Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

I think that it's just the production company trying to use YJ and KHN's names to boost the drama. After the global success of CLOY, I don't think YJ will take on another drama. She only did SITR because of her friendship with the director. It was an anomaly that she did another drama right after. She also hates filming during winter, so doing CLOY was really something out of the ordinary. If she does this historical drama, it'll most likely start filming in Sept or Oct and well into the winter. Historical dramas are long, so the filming will probably go on until March next year, giving her little time to prepare for The Cross (if that is confirmed?). Also, she spent the past 20 years not doing period pieces (TLP doesn't count). Doing it now RIGHT AFTER a globally-hit drama is....completely idiotic, to put it simply. And some Twitter folks said the writer isn't that good. If she does do it, I'll be like "Yejin-shi, what's wrong with you??" but I'll still watch it...

I'm praying so hard for a movie with her and Gong Yoo, but he might be starting a drama soon with Bae Doona (which is equally exciting since I also like BDN). If not GY, let her film with Ha Jung Woo or reunite with Cho Seung Woo, or newbies such as Yoo Ah In and Kim Soo Hyun (but KSH hasn't been as successful in film). OR give me a female ensemble with Kim Hye Soo, Ha Ji Won, Jun Ji Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, and Kim So Hyun lol Another dream movie of mine: Kim Hye Soo, Yejin, Seo Ye Ji, and Kim So Hyun in a story about women of different age groups. 

I would also love to see Yejin act with talented Chinese actresses like Tang Wei and Zhou Xun, especially Tang Wei! She's my favorite Chinese actress and is probably the most popular C-actress in Korea.

Also here:

The Son Ye Jin museum in China LOL 

oh how I wish I could be in Asia this year!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

Everytime Son Ye Jin is announced to have a potential project, there will be doubters and naysayers saying that she should not do this and that, and something or someone is more suitable for her. I remember when the press released the information about the movie The Cross, some people here said that it isn't the right project for her and the director was having a hard time finding an investor for it. Fast forward, they just released that YeJin is confirmed for the role and the movie will be shot with $30M budget.  

Of many scripts/ drama projects YeJin has been offered to, I think there is a good reason why her agency commented on this historical drama. Shooting a movie now is not really advisable because if she shoots a movie now, it will be scheduled for release early next year and by that time, I don't think the pandemic is over. The box office success will still be uncertain. I think a tv drama is a great choice at this time especially if it will be distributed internationally through popular streaming service like Netflix. It will help her global popularity to soar even higher and will help her in her upcoming Hollywood movie debut. I think YeJin is very smart to choose this historical drama because its plot is very popular in Korean literature and even in some Western literature. She has already captured the hearts of international audience who love to watch feel good, rom-com and melodrama tv series in SITR and CLOY through Netflix, and now it's time to capture the hearts of international audience who love to watch historical action drama and literary pieces, history and mythology like the hit series Game of Thrones.

All writers have successful and failed or less popular works, even William Shakespeare. 

Also, YeJin's two most successful films, in box office and critically acclaim & award winning categories, are period/historical action drama which are Pirates and The Last Princess. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

12 minutes ago, yejinatic1981 said:

Of many scripts/ drama projects YeJin has been offered to, I think there is a good reason why her agency commented on this historical drama. Shooting a movie now is not really advisable because if she shoots a movie now, it will be scheduled for release early next year and by that time, I don't think the pandemic is over. The box office success will still be uncertain. I think a tv drama is a great choice at this time especially if it will be distributed internationally through popular streaming service like Netflix. It will help her global popularity to soar even higher and will help her in her upcoming Hollywood movie debut. I think YeJin is very smart to choose this historical drama because its plot is very popular in Korean literature and even in some Western literature. She has already captured the hearts of international audience who love to watch feel good, rom-com and melodrama tv series in SITR and CLOY through Netflix, and now it's time to capture the hearts of international audience who love to watch historical action drama and literary pieces, history and mythology like the hit series Game of Thrones.

All writers have successful and failed or less popular works, even William Shakespeare. 

