Shin Ha Kyun 신하균

Guest OreoVampire

May 4, 2019

A tale of friendship forged through hardship and laughter:

‘Inseparable Bros’ director shows that brotherhood can come in many forms

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

03204655.jpg
“Inseparable Bros” features the thicker-than-blood bond between wheelchair-bound Se-ha (Shin Ha-kyun) and intellectually disabled Dong-gu (Lee Kwang-soo). It also stars the actor Esom, left. [NEW]

Do brothers have to be related by blood? 

“Inseparable Bros” tells a tale of two men - the wheelchair-bound Se-ha (Shin ha-kyun) and the intellectually disabled Dong-gu (Lee Kwang-soo) - who form an inseparable bond during their childhood while living at a care facility for unwanted and orphaned children. 

Se-ha can’t move from the neck down, but that doesn’t stop him from taking care of the younger Dong-gu like his own brother. Dong-gu, in turn, acts like the hands and feet of Se-ha. 

When their care facility is at risk of closing down and separating the two, the “brothers” take it upon themselves to keep the building in operation using whatever means it takes. 

“Inseparable Bros” promises to deliver a lot of laughs - and a few tears too - as the clever Se-ha and strong and energetic Dong-gu flaunt their incredible teamwork while sometimes bickering like real siblings.

The film’s plot is actually based on a remarkable true story. 

Choi Seung-gyu and Park Jong-ryeol lived together for over 10 years like brothers at a child care facility in Gwangju beginning in 1996. They went everywhere together, earning the nickname “superglue.”

Their unbelievable friendship came to light when Choi was admitted to Gwangju University’s social welfare department and eventually received a social worker certificate. 

Like in the movie, Park was by Choi’s side the whole time, pushing his wheelchair to classes and even turning the pages of his textbook. 

Yook Sang-hyo directed and wrote the screenplay for the big screen adaptation of this heartwarming story. He’s best known for directing the low-budget comedy “He’s on Duty” (2010), a social commentary about a Korean man who disguises himself as a Bhutanese migrant worker in the hopes of receiving affirmative action benefits, only to face racism instead. 

Yook said he still recalls the first time he saw the real “brothers” six years ago. 

“I can’t forget the cheerfulness of Choi and Park when I first met them,” he said in an interview with the JoongAng Ilbo last month. 

“I went down to Gwangju often to see them, ate and drank together with them and had overnight trips. It began to dawn on me that we can all be like family if we love and help each other, even if we aren’t related by blood.” 

The following are edited excerpts from the interview.

03204708.jpg
Yook Sang-hyo, 56, directed and wrote the screenplay for the film, released Wednesday.

Q. How much of ‘Inseparable Bros’ is based on a true story? 

A. We kept true to the types of disabilities and personalities that Choi and Park have. The events from halfway through the film are made-up. 

We incorporated daily observations and added a humorous twist. In one of the scenes, for example, Se-ha makes an order at a cafe but you can only see Dong-gu. We noticed that wheelchair users are often only at eye level with the counter. 

It took you three years to finish the script. Why so long? 

I was careful to exclude potentially hurtful humor aspects and was focused on strengthening the plot. 

Although I wanted to show the characters’ happiness as it was, I didn’t want their behavior to appear comical. We also consulted a lot of organizations for people with disabilities. 

Why did you decide to portray the story as a comedy? 

When you laugh together, you become closer. 

I myself changed a lot [through the film]. Since I had to meet up with people with disabilities, I was later able to joke around with them. 

Did Choi and Park come to see the film? 

Only Seung-gyu came to Seoul and saw it at a preview. He told me it was well-balanced and unbiased, and he’s the type to be critical with these issues since he’s an advocate for people with disabilities.

Seung-gyu told me that he teared up during a court scene in the movie when Se-ha delivered moving lines about independence, and laughed a lot in a ramyeon scene because it reminded him of them eating together. 

How was it working with Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Kwang-soo? 

Shin Ha-kyun really helped set the mood on set, so we called him ‘actor manager.’ He doesn’t only have good articulation, but he knows exactly the right emotional tones to take on for each scene. 

