Wisdom teeth...

Jaeho

surgery itself won't hurt if u get the sedation. but if you eat before the needle, doc said it's life threatening. i didn't test to see how much truth is in there.

the 6 hrs after surgery might hurt depending how the teeth were pulled out. if the doc had to cut any of them, they'll hurt more. i didn't find regular pulling to hurt at all. but it's ok since doc gives u pain killers, which you probably won't need since this isn't knee surgery.

you also get antibacterial and anti inflammation meds, so at least my face didn't swell. i can still see the hole from one of my excavation sites though.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jaeho, aren't you really young to be getting your wisdom teeth pulled out? for me and most people i know, it's in our twenties.

i went back several times over the years to get them pulled out one by one, so i think it didn't hurt as much as it could have. i hate to imagine what it would've been like to multiply the pain i felt by four! haha. the actual procedure doesn't hurt at all. can't feel a thing. man, those drugs numb your face like anything. the last time, i seriously thought i was fine afterward, so my friend drove me to blockbuster right after to get some videos, and i ran into these people i knew. and because of the drugs, i couldn't talk right. they stopped to say hi, and in response, i started drooling and babbling incoherently. advice for you... just go right on home after the deed. stock up on ice cream, applesauce, yogurt, soup... b/c you probably won't be able to eat anything solid for awhile.

^ I'm almost 18, which is around the earliest for wisdom teeth... I think. :blink:

I forgot to mention... I'm getting surgery *next week*. x_X;

6 teeth are gonna be gone... *heart beats* lol

Oh yeah, and thank you all for the posts. They're really helpful.

I just got mine. It's growing.. just one in the lower right. It started to hurt when it first came in but it doesn't hurt as much. What would happen if I don't go to the dentist and get it taken out? I hate going to the dentists, they freak me out.

You have to go to the dentist to find out if they're growing properly. If not, you may need to get them taken out.

See this for more info on wisdom teeth:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth...isdom_tooth.htm

Guest cocobar

Yes!! i got it out but only two at the bottom though. It hurts real bad. And after that, u gotta go to the doctor again to get the stiches out. At first, my teeth bleeds real bad and i wasn't able to eat or chew anything for the first 3 days, but it was okay later on though.

Guest crystal_clover

Is it possible not to have any wisdom tooth? Cause I'm 21 and I don't see any new teeth growing ever since I completed my adult teeth when I was 14/15.

Is it possible not to have any wisdom tooth? Cause I'm 21 and I don't see any new teeth growing ever since I completed my adult teeth when I was 14/15.

Yes, it's possible to not grow any. I think the only way you'll ever know if you can't feel/see anything is to go to the dentist. They may be inside your gums.

Guest sixth.

I just found out I'm going to have to have my wisdoms removed and after reading through some comments in this thread, i'm starting to worry. is it similar to getting normal teeth pulled out? how do they get the ones that haven't grown out yet?

Guest x__iiPR0MiSE

I'm supposed to get all four of my wisdom teeth out this Friday.

The dentist said it can't grow because my other teeth are blocking it, so it's still inside my gums. blah. hope it doesn't hurt much..

Guest hunny

is the wisdom teeth bothering u?

if it's not, maybe u can request to pluck out 2 at the right first, so u could eat with ur left first.

after the right side heal, den pluck out the left side.

Oh well, that'll be longer but at least u dun needa starve and ya, less painful. u just get 1/2 the pain of 4 teeths plucked out.

Guest suki_*

ohh yyayyy i got all 4 of my wisdome teeth pulled out last summer and it HURT SO MUCH!! Some ppl go to get them pulled out one by one, but i had this other surgery when i was in grade 6 and i had 12 teeth pulled out at once... that surgery didn't even hurt as much as getting only 4 wisdom teeth pulled out. One because it's bigger than the normal tooth... two because i got a fever after pulling out my wisdom teeth too. I couldn't eat for days, and my face was all swollen like a chipmunk...

just prepare yourself mentally and not think of the pain when it comes, and take alot of T3's that they will perscribe to you :)

Guest foxxx

I had all four pulled out the same day and my face bloated up like crazy >.< The first day or two was horrible pain but thank goodness for the pain meds they prescribe lol. It was a bit tricky trying to eat anything besides liquids though urg. Good luck with yours =)

tsk tsk tsk jaeho, this topic has come up so many times...for shame! :angry:

---

anyways, my experience was this:

i needed all 4 of mine pulled, but i didn't have the $$$, so i just got 2 pulled.

the 2 on my right side were really hurting, and sometimes they swelled up in my mouth and it was -_-

anyways, i got laughing gas, and shots in my mouth to numb it.

i was awake for the whole thing.

but i didn't feel anything painful...just the movement of the tools and pushing and pulling to get the teeth out.

after that i got some medication to take.

there's gonna be gauze in your mouth that you have to change every 30min. my mouth bled for a long time.