Thanks @yejinatic1981 I totally agree with you, I'm actually excited about this. And for sure she thought a lot about it too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh, I'm sure many people doubted CLOY, and look what a global success CLOY is. Many of us are here because of CLOY. I apologize - maybe "idiotic" wasn't the right word. I'm just concerned this time because historical dramas are a hit or miss, especially since this one will be on SBS. Period movies are different from dramas though. The Pirates is more of adventure or fantasy-like with a huge cast. The Last Princess came out at a year where stories on colonial Korea was popular. This new one seems entirely different. 

The point about box office concern in light of Covid is very valid, making doing TV dramas to be much more preferable and attractive. 

I don't doubt her ability to choose scripts and screen-partners. Just with The Cross coming early next year, it just seems very physically and mentally demanding to shoot a period piece. And being on Twitter lately, it's a bit interesting that both her Korean and international fans are on the same page about this (coz most times we are not) lol

-----MERGED POST-----

And finally! Smart Yejin update:

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Wiggle 1

Today is Chilseok / Qixi (7th day of the 7th month of lunar calendar) - Valentine’s Day
https://www.dramasrok.com/2018/08/chilseok-korean-valentines-day/

[Box Office] Romance Movies Top 10

1. A Werewolf Boy (7,068,920 people)

Release: October 31, 2012
Director: Jo Sung-hee
Cast: Song Joong-ki, Park Bo-young

Spoiler

4194839C-E8D4-4103-B0D5-91B64C3DB4AA.jpg

2. All About My Wife (4,598,583 people)

Release: May 17, 2012
Director: Min Kyu-dong
Cast: Im Soo-jung, Lee Sun-kyun, Ryu Seung-ryong

Spoiler

1D34ED82-6D98-4460-A66A-C5F9B0B25141.jpg

3. Architecture 101 (4,110,645 people)

Release: March 22, 2012
Director: Lee Yong-ju
Cast: Uhm Tae-woong, Han Ga-in, Lee Je-hoon, Suzy

Spoiler

BAE4EDD1-DB80-4190-A965-0B21350EF7B1.jpg

4. My Little Bride (3,149,500 people)

Release: April 2, 2004
Director: Kim Ho-joon 
Cast: Kim Rae-won, Moon Geun-young

Spoiler

A0A7CA54-2862-4686-BA5E-0EBF4B380FAB.jpg

5. Maundy Thursday (3,132,320 people)

Release: September 14, 2006
Director: Song Hae-sung
Cast: Kang Dong-won, Lee Na-young

Spoiler

A17D4714-2531-49B2-B7C9-3D9DCC5F4756.jpg

6. You are My Sunshine (3,051,134 people)

Release: September 23, 2005
Director: Park Jin-pyo 
Cast: Jeon Do-yeon, Hwang Jung-min

Spoiler

EFADA592-B6C5-4308-954A-3FAECE1CD7CC.jpg

7. Spellbound (3,009,356 people)

Release: December 1, 2011
Director: Hwang In-ho
Cast: Son Ye-jin, Lee Min-ki

D4949087-6E1A-48D8-8D26-17129067D417.jpg

8. Crazy Romance (2,924,563 people)

Release: October 2, 2019
Director: Kim Han-gyul
Cast: Kim Rae-won, Gong Hyo-jin 

Spoiler

0869534D-4DDA-417D-A46D-891B63F143D7.jpg

9. On Your Wedding Day (2,820,969 people)
Release: August 22, 2018
Director: Lee Seok-geun
Cast: Park Bo-young, Kim Young-kwang

Spoiler

6B0BAED3-A5DE-4E73-82DE-E77CB9DAAAF9.jpg

10. Cyrano Agency (2,731,828 people)

Release: September 16, 2010
Director: Kim Hyun-seok
Cast: Uhm Tae-woong, Lee Min-jung, Choi Daniel, Park Shin-hye 

Spoiler

94AD064E-8D9C-44B7-A0FB-8D11840FBF88.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, Seriya said:

What are your favourite SYJ works and what kind of work do you want to see her in next?