I liked Lee Kwang-soo’s soft gaze. He wasn’t talkative like he is on TV. Because he can get really immersed in the moment, we shot the important scenes first and then filmed the rest. 

We also didn’t force Lee to make stereotypical movements of people with mental disabilities. 

Who do you hope watches ‘Inseparable Bros?’ 

I want young job seekers like Mi-hyun (the part-timer in the movie who helps Dong-gu train for a swimming competition) to see the film. 

The young people in this generation are always saying that they are just jonbeo [holding on through rough and often unpleasant situations]. But I wanted to tell them let’s live together with courage, helping each other through difficult times. 

What was your goal in making this film? 

I like screenwriter and director Richard Curtis’ ‘Notting Hill’ (1999) and ‘Love Actually’ (2003). His movies feature diverse characters like those with disabilities, racial minorities and homosexuals.

His movies don’t exploit people, but use them to comfort the audience and make them laugh. 

Comedies give people something to think about. I try hard to stick to that principle. 

BY NA WON-JEONG [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

May 7, 2019

Lee Kwang Soo Talks About Film Co-Star Shin Ha Kyun And His Thoughts On Happiness

Source: Soompi by L. Kim

Lee Kwang Soo Talks About Film Co-Star Shin Ha Kyun And His Thoughts On Happiness

Lee Kwang Soo shared his thoughts about senior actor Shin Ha Kyun and the meaning of happiness.

The actor laughed as he said, “I have a high level of happiness. Personally, I’m easily satisfied with myself. If I set a big goal and don’t achieve it, I may not be able to erase the feeling of failure, so I don’t set big goals. I think I’ve been happy for the last 12 years since my debut, and I’m very satisfied with this.”

He continued, “I want to do my best so that I can be happy with the people around me even after 10 or 20 years. If you want to be greedy or grandiose, you’ll get stressed out, so I just want to be happy like this.”

Lee Kwang Soo’s latest movie “Inseparable Bros” with Shin Ha Kyun was released on May 1. The sentimental comedy is about an older boy Se Ha (played by Shin Ha Kyun), who is the ‘brain,’ and a younger boy Dong Goo (played by Lee Kwang Soo), who is the ‘brawn.’ Though not blood related brothers, they grew up together and stood by each other for the past 20 years. Se Ha is smart, but has a physical disability. Dong Goo is in excellent physical health, but has the mental capacity of a child.

Previously, Shin Ha Kyun praised Lee Kwang Soo’s acting, and Lee Kwang Soo responded, “Don’t people usually not openly praise each other like that? It’s touching to hear compliments through articles and third parties, but I felt even more proud this time. I grew up watching Shin Ha Kyun’s work, and I had a great time watching ‘Welcome to Dongmakgol’ when I was out of the army. So the fact that he saw me in a positive light was very new to me. I think I was able to perfect the character Dong Goo because of Shin Ha Kyun.”

Then he added, “To be honest, I had a hard time with him at first. I heard that he didn’t talk much, and I’m shy with strangers, too. But before the filming, he reached out to me first. Of course, we didn’t talk much though. However, I felt his efforts, so I was able to treat him comfortably after that.”

Lee Kwang Soo showed his admiration for Shin Ha Kyun, saying, “When he talks to the director or deals with the crew and his junior actors, he makes sure he shows consideration for them so that they don’t feel burdened. For example, when setting up an appointment for dinner, he searches up where to go in advance. He’s a sweet guy. I want to be like Shin Ha Kyun when I have more junior actors.”

Lastly, the actor talked about the kind of person he wanted to be. He said, “I value my happiness. I want to be a good person who isn’t only nice to others, but also feels happy while showing consideration for others. Even if it’s a good deed, there’s a limit if you’re uncomfortable with yourself, right? Yoo Jae Suk also shows consideration for others because he’s happy. So when I see that, I start to think carefully about the definition of a ‘good person.'”

Source (1)

May 8, 2019

Korean films ready to strike back on Avengers

optimize

A scene from the film ""Inseparable Bros." Courtesy of NEW

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

As the box-office smash "Avengers: Endgame" enters its third week, Korean films are set to strike back to reclaim their home turf. 

With the front-running comedy drama "Inseparable Bros," premiering May 1, more Korean films, based on true stories, will be released in the coming days.

