Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Yay! SYJ updated her IG yesterday. She uploaded several pics of gifts that she received from international fans and thanked them in Hangul and English :glee:

...very thoughtful and sweet of her... 

Her caption/message in Hangul:

안녕하세요~어려운 시기에 잘지내고계신가요? 여러분이 주시는 선물.꽃.편지.케잌들.항상 잘 받고있어요. 일일이 고맙다고 말을못해서 이렇게 글을써요.정말 여러분들이 주는사랑에 문득문득 뭉클할때가있어요.여러분이 선물을 고르기전에 편지를 쓰기전에 얼마나 예쁜마음으로 준비를하고 고민을할지 느껴져서 그런것같아요.
그동안 보내준 선물들 사진을 다찍어두지 못해서 미안해요.
집은항상 여러분이 보내주는 화분과꽃으로 향기가 가득하고 주위사람들과 자르기도 아까운 케잌들을 아주 자주 나눠먹어요~여러분들이 주시는 사랑이 너무 커서 그것을 기쁘게만 받아도 될지 모를정도에요.
항상 감사하고 잊지않을께요.
우리 계속 건강지키면서 다시 웃으며 깊은허그를 할수있는 날이 오길 바래요.건강하세요!

Her caption/message in English:

Hi~Are you guys doing well? We’re spending a hard time.
I always received presents,flowers,cakes and letters. Unfortunately I can’t thank each person. So I’m writing now.
When I think about your support and love, I feel very touched.
Before buying presents or writing letters
I can’t imagine,How much you are thinking of and considering..
I’m so sorry, I couldn’t photograph everything.
My house is always beautifully filled with the scent of flowers and plants that I’ve received from you. And I’m eating cakes are too pretty to cut with my family very often.
I’m always appreciate and won’t forget.
We should keep going our health and I hope someday we can meet again and share a warm hug.
Thank you  Be safe

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 4

https://zapzee.net/2020/09/22/kang-ha-neul-confirmed-to-appear-in-upcoming-drama-as-the-father-role-of-the-character-he-first-received-the-offer/
Kang Ha Neul Confirmed to Appear in Upcoming Drama as the Father Role of the Character He First Received the Offer

by krishkim

8E74F780-15AC-4348-9F47-1D0EB0950880.jpg
Credit: 10 Asia

Kang Ha Neul will appear as another character in the new drama Pyeonggang, Cut to the Heart (literal title) instead of the male lead Ondal. 

According to a media outlet, Kang Ha Neul will appear in the drama Pyeonggang, Cut to the Heart as Ondal’s father. He was originally offered to play the role of Ondal, but decided to take on another character as it became impossible to join the project as lead role due to his movie schedules. 

Onhyeop, played by Kang Ha Neul, is the father of the male lead Ondal. He is one of the main characters in the early parts of the drama, and will instill an image of “the nation’s General.”

Yesterday, news of the actor declining the offer to play Ondal was released, disappointing fans who have been waiting for Son Ye Jin and Kang Ha Neul on the same project. 

Pyeonggang, Cut to the Heart is a historical drama that tells the tragic love story between Princess Pyeonggang, who uses Ondal’s feelings to her advantage, and Ondal, who makes foolish sacrifices. Earlier, it was reported that Son Ye Jin and Kang Ha Neul are in talks to star as Princess Pyeonggang and Ondal. 

Source (1)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not surprised that Kang Ha Neul turned down the lead in Cut to the Heart. After his award show win, he said in an interview that he was going to take time off after finishing the film Pirates 2, currently in production.

I also read there are a few negative comments about SYJ taking the role because the female lead in the folk tale was a teenager. I personally thought she would pass on this specific project to concentrate on a new film project.

South Korean film productions are down 22 percent. COVID has hampered movie theaters and box office to the point that many projects will not be considered until late 2021. It would not surprise me if she took off a year (as she had done in the past) before her next film since she has so many CF commitments.

