Looking shorter then your actual height.

Guest dancingbymyself

Guest dancingbymyself

So i'm a pretty tall guy (184cm/just under 6'1"), but for some reason I constanly get mistaken for being alot shorter then I am.

It's not like i'm just thinking i'm tall, when im really not, because 184cm is the height the doctor gave me at my last appointment. If I ask people my height, they usually say i'm around 175cm/5'9". I don't really slouch that much either, and even if I was a sloucher, 9cm is alot to slouch....

My friend said it was probably one of two reasons

1. Short legs.

2. The fact that i'm skinny. (But I thought this would make me look taller?)

Do you guys have any ideas about this odd phenomena? Or similar stories?

Guest MeiHearts

hmm that has happened before with people that i notice.. maybe it does have a lot to do w/ the legs... cos short legs means you have a longer torso and that would make someone look shorter i think.

i also have this problem (tho i'm short anyway :( ) but that's mainly due to slouching :(

Guest Lavendere

Maybe the way you dress is giving off that impression. Like if you wear a long t-shirt it'll make it look like you have shorter legs.

Guest cm.ly

The way I see it...

< 6'0", on the bigger side = You look shorter.

< 6'0", on the skinnier side = You look taller.

> 6'0", on the bigger side = You look like a giant.

> 6'0", on the skinnier side = You look shorter.

There are a lot of things that give the illusion of being short and tall:

Short legs make people seem shorter, but not always. If the ratio ain't so bad, you can actually look taller (especially if you have a long torso; people with short torsos and super long legs can look shorter, as well).

Having a big face and/or a short neck can also make you seem shorter. Long hair makes you seem short, too (because it hides your neck). But since you are a guy, I will assume this isn't the case.

The type of clothing you wear - Baggy clothes make you seem shorter. Extremely tight clothing can also make you seem shorter. You have to find that balance (that best suits you) between the two extremes. Wearing light colors don't do you good, either. Those fat shoes (skater shoes) or high-tops like Dunks and Creative Recs make your legs seem shorter, too.

Guest J0hnny

short legs it must be

it's like in the MV genie

i thought the SNSD girls were all like 170+

but then its cuz of long legs for some from the short pants haha

perhaps try short pants =)

Guest kinella

Maybe the way you dress is giving off that impression. Like if you wear a long t-shirt it'll make it look like you have shorter legs.

yep, what she (uh?) said.

the clothes you wear can make you look shorter. do you, perhaps, wear oversized trousers/tshirts? that style makes people look like they are squared boxes.

try with fits/kinny jeans and fit shirts that don't cover half of your legs *thumbs up*

Guest hwaiting

I have the same problem too.

Considering my height, I look at least 10CM shorter. It's because I'm pretty chubby and I have stubby legs. *sigh!

Guest xWeeeAmandaa

YES! A whole bunch of my friends tend to look shorter than they really are. Idk why, but I think its because if I see them by them self, then it'll seem like they're a short person. I also know a lot of people that seem taller than they really are. Some people say I look taller than I am. Idk if that's a good thing or not :o

Guest ninyaah

I give off the opposite impression. I'm short, but when they ask about my height, they get surprised because I'm not actually as tall as they think.

Guest _ATELIER

i look taller than my actual height, i'm 5'2 and people think i'm atleast 5'4.

i wear short shorts/heels and try to look tall though haha, would never wear things like capris,

so i would think it's based on how you dress.

Guest milkychew

^^^

lol i don't think the tights things applies to him. hopefully :P

i actually find that people with a longer torso, despite the length of their legs, always look taller to me, whereas people with a short torso look shorter. what is your leg to torso ratio?

Guest Hemera

scanning through the posts...i've never met anyone with a long torso and short legs look taller than they actually are (only maybe when they're sitting down).

like what someone else said...it can be

- your head/face is too big or long for your body

- the way you dress

- slouching

Guest lil_miss_kawaii

I have very odd body proportions ~ long body, but i have stupidly short legs -__-" but thing is i dont really get told i look shorter than i am

I think it just depends

Usually people who look taller are either::

- long legged

- slim

- average to small body/fat structure ... if that make sense

cos have a mixture of slim and stumpy legs i dont get mistaken ~ guess it balances it out :P

if yo have stumpy legs then you will probably look smaller etc ~

Also, the clothes you wear make a diff ~ if you were leggins that cut you off, you will appear shorter but if you wear shorts it will make you look taller because your exentuating more of your leg (look at SNSD ~ they are all short with short legs but look tall in Genie because of those hot pants!!!)

hope this made sense -_-"

Guest ai.s2

body proportions really affects how tall you look,

if your torso was way longer than your legs it makes you look shorter,

and of course the way you dress can give off diff illusions by emphasizing certain body parts,

Guest LibraZebra

Probably just proportions of clothing or body. Also, this might not apply to you, but personally I'm 5'6" and have trouble really telling any tall guy's height. Like, I probably have no chance of guessing a height over 6' haha. It's difficult to guess when you can't see how high up there are >_>

Guest peppermintsugar

I give off the opposite impression. I'm short, but when they ask about my height, they get surprised because I'm not actually as tall as they think.

Haha, same here. I have pretty long, skinny legs for only being 5'4", so in photographs and stuff I tend to look taller than I am.

Guest GingitsuneSpirit

one problem i see with my friends is that they don't stand up straight. I always thought a friend of mine was less than 5 feet tall, turns out when she stands up straight she's almost as tall as I am (i'm 5'2). Also yea short legs makes you look shorter. also how you present yourself. if you're more confident people tend to think you're taller.

Archived