Hi Seriya, Like you, at New Year I had never hear of SYJ. She was amazing in CLOY and thanks to the lockdown I'vewatched all her movies and dramas except for Sunhee and Jinhee for which I'm still looking for eng subs.

Of her 21 movies, 2 are voice only which leaves 19. My favorites:

• The Classic
  • A Moment to Remember
  • Be With You
  • The Negotiation
  • The Truth Beneath

I do not watch drama series, but for Yejin I did. My favorites:

• Crash Landing on You
  • Shark
  • Summer Scent

Some thoughts on what I'd like to see her in next. I prefer movies, so I hope she does not get bogged down in doing CLOY season 2, CLOY season 3, etc. until she retires from acting :huh: However, with theaters closed due to the lockdowns, TV drama might be the only option for now. I'm not sure about that Hollywood move called the Cross. It seems to have had some false starts. The premise seems interesting. One reason I started watching CLOY was because of the culture and restrictions of a cross-border relationship. I think her English is improving so hopefully by the time of filming she'll have it mastered. Let's hope she doesn't get stuck in Hollywood, though.

I think she does well in period acting such as Chi Hwa Seon (minor role), Daemang (about 3/4 of the series and dresses as a male trader), The Last Princess and The Pirates. So if she is going to do another period series it will be worth watching.

I would like to see Yejin in something other than a pure romantic drama. CLOY was interesting because it had the romance, but there was also culture clash, politics, danger, business, comedy, gangsters, death, family strife and more. She has a large range of acting ability, and I'd like to see films use those abilities.

• Like 4

(More details on the storyline)

https://zapzee.net/2020/08/26/we-might-be-able-to-see-son-ye-jin-and-kang-ha-neul-on-the-same-screen/
We Might Be Able to See Son Ye Jin and Kang Ha Neul on the Same Screen

by krishkim

E4CDCA44-13E0-4315-824B-EF422FE7A3E3.jpg
Credit: SPOTVNEWS, news1

Expectations are mounting over whether we will be able to see Son Ye Jin and Kang Ha Neul on the same project.

On August 25, Son Ye Jin’s agency MSTeam Entertainment and Kang Ha Neul’s agency TH Company said that each actor has been offered a role from the new drama Cut by the Heart (literal title) and are considering it. Son Ye Jin and Kang Ha Neul were offered the roles of Princess Pyeong Kang and On Dal.

Cut by the Heart is a work that re-interprets Princess Pyeong Kang, who is born as a princess of a country, becomes a wife of a fool, and later is cheered by the whole nation, as the “Iron Lady” who cannot take the throne herself, but makes her husband the general and ascends her younger brother to the throne. Also, it is a drama about On Dal’s turbulent life of becoming the hero.

Son Ye Jin received global love with her previous work tvN’s Crash Landing on You, while Kang Ha Neul led the syndrome-like popularity with KBS’s When the Camellia Blooms. Expectations are rising over what they will look like when they play Princess Pyeong Kang and On Dal.

Source (1)

-

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005948631
[SBS Star] Son Ye-jin & Kang Ha Neul in Talks to Lead a New Drama Together

By Lee Narin | 2020.08.26

2AF3B88F-265E-43E1-A77E-034D9D5C4CE9.jpg

Actress Son Ye-jin and actor Kang Ha Neul may be starring in a new drama together.   On August 25, news outlet Sports Chosun reported that Son Ye-jin and Kang Ha Neul confirmed to join an upcoming drama 'Pyeong-gang, My Heart Is Torn' (literal title).   'Pyeong-gang, My Heart Is Torn' will tell the tragic love story between Princess Pyeong-gang and On-dal who makes foolish sacrifices for her.  Son Ye-jin has reportedly been cast as Princess Pyeong-gang, and Kang Ha Neul as On-dal. 

Following the release of this report, fans went wild, wanting to check out the two top stars' chemistry.  However, both Son Ye-jin and Kang Ha Neul's agency shared that the final decision had not been made yet.   They said, "While it is true that they were offered the role in 'Pyeong-gang, My Heart Is Torn', they are still considering whether to join the drama at the moment." 

Meanwhile, the drama is planned to be broadcast next year. 

