Stephenie Meyer's ideal cast for TWILIGHT´s Vampires

Guest massive toene

Guest massive toene

Check out her choice of actors & actresses!
Stephenie Meyer's ideal cast for TWILIGHT

Source: indiemoviesonline.com

According to IMDb, Stephenie Meyer had chosen in advance her ideal cast for the movie adaptation of her wildly successful vampires-in-love novel, Twilight. Read on to check out the side-by-side shots of Ms Meyer’s own choices and the actors who ended up with these plum roles.

EDWARD

edward.jpg

In the film: Robert Pattinson

Meyer’s first choice: Henry Cavill

It has to be hard to fill the role of Edward. The novel repeatedly describes him as impossibly handsome, beautiful and godlike. And everyone has their own idea of what godlike beauty should be.

Henry Cavill was apparently approached, but by the time filming started he was 25 and could no longer pass for 17. He was then offered Carlisle’s role, which he refused because of filming commitments to The Tudors. This fan is particularly glad because even though Robert Pattinson isn’t exactly godlike in my book, he does have a very vampiric, angular face and looks the part, even if he doesn’t smell it. (Rumours that Pattinson has a personal hygiene issue have been overstated, according to the actor, who claims that his nervous ramblings in interviews were the original source – but then he would, wouldn’t he?)

Nonetheless, Catherine Hardwick must have seen something in him: over 5,000 people auditioned for the role of Edward. Judging from the fan response, she got this bit of casting spot-on.

BELLA

bella.jpg

In the film: Kristen Stewart

Meyer’s first choice: Emily Browning

Meyer’s choice strikes me as a little bit strange. On her FAQ page she gives a very (very, very) detailed description of her heroine:

“Bella is very fair-skinned, with long, straight, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. Her face is heart-shaped – a wide forehead with a widow's peak, large, wide-spaced eyes, prominent cheekbones, and then a thin nose and a narrow jaw with a pointed chin. Her lips are a little out of proportion, a bit too full for her jawline. Her eyebrows are darker than her hair and more straight than they are arched. She's five foot four inches tall, slender but not at all muscular, and weighs about 115 pounds.”

I don’t see Emily Browning in that description at all. Okay, she has the full lips, but nothing else seems to fit, and she’s too instantly, strikingly good-looking. I like Kristen Stewert as Bella. She is pretty but not extraordinary, which is what the plot requires Bella to be – even if she does have to wear contacts to hide her naturally green eyes.

CARLISLE

carlisle.jpg

In the film: Peter Facinelli

Meyer’s first choice: Charlie Hunnam

Carlisle is a difficult one for me. I’m not really keen on either choice. His description in the book is merely that he looks like a model and, let’s face it, it’s not too hard to fill that criterion in Hollywood.

If I had to choose between the two – purely from the books’ description – I would have to go with Charlie Hunnam, simply because he is the younger of the two and Carlisle is supposed to appear to be 23. But for the success of the film, I would have plumped for Facinelli. Carlisle is a father-figure, though he does not look it.

This contradiction is easy to get across on the page but it’s slightly more difficult onscreen when two actors of the same age are trying to create that dynamic – Facinelli works better.

ESME

esme.jpg

In the film: Elizabeth Reaser

Meyer’s first choice: Mary-Louise Parker

Elizabeth Reaser or Mary-Louise Parker for Esme? Esme is a bit of a ho-hum background character in the books, so I wasn’t really very interested in who got the role. But I think my argument for Carlisle would hold. Parker is more true to the book, but Reaser is more motherly – so she gets my vote.

ALICE

alice.jpg

In the film: Ashley Greene

Meyer’s first choice: Rachael Lee Cook

The best portrayal of any of the characters in Twilight for me is Alice. I just love her! Admittedly, when I first saw pictures of Ashley Greene with long hair I did throw a mini tantrum, but when I saw her in character I took it all back: she’s perfect.

Rachael Leigh Cook has a similar pixie-ish quality to her, but I’m not convinced she’d pull off the pale vampire look quite so well.

JASPER

jasper.jpg

In the film: Jackson Rathbone

Meyer’s choice: Trent Ford

When I saw Jackson Rathbone I was quite impressed with the choice for Jasper. That is, before they ‘vamped’ him up. They made him look a little too scary; he’s pale, blonde and when he’s wearing those topaz coloured contacts, his head looks alarmingly all the same colour.