• Like 2

The Esquire (2018) interview of SYJ was translated and posted by a co-fan on twitter

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

That was an excellent interview, thanks.  Shared my thoughts on it in HB/SYJ thread but cool if anyone wants to discuss it further here.  A lot of great SYJ content there!  I hope we'll get more such in depth interviews with SYJ.  Hopefully with the fan meeting too. No idea how those work. Is it just answering fan questions all the way through? Or they will play games? Or interviewer will ask some questions too?  Has SYJ done fan meetings in the past?  I think maybe not every actor does them or like goes on a tour of different Asian cities doing fan meetings?

Just finished watching The Last Princess.  I am glad SYJ got the chance to do a film portraying a historical figure (a very sadly tragic one at that) and tracing the trajectory of her life, which is not always an easy opportunity to come by for a female actor.  If more people wanted to learn more about this princess and that part of Korean history through the film, that's a good thing.  While I enjoyed the film, I think one issue with it is perhaps there isn't more known about the princess in real life?  So the personal characterisation couldn't go deeper, more complex, with more for SYJ to work on.  It was more a portrayal of a tragic figure being defined by her tragic circumstances.  I have really enjoyed some films about various periods of modern Korean history like A Taxi Driver, The Attorney etc, so if there's a strong script, I would love to see SYJ do a period film again.

Next up: hope to find The Pirates/My Wife Got Married somewhere to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, Seriya said:

Next up: hope to find The Pirates/My Wife Got Married somewhere to watch. 

The Pirates should be up on Youtube (legally) as one of their free movies with ads. I watched it on Youtube and I was pleasantly surprised that there were no ads at all, only at the beginning before the film started.

Here you go, I found it easily:

MWGM is a tougher find. You can try Dramacool for the sanitized version. But for the actual movie R-rated version, your best bet is finding torrents.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2020 at 2:07 AM, welh11 said:

I am not surprised that Kang Ha Neul turned down the lead in Cut to the Heart. After his award show win, he said in an interview that he was going to take time off after finishing the film Pirates 2, currently in production.

I also read there are a few negative comments about SYJ taking the role because the female lead in the folk tale was a teenager. I personally thought she would pass on this specific project to concentrate on a new film project.

South Korean film productions are down 22 percent. COVID has hampered movie theaters and box office to the point that many projects will not be considered until late 2021. It would not surprise me if she took off a year (as she had done in the past) before her next film since she has so many CF commitments.

Has she confirmed to take on the role of Princess pyeonggang yet? Yes agree with you that it won't be a surprise if she has no upcoming project before Cross :crymeme:

Thank you @slowpoked !

Youtube hasn't made the Pirates available in my country, bummer. If you don't mind, can you let me know a country where you can get access and I can try with a VPN.

i have tried looking for Pirates and MWGM or western torrent sites but no luck.  Yeah I definitely prefer to see the original R rated version lol.  Again, if you have any ideas about that please feel free to let me know here or via PM. Thank you.  I am especially curious about MWGM as SYJ got so many awards for it. 

Let's hope for some good new content from the fan meeting! 

SuzyLeoo, to my knowledge SYJ has not confirmed for any project, including the Cross. There is so much fan interest in Ye JIn that she felt overwhelmed by the interest in her. Many producers are trying to take advantage of her popularity. She may have "received" many scripts but that does not mean she is "considering" any offers.

• Insightful 1

2 hours ago, welh11 said:

SuzyLeoo, to my knowledge SYJ has not confirmed for any project, including the Cross. There is so much fan interest in Ye JIn that she felt overwhelmed by the interest in her. Many producers are trying to take advantage of her popularity. She may have "received" many scripts but that does not mean she is "considering" any offers.

Her agency has confirmed that her next project would be The Cross and she's fine tuning all the details

https://www.soompi.com/article/1421434wpp/son-ye-jin-and-kang-ha-neul-in-talks-to-lead-new-historical-drama

• Thanks 1

Hopefully The Cross can really happen, so many projects delayed or even cancelled due to covid.  I hope SYJ gets her chance to do a HW film. I read somewhere she had the chance before but didn't choose to do it in the end? HW film or no, what matters most is the script, the character, the director etc.  The director of The Cross has done some good and interesting films in the past so hopefully this project with SYJ can happen. 

