Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

If you look at SYJ filmography, she was doing one project per year until 2016, when she did two large movie projects. She has been working non-stop from then, with last year's two movies and one TV series (Something in the Rain which added several commercial endorsements to her schedule) which was her busiest year of her career. In the past, it appeared that she took her a long time off to re-charge and carefully select her new project. As a spokesmodel, those contracts usually last a year with several photo shoots and personal appearances required by the star. I think she has 3 or more CF deals so she may be privately scheduled to have some CF every month (which could be shot around another project shooting schedule as she did for her movie promotions during the TV series). Based on last year's interviews, I think she is more interested in challenging movie roles than dating or marriage (she referenced no strong desire to have children at this moment). I believe that she is taking and extended time off to travel and visit friends before finding another film project.

It also should be noted that Korea is now the 4th largest film theater market, but it is being over run by Hollywood blockbuster movies. This puts more pressure on Korea film creators (and stars reputations) to make a profit with less theater showings. Many Korean stars are looking to expand overseas into China and USA (specifically Netflix which is spending a fortune for original content) where production budgets (and pay) are larger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, welh said:

Based on last year's interviews, I think she is more interested in challenging movie roles than dating or marriage (she referenced no strong desire to have children at this moment). I believe that she is taking and extended time off to travel and visit friends before finding another film project.

Firstly, I don’t know which interview you mentioned but I think her latest interview is with The Fact Korea dated October 2018. And assuming it was taken during Negotiation promotion period which I think she’s still single then. After she has a rumoured boyfriend there is no interview about her view of love or marriage so her view could be different now.

Secondly, if she enjoys travelling with normal friends at the moment she will post her pictures on instagram just like she always did in the past. This time she is  abnormally quiet, maybe she’s with someone so special that she just can’t post their pictures? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VivianWww said:

Firstly, I don’t know which interview you mentioned but I think her latest interview is with The Fact Korea dated October 2018. And assuming it was taken during Negotiation promotion period which I think she’s still single then. After she has a rumoured boyfriend there is no interview about her view of love or marriage so her view could be different now.

Secondly, if she enjoys travelling with normal friends at the moment she will post her pictures on instagram just like she always did in the past. This time she is  abnormally quiet, maybe she’s with someone so special that she just can’t post their pictures? 

yeah,i think her last interview was on Oct 2018 for The Fact..

She did mention that marriage is her dream goal.

And when she meet a good man before 40,she will get married right away...

She’s  not only quiet during travelling this time,but also no pic of her birthday celebration as well like she always did in the past..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, VivianWww said:

12 hours ago, cybertron said:

yeah,i think her last interview was on Oct 2018 for The Fact..

She did mention that marriage is her dream goal.

And when she meet a good man before 40,she will get married right away...

She’s  not only quiet during travelling this time,but also no pic of her birthday celebration as well like she always did in the past..

If I remember it right, in her The Fact interview she specifically said as a parting shot that "she's on the lookout for her perfect match". In other words, she's interested in getting married, just that she doesn't want to compromise and just settle for whoever is available. She knows her worth and is waiting for the right man for her. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thi2018 said:

HB is so thoughtful. He’s really nice to Yejjn

Thanks for posting this. HB is a perfect gentleman, and he's been especially very considerate and careful towards SYJ in all the promo vids & BTS I've seen of them. I may not know how he is also w/ his other female co-actors, but maybe due to the fact that in their Negotiation promos, it'a always just the 2 of them unlike in his other projects where other actors are also present other than the leading ladies, I notice that he's really sweet and protective of SYJ. Whenever they sit on the bus together, he always sits on the outer aisle side w/ SYJ is always on the inside. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

It’s been one and a half month since HB & SYJ received offer to star in new drama. I wonder why it takes them so long to review the offer. In HB’s recent public appearance he didn’t look too happy. I hope they are doing ok.

When can we hear about their dating news like So Ji Sub?????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VivianWww said:

It’s been one and a half month since HB & SYJ received offer to star in new drama. I wonder why it takes them so long to review the offer. In HB’s recent public appearance he didn’t look too happy. I hope they are doing ok.

When can we hear about their dating news like So Ji Sub?????

isn’t he always like that..

i mean he smile a bit,and calm..

maybe he just tired..

