Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

5 hours ago, vixen88 said:

Hi all! I must admit I have been a fan of SYJ since CLOY, since then I have watched all her movies and currently watching her dramas. 

I am in awe of how good of an actress she is! So versatile! 

I am reading post from this forum since page 1, I am not even halfway through it. I really want to know more about her, and ofcourse gain friends who also like her. 

Hi Vixen! 

I’ve been a fan of Ye Jin since April Snow. It was released in 2005, but if I can remember it correctly, I only got to watch it around 2006 or 2007. Since then, I made sure to watch her movies even though it’s quite difficult to get hold of as an international viewer, especially because she was not really a big Hallyu star like the other famous ones even though in Korea she’s a legend. I’ll be honest, initially I only watched it because of Bae Yong Joon was in it, but I ended up falling in love with the acting of YJ. 

Before, I would classify myself as just a fan rather than a stan cos I’m not into stanning actors really. I just know that if YJ is in it, it must be good cos she never disappoints. In a way, I’m glad of SITR cos it introduced her to the international audience, and it made looking for updates about her easier. Then CLOY came around, and I’m now hooked more than ever and now a certified stan. I make sure to watch every Youtube video and read every articles about her. I learnt that she’s an amazing person as well aside from being an amazing actor. I can’t wait to see more of Ye Jin’s projects. 

As you can probably see on my profile picture, I am a BinJin shipper. I highly approve of Son Eon-Jin and Kim Tae Pyung (Hyun Bin’s real name) to be a couple in real life. But that doesn’t mean my views are limited to only their pairing. I would also love to see her continued to be paired up with other several amazing actors/actresses with same or higher accolades and skills like hers. She takes pride in her skills as an actress, and as a fan of hers I take pride in seeing her do what she does best. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 4/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, C'est la vie said:

Lee Byung hun has played in a few Hollywood movies. It would be great if Son Ye Jin ever gets the chance to play in a Hollywood movie as well. I think it would be awesome if they both played in a Quentin Tarantino Movie. Or not Hollywood, a Bong Joon-ho movie! 

Now that Netflix is around, the term ''Hollywood'' is not as far away as it used to be. In fact Netflix co-produced both the drama CLOY and their movie Negociation. Netflix right now infiltrates every market and partner up with established media giants in these countries to create great shows and movies and then they are broadcast on Netflix forever so technically Ye Jin and Hyun Bin are already involved in Hollywood right now, just not the traditional way. I have a feeling we will see them again in another project together. The world is changing and what used to be forbidden before in K entertainment, like repeating couples in dramas and movies, will also change especially when a pairing can make them so much money and success  because their chemistry is truly special.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jamy47 said:

Now that Netflix is around, the term ''Hollywood'' is not as far away as it used to be. In fact Netflix co-produced both the drama CLOY and their movie Negociation. Netflix right now infiltrates every market and partner up with established media giants in these countries to create great shows and movies and then they are broadcast on Netflix forever so technically Ye Jin and Hyun Bin are already involved in Hollywood right now, just not the traditional way. 

I see your points. Netflix is globally and an American company. Hollywood is different. Netflix can't be considered Hollywood. I also meant a movie where the main language is English. Yejin wants to take new challenges, so that was why I wrote my initial post :)

P.S. Netflix didn't co-produce The Negotiation. It may be streamed in your country on Netflix, but they didn't co-produce it. Also, Crash landing On You was produced by South Korean company tvN and distributed by Netflix. 

For all the new fans of Yejin (and ofc also the oldest ones like me :D) here some facts about the best actress in our lives :wub::

21 Son Ye Jin Facts Including Her Career, BFFs, Dating Life & Upcoming Projects

By: PENNY WONG 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz8XEnRMpXnsfhIekUCEw
Son Ye Jin Facts And News

Son Ye Jin certainly crash landed into our hearts with her comedic charms and expressive acting in Crash Landing On You (CLOY). If you can’t get enough of the award-winning actress, here are some facts you need to know, from her career to her personal life.

1. Son Ye Jin made her debut at 18

Son Ye Jin was born on 11 January 1982 in Daegu, South Korea.

Her first appearance on the big screen was a supporting role in the film Secret Tears (2001) when she was fresh out of high school. She has been working consistently since, having starred in popular dramas such as Personal Taste (2010) alongside top actor Lee Min Ho and of course, Crash Landing On You (2019-2020).

2. Had a classic rise to stardom

Her breakout role was in The Classic (2003), alongside top actors Jo In Sung and Cho Seung Woo. The movie drew parallels between the love stories of a mother and daughter, both played by Son Ye Jin. 

3. Known as the “nation’s first love”

Popularly referred to as the reigning queen of melodramas, she is also one of a few Korean female A-listers to be dubbed the “nation’s first love”, possibly because of her innocent schoolgirl image in The Classic (2003).

4. Acting as an outlet for her emotions
In an interview with The Swoon, she mentioned that she got into acting because she felt an overload of emotions during her teenage years, and thought that acting would be a good outlet for her. 

5. Has acted in a wide variety of genres 

The versatile actress has an impressive filmography that includes historical movies such as The Last Princess (2016), action films like The Pirates (2014) and The Truth Beneath (2016), a political thriller.

6. An award-winning actress

Son Ye Jin has nabbed multiple big awards in the Korean film industry, namely the Baeksang Arts Awards, Grand Bell Awards and Blue Dragon Film Awards.

