Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Yea I truly hope she would finally get Daesang. She is still the best actress and it looks like she was very happy to win Popularity Award with Hyun Bin and was happy that Kim Hee-Ae  won for Best Actress as well super happy for Seo Ji-Hye and Kim Sun-Young's wins. Wish CLOY got more recognition during the awards though. I really love her speech thanking us fans and she even said "Thank you so much" in English. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Hello everyone! I just want to laud our sister from another mother (and father for that matter), #SonYeJin, in connection to the recent Baeksang Arts Awards, she is one of the actresses in the top 2 and the youngest to date who have bagged the most number of Best Actress/ New Actress Award (TV and Film) from Baeksang. She also won in both tv and movie best actresses category (but you already know that) :) I am looking forward to more years she'll win the best actress award and, hopefully, Daesang soon at Baeksang and other major award giving bodies (Perhaps, The Emmy's soon?)

2020-06-07-15-15-55-Baeksang-Excel.png

2020-06-07-15-16-19-Baeksang-Excel.png

By the way, I did not include the actresses who only won once (in total) be it in Best New Actress or Best Actress (TV or Film) category... that would take so much time.

SOURCE: BAEKSANG WIKIPEDIA (I diligently totaled the figures myself. Got burnt out reading my Law textbook today lol)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

On 6/7/2020 at 12:06 AM, yejinatic1981 said:

SOURCE: BAEKSANG WIKIPEDIA (I diligently totaled the figures myself. Got burnt out reading my Law textbook today lol)

Aww. Thanks. Hugs. 

————

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2020/06/07/entertainment/television/56th-Baeksang-Arts-Awards-JTBC-Ilgan-Sports/20200607153300274.html

'Parasite' continues winning streak at 56th Baeksang Awards

June 7, 2020

05AE84B9-3E15-4DBE-BA85-7BA14B265FA5.jpg

Winners of the 56th Baeksang Arts Awards from the television, film and theater divisions pose for the camera with their trophies on Friday at Kintex in Goyang, Gyeonggi. [ILGAN SPORTS]

Director Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” and the KBS drama series “When the Camellia Blooms” were the stars of the night at this year’s Baeksang Arts Awards.    

The 56th Baeksang Arts Awards, organized by JTBC Plus and Ilgan Sports, took place on Friday evening at Kintex in Goyang, Gyeonggi and was aired live on JTBC. The annual ceremony awarded content released or aired on public broadcasters, cable channels and OTT (Over-The-Top) platforms from April 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020.  

The Grand Prize from the television division went to “When the Camellia Blooms.” 

25634028-7BA9-409A-9181-5E4761B8885A.jpg
Vice president of the Pan Entertainment drama production company, left, and producer Yoon Jae-hyuk hold out their trophy in victory after their drama series "When the Camellia Blooms" received the Grand Prize.

“I would like to express the deepest gratitude to our viewers,” producer Yoon Jae-hyuk said. “I would also like to thank our writer Im Sang-chun who created this beautiful world ‘When the Camellia Blooms.’ And those who filled up this world — director Cha Young-hun, actors Kong Hyo-jin, Kang Ha-neul, and rest of our actors and staff. Our story was not about those in the spotlight. They seem ordinary, but we wanted to show that each of them were doing their best to lead their own precious lives. Right now Korea is going through a tough period, but I hope that like our series, a miracle could happen to all of us who are living every day to our fullest.”  

The series also scooped the awards for Best Screenplay, Best Actor for Kang Ha-neul and Best Supporting Actor for Oh Jung-se.    

“Parasite” wrapped up its year-long showering of accolades with its name being called up as the Grand Prize for the film division. On behalf of director Bong Joon-ho, the cast and staff of “Parasite” took to the stage to accept the award. 