(Credit= SBS funE) 
(SBS Star)   

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, Jbelr said:

This forum helped me discover her as person, you can also check twitter fan accounts, they also have very good sources of her old interviews, CFs, and the like. :foryou:

Do you have any recommendations for twitter accounts to follow for her news/old interviews? 

On 8/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, ILSYJSG said:

@Seriya The kind of raw and powerful acting you saw in TTB, YJ actually did show similar acting in Blood And Ties (BAT). Did you watch that movie? At that time, during many of her interviews regarding BAT,  YJ said that movie was the most difficult for her because there were many highly emotional scenes, far more than a normal dark thriller. YJ said she was completely drained after filming BAT.

There are so many memorable YJ shows that it is very difficult to choose. For me, AMTR will always have a special place in my heart since it is the very first YJ movie I watched many years back and I really cried buckets over it. 2nd will be MWGM because it is amazing how she is able to convince the audience not to hate her character in it (Jin Ah) with her brilliant acting. And I think she looks simple yet breathtaking without much makeup in all her scenes. 

I haven't watched BAT yet.  It will be on my list if I can find it somewhere.

Recently watched AMTR, The Classic and April Snow.  Now that I've seen their poster art I recall them being big hits in Asian cinema way back when.  Wish I had seen them in the cinema back in the day.  I'm sure YJ would have left an impression on me even then in her early days.  Even from The Classic to AMTR to April Snow, you can see how her acting improved.  I think she had good luck/ability to be cast in such well made movies at the start of her career with strong directing and costars.  Those are movies that stand the test of time.  Does anyone know if she had to audition for those pivotal roles?

As YJ said in some interviews, she wants to make movies/dramas that will still be good to watch/won't be embarrassing to watch in another 20 years and it's already almost 20 years for those movies and I think it's fair to say they are still well thought of.

How do I do spoiler tags here?

The Classic: that running in the rain scene is an absolute classic for a reason!  That youthful exuberance was so lovely to watch.

AMTR: Also my favourite film of hers out of the ones I've watched so far.  It's a classic in its genre and a very well done movie overall. The soju scene is another classic and I really loved YJ doing the card trick. The relationship scenes were so sweet and believable despite being complete opposites. The scene where she talked to him about his mum and he talked with her dad were also excellent.  And of course the letter scene near the end... tears.  This was not an easy role and YJ acquitted herself well. 

April Snow: the no dialogue solo crying scene in the restaurant was a killer! Also, shallow note have to say YJ has a lovely back and the love scenes were tastefully done imo. Must have been challenging to do them as such a young actress and really to capture the complicated emotions of a character in those circumstances. 

After watching these movies and Be With You, I can see why she's called MeloQueen though I feel her abilities as an actress far exceed that.  But, she does seem to have a particular talent in touching people and making people fall in love with her in this genre, and audiences seem to respond to her in those roles particularly well too.  So I do hope she does some quality melodramas in the future too that are different to the ones she's done before, after a break since CLOY had those elements too.

For dramas, my favourite is CLOY. She simply nails all her scenes and emotions, without overacting and boy, her comedic timing is flawless! Whenever YSR laughed, I laughed. Whenever YSR cried, I cried. Actually YJ's flair for comedy can also be seen in Personal Taste and The Art Of Seduction.

Yes, her comedic acting was so very good!  I may have enjoyed it even more than the melodrama heh, even as I was touched in those scenes.  In that interview, she said she watched a lot of comedy skits as preparation for the Yoon Seri role.  As some actors say, comedy can be the hardest to act.  It's clear she really put in a lot of work with her expressions and line delivery to make the comedy work in CLOY.  A less skilled actress could have made Seri annoying.  Will look forward to checking out her other comedic roles.  I would love to see her in an all female comedy in the future.

For great acting, I will choose Alone In Love (AIL) as my 2nd favourite YJ drama. The thing about YJ’s acting is that she’s fantastic when it comes to emotional scenes. She doesn’t need to shed tears, and we know she’s aching inside. Even when she is smiling, we can somehow feel the pain she is experiencing within. Sometimes the most subtle look or gesture has the power to generate the most emotional response from the audience. No words necessary. This is what differentiates a great actress from a normal actress.