"Inseparable Bros," starring Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Kwang-soo, is a comedy telling the story of two men, one physically and the other mentally handicapped, becoming as inseparable as real brothers. 

Against the Hollywood blockbuster, the small-budget film ― based on a true story of two men who lived together for over a decade ― is having a meaningful box office achievement. The heartening comedy currently ranks second in the local box office, attracting 920,000 viewers as of Tuesday. 

On May 15, "Juror 8" and "The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil" will hit local theaters. 

The former film is inspired by the stories of jurors who participated in the first jury trial right after Korea introduced the system for criminal cases in 2008. Eight ordinary people from different backgrounds gather for a murder trial, in which a son was charged with killing his mother. 

With the presence of evidence and witnesses in the case, only the sentencing process seemed to be left. But the jury questions the son's guilt, and the trial has an unexpected ending. 

Ordinary people, who had never judged another person in the legal process, question the case, based on their different life experiences and common sense. They turn the tables on the case which seemed almost solved, and get closer to the truth. Their truth-finding process will give thrills and catharsis to viewers. 

Director Hong Seung-wan, debuting with the film, wrote the script after studying 80 similar legal cases and rulings. 

"The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil," invited to the Midnight Screening at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival, is also inspired by real incidents. Lee Won-tae, director of the action noir, said the gangsters' turf wars over video arcades happened in 2005. 

The film, starring Ma Dong-seok of "Train to Busan," tells the story of a cop and a gangster who team up to chase a serial killer.

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

June 14, 2019

HanCinema's News

May Box Office Best Ever for Domestic South Korean Films

By William Schwartz HanCinema.net

photo1072308.jpg

The Korean Film Council just released their full report about May at the South Korean box office. According to the report, May 2019 was the best May ever for Korean films at the South Korean box office. The total number of patrons for May this year was 8.61 million, a 69.1% jump from last year.

The dominance was due, in part, to a lack of real competition from foreign films. "Avengers: Endgame" was a holdover from April, and the "Aladdin" remake had a relatively weak opening, although it has since rebounded and is currently outperforming the new "Men in Black" film in online reservations.

South Korean films, in the meantime, covered very diverse genre spread. "Miss and Mrs. Cops" earned 1.61 million viewers as a police themed comedy, while "Inseparable Bros" had 1.43 million viewers as a heartwarming comedy drama built around persons with handicaps. "The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil" added 3.17 million viewers as a mostly serious crime film.

The art house film "Parasite", which opened on May 30th, earned 1.2 million admissions in its first two days in the box office. The bulk of its admissions came during June. "Parasite" is still doing well at the box office, facing "Aladdin" as its main competition going into its third weekend.

Written by William Schwartz

• 3 months later...

October 6, 2019

Korean replacement for Joaquin Phoenix in 'Joker?'

By Ko Dong-hwan The Korea Times

optimize

Joaquin Phoenix in "Joker."

With the critically acclaimed film "Joker" already drawing millions of Korean theater-goers, some who have studied the film has come up with a unique question: which Korean actors could play the role of The Joker in a Korean version of the film?

That virtual casting pivoted around Phoenix's impressive performance as the mentally unstable clown-for-hire Arthur Fleck in grim Gotham City whose psyche gradually self-demolishes and develops into that of the infamous Joker.

The candidates, mostly referred to in online comments, were praised for their performances in films or TV shows in roles not dissimilar to the brazen, twisted DC Comics villain.

1de1a86a14bc43a48f0a6a89254f7d68.jpg

(From Top) Shin Ha-kyun from "Pied Piper"

d5912757419e45238e91859219b10065.jpg

and Ryu Seung-beom from "Tazza: One Eyed Jack"

Shin Ha-kyun earned credit for his role in "Pied Piper" (2016) on tvN, playing an adviser to police emergency negotiation team. He was selected mostly thanks to a scene in which has a bloodied face and an untimely smirk.

Another poor man's Joker was Ryu Seung-beom and his performance of One-Eyed Jack in the 2019 film "Tazza: One Eyed Jack." Portraying a legendary poker player with an eccentric fashion style of hairdo and sunglasses, the con artist and gambler never lets out his emotion.