39970364-753E-4E96-9133-21BE4B4762A0.jpg
Producer Kwak Sin-ae and the team of "Parasite" filled up the stage to receive the Grand Prize for their film "Parasite" on behalf of director Bong Joon-ho. [ILGAN SPORTS]

“It’s a great honor to end the journey that began at Cannes last May at the Baeksang Awards,” producer Kwak Sin-ae said. “It has been a passionate year. For our team, we’ve been together for two and a half years, and overall, it has taken seven years to complete this film that began in 2013. Films will continue [despite the coronavirus pandemic]. The day will come soon when we can all meet in the theaters packed with audiences.”   

The film also received Best Film and Best New Actor for Park Myung-hoon.    

SBS drama series “Hot Stove League” landed the award of Best Drama, and the megahit JTBC drama series “The World of the Married” took two awards — Best Actress for Kim Hee-ae and Best Director for director Mo Wan-il.    

Another popular drama series, tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” received three awards: Best Supporting Actress for Kim Sun-young, Bazaar Fashion Icon Award for actor Seo Ji-hye, and TikTok Popularity Awards for actors Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin. The latter is a fan-based award voted on by video application TikTok users around the globe.    

For variety shows, entertainers Yoo Jae-suk and Park Na-rae won Best Variety Performer awards for MBC’s “Hangout With You” and “I Live Alone” respectively.    

The Best Variety Show award went to TV Chosun’s “Mr. Trot” and Best Educational Show went to EBS’s “Giant Peng TV."  

For the rest of the film division, Best Actor and Best Actress awards respectively went to Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon from “The Man Standing Next” and “Birthday.” Director Kim Bo-ra was given Best Director for her film “House of Hummingbird” and director Kim Do-young received Best New Director award for her film “Kim Ji- young, Born 1982.” Director Lee Sang-geun received Best Screenplay for his film “Exit.”    

From this year, a theater division was established. Director Shin Yoo-chung became the first winner of the Baeksang Play Award for his play “Incendies,” adapted from 2003 production by Wajdi Mouawad. The story follows the journey of twins Jeanne and Simon on a mission given by their mother Nawal on her deathbed. It covers social issues related to war, refugees and women.    

Best Actor and Best Actress were respectively given to Baek Seok-kwang from “Wife” and Kim Jung from “Rotterdam.”    

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year’s ceremony was held without an audience. For the third consecutive year, it was hosted by comedian Shin Dong-yup and actors Park Bo-gum and Suzy.    

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Helena said:

Thanks. 

Kim Hye-ja won 4 TV Grand Prize (a record) and Kim Hee-ae also won 2 TV Grand Prize. 

I only computed the Best Actress/ New Actress.... Daesang is a different category. It has different criteria. Some actresses and actors won the Daesang even if they did not perform  well, acting wise,  in their roles. And it could be given to anyone (writer, director etc) or show too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, yejinatic1981 said:

I only computed the Best Actress/ New Actress.... Daesang is a different category. It has different criteria. Some actresses and actors won the Daesang even if they did not perform  well, acting wise,  in their roles. And it could be given to anyone (writer, director etc) or show too.

As I know, although behind the Blue Dragon in terms of film award quality, Baeksang is considered the most prestigious award in Korea honoring the achievements of the television industry (including dramas, variety shows, educational shows). ...). Daesang is Baeksang's highest award, also the most difficult to achieve for people working in television industry since it  is a battle of the most outstanding achievements. It can be given to a Drama / Director / Actor, even NO AWARD if there is no worthy candidate. Some famous dramas that have been received Daesang include: All In, Sorry I Love Love You, Lovers in Paris,  Tree with Deep Roots,... and the most recent When the camellia blooms.

Therefore, I don't think they'll award the Daesang to an actor who isn't great at his job.

That's my opinion about Baeksang, hopefully no one will feel uncomfortable. I'm new here and I've been a fan of Ye Jin for 8 years. Nice to meet everyone ^^

• Like 2

Can we see her soon in a new film? Drama? We didn’t hear any announcement yet, But for sure because she’s still the talk of the town. Do they still post her schedule in MSteam’s website? Before they do, right?