BUT, i didn't have a lot of pain.

you know when you have your mouth open for a long time at the dentist and it gets sore? that's how my mouth felt.

and because of that i didn't take the medication.

TAKE the medication, even if you don't have pain!! it helps with the swelling.

my mouth was swollen for like 2-3weeks cuz i didn't take the ibuprofen, then after i started taking it the swelling went down.

i think pulling 2 at a time is better than all 4, because then you can eat with the other side of your mouth.

with just 2 pulled it was hard, but with all 4 pulled it would have been SUPER hard.

and eating soup and jello gets old after a while.

i was dreaming of eating solid foods -_-

Guest ilovefashion

ohh yyayyy i got all 4 of my wisdome teeth pulled out last summer and it HURT SO MUCH!! Some ppl go to get them pulled out one by one, but i had this other surgery when i was in grade 6 and i had 12 teeth pulled out at once... that surgery didn't even hurt as much as getting only 4 wisdom teeth pulled out. One because it's bigger than the normal tooth... two because i got a fever after pulling out my wisdom teeth too. I couldn't eat for days, and my face was all swollen like a chipmunk...

just prepare yourself mentally and not think of the pain when it comes, and take alot of T3's that they will perscribe to you :)

holy moly. TWELVE at one time?! are dentists even allowed to do taht?! ouch.

Guest yummers

i just got mine pulled out like 4 2 days ago! my face is still pretty swollen, it looks like someone just punched me or something.

the only thing im worried about is dislodgine one of the blood clots because if that happens you'll have like exposed bone or something, but its pretty rare.

Guest suki_*

holy moly. TWELVE at one time?! are dentists even allowed to do taht?! ouch.

hhahhaha yeah alotta ppl said it was hard to believe but i had 8 baby teeth pulled out and 4 permanent (they had to cut into my gums for those) after that i had another 3 teeth pulled out by the dentist a year after... SOOOO i never really had any experience in losing my own teeth naturally... i only lost my molars on my own LOL

^ I'm almost 18, which is around the earliest for wisdom teeth... I think. :blink:

I forgot to mention... I'm getting surgery *next week*. x_X;

6 teeth are gonna be gone... *heart beats* lol

Oh yeah, and thank you all for the posts. They're really helpful.

You have to go to the dentist to find out if they're growing properly. If not, you may need to get them taken out.

See this for more info on wisdom teeth:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth...isdom_tooth.htm

i got mine when i was 18 too, and they were growing sideways against my jawline so it would ruin all the work my braces had done for me. i had no choice but to do it.. 6 teeth isn't that much.. lol but good luck !!! eat lots of ice cream and soups hehe and keep poppin that T3's....

Guest UHDPA

~i had 3 pulled out in january, i believe...^^ it was not bad at all. i went to an orthodontist. they are much better than regular dentists. they are basically tooth surgeons. 2 of mine were crooked, so he needed to cut the gum, pull the teeth out, then sew it up. did NOT feel a thing. the only painful part is when they numb ur gums. it's just momentary too...^^ u don't feel anything, trust me. i went home afterwards and they bled for the rest of the evening, not even that bad. swelling went down in the evening too. was eating solid food after about a week...and a half? not bad, don't worry...^^

Guest bombshell

i think it hurts, my sister had her wisdom tooth pulled out 2 weeks ago and we met up to go shopping and she had this um... tissue? stuck in her month that she had to change every 10 minutes because of all the bleeding, and she had to get stiches because once its pulled out it leaves a huge hole in the area its pulled out of. the stiches come out while your eating,,, which is sortah sick. :mellow:

She said the teeth looked like a dagger :w00t:

Its not really my story ---> more like my sisters xD

i don't mean to scare you lol

ok that kinda scared me.

i heard dat for some people, your face shape (jaw to be more exact), changes when u get your wisdom teeth taken out. iz this true?

oOOo. damn.

i had to get oral surgery too cause all of mine were growing in side ways underneath the gums. it doesnt hurt while they do it cause they novicane ur mouth, but after werds it hurts like a mother. mine hurt for like a week and my face was swollen for like a week.

but then again, everyones different.

good luck with getting ur wisdom teeth pulled out!

Guest ulynn

okay/ i think it depends on the expiriences of the dentist.

my mom and bro had theirs pulled out cause they had to wear braces.

and my mom said it didnt hurt.

and my bro who's quite scared of pain. didnt say much

i'll be getting mine pulled out soon.

hahahs maybe i'll just tell u how it feels

hahhaas

Archived