SK - HK - Interview - FM - HK- SK

some HK fans said he look sooo happy during his fm...

5 hours ago, kynnngsoonim said:

Wowww congrats to So Jisub. Lol, just wanna share this article when knetz suspected that he and SYJ are dating before. LOL http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/04/celebrity-scoop-journalist-baek-hyun.html?m=1

people still mention yejin on twitter..

they really expect sjs and yejin to date each other..

funny comment : “now hyun bin & son ye jin in peace”

• Like 4

I re-watched the SBS interview of Jo Eun Jung with Ji Sub and Ye Jin as they were promoting their film, "Be With You." JS and YJ interactions in the interview were playful and funny, much like YJ and HB's interviews for "Negotiation." After each film promotion, fans shipped the leads. Now we know the JS-YE chemistry was platonic not romantic.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, welh said:

I re-watched the SBS interview of Jo Eun Jung with Ji Sub and Ye Jin as they were promoting their film, "Be With You." JS and YJ interactions in the interview were playful and funny, much like YJ and HB's interviews for "Negotiation." After each film promotion, fans shipped the leads. Now we know the JS-YE chemistry was platonic not romantic.

i personally think SJS-Yejin insterview more like KNG&Yejin interview...

Both SJS & KNG always tease her and she doesnt seems uncomfortable with them..

While with HB Yejin is the one that playful but still look like she kinda “behave”..:lol:

• Like 3

It's not that fans always ship her with any co-star. I can recall Lee Min Ki, Lee Min Ho, Go Soo... Maybe there are some but it's just minority. 

I don't know about other fans. But personally, I have always thought the chemistry between Ye Jin and So Ji Sub was totally brother-sister. With her called him oppa and he seemed not very intimate to her. They sent food trucks to each other like colleagues . Basically nothing to ship with these two.

But with Hyun Bin, I could totally see the vibe and their chemistry which was so explosive since the 1st day of Negotiation promotion. When I ship a couple, being handsome and pretty is not the factor but the vibe between them, how they react to each other which hits me so hard and gives me instinct feeling. You cannot deny that despite being mischievous and teasing him, Ye Jin seemed shy and more feminine in many stage greetings. Not to mention the evidence with 4 reports of witnessing them together. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, bichngoc93 said:

It's not that fans always ship her with any co-star. I can recall Lee Min Ki, Lee Min Ho, Go Soo... Maybe there are some but it's just minority. 

I don't know about other fans. But personally, I have always thought the chemistry between Ye Jin and So Ji Sub was totally brother-sister. With her called him oppa and he seemed not very intimate to her. They sent food trucks to each other like colleagues . Basically nothing to ship with these two.

But with Hyun Bin, I could totally see the vibe and their chemistry which was so explosive since the 1st day of Negotiation promotion. When I ship a couple, being handsome and pretty is not the factor but the vibe between them, how they react to each other which hits me so hard and gives me instinct feeling. You cannot deny that despite being mischievous and teasing him, Ye Jin seemed shy and more feminine in many stage greetings. Not to mention the evidence with 4 reports of witnessing them together. 

I agreed with you. To me, her vibe with SJS was never more than brother-sister kind of thing. They are close and comfortable with each other but nothing special.

With KNG, I can see clearly that he was interested in her. From her side I don’t have enough evidence partly because it happened a long time ago, there are not enough available videos between them together. But I have a sense they might have a brief fling, just imo.

With HB, there are plenty of records of video clips, photos, interviews together. I can firmly see their affection towards each other, from both side. Maybe from HB is more dominant. I never saw him care so much about his co star, or so comfortable and happy whenever he’s with her despite his shy and reserved personality. 

And I don’t think the report about their rumoured relationship is PR like these ladies said in the astrology clip because:

1) The timing is odd. The first rumour happened when HB’s drama was still airing. Would that have bad effect with the rating?

If this rumour serves the coming drama then it happened too early. And they didn’t take advantage of it as they should. They are so awfully quiet. They should confirm

the drama quicker to get the hot attention & potential endorsements.

