Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Her instagram likes from 2 weeks ago are making headlines now. She liked a bunch of fan memes of HB too in those likes which is why they are making headlines.

Korean Actors 200 website:

https://theactorispresent.kr/

March 15 5pm KST will be the first 20 people posted online

So many more updates on both Bride and You and BAU by Bride and You accounts. I won't link all the posts. I will just link to their instagram page instead. Some of I haven't posted. Like ones of Yejin and her feet/the Bride and You high heels. They're all so beautiful

https://www.instagram.com/brideandyou/

https://www.instagram.com/bau_by_brideandyou/

bau11.jpg

bau16.jpg

bau14.jpg

more beautiful shoots

Spoiler

bau12.jpg

bau13.jpg

bau17.jpg

bau15.jpg

bau18.jpg

bau19.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 2:56 AM, slowpoked said:

But Personal Taste just had no nuance to it. And Episode 1 is already a huge faceplant for me - I had a hard time believing a woman would NOT know that not only his long-time boyfriend is cheating on her, but was actually already making plans to marry her best friend and roommate!!! So ridiculous!

Offtopic: just started World of the Married and I can't believe the protagonist is still speaking to any of the people in her social circle after finding out what she did about them! But then I guess we would not have a drama if she cut them off in episode 1 lol.  Still, I can only take so much incredibility!  And goodness, the actor who played Manbok in CLOY goes topless haha. But he's definitely a good actor.  

But I still plowed through the end because I like SYJ. I like her enough that I will watch her in bad projects. LOL!

Ditto. That's true love for you lol!

There’s also The Art of Seduction, which is so-so. She fares much better in MWGM, although it’s not a straight-up funny, haha role, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Haven't been able to find TAOS but I just finished watching Spellbound.  Hmm it actually wasn't as all out comedic as I expected, kind of melancholic in parts actually and then turned melo as well.  Even though I thought White Night didn't work well on a number of levels, I thought it was overall more interesting than Spellbound which was kind of meh for me. 

MWGM, well, SYJ managed to make her character not entirely annoying for me, which I consider a real feat! ;) 

CLOY is her best comedic performance to date, and that says something considering there are really dark elements to the series. 

Both SYJ and HB and the supporting cast made me laugh more than I expected, in unexpected moments, which was great.  Actors often say comedy is harder than drama, if that's the case, I thought SYJ did very well with the comedy in CLOY.  I'd be interested to know what comedic films she herself enjoys and what comedy she watched as prep for Seri.  Is she a black humour, dry comedy kind of person, or laughs more at the absurd and farcical or all out physical comedy? 

On 3/7/2021 at 4:09 AM, SonBender said:

I agree that Art of Seduction and MWGM probably have the most light-hearted moments. I disliked Personal Taste, although that in itself is personal taste. Ha! 

Ha. 

I am curious about Alone in Love as some like it, some don't, and I think SYJ referenced it as a turning point in her career of sorts.  But it'll probably be a while before I get to work through her TV dramas. 

On 3/7/2021 at 4:09 AM, SonBender said:

CLOY is well-written, so the funny parts--of which there are many--are truly funny. But it also has its share of violence, crime and heartache.

It was the blend of genres which made it all the more interesting.  The switch in tone isn't always easy to do and they pulled it off well for the most part. 

What do you guys think of the SYJ's photo chosen for The Actor is Present project?  If you use one word to describe her expression in the photo, it would be....?  I would be thrilled (see what I did there) if they could correct the typo though!  

At this point, is this still wishful thinking or repeating the media rumors?

Son Yejin’s next film is Cross, her first Hollywood film. It is an SF film directed by Andrew Niccol and tells the story of people on the border between poor and rich countries in the background of a virtual multi-ethnic future divided country. Son Yejin will keep in step with Sam Washington in the film. It is clear that she will defend her throne in the next 10 years. And her realm keeps expanding.

From SYJ's profile from The Faces of Today's Korean Cinema: Korean Actors 200 Campaign based on their box office power, awards earned, level of contribution to independent cinema, and their participation in int'l projects over the last decade. 

Whoever's in charge of the materials for this website as well as MSteam really have to learn to use spell check. ;) Another spelling error again just looks really sloppy. 

I hope The Cross happens of course, with Sam Worthington

4 hours ago, welh11 said:

At this point, is this still wishful thinking or repeating the media rumors?

Although the story of The Cross looks interesting, similar to CLOY, the chances of this film being made are low. It has had several false starts with other actors over the years. Yejiin should work on other projects and just do The Cross if it becomes reality.

@welh11 yea I was surprised they mentioned Cross on her page. The site was having server crash a lot. So I haven't really taking a look again. I just noticed the typo of thriller genre though. I really hope they fix it.

