嚴爵 Yen-j

Guest keeptryin'

Guest keeptryin'

TW new talented singer/songwriter

YEN-J

嚴爵

15145219480623374175738x.jpg

Singer, songwriter, composer, producer, arranger, instrument player, dreamer.

Learned to play piano at age 10.

Named himself "Yen-j" because of his love for jazz music.

In summer 2008, the 20-year-old, Los Angeles-born Yen-j sent his demo tape to record labels in Taiwan.

Now signed with Bin Music.

His official blog

Facebook page

Works:

Composed Fish Leong "Mei you ru guo"

Arranged Ding Dang "Firework "丁噹 〈花火> (i think that's how you translate her name in english....)

SET 2009 drama "My Queen" score

SET 2009 drama "Autumn's Concerto, 下一站,幸福 " score

cr: his facebook page

MVs:

(it's not really a legit mv, but it's on binmusictaipei yt so...)

Various Clips:

l_p1022520153.jpg

His debut album "Thanks Your Greatness" is releasing on April 29, 2010!

Guest heartdrops

WOW, no idea he composed Autumn's Concerto, 下一站,幸福 " score!

I started noticing him after seeing him i the bts of PS Man. He's talented indeed.

Guest black_wings

I just discovered this guy and he's one amazing artist. Very talented and uniqe, I love how he incorperates jazz into his music

&& it's not bad either that he's cute XD

I'm currently obsessed with his Wo Xi Huan song from PS Man lOl

Guest tian`tian

Wow.

I love his music!! It's got such a unique flow to it. Definitely going to be checking out his CD when it comes out!

Guest itrayya

i love talents like this!

great talents like Xiao Yu :)

sounds great.

i got myself a new musician to be addicted to.

Guest karinwaikiki

me tooo...i start to notice him during the PS Man drama....then i look the net and found about him...he's really talented....i hope he keep it up! really anticipating a lot from him... love his debut album too...gonna buy it soon.... :D

Guest toGETherONE

I'm liking his stuff and I suppose PS Man really gave him a boost of exposure. I even d/l the song demo "Wo Xi Huan" ['cos it's simple and pure] debut on PS Man off his blog. He's getting busy enough to roar a mention in "Complete Entertainment" show nowadays in TW. Good luck to Yan Jue, a true musician!

• 1 month later...
Guest keeptryin'

Xiao S, Wang Lee Hom recommend “The Most Hardworking Newcomer”: Yen-J

After releasing his debut album Thanks for Your Greatness, Yen-J accomplished much success. Not only did he beat out “heavenly kings and queens” to take the KKBox’s "Most Played Album" spot, Yen-J also took #4 on HIT fm’s global music chart. Many Taiwanese artistes including Xiao S, Wang Lee Hom, Blackie Chen, DJ Xiao Shu have also recommended Yen-J’s music to fans on their Facebook pages and blogs.

To have received praise from Wang Lee Hom and Xiao S as Cpop’s “shining newcomer”, Yen-J was both surprised and overjoyed. As Wang Lee Hom was his idol, Yen-J said he was so happy that he couldn’t even sleep. And thanks to these artistes’ suggestions, fans from all over have come to hear Yen-J’s voice. In an instant, the number of visitors to both his blog and Facebook has increased rapidly. It is quite amazing to see 10,000 hits grow into over 1,300,000 hits.

Before Yen-J debuted, he worked hard at keeping his blog and Facebook updated continuously. Although he is still currently busy with his promotions, he still finds the time to regularly share his thoughts and feelings with fans. Once, Yen-J came into work with his eyelids fully swollen. The staff then found out that he had spent the entire time until 6 am replying to each and every fan who had commented on his blog post. Not only were fans were deeply touched, the staff said that they had never seen such a hard-working artist.

Everyday, Yen-J keeps a tradition of saying “Good night” to his fans on Facebook. His humble attitude has been complimented by many fans. Recently, Yen-J revealed on his Facebook page that he had lost his subway transit pass. He didn’t think that the very next day, his company received over 40 transit passes in the mail from fans. Staff joked that these were actually the “snowflake versions of the transit passes”.

Due to his increasing popularity., many commercial brands have invited Yen-J to endorse their products As for campus performances, he literally has one event every day. Staff worried that his busy schedule will affect Yen-J’s time for songwriting and sleep. However, Yen-J stated that although he is busy with work, songwriting is his way to relieve stress. He only needs to return to his world of music in order to forget all his troubles.