2) HB’s agency said his trip to US last year was for post drama production but he went back to Korea by himself, pushing the luggages out of arrival gate then a few of his staffs came and help him. Well, if he went alone that means it’s a private and personal trip. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Oww TooCute said:

Her chemistry with JHI is also considerable though :)

I think they are great partners in drama because Yejin lead him well. Did you remember Yejin said in one of her interview? She said since Haein didn’t have much experience, she felt responsible for leading all the scenes. The director didn’t usually say ‘cut’ so she must use a lot of adlibs. I think since it was Haein’s first lead role, he followed her lead well. They got along well because Yejin is easygoing and let Haein did whatever he felt comfortable. Also, the writer wrote the scenarios based on Haein’s real personality so that’s why the results came out naturally. I don’t personally think Yejin likes Haein as a man because he is not her type. Look at all his promotional activities, he doesn’t fit her mature personality. He’s young and I would say he’s immature at times. He’s like one of the idols. He’s only paying attention at his fans. About the holding hands in public twice, I think it was PR (sorry if I upset anyone) or his own plan to get a buzz.

I didn’t think Yejin and So Ji sub have that romantic vibes. Throughout the movie promotion. Ji sub was so attentive to the child actor, at times, he abandoned Yejin on one side. I can’t find that video anymore, but Jisub and the child actor made a heart sign together. Yejin made her heart sign alone. She even looked at them sadly.

Maybe because of his age, Hyun Bin was so attentive to  Yejin during the movie promotion. Yejin said she wants someone who pays attention at her. I think Hyun Bin and Nam Gil fit her best. She said  Nam-Gil and she talked about it and decided to stay as friends. With the grocery shopping pictures, I hope that Hyun-Bin and Yejin are dating since I haven’t seen anything like that since her debut and there is no other reasons for them to go grocery together in US.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, thi2018 said:

I think they are great partners in drama because Yejin lead him well. Did you remember Yejin said in one of her interview? She said since Haein didn’t have much experience, she felt responsible for leading all the scenes. The director didn’t usually say ‘cut’ so she must use a lot of adlibs. I think since it was Haein’s first lead role, he followed her lead well. They got along well because Yejin is easygoing and let Haein did whatever he felt comfortable. Also, the writer wrote the scenarios based on Haein’s real personality so that’s why the results came out naturally. I don’t personally think Yejin likes Haein as a man because he is not her type. Look at all his promotional activities, he doesn’t fit her mature personality. He’s young and I would say he’s immature at times. He’s like one of the idols. He’s only paying attention at his fans. About the holding hands in public twice, I think it was PR (sorry if I upset anyone) or his own plan to get a buzz.

I didn’t think Yejin and So Ji sub have that romantic vibes. Throughout the movie promotion. Ji sub was so attentive to the child actor, at times, he abandoned Yejin on one side. I can’t find that video anymore, but Jisub and the child actor made a heart sign together. Yejin made her heart sign alone. She even looked at them sadly.

Maybe because of his age, Hyun Bin was so attentive to  Yejin during the movie promotion. Yejin said she wants someone who pays attention at her. I think Hyun Bin and Nam Gil fit her best. She said  Nam-Gil and she talked about it and decided to stay as friends. With the grocery shopping pictures, I hope that Hyun-Bin and Yejin are dating since I haven’t seen anything like that since her debut and there is no other reasons for them to go grocery together in US.

Agree with you 100%. I'll just add one thing though, SJS may not have been that "unattentive" to YJ at most times coz I remember one subbed interview that SJS said that his heart was fluttering the whole time they did the project but YJ "shut down" this attempt of SJS when she pointedly retorted that it sounds too fake if he says that. I really thought then & there that "she's really a hard nut to crack". Thus, even if during those times SJS may have attempted to be sweet on & off camera, YJ doesn't give back anything in return. This is the same vibe I get of her during her interviews w/ KNG. The latter also makes attempts but her response is just so-so. Very different from  her attitude towards HB.