Otherwise her headshots from Korean Actors 200

korean200-2.jpg

korean200.jpg

Son Ye Jin will also be on the cover of Glass Magazine's  China edition

Original Source:

https://wwd.com/business-news/media/glass-magazine-launches-chinese-edition-yao-chen-lina-zhang-son-ye-jin-1234779112/

London’s Glass Magazine Launches Chinese Edition

The launch issue of Glass China features Chinese actress Yao Chen, model Lina Zhang, and South Korean actress Son Ye-jin on the cover.

Yahoo Finance took from WWD:

Tianwei Zhang
Mon, March 15, 2021, 10:01 PM·2 min read

1245edc42c8dec8d117754b81f1d7e32

LONDON — London’s fashion quarterly Glass Magazine is launching a Chinese edition under a licensing partnership with Nifumodeng, a Beijing-based media company founded by Ciga Long and Liu Ke.

The magazine has tapped Kaioi Chu from Harper’s Bazaar China as executive editor in chief to lead the editorial operation. Long and Ke will oversee the editorial direction, and look for new media partnership opportunities. Nifumodeng also operates a local magazine called Neuf Mode.

Positioned to attract China’s intelligent and stylish women age between 25 to 40, the launch issue of the bimonthly Glass China, titled “Incredible Women,” features Chinese actress Yao Chen, who first appeared on the cover of Glass in 2011 when she first rose to fame as the most followed actress on Weibo; model Lina Zhang; and South Korean actress Son Ye-jin on the cover.

Highlights from the launch issue also include a designer profile of the Shanghai-based fashion label Shushu/Tong and a conversation with China’s visionary fashion stylist Lucia Liu.

While the first issue puts a heavy focus on the local industry, Chu said the magazine will approach its content from a global point of view for future issues and will launch its men’s offering, Glass Men, when the timing is right.

With almost 1 million followers on Instagram, Glass Magazine was founded by Nicola Kavanagh, Ben Slater and Tet Yap in 2009 as a platform where “stunning imagery could sit alongside intelligent content and enlightening social commentary.”

The publication stood from the competition at the beginning by consistently highlighting Asian actors and advocates in the Western media landscape. It later branched out to broader topics, and positioned itself as “a simple, honest, thought-provoking journal of curated modern culture, focusing on sustainable luxury.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/london-glass-magazine-launches-chinese-020114931.html

It looks like they fixed some of the typos and issues on yejin's page now but the last I checked earlier today they spelled Crash wrong. Not sure why her page/write up had more issues than others. I am not sure if the site is fully working/running yet. Since there are some pages that arent working for me now and they were before. 

@ElectricHearts The concept is noble, its execution is clumsy. I also think it was rushed to completion just a few weeks ago.

The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) is a state-supported, self-administered organization under the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (MCST)

It aims to promote and support Korean films both in Korea and abroad. Its primary objective is to promote and support the production of Korean films through funding, research, education and training. It also strives to further develop international markets for Korean films and to promote inter-cultural understanding through film-based cultural exchanges.

It also seems this new project is different than its past role as it focuses on individual actors and not Korean films or its film making capacity for foreign production companies.  In recent years, major studio/agencies have made connections with new content distributors like Netflix and Apple to globally sell Korean films and dramas. Netflix announced it is going to spend hundreds of millions of US Dollars in 2021 on original Korean content for its platform. I really don't think cold calling industry executives with a "yearbook" of 200 Korean actors is going to make a huge impact in directly getting them foreign film works.

@welh11 yea I think it was rush in the end. They pushed from March 5 to March 15 site opening but I am not sure if they had been completed on time. Also before March 15 Korean time, a weibo account decided to "leak" who  was part of Korean Actors 200 a day ahead - it may have been correct in the end. I think their website got hacked or the person looked through their html codes as I am not sure how they figured out the information of who was even part of Korean 200 Actors before KOFIC announced themselves or more of kmedia. An account on twitter even posted shots of the website before it was up and knew who the first 20 actors would be that were going to be up. So sadly, they had a lot to go through I think. Due to weibo leak, the people working behind the scenes also had to remove and get rid of stuff.  Everyone who had noticed from weibo then posted about their actor online or people had figured out their pages of their actors in advanced. So people were even posting screenshots of what was on the page before they were even completed those pages too. I am not sure the exact details. However, since I use to work websites before, I knew the countdown clock was a placeholder page. They used it for the main site as they were working behind the scenes on the site. So I feel bad regardless as even from their initial press release in January you could tell it was a lot of work and they put a lot of time to get everything up. They didn't really want much of the actors to be revealed in advance or they would have shared the full 200 list ahead of time before the website release. However, they are posting 20 actors every week. It is just the moving trailers and show reels are not up yet. Apparently they had a moving reel for Ryu Seung Ryung before (i didn't look) - someone mentioned it to me and this was before their website was live. Korean Actors 200 is eventually suppose to have printed copies which they are going to send to international film circuit. 

