Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Joanne <3

How much to spend on keeping up appearances?

Guest Joanne <3

An article.
Source: http://money.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?blogentryid=633611

How much to spend on keeping up appearances?

14/04/2010 4:58:00 PM, Joanna Townsend

Young women can spend a fortune on cosmetics, clothes and treatments all to project the illusion of success. But how much is too much?

I was at a Thai restaurant with some girlfriends on Saturday night when we started talking about getting our hair permanently straightened. My friend Kate had just had it done in the city, at a “bargain” of a place ... for 300 bucks.

Kate’s started getting her manicure and pedicure there too, because they do it a little cheaper than her ordinary beautician - although she still confesses to a mani-pedi habit that costs her around $800 a year. She gets a spray tan once a month or so for special occasions like the races or a wedding for $40, gets her legs waxed and her eyebrows shaped, her hair highlighted, wears nice jewellery, gorgeous perfume, looks after her skin, has a typical girl’s makeup stash, has a couple of good handbags, and is eyeing off a pair of boots for winter - and wondering if she can afford them at just under $300.

Thing is, Kate’s not an unusual for a city girl, and she’s certainly not overly primped and preened. She likes the latest fashions but she doesn’t wear designer head-to-toe. She’s never had botox or an expensive spa treatment like most of the girls we know, and she gets the bus to work.

Kate and I gave up somewhere around the green curry working out how much she spends each year on looking pretty much the same as every other woman working in her office, at a law firm in the CBD. Kate joked that every time she gets a pay rise, there’s another new piece of essential ‘upkeep’ that’s conspiring to keep her broke, and a long way from putting a deposit down on a unit - something she’s been trying to save for since she graduated six years ago.

Thing is, I think Kate’s drama is a common one. We’re now expected to spend so much looking good, that we almost have to work to keep up the illusion that we’re successful. Because now, success has a ‘look’. And it’s an expensive one.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. Just give up on all the expensive trendy beauty and fashion trappings, girls, and save the spoils? You’re just copying Hollywood, Kate, surely professional city girls here don’t have to spend a small fortune to simply keep up appearances? You might be half right, but the awful truth is that there’s an enormous amount of money per year that goes into keeping women looking good enough for them to feel confident and secure in their workplace. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying that it has never been more expensive to be a professional woman in this town.

It’s no wonder men are more likely to own property younger. And die with more money. They’re not dropping $150 every time they see their hairdresser.

How much of your income do you spend on your looks? Do you feel under pressure to keep up with appearances?

Sadly, I find myself too alike to the 'Kate' in this hypothetical situation. Nothing makes me feel better than shopping for beauty/fashion products... sigh, guilty pleasure.

Guest AngelSoCutie

How much of your income do you spend on your looks? Do you feel under pressure to keep up with appearances?

Sadly, I find myself too alike to the 'Kate' in this hypothetical situation. Nothing makes me feel better than shopping for beauty/fashion products... sigh, guilty pleasure.

Lol i agree =X Well I don't a lot of pressure, but I do notice that if I look nice more people pay attention to me and job places are more likely to hire me. It might seem shallow, but it really isn't. It is just how society for the most part works. As long as you don't focus on only the superficial it is okay ^_^

Like I went to the post office a couple days ago and did a test. I wore no makeup and wore my glasses and when I walked there no one paid attention to me except these guys who were actually making fun of me lol didn't think I could hear >_> Then the next day I dressed nice and wore makeup and not my glasses and my boyfriend walked with me to town which is the same route and the same guys were like eyeing me (which is totally eww) but it is better than people making fun of me =O

But I don't spend as much as the girl in the article ^_^

Guest lyto

oh gender divide and expectations ... It reminds me slightly of this article...simply because of the last statement.

Guest prettyLOVEE

More than pressure, I feel it as a need. If I'm not having a good day appearance wise, I really feel down.. completely alters my mood.. i'd say about at least half my income goes towards looks-wise

Guest WhiteRabbitsTime

I don't spend a lot on my appearance.

I bargain shop ^___^

Guest yukinohana

well i dye my hair maybe like 3 times a year ( i used to not at all.)

occasional medi/pedi ( like a few times a year)

usual stash of cosmetics

i dont do any spray tanning or stuff like that.

but i probably do spend a lot fashion wise

its all little things and it adds up.

hey, guys have video games, hardware tools, and electronics to indulge in, and we girls have everything related to our appearances to indulge in. It balances out :P And honestly, it is important for women to be vigilant about their appearances, especially in the workplace.