Exactly. Less is more. Often restraint in acting can be more powerful and I think YJ understands that.  AIL will be on my list too. There are so many emotional scenes in CLOY and I felt she calibrated them very well.  Definitely one of her acting strengths.  It wasn't just either 0 or 10. She has many degrees of crying/other ways of showing emotion in a scene and they didn't feel the same.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, Custo Barc said:

I’m doubtful about her taking on this historical drama because I read somewhere that she doesn’t like doing them, which explains why she hasn’t done any since her first one in 2002.

Since then the only quasi-historical project she has done is The Last Princess which takes place in 1925.  I read that she fasted for 24 hours the day before shooting a particular scene so she would look weak and sickly.  She was awesome throughout the movie and won best actress awards at Baeksang, Blue Dragon and Grand Bell. 

TLP is also on my list. I did read that she cried for a really long time (like hours?) for one of the scenes and didn't even stop crying after cut according to her costar, who was so impressed by her immersion and professionalism. 

I read that she also cried after AMTR and at the SITR wrap party.  It seems she has a lot of emotions to let out, maybe especially after a work that is very meaningful/challenging to her. 

On 8/26/2020 at 5:08 AM, Kari said:

I think that it's just the production company trying to use YJ and KHN's names to boost the drama. After the global success of CLOY, I don't think YJ will take on another drama. She only did SITR because of her friendship with the director.

Can you share more about her friendship with the director? I watched some BTS of SITR and it seems he has quite a different directing style to CLOY or other Kdrama TV directors?  SITR director seemed to have a very specific idea of what he wanted in a scene and also was a big fan of natural unrehearsed acting.  I am interested to know more about YJ's acting process.  Some actors seem to like that unrehearsed take but it seems YJ is the kind of actor to like to prepare a lot in advance and then offer different options for each take and ideas to the director. CLOY director mentioned this, I would like to know what ideas she suggested. 

I read that SITR director offered her another drama with the same costar right after SITR.  Haven't watched One Spring Night but i think it was probably a good call to go with something different like CLOY straight after.  

On 8/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, yejinatic1981 said:

Everytime Son Ye Jin is announced to have a potential project, there will be doubters and naysayers saying that she should not do this and that, and something or someone is more suitable for her. I remember when the press released the information about the movie The Cross, some people here said that it isn't the right project for her and the director was having a hard time finding an investor for it. Fast forward, they just released that YeJin is confirmed for the role and the movie will be shot with $30M budget.  

Is it true that The Cross director approached YJ for the role before CLOY and even met her in S Korea? I read that somewhere.  I am excited about The Cross because the director is quite talented in the sci fi/dystopian genre even if his films aren't necessarily big hits but he's well respected.  So I'm hopeful that the female role isn't just a damsel in distress.

For me, I don't object to seeing YJ in a historical drama or any genre, as long as the writing is good any genre is fine by me.  But I do think a historical drama may not necessarily be the best kind of role to capitalise on the global success post CLOY.  I think it would be less accessible to foreign audiences compared to other genres.  Good point about movie box offices being a question mark next year, but I think they will rebound strongly in the future. A film can do well and be a big hit even if only released on Netflix.  Mainly, I do think time is tight for her to take on a big scale drama before The Cross, if that happens as scheduled, and I feel she may want to spend a lot of time and effort preparing for an English speaking role in her first Western movie.  I don't know if it's too late for her to join any films filming in the second half of 2020 but a film role in a different genre to CLOY would be my choice.

18 hours ago, SonBender said:

Hi Seriya, Like you, at New Year I had never hear of SYJ. She was amazing in CLOY and thanks to the lockdown I'vewatched all her movies and dramas except for Sunhee and Jinhee for which I'm still looking for eng subs.