@Oww TooCute the "chemistry" owes more to the acting skills of the actors in there. SYJ wouldn't be a multi-awarded actress for nothing. Plus the beautiful music and cinematography of the scenes contributed a lot to the drama's success. But in terms of their "romantic chemistry" in real life, I watched some of their BTS and interviews before to see where the shipping comes from, but I didn't feel anything different in SYJ's case. She acted like the mentor and was naturally leading/guiding JHI kindly. So unlike the vibes HB & SYJ gives off together despite the fact that their movie then wasn't a romantic genre. And now that some unseen Negotiation BTS have been posted from the DVD release in several IGs, I could truly say that there is a reason why the director said the 99%-98% thing. The screen just explodes w/ the sexual tension these two give off. The intense stares and giggles/laughter are too clear to be ignored. Thus, even if I never want to ship a couple in the first place as I know how frustrating it can be, I couldn't help it.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 5/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, VivianWww said:

I agreed with you. To me, her vibe with SJS was never more than brother-sister kind of thing. They are close and comfortable with each other but nothing special.

With KNG, I can see clearly that he was interested in her. From her side I don’t have enough evidence partly because it happened a long time ago, there are not enough available videos between them together. But I have a sense they might have a brief fling, just imo.

With HB, there are plenty of records of video clips, photos, interviews together. I can firmly see their affection towards each other, from both side. Maybe from HB is more dominant. I never saw him care so much about his co star, or so comfortable and happy whenever he’s with her despite his shy and reserved personality. 

And I don’t think the report about their rumoured relationship is PR like these ladies said in the astrology clip because:

1) The timing is odd. The first rumour happened when HB’s drama was still airing. Would that have bad effect with the rating?

If this rumour serves the coming drama then it happened too early. And they didn’t take advantage of it as they should. They are so awfully quiet. They should confirm

the drama quicker to get the hot attention & potential endorsements.

2) HB’s agency said his trip to US last year was for post drama production but he went back to Korea by himself, pushing the luggages out of arrival gate then a few of his staffs came and help him. Well, if he went alone that means it’s a private and personal trip. 

Thumbs up to you for pointing out very clearly why the PR thing doesn't apply. I don't have any ounce of doubt that their US rumors weren't borne out for PR effect. HB and SYJ went there individually in private for personal vacation. HB's return personally rolling out his many huge baggages would attest to that. First time I've seen this scenario w/ HB tbh. Besides, it isn't in SYJ's no-nonsense nature to involve herself in a PR stunt. Her established status in the industry doesn't need that. Besides, going by how Lee Boyoung once said that she lost so many acting jobs after her relationship w/ Jisung became public, SYJ as the female involved in the rumor has more to lose also.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I really loves 2 of u describe on YJ towards her co actor @firstaid and @thi2018 as it is exactly what i see n feel on every single videos about them..toward HI..YJ is like a big sister..she guides him very well and the drama is succes...

and i also think YJ is a girl who hard to get..if i can remember her interview with The Fact..she said that she really likes a guy who wait for her for a long time rather than a guy just meet her n said like her..now i think she is referring it to HB..as the negotiation was filmed in 2017 and HB have to wait for her until finished filmed be with you..sitr...and when they were doing promotion for negotation they met again...and they really spent their time knowing each other to be true on their own feeling...

i also like her with KNG...but yeah she treats KNG only as her friend..not more than that..

• Like 5

Feeling so satisfied and empathic reading your all comments. Seems like we all have been her fans or followed her long enough to point out all the differences between her interactions with Hyun Bin and other actors.

I can recognize her responses and behavior toward male partners has changed throughout all those years

- For the very first years until 2012 maybe, not just with male actors but she admitted herself that it was hard for her to keep in touch with her co stars. Thats why there was rumor she was arrogant and having star -illness She didn't and couldn't contact well after the projects although the relationship was good at the shooting time. 

- After 2012, she said she has opened her mind and her perspective, gained more friends, of course mostly female actresses as we know the 7 Cinderellas group, also she has been kept in touched with her male partners like Sol Kyung Kyu, Lee Min Ho, Kim Nam Gil...

- Especially in 2018 she seemed more and more comfortable with her partners SJS, JHI and HB. To compare, I can tell with SJS is totally comfortable like with a big brother. With JHI, I can see she was being a senior and treated him kindly and generously to make him feel at ease.Actually if you look back at her interactions with younger partners like Lee Min Ho or Lee Min Ki behind the scenes, it was kind of similar. With HB she was comfortable but also shy. But it was not the feeling of being distance or not close enough, it was the feeling of "some" stage, when it's more than a friend and you want to show your feminine side to him. 

• Like 4