Happy for her though and hope to see her real soon, 2.9m ig followers. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

^

I think we will have her new CFs soon. She filmed a new CF for Ma: nyo a few weeks ago, and filmed another one today. I hope Ye Jin will rest well before receiving a new drama/ movie. CLOY really made her exhausted, she even had been taken to emergency because of it. During her 20-year career, she has never received 3 consecutive dramas. So I think her next project (after her rest) will be a movie :)

MS stopped updating her schedule since 2017. However, they will confirm if there is information about her joining a new project.

• Thanks 1

I am still happy to see YJ wins the popularity award. She's a movie actress afterwards, CLOY is a HUGE success in terms of popularity because of her, HB, and its amazing cast not to forget the director and writer. Can't wait to see something new from her. She was so stunning at Baeksang.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jasmine0202 said:

^

I think we will have her new CFs soon. She filmed a new CF for Ma: nyo a few weeks ago, and filmed another one today. I hope Ye Jin will rest well before receiving a new drama/ movie. CLOY really made her exhausted, she even had been taken to emergency because of it. During her 20-year career, she has never received 3 consecutive dramas. So I think her next project (after her rest) will be a movie :)

MS stopped updating her schedule since 2017. However, they will confirm if there is information about her joining a new project.

Oh okay, I think so too, she doesn’t do dramas consecutively, we’re  just lucky we had 2 from 2018-2019 but she needs to take a rest if she needs to. 

• Like 1

Glad to see she is filming again (potentially more CF filming) 

I think it will be a movie as her next project as well. I think she hasn't confirmed anything either due to covid19 and a lot of projects at the moment have been getting pushed or postponed.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:44 PM, wolfie26 said:

Part of me is sad our girl didn't get the award but my sadness went away when i saw how happy she looked when the popularity award was announced. She deserved that award, no offense. She didn't just acted as SeRi , she was SeRi taking the audience with her. This role was signed and stamped by her. Does she have to act to independent films where she screams and becomes a wreck while everything is dark in order to get awards? Not that the rest didn't deserve to win....

Being from the US, I get the frustration about the bias towards dramatic roles. I'm of the opinion that comedic roles are actually much harder to pull off, because it takes more to make the audience laugh than to make them cry, and if the joke and/or performance falls flat, it suddenly just becomes awkward all around. But for dramatic roles, there's more leeway to "make mistakes", so to speak. 

Two of my favorite performances of all time are Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde (which a lot of people have argued should have gotten an Oscar Best Actress nomination for her), and Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones Diary (who got nominated but didn't win). I have a lot of appreciation for actresses who can pull off great comedic roles.

That's why I'm kind of disappointed that it seems that SYJ's performance of YSR was overlooked just because it was more rom-com than melodrama. Apparently she ranked a distant 4th below KHA, GHJ and KHS. I don't think anyone else can pull off the complex character of YSR other than SYJ, and it's because she showed a lot of depth to the character. And it's not like there weren't any dramatic moments in the show. Two of the best scenes of the entire series were the face-to-face interrogation with RJH in which she was trying to fight off fainting until she was out of the room, and the scene just before RJH was taken back to NK. That sequence was one the of the best I've seen in a show or movie in awhile. That desperation of YSR thinking that she will never see RJH again was guttural, and it's as good as any dramatic performance the past year, if not better.

Oh well. Even though SYJ may not end up winning any awards for CLOY, I think people will eventually see YSR as the character of her career, which made such a huge cultural impact not only in Asia but in the entire world. Kind of like how Leonardo DiCaprio will always be known for his role in Titanic, even though he won the Oscar award for The Revenant. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

@slowpoked Agree, as an A-lister she mentioned in her interviews that to prepare for the role, she watched lots of comedy shows/comedians to understand comedic timing, it's not easy BUT she did great.  She's always at her best. Versatility at its finest, not surprised if Japan is investing to showing her films again. Great job SYJ!