7. Does not fear new roles

Having acted as a mistress in April Snow (2005) at 23 years old and a divorcee in Alone in Love (2006) at 24, the actress has related that she had no fears portraying a wide range of characters despite her young age at the time.

8. CLOY is not the first time she’s worked with Hyun Bin

Prior to hit drama Crash Landing On You, the duo worked together on a film called The Negotiation in 2018. 

However, Son Ye Jin commented that it didn’t really feel like they were acting together because the nature of the plot required them to film in separate locations. 

9. She has made a cameo in Hyun Bin’s past work

All Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin shippers would be glad to know that their paths have intertwined long before CLOY. She previously made a cameo in Hyun Bin’s hit drama, Secret Garden (2010).

10. Low-profile love life

There has been no news of the actress’ dating life for the past 20 years. Apparently, she claims to be “bad at dating” because she doesn’t proactively go out of her way to meet more people.She has also said that she isn’t about outward appearances, and just wants a nice and caring guy.

11. Is a pilates and TRX guru

son-ye-jin-2-600x360.jpg

If you wondered how Son Ye Jin could run so quickly in CLOY, it’s because she’s an absolute fitspo. The actress has done pilates and TRX (Total Body Resistance Exercise) for over 10 years. She even has an instructor’s license.

Spoiler

12. Change is not the only constant when it comes to Son Ye Jin

Source

It seems that consistency is key to Son Ye Jin. She has a mighty track record of working out in the same gym for over 10 years, having the same hairdresser for more than 15 years and staying with the same management company for over 19 years now.

13. She’s very competitive

Source

Her love for games and her desire for winning are a lethal combination. The award-winning actress has declared that she plays the Korean card game, Go-stop, until her back hurts⁠—and nobody gets to go home until she wins.

14. She’s very honest

Source

The actress is known for being refreshingly candid. In an interview, Hyun Bin mentioned that he found her ability to speak what’s on her mind to be an attractive trait of hers.

Source

Her close friend, fellow actress Gong Hyo Jin, echoed this sentiment on a variety show as well. She said,  “For her (Son Ye Jin), honesty is very important… If she catches you exaggerating, she will scold you.” 

15. Her group of friends is literally #squadgoals

Dining on her terrace with friends
Source

Son Ye Jin has a solid friend group consisting of popular actresses like Kim Min Jung, Gong Hyo Jin and Yoona from Girls’ Generation, who come together pretty often for gatherings or alfresco dining sessions on Son Ye Jin’s terrace. 

16. Travelling is a big part of her life

Source

Son Ye Jin views travelling as a good way to discover her true self, and claims to spend half her time globe-trotting.

Source

A quick scroll through her instagram feed will show you her escapades to various places like Milan and Hawaii.

17. She practised for her role as Yoon Se Ri by watching female comedians

Source

Son Ye Jin studied the mannerisms of female comedians to perfect her expressions for her character as Yoon Se Ri in CLOY. 

18. A natural beauty

Her makeup artist, Mu Jin, has said that for the North Korean scenes in CLOY, she left Son Ye Jin’s brows undone and used a colourless lip balm because the actress’s lips were already red. Mu Jin also mentioned that she only uses a thin layer of foundation for Son Ye Jin, because she barely needs it.

Son Ye Jin in The Classic (left) and Crash Landing On You (right)
Source, source

The actress also doesn’t seem to age. You would never have fathomed the 17-year age gap between the two pictures, the first from The Classic in 2003 and the second from CLOY in 2020.

19. She’s really into flowers

Source

Her Instagram feed is filled with pictures of bouquets from fans. A tour of her house also revealed vases of flowers on tables and countertops, adding a delicate touch to the interiors.

20. Donated generously to support the fight against COVID-19

The city of Daegu is Son Ye Jin’s hometown, as well as the epicentre of the pandemic in South Korea. It is not surprising then that she donated 100 million won (~S$115,000) to the Daegu branch of the Community Chest of Korea. 

21. A lifelong commitment to acting

Son Ye Jin related to her friend Gong Hyo Jin that she is going to keep acting until she’s a grandma. For now, there is no sign of the actress putting her career on hold, with her upcoming film, Boston 1947, set for release in December 2020.

Article written by : Penny Wong

Link for the article https://zula.sg/son-ye-jin/

• Like 4

Cloy even finale episode aired more than 2 months back was ranked in top 10 netflix worldwide ( huge not just korea ) in march last week. I have read everyone is getting love calls from all over asia especially leads. What a success even after 2 decades at top. Her biggest hallyu success as well as biggest drama of her career commercially.  I find it hilarious that she was always top movie actress but her dramas never worked like her movies. That is just mystery to me. 

I really find it impressive that she is so selective in endorsements when she could earn tens of millions of dollars with all love calls.  It really takes big heart to say no to so many cf deals. And she does less and only when she wants to. That is very big thing in my opinion to do selective endorsements. I guess she makes more from movie work and must invest in all of them to get profit sharing worth millions.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

Son YeJin on a fanmeet back on the earlier 2000’s (probably after The Classic) :

Look the way that she treats and interact with her fans... she’s so down to earth , so lovely 

glad to see that she had such great time :wub:, those fans are the luckiest Yejin’s stans everrrr.

• Like 3
  • Love 4