The last candidate is Kim Eung-soo who played a villainous, second-level "hwatu" gambler in the 2006 film "Tazza: The High Rollers." His fans mentioned his memorable performance in the box office hit where brutality and naivety were interestingly crisscrossed to give him an extreme personality in line with Joker.

Online evaluation stated that the three performers, with their own unique colors, "could assuredly digest the role of 'Joker' impeccably."

aoshima11@koreatimes.co.kr 

• 7 months later...

‘Parasite’ Studio CJ Entertainment Puts ‘Green Planet’ on Course for English Remake

By Patrick Frater | May 7, 2020

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/cj-entertainment-save-the-green-planet-remake-1234600432/

———

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/05/689_289275.html

Cult film 'Save the Green Planet' slated for Hollywood remake

Original director Jang to helm US production

By Kwon Mee-yoo | 2020-05-10

FE36ED59-58E0-48F6-9C9A-AB925649028B.jpg

Shin Ha-Kyun as Byung-gu in the 2003 film "Save the Green Planet," which will become a Hollywood remake by original director Jang Joon-hwa / Korea Times file

Korean sci-fi black comedy "Save the Green Planet" will become a Hollywood remake with original director Jang Joon-hwan to once again direct the cult hit. 

CJ ENM, which is behind the multiple Oscar wins of "Parasite," announced Saturday that it will remake the 2003 film in the United States. Will Tracy, who wrote HBO's "Succession," will adapt the screenplay for Hollywood.

The offbeat cult film revolves around Byung-gu, a paranoid man who believes that Earth is on the brink of alien invasion. Byung-gu tries to stop the aliens by kidnapping a powerful businessman Man-sik, suspecting him to be the leader of aliens from Andromeda.

Jang made his debut with "Save the Green Planet" and continued to direct thrillers "Hwayi: A Monster Boy" (2013) and "1987: When the Day Comes" (2017).

CJ Group Vice Chairwoman Lee Mi-kyung said in a statement, "One thing we learned from our success with Parasite is that audiences globally are excited to see genre-bending films with big themes. Jang is a master of this in his own right, and we're so glad to be working alongside Ari, Lars and Will to help translate what made the original so special to an English language version that feels relevant to what's going on today."

Ari Aster, director and writer of folk horror film "Midsommar," and producer Lars Knudsen will produce the English-language production under the banner of his production company Square Peg alongside CJ ENM.

"Swinging with youthful abandon between white-knuckle suspense, absurd slapstick, grim horror and a deeply felt (and earned) sense of tragedy, Save the Green Planet! is one of the most remarkable films to come out of South Korea ― among this recent wave or any wave, for that matter," Aster said in a statement. 

This remake comes with CJ ENM's growing repertoire of English-language remakes in recent years including "Extreme Job" based on the Korean film of the same name and "Bye, Bye, Bye" based on "Sunny."

• Guest changed the title to Shin Ha Kyun 신하균
  • 7 months later...

https://theactorispresent.kr/shin-hakyun
Shin Hakyun

A guy called ‘The God of Acting.’ A reliable partner for Korea’s representative film director

F8EB4B63-FA94-4232-BF16-189F079E0825.jpg
 photo by Ahn Seongjin

Shin Hakyun is an actor who grew up working with Korea’s representative directors such as Jang Jin, Park Chanwook, and Jang Joonhwan. In the early 2000s when the Korean cinema was unusually vibrant, Shin was a great tool and reliable partner for those directors. In the films The Happenings (1998), The Spy (1999), and Guns and Talks (2001) directed by Jang Jin, Shin played the unique, goofy characters that you would find nowhere else in the world.

In Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Thirst (2009) directed by Park Chanwook, Shin represented eerie characters with madness and fear. In Save The Green Planet! (2003) directed by Jang Joonhwan, the actor’s character Byunggu, who harbored a futile theory of aliens, was so unique that Shin became a cult legend along with the movie.