• Like 4

^ thanks @ElectricHearts . these clips are from Ilgan Sports (official organizer of BaeksangArtsAwards); their cameramen must have lots more bts footages, wonder if they will release them. :)

She liked many fans’ postings yesterday, fans must be so happy.

——————-

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 06. 08.

Hyun Bin x Son Ye Jin rise to lead Hallyu thanks to "Crash Landing on You"

6E1CBDE1-AE37-4285-83AD-E15EEDAE8177.jpg

Actors Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin of "Crash Landing on You" drama are at the center of the strong Korean wave. In the international fan community, the two are nicknamed "RiRi Couple" (named after 2 characters in the drama, Ri Jung Hyuk and Yoon Se Ri). "Crash Landing on You" becomes the best Hallyu content following "Descendants of the Sun" - the best Hallyu drama before the ban on Hallyu.

"Crash Landing on You" (tvN), which premiered on December 14, 2019, ended with episode 16 in February. Its highest rating was 21.7% (according to standards for households using paid platforms nationwide, Nielsen Korea). This has been the biggest feat among the tvN dramas so far. The drama was broadcast simultaneously in Korea and Netflix. In the situation where the Hallyu wave faces limitations due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and cultural bans from China towards South Korea, "Crash Landing on You" had a decisive step when using the Netflix platform.

30166275-6421-4C46-91F5-A062E168596F.jpg

As soon as it had been on air in February, "Crash Landing on You" entered the top 10 of Netflix Japan for 10 weeks. The work went more viral when Japanese celebrities said that they were its fans. Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin are even more popular than the "Song-Song Couple" (Song Hye Kyo and Song Joong Ki) and are gaining support from a wide range of ages.

Not only Japan, Netflix also created a more powerful influence than before based on the platform of users from 190 nations worldwide. The power of content is getting stronger when society is practicing compulsory social distancing due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. Standing alongside blockbusters such as "Money Heist", "Stranger Things", "The Walking Dead", "Crash Landing on You" has claimed No.4 of the most-watched contents on OTT worldwide according to statistics by PC magazine (the US). It can be seen that "Crash Landing on You" has reached global popularity as it received praise from BBC (the UK) and Washington Post (the US).

Recently, there are various indicators that can illustrate the level of global popularity of "Crash Landing on You". The vote for the Actor Popularity Award of the "56th Baeksang Arts Awards" was carried out on TikTok. TikTok is a representative global OTT app that owns a larger number of international users than Korean ones. Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin were ahead of all current idol fandoms to win No.1 amid the support of worldwide fans. The couple's level of public recognition is inherently remarkable, but the key factor that helps them benefit from the global fandom is "Crash Landing on You". The most notable work among foreign representatives is undoubtedly "Crash Landing on You".

An entertainment insider shared, "Recently, Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin are grabbing more interest than anticipated. With the simultaneous broadcast on Netflix, 'Crash Landing on You' is contributing to reviving the Hallyu sensation. Apart from curiosity about the depiction of North Korea, the film was screened right at the time the OTT users soared up due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Notably, as for Hyun Bin's case, he yet again consolidated his status as a Hallyu representative star and thereby received a load of invitations for cooperation from many countries. Following "Secret Garden", "Crash Landing on You" brought a chance that helped Hyun Bin raise his rank among actors."

Reporter Hwang So Young hwang.soyoung@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Son Ye Jin Chose as the Most Beautiful Woman of 2020

by krishkim 

62CEE4F4-B8DB-41B6-B4F8-F68D6ADB3366.jpg
Credit: news1

Actor Son Ye Jin topped the list of “100 Most Beautiful Women in the World 2020.”

Starmometer announced the list of “100 Most Beautiful Women in the World 2020” on June 6. After a global vote of 13,955,584 via an online poll and social media, Son Ye Jin was chosen the Most Beautiful Woman of 2020.

