Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

yups^^ i definetely gree.. hopefully they will decide to screen AMTR in theaters here in the US too.. *hopefully* seriously, i havent see anyone as pretty with that a great of acting skill who is not the TOP TOP TOP of the list in korea.. koreans do indeed take this kind of acting skill for granted--otherwise ye jin would be at the TOP TOP TOP years ago. i dont think anyone can compare. period.

I think success in Japan will catch the attention of US companies. So it's possible.

“A Memory To Remember” becomes first Korean movie to top Japanese box-office

gae_l.jpg

The movie “A Memory To Remember,” starring Chung Woo-sung and Son Ye-jin and directed by Lee Jae-han, became the first Korean movie to top the Japanese box-office.

Sources say that on the weekend of Oct. 22-23 “A Memory To Remember” beat out two other rivals, “Corpse Bride” and “Charlie And The Chocolate Factory,” both directed by Tim Burton.

Until now, the most successful Korean movies in Japanese theaters had been “April Snow” and “Joint Security Area,” both of which finished second.

”A Memory To Remember,” which opened Oct. 22, is currently being shown in 308 theaters throughout Japan, some 100 fewer theaters than “April Snow” (434 theaters). The movie’s Japanese distributor, Gaga, has invested over 6 million dollars in the movie’s promotion and marketing, and says the movie is well on its way to becoming a huge success. The facts that it stars Son Ye-jin and was a big hit in Korea also drew attention from Japanese audiences.

Gaga expects 3 billion yen (about 27.5 billion won) in ticket sales from the movie. “April Snow,” the most successful Korean movie by far, has taken in 2.4 billion yen (about 22 billion won).

Credit: http://english.kbs.co.kr/mcontents/enterta...5678_11692.html

Some reports suggested that "Joint Security Area" was also no. 1 in its first week of Japan screening. But it doesn't really matter to me as long as AMTR achieved huge success in Japan.

Guest sandrydc

BYJ's 'Oe Chool(April Snow)', countdown for 3 million audience in Japan

[My Daily]10/25/05 09:11:47

200510241951480200_1.jpg

We are paying attention to a turn of event to see how far the records by Korean films in Japan, which film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)'(Director Hur Jinho, Producer Blue Storm) featuring BYJ & SYJ is successively creating, will continue after all.

The film 'Oe Chool(April Snow) broke 2 million audience on the past 9, in 23 days since its opening, and as it has added latent power as the time passes going over 2,2 million on 13 & over 2.5 million on 21so that it shows phase of long-run.

The film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)', having been ranked 6th place on 15~16 Japanese box-office(Box-office Communication data), climbing up one step from the preveious week, took 5th place in total box-office from 13 to 21, maintaining top range for 5 consecutive weeks.

Three hundred screens in entire country began extended screening until 28 changing initial plan to show until 21, it has already decided to extend screening until November 4 again toward breaking 3 million in the shortest period of time with the last-minutes drive at box-office.

On the other hand, in commemoration of going over 2.5 million audience, BYJ sent message, 'I am very glad to hear the news that many people are watchiing it in Japan. For people who would see the 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' in the future also, I wish it to become an opportunity of thinking deeply once again on your each other's 'LOVE'.'

As it set all the records in not only the highest audience of course but also the best box-office income among the Korean films in history, BYJ's hand model was placed in 'Nemu's Plaza' in Hibiya, Tokyo on the past 20 for teh first time among Asian film people.

Renewing the record of 'Windstruck(I introduce my girl friend)'(1.82 billion yen) featuring Jeon Jihyeon, which has been the top until then, the film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' ks making over 2.5 billion yen box-office income. Following those, 'Shiri'(1.8 billion yen), 'Taegeukgi'(1.2 billion yen), & 'Joint Security Area JSA'(1.15 billion yen), and it seems that it will keep the top of Korean film in the most audience and the top box-office income for a time being.

Reported from Tokyo, Lee Taemoon,gounworld@mydaily.co.kr, www.mydaily.co.kr

BYJ's 'Oe Chool(April Snow)', countdown for 3 million audience in Japan

[My Daily]10/25/05 09:11:47

200510241951480200_1.jpg

We are paying attention to a turn of event to see how far the records by Korean films in Japan, which film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)'(Director Hur Jinho, Producer Blue Storm) featuring BYJ & SYJ is successively creating, will continue after all.

The film 'Oe Chool(April Snow) broke 2 million audience on the past 9, in 23 days since its opening, and as it has added latent power as the time passes going over 2,2 million on 13 & over 2.5 million on 21so that it shows phase of long-run.

The film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)', having been ranked 6th place on 15~16 Japanese box-office(Box-office Communication data), climbing up one step from the preveious week, took 5th place in total box-office from 13 to 21, maintaining top range for 5 consecutive weeks.

Three hundred screens in entire country began extended screening until 28 changing initial plan to show until 21, it has already decided to extend screening until November 4 again toward breaking 3 million in the shortest period of time with the last-minutes drive at box-office.

On the other hand, in commemoration of going over 2.5 million audience, BYJ sent message, 'I am very glad to hear the news that many people are watchiing it in Japan. For people who would see the 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' in the future also, I wish it to become an opportunity of thinking deeply once again on your each other's 'LOVE'.'

As it set all the records in not only the highest audience of course but also the best box-office income among the Korean films in history, BYJ's hand model was placed in 'Nemu's Plaza' in Hibiya, Tokyo on the past 20 for teh first time among Asian film people.