Through his filmography, Shin Hakyun proved himself to be an actor with talent that cannot be defined in one word. The words such as ‘out-of-the-world’, ‘unrealistic’, ‘hard to define’, and even ‘B-movie charm’ were used to describe him. Meanwhile, such perceptions sometimes also hampered his career in mainstream movies. In other words, there has been less room for Shin to set his talent free as the Korean film system was reorganized to focus on the capital of large companies and the creators who tried various adventures hardly emerged.

Surprisingly, rather than just sitting and waiting, Shin began to display his talent by infiltrating into the story and refreshing it. Such change was noticeable from the TV medical drama Brain (2012). Shin’s character, Lee Kanghoon, was a typical doctor full of ambition, but the actor put his own personality and multi-layered aspects on the character. The viewers cheered him, and Shin won the Best Actor that year.

Shin Hakyun’s original charm that gave him the nickname ‘God Hakyun’ is still valid. In the comedy film Extreme Job (2018), which attracted 10 million viewers, the actor made a surprise appearance as the villain Lee Moobae, making his presence felt just as much as the main characters did. After shooting the film Anchor, Shin is now showing an impressive performance as a cop who is also a murder suspect in the TV drama series Monster. Shin Hakyun, ambitious in acting but free from jealousy, is walking his own path without being categorized in any way. Jung Siwoo

———

The 57th BaekSang Arts Awards 제57회 백상예술대상 [May 13, 2021]

========
TV Section 
========
Best Leading Actor 최우수연기상 (남): Shin Ha-kyun 신하균 (‘Beyond Evil/Monster 괴물’)

11978DF6-BE7B-457C-AF07-E8BA67ECDB81.jpg

Spoiler

2C28F287-912C-45E6-B217-7A0BB39A5B19.jpg

943ACDCB-8A95-48F3-B12A-ED576B268074.jpg

4B44830B-FE3E-4F0A-ADC6-371C30B6238E.jpg

B2B56F68-9E56-4683-BADE-751A865E9912.jpg

7981974A-C615-4D72-A70F-65D0DB02DBB3.jpg

ED0565C6-79FC-4A35-AEC6-9A29BDE96826.jpg

FC6019B1-FF19-4E09-BDDC-93974E796B3A.jpg

1CECF6FA-2691-4A8D-BB46-8F845F98C55E.jpg

EA61DB63-8C3A-4D27-80CF-4FDD9CE0EAA2.jpg

Src: ilgansports

‘Beyond Evil’ is available on Netflix.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81437733

• 1 month later...

https://zapzee.net/2021/07/14/shin-ha-kyun-in-talks-to-star-in-new-sci-fi-series-beyond-the-memory/
Shin Ha Kyun In Talks To Star In New Sci-fi Series ‘Beyond The Memory’

by Eungee Joh

C66F4553-837B-4113-8E5A-F3F8BE21B6AC.jpg

Actor Shin Ha-kyun, Director Lee Joon-ik

Shin Ha Kyun is working on selecting his next project.

According to multiple industry insiders, Shin may star in Beyond The Memory.

Beyond The Memory will be a TV adaptation of original work that centers around virtual reality in the future. It will be produced into “a mid-form drama,” a series that lasts less than an hour.

Since he has wonderfully played an award-winning character in Beyond Evil earlier this year, many wondered what Shin Ha Kyun’s next step would be. Should he choose Beyond The Memory as his next project, it will be his first TVING original work.

Director Lee Joon Ik will helm the series. Attention is drawn to how he will unravel an OTT TV series since he has always been a renowned film director. Screenwriters Kim Jeong Hoon, Oh Seung Hyeon, and Kim Seong Cheol will pen the script.

The film director Lee and Beyond Evil star Shin got their moment to shine their nights at the latest Baeksang Arts Awards. The film director won Grand Prize in Film with The Book of Fish, and the actor won the Best Leading Actor in TV with Beyond Evil.

Beyond The Memory is finalizing the casting process and will begin its production in the second half of this year.

Source (1)

—UPDATE—

https://zapzee.net/2021/08/26/han-ji-min-confirmed-to-star-in-director-lee-joon-iks-new-drama-beyond-the-memory/
Han Ji Min Confirmed to Star in Director Lee Joon Ik’s New Drama ‘Beyond The Memory’

by Munjeong Jung

CC40AF1F-F4CB-45E3-B70F-54C4C350C5A7.jpg

On August 26th, according to OSEN’s report, Han Ji Min has confirmed to star in director Lee Joon Ik’s first-ever drama series Beyond The Memory.