At the moment, Yen-J has already given songs for his 2nd album to his record company. This greatly surprised his company and manager. Having such an impressive newcomer under their belt, the entire staff will not relax. Look forward to another extraordinary performance by Yen-J! 

Source: Epoch Times

Translations: minchong92 @ AsianFanatics

Guest Ally_Li

He's a genius.

I watched him some time ago on 娱乐百分百 (which translates roughly as "Entertainment 100%"). This is a Taiwanese entertainment programme which interviews celebrities. Usually, Show Luo Zhi Xiang hosts it, but only his co-host 小鬼 (Alien Huang Hong Sheng) was on this episode, together with guest host 蝴蝶姐姐 (whose name translates as "Sister Butterfly"). For this episode, they introduced four newcomers on the Taiwan scene.

They held a little competition on the programme; each newcomer would sing a song and perform a special item. The winner, picked by the 2 hosts, would get interviewed on air and they would have a chance to talk about themselves, etc.

I didn't know his name then, but 嚴爵 Yen-j was the fourth competitor. I was really struck by him when I saw him. He's got a very remarkable way of carrying himself; assured, cool and completely at ease with the world. Some might call it smug, though. I just found it surprising that a man of 22 could be so comfortable in his own skin. I watched him carefully throughout the show and was completely stunned when he performed.

He played on the keyboard, beatboxed and sang. His performance was beyond outstanding. His compositions were exquisite and absolutely unique; his beatboxing was amazing. I was astounded.

One more thing: there is a distinction between someone who is a complete master of the instruments he plays -- and someone like 嚴爵 Yen-j, who played the keyboard as if it was his lover. And the keyboard behaved as if 嚴爵 Yen-j was its lover. It loved him right back.

嚴爵 Yen-j and music are lovers... and theirs is a love that we can only dream of. We are privileged to witness the fruit of that love.

[For your additional information: the first competitor was Nicky Chou, who's also making waves on the Taiwanese entertainment scene. The second was a Miss Deng, from Hong Kong. She has a gorgeous voice -- 嚴爵 Yen-j praised her voice: "At last, Asia has a voice that's like that of Alicia Keys." She's only eighteen; after hearing her and hearing what 嚴爵 Yen-j said, I had a sudden dream: maybe he can write songs for her!!! They'd be fabulous together!!! The third competitor was a Miss Jiang, who was dressed casually in shirt and pants; her voice is lovely, too. It's so comforting and warm and lush. 嚴爵 Yen-j said on the programme that he had heard her sing at a competition before.]

Guest keeptryin'

^ Yeah I watched that. I thought Yen-J was better than Nicky but it was a different style of music. I thought the girl from HK is GEM Tang.

I think his songs are good and he has a nice voice. He definitely has potential. I was wondering though, it says he was born in LA? Does that mean he speaks fluent English? Why is his blog completely in Chinese though?

^He's not debuting in US and since his career is in Taiwan, of course it must appeal to his target audience. Not all Taiwanese people understands English. Not all ABC(American born chinese) will mix chinese with english together..

I think this guy is great especially when he's playing the jazz piano. He looks so shy when he's on variety shows but full of confidence when he's playing his instruments. I love his looks and 愛是咖喱, it's fun. He look like a korean actor which i can't pin point but he's good looking definitely.

Guest heartdrops

^He's not debuting in US and since his career is in Taiwan, of course it must appeal to his target audience. Not all Taiwanese people understands English. Not all ABC(American born chinese) will mix chinese with english together..

I think this guy is great especially when he's playing the jazz piano. He looks so shy when he's on variety shows but full of confidence when he's playing his instruments. I love his looks and 愛是咖喱, it's fun. He look like a korean actor which i can't pin point but he's good looking definitely.

Yes exactly! I love it when he gets jazzy on the piano. It's amazing! Usually I'm not a big fan of jazz but just watching him play the jazz piano makes me admire him so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest littlemisssunsunshine

YAY he has his own thread! :lol:

he's my new favourite artist.. cant stop listening to 謝謝你的美好!

Guest littlemisssunsunshine

yen-j guests on a show singing live & answering questions:

part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BoAfFezzQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=QKyGSgRCRSU

part2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ847N0Amjo&feature=related

part3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtNiX4_pL8&feature=related

part4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NWZrG-xRQ&feature=related

part5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSvLPqXye64&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KiiMochi

this kid is brilliant! He's got this heavy foreign flavour in his songs. I didn't get caught the first listen but after a few listen, his songs became addicting.

And he's absolutely adorable!

Can't wait to hear more from him, his album was a blast, every song was well produced and showed his strong music style!

Love this kid!

Archived