Shin Ha Kyun 신하균

Guest OreoVampire

SPOILERS ahead for those who haven’t seen “The Big Scene”

I’ve seen all of his films so far. I’m probably going to watch the new ones when they come it. “The Big Scene” is my favorite movie I also thought it had the best ending. I’ve watched it three times and I still don’t get why SHK was smiling at the end when they were talking about his sisters money. Anyone know?

Ya, that’s a tricky question, I’ve wondered about it myself. What was going on with him and his sister in the first place? Seemed like incest, but I could be wrong. At one point he said he had wanted them to be together in death, joined as one in the flames, so I assume his plan (such as it was) was to set himself on fire along with her.

The cheshire grin he gives at the end IS peculiar. Maybe it’s just that he’s a bit crazy? Another thought I had was that after he spent so much time at the police station—first getting grilled, then just kind of hanging out, getting media exposure for his role in the whole thing—after all that I wonder if he didn’t get a new perspective on things. He grieves that he didn’t get to kill his sister and die with her. Then grieves more when he understands what it means that she’s REALLY dead. Finally, he comes to the realization that he’s free of his obsession with her and in addition, he’s inherited a lot of money, so he smiles??

Guest a4sano

I thought he was just mad at his sister for dating that man. Ah, actually your right. You might not remember but right after the scene when he smiles they take us back to when he was arguing with his sister and he when he is just about to leave he goes back and starts kissing her. You can barely see it since they are showing it through the window. I might be over looking things but I think there are hidden clues about all the suspects that are hidden in the movie.

Its sort of funny that The Big Scene is suppose to be a comedy when it is a real serious movie.

Its sort of funny that The Big Scene is suppose to be a comedy when it is a real serious movie.

Really? I never took it as a comedy! However, I've noticed that the marketing for Korean films is often TOTALLY off! They'll have these posters and trailers that make it look like it's really goofy when it's a serious drama (the recent "Family Ties" is a good example) or they'll make the actress/actor pose really sexy on the cover when there's no sex or even romance in the movie at all!

Potential spoilers ahead :sweatingbullets:

08-24-2006

'No Mercy' Leaves Audience Hanging

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

ensor200608242028561no.jpg

Kim Min-jun, left, and Shin Ha-kyun in a scene from

"No Mercy for the Rude"

New domestic movie "No Mercy for the Rule" (Yeuiomnun Kotdul) is a story about a lonely professional killer, who decides to eliminate those who demonstrate disrespect and coarseness in their lives.

From the very beginning the black comedy twists familiar conventions used in typical action or gangster movies to create a peculiar sense of humor and jokes.

In the film, clumsy killers are far from "being cool" and things often get messy with silly and unexpected sequences.

But such funny little moments and interesting characters are loosely combined and the story spirals off without a specific direction. The result is that audiences can’t cope with the huge jump between early humor and a sudden tragic end.

Directed by Park Chul-hee and starring Shin Ha-gyun and Yun Ji-hye, the film revolves around a professional killer with a speech impediment (played by Shin), who is believed to be mute. The truth is he doesn't talk because of a silly sounding voice created by his short tongue.

ensor200608242028560nore.jpg

He chooses the job to earn enough money for an operation on his tongue so that he can talk like other people. He leads a lonely life with few contacts except for other "silly" killers.

When he is assigned to commit a brutal murder, the mute killer creates a rule. That rule is he will kill only impolite and rude people as the movie's Korean title "Yeuiomnun Kotdul" means "people without manners."

None of the characters in the film have names, and are known as "killer," "boss," "detective," "woman at a bar," etc.

But his seemingly peaceful life encounters unexpected guests, putting him in a dilemma.

An attractive yet strange woman at a bar where he often goes after murdering a victim and a homeless kid, whom he meets on a street, want to live with him.

He finds himself in real trouble as a crime gang chases him, seeking revenge for their boss, whom he murdered.

The film begins with the promise that this is not a conventional movie. It hints that it will deliver a message on corruption through the eyes of the killer with its black humor. It is somewhat successful in its aim to be unconventional. But it is hard for audiences to follow the development of the story as each sequence is fragmented and lacking connection with the tragic end.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...17251710970.htm

Thanks for being sensitive to spoilers, Rubie! I sometimes wonder if reviewers purposefully give away the ending to try and drive viewers away from certain films! These days even HINTING that there's a big twist at the end of say, a horror film, makes people think of "Sixth Sense" so they are distracted throughout the film, looking for signs of what the twist will be! The review above doesn't exactly ruin the ending, but it does tell you more than you need to know! I'm starting to understand why some of my friends never read reviews! HAHA!

A lot of people didn't like "The Big Scene", but I loved it, so I won't be scared off of seeing this one!

Hi a4sano! :)

Rubie thanks for the article!! Yes..HaKyun is an unlikely sexycool Killar :P

I watched The Big Scene (Cha Seung Won looks hotter each time i watch it..) again. And Dongmakgol after that..wow..i agree with mj tho'..he actually looked handsome.. :P ..