Beyond The Memory is a drama set in a future virtual city of the 2040s. The story centers around a man who lives in pain because he can’t move on from his wife, who died of cancer. One day, he receives a mail and chooses to reunite with her by traveling to Yonder under one crucial condition: leaving his own body.

In the drama, “Yonder” is a world where people can live forever without having to die. In a world where one can live forever without dying, the series will leave viewers to wonder about the meaning of eternal life, death, memory and oblivion, happiness and unhappiness.

Han Ji Min will play the main character’s wife, who went to heaven early due to an illness. Previously, director Lee Joon Ik has mentioned that he is planning to recreate the novel Goodbye Yonder into the drama series Beyond The Memory by tweaking its original plot. In addition, the film production Doodoong Pictures will present the series.

The new TVING drama Beyond The Memory will be available in 2022 as a TVING original series.

Source (1)
Translator Jung Munjeong: I’ll provide you with the latest articles regarding K-Drama, K-Pop, K-Movie and more as quickly as I can.

• 1 month later...

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065592104659692
Film director Lee Joon-ik's first drama to star Shin Ha-kyun and Han Ji-min

연합뉴스 / 2021-09-02 14:48:08

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Hodu Entertainment and BH Entertainment, shows (left) actor Shin Ha-kyun and actress Han Ji-min. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Sept. 2 (Yonhap) -- Actor Shin Ha-kyun and actress Han Ji-min will star in the original drama tentatively titled "Yonder," directed by Lee Joon-ik, according to online video service (OTT) Tving on Thursday. 

The drama follows the story of a man who receives a message from his dead wife and is invited to an unknown space called "Yonder," where he can meet her. As people face "Yonder," which is created by advanced science technology, the drama throws the question of life and death and what it means to have eternal happiness.

"Yonder" is expected to be director Lee Joon-ik's first work to enter an OTT platform entry and drama production. On top of director Lee, the production team of "The Book of Fish," "Anarchist from Colony," "Dongju: The Portrait of a Poet," "The Throne," and "The Swindlers" will participate as well. 

Shin will play Jae-hyun, a reporter from Science M who continues to live an empty life after his wife's death, while Han Ji-min plays Jae-hyun's dead wife and a member of "Yonder."

"I'm sure everyone has at least imagined a space like 'Yonder' and I look forward to showcasing it through my new character Jae-hyun. In particular, I'm excited to create a new world with director Lee Joon-ik," Shin said. 

"In the new world 'Yonder,' led by director Lee Joon-ik, I'm also looking forward to see how the happy moments of my life will be expressed in various ways," Han added. 

"I thought Shin Ha-kyun would be the perfect actor to express the inner feelings of Jae-hyun. I think we will be able to deeply convey the emotional change of 'Jae-hyun' when he is left in an extreme situation," director Lee said. "We are also looking forward to Han Ji-min's acting potential which will be shown through her character who has a wide range of emotions." 

The drama is scheduled to be released next year. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• 7 months later...

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065573173958914
Thriller movie 'Anchor' starring Chun Woo-hee presold in 14 overseas countries

연합뉴스 / 2022-04-04 09:32:10
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Kim Sun Min.)

p1065573173958914_173_thum.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS, shows the overseas poster of the movie "Anchor." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Apr. 4 (Yonhap) – S. Korean thriller movie “Anchor” starring Chun Woo-hee, Shin Ha-kyun, and Lee Hye-young has been pre-sold in 14 overseas countries, according to the distribution company ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS on Monday.  The film was sold in 14 countries, including Germany, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam, and it has confirmed its release in Thailand on Apr. 28 and Taiwan on May 13.