The actor who played Pyo Chi So in CLOY has a great singing voice!  After speaking so harshly in CLOY hehe. So he sang that song as it was SYJ's favourite? How lovely. So her favourite song is One Late Night in 1994?  Lovely melody but it sounds like quite a melancholy song.  Does anyone know where it came from, was it a big hit in 1994?  Interesting choice of a favourite song for a young SYJ.

It was cool to see SYJ online.  Hopefully there will be a transcript/subbed video sometime.  And those were some nice gifts for fans!

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 3:17 AM, Seriya said:

Thank you @slowpoked !

Youtube hasn't made the Pirates available in my country, bummer. If you don't mind, can you let me know a country where you can get access and I can try with a VPN.

i have tried looking for Pirates and MWGM or western torrent sites but no luck.  Yeah I definitely prefer to see the original R rated version lol.  Again, if you have any ideas about that please feel free to let me know here or via PM. Thank you.  I am especially curious about MWGM as SYJ got so many awards for it. 

Oh that's a bummer. I didn't know there were restrictions per country. If it helps, I'm from the US and was able to watch The Pirates as a free Youtube movie.

• Like 2

SYJ to send greeting message:

The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Japan is holding an online reception for National Foundation Day...'Increase Korea-Japan Cooperation'

The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an "online national holiday reception" to mark the National Foundation Day on the 3rd.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday, the South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online National Day reception by producing videos and posting them on the embassy's YouTube channel under the theme of "promoting cooperation between South Korea and Japan to overcome new coronavirus infections."

The videos posted include a miracle animation of  애니메이션Children's Day Δ a collaboration of Korean and Japanese artists ΔCongratulatory messages from people from all walks of life. Specifically, it included an introduction to the cases of Korea-Japan cooperation related to Corona 19, a greeting from actor Son Ye-jin of "Crash Landing On You" an introduction of Japanese traditional musical instrument Goto, a collaboration with Japanese artists, and a wish for the success of the Tokyo Olympics, which was played by Corona 19.

"Although Korea and Japan are in a difficult time, we have a history of cooperation that has helped each other through more than 1,000 years of exchanges as our closest neighbors," said Nam Gwan-pyo, South Korea's ambassador to Japan, in a video message at the reception, stressing that cooperation between South Korea and Japan is more indispensable than ever due to the current stern environment.

a major article
1,362 flu vaccinations...489 more.

A series of personal attacks and taunts, a chaotic U.S. presidential debate..."The worst in history."

He added, "We hope that the two countries will overcome difficulties through dialogue and become more mature in confronting new challenges together while respecting each other."

Regarding the hosting of the reception, a ministry official expected that it will contribute to continuing exchanges and cooperation with key figures from all walks of life in Japan in a new attempt to overcome the constraints caused by the Corona 19.

(Seoul=News1)

https://www.donga.com/news/article/all/20200930/103205871/1

• Like 6

Very cool that SYJ will be representing Korea to promote KR-JP relations.  If there were a real life reception, no doubt she'd be invited.  It's really fantastic that SYJ and CLOY have been so embraced in Japan.  I wasn't sure how some scenes in CLOY re Japan would be received in Japan due to historical factors, but I'm glad to see the drama and actors have been warmly received.

• Like 4

Son Ye-jin said, "Japan fans, let's get through this together."

