Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Comparison of Japan Box Office of April Snow and AMTR (Eraser)

Week 1:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 433

Average box office per cinema: $6,606

Weekend box office: $2,860,287

Total box office: $2,860,287

Eraser

Total cinema showing: 308

Average box office per cinema: not available

Weekend box office: $1,967,448

Total box office: $1,967,448

Week 2:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 431

Average box office per cinema: $3,656

Weekend box office, $1,575,587

Total box office, $9,833,616

Box office change: -45%

Eraser

Total cinema showing: 300

Average box office per cinema: $6,361

Weekend box office, $1,908,425

Total box office, $6,692,893

Box office change: -3%

Week 3:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 360

Average box office per cinema: $3,324

Weekend box office, $1,196,621

Total box office: $15,085,920

Box office change: -24%

Eraser

Total cinema showing: 295

Average box office per cinema: $6,250

Weekend box office: $1,843,855

Total box office, $11,809,654

Box office change: -3%

ALWAYS was no. 1 with weekend box office of $1,844,651 which was just $1,000 more than Eraser....5555

Week 4:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 325

Average box office per cinema: $2,488

Weekend box office, $808,678

Total box office, $18,154,044

Box office change: -32%

Eraser Still waiting....

Total cinema showing:

Average box office per cinema:

Weekend box office:

Total box office:

Box office change:

Week 5:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 322

Average box office per cinema: $1,715

Weekend box office: $552,325

Total box office: $20,029,685

Box office change: -32%

Eraser Still waiting....

Total cinema showing:

Weekend box office:

Total box office:

Box office change:

Week 6:

April Snow

Total cinema showing: 287

Average box office per cinema: $1,024

Weekend box office: $293,779

Total box office: $21,669,807

Box office change: -47%

Eraser Still waiting....

Total cinema showing:

Weekend box office:

Total box office:

Box office change:

Source: Nielsen EDI and Variety

(1) All box office figures are in US$. To convert, multiply by 117 Yen per US$.

(2) Nielsen EDI uses a 3 days weekend from Fri to Sun. In Japan, they use a 2-day weekend from Sat to Sun, hence box office positions differed in some weeks between the two charts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal analysis:

(1) April Snow was unfortunate not to be no. 1 because its first weekend box office of US$2,860,287 was very high comparing to many no.1 movies in Japan. Any movie competing with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would be difficult.

(2) The very high box office of April Snow in its first weekend was due to two factors. Firstly, the opening no. of cinemas were 433. Then of course BYJ fans rushing to watch it. And watched the movie several times per person. AMTR only has about 308 cinemas showing in the first week. Gaga has under-estimated the pulling power of Eraser but cannot blame them since neither Woo Sung or Ye Jin has a big fan base in Japan.

(3) The change in box office of April Snow was -45% in 2nd week and - 25% in 3rd week. The change in box office of Eraser was -3% in 2nd week and -3% in 3rd week. The big decrease in box office of April Snow in 2nd and 3rd week could be due to several factors. Ardent BYJ fans watched multiple times in the first week and of course would be watching less often in the 2nd and 3rd week. Secondly, words of mouth effect may not be that strong.

(4) Once the effect of the huge fan base of BYJ decreased as the week went by, the box office of Eraser was actually higher than April Snow in the 2nd and 3rd week. By week 2, the weekend box office of Eraser (US$1.9 million) was already higher than April Snow (US$1.6) and again this was the case in week 3 (US$1.8 million versus US$1.2 million). This does not mean that April Snow is an inferior movie versus Eraser. The potential market size of April Snow, being an art and slow-going film, should naturally be less than a more contemporary pop movie like Eraser.

(5) Words of mouth effect is very strong for Eraser judging by the minimal drop of 3% in the 2nd and 3rd week for the movie. This is abnormal because the box office of most blockbusters tend to drop a lot every week. For example, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride dropped 29%, Spring Snow dropped 37% and Charles and The Chocolate Factory dropped 15% in 2nd week.

(6) So will the total box office of Eraser exceeds April Snow?

Going by the week-to-week comparison, the total box office of Eraser is still slower than April Snow in the third week. But this is largely due to the huge fan base of BYJ. Once the effect of BYJ's huge fan base is gone in week 2 onwards, the weekly box office of Eraser was higher than April Snow.

If Eraser is to exceed April Snow eventually, it will have to keep its momentum of losing box office slowly and maintaining a higher box office from week 4 and beyond versus April Snow to make up for the huge box office sales of April Snow in the first 2 weeks. It may also have to stay in the top 10 box office for longer than 6 weeks which was the case for April Snow. The prospect of this happening is good judging by the strong words-of-mouth effect of Eraser.

