Movie Cloud will release it in Taiwan on March 30. Lotte also licensed the film to Sahamongkolfilm International for Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Viva Entertainment acquired it for the Philippines. Purple Plan also has rights in Malaysia and Indonesia.

The film got off to a good start in Korean theaters, with $805,000 from 112,000 admissions Wednesday. According to data from the Korean Film Council’s KOBIS tracking service, it played on 987 screens and enjoyed a 35% market share.

Production of the film was by Movie Rock, the company behind “Midnight Runners,” which was also released by Lotte. Spackman Entertainment, a Singapore-based mini conglomerate with multiple interests in the Korean entertainment scene, represents Son and So. It also put up $450,000 (KRW5 million) as a co-investor in the picture.

@@@@  does anyone know when it will be released in USA?