Son Ye Jin took place with a total of 4,354,037 votes. Starmometer wrote that Son Ye Jin “started to take off in as early as 2003 when she starred in the movie ‘The Classic’ which was also shown in Hong Kong and China. Her popularity continues to rise after starring in romance-themed movies and TV series such as ‘Summer Scent’ (2003), ‘A Moment to Remember’ (2004), and ‘April Snow’ (2005).”

Then they added, “When it comes to awards, she was recognized for her versatility in diverse genres like in ‘Alone in Love’ (2006), ‘My Wife Got Married’(2008), ‘The Pirates’ (2014) and the 2016 films ‘The Truth Beneath’ and ‘The Last Princess.‘”

Most recently, Son Ye Jin made a megahit with Crash Landing on You.

A8659684-584B-4494-B475-284E61D63087.jpg
Credit: Starmometer

BLACKPINK’s Lisa ranked second, winning a total of 3,852,340 votes. TWICE’s Tzuyu was ranked third with a total of 1,232,298 votes.

Besides, BLACKPINK’s Jisoo came in fifth, BLACKPINK’s Rose ranked sixth, actor Song Hye Kyo came in seventh, and BLACKPINK’s Jennie was spotted in rank eighth, drawing attention.

Ranking

1. Son Ye Jin, SOUTH KOREA
2. Lalisa Manoban, THAILAND
3. Tzuyu, TAIWAN
4. Urassaya Sperbund, THAILAND

5. Jisoo Kim, SOUTH KOREA
6. Rose Park, NEW ZEALAND
7. Song Hye Kyo, SOUTH KOREA
8. Jennie Kim, SOUTH KOREA

Source (1, 2, 3)

————————————————————————————————————————————
Repost for fans who can’t access twitter.  Credits: https://twitter.com/sonyejin0111/

[TRANS/INFO] "Son Yejin picked as an exclusive model for Jenny House hair brand"

"Son Yejin is Korea's representative Hallyu star, a woman's wannabe as an actress and beauty icon." 

"She will model for Jenny House's "Re;bak Style Repair Shampoo & Treatment". It's gaining popularity and has been sold out on home shopping."
"Jenny House expects to show synergy in expanding the market with Son Yejin, who is expanding her fandom from Asia to Europe and America."
http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=161844

3B9162A3-9334-4E32-A808-A591C41F6CB9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Helena said:

these clips are from Ilgan Sports (official organizer of BaeksangArtsAwards); their cameramen must have lots more bts footages, wonder if they will release them. :)

Ilgan Sports: 56th Baeksang Arts Awards Hyun Bin x Son Ye Jin

@eLizza ok. 

7C877D54-04A4-4571-A05C-F0328F98F50C.jpg

imagecr: ilgansports

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

I am also very pleased with the Popularity Awards she received, as well as the Baeksang results. She is already one of the most accomplished actresses of her generation. 5 times winning Best actress of Korea's most prestigious film awards, box office queen, national first love, ... All she needs is mega-hit Hallyu to increase international popularity and fanbase, and CLOY helped her get it :)

Hopefully she rests well and got a new movie soon. She once said she wanted to work with Ha Jung Woo, Lee Byung Hun or Song Kang Ho. Can't wait for the box office king and queen collaboration.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Does anyone know how does this work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYf5VLPTPCE - from TC handler, The Most 100 Beautiful Face 2020?

I've read @Helena post about Starmometer - The Most Beautiful Woman 2020, just not happy with the comments from a website about SYJ winning. I don't want to take it seriously but it bothers me somehow, apparently. :crazy:  People's preference differ, I understand that but to that point of negativities, it makes me cringe. Maybe they were just surprised about the result of the popularity award and beat K-Pop stars which have bigger fandoms, they did not expect SYJ to win.

Oh well, our Queen won't be bothered anyway! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1