01.23944350.1.jpg

National Foundation Day Event for the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Japan
Input2020.10.01 08:11 Modify 2020.10.01 08:11
Clean View

The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online national holiday event on Thursday under the theme of "promoting cooperation between Korea and Japan to overcome Corona 19. Sohn Ye-jin, who plays the heroine in the hit drama "The Crash of Love" in Japan, said in a video message, "It's a pity that we can't talk directly to Japanese fans because of Corona 19," adding, "Although it's hard for the whole world, let's work together to overcome the difficulties."
The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online national holiday event on Thursday under the theme of "promoting cooperation between Korea and Japan to overcome Corona 19. Sohn Ye-jin, who plays the heroine in the hit drama "The Crash of Love" in Japan, said in a video message, "It's a pity that we can't talk directly to Japanese fans because of Corona 19," adding, "Although it's hard for the whole world, let's work together to overcome the difficulties."

The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online national holiday event on the 3rd under the theme of "promoting cooperation between Korea and Japan to overcome Corona 19.

The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Japan announced on the 1st that it has made a video of the "Miracle of Children's Day" animation "The Miracle of Children's Day" and posted congratulatory messages from people from all walks of life on the embassy's YouTube channel. The South Korean Embassy has held ceremonies every year to mark the opening of the National Foundation for International Cooperation and Development, which falls on October 3rd). This year, the company replaced the new coronavirus infection with an online event.

The embassy produced invitations printed with QR codes that connect directly to videos on YouTube channels and distributed them to about 2,600 Japanese political and business circles, academics, cultural and artistic figures, journalists and representatives of the Korean community.
related article
The Justice Party and the People's Solidarity for Participatory Democracy should also "allow car rallies"...a growing controversy over political immunity
警 Ban notice says the National Foundation Day protest group, "Apply a suspension to the court...The suppression of freedom of expression"
Signs of a crash on National Foundation Day."license suspension" vs "overactive"
"Miracle on Children's Day" is an animated film about a Korean leukemia child living in India returning home safely in May with the help of South Korea, Japan and India. In addition to Japanese, English subtitles were added to deliver a message of international cooperation to overcome Korona 19.
The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online national holiday event on Thursday under the theme of "promoting cooperation between Korea and Japan to overcome Corona 19. At the event, traditional musical instruments of the two countries, Gayageum and Goto's concerto will be held.
The South Korean Embassy in Japan will hold an online national holiday event on Thursday under the theme of "promoting cooperation between Korea and Japan to overcome Corona 19. At the event, traditional musical instruments of the two countries, Gayageum and Goto's concerto will be held.

The collaboration between Korean and Japanese artists consisted of traditional musical instruments of the two countries, Gayageum and Goto, Korean-Japanese pianist Yang Bang-eon, and ensemble of Japanese violinists and cellists. In addition, Sopnano Koda Hiroko sang "Kite" by Japanese boy band Arashi, one of the cheering songs for the Tokyo Olympics, to cheer for the Tokyo Olympics.

Japan sent congratulatory messages to Konosuke Kokuba, a political affairs official at the Foreign Ministry, Fukushiro Nukaga, chairman of the Japan-Korea Parliamentarians' Union, Mikio Sasaki, president of the Japan-Japan Economic Association, and Masao Okonogi, an honorary professor at Keio University.

On the South Korean side, Son Ye-jin, the heroine of the hit drama "Crash Landing On You" delivered a video message. "It's a pity that we can't talk directly to Japanese fans because of Corona 19," Sohn said. "It's hard for the whole world, but let's work together to overcome the difficulties."

South Korean Ambassador Nam Gwan-pyo said, "With Korea and Japan respecting each other, let's overcome difficulties through dialogue and face new challenges together."

https://www.hankyung.com/international/article/202009294689i

• Like 9
  • Wiggle 1

The Video from the Japan greeting:

Hello. I am actress Son Yejin. To mark the National Foundation Day of South Korea, I am greeting to the viewers who are watching this video. Recently, I heard that many people in Japan love CLOY. If it wasn't for covid19, I would have gone there personally to talk with everyone. It was unfortunate that I could not. The whole world is in a difficult situation because of covid19,but if we work together, I believe we will be able to overcome this difficult situation quicker. In the future, please continue to love actress Son Yejin. Thank you! I hope everyone will stay healthy and be happy. Fighting!" -

• Like 7