I will continue to monitor and complete the comparisons for week 4 to week 6. But whichever movie comes first is ok for us..because both are Ye jin's movies ^_^

The blog of a Japanese who is not into Hallyu

http://blog.livedoor.jp/yukinkochan/archives/50248381.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was my off day two days ago and I went to watch a movie.

This time, we went to watch AMTR which was highly recommended by our friends. I suspected they over-recommended the movie.

This was a Korean movie? I was never keen on Korean movie. Oh well, it was ladies’ day and the ticket price was only 1,000 yen. (^o^)

We sat somewhere in front and when the movie began, the largeness of the screen and the loudness of the sound effect surprised me. Yeah, watching in a cinema is more effective than watching a TV at home.

I was again surprised how easy the story grabbed me. This was a Korean movie but I didn’t feel any difference to Japanese movies. After 30 minutes, it was nice but I was getting tired because I didn’t sleep enough the day before.

5 minutes later…

I tell myself, “Hmm…I better control myself, I feel my tears moving inside my eyes…”. Tears came. Tears flowed down my cheeks non-stop. It was so natural. It was like I was washing my face with water. I wanted a towel….I just kept crying. My shoulder was trembling and I could not keep my crying sound inside my mouth.

The screen became blurred because of all the tears. I looked beside me and my friend was also crying and we looked at each other, grinned and smiled.

I was very moved. My tears just flowed like the water from a broken water tap. Until now, the only time I have cried like this was when a lot of shampoo got into my eyes when I was still in primary school.

It’s funny. It was supposed to be a very sad movie. But at the end of the movie, I was happy and felt blissful. The two lead characters were wonderful. Now I understood why Hallyu has captivated some aunties.

‘A Moment To Remember’

Two days have past since I watched the movie. But I am still affected by the story. Although I will slowly forget the details of the movie but I think I will always remember this movie. It is that kind of movie.

Please watch this movie, everyone. And come here to post your feelings.

P.S. I saw many men cried in the cinema too...

yups..she is veryy pretty..and attractive.

Hi winternight,

Welcome....so are you....so are you...

Hope to see you around here more often!!

Waves back to yah jhing matey!

Hae-won sis, juz saw da April Snow trailers on TV last night. Yeh , too?

:D sO-So nice to see RWSJlove, kalsue, yuta_rule `en hallen back in tis thread. Hello ev'ry one!!!

Wisey, like we alwayz speak out to yah... thanx for da AS `en AMTR updatez plus da photos from Arts Of Seduction.

:D

Guest sandrydc

I collected some comments on our SYJ from Director Hur & BYJ during their promotion campaign for April Snow in China.

Source: sina.com.cn

Host: How was working together with SYJ?

Director Hur: Although SYJ is a bit too young for her role in Oe Chool, she has the maturity. Her performance in Oe Chool was very good.

BYJ: SYJ is a very professional and good actress. Though she is young, and we have a wide age gap, she is very mature. We were very happy working together, there was not much of a problem, she's a very good actress.

Source: ent.163.com

Q: I'd like to ask a question to director Hur. Miss SYJ is quite similar to many other Korean actresses, why do you choose her rather than Song Hye Kyo or others? In addition to that, I'd like to ask Mr. BYJ, could you please tell us what is the difference that you feel about actresses Choi Ji Woo and SYJ, who you have both worked with?

HJH: The first time I met with Miss SYJ I already sensed that there are both mature side and pure & simple side in her personality. That is what I'm satisfy with her so that I cooperated with her in this movie.

BYJ: I knew CJW long time ago, therefore we don't feel any burden to collaborate with each other. I'll be very happy if we work again together. As for SYJ, although we have age difference, SYJ is rather mature compare to her age; therefore I could not feel such a difference. Despite that we both worked so hard in this movie, our cooperation was still fairly comfortable.

Thanks Ginagan & Liezle in BJY thread.

I'm not sure if this picture was posted or not but I like it.

4653607_1280x960.jpg

Guest chiligoyo

Was wondering if u guys have seen these pics of SYJ? She looked so sexy in them~ Yep, she has indeed matured and changed her image a whole lot!

Source:

20R8AST500AJ0003.jpg

200510281841587156551257.jpg

200510281841588757345422.jpg

200510281841589370842295.jpg

200510281841582796424908.jpg

200510281841588256156733.jpg