“Anchor” depicts the story of a star news anchor who receives a call signaling a murder and covers the incident herself to break a scoop.  It is director Jung Ji-yeon’s first feature film and it will be released in Korea on Apr. 20. (END)

Online press conference on March 28. Read=> https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065579189995208

p1065579189995208_286_thum.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS, shows Shin Ha-kyun(Left) and Chun Woo-hee(Right). (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

p1065579189995208_830_thum.jpg

▲ This photo, provided by ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS, shows Shin Ha-kyun(Left), director Jung Ji-yeon(Center), and Chun Woo-hee(Right). (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

=> Movie 'Anchor' depicts love and hatred relationship between mother and daughter
https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065590112307323

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/13/2021 at 11:53 PM, Helena said:

Director Lee Joon Ik will helm the series. Attention is drawn to how he will unravel an OTT TV series since he has always been a renowned film director. Screenwriters Kim Jeong Hoon, Oh Seung Hyeon, and Kim Seong Cheol will pen the script.
The film director Lee and Beyond Evil star Shin got their moment to shine their nights at the latest Baeksang Arts Awards. The film director won Grand Prize in Film with The Book of Fish, and the actor won the Best Leading Actor in TV with Beyond Evil.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220617000488
Director Lee Joon-ik to make small screen debut through Tving, Paramount+

Hit movie-maker is ‘excited and nervous’ to meet global viewers via a streaming platform

By Lee Si-jin (sj_lee@heraldcorp.com) | Jun 17, 2022

D4CCAB64-C8C6-4A99-B217-7FF0B8C59199.jpg
Director Lee Joon-ik speaks at a Paramount+ press conference held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Jongno-gu, central Soul, on Thursday. (Tving)

In response to the increasing popularity of streaming platforms, numerous top movie stars have crossed over to streaming services. Big-name film directors, including Lee Joon-ik, are no exception.

“I am feeling a mixed bag of emotions,” director Lee said during a Paramount+ press conference held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Jongno-gu, central Soul, on Thursday. “I am excited and nervous to present my series to viewers on a streaming platform for the first time.”

Lee, 62, confessed that he did not know that the series would be released on Parmount+ when creating “Yonder.”

“I am excited to share the series with global audiences and hope they can enjoy it,” the director added.

Jointly produced by two streaming platforms -- Tving and Parmount+ -- “Yonder” presents the story of a man who receives a mysterious message from his dead wife, inviting him to a place named Yonder.

Set in 2032, the series has a unique setting in which the dead can live on by uploading their memories on Yonder.

When asked about his decision to produce a series featuring the near future, Lee -- who is acclaimed as a master of period films such as “The King and the Clown” (2005), “The Throne” (2014) and “DongJu: The Portrait of a Poet” (2015) -- said that the two genres are not that different from each other.

“Period films feature things that do not exist in the present. You are working with your imagination when producing historical projects as well. Many people may think ‘Yonder’ is a new challenge for me, but I did not feel a huge difference,” Lee said.

06670B5E-6A96-4425-ABBC-E4A00862121E.jpg
Still images of “Yonder” (Tying)

The veteran director also shared his views about the increasing cultural power of Korean content.

“Our creative content industries have studied many strengths of foreign cultures and, for a long time, tried to follow them. But I think we have to concentrate on our own stories, not necessarily be conscious of a ‘global standard.’ Good content will always be respected by many people regardless of their cultural, geographical and ethnic backgrounds,” the director said.

The sci-fi series is scheduled to premiere in the second half of this year.

Though the series will be available on both platforms, Tving and Paramount+ have yet to decide whether “Yonder” will be released simultaneously.

• 1 year later...
by lo_ve, January 4, 2024
22 13

Shin Ha Kyun and Jin Goo will reportedly join hands in the upcoming tvN office K-drama Thank You.

On January 4, media outlets reported that brilliant actors Shin Ha Kyun and Jin Goo had been chosen to lead the upcoming office K-drama Thank You. 

Thank You will depict the story of a cold-headed audit team leader who works with a friendly new MZ generation auditor to investigate the corruption happening at their company. 

The upcoming K-drama will be the next work of director Kwon Young Il. He is known for creating the K-dramas Doom at Your Service, Search: WWW, and Suits. The script will be penned by Choi Min Ho. 

Shin Ha Kyun got the offer to play the role of Shin Cha Il, the audit team leader of JB E&C company. Meanwhile, Jin Goo will reportedly portray the role of the vice president of the JB E&C company.

Thank You will start its filming next month and according to reports, it will premiere in July. The upcoming K-drama will be part of tvN's Monday and Tuesday timeslot.