Of her 21 movies, 2 are voice only which leaves 19. My favorites:

• The Classic
  • A Moment to Remember
  • Be With You
  • The Negotiation
  • The Truth Beneath

I do not watch drama series, but for Yejin I did. My favorites:

• Crash Landing on You
  • Shark
  • Summer Scent

Some thoughts on what I'd like to see her in next. I prefer movies, so I hope she does not get bogged down in doing CLOY season 2, CLOY season 3, etc. until she retires from acting :huh: However, with theaters closed due to the lockdowns, TV drama might be the only option for now. I'm not sure about that Hollywood move called the Cross. It seems to have had some false starts. The premise seems interesting. One reason I started watching CLOY was because of the culture and restrictions of a cross-border relationship. I think her English is improving so hopefully by the time of filming she'll have it mastered. Let's hope she doesn't get stuck in Hollywood, though.

I think she does well in period acting such as Chi Hwa Seon (minor role), Daemang (about 3/4 of the series and dresses as a male trader), The Last Princess and The Pirates. So if she is going to do another period series it will be worth watching.

I would like to see Yejin in something other than a pure romantic drama. CLOY was interesting because it had the romance, but there was also culture clash, politics, danger, business, comedy, gangsters, death, family strife and more. She has a large range of acting ability, and I'd like to see films use those abilities.

You've definitely made more progress than me with her filmography! Need to work hard to catch up haha.  Wow you even managed to dig up Chi Hwa Seon and Daemang. Have no idea where to find those. I love the idea of her in a cross dressing period role. 

Look foward to exchanging more thoughts with you when I've watched more of YJ's work. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Hi…. this is the first time for me to write here
I felt in love with Kdrama when saw GOONG (2006) and that make Yoo Eun-Hye (she is beautiful) and Ju Ji-hoon became my fav actress and actor, I search their movies but not much. When I saw Personal Taste (2010) there is another beauty, Son Ye Jin.  Actually, I don’t really like Kdrama but I love Kmovie. That is which amazed me, SYJ has many movies with face thousands. I love it and felt in love with her acting. For me, until now “The truth Beneath” is the masterpiece. I got crazy madly, dying and crying watch her acting. I don’t know if I could be SYJ fans, but I really enjoy and love her movie and drama/series.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

If you’re looking for comedy and cross-dressing (plus romance), there’s PERSONAL TASTE where SYJ stars with Lee Min Ho.  I thought LMH’s acting was stiff, but their “game over” kiss was monumental (you can Google it).  SYJ is very funny in this underrated drama, and the interactions between their best friends are hilarious.  Yoo Eun Hye had a cameo and through that she became friends with SYJ.  Even Kim Nam Gil had a cameo, but it’s so short you could miss it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Custo Barc said:

If you’re looking for comedy and cross-dressing, there’s Personal Taste where SYJ stars with Lee Min Ho.  I thought LMH’s acting was stiff, but their “game over” kiss was monumental (you can Google it).  SYJ is very funny in this underrated drama, and the interactions between their best friends are hilarious.  

yes SYJ is very funny and all out, that way i like her....i like Personal Taste because the topic not about poor and rich people love, and there was rare in those days.

I heard she has many actress friends, they had acting together?

i wanna see her and her friends act like "Friends" series or "Charlie Angel" movie

• Like 2

JTBC PLUS 2020. 08. 29
[EXCLUSIVE]Son Ye Jin - actress possessing both visual and talent of Korean film scene

There has never been a film genre that Son Ye Jin could not pull off, from comic, mello, action, sexy to thriller genres.

5DCE08EF-D94B-46D2-AECA-635440EC1162.jpg

From the title as a mello queen emerging as a bright star of the 21st century, Son Ye Jin has constantly been expanding her acting spectrum and has established her position as a typical top actress of the Korean film scene. During more than 19 years of career since her debut in 2001, Son Ye Jin has conquered the public with her timeless beauty and outstanding acting ability.