Hehe..look what i found..

hair1.gif

After he made his freaked out cult movie, SAVE THE GREEN PLANET, about invading space armadas, paranoid schizophrenia, drug addiction, tightrope walkers and kidnapping, director Jang Jun-Hwan and star Shin Ha-Kyun (SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE, WELCOME TO DONGMAKGOL) collaborated on a short film just as intense, just as visually accomplished, and just as likely to change the way you see the world. It's name? HAIR. The powerful truth that it reveals? That you must have chest hair! You have to have it! Without chest hair you are a worm man! Nude! Pink! Smooth and disgusting!

If you do not have chest hair you must die. And in HAIR, one man is on a suicide mission to get chest hair, lots of chest hair, so much chest hair that it looks like a dog is asleep between his boobs, and if he can't have a Chewbacca chest…then give him death !

Subtitled by director Jang Jun-Hwan just for this festival, you will never see HAIR anywhere else in the world. Ever.

ahha! OMG, that's so hilarious! So, it's a short film? No wonder I haven't seen much about it. What film fest was it subtitled for?

Guest a4sano

Has anyone seen "No Comment"? I think it was one of SHK first movies. Its a bunch a short movies put together(he's in all of them) It also stars Ryoo Seung Beum

Has anyone seen "No Comment"? I think it was one of SHK first movies. Its a bunch a short movies put together(he's in all of them) It also stars Ryoo Seung Beum

I haven't seen it, but there's a review on koreanfilm.org (from whatever year it was released). Doesn't sound like it was all that good, sadly, despite the cast!

I love SHK, but not all of his movies are gems!

Guest a4sano

I liked it a lot. I thought was very creative and all of the short movies were pretty funny. I really don't listen to the reviews on koreanfilm.org

Low Life is one of my favorite movies but they didn't give a good review on it. Same with Peppermint Candy...

Hmm..now i am looking for the english subbed 'A Good Person/Man' his drama with Jo HanSun .

And 'No Comment' i Have not seen that one yet.

ok..one earthman n alien..during STGP promo.. :)

greenplanet01.jpg

greenplanet02.jpg

wow, his hair is just out of control sometimes, isn't is? I love that last photo, it's very creative in a way!

re: No Comment, it doesn't seem to be available at YesAsia! Oh well!

Hahaha..he's just as weird-looking sometimes..

Or..most of the time.. :P ..

Yes..No Comment is currently out of stock and so is STGP..

Hahaha..he's just as weird-looking sometimes..

Or..most of the time.. :P ..

Yes..No Comment is currently out of stock and so is STGP..

ahha! I agree! wonder what his secret is? sometimes he looks really good, sometimes very weird, but I still like him! AHHA!

ahha! I agree! wonder what his secret is? sometimes he looks really good, sometimes very weird, but I still like him! AHHA!

Exactly..i mean my list of favourite men (er..Korean men..) is long and they're all tall..dark and deadly gorgeous..except for Shin HaKyun..he's in between them.. :D ..I especially like him (HAkyun) in tortured sad scenes..i long for those eyes..........i am getting weird.. :blink: .. :rolleyes:

Exactly..i mean my list of favourite men (er..Korean men..) is long and they're all tall..dark and deadly gorgeous..except for Shin HaKyun..he's in between them.. :D ..I especially like him (HAkyun) in tortured sad scenes..i long for those eyes..........i am getting weird.. :blink: .. :rolleyes:

getting weird? I think maybe you already were! At least you know you're not alone!

I think next up on my list of movies to re-watch should be JSA! I barely remember SHK in it, it's been so long!

JSA? Someone mentioned JSA? :rolleyes:

No Mercy for the Rude

temp_200682313382_main.jpg

Title

No Mercy for the Rude / YE-UI-UP-NUN-GUT-DEUL

Release date

August 24, 2006

Keyword

Comedy, Action

Director

PARK Chul-hee

Exec.Producer

HWANG Woo-hyun

Production Budget

S$ 3.5 million

Synopsis

His name is Killa. Growing up as an orphan, he had been teased so much for being a lisper that he decided not to talk at all until getting a surgery that would make him talk clearly.

Living all by himself, he spends his time doing only two things; watching bullfights on TV and eating seafood. He sometimes writes poetry and spends most of his time daydreaming about becoming a matador to fight face to face with a bull.

In order to earn money for the surgery, he chose to become a killer. However, he has his own rule; kill only those with scary faces or with bad manners. Everything seems fine until his boss shows him a picture. The last prey he has to kill is the one who he has never expected to kill.

More at http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/films/feature_...p?films_num=365

temp_200682313382_7.jpg

:huh: ya, rubie, is that the magic word??? :unsure:

Definitely magical!!..One of my favourite k/movie too!!

Awesome actors Lee Byung Hun and Song Kang Ho..