Uhm Ji Won had also done a vlog in January on more details on her Korean 200 Actors photoshoot. . It was quite informative but they have been using that same wall for Cinema Today PDF last month. Just a more actors were shown on it. Only the YTN footage which mentions other actors gave more footage the day before but it was from the same wall.

This is cute. Son Ye Jin pic in episode 479 of Running Man from over 2 years ago

• Like 2

As I said in the other thread, I wish they or SYJ, whoever made the picks, had also included a photo of her with her signature eye smile in the black and white photo series.  I think that is a very charismatic look of hers.  Think it would have been a great addition and contrast to the more soulful look she's going for here.  The smiling look in the video is still a bit restrained for me and doesn't show the full power and charm of her eye smiles imo.  The film clips chosen are fine.  The Incredibly Vigorous at the end was a bit strange lol.  

I wonder if they are rushing to release it in time for award season in Hollywood and capitalise on the interest in Minari etc.  In that case, an earlier start to properly prepare would have been advised.  Hope they proof read everything carefully!  Since most things are going to be virtual anyway, I hope they take the time to get it right.  Still, it's nice to see SYJ included in the first batch.  Interest might wane after a while if there are 200 actors to go through.  Hopefully more global industry people will know her through CLOY or her other works or this publicity.  

P.S. So I watched a few more of these videos and it seems like everyone is either Incredibly Vigorous or Extremely Exquisite lol.  SYJ's video is one of the better made ones imo, with scenes getting time to breathe.  I noticed some other actors had TV drama clips included as well, perhaps they had a shorter filmography or wanted to showcase their big drama hits.  CLOY would be one of the biggest hits internationally for SYJ and her most recent work.  Not sure if the choice was made to focus purely on her extensive film career, or they ran out of time to squeeze in one more work and fit in CLOY. 

If there was one scene from CLOY you would pick to be included in her highlight reel, what would it be? For me, it would probably be one of her crying scenes.  Or a comedic scene that could translate without dialogue.

• Like 1

@Seriya another article that may answer some of your questions. It is part of the book that is being sent to international film circuit. I am sure the choices of which headshots to use was also chosen by SYJ and her team. They all took many photoshoots that day. Uhm Ji Won even had a personal photoshoot with her dog during Korean Actors 200. It is in her vlog on her Korean Actors 200 photoshoot.

koreanactors.jpg

The Korea Film Council has released a special web page for KOREAN ACTORS 200 that introduces 200 actors representing the present and future of Korean films to the global film industry.

200 Korean actors selected in consideration of whether to appear in Korean films, win film festivals, contribution to independent films, and participation in global projects over the past decade will be released every week through KoBiz, Kofic's overseas Korean film platform.

Actor Yoon Yeo-jung, who is considered a leading Academy nominee for his role in the winning film "Minari" in Week 1, Han Ye-ri, who won the 2021 Goldlist Best Actress Award for another lead role in "Minari," Ra Mi-ran and Yoo Tae-oh, who won Best New Actor at the 41st Blue Dragon Film Festival, will be released in late March.

Lee Jung-eun, the actor of Parasite, Lee Jung-eun, Lee Ha-nui, and Oh Jung-se, who rose to the top of the list through Extreme Job, Song Joong-ki of Space Sweepers, who released Netflix, and Lee Je-hoon, who showed his ability to digest all genres.

In addition, Lee Byung-hun, Ryu Seung-ryong, Moon So-ri, Son Ye-jin and So Ji Sub, who are at the center of the Korean film industry, were also unveiled in the first week.

On the KOREAN ACTORS 200 online special web page, you can check out detailed introductions of each actor, photos of the characteristics of the actor, and filmography videos of each actor. Every Monday, the exclusive images of 200 Korean film representatives will be released sequentially through the webpage.

Two photographers representing Korea, Kim Joong-man and Ahn Sung-jin, were in charge of filming characters that will delicately reveal the actor's personality. The ACTOR IS PRESENT, a book containing photos taken with their heart and soul, will be published in April and delivered to film officials around the world.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202103152000202906280_1

Son Ye Jin on cover of Glass China Issue 1

She's also wearing Valentino in some of the photoshoots

glasschina2.jpg

glasschina9.jpg

glasschina8.jpg

Before the shooting, we met Son Yejin at her home in Seoul first where she’s been spending a lot of time recently. Talking about staying in, she’s quite content. “Happiness is to find one’s value and take efforts to realize it.” That’s what she’s been trying to do during this difficult time. At the end of the interview, Son Yejin asked us to foreword her blessing:

Wish everyone a good health.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMlYAG7DqKD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Spoiler

glasschina11.jpg

glasschina3.jpg

glasschina4.jpg

glasschina5.jpg

glasschina6.jpg

glasschina12.jpg

• Like 1