But Meyer’s choice was Trent Ford who I think would fit in better with the La Push wolf pack.

ROSALIE

In the film: Nikki Reed

Meyer’s first choice: Olivia Wilde

Both choices for Rosalie are good: they’re both very pretty, which is largely what the role demands. Nikki Reed, in my opinion is the better of the two because she looks younger. But as with Jasper, they also made her hair, skin and eyes the same colour, which makes her look a little flat. Interesting fact: it took the stylists 36 hours to turn Nikki Reed’s naturally brown hair blond, and it was so over-coloured that by the end it was falling out in clumps. Perhaps they should have used a wig from the start.

EMMETTT

emmett.jpg

In the film: Kellen Lutz

Meyer’s first choice: Tom Welling

Emmett, in my mind, was the easiest to picture and I wasn’t disappointed. Kellen Lutz is burly enough to fill Emmett’s boots. But I do wonder how, what, where and why Meyer thought of Tom Welling.

Perhaps it’s because I can’t picture him as anything but Smallville’s Superman, but he’s too square-jawed and not nearly bulky enough, which is Emmett's key feature.

tumblr_ksi80ynZRY1qzqwqw.jpg

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF STEPHENIE MEYER´S IDEAL CAST?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL @ the hygiene comment, seriously I feel like I can smell his grease from my screen. ;O

But I agree Alice was the best character...and her ideal Bella is too pretty....ierno, I feel that in this movie I like the less dominant characters more than the main. I liked Carlisle, Emmett, Alice, Esme, Rosalie and Jasper in the movie, but hated the main three...IMO, Bella looks like a great Bella if only she could act...I said IMO so don't bash.

I reckon Olivia Wilde would have been a better choice. She's gorgeous and I think she can pull of the vamp pale look much more than Nikki Reed (Who is gorgeous naturally tanned, not pale and blonde). The others I'm quite content with the results.

Guest KuYA II

^

i agree. She has the "model" look or so that was described in the book. I think meyer's choice of edward is rather good. Probably close to what i imagine in the book.

I still think Emily rossum would've made a good Bella. (my opinion)

I was suprise i didn;'t see her mention Jacob, but if she did, i knew she would've picked Steven strait

Guest duckbutt'

Damnnn, Olivia Wilde would have made a much hotter Rosalie. >.<

I like the Edward she picked. I would have actually liked the movie if he

was in it. rofls. I like the bella she picked too. But Alice is already good.

Bleh, just wished the movies had better actors. Then maybe I would have enjoyed it. -.-

Guest RYUUSEi

I thought Gaspard Ulliel was Stephanie's first choice? :o

Gaspard would have certainly fit the "godlike beauty" of Edward (unlike the current actor).

Guest kalliy*10

^ Mmm. i agree with you

Gaspard Ulliel, oh my i would just die : )

when i read the book(s) i thought of Emily Browning as Bella.

i would L O V E the movies if she was Bella.

Ok not gonna lie

Henry Cavill as vampire?!?! OMG YES PLEASE <3333

he would be a hot vampire and he's a very good actor too

i actually have to agree with most ppl

that the chemistry between Rob and Kristen kinda off in the movie (yet it's burning like fire off screen lol that's why i like them more off screen)

when i saw the film it made me cringe and embarrass >.< lol

the lines and else so cheesy and their acting kinda stiff =/

maybe if they use the Meyer's choice of cast it would be one awesome movie despite the cheesy story lol

great acting and chemistry can cover it up

Guest chinese tears <3

haha, i think stephanie meyer's twilight world is a little bit too perfect and beautiful in her mind. even if they're supposed to be average, in her mind she still imagines beautiful people. maybe because i'm used to seeing them as they are, i like the actors who are actually in the movies better. especially alice! x) i wouldn't mind if they'd picked someone else for edward and bella though =X

Guest Lindoodoo

OMG YES. Something that she finally decides on that I agree with lol. I hate this whole Twilight thing but I love her preferred castings... Esp. Olivia Wilde. She's amazing.

Guest min.T

ugh...I would've watched this movie for sure if Emily Browning took the female lead. . . .

I really have to agree with the above stated that Ashley Greene as Alice was probably their best pick. It's not even about how pretty she really is...her acting just actually...worked

Guest lovegood

I know its kinda random, but I would of liked Leighton Meester as Rosalie o-o I've always thought so since the first movie XD

Archived