> Feeling surprised to receive an award under her real name

F1B432C4-9BF5-4997-A178-5753CDF0EA40.jpg

Son Ye Jin was born on January 11, 1982 in Daegu and is known as the greatest beauty in her neighborhood. Thanks to her stunning appearance and acting skills, the actress achieved "Triple Crown" when receiving 5 Best Actress and Best Leading Actress awards at 3 major awards ceremonies in Korea. She has been familiar with various awards ceremonies, but the "2018 Korea Popular Culture and Arts Awards" carried a different meaning to her. Attending as the winner of the Prime Minister's Commendation, Son Ye Jin burst out laughing as Do Jong Hwan, the Minister of Culture and Tourism, called the actress by her real name, Son Eon Jin, while she was receiving the award. She shared her feelings, saying, "I'm very flustered because it is the first time I've received an award under my real name after my debut. However, I accept it with the meaning that I won't lose my original resolution and I'll try to show you a lot of good performances in the future."

> Face of beverage CFs

17E95E68-3B85-4448-8B76-CF7D1A167FEE.jpg

Talking about Son Ye Jin's pure beauty, it's impossible to ignore her beverage Pocari Sweat CF in 2001. Not only did this CF attract considerable interest and help Son Ye Jin prove herself to be a pure beauty icon, but it also got considered the most impressive CF among Pocari Sweat's commercial videos. Cool blue beach and sky alongside white houses on Santorini Island, Greece with Son Ye Jin's bright look became the talk of the town. Therefore, after choosing Son Ye Jin as the advertising model in 2001~2002, Pocari Sweat continued to invite her to be the endorser in 2007~2008. Also, this brand repaid Son Ye Jin's efforts in increasing the product revenue by continuously supporting her in events like fan meetings. 

> Transforming into "melodrama queen"

Spoiler

B374E8D9-686F-4E91-8EF8-8D18A2DACE05.jpg

The drama "Summer Scent" (2003) and 2 movies "The Classic" (2003), "A Moment to Remember" (2004) are works representing the golden days of Son Ye Jin's beauty. In particular, the two mentioned movies are considered masterpieces among Korean romantic dramas. The highlight of these works is Son Ye Jin's acting skills, from taking over two roles at once to transforming into a character with dementia.

Son Ye Jin's challenge does not end there. The actress, once again, showed her charming aura through the movie "The Art of Seduction" and played the role of a 25-year-old divorcee in the work "Alone in Love" (SBS) aired in 2006. The drama helped her win the Best Actress award at "SBS Drama Awards" and "Baeksang Arts Awards" (TV category)

Spoiler

43FFB80D-FB52-432C-833F-58663B81FFF9.jpg

Son Ye Jin's heyday kept going on with the movie "My Wife Got Married" (2008). Particularly, she won three prizes including the Best Actress, Popular Star, Best Couple at the "Blue Dragon Film Awards", the Best Actress for the Film category of the "Baeksang Arts Awards", and the Best Actress of the "University Film Festival of Korea". The actress expressed her feelings, "I often feel confused and worried recently because it isn't easy to live as a 27-year-old actress, but this award has come to me as if to remind me to regain my spirit. In the future, I will strive to become a better actress instead of being the best."

> It is actually "hardworking bee Ye Jin"

Spoiler

FC14CFC4-2E46-40FF-9E06-E21FCB839FC0.jpg

After making the first appearance in the entertainment industry through the CF "Man Holding A Flower" in 1999, Son Ye Jin has been diligently acting and regularly appearing in movies and TV series every year. While she is dedicated to building a solid filmography, her acting ability also matures day by day. The movie "The Last Princess" helped Son Ye Jin eradicate the prejudice "a movie starring a leading actress cannot be successful" when it attracted 5.59 million moviegoers in 2016. In particular, thanks to Son Ye Jin, Lotte Entertainment, which was responsible for the investment and distribution of "The Last Princess", regained its heyday after a long time having no Korean movie work that hit 1 million viewers since "The Treacherous" premiered in 2015. In 2019, the beauty icon of Korea created the lovely yet straightforward character Yoon Se Ri in the hit drama "Crash Landing on You'' (tvN). Her excellent performance in this work earned Son Ye Jin the Popularity Award and affirmed her influence as a Hallyu star.