Renewing the record of 'Windstruck(I introduce my girl friend)'(1.82 billion yen) featuring Jeon Jihyeon, which has been the top until then, the film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' ks making over 2.5 billion yen box-office income. Following those, 'Shiri'(1.8 billion yen), 'Taegeukgi'(1.2 billion yen), & 'Joint Security Area JSA'(1.15 billion yen), and it seems that it will keep the top of Korean film in the most audience and the top box-office income for a time being.

Reported from Tokyo, Lee Taemoon,gounworld@mydaily.co.kr, www.mydaily.co.kr

I think the success of AMTR may bring more people to watch AS and vice versa. People who like one of the movies will check out the other one.

Box office ranking for 22 to 23 Oct in Singapore

1 Flight Plan

2 Transporter 2

3 Deuce Bigalow

4 Election

5 The Skeleton Key

6 The 40 Year Old Virgin

7 April Snow

8 Sympathy For Lady Vengeance

9 The Wig

10 The Myth

Source: Yahoo movies

hey those from the Phils, guess what? I was watching Whazzup Whazzup tonight and while Toni Gonzaga was hosting I saw April Snow's movie poster at her back on the set...so that's certainly a good sign that the movie will definitely be shown here...when i saw the poster i just got so excited...

The korean entertainment and media industry were shocked by Eraser reaching the no.1 position in Japan. Now let them witnessed Eraser goes down in history as the first korean movie to reach no. 1 position for more than 1 week!!

I sincerely believe the chance is good chance unless there is a big blockbuster screening this weekend.

A good movie like AMTR will thrive on words of mouth and convert new fans to korean movies in Japan.

Tat'z great Wisey!

I juz hope AMTR will be play in CineManila, too. Only few filipinos who've catch sight da movie in VCD/DVD attached da importance to Yejin's beauty `en talent. 'tz upsettin' tat she'z not much recognized in tis territory. Otherwise when peeps get to see her on widescreen in (well, it may not be da best tho nevertheless) one o' da finezt K-movie uv all time, am pretty sure... Yejin'z star eminence will foster.

Think she needz more media hype in here to have more appreciation for her superb actin'.

Another piece of news featuring AMTR topping the box-office credit to rubie.

A Moment To Remember opens at #1 in Japan

amtr1lg.th.jpg

John H. Lee's A Moment to Remember starring JUNG Woo-sung and SON Ye-jin has opened at #1 in Japan only the second time a Korean film has ever debuted at the top of the Japanese box office. The film has drawn wide interest in Japan both because of the Korean Wave and because the film is based on a popular Japanese TV drama.

Although exact opening figures are not available yet, the film opened on 308 screens and held off competition from Hollywood films Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. To date, the only other Korean film to open at #1 in Japan was Shiri, with April Snow and JSA both opening at #2.

A Moment to Remember's distributor Gaga Communications expended a lavish $6 million marketing campaign on the film prior to its October 22 release. The company says it expects the film to ultimately gross 3 billion yen (~US$26 million). To date, the highest grossing Korean film in Japan is April Snow, which is still on release and which has totaled 2.4 billion yen.

Incidentally, both A Moment to Remember and April Snow feature the same lead actress SON Ye-jin.

A Moment to Remember was produced by Sidus Pictures and released by CJ Entertainment in Korea in late 2004, where it sold over 2.4 million tickets.

Darcy Paquet

Source: Korean Film Council

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/news/news_view...em=&tmp_cnt=309

Still very happy !! Happy ! Happy! ha ha....

In 2003, the top 3 grossing Korean movies in Hong Kong were Crazy First Love, The Classic and Lover's Conerto.

In 2005, let's hope the top 2 grossing movies will be April Snow and AMTR in Japan.

Guest cheelam

YAY for ye jin!! So april snow was only #2? gosh.. i bet most (not counting us) went (are going) to watch April Snow because of young joon.. but now.. it is obvious that people realized the potential and talent in ye jin that they went and watched AMTR.. gosh--they should have noticed this sooner..proves how hard it is to keep such a BIG talent under a cape.

YAY for ye jin!! So april snow was only #2? gosh.. i bet most (not counting us) went (are going) to watch April Snow because of young joon.. but now.. it is obvious that people realized the potential and talent in ye jin that they went and watched AMTR.. gosh--they should have noticed this sooner..proves how hard it is to keep such a BIG talent under a cape.

No. 2 was also an achievement. Sometimes it has to do with luck. If there is a major US or Japanese blockbuster being screened in the same week, then it would be difficult to hit no. 1.

AS is now the top grossing korean movie in Japan even though it didn't hit no.1 .

I am hoping AMTR will eventually overtake AS even.

I am now hoping AMTR will be no. 1 again this coming weekend and I think there is a good chance if ....there is no new blockbuster being screened.

Guest cheelam

hopefully^.^

when april snow and maybe A moment to remember comes out in US theaters, im going to round up a BIG group of friends and make them watch it with me.. lol. but im going to get people i know who wont complain..otherwise i will have to bare with them during the whole movie..

A whole bunch uv good newz!! As anticipated, AMTR `en AS will turn out to be a smash hit! 'tz really takin JP `en hopefully globalwide by storm. Well if am not slipped-up, AMTR `en AS are also showin' in Thai on November as well as in Malaysia includin' da Philippines. While it iz expected AS to open in cinemas in China on 5th November. Tis is da moment for Yejin! ...Da moment to stand out `en bring into bein' a high up one.

Yejin'z endeavors were all bein' pulled off!!!!!

Yehey!!! Am in high spiritz for her...

Guest cheelam

WHOOT!! im so happy that ye jin is finally being recognized!

though this should of happened a long time ago..

hopefully, a moment to remember will show in the US too..lol then ill get another big group and introduce them to such a talent.