XdK1mx_2f.png

This will be the first upcoming K-drama of Shin Ha Kyun for the year. In 2023, the actor led the series Evilive with Kim Young Kwang, Shin Jae Ha, Bae Na Ra, Park Sang Won, and Choi Yoo Ha

Meanwhile, this will be the official comeback of Jin Goo to K-dramas after two years. Last year, he made a special appearance in the K-drama Shadow Detective Season 2. He will also cameo in the upcoming K-drama I'll Take the Trip for You

Jin Goo will also star in the upcoming film Re-Born together with Lee You Mi, Song Deok Ho, Kim Min Seok, Park Kyung Hye, Eum Moon Suk, and more.

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/shin-ha-kyun-and-jin-goo-will-reportedly-lead-a-new-office-k-drama

• 3 weeks later...
January 24 2024

Shin Ha-Kyun, Lee Jeong-Ha cast in tvN drama “Thank You”

Thank_You-SM1.jpeg

Shin Ha-Kyun, Lee Jeong-Ha, Jin Goo, & Jo A-Ram are cast in tvN drama series “Thank You” (literal title). The drama series features an original screenplay by Choi Min-Ho and will be directed by Kwon Young-Il (“Doom at Your Service“). Story for “Thank You” will revolve around the audit team for a large construction company. Shin Ha-Kyun will play Shin Cha-Il, who leads the audit team and Lee Jeong-Ha will play rookie auditor Goo Han-Soo.

“Thank You” will air sometime later this year in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Shin Cha-Il (Shin Ha-Kyun) begins work as the leader of the audit team at JU Construction, where corruption runs rampant. Shin Cha-Il doesn’t have faith in other people. He has a cool demeanor and carries out his work with sharp judgment and decisive action. The audit team also includes rookie employee Goo Han-Soo (Lee Jeong-Ha). He initially applied for the audit team as a stepping stone to get transferred to his company’s Florida branch, but his plan is not easy because of Shin Cha-Il. Unlike his boss, Goo Han-Soo is a nice and warm-hearted person. Working with Shin Cha-Il, Goo Han-Soo grows as an audit team member.

Meanwhile Hwang Dae-Woong (Jin Goo) is the vice president of JU Construction and he is third son of the company’s founder. His ambition is to become the president of the company, by beating his two older brothers for the position.

Yoon Seo-Jin (Jo A-Ram) is also a rookie employee on the audit team at JU Construction. She is an individualist who aims for success. She has a totally opposite personality from Goo Han-Soo. She has also known Vice President Hwang Dae-Woong since she was a child, but they pretend that they don’t know each other at work.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/shin-ha-kyun-lee-jeong-ha-cast-in-tvn-drama-thank-you

• 2 weeks later...

'Music Square' Joo Hyun-young "I want to act with Shin Ha-kyun and Kim Go-eun... I love them so much that I can't help but want to meet them."

https://thumbnews.nateimg.co.kr/view610///news.nateimg.co.kr/orgImg/st/2024/01/31/31_915220_49723.jpg

Actress Joo Hyun-young expressed her respect and affection for Shin Ha-kyun and Kim Go-eun. On KBS Cool FM's 'Lee Eun-young's Song Plaza' broadcast on the 31st, Joo Hyun-young and I participated in the 'Gagwang Invitational Seat' corner.

On this day's broadcast, Joo Hyun-young mentioned actor Shin Ha-gyun, saying, "There is a bit of an age difference, so it doesn't feel like a romantic comedy, but there is a senior I want to act with." Joo Hyun-young said, “I would like to meet senior Shin Ha-kyun just once (I want to act) because it’s okay to be a cousin, younger sister, daughter, or whatever.” She added, “I watched a drama called ‘Brain’ before, and for that work, (Shin Ha-kyun) won the grand prize. She also expressed her fanaticism by saying, “I cried profusely while watching that.”.

She chose Kim Go-eun as another actor she would like to act with. Joo Hyun-young confessed her intense affection, saying, “I like senior Go Eun so much that I can’t help but feel attached to her.”

https://news.nate.com/view/20240131n21494?mid=e1200