Although I've never thought about how much I spend on fashion and beauty related products within a year. I really should figure that out sometime....it'd probably help with my budgeting. hahaha.

Guest Lummox

Most of my income goes to food. Otherwise clothes, shoes, bags, nail polish, make up. I don't spend too much. I think I spend like $200 a month give or take.

Guest kimmi.kami

After reading this thread, I realize I spend A LOT of money on my appearance.

Clothes, make up, hair ... and I was planning to go buy a hairdye tomorrow to dye my hair...

>___<

Guest tinatran_

Lol i agree =X Well I don't a lot of pressure, but I do notice that if I look nice more people pay attention to me and job places are more likely to hire me. It might seem shallow, but it really isn't. It is just how society for the most part works. As long as you don't focus on only the superficial it is okay ^_^

Like I went to the post office a couple days ago and did a test. I wore no makeup and wore my glasses and when I walked there no one paid attention to me except these guys who were actually making fun of me lol didn't think I could hear >_> Then the next day I dressed nice and wore makeup and not my glasses and my boyfriend walked with me to town which is the same route and the same guys were like eyeing me (which is totally eww) but it is better than people making fun of me =O

But I don't spend as much as the girl in the article ^_^

on the Tyra show, they did an experiment to see if an attractive+unexperienced woman VS. an average joe with tons of work experience would be more likely to get a job/hired. in the end, the attractive lady got hired even though she has never worked in her life while the average-joe had experience as a job accountant, cashier and etc.. O__O

as for my spending, i try not to spend. everytime i shop, i try buying things that can be worn/used many times and worn in different styles before tears or the color fades. i don't use makeup, next to the occasional eyeliner.

I keep a $100 spending limit on myself per month for beauty products.

...I should tell that to the girl that keeps on trying to sell me masks/moisturizers/BBcreams/sunscreens in pmall. :huh:

Guest megan92

i don't dye my hair or get mani/pedis but i (or rather, my parents =x) do spend quite a bit on clothes and makeup.

i kinda relate to this: "Kate joked that every time she gets a pay rise, there’s another new piece of essential ‘upkeep’ that’s conspiring to keep her broke"

i can totally see myself finding more things i "need" as i get more money.

Guest ilubusomach

That last statement is really dumb. "And die w/ more money"?? Who the hell cares by that time.

i don't see anything wrong w/ spending a lot for your appearance, but just as long as it doesn't completely consume you as a person, and as long as the person realizes that you are not what you wear.

Guest eternaldarkness4

i spend near nothing

cept for tooth paste soap and shampoo =]

occasional nailpolish though = 0 =

and clothes <.<

then again i dont have skin problems

my hair is straight

and i dont want too look tanned

and i find perfume suffocating

and i like my black hair

Honestly I wouldn't be able to spend that much.

I spend my money on occasional clothes and makeup but it's not even close to the amount the article was talking about.

I have a 60 dollars limit lol.

Guest squishybear

Off topic, but was that article really posted on Msn.com without being proofread?? I'm just asking because that is one poorly written article. It was annoying to read "Kate's" instead of 'Kate is' or 'Kate has'.

Guest lunastelle

now that i think of it i sort of do spend a lot clothing wise. /:

it's mainly just that and makeup. i've never gotten a spray tan or a mani/pedi D:

Guest kikkie

Off topic, but was that article really posted on Msn.com without being proofread?? I'm just asking because that is one poorly written article. It was annoying to read "Kate's" instead of 'Kate is' or 'Kate has'.

This is a section written by a columnist. Not a news article. It's supposed to be informal.

Girls do have a lot of stuff to buy. $50 a month is my limit I made for myself. And even then, I try not to spend at all some months. After all, my parents pay for my college and next year, my sister's college too.

Some people spend more on appearances, some less. It depends on what priorities they have.

Guest squishybear

This is a section written by a columnist. Not a news article. It's supposed to be informal.

I agree it's informal, but formality refers to the tone of the piece. All published pieces regardless of where they are written should attempt be at least remotely grammatically correct. It's an interesting article, but it would be a lot better if she fixes her grammar errors and expands on the ideas.