> Remaining steady as a "Hallyu queen"

Spoiler

B12C553F-3ABD-4971-A891-1F07E42D7BE5.jpg

While everyone is struggling due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Son Ye Jin is still being given special love by fans all over the world. According to foreign media outlet Starmometer, Son Ye Jin was voted as "The most beautiful woman of 2020". The public can clearly recognize the prominence of a Hallyu star from Son Ye Jin when she beat top idols like Lisa (Blackpink) and Tzuyu (Twice) to win this title. Recently, the actress was also chosen as an advertising model for the Filipino news agency Smart Communications, as well as giving a text interview with the Japanese media. Son Ye Jin is preparing for her fan meeting in Japan via Live TV on August 30. In her hand-written letter, she could not help but show overwhelming happiness to be such a famous figure there, "Thank you for the support and love for 'Crash Landing on You'. I hope you all stay safe."

Son Ye Jin has also received an offer to participate in a Hollywood movie and is going to start filming for the movie "Cross". Accepting director Niccol's offer when he arrived in Korea in 2019, Son Ye Jin will take on the role of Vera - a strong woman who raises her child alone after her husband died in an escape. The public is paying much attention to Son Ye Jin's acting activities.

Reporter Hwang Ji Young hwang.jeeyoung@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2

Nice overview of YJ's career.  I discovered her as an actress from watching her work, but I have to say after watching more and more interviews of her as a person, she just comes off as a very likable person.  Love the way she's always ready to have a laugh, laugh wholeheartedly with her eyes.  Does anyone know when she first became famous for her "eye smile" and when she acquired the cow nickname?  She exudes a real warmth and positive energy that makes people feel good as her colleagues have said and it translates into onscreen and offscreen charisma.  I have so much respect for her work ethic and professionalism and how she puts in 100%+.  She clearly has a great passion for acting, always striving for improvement and new challenges which is lovely to see, so long may she continue her chosen vocation.   I also love how humble and grateful, down to earth and candid she can be.

I think I like 30s SYJ even more than 20s SYJ.  She comes across as more self-assured, relaxed, blossoming as a woman and as an actress.  I actually find her more beautiful as a 30 something, and when she wears less makeup.

A few longer interviews of YJ's that I enjoyed.  Maybe already posted here but I haven't gone through the entire thread.  Please share if you know of any more indepth YJ interviews that are around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IePPJq7m6iw

Love her advice here on giving 100%, her attitude on ageing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4igjlQwUHI

Yes, I also want to know what she thinks about in her crying scenes and how she does them so well!  LOL about the hot brick in The Classic.  I like that she was able to free herself from more inhibitions to act freely in TTB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MD054u5uak

Is there a longer version/report of this talk she attended at Busan Film Festival somewhere? I would love to see it.  Love that she's so candid and humble with her fans.  LOL at the question about her eating habits and I love that YJ loves to eat and is candid about all that.  A healthy appetite shows a zest for life.  I loved Seri's healthy appetite in CLOY too as a character trait.  YJ's diligent Pilates practice also shows her strength and discipline. And she seems like she's quite a good runner.  She runs fast on film even in heels heh.

Can't get that Pocari themesong out of my head after watching YJ's CF lol.  Was it the Pocari CF that gave her her big break to get cast in acting or had she already started acting at that point? It seems this ad is really remembered as a classic by Koreans. Just as her running in the rain scene in The Classic and the soju drinking scene in AMTR. 

P.S. How do I embed video here?

• Like 8

SonYeJin x Jennyhouse update

@Seriya, the video is usually automatically embedded if you paste the link. 

I also have not seen a longer version of SYJ's talk during the 2016 BIFF but I think this article, which is posted in the first page of this thread, is related to it.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20161008002951315

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, ILSYJSG said:

Came across this video where Haha called up YJ during his interview on Taxi. Seems like a very funny call, because YJ didn't know that she was on a live program. No subtitles though.

Anybody has the Eng-sub or Ch-sub version pls?

I found this with chinese subtitle.:D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAMjSaaYQDc

I hope someone can translate what Yejin said. I really want to know what she said with Haha.

Found the news about this program too. Yejin was really nice. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2012/08/haha-believes-he-has-a-chance-with-his-crush-son-ye-jin

https://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/11896/20120803/haha-thinks-he-has-a-chance-with-son-ye-jin.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1